PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Maryland at Carolina

howardlander
02-04-2014, 07:29 PM
I know this is wrong and, believe me, I'm not happy about, but I don't think I'll be that upset if Carolina beats Maryland tonight. I was sort of hoping Maryland would go 0-18 in their last ACC year, but of course that isn't going to happen. Am I the only one that sort of likes the idea of Carolina beating Maryland by 30 while the crowd chants "ACC"? I sure hope that's what happens in Cameron!

Howard

Kedsy
02-04-2014, 07:33 PM
I know this is wrong and, believe me, I'm not happy about, but I don't think I'll be that upset if Carolina beats Maryland tonight. I was sort of hoping Maryland would go 0-18 in their last ACC year, but of course that isn't going to happen. Am I the only one that sort of likes the idea of Carolina beating Maryland by 30 while the crowd chants "ACC"? I sure hope that's what happens in Cameron!

Howard

Yes, you're the only one.

wilson
02-04-2014, 07:38 PM
Yes, you're the only one.The one and only time this (or any) year that I'll root for the Twerps.

howardlander
02-04-2014, 07:38 PM
Yes, you're the only one.

Well, maybe, and I'm not even sure of it myself. But I just tried to think about cheering for Maryland and I think I threw up a little in my mouth...

wilson
02-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Well, maybe, and I'm not even sure of it myself. But I just tried to think about cheering for Maryland and I think I threw up a little in my mouth...3862

lotusland
02-04-2014, 07:54 PM
Well, maybe, and I'm not even sure of it myself. But I just tried to think about cheering for Maryland and I think I threw up a little in my mouth...

I've pulled for Maryland in every NCAA tournament game in which they faced a non-ACC opponent. I don't really hate them probably because I don't know many Maryland fans. I do wish them bad tidings in the BIG but I always root for Duke and whoever is playing UNC.

rolm
02-04-2014, 07:54 PM
As someone who lives in the DC area, I will never forgive MD for leaving the ACC as I can no longer see my beloved Blue Devils play in person on an annual basis. I hope they lose every remaining game in the ACC. My wish is that somehow George Mason starts a football program and in 5 or 10 years becomes D1 level and then the ACC extends an invitation. I know its a pipe dream, but still.....

hurleyfor3
02-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Somebody has to lose!

Troublemaker
02-04-2014, 07:56 PM

I think rooting for Maryland here is the right move. It places no importance on this being their last ACC season so it keeps with the "not our rival" spirit of things. (To be ignored is more hurtful than to be hated.) Also, our true rival, UNC, has a chance to miss the NCAAT this year. A loss here at home to the Terps could end up being the difference in the end between NIT and NCAAT for the Heels.

hurleyfor3
02-04-2014, 08:01 PM
I don't think "rooting for" is the right terminology. More like "hoping unc sucks more than maryland does".

MartyClark
02-04-2014, 08:04 PM

Howard

I'm don't always believe in moral absolutes. I need to tell you, however, you are absolutely wrong.

Carolina is the rat. Maryland is a mouse studying to be a rat.

Go Terps.

devildeac
02-04-2014, 08:09 PM
I posted this in the This Week in the ACC thread a bit earlier this evening. Worth repeating:

I'm going to have to hold my nose as I post this statement:

go terps

Disinfectant time.

Duvall
02-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Oh hey, Mark Turgeon's team is folding against UNC again. This only happens every time.

JBDuke
02-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Oh hey, Mark Turgeon's team is folding against UNC again. This only happens every time.

Yeah - Maryland making Carolina look like world beaters. Yuck.

devildeac
02-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Good golly, 17-3 with 5 minutes gone. Terps might have done better staying at home yesterday and today.

PSurprise
02-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Looks like there's plenty of good seats available.

MChambers
02-04-2014, 08:40 PM
Don't think I care, however. Classic meteor game.

OldPhiKap
02-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Don't think I care, however. Classic meteor game.

Plenty of time left for both of these teams to suck.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-05-2014, 02:46 PM
I don't really hate them probably because I don't know many Maryland fans.

Consider yourself lucky.

oldnavy
02-05-2014, 08:23 PM
UNC at the beginning of the season was having the opposite results in their games compared to last year. Last year the won the games they should have won, and really didn't win any games that they were not favored.

This year, they were winning the games they were not supposed to win and losing games that you would figure they would win. Until, the game with Syracuse.

Syracuse had little trouble with them. Since then UNC has been able to win the games they should win.

I have seen some pretty aggressive predictions in print, stating that UNC has turned things around... well, in a sense they have. They seem to be able to win against the weaker teams now, but I just don't get the sense that they will be able to knock off top tier opponents now.

The schedule was very kind to them over the last 4 games. This next stretch will tell us a lot about UNC. If they break .500 (5-4) over the rest of the regular season I think that would be a "win" for them.