PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Ichabod Drain
02-04-2014, 08:22 AM
I searched and couldn't find a 2016 recruiting thread yet.

Apparently Duke has Just offered SF Jayson Tatum who is #4 in ESPN rankings. I believe he is the second offer for Duke from the 2016 class with the first being Harry Giles who is listed as a 6-9 PF and #3 in the class.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/jayson-tatum-picks-up-duke-offer/

gam7
02-04-2014, 06:32 PM

Apparently Duke has Just offered SF Jayson Tatum who is #4 in ESPN rankings. I believe he is the second offer for Duke from the 2016 class with the first being Harry Giles who is listed as a 6-9 PF and #3 in the class.

He's out of Chaminade Prep in St. Louis, which, if memory serves, is where Bradley Beal went to high school.

tommy
02-25-2014, 01:35 AM

I for one will not be surprised if Tyus Battle, a 6'5" wing out of New Jersey, is the next 2016 kid to be offered.

throatybeard
02-25-2014, 02:11 AM
He's out of Chaminade Prep in St. Louis, which, if memory serves, is where Bradley Beal went to high school.

This is a very StL thing. I mean, this dynamic exists elsewhere, but it's intense here. Really intense. The private schools are very private.

I'd say more, but I don't want to go PPB.

AAA1980
02-25-2014, 11:42 AM
Its a monster class if we can get Giles or Maker as the centerpeice were looking good

flyingdutchdevil
02-25-2014, 11:43 AM
At this point in time, wasn't JP Tokoto ranked as the #1 player in the country?

Guess it takes a few years for players to develop...

superdave
02-25-2014, 12:41 PM
http://zagsblog.com/articles/harry-giles-hoping-to-be-cleared-by-march-talks-uk-unc-and-duke-friendship-with-jayson-tatum/

Giles article from a week and a half ago. Guess what he mentions.....a package deal!

SoCalDukeFan
03-12-2014, 08:00 PM
I went to Duke in the 60s, long time ago I know. Jack Marin was a very good player and later had a successful NBA career. In 1960, his sophmore year in high school he rode the pine. His team won the State Championship and he did not play.

So how do we really know how good these guys who are only high school sophs really are?

Thanks
SoCal

Des Esseintes
03-12-2014, 08:13 PM
I went to Duke in the 60s, long time ago I know. Jack Marin was a very good player and later had a successful NBA career. In 1960, his sophmore year in high school he rode the pine. His team won the State Championship and he did not play.

So how do we really know how good these guys who are only high school sophs really are?

Thanks
SoCal
There are always going to be guys who develop late, and there are always going to be guys who fizzle after early success. No question there. But there are many, many recruits who look good their sophomore years and remain elite. Proof of imperfection is not proof of worthlessness.

AAA1980
03-13-2014, 11:45 AM
http://duke.247sports.com/Article/2016-CG-Josh-Langford-has-great-experience-at-Duke-182429

UrinalCake
03-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Giles article from a week and a half ago. Guess what he mentions.....a package deal!

Nah, package deals NEVER happen 8-)

MartyClark
03-13-2014, 01:13 PM
No interest in De' Ron Davis from suburban Denver? This kid is really good. 6' 10", athletic and smart.

It look like Arizona, Kansas, Colorado, Wake and others are after him.

flyingdutchdevil
03-13-2014, 02:14 PM
No interest in De' Ron Davis from suburban Denver? This kid is really good. 6' 10", athletic and smart.

It look like Arizona, Kansas, Colorado, Wake and others are after him.

If he's after Zona, Kansas, Colorado, or WF, does that really make him smart?

Des Esseintes
03-13-2014, 04:17 PM

What?

MartyClark
03-13-2014, 06:07 PM

As a huge Colorado Buff fan, I could disagree with you. Colorado is relevant again and their coach, Tad Boyle, is a star.

Other than that, I don't know. I've seen him play and I think he's a very smart player. His school plays Denver East tomorrow night in the semifinals. Denver East has a couple of D1 recruits but not a big man. Notwithstanding the relatively low level of H.S. play in Colorado, I think he's really good and, from a talent perspective, a potential Duke recruit. I don't know about his academics.

I'm not sure whether he's interested in Arizona, Kansas and Colorado, or whether they are interested in him. Bzdelik, as you know, has Colorado connections which explains the Wake interest.

I would be very conflicted if he had to choose between Duke and Colorado.

Henderson
03-13-2014, 08:55 PM
As a huge Colorado Buff fan, I could disagree with you. Colorado is relevant again and their coach, Tad Boyle, is a star.

Other than that, I don't know. I've seen him play and I think he's a very smart player. His school plays Denver East tomorrow night in the semifinals. Denver East has a couple of D1 recruits but not a big man. Notwithstanding the relatively low level of H.S. play in Colorado, I think he's really good and, from a talent perspective, a potential Duke recruit. I don't know about his academics.

I'm not sure whether he's interested in Arizona, Kansas and Colorado, or whether they are interested in him. Bzdelik, as you know, has Colorado connections which explains the Wake interest.

I would be very conflicted if he had to choose between Duke and Colorado.

There are certain ... er ... advantages to going to being in Boulder, Colorado. Just ask Bill Walton. Or Eric Holder.

rhynelander
03-14-2014, 02:30 AM
Whatever are you reefering to?

Edouble
03-14-2014, 02:52 AM
Weed know if he'd just tell us!

Ichabod Drain
05-01-2014, 09:52 AM
I saw Airowe posted that Duke had offered Thon Maker last night but I just went back to his Twitter and it's gone now.

So i searched and Zags is now reporting both Duke and Kansas have offered him.

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 26m
ICYMI: Kansas & Duke have both offered 2016 7-footer Thon Maker. UK, Louisville also in mix http://t.co/M2wXCIz7fI

Any insight Airowe?

roywhite
05-01-2014, 11:00 AM
I'm seeing the name Junior Smith (I believe his correct name is Dennis Smith, Jr.) mentioned as a PG target in the class of 2016 for Duke.

He's from Fayetteville, NC, and apparently is a strong driver/creator and passer.

To my knowledge, no offer from Duke so far; here's his Scout.com profile (http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=6869387)

gam7
05-01-2014, 11:26 AM
I'm seeing the name Junior Smith (I believe his correct name is Dennis Smith, Jr.) mentioned as a PG target in the class of 2016 for Duke.

He's from Fayetteville, NC, and apparently is a strong driver/creator and passer.

To my knowledge, no offer from Duke so far; here's his Scout.com profile (http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=6869387)

He's been getting rave reviews lately and appears to be rising up the rankings. And looks like he just got an offer from Kansas. http://www.fayobserver.com/blogs/sports/acc_basketball/article_60a64f96-ceff-11e3-98a5-001a4bcf6878.html

BD80
05-02-2014, 11:55 AM
CBSsports article on 6'8" SF Jatson Tatum:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24547494/nations-powerhouses-target-elite-soph-jayson-tatum

Usual suspects in pursuit

ACCBBallFan
05-02-2014, 06:25 PM
He is definitely the real deal. Expectation is that he will land at FL continuing the pipeline from David Lee and Beal.

GGLC
05-02-2014, 07:02 PM
We came very, very close to landing David Lee if I recall correctly. He was ultimately swayed by the Florida co-eds.

Olympic Fan
05-02-2014, 08:52 PM
We came very, very close to landing David Lee if I recall correctly. He was ultimately swayed by the Florida co-eds.

I think you overstate a bit. We were definitely recruiting Lee, but I don't think we were ever close to getting him.

roywhite
05-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Another prospect for Duke's Class of 2016

Tyus Battle to visit Michigan and Duke (http://zagsblog.com/duke/tyus-battle-to-visit-michigan-duke-adds-wake-maryland-offers/)

Duke has also stepped up its involvement for the 6-foot-5 Gill St. Bernard’s guard, with assistant Jon Scheyer taking over his recruitment.

“Duke was in contact with us and now we’ve gotten in contact with them,” Gary said. “I know Coach K and [Jeff] Capel as well as Scheyer were at one of his games [in Sacramento with Team Scan], I think maybe his last game. They really like him and they want to stay involved with him.

Scouting reports indicate Battle is versatile and a very good outside shooter.

gam7
06-04-2014, 04:00 PM
New 2016 rankings (and expanded from 25 to 60) from ESPN. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016/view/super60/sort/rank/order/true

Of note:

1. Maker
3. Tatum
5. Giles
9. Dennis Smith, Jr. (top ranked PG)
19. Battle

Also, espn has a detailed Insider article posted on Dennis Smith Jr.'s game (by Bianchardi) for those interested.

FerryFor50
06-04-2014, 04:03 PM
Duke has offers out to the following:

Jayson Tatum
Dennis Smith
Harry Giles

gam7
06-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Duke has offers out to the following:

Jayson Tatum
Dennis Smith
Harry Giles

Speaking of which - check out Harry's new blog post: http://socialhub.usatodayhss.com/portal-page-athlete-blogs/item/2026-the-harry-giles-blog-june-4

[Jayson Tatum and I have] still been talking about playing together in college, but, for now, we're just talking and thinking about it. I won't say that it's 100 percent because it's so early for both of us.

My dream class to go to college with would probably be me, Jayson and Dennis (Smith Jr.). I don't think we'd need anything else. I've talked to Dennis too and we're on kinda on the same page with it.

We'll see how it goes.

CarmenWallaceWade
06-05-2014, 01:24 PM
If you haven't seen his game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRHoo2A4Tt4

It's a highlight reel.. but leaves no question as to how athletic he is.

53n206
06-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Highlight or not, he looks like the real deal.

AAA1980
06-05-2014, 02:03 PM

Crazy how quick he got up on that drive to the basket just scary..Thing about him is hes got style but also substance he makes alot of smart plays and can run an offense..

Seventh Woods got all the hype the past year or two becasue of his high flying youtube clips but hes not nearly as far along as Smith is as a pg..

BlueSheed
06-05-2014, 04:56 PM
I really like Dennis Smith Jr, I think he will be a star.

SilkyJ
06-06-2014, 02:01 AM

Great athlete, little reminiscent of some scoring 1s we've had like Jwill and Kyrie, but jumper not quite as polished as either's.

Anyone else think it was odd that they showed so many plays of him stopping his dribble then hitting a tough, leaning jumper? Tough play to make, and so its highlight-able when you do it...but show it once so its a cool play, show it a bunch of times and the observation becomes that the guy needs to work on his decision making...he's obviously being told to gun it and even take that shot, but I wouldn't include it more than once or twice in a highlight reel.

Semi-random question: is the class of 2016 generally seen as being relatively weak next to '15 and '14 or am I way off?

lotusland
06-06-2014, 07:21 AM
Great athlete, little reminiscent of some scoring 1s we've had like Jwill and Kyrie, but jumper not quite as polished as either's.

Anyone else think it was odd that they showed so many plays of him stopping his dribble then hitting a tough, leaning jumper? Tough play to make, and so its highlight-able when you do it...but show it once so its a cool play, show it a bunch of times and the observation becomes that the guy needs to work on his decision making...he's obviously being told to gun it and even take that shot, but I wouldn't include it more than once or twice in a highlight reel.

Semi-random question: is the class of 2016 generally seen as being relatively weak next to '15 and '14 or am I way off?

Definitely talented but one thing I noticed is that he dribbles a bit high.

AAA1980
06-06-2014, 05:10 PM

Youre way off its thought of to be a very strong class much stronger then 14 and 15..

SilkyJ
06-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Youre way off its thought of to be a very strong class much stronger then 14 and 15..

I actually realized that I meant relative to the HS '13 and '14 class (Parker's HS class and Okafor's HS class), but nonetheless sounds like a strong class.

Duke3517
06-09-2014, 07:33 PM
Please no more one and done players

jimsumner
06-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Please no more one and done players

I think there is virtually no chance that Duke will stop recruiting the Kyrie Irving's and Jabari Parker's of the world. And, IMO, I see no reason why they should.

Duvall
06-09-2014, 08:33 PM
I think there is virtually no chance that Duke will stop recruiting the Kyrie Irving's and Jabari Parker's of the world. And, IMO, I see no reason why they should.

There's also the problem that it's impossible to know who the one-and-dones of the 2017 draft will be at this point.

Kedsy
06-09-2014, 10:23 PM
There's also the problem that it's impossible to know who the one-and-dones of the 2017 draft will be at this point.

Exactly. Is the OP OK with recruiting a "two and through" player? How can you tell the difference when these kids are sophomores or juniors in high school?

MCFinARL
06-10-2014, 09:03 AM
Exactly. Is the OP OK with recruiting a "two and through" player? How can you tell the difference when these kids are sophomores or juniors in high school?

This has got to be one of the biggest challenges coaches face in recruiting these days--as teams reach out to younger and younger players, there is a real premium on identifying players who will work well in your program early, and a coach who gets in early on players who may bloom late can realize some major successes--unless big time programs swoop in at the end and steal the prize.

FerryFor50
06-10-2014, 09:35 AM

As long as Duke keeps recruiting smart, high characters kids like Kyrie Irving, Austin Rivers and Jabari Parker, who cares if they leave after a year?

I just don't want Duke recruiting guys like DeMarcus Cousins... guys that make you wish they weren't associated with your school.

flyingdutchdevil
06-10-2014, 09:38 AM
As long as Duke keeps recruiting smart, high characters kids like Kyrie Irving, Austin Rivers and Jabari Parker, who cares if they leave after a year?

I just don't want Duke recruiting guys like DeMarcus Cousins... guys that make you wish they weren't associated with your school.

Also, if our players can read at a minimum fifth grade level, that would be a huge plus ;)

Henderson
06-10-2014, 10:52 AM

I do. But I'm still glad we recruit them. Not recruiting the best players makes no sense at all. If OAD (or TAT) is a problem, it's systemic and should be addressed at that level, not by sacrificing the program to make a point. Plus, sometimes a great coach can develop a raw talent into an NBA-caliber player,* and surely no one would suggest the coach back off so that the player stays longer. Sean Obi may be such a player.

*BTW, I think this is rare and don't believe generally that coaches "produce" NBA players.

jimsumner
06-10-2014, 10:54 AM

At this point we don't even know if there will be one-and-dones in the 2017 draft.

roywhite
06-10-2014, 11:56 AM

I like the term.

That would leave:
3 and flee
4 or more (with a nod to redshirts and transfers)

As you say, pretty hard to identify these categories during the recruiting process, and it's tricky to balance a team with experience and talent these days.

roywhite
06-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Seeing a new name of interest for the 2016 class, Udoka Azubuike, a Nigerian-born 6'10" big man now on the roster of Potter's House Christian Academy in Jacksonville, FL.

FerryFor50
06-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Seeing a new name of interest for the 2016 class, Udoka Azubuike, a Nigerian-born 6'10" big man now on the roster of Potter's House Christian Academy in Jacksonville, FL.

Wouldn't it just be easier to call it "Hogwart's"?

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-19-2014, 09:10 PM
Wouldn't it just be easier to call it "Hogwart's"?
Gryffindor

roywhite
07-01-2014, 02:04 PM
2016 Top 150 Rankings (https://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-3375/2016)

#2 Harry Giles
#3 Thon Maker
#4 Jayson Tatum
#5 Dennis Smith
#7 Udoka Azubuike
#25 Tyus Battle

tommy
07-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Best I can tell, this is what our list of '16 recruiting targets looks like:

Thon Maker, 7'0" C, Virginia. Top of many rankings, likely to re-classify to 2015. Great ballhandling skills for a guy his size, and good shooter. Very long, but very skinny. Needs to play much more on the inside.
Jayson Tatum, 6'8" SF, St. Louis. Superstar-to-be, so naturally, everybody wants him.
Harry Giles, 6'9" F, High Point, NC. We're right there for this big-time recruit.
Dennis Smith, Jr. 6'2" PG, Greenville, NC. Super quick, excellent handle. Many have him as the top PG in the class. We're recruiting this kid hard.
Tyus Battle, 6'5" wing, New Jersey. Lots of elite level competition to get this kid, who does it all.
Juwan Durham, 6'9" PF, Tampa. Maybe the best power player in the class, which is short on those types of kids.
Seventh Woods, 6'2" SG, South Carolina. Seems like a backup plan to Smith. Stock maybe dropping a bit lately.
Eron Gordon, 6'2" G, Indiana. Brother of Eric. Had him on campus last week. I don't see him in a Duke uniform, from what I've heard.
Josh Langford, 6'6" SG, Alabama.
Edrice Adebayo, 6'8" PF, Pinetown, NC.
Udoka Azebuike, 6'10" PF, Jacksonville, NC

Obviously, as these kids are just rising juniors, this list is going to change, perhaps change a lot as kids improve and get on the radar and others fall off for various reasons. But to the best of my knowledge, this list should give a pretty good idea of where we are right now. Looking forward to seeing a lot of these kids in Vegas and LA in the coming weeks.

rhynelander
07-18-2014, 03:24 PM
If Tyus Jones sticks around for more than two seasons, there's a chance we could run a all Tyus backcourt. Tyus Battle picked up an offer today.

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/5-Star-2016-Guard-Tyus-Battle-offered-by-Duke-29689420

Also three of our top 2016 targets and another one who we've been in contact with are planning on talking about a package deal. I know it's a ways out, and package deals fall through more often than not, but maybe Jah and Tyus will show its a great move. Smith Jr., Tatum and Giles would be scary out there with Sean, Semi, Matt, Grayson and maybe Luke.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/kentucky-kansas-duke-carolina-arizona-watch-harry-giles/

roywhite
07-18-2014, 04:55 PM
If Tyus Jones sticks around for more than two seasons, there's a chance we could run a all Tyus backcourt. Tyus Battle picked up an offer today.

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/5-Star-2016-Guard-Tyus-Battle-offered-by-Duke-29689420

Battle sounds like the kind of wing shooter that Coach K likes.

Tyus Battle Scout.com profile (http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=6529447)

Battle is a big-time perimeter shooter with easy range from downtown and also is a capable pull-up shooter who elevates very high off the dribble. He's a fine handler as well with an above-average first step, and thus he can play without the ball or use it to create for himself. He's slender but not frail, and over time he should develop ample strength to play on both ends of the court. He's also an above-average athlete

johnb
07-23-2014, 05:11 PM
an article on Tyus Battle from a nj newspaper, today:

"Duke is significant from a historical perspective," Gary Battle, Tyus's father, said. "...when Tyus started playing, when he was skilling and drilling, ...he was working in the same gym that Jay Williams did back in the early 2000s, and Luol Deng, who I used to work out with once in a while. So he knew those kids when he was little. He used to root for (Duke) because Luol played for that team.

"We've been Duke fans just because of the closeness of the people in the program. Tyus, we're just a basketball family and we're basketball fans. (The offer) was obviously a big deal."

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-1103496137398489167/boys-basketball-duke-kentucky-some-of-latest-schools-to-offer-gill-st-bernards-guard-tyus-battle/

Obviously, he'll look around and doesn't graduate until 2016, but I'd say that early experiences with Jay and Luol have to help our chances of getting him...

Henderson
07-23-2014, 05:34 PM

"Duke is significant from a historical perspective," Gary Battle, Tyus's father, said. "...when Tyus started playing, when he was skilling and drilling, ...he was working in the same gym that Jay Williams did back in the early 2000s, and Luol Deng, who I used to work out with once in a while. So he knew those kids when he was little. He used to root for (Duke) because Luol played for that team.

"We've been Duke fans just because of the closeness of the people in the program. Tyus, we're just a basketball family and we're basketball fans. (The offer) was obviously a big deal."

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-1103496137398489167/boys-basketball-duke-kentucky-some-of-latest-schools-to-offer-gill-st-bernards-guard-tyus-battle/

Obviously, he'll look around and doesn't graduate until 2016, but I'd say that early experiences with Jay and Luol have to help our chances of getting him...

Thanks for the link. I liked this quote too: "Coach K is a Hall of Fame coach, the USA basketball coach and everything else," Gary Battle said.

K's involvement with USA Basketball has been, and continues to be, a big plus for recruiting. It seems so obvious, but I remember when people were asking whether it would be a distraction for him. "[A]nd everything else." Like character building? Like a Duke education? Like becoming a member of a life-long basketball family on which to draw later in life?

SilkyJ
07-23-2014, 11:58 PM

Good read. Quick Question: Tyus is a 2016 prospect, no? Is he reclassifying?

CarmenWallaceWade
07-24-2014, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the link. I liked this quote too: "Coach K is a Hall of Fame coach, the USA basketball coach and everything else," Gary Battle said.

K's involvement with USA Basketball has been, and continues to be, a big plus for recruiting. It seems so obvious, but I remember when people were asking whether it would be a distraction for him. "[A]nd everything else." Like character building? Like a Duke education? Like becoming a member of a life-long basketball family on which to draw later in life?

Really like our chances here. They seem to love Duke and have for a while. I read somewhere that Battle's Dad used to call his son when he was young and pretended to be Coach K offering him a scholarship.

tommy
07-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Good read. Quick Question: Tyus is a 2016 prospect, no? Is he reclassifying?

Yes, he is 2016. Mods may want to consider moving the Tyus Battle-related posts to the 2016 recruiting thread.

conmanlhughes
07-24-2014, 06:09 PM
This really puts a damper on our chance to obtain him. Love his ability to stretch the floor AND play defense.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/24/thon-makers-guardian-its-not-very-likely-that-he-will-reclassify/

roywhite
07-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Per this from Andrew Slater of 247 (https://twitter.com/ASlater247), 6'10" T.J. Leaf has a Duke scholarship offer now.

2016 looks like a big talent year, and Duke is in on a number of top prospects.

tommy
07-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Duke is also showing interest in M.J. Cage, a 6'9" forward who plays at Southern California power program Mater Dei HS. He's the son of former NBA player Michael Cage.

conmanlhughes
08-01-2014, 01:10 PM
Lots of noise coming off The Devils Den (free forum) that Duke has backed off Dennis Smith Jr. and begun pursuing Derryck Thornton.

mr. synellinden
08-01-2014, 01:22 PM
Lots of noise coming off The Devils Den (free forum) that Duke has backed off Dennis Smith Jr. and begun pursuing Derryck Thornton.

Great. Potentially four more years of posters agonizing over a missing 'n'. At least Smith is nearly impossible to misspell. And oh boy would there be a field day with his first name.

Thornton (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/169307/derryck-thornton) is currently ranked #32 in ESPN's Super 60 (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016/view/super60/sort/rank/order/true).

BD80
08-01-2014, 03:43 PM

Per Blue Devil Nation tweet today:

"Absolutely nothing to the rumors that Duke and Dennis Smith have cooled on one another. Smith remains highly interested in Duke"

MartyClark
08-01-2014, 04:25 PM

Some related noise on IC that Carolina has backed off Dennis Smith.

conmanlhughes
08-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Per Blue Devil Nation tweet today:

"Absolutely nothing to the rumors that Duke and Dennis Smith have cooled on one another. Smith remains highly interested in Duke"
Recruiting is a two way street, we must want him and he has to want us.

Something could possibly be preventing us from persuing him, but he could possibly still have an interest in us.

Odd story, either way.

tommy
08-02-2014, 05:28 PM

Something could possibly be preventing us from persuing him, but he could possibly still have an interest in us.

Odd story, either way.

Really not an odd story. I spent almost an hour talking with Dennis Smith Sr. at AdidasNations this morning and interviewed his son afterwards. There is high interest in both directions. Trust me on that.

tommy
08-03-2014, 02:10 AM
Also, I'm going to change my earlier-stated opinion that I didn't see Thon Maker as a fit at Duke from an academic and/or cultural standpoint. I spent a lot of time talking to him and his guardian tonight, and he's come a long way in the year since I met him. I was much more impressed with him as a young man than I had been previously. His game is terrific too, as I'll detail in posts to come on the AdidasNations event, for those who like to read that kind of stuff. I still think landing Maker is going to be tough, but due to the strides he's obviously made and the maturing he's done, I have to admit I was wrong. I can see him fitting in at Duke if that's the choice he and his guardian make.

FireOgilvie
08-03-2014, 03:05 AM
Also, I'm going to change my earlier-stated opinion that I didn't see Thon Maker as a fit at Duke from an academic and/or cultural standpoint. I spent a lot of time talking to him and his guardian tonight, and he's come a long way in the year since I met him. I was much more impressed with him as a young man than I had been previously. His game is terrific too, as I'll detail in posts to come on the AdidasNations event, for those who like to read that kind of stuff. I still think landing Maker is going to be tough, but due to the strides he's obviously made and the maturing he's done, I have to admit I was wrong. I can see him fitting in at Duke if that's the choice he and his guardian make.

Good post - glad to hear that. It's crazy to think that he's only about to start his junior year of high school.

budwom
08-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Really not an odd story. I spent almost an hour talking with Dennis Smith Sr. at AdidasNations this morning and interviewed his son afterwards. There is high interest in both directions. Trust me on that.

No thanks on that.

tommy
08-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Per this from Andrew Slater of 247 (https://twitter.com/ASlater247), 6'10" T.J. Leaf has a Duke scholarship offer now.

Leaf left the AdidasNations event in the middle, pouting about not getting enough playing time. Really pretty silly because almost all the teams sub at the halfway mark of each quarter, so everyone ends up playing about the same number of minutes. Basketball people here are annoyed, especially since his team was shorthanded to begin with and he left them in the lurch. Not a good look for Leaf at all.

tommy
08-03-2014, 05:11 PM

No thanks on that.

You have a better source? Or you just somehow know better? Do tell . . .

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks for all your effort to keep us informed, Tommy. I would venture to guess 99.99999% of us appreciate it tremendously.

dukebballcamper90-91
08-03-2014, 06:57 PM

Thanks for info.....just watched this kid on youtube. Man he looks like he has some potential. He would look good in Duke blue.

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks for info.....just watched this kid on youtube. Man he looks like he has some potential. He would look good in Duke blue.
although I wouldn't be surprised if K sent a message his way about (apparently) quitting the tourney.

Henderson
08-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Leaf left the AdidasNations event in the middle, pouting about not getting enough playing time. Really pretty silly because almost all the teams sub at the halfway mark of each quarter, so everyone ends up playing about the same number of minutes. Basketball people here are annoyed, especially since his team was shorthanded to begin with and he left them in the lurch. Not a good look for Leaf at all.

Hmm. He isn't related to Ryan Leaf, is he?

BD80
08-03-2014, 11:07 PM

Odd story, either way.

No thanks on that.

Adam Zagoria reporting that Smith has an offer from Duke.

Sounds to me like there is interest.

budwom
08-04-2014, 08:15 AM

Don't expect to see Smith in a Duke uniform. If others want to "trust you," that's fine, but I've seen enough of your posts
to convince me that you often don't know as much as you think you do about recruiting. I'll leave it at that.

bob blue devil
08-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Don't expect to see Smith in a Duke uniform. If others want to "trust you," that's fine, but I've seen enough of your posts
to convince me that you often don't know as much as you think you do about recruiting. I'll leave it at that.

Are you saying you have info that convinces you Smith won't be a blue dev, or are you only saying you don't trust tommy?

budwom
08-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Are you saying you have info that convinces you Smith won't be a blue dev, or are you only saying you don't trust tommy?

The former, which thereby contributes to the latter.

Henderson
08-04-2014, 09:02 AM

Seems harsh. All tommy said is that there is still a mutual interest. I don't think we have any reason to doubt that tommy had a conversation in LA with Dennis Smith Sr. in which the latter said his son is interested in Duke. I read recently that Smith doesn't even have a "list" yet and won't make one until mid-way through the coming season. He says he hasn't heard from Kentucky or Florida yet but would like to. So unless budworm has some unusually good intel, it's hard for me to credit the above statement, particularly in light of how early it is in the process for this 16 year old.

budwom
08-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Seems harsh. All tommy said is that there is still a mutual interest. I don't think we have any reason to doubt that tommy had a conversation in LA with Dennis Smith Sr. in which the latter said his son is interested in Duke. I read recently that Smith doesn't even have a "list" yet and won't make one until mid-way through the coming season. He says he hasn't heard from Kentucky or Florida yet but would like to. So unless budworm has some unusually good intel, it's hard for me to credit the above statement, particularly in light of how early it is in the process for this 16 year old.

I don't see much reason to prolong this. I was reacting to Tommy's cocksure "trust me on this." I am choosing not to do so. Others are certainly welcome to do so.
As a previous poster (sagely) noted, talking to one party hardly indicates "trust me on this" level equal interest by both parties.

Ichabod Drain
08-04-2014, 09:21 AM
I don't see much reason to prolong this. I was reacting to Tommy's cocksure "trust me on this." I am choosing not to do so. Others are certainly welcome to do so.
As a previous poster (sagely) noted, talking to one party hardly indicates "trust me on this" level equal interest by both parties.

You stated you had info that leads you to believe Smith will not be a blue devil, would you share this info?

tbyers11
08-04-2014, 09:25 AM

You are basically saying the opposite of tommy and suggesting that we should believe you when you divulge even less info than tommy. He has interviewed the player's father. You have the right to your opinion but disagreeing strongly with others info while giving none of your own makes you seem like the cocksure one.

roywhite
08-04-2014, 09:38 AM

You are basically saying the opposite of tommy and suggesting that we should believe you when you divulge even less info than tommy. He has interviewed the player's father. You have the right to your opinion but disagreeing strongly with others info while giving none of your own makes you seem like the cocksure one.

I'll support budwom on this one. I have read info that suggests that Duke will be looking elsewhere for a PG. What I have seen is premium info, so I won't quote.

We'll just have to wait and see how things play out.

Troublemaker
08-04-2014, 10:08 AM
I'll support budwom on this one. I have read info that suggests that Duke will be looking elsewhere for a PG. What I have seen is premium info, so I won't quote.

It's premium info going the other way, too, just at a different site. Essentially two Duke recruiting sites are at odds here about what's happening. Will be mildly interesting to see how this plays out.

FerryFor50
08-04-2014, 10:11 AM
It's premium info going the other way, too, just at a different site. Essentially two Duke recruiting sites are at odds here about what's happening. Will be mildly interesting to see how this plays out.

This just goes to show (once again) that NO ONE knows what these kids and schools are really thinking. But what *is* a certainty is that the people who actually speak with the schools, players and parents generally have a better idea of what is going on than those who read what others are saying.

sagegrouse
08-04-2014, 10:51 AM
This just goes to show (once again) that NO ONE knows what these kids and schools are really thinking. But what *is* a certainty is that the people who actually speak with the schools, players and parents generally have a better idea of what is going on than those who read what others are saying.

As Budwom's unauthorized spokesman on this matter, let me suggest that Budwom reacted to the estimable Tommy's statement, "Trust me on that," with a bit of repartee, "No thanks on that." End of story?

BD80
08-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Is there reason to doubt the report that Smith has an offer from Duke?

Isn't an offer conclusive evidence of interest in Smith by Duke?

budwom
08-04-2014, 11:04 AM
As Budwom's unauthorized spokesman on this matter, let me suggest that Budwom reacted to the estimable Tommy's statement, "Trust me on that," with a bit of repartee, "No thanks on that." End of story?

Precisely, Sage. thank you.

roywhite
08-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Is there reason to doubt the report that Smith has an offer from Duke?

Isn't an offer conclusive evidence of interest in Smith by Duke?

Okay, might as well flog this issue further....

The story is that Dennis Smith Jr. was offered by Duke a few months ago, was considered the prime target for a 2016 PG position, but the Duke staff has cooled on him (exact reason unknown, at least to me) and is looking at other PG targets for 2016.

Derryck Thornton may be a target for the 2016 PG spot, which looks to be an important spot to fill, with the assumption that Tyus Jones exits after 2 years of play at Duke.

One obvious problem with Thornton, though -- we'll have frequent misspellings of his last name. Just when we thought we were done with "Thorton". :o

Ichabod Drain
08-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Precisely, Sage. thank you.

Can we clarify whether you do or do not actually have info on the situation as you said?

tommy
08-04-2014, 11:32 AM

I frankly don't care if budwom or anyone else believes or gives credit to anything I say. That's up to him, of course. I can provide certain things as facts -- at the present time, as recruiting is very fluid -- and then I have opinions which I sometimes share too. Anyone is of course free to disregard anything I say, whether it be presented as fact or opinion. I don't care. But as you know, roywhite, as do others who follow this stuff kind of closely, if Duke also looks at other PG's, that does not mean they're no longer interested in Smith, have cooled on Smith, or anything of the kind. They just don't want to put all their eggs in one basket, especially since Smith is not going to be committing anywhere anytime soon. And Derryck Thornton did outplay Smith recently in Colorado. But Duke has reaffirmed its very strong interest in Smith, even after Colorado. So if, say, Derryck Thornton were to visit campus even, say, this week, that just means there's some level of interest in Thornton and Thornton has some level of interest in seeing Duke.

El_Diablo
08-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Straight from the horse's mouth: "N.C. State and Duke are pushing the hardest for me right now,” Smith said. “I like Duke because it’s close to home and they want me to come in right away and contribute."

http://zagsblog.com/articles/dennis-smith-adds-carolina-duke-arizona-offers-talks-recruiting/

FerryFor50
08-04-2014, 11:48 AM
I frankly don't care if budwom or anyone else believes or gives credit to anything I say. That's up to him, of course. I can provide certain things as facts -- at the present time, as recruiting is very fluid -- and then I have opinions which I sometimes share too. Anyone is of course free to disregard anything I say, whether it be presented as fact or opinion. I don't care. But as you know, roywhite, as do others who follow this stuff kind of closely, if Duke also looks at other PG's, that does not mean they're no longer interested in Smith, have cooled on Smith, or anything of the kind. They just don't want to put all their eggs in one basket, especially since Smith is not going to be committing anywhere anytime soon. And Derryck Thornton did outplay Smith recently in Colorado. But Duke has reaffirmed its very strong interest in Smith, even after Colorado. So if, say, Derryck Thornton were to visit campus even, say, this week, that just means there's some level of interest in Thornton and Thornton has some level of interest in seeing Duke.

Tommy, any insight into what Smith meant by this/who he was talking about?

AncientPsychicT
08-05-2014, 07:25 PM
What is the likely timeframe for Smith's commitment? Summer or Fall of 2016?

Do you mean 2015? Barring something extraordinary, he'll be attending school somewhere (hopefully Duke!) in the fall of 2016.

Henderson
08-05-2014, 08:49 PM
As of now, they're not in any hurry. They like Duke a lot. A lot. But they also want to enjoy the recruiting process, as many kids and families do. So I wouldn't expect anything for quite a long time here. One thing that can change things is if Duke does get involved with Thornton or offers another PG. That can put pressure, but I don't think the Smiths are the type of folks to be pressured. Just my gut. And even though he said they're not wanting an offer from Kentucky in particular, I think they do want one. Not only for the prestige, but because I think they'd be in the mix. And because Derryck Thornton has a Kentucky offer. Again, just my gut.

In a story (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/18/five-star-2016-point-guard-dennis-smith-jr-is-the-next-great-guard-out-of-north-carolina/) published by NBC Sports in May, Smith was quoted as saying he hadn't been contacted yet by Kentucky or Florida but would like to hear from them. The story also noted that he'd already received a Duke offer then. He said he wouldn't even have a list until mid-way through his junior (i.e. upcoming) year.

DevilFalcon
08-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Let me say first I have no inside knowledge and very little premium access to recruiting info. I will say that I have two friends who are big NC State fans that both told me today that Duke was moving away from Smith according to 'one of the reliable' guys on pack insider.
I haven't been to the site to look, but perhaps someone here is interested enough to go digging.

Duvall
08-05-2014, 11:38 PM
Let me say first I have no inside knowledge and very little premium access to recruiting info. I will say that I have two friends who are big NC State fans that both told me today that Duke was moving away from Smith according to 'one of the reliable' guys on pack insider.
I haven't been to the site to look, but perhaps someone here is interested enough to go digging.

Why would NC State insiders know what Duke's staff is thinking? They're probably hearing the same rumors we are.

sagegrouse
08-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Why would NC State insiders know what Duke's staff is thinking? They're probably hearing the same rumors we are.

It's called wishful thinking.

FerryFor50
08-05-2014, 11:55 PM

Some Duke sites are saying they're moving away from Smith.

Others are saying they aren't.

God, I love recruiting.

Des Esseintes
08-06-2014, 01:07 AM
Analyst Nate Duncan offered some thoughts (http://www.basketballinsiders.com/top-prospects-of-adidas-nations/) on a few players at the adidas camp. Smith is mentioned, pretty glowingly.

Smith had the best camp of any high schooler, leading his Team Lillard to a string of dominating performances en route to the title. With Smith at the controls, his squad played at a blistering pace and regularly put up over 100 points.

The point guard is fast if not blindingly quick, but has a great two-foot leap that he regularly uses to soar for dunks off the dribble or via alley oop. He also possesses a nice set shot from way beyond the arc, proving that the NBA threes he hit at the Eurocamp were no fluke. Most importantly, he showed the ability to get his teammates involved to a far greater extent than in Treviso, although the defense was of much lower quality.

Another solid aspect of Smith’s game was his efficiency. In the blowout of the 2015 Team Howard, he was 13-14 from the field with the lone miss a three. He had 14 points on eight shots in the Final as well, with 12 points on seven shots and 10 assists in another game.

BlueSheed
08-06-2014, 12:13 PM
I really hope we aren't backing away from Dennis Smith Jr. I think he might end up being the best player in that class. I'm not sure why there would be any reason for us to back off of him unless maybe we want to look for a pass-first type pg.

FerryFor50
08-06-2014, 12:35 PM
I really hope we aren't backing away from Dennis Smith Jr. I think he might end up being the best player in that class. I'm not sure why there would be any reason for us to back off of him unless maybe we want to look for a pass-first type pg.

I don't think his passing will be an issue. He had 10 assists in a game over the weekend.

tommy
08-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Analyst Nate Duncan offered some thoughts (http://www.basketballinsiders.com/top-prospects-of-adidas-nations/) on a few players at the adidas camp. Smith is mentioned, pretty glowingly.

I don't disagree with what that analyst has said here. To me, Smith appeared to be extremely athletic. Quick, fast, an excellent leaper, quick hands. His handle was tight and his shot was very accurate. There are some scouts who think Derryck Thornton is a more cerebral player, and some who are a little dubious of Smith's decisionmaking and abilities as a distributor. But I watched him closely all weekend, and I did not see those as being issues with him. He was a willing passer, he got his teammates involved, but when he had an open shot, the right shot, he didn't hesitate to take it. And he nailed plenty of them.

The first game he played there were some people in the stands heckling him -- this was where the families primarily sat! - about "pass the ball" and "give it up," that sort of thing. I frankly didn't see what they were talking about. He wasn't hogging the ball. At all. Unfortunately, I think the kid got a little rattled by the vitriol, and let it affect his aggressiveness, at both ends, and it wasn't his best game of the tournament by far. The rest of the weekend, though, he wowed me and lots of others with his skills and athleticism.

One more thing about the perceived "flaw" in his game, that being that he is not a great decisionmaker or distributor: he has been getting almost no HS coaching and doesn't even have a real gym to work out in near home. All that is going to change, giving him plenty of opportunity over the next two years of high school to improve further.

I hesitate to compare players, but while I wouldn't quite put him in the Jason Williams category in terms of overwhelming you with those skills and athleticism, he's not far off. He's really not. Remember, Jason was never fawned over for his passing and distributing either. They were fine, but not off the charts. At this point, I would say that Smith strikes me as being of similar style and who falls somewhere between a Will Avery and a Jason Williams. Considering that Avery was the starting PG and a key guy on a team that played in the national title game, and Williams won one and has his jersey in the rafters, that's not too shabby.

See my comments above about him not being a "pass first" PG. Regardless, you can rest assured that we are not backing away from Jr.

In a story (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/18/five-star-2016-point-guard-dennis-smith-jr-is-the-next-great-guard-out-of-north-carolina/) published by NBC Sports in May, Smith was quoted as saying he hadn't been contacted yet by Kentucky or Florida but would like to hear from them. The story also noted that he'd already received a Duke offer then. He said he wouldn't even have a list until mid-way through his junior (i.e. upcoming) year.

Smith has an offer from Florida now (as well as Duke, Kansas, UNC, Arizona and many others.) Still nothing from Kentucky though.

roywhite
08-09-2014, 07:53 AM
As awhom notes in the 2014 American teams thread, the USA U-17 team had a tough challenge from Greece, emerging with an 83-73 win (http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2014/08/usa-u17-men-open-with-83-73-victory-over-greece.aspx).

Boxscore (http://archive.usab.com/mens/u17/14_mu17_game_01_box.html)

Of the Duke targets, Jayson Tatum had 10 points, Harry Giles 4 points, 4 rebounds, and 4 assists and Tyus Battle 3 points.

Double DD
08-12-2014, 06:53 PM
DraftExpress did an interview with 6'11" Australian C Isaac Humphries at the U17 World Championships and he mentioned Duke along with Kansas as one of the schools he's most interested in. He's moving to the US to finish up high school and his recruitment sounds like it's in early stages still. He's averaging 21.5 PPG / 13.8 RPG / 3.8 BPG / 2.0 APG on 55% from the field and 76% from the free throw line so far at the U17s.

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress · Aug 11
Spoke with Isaac Humphries after the game. Mentioned Kansas first when asking about recruiting. Also Duke. But said he's wide open still.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/FIBA-U17-World-Championship-Interview-Isaac-Humphries-4670

diablesseblu
08-23-2014, 12:52 PM
http://nypost.com/2014/08/23/a-gold-medal-and-coach-k-calling-the-summer-of-this-n-j-stud/

sagegrouse
08-23-2014, 12:58 PM
http://nypost.com/2014/08/23/a-gold-medal-and-coach-k-calling-the-summer-of-this-n-j-stud/

A "gisted" version of the article:

The Duke offer was significant to both father and son. Years ago, while working for Aetna, Gary Battle met Krzyzewski at a speaking engagement. Gary told Coach K he would be recruiting his son one day. When they met again a few years later, at an AAU Tournament on Long Island, Gary made sure Tyus, then just 8 years old, shook Krzyzewski’s hand. He used to call up his son pretending to be Coach K ready to offer a scholarship.

“Duke’s an amazing program,” said Tyus, who visited Kentucky and Louisville this summer and plans to attend Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness Oct. 17 and Duke’s Countdown to Craziness Oct. 25.

Battle, a stellar student with a 3.2 GPA, averaged 22.5 points, 6.3 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game last season at Gill St. Bernard’s in Gladstone, N.J..

superdave
08-29-2014, 11:28 AM
http://www.chatsports.com/north-carolina-tar-heels/a/Jayson-Tatum-Talks-Possible-Package-with-Harry-Giles-Dennis-Smith-Jr-2-9963728

Jayson Tatum plans to cut his list basically in half. He also discusses a package deal with Dennis Smith Jr and Harry Giles and visiting Duke.

tommy
08-29-2014, 11:43 AM
http://www.chatsports.com/north-carolina-tar-heels/a/Jayson-Tatum-Talks-Possible-Package-with-Harry-Giles-Dennis-Smith-Jr-2-9963728

Jayson Tatum plans to cut his list basically in half. He also discusses a package deal with Dennis Smith Jr and Harry Giles and visiting Duke.

Yeah, that list-cutting by Tatum is expected really any day now. Smith and Giles are good friends and I have been told that getting one could really help in getting the other. Tatum is not as close as are the two North Carolina kids, but getting closer, and the whispers about him wanting to play with the other two have started to come up as well, but I feel less confident in that at this point.

tommy
09-01-2014, 11:17 PM
Sure enough, Jayson Tatum cut his list to ten schools, including Duke. The rest: Arizona, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, UNC, St. Louis, UConn, and Wake Forest.

Henderson
09-02-2014, 12:59 AM
Anyone know what the recruiting situation is for this New Zealander? 16 years old. 6-8, 230. He was one of the last two cuts when New Zealand cut its World Cup roster from 14 to 12. Here's a link (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2167732-new-zealand-name-undersized-squad-for-fiba-world-cup) that discusses him. Since he's been playing in New Zealand's NBL, maybe he's ineligible for NCAA play?

Ichabod Drain
09-23-2014, 11:12 AM
According to Clint Jackson and Adam Rowe on twitter (https://twitter.com/search?q=coach%20k%20dennis%20smith&src=typd), Coach K visited Dennis Smith Jr today.

So that resolves the little controversy a month or so back about whether Duke had moved on from him or not.

Looks like the side saying we hadn't moved on was correct.

Awesome, this kid is a tremendous talent. He seems really fond of Duke as well.

Watch this kid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7E8VbJV6-o) and keep in mind all of this is before he starts his junior year of high school.

Also, from Jason Jordan's twitter:

Jason JordanVerified account‏@JayJayUSATODAY (https://twitter.com/JayJayUSATODAY)

.@Jhooper_3 (https://twitter.com/Jhooper_3) on his visit w/ #Duke (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Duke?src=hash) today: "They told me I'm their only priority at the PG position. Felt good." Smith's Blog coming Tues...

Figured I would leave this here.

rhynelander
09-23-2014, 12:06 PM
After visiting Ingram (2015) and Smith Jr. yesterday, K is headed to St. Louie to see Jayson Tatum today.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/duke-illinois-to-visit-jayson-tatum/

I enjoyed watching the FIBA games but I'm glad he's back on the recruiting trail, the article mentions again the incredible package that Tatum, Giles and Smith Jr. have discussed. I know we're a ways out but that would be just silly to get those three.

gumbomoop
09-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Also, from Jason Jordan's twitter:

Jason JordanVerified account‏@JayJayUSATODAY (https://twitter.com/JayJayUSATODAY)

.@Jhooper_3 (https://twitter.com/Jhooper_3) on his visit w/ #Duke (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Duke?src=hash) today: "They told me I'm their only priority at the PG position. Felt good." Smith's Blog coming Tues...

Way back on some thread, several of us had a conversation re the fact that Krzyzewski was not recruiting a PG in the class of 2015. I speculated that, should both Tyus and Rasheed leave for the NBA next summer, Luke Kennard would be the starting PG in 2015-16. Others felt sure that either or both of Rasheed and Tyus would return for 2015-16.

Now this from Dennis Smith, with implications. I'm not informed about the inside scoop on recruiting, so I don't know whether the staff is perfectly comfortable with a recruit announcing that he's Duke's "only priority" at PG for 2016. For present purposes, let's assume both that (a) Smith's statement is accurate, and (b) "only priority" pretty much translates to "only."

If -- if -- Smith is Krzyzewski's only real 2016 PG target, then that means either (c) K is pretty confident that Smith will choose Duke, or (d) if Smith goes elsewhere, Kennard will do fine as the main PG in 2016-17, whether or not he's played any PG in 2015-16.

Btw, and to return just briefly to 2015 recruits, IMO Kennard's current ESPN and Scout ranking-- 26 and 23 -- is too low. No, I haven't thoroughly scouted the class of 2015. But Kennard is a special, multi-talented, multi-positional guy, bomber, driver-finisher, passer, and amphibious.

I'll hope Dennis joins Matt, Grayson, and Luke, giving Duke a Sr-Jr-So-Fr backcourt in 2016-17, and a prospectively great one at that.

We're gold.

Kedsy
09-23-2014, 12:56 PM
If -- if -- Smith is Krzyzewski's only real 2016 PG target, then that means either (c) K is pretty confident that Smith will choose Duke, or (d) if Smith goes elsewhere, Kennard will do fine as the main PG in 2016-17, whether or not he's played any PG in 2015-16.

Or it could just mean K is confident that either Tyus and/or Rasheed will be back in 2015-16. In my mind, that's still the most likely alternative in your hypothetical.

gumbomoop
09-23-2014, 01:18 PM
Or it could just mean K is confident that either Tyus and/or Rasheed will be back in 2015-16. In my mind, that's still the most likely alternative in your hypothetical.

We're not quite on the same page here, probably because we looking ahead to both 2015-16 and 2016-17, and possibly because I just wasn't careful enough to distinguish between those 2 seasons.

You and others convinced me long ago that my earlier speculation re Luke starting at PG in 2015-16 was unlikely, as either/both Tyus/Rasheed will return. [I continue to think that, should either Tyus or Rasheed leave next summer, Luke will get the few backup PG minutes in 2015-16; but that's tangential to my main point, which is about 2016-17 PG situation.]

My main point in my Dennis Smith post was premised on the certainty that Rasheed and the high likelihood that Tyus would be gone by 2016-17. Thus, if -- if -- Smith is only 2016 PG target, then K is super confident re Smith or, in the event of missing out on "only priority" Smith, K is also confident that Soph Kennard would do fine as main PG in 2016-17.

DukeRocks12
09-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Yeah, that list-cutting by Tatum is expected really any day now. Smith and Giles are good friends and I have been told that getting one could really help in getting the other. Tatum is not as close as are the two North Carolina kids, but getting closer, and the whispers about him wanting to play with the other two have started to come up as well, but I feel less confident in that at this point.

Hey Tommy, as of right now, where do you think Giles, Tatum, and Smith Jr ultimately land? Many have Smith and Giles to Duke, and Tatum a battle between Duke and Kansas?

Kedsy
09-23-2014, 02:27 PM
My main point in my Dennis Smith post was premised on the certainty that Rasheed and the high likelihood that Tyus would be gone by 2016-17. Thus, if -- if -- Smith is only 2016 PG target, then K is super confident re Smith or, in the event of missing out on "only priority" Smith, K is also confident that Soph Kennard would do fine as main PG in 2016-17.

Oh, I'm sorry. I misread your post. You may be right. It's also possible K thinks he can quickly come up with a backup plan if "only priority" Smith decides to go elsewhere.

Alternatively, he might feel that senior Matt Jones could man the point adequately. To me that seems more likely, if only because we've already seen Matt play college ball (unlike Luke) and Matt will be a senior. Or maybe some combination of Matt and Luke. I don't think there's anyway to know for sure at this point, but if Tyus leaves before his junior season and Dennis Smith, Jr., goes elsewhere, your hypothesis is certainly plausible.

gumbomoop
09-23-2014, 03:23 PM
Alternatively, he might feel that senior Matt Jones could man the point adequately. To me that seems more likely, if only because we've already seen Matt play college ball (unlike Luke) and Matt will be a senior. Or maybe some combination of Matt and Luke. I don't think there's anyway to know for sure at this point, but if Tyus leaves before his junior season and Dennis Smith, Jr., goes elsewhere, your hypothesis is certainly plausible.

I know this (my) speculation re PG in 2016-17 will irritate some posters. But Smith's "only priority" comment did catch my eye, and raises questions, as Rasheed and probably Tyus will be gone.

Yes, in the no-Smith scenario, a combo of Matt and Luke is likely. I just haven't seen enough of Grayson to know whether he'd be in that PG mix. Truth is, of course, I've not seen Matt handle the ball much. Nor Luke ..... but in the 2-3 times I've seen Luke, my assessment is that his handle is better than merely good. Also vision.

Lots of time to sort this one out. Hope Smith, Jr., joins the Devils.

Kedsy
09-23-2014, 03:41 PM
I know this (my) speculation re PG in 2016-17 will irritate some posters. But Smith's "only priority" comment did catch my eye, and raises questions, as Rasheed and probably Tyus will be gone.

Yes, in the no-Smith scenario, a combo of Matt and Luke is likely. I just haven't seen enough of Grayson to know whether he'd be in that PG mix. Truth is, of course, I've not seen Matt handle the ball much. Nor Luke ..... but in the 2-3 times I've seen Luke, my assessment is that his handle is better than merely good. Also vision.

I don't think it's irritating at all. For years, Coach K seemed to target recruits at certain positions and go all in on that one guy. In the mid-2000s, that apparent strategy appeared to backfire a couple times, and in recent years K seemed to have "widened his net." If Coach K is going back to the old ways, it presumably means (a) the kid (Smith, Jr) is really special; (b) Coach K is very confident he'll land him; or (c) there just aren't any other 2015 or 2016 PGs that Coach K is interested in. Or some combination of the three.

That said, missing on "all in" recruits has left us scrambling at certain positions in the not-too-distant past, so I think it's interesting to speculate on what the team would look like in the case of a miss.

It's even more interesting if you consider the possibility that three of our four 2014-15 freshmen could easily be gone by 2016-17. Unless we get Brandon Ingram, that would leave us with a known roster of:

Sean Obi
Semi Ojeleye
Matt Jones
Grayson Allen
Chase Jeter
Luke Kennard

So we're going to need a fairly large freshman class in 2016-17, with guys who can hopefully join the rotation at PG, SF and/or PF/C. Sounds like Smith, Jr., Tatum, and Giles would be pretty good fits.

tommy
09-23-2014, 11:26 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. I misread your post. You may be right. It's also possible K thinks he can quickly come up with a backup plan if "only priority" Smith decides to go elsewhere.

Here's something else to consider: The staff was at Brandon Ingram's open gym yesterday, and Brandon is going to be playing a lot of point guard this coming year, at 6'8". His HS team needs him to do it, and he is showing the skills necessary to handle the job. The staff watched him play for over an hour yesterday, playing primarily the point. I don't know if he'll be able to handle it against pressure at the college level -- I haven't seen him pressured all over the court by high-level defenders -- but Grant Hill handled the ball a lot at 6'8" while at Duke, so who knows? Maybe Ingram could do the same.

tommy
09-23-2014, 11:33 PM
Hey Tommy, as of right now, where do you think Giles, Tatum, and Smith Jr ultimately land? Many have Smith and Giles to Duke, and Tatum a battle between Duke and Kansas?

It's just too early to tell. I have a better feel for Smith than I do for the other two, and I like our chances -- at this point -- with him. He and Giles are good friends, and with Giles being a NC kid and Coach K and he having such a longstanding relationship, I think we're going to be right there for him too. Duke visited Tatum today, so I'll be curious to find out what the vibe is there post-visit. Also, Tatum has a very long list of serious big-time national suitors, as well as his more local ones. The competition for him is fierce.

We have to keep in mind that these kids have a long way to go before they're going to commit anywhere, and a lot can happen to change the dynamics that exist this far out. A lot.

FerryFor50
09-23-2014, 11:37 PM
So we're going to need a fairly large freshman class in 2016-17, with guys who can hopefully join the rotation at PG, SF and/or PF/C. Sounds like Smith, Jr., Tatum, and Giles would be pretty good fits.

I thought the same.

I also thought it was funny that Smith said Duke would be "willing" to take a package deal of him, Tatum and Giles. OF COURSE THEY WOULD. That would be a fantastic class.

jv001
09-24-2014, 07:01 AM
Here's something else to consider: The staff was at Brandon Ingram's open gym yesterday, and Brandon is going to be playing a lot of point guard this coming year, at 6'8". His HS team needs him to do it, and he is showing the skills necessary to handle the job. The staff watched him play for over an hour yesterday, playing primarily the point. I don't know if he'll be able to handle it against pressure at the college level -- I haven't seen him pressured all over the court by high-level defenders -- but Grant Hill handled the ball a lot at 6'8" while at Duke, so who knows? Maybe Ingram could do the same.

So did Billy King(6'7") and he did ok as well. Like you say, who knows? GoDuke!

Kedsy
09-24-2014, 11:29 AM
So did Billy King(6'7") and he did ok as well. Like you say, who knows? GoDuke!

While Billy King did have 3.5 assists per game his senior season, he had the third-most assists on that team. So King handled and distributed the ball but he wasn't in any sense the point guard (Quin Snyder was). In his senior season, Grant Hill had more assists than Duke's next two top assist-getters combined. He didn't guard the other team's PG, but he essentially ran the team on offense.

Also, small nit-pick, but GoDuke.com lists Billy King at 6'6" (not 6'7").

jimsumner
09-24-2014, 01:07 PM
While Billy King did have 3.5 assists per game his senior season, he had the third-most assists on that team. So King handled and distributed the ball but he wasn't in any sense the point guard (Quin Snyder was). In his senior season, Grant Hill had more assists than Duke's next two top assist-getters combined. He didn't guard the other team's PG, but he essentially ran the team on offense.

Small nit-pick but Grant Hill had 176 assists as a senior. Duke's next two assist-getters totaled 185, Capel with 108, Collins with 77.

mr. synellinden
09-24-2014, 01:12 PM

Billy King was a good passer for a wing player, but he was not a distributor/handler in the sense we are talking about and contemplating for Ingram. Billy was an average to maybe even slightly below average ball handler for his size/position. He rarely shot the ball, so he had plenty of opportunities to pass and get assists. Danny Ferry was a terrific passer for a big man. What made that '88 team so great was its defense. When people talk about Duke's pressure man-to-man defense and the ability to create offense off of defense through turnovers, the '88 team is one of the best examples - of course led by King, who was national defensive player of the year (just ask Mark Macon).

Kedsy
09-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Small nit-pick but Grant Hill had 176 assists as a senior. Duke's next two assist-getters totaled 185, Capel with 108, Collins with 77.

Oops, my bad. For some reason I skipped over Chris Collins and added up Jeff Capel and Marty Clark (166).

Henderson
09-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Smith's "only priority" comment did catch my eye, and raises questions, as Rasheed and probably Tyus will be gone.

My recollection is that Kyrie Irving reported being impressed that K told him that K wanted him to be Duke's PG. The staff seems to be sending the same message to Smith, and it seems to be resonating.

I hope Tyus displays talent sufficient to make him an early-entry lottery guy. At this point, he's in my "TBD" category. The 2016 NBA mock drafts I've seen project him as a late 1st rounder in 2016. I think it's just too early to tell how he'll develop and how quickly.

Kedsy
09-24-2014, 01:56 PM
My recollection is that Kyrie Irving reported being impressed that K told him that K wanted him to be Duke's PG. The staff seems to be sending the same message to Smith, and it seems to be resonating.

I hope Tyus displays talent sufficient to make him an early-entry lottery guy. At this point, he's in my "TBD" category. The 2016 NBA mock drafts I've seen project him as a late 1st rounder in 2016. I think it's just too early to tell how he'll develop and how quickly.

While NBADraftNet (http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft) has Tyus Jones as the 26th pick in the 2016 Draft (and not in the 2015 mock at all), Draft Express has him 14th in the 2015 Draft (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tyus-Jones-46062/), and NBA Draft Room has him "lottery to mid-first round pick (http://www.nbadraftroom.com/2013/07/tyus-jones-nba-draft-scouting-report.html)" in the 2015 Draft.

That said, I agree with you that it's too early to tell for Tyus. NBADraftNet's scouting report (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/tyus-jones) describes Tyus as a crafty, above-average NBA starter with low-upside (due to lack of size, strength, and athleticism) who will probably struggle defensively and to finish over size in the NBA. If accurate, that doesn't sound like a guy that NBA teams will be scrambling over each other to take in the lottery.

And if that's true, he could be anywhere from a one-year guy in college to a four-year guy. We just won't know until we see him play, and even then, it depends on Tyus's desires. If he's already perceived as low-upside, then staying in school shouldn't hurt his draft stock. But since he's also generally perceived as the 2nd best PG in this year's high school class, he could probably leave at any time and get drafted in that same mid-first round area. It may all depend on whether he'd rather be in college or in the NBA.

Henderson
09-24-2014, 02:13 PM
While NBADraftNet (http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft) has Tyus Jones as the 26th pick in the 2016 Draft (and not in the 2015 mock at all), Draft Express has him 14th in the 2015 Draft (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tyus-Jones-46062/), and NBA Draft Room has him "lottery to mid-first round pick (http://www.nbadraftroom.com/2013/07/tyus-jones-nba-draft-scouting-report.html)" in the 2015 Draft.

That said, I agree with you that it's too early to tell for Tyus. NBADraftNet's scouting report (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/tyus-jones) describes Tyus as a crafty, above-average NBA starter with low-upside (due to lack of size, strength, and athleticism) who will probably struggle defensively and to finish over size in the NBA. If accurate, that doesn't sound like a guy that NBA teams will be scrambling over each other to take in the lottery.

And if that's true, he could be anywhere from a one-year guy in college to a four-year guy. We just won't know until we see him play, and even then, it depends on Tyus's desires. If he's already perceived as low-upside, then staying in school shouldn't hurt his draft stock. But since he's also generally perceived as the 2nd best PG in this year's high school class, he could probably leave at any time and get drafted in that same mid-first round area. It may all depend on whether he'd rather be in college or in the NBA.

Agree with all of this. Implicit I think in your comments is that his NBA draft stock may be revealed in the first year or two. If that's the case, he may not want to wait an extra year or two at Duke if doing so would not improve his stock. Being the 15th pick in 2016 is worth more financially than being the 15th pick in 2017. Possible NBA early-entry criteria changes add an extra variable for guys in his class.

Kedsy
09-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Implicit I think in your comments is that his NBA draft stock may be revealed in the first year or two.

Could be. If the NBADraftNet scouting report accurately reflects what the real NBA scouts think, then I think there are three basic possibilities:

(1) He shows in his first year or two that he's way better than his high school scouting report (in which case, he should probably enter the earliest draft after this occurs);

(2) He doesn't live up to the current scouting report (in which case, he should probably stay four years);

(3) The scouting report proves to be accurate (in which case he should enter the draft when it feels right for him -- the only cost/benefit is how much he enjoys college vs. the extra money from entering the draft earlier).

Since his supposed weaknesses (lack of size, lack of athleticism) are unlikely to change, I suspect the most likely possibility is #3 above, which would imply that his draft stock will stay the same between now and whenever he decides to go pro. However, your observation is still accurate, because we can't rule out #1 or #2 until we see him play on the college level for at least a little while.

BD80
09-24-2014, 03:22 PM
... What made that '88 team so great was its defense. ... - of course led by King, who was national defensive player of the year (just ask Mark Macon).

No. Please don't ask Mark. I understand that he still dissolves into a puddle of goo at the mere mention of Billy King's name.

Skitzle
09-25-2014, 03:24 AM

This doesn't matter, unlike John Calipari, Coach K hold his kids back so they DONT succeed in the NBA. Players like Mason Plumlee stay for too long hurts their draft stock and their NBA potential and earnings.

K will hide Jones behind Cook at PG. Giving him limited time to shine, forcing him back for next year.

OBVIOUSLY!

PS. This post is dripping with sarcasm.

rhynelander
10-13-2014, 11:46 PM
http://247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-offers-top-10-2016-point-guard-32026783

let the Smith vs. Thornton vs. Smith &Thornton combo backcourt debate begin...

camion
10-14-2014, 02:33 PM
I vote for &.

jimsumner
10-14-2014, 07:48 PM
I vote for &.

Highly, highly unlikely Duke would get both. For all practical purposes, I believe they are mutually exclusive.

conmanlhughes
10-14-2014, 08:18 PM
Highly, highly unlikely Duke would get both. For all practical purposes, I believe they are mutually exclusive.

Personally, I would prefer Smith Jr. And Tyus Battle rather than both Smith Jr. And Thornton. I feel that Smith Jr. Has more long-term potential and Kyrie-esque skills.

superdave
10-19-2014, 01:42 PM
http://zagsblog.com/articles/tyus-battle-enjoys-kentucky-duke-up-next/

Battle and the list of names at Kentuckys Madness event.

FerryFor50
10-20-2014, 10:04 AM
Honest question...

At what point does it become a detriment to your recruiting to have Drake appear at the events? :D

wilko
10-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Honest question...

At what point does it become a detriment to your recruiting to have Drake appear at the events? :D

When he starts pulling more females than Cal budgeted for hosting recruits.

Des Esseintes
10-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Honest question...

I will never understand how such a limp, embarrassing, feelingsy rapper became so popular, particularly with athletes.

AncientPsychicT
10-29-2014, 04:33 AM
As many of you know, top Duke target and top 5 2016 recruit Harry Giles badly injured his knee a little over a year ago and had to sit out a year.

Well, he's back. And he has a mixtape (http://ballislife.com/harry-giles-the-return-mixtape/) of some highlights since his return. It's nothing too special -- it's a mixtape, so you're going to get what you'd expect, i.e. a lot of dunks and flashy highlights -- but I thought it nice to see him back in action.

A couple of observations:
- He does not appear to have lost any explosiveness or quickness due to the injury
- For a 6'10" big man, his handle is quite good (at least against the competition)

johnb
10-31-2014, 09:28 AM
As many of you know, top Duke target and top 5 2016 recruit Harry Giles badly injured his knee a little over a year ago and had to sit out a year.

Well, he's back. And he has a mixtape (http://ballislife.com/harry-giles-the-return-mixtape/) of some highlights since his return. It's nothing too special -- it's a mixtape, so you're going to get what you'd expect, i.e. a lot of dunks and flashy highlights -- but I thought it nice to see him back in action.

A couple of observations:
- He does not appear to have lost any explosiveness or quickness due to the injury
- For a 6'10" big man, his handle is quite good (at least against the competition)

Two thirds of the way through this video, Giles comments on his recruiting, that he's kinda close to knowing, to getting locked in, before meandering back to keeping his options open. All things considered, I'd say we're in good shape with him--and he'd be awesome to watch with a Duke uniform on.

http://usatodayhss.com/2014/harry-giles-iii-talks-unc-and-duke-visits-coaches-trying-to-snapchat-and-more

JPtheGame
11-01-2014, 07:45 AM
Quite a few reasons to love Jahlil Okafor, here's one more. During CTC Jahlil asked Giles, point blank, "whatcha waiting for?" The kid's a closer. Giles posted the story on his twitter feed.

JPtheGame
11-14-2014, 03:24 PM
TJ Leaf
http://zagsblog.com/articles/2016-forward-t-j-leaf-to-announce-next-friday/#more-124228

Any thoughts here? I'll be honest in that I haven't seen much (internet only) about Leaf and Duke but he lists Duke on his final 6.
The profile makes sense (stretch 4, multiple positions) but I watch recruiting as close as I can (The first step is admitting you have a problem...) and i just dont see s strong connection.

ChillinDuke
11-14-2014, 03:41 PM
TJ Leaf
http://zagsblog.com/articles/2016-forward-t-j-leaf-to-announce-next-friday/#more-124228

Any thoughts here? I'll be honest in that I haven't seen much (internet only) about Leaf and Duke but he lists Duke on his final 6.
The profile makes sense (stretch 4, multiple positions) but I watch recruiting as close as I can (The first step is admitting you have a problem...) and i just dont see s strong connection.

Crystal Ball says Arizona.

Don't think Duke was overly involved here. Haven't heard much about him.

- Chillin

jimsumner
11-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Crystal Ball says Arizona.

Don't think Duke was overly involved here. Haven't heard much about him.

- Chillin

Duke was very involved with Leaf for a time. But he canceled a scheduled visit to Duke for CTC.

The word on the street is he doesn't see himself co-existing with Giles. Read into that what you will.

I think Leaf is on a back burner at best.

tommy
11-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Yeah, Coach K and a couple of the assistants were out to visit Leaf in Southern California just a month ago. They were very interested in him. But when Leaf canceled for CTC, the handwriting was on the wall. This one ain't happening.

Somehow, we will have to soldier on.

JPtheGame
11-15-2014, 01:20 AM
Duke was very involved with Leaf for a time. But he canceled a scheduled visit to Duke for CTC.

The word on the street is he doesn't see himself co-existing with Giles. Read into that what you will.

I can live with that.

AncientPsychicT
11-15-2014, 01:29 AM

I think Leaf is on a back burner at best.

I agree with the staff then, I'd rather have Giles. (https://twitter.com/Scout4GMR/status/533495623258238977)

Duvall
11-19-2014, 04:01 PM
A Leaf in the desert? (http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1482583-leaf-s-decision-is-in?utm_content=buffer834dc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer)

T.J. Leaf, a 6-foot-10 power forward out of El Cajon (Calif.) Foothills Christian, informed Scout that he has given a verbal commitment to Arizona, giving them the highest rated pledge in the 2016 class.

Ichabod Drain
12-03-2014, 08:42 AM
The whole coaching staff watched Harry Giles last night. Apparently Roy and Hubert Davis were there as well with Theo Pinson who played high school ball with Giles. They are going all out for him.

superdave
12-03-2014, 08:51 AM
The whole coaching staff watched Harry Giles last night. Apparently Roy and Hubert Davis were there as well with Theo Pinson who played high school ball with Giles. They are going all out for him.

From this Zagsblog article (http://zagsblog.com/articles/jayson-tatum-talks-schools/#more-125224) -

"Kansas, Wake Forest, UNC and Duke are the only schools to offer the trio of Tatum, Harry Giles and Dennis Smith Jr., That group has discussed a big package deal."

Ichabod Drain
12-03-2014, 09:02 AM
From this Zagsblog article (http://zagsblog.com/articles/jayson-tatum-talks-schools/#more-125224) -

"Kansas, Wake Forest, UNC and Duke are the only schools to offer the trio of Tatum, Harry Giles and Dennis Smith Jr., That group has discussed a big package deal."

Zags provides a lot of good recruiting info but he also asks these young kids a lot of leading questions. I don't think these kids come out and say package deal or anything like that. Zags asks them about what it would be like to play with each other in college or similar questions, then he shapes his narrative around their answers to a certain degree.

CarmenWallaceWade
12-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Per a Clint Jackson tweet this morning:

"@clintjackson1: New article posted on http://t.co/0Awh1NjIzg on 2016 PG Derryck Thornton. The Devils are surging and will visit him this weekend."

DavidBenAkiva
12-06-2014, 12:42 PM
I've just begun reading through this discussion board and was trying to wrap my head around the potential team and targets for 2016.

Projected Team:

Guards: Matt Jones (Sr), Grayson Allen (Jr), Tyus Jones (Jr, unlikely on the team), and Luke Kennard (So)
Forwards: Semi Ojeleye (Sr), Justise Winslow (Jr, unlikely on the team), and Chase Jeter (So)
Post/Center: Sean Obi (R-Jr)

So that's 8 potential scholarship players and 6 likely. It's also possible Brandon Ingram might be a sophomore forward on the team (are we recruiting anyone else in 2015?).

I see (sans Tyus Jones and Justise Winslow) Matt Jones, Chase Jeter, and Sean Obi as leading candidates for starting positions from that group. We clearly have a lot of open scholarships to hand out. It looks like we're going heavy after the following guys:

Guards: Dennis Smith, Jr., Derryck Thornton, and Tyus Battle
Forwards: Jayson Tatum and Harry Giles

I'm not suggesting that we will haul in all five. Heck, getting Smith, Tatum, and Giles would easily be the best recruiting haul that year. I'm just wondering about others. Who else are we targeting?

jv001
12-07-2014, 07:21 AM
I've just begun reading through this discussion board and was trying to wrap my head around the potential team and targets for 2016.

Projected Team:

Guards: Matt Jones (Sr), Grayson Allen (Jr), Tyus Jones (Jr, unlikely on the team), and Luke Kennard (So)
Forwards: Semi Ojeleye (Sr), Justise Winslow (Jr, unlikely on the team), and Chase Jeter (So)

So that's 8 potential scholarship players and 6 likely. It's also possible Brandon Ingram might be a sophomore forward on the team (are we recruiting anyone else in 2015?).

I see (sans Tyus Jones and Justise Winslow) Matt Jones, Chase Jeter, and Sean Obi as leading candidates for starting positions from that group. We clearly have a lot of open scholarships to hand out. It looks like we're going heavy after the following guys:

I'm not suggesting that we will haul in all five. Heck, getting Smith, Tatum, and Giles would easily be the best recruiting haul that year. I'm just wondering about others. Who else are we targeting?

Looking at this list makes me appreciate the "heck" out of Jah this year. A big guy like this comes along once or twice in a lifetime. GoDuke!

Saratoga2
12-07-2014, 07:53 AM

Projected Team:

Your projecting the team two years hence, which is a little difficult to do. Chase Jeter may be gone then as well. At any rate, Duke is recruiting better than a few years ago and that may be because coach K has a willingness to recruit one or two one and doners in a class. Of course his great success with national and olympic teams has also helped plus the success of Duke players in the NBA.

Troublemaker
12-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Projected Team:

Looking at this list makes me appreciate the "heck" out of Jah this year. A big guy like this comes along once or twice in a lifetime. GoDuke!

The lack of recruiting a true center in the 2016 class makes me believe the dalliance with Caleb Swanigan in 2015 is about to turn serious, if it hasn't already. Duke's recruitment of Swanigan is the latest most interesting twist in recruiting, to this Duke fan at least. The rest of 2015 recruiting was supposed to be "Ingram or move on", but Swanigan has changed that.

AncientPsychicT
12-07-2014, 09:25 AM
The lack of recruiting a true center in the 2016 class makes me believe the dalliance with Caleb Swanigan in 2015 is about to turn serious, if it hasn't already. Duke's recruitment of Swanigan is the latest most interesting twist in recruiting, to this Duke fan at least. The rest of 2015 recruiting was supposed to be "Ingram or move on", but Swanigan has changed that.

If we land Swanigan, we'll have the following players that could potentially play the 4/5 next year (official Duke measurements for returning players, 247Sports measurements for freshmen):

Marshall Plumlee R-Sr 7'0" 255
Chase Jeter Fr 6'11" 225
Sean Obi R-So 6'9" 270
Amile Jefferson Sr 6'9" 215
Caleb Swanigan Fr 6'8" 265
Semi Ojeleye Jr 6'8" 230

Man, that is one deep frontcourt. And if Tyus leaves with Justise and Jah, our back court looks like this:

*Brandon Ingram Fr 6'8" 180
Matt Jones Jr 6'5" 210
Rasheed Sulaimon Sr 6'5" 190
Luke Kennard Fr 6'5" 180
Grayson Allen So 6'4" 195

That is a team with a ton of size. At or above average size at every position, and it stays that way when the bench comes in.

*If he commits, of course.

Henderson
12-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Jason Tatum scored 25, had 10 rebounds, 4 assists, and five steals in his game tonight. Coaches K, Capel, and Scheyer were there. Not sure about Nate. Roy and Buzz Williams were there too.

TruBlu
12-10-2014, 05:46 AM
Jason Tatum scored 25, had 10 rebounds, 4 assists, and five steals in his game tonight. Coaches K, Capel, and Scheyer were there. Not sure about Nate. Roy and Buzz Williams were there too.

Was Buzz there to make sure Roy stayed awake?

Green Wave Dukie
12-20-2014, 09:43 AM
Last Saturday I went to see Harry Giles and Wesleyan play. I had last seen him play 2 years ago before surgery. He scored 32 was very active on defense and clearly this is his team this year. He communicated regularly to his teammates and generally was the coach on the floor, even more so than the point guard Childress IMO.

I did notice his knee did not appear to be 100%. They took him out and the trainer stretched it early in the 4th quarter and he appeared tired and he had a slight limp toward the end of the game. He sure is an amazing player though. Multiple dunks, great footwork for a junior, even brought the ball up the floor several times. He sported an "I Can't Breathe" T-Shirt during warm-ups.

bbosbbos
12-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Come to Duke if a player wants to win. In addition, we have very good system to help players recover from injuries. Let KI or RK have a talk with him.

I did notice his knee did not appear to be 100%. They took him out and the trainer stretched it early in the 4th quarter and he appeared tired and he had a slight limp toward the end of the game. He sure is an amazing player though. Multiple dunks, great footwork for a junior, even brought the ball up the floor several times. He sported an "I Can't Breathe" T-Shirt during warm-ups.

Chillduck
12-30-2014, 12:24 AM
Watched Harry Giles, Dennis Smith, Jr., and Thon Maker play tonight in the Glaxo SmithKline tourney in Raleigh tonight. Giles is a beast on the floor with a surprisingly good handle (31 points and 17 boards). Smith carried his team with 38 points, but they didn't have the size to keep up with Maker's team. Thon Maker finished with 16 and 9 with some impressive throw downs. He likes to hang outside though. His "little" brother Matur was impressive with 22 points. Smith does have long range skills hitting several threes and also finishing amongst the trees in the middle. I'll take the package deal of Giles, Smith, and Jason Taytum any day!

gam7
12-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Watched Harry Giles, Dennis Smith, Jr., and Thon Maker play tonight in the Glaxo SmithKline tourney in Raleigh tonight. Giles is a beast on the floor with a surprisingly good handle (31 points and 17 boards). Smith carried his team with 38 points, but they didn't have the size to keep up with Maker's team. Thon Maker finished with 16 and 9 with some impressive throw downs. He likes to hang outside though. His "little" brother Matur was impressive with 22 points. Smith does have long range skills hitting several threes and also finishing amongst the trees in the middle. I'll take the package deal of Giles, Smith, and Jason Taytum any day!

Does anyone know why Thon Maker isn't on ESPN's Class of 2016 list? http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016/order/true

BD80
12-30-2014, 12:54 PM
... Thon Maker finished with 16 and 9 ... His "little" brother Matur was impressive with 22 points. ...

Matur Maker?

I pity the announcer that has to recount a series where he shakes, bakes, fakes, takes and makes.

Great name.

Henderson
12-30-2014, 01:05 PM
Matur Maker?

I pity the announcer that has to recount a series where he shakes, bakes, fakes, takes and makes.

Great name.

Names don't win games. If he can play defense and be a shot maker, that's all that maturs.

Ichabod Drain
12-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Does anyone know why Thon Maker isn't on ESPN's Class of 2016 list? http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016/order/true

The only reason I can think of is that there are a lot of rumors of him reclassifying to 2015. But he hasn't yet and I don't know why they would remove him from 2016 unless he had officially reclassified. He also isn't ranked in 2015 for that matter either.

DavidBenAkiva
02-10-2015, 04:28 PM
It's time to freak out over Harry Giles!

He went on twitter last night to list his top 8 programs (http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/2/9/8008881/harry-giles-recruiting-kentucky-duke-kansas-ohio-state-unc-wake-forest).

If you don't want to follow the link, here's the list:

Duke
Kansas
Kentucky
Ohio State
Syracuse
UNC
UNLV
Wake Forest

For what it's worth, Giles, #1 SF Jayson Tatum, and #1 PG Dennis Smith, Jr. all list Duke, Kansas, UNC, and Wake Forest among their top choices. There has been some mention that all three might want to play together.

superdave
02-11-2015, 10:59 AM
For what it's worth, Giles, #1 SF Jayson Tatum, and #1 PG Dennis Smith, Jr. all list Duke, Kansas, UNC, and Wake Forest among their top choices. There has been some mention that all three might want to play together.

Adam Zagoria seems to be the main one pushing this package deal thing. The quotes in those articles are fairly lukewarm in my opinion. If these guys spend time with each other this summer - like on a USA team or at one of the summer tournaments - I could see this gelling. But it does not seem terribly likely to date.

DavidBenAkiva
02-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Weather considerations aside, it looks like Duke will be hosting several 2016 recruits on Wednesday for the UNC game. Derryck Thornton (PG) and Harry Giles (PF) will be there.

Luke Kennard, 2015 signee and McDonald's All-American is making his last official visit for the game, too. Caleb Swanigan, another McDonald's All-American and 2015 prospect was reported to be going, but the weather may have other plans.

I also saw that 2016 SF Jayson Tatum is going to attend the Duke-Syracuse game on the 28th.

I don't know if this package deal with Tatum, Giles, and Dennis Smith, Jr. is a real thing or something Adam Zagoria made up. I do know that a core of those three players along with Derryck Thornton would be pretty darn impressive. The way Tyus Jones and Quinn Cook have worked out this year, I can see Coach K making a compelling case to Thornton and Smith Jr. as potential teammates. Add to that players like Matt Jones, Grayson Allen, Luke Kennard, and Chase Jeter, and it could be one of the most talented teams Duke has put together in a long time. It's a long shot that team will come to fruition, mind you. Still, it's fun to imagine the possibilities.

Kedsy
02-17-2015, 04:03 PM
I don't know if this package deal with Tatum, Giles, and Dennis Smith, Jr. is a real thing or something Adam Zagoria made up. I do know that a core of those three players along with Derryck Thornton would be pretty darn impressive. The way Tyus Jones and Quinn Cook have worked out this year, I can see Coach K making a compelling case to Thornton and Smith Jr. as potential teammates. Add to that players like Matt Jones, Grayson Allen, Luke Kennard, and Chase Jeter, and it could be one of the most talented teams Duke has put together in a long time. It's a long shot that team will come to fruition, mind you. Still, it's fun to imagine the possibilities.

Would it be more talented than the team Duke put together this season?

budwom
02-17-2015, 04:15 PM
Supremely unlikely you'd see Thornton and Smith together, and I really don't expect Smith at all, period.

devildeac
02-17-2015, 04:21 PM

Silly question;). You know dadgum well it would be because that's even farther in the future and only if we could have a 20 page thread this season devoted to how many MPG, PPG, RPG, APG and who would transfer well over 12 months before any of these guys would (theoretically) arrive on campus:rolleyes::o.

superdave
02-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Supremely unlikely you'd see Thornton and Smith together, and I really don't expect Smith at all, period.

I have read that Dennis Smith Jr is pretty interested in Duke. Have you heard differently?

jv001
02-17-2015, 04:22 PM

Absolutely not. This is one of our more talented team that looks like they really enjoy playing together. I know we're short on the bench with 3 guys, but those 3 guys are really important to our success and they are talented enough to get the job done. MPIII is a great back up center, Matt is a gifted defender and a streaky 3 point shooter and Grayson is improving enough that Coach K isn't shy about bringing him off the bench in pressure situations. No way will we be this talented next season or in 2016. GoDuke!

superdave
02-17-2015, 04:23 PM

You will just have to wait for the NBA Draft Express dot org 2017 mock draft to come out comparing these guys to Kevin Garnett, Russell Westbrook and Chris Paul.

DavidBenAkiva
02-17-2015, 04:40 PM

I get it that all of this is speculation. We're talking about high school kids. But it is clear that the junior class of students (Tatum, Giles, Smith, Thornton, etc.) is thought to be very talented. Scout puts out an annual list of the top 100 players (http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1510205-scout-s-ultimate-100?s=75) regardless of year. Guys in the top 10-20 of 2015, the current seniors, are being listed in the 30s and 40s. Swanigan, Jeter, and Ingram - consensus top 15 guys in their class - are much lower on the list than the top of the 2016 crop. Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Derryck Thornton, and Dennis Smith, Jr. are all in the top 20 of the no-class list.

I don't think it is proof of anything. It is more a reflection of the belief that the 2016 class is very talented and that Duke is looking good with the very top tier of that talent. If we got those four guys, it would be as good a recruiting class as the four freshman on this year's team. It's just speculation is all. It's not fact or even insight. Potential is just speculation about the future.

jv001
02-17-2015, 04:46 PM
I get it that all of this is speculation. We're talking about high school kids. But it is clear that the junior class of students (Tatum, Giles, Smith, Thornton, etc.) is thought to be very talented. Scout puts out an annual list of the top 100 players (http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1510205-scout-s-ultimate-100?s=75) regardless of year. Guys in the top 10-20 of 2015, the current seniors, are being listed in the 30s and 40s. Swanigan, Jeter, and Ingram - consensus top 15 guys in their class - are much lower on the list than the top of the 2016 crop. Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Derryck Thornton, and Dennis Smith, Jr. are all in the top 20 of the no-class list.

I don't think it is proof of anything. It is more a reflection of the belief that the 2016 class is very talented and that Duke is looking good with the very top tier of that talent. If we got those four guys, it would be as good a recruiting class as the four freshman on this year's team. It's just speculation is all. It's not fact or even insight. Potential is just speculation about the future.

Three of our four freshman were ready to play basketball for one of the top college programs on day one. The fourth has proven to be a valuable player off the bench. I don't know if the 2016 guys will be ready to play at that level from day one. But like you say, it's just speculation about potential. GoDuke!

DavidBenAkiva
02-18-2015, 09:22 AM
I saw an announcement late last night that Dennis Smith, Jr. will also be in attendance at the game this evening.

Three of the four early targets for the 2016 class will be a the game with the fourth (Jayson Tatum) attending the game against Syracuse on 2/28.

Recruits Attending Tonight's Game:

Harry Giles
Dennis Smith, Jr.
Derryck Thornton

2015 Recruits include Luke Kennard and Caleb Swanigan.

yancem
02-18-2015, 03:53 PM
Three of our four freshman were ready to play basketball for one of the top college programs on day one. The fourth has proven to be a valuable player off the bench. I don't know if the 2016 guys will be ready to play at that level from day one. But like you say, it's just speculation about potential. GoDuke!

Giles has been gushed about by recruiting experts for several years and as the number 1 or 2 recruit in a stacked class should definitely be ready to start from day one at any college he attends. Tatum is also a consensus top 3-4 recruit and should also be ready to start from day one. Both Smith and Thornton are top 5-10 recruits with similar rankings as TJones in an class that is considered to be equally stacked as 2014. I think that there will be very few colleges that will have pg's that would prevent either from starting. Duke is also heavily recruiting Tyus Battle (who's parents are very close to Thornton's parents) who is a top 10-15 recruit and could be capable of starting for most colleges from day one. I think it is safe to say that in most years, top 10 recruits, expect to start right of the bat and 2016 is considered a very strong class (2015 not as much).

Now that doesn't mean that there are any guarantees that all 5 guys will be starters at their respective colleges of choice but it would at least appear that they have an equal chance as Okafor, Jones and Winslow had going into the season and we have seen how well that has worked out.

jv001
02-18-2015, 06:18 PM
Giles has been gushed about by recruiting experts for several years and as the number 1 or 2 recruit in a stacked class should definitely be ready to start from day one at any college he attends. Tatum is also a consensus top 3-4 recruit and should also be ready to start from day one. Both Smith and Thornton are top 5-10 recruits with similar rankings as TJones in an class that is considered to be equally stacked as 2014. I think that there will be very few colleges that will have pg's that would prevent either from starting. Duke is also heavily recruiting Tyus Battle (who's parents are very close to Thornton's parents) who is a top 10-15 recruit and could be capable of starting for most colleges from day one. I think it is safe to say that in most years, top 10 recruits, expect to start right of the bat and 2016 is considered a very strong class (2015 not as much).

Now that doesn't mean that there are any guarantees that all 5 guys will be starters at their respective colleges of choice but it would at least appear that they have an equal chance as Okafor, Jones and Winslow had going into the season and we have seen how well that has worked out.

I think that the success for this team starts with Jahlil. We have the best inside outside offense this season that we've had in a long time. Besides that we have a very good point guard in Tyus and a very good SF that can play PF in Winslow. Not only can we go inside out, we have guys that can drive the ball with pretty good success. When our three is falling, we're very hard to beat. Our usual weakness of defending the dribble drive has been helped with great coaching of different defenses. All this and not even mentioning Senior Captain Quinn Cook who's had a great season. But 2016 is a long way off, so we'll just have to wait and see. By the way, I hope you're right in your predictions. GoDuke!

DukeDiva
02-23-2015, 03:44 PM
**Mods, please move if this should be in the recruiting thread.

Tyus Battle has trimmed his list to 7 schools with Duke making his list. He is a 2016 prospect 11th overall in the 247Sports Composite. Others making his cut were: UConn, Louisville, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Syracuse. He dropped Virginia, Miami, and Kentucky off his list.

http://dukereport.com/duke-recruiting/2016-5-star-tyus-battle-includes-duke-in-his-final-7-schools/daldridge/

flyingdutchdevil
02-23-2015, 03:50 PM

Tyus Battle has trimmed his list to 7 schools with Duke making his list. He is a 2016 prospect 11th overall in the 247Sports Composite. Others making his cut were: UConn, Louisville, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Syracuse. He dropped Virginia, Miami, and Kentucky off his list.

http://dukereport.com/duke-recruiting/2016-5-star-tyus-battle-includes-duke-in-his-final-7-schools/daldridge/

Despite knowing nothing about his talent, I like this guy already! (see bolded text)

bbosbbos
02-23-2015, 04:10 PM
Wait a minute, has any 2016 sg committed UK? If nobody has done that, I think this kid is a good kid.

Despite knowing nothing about his talent, I like this guy already! (see bolded text)

TruBlu
02-23-2015, 06:28 PM

And UNC wasn't on the list before the cuts.

Now he just needs to cut six other schools not named Duke.

Wahoo2000
02-23-2015, 09:26 PM
Wait a minute, has any 2016 sg committed UK? If nobody has done that, I think this kid is a good kid.

I think it was more about concerns about PT than anything else. This kid DOES NOT want to "platoon" and play in the high teens or low 20s mpgs. He dropped us due to concerns over pace preventing him from putting up numbers. I don't want anyone to take this as saying he's a bad seed or anything - He might be a FANTASTIC kid, but it's uber-important that he play a ton of minutes and put up stats from the get-go. I don't think he plans on being in college more than a year or two (but what top 10-15 prospect this does anymore?).

lotusland
02-23-2015, 10:20 PM
Per the UK board he's a lifelong Duke fan and a lock to come to Durham. I watched some Youtube interviews and mix tapes so now I'm an expert on his game. He looks really quick for a 6'5 guy and good hops but maybe a little too in love with his jump shot. I'd like to see more drives and fewer three pointers considering his athletic ability. Also he's right hand dominate ala Hendo and needs to work on using his left hand around the basket. Otherwise his handle seems OK at this point. He's got another year and a half to improve though. He seems like a Duke kid and his father seems very intense and involved in a positive way. He said he thinks Tyus will play for pay but it's yet to be determined whether he'll be good enough to make it in the NBA.

I don't think many 5 star guys will be very patient about PT and it's hard to know at this point if he's more Winslow or Silent G but either way he probably won't have a senior year at Duke.

Dev11
02-24-2015, 12:08 AM

No problem, but I did add that it's a recruiting thread in the title. We don't want anybody thinking our current Tyus was involved in some kind of skirmish.

DukeDiva
02-24-2015, 12:21 AM
No problem, but I did add that it's a recruiting thread in the title. We don't want anybody thinking our current Tyus was involved in some kind of skirmish.

Good thinking, I was multitasking at the time and that didn't cross my mind.

Henderson
02-24-2015, 09:10 AM
Per the UK board he's a lifelong Duke fan and a lock to come to Durham. I watched some Youtube interviews and mix tapes so now I'm an expert on his game. He looks really quick for a 6'5 guy and good hops but maybe a little too in love with his jump shot. I'd like to see more drives and fewer three pointers considering his athletic ability. Also he's right hand dominate ala Hendo and needs to work on using his left hand around the basket. Otherwise his handle seems OK at this point. He's got another year and a half to improve though. He seems like a Duke kid and his father seems very intense and involved in a positive way. He said he thinks Tyus will play for pay but it's yet to be determined whether he'll be good enough to make it in the NBA.

I don't think many 5 star guys will be very patient about PT and it's hard to know at this point if he's more Winslow or Silent G but either way he probably won't have a senior year at Duke.

Here's a Syracuse story about him following his list-trimming. http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2015/02/tyus_battle.html Syracuse seems all-in on the guy. Battle is described as Boeheim's #1 recruiting priority for 2016 and has said that he'd hand Battle the ball from Day 1. The story also quotes his father as saying he wants to commit this spring or early summer. I suspect he wants to see who from the class of 2015 is going where before committing, but wants to be an early domino to fall rather than waiting for other 2016 recruits to make their picks. It also sounds as though he doesn't really enjoy the recruiting process much and would be glad to get it over with.

jv001
02-24-2015, 09:22 AM
Here's a Syracuse story about him following his list-trimming. http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2015/02/tyus_battle.html Syracuse seems all-in on the guy. Battle is described as Boeheim's #1 recruiting priority for 2016 and has said that he'd hand Battle the ball from Day 1. The story also quotes his father as saying he wants to commit this spring or early summer. I suspect he wants to see who from the class of 2015 is going where before committing, but wants to be an early domino to fall rather than waiting for other 2016 recruits to make their picks. It also sounds as though he doesn't really enjoy the recruiting process much and would be glad to get it over with.

Thanks Hendo, for the article. One thing regarding Syracuse's recruitment of Battle is their may be sanctions from the NCAA coming for the Orange. That could factor into any recruits looking at them. But, it could be like the Uncheat mess, those sanctions may not come before the Rapture. GoDuke!

BobBender
02-24-2015, 10:17 AM
As someone who has seen his school ( Gill-St.Bernard, Gladstone NJ) play several times, I can say that he is very talented. The issue going forward with Tyus Battle is his father is setting preconditions as to how much he will play with the ball in his hands. That was evidently the main factor in cutting his list. I'm not sure the talent is so overwhelming as to make it worth dealng with Gary Battle and his requirements. But time will tell.

wilson
02-24-2015, 10:40 AM
The issue going forward with Tyus Battle is his father is setting preconditions as to how much he will play with the ball in his hands.If this is indeed true, then there is less than zero chance that Battle ends up at Duke. The last such situation (that we know of) was Kris Kardashian, I mean Humphries, who was summarily shown the exit and encouraged to use it.
That being said, I have read about some of the Battle family's discussion about "systems" and time spent playing on the ball vs. off the ball, but nowhere have I seen that they've set hard and fast parameters regarding playing time, etc. Where have you seen this?

jimsumner
02-24-2015, 10:55 AM
The question for Duke is whether Battle and Tatum are mutually exclusive. Duke would take both in a heartbeat. But Battle likely is waiting more on feedback on Tatum than on Winslow, who is not going to be at Duke when Battle enters college.

If Battle sees himself as a college 2, then it might be a match. But if he sees himself as a 3 and competing with Tatum for PT, then it's likely an either/or for Duke.

Duke, of course, sees both as wings and thinks both could see the court at the same time. Can they convince the Battle family of that?

Tatum seems to be on a slower time-line than Battle. Could this be a Bobby Hurley/Kenny Anderson situation?

And there's only one ball. And Kennard and Allen will still be around.

Did I mention there's only one ball?

So, stuff to think about.

Li_Duke
02-24-2015, 11:43 AM

And Matt Jones would still be around. We'd be pretty loaded at the wings with both Tatum and Battle (especially if we also got one of Smith/Thornton). How open would Tatum be to playing stretch 4?

Dev11
02-24-2015, 12:04 PM
And Matt Jones would still be around. We'd be pretty loaded at the wings with both Tatum and Battle (especially if we also got one of Smith/Thornton). How open would Tatum be to playing stretch 4?

If these last few seasons have taught us anything, depth in 2 years isn't guaranteed at all.

DavidBenAkiva
02-24-2015, 12:16 PM
How open would Tatum be to playing stretch 4?

I guess it depends on how the team would deal with having Chase Jeter and hopefully Harry Giles out there on the floor at the same time filling out the "stretch 4" position already.

If Battle or any player wants to come to Duke, he will have to consider the possibility that other very talented players with a similar skill set are going to be on the roster for 1 or more years. The current team is a bit thin due to transfers and attrition. Still, Luke Kennard knew that at least Matt Jones and Grayson Allen are going to be on the team next year and he committed. Chase Jeter must have known that Amile Jefferson and Marshall Plumlee would be on the team next year and he committed.

Duke is not going to stop recruiting and hopefully won't have to deal with transfers or dismissals anytime soon. Maybe Tyus Battle and his family are the kinds of guy that can see into the future a little and imagine a scenario in which they are right there in the mix during a sophomore or junior season. I sure hope so, because the team needs guys like that in addition to the top-line talent like the Jayson Tatums of the world.

jimsumner
02-24-2015, 12:20 PM

I believe Tatum may be more of a 3/2 than a 3/4.

gumbomoop
02-24-2015, 12:46 PM
Anyone hear any talk about Danny Manning pulling in several top players in class of 2016? I haven't, but then I'm out of all loops. Anyhow, I notice Wake is at least listed by a surprising number of top prospects.

Olympic Fan
02-24-2015, 12:57 PM
Anyone hear any talk about Danny Manning pulling in several top players in class of 2016? I haven't, but then I'm out of all loops. Anyhow, I notice Wake is at least listed by a surprising number of top prospects.

I think that 2016 will be a vital recruiting class for Danny Manning.

He's done a good job coaching and improving the team he inherited from Jeff Bzdelik. But Brad Brownell is a superb coach -- his limitation is that he hasn't recruited the big-time players he needs to win. Manning has to do that.

He's in on some of the best players left in 2015 -- Brandon Ingram, for instance, although his chances don't look good there.

But in 2016, he's really working it, especially for Harry Giles ... a Winston-Salem kid who looks and plays very much like the young Danny Manning did.

I know we want Giles (so does UNC, Kentucky, etc.), but I think he's the prep superstar than Manning has to get to take his program into the upper level of the ACC. Giles will attract other top players (he and Jayson Tatum are talking about a package ... could Jr. Smith also join?). When will Manning get another chance to land a local kid who is ranked so high? He can do it without Giles, but I think it becomes much, much tougher.

budwom
02-24-2015, 01:13 PM
I think that 2016 will be a vital recruiting class for Danny Manning.

He's done a good job coaching and improving the team he inherited from Jeff Bzdelik. But Brad Brownell is a superb coach -- his limitation is that he hasn't recruited the big-time players he needs to win. Manning has to do that.

He's in on some of the best players left in 2015 -- Brandon Ingram, for instance, although his chances don't look good there.

But in 2016, he's really working it, especially for Harry Giles ... a Winston-Salem kid who looks and plays very much like the young Danny Manning did.

I know we want Giles (so does UNC, Kentucky, etc.), but I think he's the prep superstar than Manning has to get to take his program into the upper level of the ACC. Giles will attract other top players (he and Jayson Tatum are talking about a package ... could Jr. Smith also join?). When will Manning get another chance to land a local kid who is ranked so high? He can do it without Giles, but I think it becomes much, much tougher.

I'm not disputing what you say about Brownell, Olympic, but I have to say his strategy on Saturday (not matter the talent level he has, which is bad as you say) was hard to fathom.
A team known for poor shooting pretty much limited its offense to bombing away from three land, its attempts to penetrate Duke's not impenetrable (but improving) zone were somewhat
farcical. Virtually no attempts to take advantage of Okafor's absence inside. In short, they played REALLY poorly. Perhaps it was just one bad game (and of course Duke did play very well).

gumbomoop
02-24-2015, 01:25 PM
I know we want Giles (so does UNC, Kentucky, etc.), but I think he's the prep superstar than Manning has to get to take his program into the upper level of the ACC. Giles will attract other top players (he and Jayson Tatum are talking about a package ... could Jr. Smith also join?).

Yes, maybe you or someone else had previously mentioned talk of a package. That group to Wake would be a bombshell. Better/best to Duke, but better Wake or State than the 2 other destinations you reference.

Duvall
02-24-2015, 01:27 PM
Yes, maybe you or someone else had previously mentioned talk of a package. That group to Wake would be a bombshell. Better/best to Duke, but better Wake or State than the 2 other destinations you reference.

Why? The other destinations will have elite talent either way.

gumbomoop
02-24-2015, 01:54 PM
Why? The other destinations will have elite talent either way.

True. Still, for the class of 2016, a package of Tatum, Giles, and Smith, whether planned or serendipitous, strikes me as the most elite imaginable. Moreover, the jury's out on UNC's recruitment for 2016. Their whole recruiting program seems in limbo, understandably and gratifyingly. So maybe not true.

jimsumner
02-24-2015, 02:09 PM
I'm not disputing what you say about Brownell, Olympic, but I have to say his strategy on Saturday (not matter the talent level he has, which is bad as you say) was hard to fathom.
A team known for poor shooting pretty much limited its offense to bombing away from three land, its attempts to penetrate Duke's not impenetrable (but improving) zone were somewhat
farcical. Virtually no attempts to take advantage of Okafor's absence inside. In short, they played REALLY poorly. Perhaps it was just one bad game (and of course Duke did play very well).

Brownell said after the game that he assumed Okafor would play and game-planned accordingly.

And his team looked like they had never seen a press or a trap in their entire lives.

conmanlhughes
02-24-2015, 02:11 PM

There is no way Tatum ends up at Wake Forest. He is more of a kid I worry about stayng in the Midwest. Concerning Dennis Smith, I do not know his contact with Wake Forest. I dont see how Duke stands with him either, considering he was saying for a long time that he was the only PG in the class of 16 and we go out and offer Thornton. I honestly do not see Thornton reclassifying, even if Tyus leaves early. The staff would have to push very hard to try to get him to, and even then there is obviously no guarantee. With Harry, I think there is a good chance it comes down to Duke/UNC/Wake/UK, with the in state schools having the best chance.

BD80
02-24-2015, 06:27 PM
I believe Tatum may be more of a 3/2 than a 3/4.

So are(were) Winslow and Singler.

CDu
02-24-2015, 06:49 PM

This is true, but Tatum is a lot skinnier than Singler or Winslow. That's not to say he can't gain weight, but he's REALLY slender. Winslow was built even in high school, and Singler had a bigger frame and got bigger by his senior year of high school.

conmanlhughes
02-24-2015, 08:05 PM
The question for Duke is whether Battle and Tatum are mutually exclusive. Duke would take both in a heartbeat. But Battle likely is waiting more on feedback on Tatum than on Winslow, who is not going to be at Duke when Battle enters college.

If Battle sees himself as a college 2, then it might be a match. But if he sees himself as a 3 and competing with Tatum for PT, then it's likely an either/or for Duke.

Duke, of course, sees both as wings and thinks both could see the court at the same time. Can they convince the Battle family of that?

Tatum seems to be on a slower time-line than Battle. Could this be a Bobby Hurley/Kenny Anderson situation?

I think we are more likely with Battle than Tatum. I fail to see Tatum leaving the Midwest, but his official visit coming up could give us a bit more insight.

jimsumner
02-24-2015, 09:43 PM

Really? I think Singler was always viewed as a combo forward at the college level.

English
02-25-2015, 01:45 PM

I can't speak to your expectations of Winslow pre-Duke, but on the USA Hoops team, he was one of the strongest rebounders despite his 6'6 height. He was also, obviously, built like a linebacker, so calling him a 3/2 rather than a 3/4 would be a stretch. Add to that his (according to scouts) deficiencies shooting from range, and you get further from a 3/2. Anyway, the guy is clearly a wing, so classifying it further is a bit of an useless exercise.

flyingdutchdevil
02-25-2015, 01:53 PM
I can't speak to your expectations of Winslow pre-Duke, but on the USA Hoops team, he was one of the strongest rebounders despite his 6'6 height. He was also, obviously, built like a linebacker, so calling him a 3/2 rather than a 3/4 would be a stretch. Add to that his (according to scouts) deficiencies shooting from range, and you get further from a 3/2. Anyway, the guy is clearly a wing, so classifying it further is a bit of an useless exercise.

In college, I thought Winslow would be a 3. Turns out he's a 3/4 who can play either position effectively. In the NBA, I'd fire the GM who tries to play Winslow at the 4. Winslow is a 3 - maybe even a 2 if he continues to work on his shot. There are a lot of good rebounding 3s in the NBA; Winslow will be one of them.

Henderson
02-25-2015, 02:06 PM
True. Still, for the class of 2016, a package of Tatum, Giles, and Smith, whether planned or serendipitous, strikes me as the most elite imaginable. Moreover, the jury's out on UNC's recruitment for 2016. Their whole recruiting program seems in limbo, understandably and gratifyingly. So maybe not true.

That would be quite a package, especially since each of them would be not going to UNC-CH.*

Imagine if Duke were to show that a package of elite talent could win a natty and send the entire package to the NBA. I'm not talking about elite players individually going someplace, but looking at it as a team play before any of them commits. I think that might cause some buzz for the "package to Duke" concept.

I'm not hoping that Tyus goes early; rather I'm just saying recruits notice these things, and the "package" idea might get some traction if recruits saw it could work for them both in terms of competitiveness and their futures.

*Sorry, Roy, but I don't see a good recruiting class for you in 2016, a critical year for you. Not unless the NCAA gives you a clean bill of health between now and 15 months from now. Good luck with that.

conmanlhughes
02-25-2015, 06:06 PM
That would be quite a package, especially since each of them would be not going to UNC-CH.*

Imagine if Duke were to show that a package of elite talent could win a natty and send the entire package to the NBA. I'm not talking about elite players individually going someplace, but looking at it as a team play before any of them commits. I think that might cause some buzz for the "package to Duke" concept.

I'm not hoping that Tyus goes early; rather I'm just saying recruits notice these things, and the "package" idea might get some traction if recruits saw it could work for them both in terms of competitiveness and their futures.

*Sorry, Roy, but I don't see a good recruiting class for you in 2016, a critical year for you. Not unless the NCAA gives you a clean bill of health between now and 15 months from now. Good luck with that.

Zagoria is the one pushing the package deal. Have the kids talked about it seriously? Possible, but unlikely. I don't see Tatum leaving the Midwest unless his visit is really really good. Dennis smith is probably also peeved that we have started recruiting Thornton after he heard he was the only PG Duke was after.

johnb
02-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Zagoria is the one pushing the package deal. Have the kids talked about it seriously? Possible, but unlikely. I don't see Tatum leaving the Midwest unless his visit is really really good. Dennis smith is probably also peeved that we have started recruiting Thornton after he heard he was the only PG Duke was after.

I'd think Smith would be fine figuring this out for himself, but we could say, "we're thinking it possible that Tyus is going pro early. If so, we need a pg for next year to maintain our almost impenetrable time in the top 10. Thornton is a great pg who might also leave after a year, or, if he stays, would play nicely alongside you as you get your feet wet in college. And our history with playing 2 pg's at the same time extends from this year through Williams/Duhon back to Amaker/Dawkins. And if Tyus leaves and we don't get Thornton, we have plenty of experience converting 2 guards into points for a season--including one guy who's currently on the bench whose conversion led to a NC. Plenty of room for everyone." (or at least plenty of room for top 10 players).

conmanlhughes
02-25-2015, 07:18 PM
I'd think Smith would be fine figuring this out for himself, but we could say, "we're thinking it possible that Tyus is going pro early. If so, we need a pg for next year to maintain our almost impenetrable time in the top 10. Thornton is a great pg who might also leave after a year, or, if he stays, would play nicely alongside you as you get your feet wet in college. And our history with playing 2 pg's at the same time extends from this year through Williams/Duhon back to Amaker/Dawkins. And if Tyus leaves and we don't get Thornton, we have plenty of experience converting 2 guards into points for a season--including one guy who's currently on the bench whose conversion led to a NC. Plenty of room for everyone." (or at least plenty of room for top 10 players).

There would be a huge logjam if both came. Only one will come, and it will most likely be Thornton. A junior grayson, senior matt, and sophmore Luke would be here. Its really similar to earlier this year, but unless we can convince the recruits something similiar to what Calipari is doing now, we would only get one.

Speaking of which, I doubt Thornton will reclassify, even if Tyus leaves.

DavidBenAkiva
02-26-2015, 09:26 AM
There would be a huge logjam if both came. Only one will come, and it will most likely be Thornton. A junior grayson, senior matt, and sophmore Luke would be here. Its really similar to earlier this year, but unless we can convince the recruits something similiar to what Calipari is doing now, we would only get one.

Speaking of which, I doubt Thornton will reclassify, even if Tyus leaves.

Do you have any information on this? I've never seen a quote that says they are mutually exclusive players. Coach K has often talked about position less basketball. Us fans are far more likely to put players into defined roles such as "Point Guard." Quinn Cook hasn't stopped distributing the ball this year and Tyus Jones seems just fine creating for himself. And Duke has run a three guard lineup plenty of times with Matt Jones. It's not like he 'becomes' a small forward, whatever that might mean. He just plays. That's what Duke does: they have players.

conmanlhughes
02-26-2015, 11:15 AM
Do you have any information on this? I've never seen a quote that says they are mutually exclusive players. Coach K has often talked about position less basketball. Us fans are far more likely to put players into defined roles such as "Point Guard." Quinn Cook hasn't stopped distributing the ball this year and Tyus Jones seems just fine creating for himself. And Duke has run a three guard lineup plenty of times with Matt Jones. It's not like he 'becomes' a small forward, whatever that might mean. He just plays. That's what Duke does: they have players.

The feel from both of them that I get is, "we will play together if we have to, but it wouldn't be our first option." I think originally they were definitely mutually exclusive, but with how Tyus and Quinn have played, they might be reconsidering. I believe we will only get one of them and thats fine, considering Matt, Grayson, and Luke will be here.

That being said, we are definitely trendng up with Thornton and not so much with Smith. He is ticked off after being told he is our only target in 2016 at PG, but Derryck is being targeted similarly to how Duke targeted Tyus in the past.

Now, if Derryck reclassifies, (which isn't all that likely) and he is possibly a OAD, then I think we will be driving the train for Dennis again.

We honestly can't go wrong with either of them. By the way, I believe State is starting to become a real player for Dennis Smith.

Henderson
02-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Jayson Tatum (@Im_that_dude22) just tweeted, "Wheels up to Duke!" Guess he's coming in for the weekend and excited about it.

Edit: Short Adam Rowe story on Tatum's official visit: http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-set-to-host-3-Junior-Jayson-Tatum-for-his-first-official-35878868

DavidBenAkiva
02-26-2015, 10:22 PM
The feel from both of them that I get is, "we will play together if we have to, but it wouldn't be our first option." I think originally they were definitely mutually exclusive, but with how Tyus and Quinn have played, they might be reconsidering. I believe we will only get one of them and thats fine, considering Matt, Grayson, and Luke will be here.

That being said, we are definitely trendng up with Thornton and not so much with Smith. He is ticked off after being told he is our only target in 2016 at PG, but Derryck is being targeted similarly to how Duke targeted Tyus in the past.

Now, if Derryck reclassifies, (which isn't all that likely) and he is possibly a OAD, then I think we will be driving the train for Dennis again.

We honestly can't go wrong with either of them. By the way, I believe State is starting to become a real player for Dennis Smith.

My question to you was if you had any actual information. Reading through your response, the answer is no. Let me give you a piece of advice. Don't put words into other peoples' mouths. All we have to go on is the information we get from the recruits and the recruiting insiders. It is going to make things a lot easier for you on a message board like this if you deal in facts and stop pretending to have any actual information.

Furniture
02-26-2015, 10:28 PM
My question to you was if you had any actual information. Reading through your response, the answer is no. Let me give you a piece of advice. Don't put words into other peoples' mouths. All we have to go on is the information we get from the recruits and the recruiting insiders. It is going to make things a lot easier for you on a message board like this if you deal in facts and stop pretending to have any actual information.

Do you have to take these comments so seriously. Seriously?

DavidBenAkiva
02-26-2015, 11:51 PM
I was being a bit harsh. Seriously, though, it does no one any good to come on here and make bold pronouncements like "Player X and Y are definitely not going to play together." Recruiting is a world of speculation. I tried to be suggestive at first, but then s/he doubled down. Someone - me - was going to jump on them for being so certain without anything other than a belief born from reading a message board or twitter feed.

The truth is that these kids don't know where they are going to school until they make a final decision. We are lucky that these very talented teenagers are considering going to the school we love. Putting words in their mouths or speaking on their behalf is not doing them or us any favors. In fact, it's rude.

I've been cantankerous and should go to bed.

Furniture
02-27-2015, 12:15 AM
^^great answer. Nobody is perfect. I should know....

JPtheGame
02-27-2015, 01:02 AM
I was being a bit harsh. Seriously, though, it does no one any good to come on here and make bold pronouncements like "Player X and Y are definitely not going to play together." Recruiting is a world of speculation. I tried to be suggestive at first, but then s/he doubled down. Someone - me - was going to jump on them for being so certain without anything other than a belief born from reading a message board or twitter feed.

The truth is that these kids don't know where they are going to school until they make a final decision. We are lucky that these very talented teenagers are considering going to the school we love. Putting words in their mouths or speaking on their behalf is not doing them or us any favors. In fact, it's rude.

I've been cantankerous and should go to bed.

Isnt his liberal use of "I think" and "I believe" the opposite of putting words in peoples' mouths? It looks pretty clear to me that he's sharing opinions. If your criteria for proper posting is to only post facts and not opinions then you've just shut the entire internet down.

conmanlhughes
02-27-2015, 08:12 AM

yes, I actually do have information. The reason I said "I think" or "I believe" is because we are talking about recruiting here. Sources can be inaccurate every once and awhile, kids could be extremely tight lipped (Caleb Swanigan, Kevon Looney last year) and thats when rumors pop up. I have done a pretty good job of finding actual information, but you can never be 100% sure, and to question it because of grammatical reasoning seems silly.

Also, if I had something that was completely inaccurate, I do believe the people a tad bit more connected than me on this board would have immediately corrected me. None of what I have said is putting words in peoples mouths.

English
02-27-2015, 09:58 AM
yes, I actually do have information. The reason I said "I think" or "I believe" is because we are talking about recruiting here. Sources can be inaccurate every once and awhile, kids could be extremely tight lipped (Caleb Swanigan, Kevon Looney last year) and thats when rumors pop up. I have done a pretty good job of finding actual information, but you can never be 100% sure, and to question it because of grammatical reasoning seems silly.

Also, if I had something that was completely inaccurate, I do believe the people a tad bit more connected than me on this board would have immediately corrected me. None of what I have said is putting words in peoples mouths.

I think, perhaps, your definition of "actual" information is different than that generally accepted on this board. You've not given any links or sources for your opinions, so to many here, that's not actual information. Instead, it's pure speculation. You've certainly framed it as opinion, which is helpful to setting expectations. Opinion based on reason is welcome here, especially on a recruiting thread, but to argue that it's based on actual information without citing any of the sources is a bit misleading. I happen to agree with your conclusion, but again, that's an opinion based on the landscape of recruiting, top recruits' typical desire to be the top option at their respective position, and human nature (e.g., the top 2 PGs in a class not wanting to compete with each other for burn in the same program). Of course, exceptions are not unheard of in college recruiting.

If you have any actual information, you haven't shared it, but it might shed some more light on the basis of your opinions. Also, I've not been scouring your posts and the rebuttals, but I haven't seen any grammatical corrections to them. Just semantic ones.

devilnfla
03-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Any thoughts on Giles and Smith at the Dean Dome last night and how the game may affect their decision to attend one of these schools?

I've got to believe it's obvious to Smith that Duke is the place he will flourish under the tutelage of Coach K. After that performance from our backcourt now twice this season why would he even consider any place else?

superdave
03-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Any thoughts on Giles and Smith at the Dean Dome last night and how the game may affect their decision to attend one of these schools?

I've got to believe it's obvious to Smith that Duke is the place he will flourish under the tutelage of Coach K. After that performance from our backcourt now twice this season why would he even consider any place else?

Recruits like to visit the top schools, sit behind the bench for the biggest games and have their press conference announcing their choice. So they have to remain coy and hold off on their decision so they can have all the fun. But yeah, Duke has to be compelling for any guard right now after watching Quinn/Tyus.

Dukehky
03-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Recruits like to visit the top schools, sit behind the bench for the biggest games and have their press conference announcing their choice. So they have to remain coy and hold off on their decision so they can have all the fun. But yeah, Duke has to be compelling for any guard right now after watching Quinn/Tyus.

My opinion is that Derryck Thornton will re classify to 2015 if Tyus leaves. He is more than likely a 1 and done type of kid, leaving room for Dennis Smith to come in the next year, or if Thornton were to stay another year, after seeing Quinn and Tyus, they could be comfortable enough to play together.

If Tyus comes back, I don't think Thornton will reclassify and he will keep his options open.

I also think that Wake is actually our biggest competition for Giles, but Jayson Tatum has been showing a lot of interest.

We are in good shape.

conmanlhughes
03-08-2015, 12:13 PM
My opinion is that Derryck Thornton will re classify to 2015 if Tyus leaves. He is more than likely a 1 and done type of kid, leaving room for Dennis Smith to come in the next year, or if Thornton were to stay another year, after seeing Quinn and Tyus, they could be comfortable enough to play together.

If Tyus comes back, I don't think Thornton will reclassify and he will keep his options open.

I also think that Wake is actually our biggest competition for Giles, but Jayson Tatum has been showing a lot of interest.

We are in good shape.
I believe it is iffy that Thornton will come even if Tyus leaves. He has expressed that he wants to play in the All-Star games after high school, and seems reluctant to reclassify. An article came out awhile ago saying he was 30% likely to reclassify, 70% to stay in high school another year.

From talking to people, I believe State is going to put up a big fight for Dennis Smith. I agree with you about Giles, we are in very good shape with him.

Dukehky
03-08-2015, 06:21 PM
I believe it is iffy that Thornton will come even if Tyus leaves. He has expressed that he wants to play in the All-Star games after high school, and seems reluctant to reclassify. An article came out awhile ago saying he was 30% likely to reclassify, 70% to stay in high school another year.

From talking to people, I believe State is going to put up a big fight for Dennis Smith. I agree with you about Giles, we are in very good shape with him.

Friendly wager, if Tyus leaves, and Thornton does not reclassify and go to Duke I'll change my avatar to some abominable Hansbrough picture of your choosing.

If Tyus leaves and Thornton comes to Duke next year, then I get to do the same for you?

conmanlhughes
03-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Friendly wager, if Tyus leaves, and Thornton does not reclassify and go to Duke I'll change my avatar to some abominable Hansbrough picture of your choosing.

If Tyus leaves and Thornton comes to Duke next year, then I get to do the same for you?

I accept. That being said, I am hoping we are both wrong and Tyus just stays next year. :D;)

Channing
03-08-2015, 08:36 PM

One would think having those recruits at unc last night actually served more as a recruiting tool for adult rather than UNC...

DavidBenAkiva
04-07-2015, 02:22 PM
Last night, during the National Championship game, which, maybe you guys didn't notice because YOU WERE WATCHING DUKE WIN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, Dennis Smith Jr. sent out the following tweet:

That's the No. 1 point guard Dennis Smith, Jr (@Jhooper_3). tweeting out "well fellas" to No. 1 small forward Jayson Tatum (@Im_that_dude22) and No. 1 power forward Harry Giles (@TheReal_HG3).

superdave
04-07-2015, 02:38 PM
Last night, during the National Championship game, which, maybe you guys didn't notice because YOU WERE WATCHING DUKE WIN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, Dennis Smith Jr. sent out the following tweet:

That's the No. 1 point guard Dennis Smith, Jr (@Jhooper_3). tweeting out "well fellas" to No. 1 small forward Jayson Tatum (@Im_that_dude22) and No. 1 power forward Harry Giles (@TheReal_HG3).

I love it. This is why I dont want Capel to go anywhere. He is the "Recruit Whisperer".

budwom
04-07-2015, 02:55 PM
as discussed before, Dennis may not be the guy we really want. I think Thornton is definitely THE guy with some chance
they could coexist on the same team.

bob blue devil
04-07-2015, 03:53 PM
I love it. This is why I dont want Capel to go anywhere. He is the "Recruit Whisperer".

supa, i don't get the tweet or how it reflects well on capel - could you translate for me why you are excited?

NashvilleDevil
04-07-2015, 04:23 PM
supa, i don't get the tweet or how it reflects well on capel - could you translate for me why you are excited?

Because they're all Duke targets.

Troublemaker
04-07-2015, 06:32 PM

No doubt Jeff has done a great job, but USA Basketball helps a lot, too. Stuff like Lebron congratulating Coach K after this championship and calling him his "favorite" coach helps with recruiting: http://www.foxsports.com/ohio/story/lebron-james-mike-krzyzewski-cleveland-cavaliers-duke-blue-devils-ncaa-championship-040715

bob blue devil
04-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Because they're all Duke targets.

all the tweet says is "well fellas", right?

Troublemaker
04-07-2015, 06:36 PM
all the tweet says is "well fellas", right?

The three recruits in question -- DSmith, Giles, and Tatum -- have discussed being a package deal. So it would be similar to Jah, Tyus, and Justise. That's what people are interpreting "well fellas" as meaning. (i.e. "Well fellas, shall we pull the trigger to Duke?")

Troublemaker
04-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Coach K doin' work:

Jason Jordan ‏@JayJayUSATODAY (https://twitter.com/JayJayUSATODAY) 13h13 hours ago (https://twitter.com/JayJayUSATODAY/status/585981907969695746)
No. 1 junior Jayson Tatum (@Im_that_dude22 (https://twitter.com/Im_that_dude22)) on Thur night's in-home with #Duke (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Duke?src=hash): "I'm excited, I mean that's big time; they're the champs!"

MCFinARL
04-09-2015, 12:06 PM
The three recruits in question -- DSmith, Giles, and Tatum -- have discussed being a package deal. So it would be similar to Jah, Tyus, and Justise. That's what people are interpreting "well fellas" as meaning. (i.e. "Well fellas, shall we pull the trigger to Duke?")

That could be right. But it could also just be, "well fellas, look what people can do as a package deal"--more about the idea of playing together than about where that might happen. I'll be happy if the people who are reading a Duke lean into this are right, but I'm not sure it's there.

gumbomoop
04-09-2015, 02:10 PM
That could be right. But it could also just be, "well fellas, look what people can do as a package deal"--more about the idea of playing together than about where that might happen. I'll be happy if the people who are reading a Duke lean into this are right, but I'm not sure it's there.

Isn't there some other party you could poop on, you poopy pooper, you.

I'm already salivating at prospect of 3-peat in Phoenixapolis in 2017. Sean, Luke, Matt, Chase, Harry, Jayson, Dennis, Derryck, Justin, Udoka. Ten is more than enough. No Grayson? No, he left early after leading the country in scoring, including 35 over UVa for 2-peat in Houstonapolis. (Luke, btw, with 14 assists.) Hard to blame him. Tired of the hatred. Nothing left to prove, really.