PDA

View Full Version : Introducing...the DBR Visitors' Bureau

devil84
02-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Introducing the DBR's very on Visitors' Bureau. If you're attending your very first game in Cameron or returning a few years after graduation, we hope this will answer the basic questions. It heavily covers basketball games, but much of it is also appropriate for football.

Find it under the Resources tab (up there ^^^^, under the board selectors and next to the DBR Chat Page link). Pull down the menu and select "DBR Visitors Bureau."* Read the page. Enjoy.

Yes, there will probably still be questions. In that case, feel free to start the, "I'm coming to my first game in Cameron!" thread with your question. And there will likely be more questions about restaurants. Due to the fluctuating nature of the very vibrant restaurant scene, we've opted to put a small number of favorites that are favorable to fairly quick, nice, and moderately priced restaurants near campus. We'll still need threads to discuss where to eat.

We've presented restaurants and attractions in a custom Google Map (click on the Resources link, read the document, and find the link there :)). Let us know if that helps present the data well or not. You'll see the campus attractions and parking first in the list in the box; scroll down to find the restaurants. Click on the name of the attraction/restaurant to open the bubble on the map. You may want to zoom in on the map to make sense of the map view.

Many thanks to devildeac and Native, who provided invaluable assistance!

--------------------------
*Yes, Visitors' should have the apostrophe. While we determine how to get the apostrophe to play nicely in the character string, it'll just have to live without it for a while.

TruBlu
02-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Bravo, and well done!

I suggested this a year or so ago (as probably others have also done), so I obviously thought/think it is a great idea.:o

devildeac
02-03-2014, 09:50 PM
Awww, shucks and gee whiz devil84, it was fun and my pleasure to contribute. I think you and -jk did a great job with the final product.

AncientPsychicT
02-03-2014, 11:43 PM
Just as a heads up: When going to select the Google Map showing all the restaurants, a page appears saying that you need an account with permission to access the map file; in other words, the map is private. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not (i.e. you want DBR posters to request permission first), but I'm just letting you guys know in case it wasn't.

Jim3k
02-04-2014, 01:17 AM
Just as a heads up: When going to select the Google Map showing all the restaurants, a page appears saying that you need an account with permission to access the map file; in other words, the map is private. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not (i.e. you want DBR posters to request permission first), but I'm just letting you guys know in case it wasn't.

Yeah. It automatically sent me to sign in on my G-Mail account--one where I'm already signed in. So I signed again, but still didn't permission, not even by separate e-mail.

devil84
02-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Thanks for letting me know about the permissions on the Google Map. It's *supposed* to be set to public -- at least, that's the way I interpreted the settings! Let me do some more spelunking through the settings.

Edited to add: Looks like it should be fixed. Try again and let me know if it truly is public! :)

bedeviled
02-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Yes, it works for me now. Well done. Kudos.