PDA

View Full Version : The Walton Rankings: Who is No. 1?

Olympic Fan
02-05-2014, 11:59 PM
I was watching the Cal-Stanford game last night (great win for Johnny D's kids) and Bill Walton was doing the game.

He said that Cal was No. 1 because they just beat No. 1 (Arizona) and that's the way "algebra" works -- to be No. 1 you have to beat No. 1 (don't get me started on his use of the word algebra).

Even if you concede his system, there was a flaw in his reasoning -- Arizona never beat No. 1 ... they were voted No. 1 by the pollsters.

So who should be No. 1 in the Walton Universe?

That depends on who starts as No. 1.

If you start with preseason No. 1 Kentucky, it goes from Kentucky to Michigan State to UNC to Texas to Michigan State again to Michigan and most recently to Indiana, which hasn't lost since beating Michigan.

But you could start with the defending national champ -- Louisville. In that case, it goes from Louisville to UNC to UAB to LSU to Rhode Island to St. Louis, which is still No. 1.

Which do you think has the better case? Indiana? Or St. Louis?

luburch
02-06-2014, 12:18 AM
Syracuse.

uh_no
02-06-2014, 12:39 AM
I was watching the Cal-Stanford game last night (great win for Johnny D's kids) and Bill Walton was doing the game.

He said that Cal was No. 1 because they just beat No. 1 (Arizona) and that's the way "algebra" works -- to be No. 1 you have to beat No. 1 (don't get me started on his use of the word algebra).

Even if you concede his system, there was a flaw in his reasoning -- Arizona never beat No. 1 ... they were voted No. 1 by the pollsters.

So who should be No. 1 in the Walton Universe?

That depends on who starts as No. 1.

If you start with preseason No. 1 Kentucky, it goes from Kentucky to Michigan State to UNC to Texas to Michigan State again to Michigan and most recently to Indiana, which hasn't lost since beating Michigan.

But you could start with the defending national champ -- Louisville. In that case, it goes from Louisville to UNC to UAB to LSU to Rhode Island to St. Louis, which is still No. 1.

Which do you think has the better case? Indiana? Or St. Louis?

fortunately the walton ranking always converges on the national champion, which is pretty nifty....but I'm inclined to think that UL holds on to the title across seasons until they lose....which means UL gets the nod!

for completeness, here is the walton #1 for all of last season

UK
duke
NCSU
maryland
UNC
NCSU
virginia
GT
FSU
WFU
BC
FSU
NCSU
UNC<first time since duke to hold it for more than a game...clearly it's cursed...
DUKE
Maryland (acc tourney)
UNC
miami (acc tourney)
marquette (sweet 16) <clearly since the ACC had held it since the second game of the season, it must have been the best conference, right?
syracuse (elite 8)
michigan (final 4)
louisville (championship)

this year

Louisville
UNC
UAB
LSU
Rhode Island
St. Louis

where might it go next???

VCU on saturday seems like a likely candidate....though it isn't likely to move out of conference until the tournament

DesertDevil
02-06-2014, 01:12 AM
I'm firmly convinced that Walton's brain is covered in bong resin.

pfrduke
02-06-2014, 01:32 AM
This is the same logic that supports my favorite meaningless piece of recognition - the NBA Regular Season Championship Belt (http://nbachampionshipbelt.com). Just to show how ridiculous it is, the belt currently resides with the Charlotte Bobcats (at least until they lose to the Spurs on Saturday).

BigWayne
02-06-2014, 02:52 AM

I'm guessing he was not a math major at UCLA.

bob blue devil
02-06-2014, 06:23 AM
fortunately the walton ranking always converges on the national champion, which is pretty nifty....

close enough. in theory an ivy team could end the season holding #1, but not make the big dance (since they don't play a conference tourney). or a post-season ban team, like prior uconn, could also toss a monkey wrench in. i can't think of other possible exceptions. do any conferences exclude teams from their tourneys?

El_Diablo
02-06-2014, 08:28 AM
close enough. in theory an ivy team could end the season holding #1, but not make the big dance (since they don't play a conference tourney). or a post-season ban team, like prior uconn, could also toss a monkey wrench in. i can't think of other possible exceptions. do any conferences exclude teams from their tourneys?

The Big Sky Conference tournament only lets the top 8 teams in (out of 11). Previously, the A-10 only let the top 12 teams into their conference tournament, so 3 out of its 15 teams were left out last year. But they only have 13 members now and apparently are expanding the A-10 tournament field to 13, so (assuming SLU has it now), it should find its way into the NCAA tournament. There may be other conferences that only let the top X number of teams in.

Also, N.J.I.T is independent.

wilson
02-06-2014, 08:30 AM
I vote for St. Louis, because a) my wife went to SLU, and b) Billikens are awesome.

weezie
02-06-2014, 10:30 AM
I'm firmly convinced that Walton's brain is covered in bong resin.

Considering the size of that cranium, I'd say that's an impressive build up.:eek:

rasputin
02-06-2014, 10:52 AM
The Big Sky Conference tournament only lets the top 8 teams in (out of 11). Previously, the A-10 only let the top 12 teams into their conference tournament, so 3 out of its 15 teams were left out last year. But they only have 13 members now and apparently are expanding the A-10 tournament field to 13, so (assuming SLU has it now), it should find its way into the NCAA tournament. There may be other conferences that only let the top X number of teams in.

Also, N.J.I.T is independent.

America East (8 of 9), Atlantic Sun (8 of 10), Big Sky (which I think is 7/11, not 8/11), Big West (8/9), Northeast (8/10), Ohio Valley (8/12), Southland (8/14), Sun Belt (8/10)

JasonEvans
02-06-2014, 12:18 PM
With 10 replies to the original post (now 11) I am pretty certain we have put a heck of a lot more thought into this than Walton ever did.

-Jason "Maybe we can turn this thread into an appreciation of JD's Stanford boys winning that game" Evans

El_Diablo
02-06-2014, 12:34 PM
America East (8 of 9), Atlantic Sun (8 of 10), Big Sky (which I think is 7/11, not 8/11), Big West (8/9), Northeast (8/10), Ohio Valley (8/12), Southland (8/14), Sun Belt (8/10)

Yep, good call. Top 7 only.

bob blue devil
02-06-2014, 02:22 PM
We could do a king of the mountain top 25, where teams swap rankings when there is an 'upset'.

uh_no
02-19-2014, 08:31 PM
St louis losing with 11 minutes to go. ... could wet have a new King of the hill?

Duvall
02-19-2014, 08:39 PM
St louis losing with 11 minutes to go. ... could wet have a new King of the hill?

With Paul Hewitt involved? Prrrrrobably not.

Turk
02-20-2014, 12:38 PM
Considering the size of that cranium, I'd say that's an impressive build up.:eek:

If the day ever comes one of these decades when Coach Vitale decides to drop the mic, I'm hoping the big redhead can pick it up and carry on the tradition of completely eccentric random basketball commentary.

Last night, they cut to a shot of the announcers and Walton was resplendent in a logo-free shortsleeve black golf shirt. His partner had the standard-issue suit and tie, and was busting Bill's chops about his clothes. Bill shrugged it off with a laugh, "what's wrong with this?"

Also, (forgive my east coast bias) I have not watched an entire Walton-announced game this season. But the thought occurs to me that you might be able to make a fun drinking (or smoking) game whenever Bill sneaks in a song lyric. Last night I heard him tell a story about a particular player and say, "however, that path is for his steps alone" and I started cracking up. And if that's not enough, you can also throw one in for any John Wooden quote / anecdote; those come around often enough too.

Might have to start setting my bedtime schedule around Walton's TV games...

Turk
02-20-2014, 12:44 PM
With 10 replies to the original post (now 11) I am pretty certain we have put a heck of a lot more thought into this than Walton ever did.

-Jason "Maybe we can turn this thread into an appreciation of JD's Stanford boys winning that game" Evans

Nah, I'd rather turn it into an appreciation of Walton. He was my first basketball idol when I was a little kid. Believe it or not, I still remember watching ND snap UCLA's winning streak at the local rec center.

The fact that Walton is even doing TV after overcoming his stuttering problem is impressive just by itself, never mind whatever ideas actually come out of his mouth.

Duke4life92
02-20-2014, 12:51 PM
I just believe Mr. walton has a few screws loose when listening to him do a game,but man what a great college player he was.His logic just seems a bit flawed.

Dev11
02-20-2014, 01:25 PM
If the day ever comes one of these decades when Coach Vitale decides to drop the mic, I'm hoping the big redhead can pick it up and carry on the tradition of completely eccentric random basketball commentary.

Last night, they cut to a shot of the announcers and Walton was resplendent in a logo-free shortsleeve black golf shirt. His partner had the standard-issue suit and tie, and was busting Bill's chops about his clothes. Bill shrugged it off with a laugh, "what's wrong with this?"

Also, (forgive my east coast bias) I have not watched an entire Walton-announced game this season. But the thought occurs to me that you might be able to make a fun drinking (or smoking) game whenever Bill sneaks in a song lyric. Last night I heard him tell a story about a particular player and say, "however, that path is for his steps alone" and I started cracking up. And if that's not enough, you can also throw one in for any John Wooden quote / anecdote; those come around often enough too.

Might have to start setting my bedtime schedule around Walton's TV games...

I've watched a few games this season that he's called. For those who get his references, he is probably a joy. For those who don't, it's probably awful. I fall more in the first camp so I love it. It's a shame he only really calls Pac-12 games, as I'd love to see him call some Duke games. I think he's a lot more entertaining than Vitale.

hurleyfor3
02-20-2014, 01:35 PM
His planet seems like a very nice place to be, I'll grant him that.

uh_no
02-28-2014, 12:43 AM

and only a week later, st. louis kicks the bucket

your new walton #1?

the DUQUESNE DUKES!

yes ladies and gentlemen.....at 12-15 they are the new king of the land

the dukes will hold on to #1 until at least next wednesday when they will in all likelihood lose to mass....but enjoy the spotlight, guys, with your 4-10 conference record, you've earned it!

OldPhiKap
02-28-2014, 03:29 AM
I But the thought occurs to me that you might be able to make a fun drinking (or smoking) game whenever Bill sneaks in a song lyric. Last night I heard him tell a story about a particular player and say, "however, that path is for his steps alone" and I started cracking up.

I am afraid this would only work for those familiar with the works of Robert Hunter and John Barlow. But yeah, count me in.

OldPhiKap
02-28-2014, 03:32 AM
His planet seems like a very nice place to be, I'll grant him that.

But does it support intelligent life?

Turk
02-28-2014, 09:39 AM

I'm pretty sure it does. Caught a bit of Arizona / Cal earlier in the week. Big Red likes his theosaurus adjectives when he gets excited, and he did a riff on a trip he took to the Galapagos. (I double dog dare you to top that, Coach Vitale!)

Too bad UCLA / Oregon was past my bedtime; I bet he was doing the game...

And double props to the Duquesne Dukes for their ascension to the Walton #1 throne, however temporarily. Papa Turk and a few other members of the extended roost are proud alums.

hurleyfor3
02-28-2014, 02:33 PM

Does it really matter?

If I were to start announcing basketball games, I'd be a lot like Walton. I'd do a game at Stanford and be talking about I-280 and how I bombed a job interview in Menlo Park once. In Boulder I'd be talking more about nearby mountains than the game. I annoy people this way in real life already. Can't fault his style the more I think about it.

Turk
03-07-2014, 09:44 AM
UMass now the Walton #1 with their win over Duquesne, as expected. St Louis @ UMass on Sunday for the chance to re-take the throne.

(But that was just a gratuitous thread bump just so I could share one more Walton broadcasting update. So sue me.)

Last night, I caught UCLA @ Washington, apparently Walton and Pasch's last game of the season, alas. They went out in fine form, however.
Walton highlights:

A Washington player attacks the basket and scores. Walton: "He said to the UCLA defense: 'I'm gonna tell you how it's gonna be!'"

He did an extended bit about a Washington walk-on who made the team despite long rehab from injuries. Met the family and the kid's going to med school and be a doctor. OK, the gushing went on too long, but he closed it out with, "Kids like him are what college is all about. You can't do THAT in the D League!"

Pasch name-drops Warren Zevon. Walton blurts, "Werewolves of London! AHOOOO!"

As the game winds down, Walton does another riff or two with Pasch towards the end of the game, and declares more than once, "I'm the luckiest guy in the world to do what I do." (OK big fella, might be time to dial down the dosage a little bit...)

And as the clock goes to 0:00, Pasch hands it off to Walton, and instead of one last blast of rhetoric all he says is, "I bid you goodnight." Jerry would be proud.

These guys need to be doing tournament games. The PAC-12 is now my new second-favorite conference.

sagegrouse
03-07-2014, 10:05 AM
UMass now the Walton #1 with their win over Duquesne, as expected. St Louis @ UMass on Sunday for the chance to re-take the throne.

(But that was just a gratuitous thread bump just so I could share one more Walton broadcasting update. So sue me.)

Last night, I caught UCLA @ Washington, apparently Walton and Pasch's last game of the season, alas. They went out in fine form, however.

Just think how good Walton will be next year in Seattle and Pullman (as he was this year in Boulder). once the weed is freely available.

Dev11
03-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Does it really matter?

If I were to start announcing basketball games, I'd be a lot like Walton. I'd do a game at Stanford and be talking about I-280 and how I bombed a job interview in Menlo Park once. In Boulder I'd be talking more about nearby mountains than the game. I annoy people this way in real life already. Can't fault his style the more I think about it.

I concur with the above speculation and would also suffer the same problem. Ask my poor silent roommate.

oldnavy
03-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Just think how good Walton will be next year in Seattle and Pullman (as he was this year in Boulder). once the weed is freely available.

I doubt Bill has ever, EVER had any trouble procuring his weed regardless of the law of the land!!

What I want to see is him brand some weed...say "Walton's Wicked Weed"... would love to see that commercial!

uh_no
03-14-2014, 03:11 PM
with today's win, St. Bonaventure claims the king of the hill over st louis.

OldPhiKap
03-20-2014, 09:28 PM
with today's win, St. Bonaventure claims the king of the hill over st louis.

Ugh. St. Joe's took it from Bonnie the next night. Now, UConn takes it in OT. #1 in the East Region until the Final Four, at minimum.

uh_no
03-21-2014, 01:07 AM
Ugh. St. Joe's took it from Bonnie the next night. Now, UConn takes it in OT. #1 in the East Region until the Final Four, at minimum.

:DDDDD

as a nutmegger, i didn't realize it ended up there....gotta love my huskies!....think they'll get bonked on saturday, but that was a fun game to watch tonight!

several OT games today....regardless of results, i love the tourney

ice-9
03-21-2014, 05:03 AM

This means the NCAA national champ will end up as Walton's #1. Dang it! Was hoping for a split result.

uh_no
03-21-2014, 10:36 AM
This means the NCAA national champ will end up as Walton's #1. Dang it! Was hoping for a split result.

if it ever ends in the ivy league, it could end up being a team not in the NCAA tournament.....or even the NIT....so there is the possibility of a split championship!