PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v. Wake Pre-Game and In-Game Thread (Feb 4, 2100 EST, ESPNU)

SirBlueDevil
02-03-2014, 10:02 AM
No one wants to play our blue devils after a loss whether close or by a large margin, i say our blue devils will win by double digits tomorrow night? Thoughts

jv001
02-03-2014, 10:17 AM
I'm hoping the coaching staff has the Devils ready to play hard/tough Duke basketball. What I don't want is a hangover from the tough loss to Syracuse. Wake Forest is no pushover. We'll have to play well to beat them. Even at Cameron. I wouldn't mind seeing the line change for this game. If Quinn is hurting(physically) I hope he get's some rest this week. We need him in top condition physically and mentally. GoDuke!

freshmanjs
02-03-2014, 11:53 AM
No one wants to play our blue devils after a loss whether close or by a large margin, i say our blue devils will win by double digits tomorrow night? Thoughts

i think we'll play well. not sure this is quite like a normal post loss situation. that had to be a very draining experience mentally for the team. hopefully, they have had enough time to get refocused and be ready. this is Coach K's biggest strength IMO, so not very worried.

Kedsy
02-03-2014, 12:11 PM
i think we'll play well. not sure this is quite like a normal post loss situation. that had to be a very draining experience mentally for the team. hopefully, they have had enough time to get refocused and be ready. this is Coach K's biggest strength IMO, so not very worried.

I'm glad we're playing this one at home. The comforts of home and the energy from the crowd should allow us to recharge our batteries well enough.

Plus, Wake under Bzdelik is 2-27 in ACC road games and the 2 wins were against the ACC's worst (non-Wake) teams at the time. Obviously we have to show up, but I'm very confident coming into this game.

kAzE
02-03-2014, 12:15 PM
I don't think there's gonna be any kind of drop off from the Syracuse game. Our guys shouldn't be hanging their heads over that one, anybody who played in that game should know we were the better team, and that we just got hosed by Rakeem Flopmas. If anything, we should come out guns blazing, better than ever. I think we win this one by at least 15.

CDu
02-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Slight quibble, but today is Feb 3 (not Feb 2).

Big bounceback game for us. We played really well in Syracuse but came up just short. We need to continue the good play and not let that loss seep in to this game. I expect us to come out strong and win this one going away.

freshmanjs
02-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Slight quibble, but today is Feb 3 (not Feb 2).

Big bounceback game for us. We played really well in Syracuse but came up just short. We need to continue the good play and not let that loss seep in to this game. I expect us to come out strong and win this one going away.

and the game is on the 4th.

Gthoma2a
02-03-2014, 01:28 PM
My birthday wish is that we beat them so badly that Saturday gets retroactively turned into a W. It may not be possible within the rules, but who needs the rules!

On second thought, that last part sounded like a UNC fan. Just win, baby!

Matches
02-03-2014, 01:34 PM
I am concerned about a letdown - this game simply won't match the intensity of the last week. It's hard to sustain focus coming off a game like the one Saturday night. I trust K and the staff to guard against it, though.

RoadWake typically isn't very good but this is a better Wake team than we've seen the last few years. They are capable of giving us a run, even in Cameron, and I think this game is a real turning point for them after the disastrous loss to GT over the weekend. If they come in tomorrow night and we blow their doors off, the wheels could come off their season very quickly. I expect them to be ready to go, and possibly playing with a bit of desperation.

We *should* win by 15+, but shouldn't take anything for granted.

flyingdutchdevil
02-03-2014, 02:20 PM
I am concerned about a letdown - this game simply won't match the intensity of the last week. It's hard to sustain focus coming off a game like the one Saturday night. I trust K and the staff to guard against it, though.

RoadWake typically isn't very good but this is a better Wake team than we've seen the last few years. They are capable of giving us a run, even in Cameron, and I think this game is a real turning point for them after the disastrous loss to GT over the weekend. If they come in tomorrow night and we blow their doors off, the wheels could come off their season very quickly. I expect them to be ready to go, and possibly playing with a bit of desperation.

I'm gonna disagree with you. This is a team with a chip on its shoulder. After 5 losses with half the ACC season to go, this team is fired up. They are upset. They know that for a lot of those losses, they could have played better. Coach K knows he could have made better decisions. Everyone is mad, and that's a really really good thing.

With the comfort of Cameron, the students energetic and wild, and a pissed off team (especially Tyler, Sulaimon, and Cook), I don't want to be WF.

If they have a white flag, right now is the time to wave it.

MChambers
02-03-2014, 02:24 PM
He sprained his ankle in Wake's loss to Georgia Tech and missed most of the game. Anyone have an update on his status for tomorrow night?

Matches
02-03-2014, 02:28 PM
He sprained his ankle in Wake's loss to Georgia Tech and missed most of the game. Anyone have an update on his status for tomorrow night?

He swears he's playing. I'll be surprised if he doesn't.

MCFinARL
02-03-2014, 02:38 PM

On the good news side, it seems the players are already well aware of this possibility and were right after the Syracuse game, viz. this tweet from Herald Sun reporter Stephen Wiseman:
Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC Feb 1

Sulaimon definitely said Duke can't drop any "bunnies" and said the next game, Tuesday vs Wake, is a "trap game."

While we haven't always seen fire in the belly from this year's team in the game after a loss, I think that may have changed. At the very least, I think both coaches and players will be well aware of the importance of staying focused and the danger a team like Wake represents.

FerryFor50
02-03-2014, 03:46 PM
He swears he's playing. I'll be surprised if he doesn't.

http://myfox8.com/2014/02/02/wake-forest-falls-to-georgia-tech-79-70/

Bzdelik described Miller-McIntyre’s status as “day-to-day,’’ but Miller-McIntyre vowed to be ready for the Deacons’ next game at Duke on Tuesday.

“I’m going to play at Duke,” he said while signing an autograph outside the locker room.

However, his ankle injury was bad enough to keep him out of the 2nd half of a winnable GT game and he only gets 3-4 days of rest. Anyone who has sprained an ankle knows how it feels 3-4 days after (granted none of us get state of the art sports medicine treatment).... so if he DOES play, I don't expect him to be as effective.

Olympic Fan
02-03-2014, 04:11 PM

Bzdelik said on the teleconference Monday that Miller-McIntyre would be a game-time decision.

FWIW, Brian Gregory is confident that Trae Golden (hurt Saturday in the Wake game) would play Tuesday at Clemson. Leonard Hamilton said that he's pretty certain that Ian Miller (hurt Saturday against Clemson) won't play Wednesday against Va Tech.

As for Wake's chances in Cameron, I think it's a game Duke would have to try very hard to lose. It's not just that Bzdelik is 2-27 on the road in the ACC. But for all their progress in the last two years, they remain road patsies. Last year, they were 6-3 at home with some good performances -- an upset of No. 2 (at the time) Miami, No. 18 FSU, plus wins over Virginia and FSU. They took Duke to the wire before losing by five. But on the road, the only teams they played close were VPI (a one-point loss), at BC (a three-point loss). They lost the other seven road games by an average of almost 20 points -- none closer than 14.

So far this season, they have again been solid at home -- they beat UNC, NC State and Notre Dame in Winston-Salem. They lost a hard-fought game to No. 2 Syracuse. They did have a stinker against Georgia Tech when both Golden and Miller-McIntyre were lost in the first half.

But on the road, it's been the same old Wake Forest: yeah, they won at Virginia Tech, but otherwise they have lost by 23 at Virginia, by 15 at Pitt, and by eight at Clemson. I see no sign that they're becoming a better road team.

They've also lost 14 straight in Cameron -- every single one by double figures (even when Chris Paul and Josh Howard were there). They haven't won here since Tim Duncan was a senior.

When Duke has to visit Lawrence Joel on Mar. 5, I'll worry ... but not tomorrow night.

gofurman
02-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Bzdelik said on the teleconference Monday that Miller-McIntyre would be a game-time decision.

FWIW, Brian Gregory is confident that Trae Golden (hurt Saturday in the Wake game) would play Tuesday at Clemson. Leonard Hamilton said that he's pretty certain that Ian Miller (hurt Saturday against Clemson) won't play Wednesday against Va Tech.

As for Wake's chances in Cameron, I think it's a game Duke would have to try very hard to lose. It's not just that Bzdelik is 2-27 on the road in the ACC. But for all their progress in the last two years, they remain road patsies. Last year, they were 6-3 at home with some good performances -- an upset of No. 2 (at the time) Miami, No. 18 FSU, plus wins over Virginia and FSU. They took Duke to the wire before losing by five. But on the road, the only teams they played close were VPI (a one-point loss), at BC (a three-point loss). They lost the other seven road games by an average of almost 20 points -- none closer than 14.

So far this season, they have again been solid at home -- they beat UNC, NC State and Notre Dame in Winston-Salem. They lost a hard-fought game to No. 2 Syracuse. They did have a stinker against Georgia Tech when both Golden and Miller-McIntyre were lost in the first half.

But on the road, it's been the same old Wake Forest: yeah, they won at Virginia Tech, but otherwise they have lost by 23 at Virginia, by 15 at Pitt, and by eight at Clemson. I see no sign that they're becoming a better road team.

They've also lost 14 straight in Cameron -- every single one by double figures (even when Chris Paul and Josh Howard were there). They haven't won here since Tim Duncan was a senior.

When Duke has to visit Lawrence Joel on Mar. 5, I'll worry ... but not tomorrow night.

True - but this Wake team has surprised me with their play. I thought it was all McKie and the kid that graduated.. Instead (and this is good for Wake) McKie is third fiddle now to Miller-McIntyre and D Thomas. That's great for Wake - esp with those two being Sophomores. They could be a good team next year... but what do I know.. I thought Wake would really stink this year and that BC (where EVERYONE returned from Fr and Soph to now Soph and Junior) would be pretty good?? I don't understand BC.. I get that the Eagles had some injuries up there in Chestnut Hill but I thought they would be decent by now w Hanlon, Anderson and Rahon as 2nd and 3rd year players. I want Wake and BC to be decent to help the conference look a little better.

Though it helps to have maybe one or two chumps in the league as you don't want to wear down during the season - nice to have VT ! Really it is good to have one or two patsys so you can mentally take a break or two. I think when the whole league is a battle every night it wears you down. I guess what I am saying is I want most of the ACC to be good with one or two total pansies :).. And I don't like VT so I like when they are a pansy

hustleplays
02-03-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm gonna disagree with you. This is a team with a chip on its shoulder. After 5 losses with half the ACC season to go, this team is fired up. They are upset. They know that for a lot of those losses, they could have played better. Coach K knows he could have made better decisions. Everyone is mad, and that's a really really good thing.

With the comfort of Cameron, the students energetic and wild, and a pissed off team (especially Tyler, Sulaimon, and Cook), I don't want to be WF.

If they have a white flag, right now is the time to wave it.

I agree. Duke lost on Saturday, and they are not happy. Yet they also know they played the now #1 team in the nation even, and came very close to winning it. But the loss tells them they are not good enough -- they have to keep getting better. Saturday's loss against Syracuse is one of the "highest utility" losses I have seen in years.

Rasheed played his heart out, was heroic, and still lost, after predicting a victory. Rodney played his heart out, but was denied a basket due to a non-call foul on a ferocious dunk. Parker played his heart out, but agonized while sitting with five fouls at the end of the game. Amile played his heart out, and got a phantom 4th foul, then had to leave the game because of an obvious, not-smart foul. Tyler played his heart out, and sank three treys within 2 minutes, all to no avail. Quinn, well, his injury may have hampered his performance, [2 of 12 shooting, but 5 assists], and he probably thinks he didn't do his part. I hope he is well and does some soul-searching about how to be the best PG on the floor. Marshall wants to play more, and plays his heart out every time he steps onto the court.

The exciting loss put the Devils further out of contention for the ACC title.

Let down? I don't think so. This is a hungry, cohesive, even angry team that will get it done on Tuesday.

kAzE
02-03-2014, 10:24 PM

The ACC title has always been decided in the ACC tournament. We should be the favorites to win it, in my opinion.

Olympic Fan
02-03-2014, 11:18 PM
True - but this Wake team has surprised me with their play. I thought it was all McKie and the kid that graduated.. Instead (and this is good for Wake) McKie is third fiddle now to Miller-McIntyre and D Thomas.

Maybe ... but McKie is their leading scorer in conference play -- largely because he's over 90 percent from the foul line, while both CMM and DThomas are under 57 percent.

gofurman
02-04-2014, 12:49 AM
Maybe ... but McKie is their leading scorer in conference play -- largely because he's over 90 percent from the foul line, while both CMM and DThomas are under 57 percent.

Bump. Wake is all that matters for now. Get 7-3 and head to BC

duke09hms
02-04-2014, 01:05 AM
Bump. Wake is all that matters for now. Get 7-3 and head to BC

Lol 2 games at a time?

Beat Wake!

SirBlueDevil
02-04-2014, 06:23 AM
First let me say top of the morning to Blue Devil Nation!

I just got in my office and even before i go get my morning coffee i'm already signed into the message forum and anxiously awaiting tonights matchup with the boys of wake. Some of the early story lines from various sports pundits claim that wake can be a "trap" game and have the skill set to knock off our blue devils in CIS?

Not one to look down on any program especially within the acc confrence, what do some of you devil fans think?

In my world it's all about the Duke! the Blue! and the Devil baby!

jv001
02-04-2014, 07:24 AM
Looks like Duke is an 18 point favorite against Wake Forest. I expect a close game up to the 2nd TV timeout. Then Duke puts the pedal down and takes care of business. This Wake team is not very good on the road and I don't expect Codi-Miller McIntyre to be at full strength. If he doesn't play, Wake will not challenge at all. GoDuke!

JBDuke
02-04-2014, 08:24 AM
Looks like Duke is an 18 point favorite against Wake Forest. I expect a close game up to the 2nd TV timeout. Then Duke puts the pedal down and takes care of business. This Wake team is not very good on the road and I don't expect Codi-Miller McIntyre to be at full strength. If he doesn't play, Wake will not challenge at all. GoDuke!

This sounds pretty likely to me. If this plays out, the thing I'll be looking for is whether or not we regress and have a second-half let down that lets Wake get back in it somewhat. I'd love to see us keep playing hard and just bury them.

Saratoga2
02-04-2014, 08:56 AM
I agree. Duke lost on Saturday, and they are not happy. Yet they also know they played the now #1 team in the nation even, and came very close to winning it. But the loss tells them they are not good enough -- they have to keep getting better. Saturday's loss against Syracuse is one of the "highest utility" losses I have seen in years.

Rasheed played his heart out, was heroic, and still lost, after predicting a victory. Rodney played his heart out, but was denied a basket due to a non-call foul on a ferocious dunk. Parker played his heart out, but agonized while sitting with five fouls at the end of the game. Amile played his heart out, and got a phantom 4th foul, then had to leave the game because of an obvious, not-smart foul. Tyler played his heart out, and sank three treys within 2 minutes, all to no avail. Quinn, well, his injury may have hampered his performance, [2 of 12 shooting, but 5 assists], and he probably thinks he didn't do his part. I hope he is well and does some soul-searching about how to be the best PG on the floor. Marshall wants to play more, and plays his heart out every time he steps onto the court.

Let down? I don't think so. This is a hungry, cohesive, even angry team that will get it done on Tuesday.

Those of you who feel Duke will come out with more aggression than normal underestimates the team. I think they get up for home games as a rule and play well as long as they are healthy. To me, the Syracuse game indicated Duke is capable of scoring with anyone this year but it also indicated a weakness that other teams will try to exploit. That is when high quality players take the ball inside against Duke they are able to both score and also draw fouls. We have to find a way to keep our key players out of foul trouble while playing tough defense. We have enough guards to avoid problems, however we are really limited to Amile, Jabari, Marshall, Josh and Semi to contest inside. I liked the use of heavy substitutions to keep our guys fresh and out of foul trouble.

As far as Wake is concerned, we should apply pressure for 40 minutes. Tire out their team and force turnovers. We have the depth and should use it.

OldPhiKap
02-04-2014, 09:05 AM
We are on a pretty quick turn-around after several exhausting road games. I would love to think that we come out and put the hammer down for 40, but not sure that is going to happen. It certainly is not a "trap" game -- K takes every opponent very seriously -- but a let-down of some sort is not unexpected either.

MCFinARL
02-04-2014, 09:21 AM
We are on a pretty quick turn-around after several exhausting road games. I would love to think that we come out and put the hammer down for 40, but not sure that is going to happen. It certainly is not a "trap" game -- K takes every opponent very seriously -- but a let-down of some sort is not unexpected either.

Yes. The Syracuse-Notre Dame game may be relevant in that respect: the big stars of their game against Duke, Fair and Grant, were a bit gassed, and Cooney had to step up. It didn't look like Syracuse wasn't trying, or like they didn't care, but they just didn't have their usual level of energy to bring to the table.

For tonight, I'd be more than satisfied with Duke playing an overall solid game and well enough to win.

ChillinDuke
02-04-2014, 09:26 AM
I get the vibe, after watching the body language and intensity from everyone on the team on Saturday, that it just clicked for these guys that this can be a special, special year. And that they are capable of playing with anyone in any environment.

It was just one of those games where it seemed like everyone was in the moment. While this team has room to improve in terms of physical play, that was a defining game in terms of attitude.

A let-down of some sort is obviously not out of the question. I, for one, do not expect it at all though.

- Chillin

NashvilleDevil
02-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Yes. The Syracuse-Notre Dame game may be relevant in that respect: the big stars of their game against Duke, Fair and Grant, were a bit gassed, and Cooney had to step up. It didn't look like Syracuse wasn't trying, or like they didn't care, but they just didn't have their usual level of energy to bring to the table.

For tonight, I'd be more than satisfied with Duke playing an overall solid game and well enough to win.

Well the good thing for Duke is that Parker and Jefferson sat the last half of the Syracuse game so they should be well rested for tonight.

Troublemaker
02-04-2014, 10:24 AM
I'm with those that think Duke will do something filthy to Wake tonight. Absolutely filthy.

That 18-pt spread feels like a 2-pt spread. Filthiness will occur.

Troublemaker
02-04-2014, 10:37 AM
To me, the Syracuse game indicated Duke is capable of scoring with anyone this year but it also indicated a weakness that other teams will try to exploit. That is when high quality players take the ball inside against Duke they are able to both score and also draw fouls. We have to find a way to keep our key players out of foul trouble while playing tough defense. We have enough guards to avoid problems, however we are really limited to Amile, Jabari, Marshall, Josh and Semi to contest inside. I liked the use of heavy substitutions to keep our guys fresh and out of foul trouble.

You do realize that Amile fouled out in 28 minutes and Jabari fouled out in 26 minutes, right?

Let's deduct 5 minutes each.

Do you really think playing Amile only 23 minutes and Jabari only 21 minutes would've increased Duke's chances to win at Syracuse in the Carrier Dome?

No, you want your best players on the court as much as possible. That means the solution is: Amile and Jabari have got to stop fouling and/or the refs have to start calling non-fouls correctly, whichever your preferred explanation is.

Brockt10
02-04-2014, 02:01 PM
I'm with those that think Duke will do something filthy to Wake tonight. Absolutely filthy.

That 18-pt spread feels like a 2-pt spread. Filthiness will occur.

I am hoping its a 40 point victory and Marshall grabs a double double.

Anyone else get angry they would rarely feed him the ball in the high post and when they did he was afraid to make a move? Syracuse gave him seven feet of space when he was twelve feet away. I know he isn't an offensive animal but he is 7ft tall and 250lb's with a nice vertical....I just wanted to see him turn around, take two steps, and go up strong.......just once

wilson
02-04-2014, 02:16 PM
I get the vibe, after watching the body language and intensity from everyone on the team on Saturday, that it just clicked for these guys that this can be a special, special year. And that they are capable of playing with anyone in any environment.

It was just one of those games where it seemed like everyone was in the moment. While this team has room to improve in terms of physical play, that was a defining game in terms of attitude.

- ChillinThis is a great point. Because college basketball is such a psychological battle, I think that this kind of "moment" you speak of is a very real thing. I think this is especially true under a coach like K who has long thrived on the management of personalities and excellent motivation as much as anything else.

Highlander
02-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Excited because I'm headed to Cameron tonight for my first trip since 2011. That was Kyrie's first game in a Duke uniform. Hoping this one ends up with a similar result. It'll be a late night driving back to Charlotte, but any trip to Cameron for an ACC game is worth it.

I like what I have seen out of this team recently. We are starting to fire on all cylinders. I would like us to cut down on the fouls a bit and play better defense than we did vs. Syracuse, but otherwise I hope I'm in for a comfortable win.

throatybeard
02-04-2014, 03:09 PM
I've always wondered why Wake Forest wasn't renamed Reynolds University when it relocated to W-S.

roywhite
02-04-2014, 03:25 PM
I've always wondered why Wake Forest wasn't renamed Reynolds University when it relocated to W-S.

Don't know for sure, but in reading about the move from Wake County to W-S, there were major funds raised from other sources, in addition to the Reynolds donations.

History of Wake Forest (http://www.wfu.edu/history/HST_WFU/perry.html)

The Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation proposed that up to $350,000 a year of the income from the Foundation be given in perpetuity to Wake Forest College, provided the entire College was relocated in Winston-Salem, and with the stipulation that other friends of the College provide a campus site and buildings. In 1946 the Board of Trustees, the Convention, which had originally founded Wake Forest, and the Baptist constituency of the State accepted this proposal.

President Tribble immediately began to mobilize the alumni, friends of the College, and the Baptist State Convention in support of the great transition. The State Convention adopted a nine-year program of increased annual support to all the Baptist Colleges in the state and pledged funds for the building of Wait Chapel on the new campus.

The Reynolds Foundation agreed to set aside for buildings the $350,000 annual support until the removal actually occurred, and from these funds the Z. Smith Reynolds Library was constructed. The Foundation also offered a $3,000,000 challenge gift, from which Reynolda Hall was constructed. The citizens of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County contributed the cost of construction of a science building, and William Neal Reynolds contributed $1,000,000 for a gymnasium.

A three hundred and twenty acre campus site was provided through the generosity of the late Charles H. and Mary Reynolds Babcock. Ground-breaking ceremonies were held on October 15, 1951, and a crowd of more than 20,000 watched President Harry S. Truman lift the first shovel of dirt to begin construction on the new campus. Between 1952 and 1956 fourteen buildings were erected on the campus and the actual removal of the College to its new home was accomplished in time for the opening of the summer session in 1956.

I guess we need to get Sumner off sick leave to verify this, but looks like more of a group effort than just Reynolds, plus the fact that Wake Forest had a long history prior to the re-location..

Olympic Fan
02-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Want a laugh? Check out the Wake Forest take on tonight's game from their scout board:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=192&f=1118&t=12654107

Not a single person picking the Deacs -- and the only guy expecting anything close says it will only be 10-12 points because K will keep it close to avoid running off Bzdelik. That's a major there on the Wake board -- that K is always nice to Buzz to make sure he doesn't get fired.

Bob Green
02-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Duke is an 18 points favorite with the over/under set at 145.5 so Vegas is looking for a score in the neighborhood of 82-64.

BD80
02-04-2014, 04:19 PM
This might be a good chance for Quinn to rest his ankle. I wouldn't mind seeing Rasheed start and Matt log some serious minutes - FOR THIS GAME.

If rest will help Quinn's ankle, we can use this as an opportunity for Rasheed and, to a lesser extent Matt, get some time running the offense

Furniture
02-04-2014, 04:56 PM
I am hoping its a 40 point victory and Marshall grabs a double double.

Anyone else get angry they would rarely feed him the ball in the high post and when they did he was afraid to make a move? Syracuse gave him seven feet of space when he was twelve feet away. I know he isn't an offensive animal but he is 7ft tall and 250lb's with a nice vertical....I just wanted to see him turn around, take two steps, and go up strong.......just once

I think that there is a possibility that K has told them to not feed him at the moment but with some easier games coming up hopefully they will start to develop it. The coaching staff might be taking a one step at a time approach to develop him. Maybe they have done this with other players?

Kedsy
02-04-2014, 05:05 PM
I think that there is a possibility that K has told them to not feed him at the moment but with some easier games coming up hopefully they will start to develop it. The coaching staff might be taking a one step at a time approach to develop him. Maybe they have done this with other players?

That would be weird to tell them not to pass to Marshall. My guess is Marshall isn't receiving a lot of passes because he's either not getting particularly good position or the players don't have confidence that they'll get a good result if they give Marshall the ball. Probably a bit of each.

MChambers
02-04-2014, 05:10 PM
That would be weird to tell them not to pass to Marshall. My guess is Marshall isn't receiving a lot of passes because he's either not getting particularly good position or the players don't have confidence that they'll get a good result if they give Marshall the ball. Probably a bit of each.
And Marshall has done a decent job of passing out of the post, especially on offensive rebounds. You'd think that if he got a pass in the low post that he'd be able to pass to an open shooter.

davekay1971
02-04-2014, 06:41 PM
Points I'm watching for tonight:

1) Intensity and focus: as many posters have already said, having a game against a "beatable" opponent, following a tough loss in a "circle the date on the calendar" Syracuse game is a set-up for a let-down. I doubt we'll see that. In fact, I think this team has gained enough maturity, focus, and drive that they will come out nasty. This team has grown quite a bit in the last month. I would be very disappointed to see a mental regression tonight, and I don't expect to see it at all.

2) Defense: obviously related to point 1, but our defense has improved markedly. Some of that is the players focusing on it, some is them learning how to play Duke defense. I want to see the ball-hawking, harassing, nasty defense we saw against State.

3) Rebounding: the team has turned rebounding into a strength. Keep it up.

4) Cook: everyone else on the team seems to be growing and finding their role. Parker's gotten off his mid-season freshman slump, Rodney is turning into our Mr. Reliable, Dawkins and Sulaimon have both found their mojo and are contributing instant offense when they are on court. Amile is one of the best rebounders in the ACC, Marshall is providing great energy in his minutes, and Josh and Tyler are doing what Josh and Tyler do. Cook is the engine. Want to see him banging on all cylinders.

Kedsy
02-04-2014, 07:15 PM
Amile is one of the best rebounders in the ACC...

Based on rebound percentages, Amile is the best rebounder in the ACC.

riverside6
02-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Wake Forest, starters posted. Tyler Thornton starting in Cook's place tonight.

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=20093

Bob Green
02-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Tyler Thornton starting in Cook's place tonight.

My thoughts are this move is so Cook can get some rest to facilitate achieving 100% health in the near future. Those rolled ankles can be pesky. I expect Sulaimon will execute the offense a good bit.

devildeac
02-04-2014, 09:04 PM
No chat tonight?

CLW
02-04-2014, 09:13 PM
not exactly an inspiring start.

CLW
02-04-2014, 09:26 PM
really shaky "d" early.

Tucknut
02-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Oh, God. Len Elmore. Really?

rsvman
02-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Dawkins looking good on offense.

Sulaimon looking good on both ends.

jipops
02-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Looks like we're back in December

lotusland
02-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Cook's shot still coming up short plus 2 quick turnovers

CLW
02-04-2014, 09:32 PM
wake wants it more team is flat

CLW
02-04-2014, 09:34 PM
Amile is getting OWNED in the paint

BlueandWhite
02-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Memo to Josh Hairston: Do Not Shoot Mid-Range Jump Shots

CLW
02-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Matador D is BACK.

lotusland
02-04-2014, 09:44 PM
Cook is really struggling. Hope he snaps out of it soon.

CLW
02-04-2014, 09:44 PM
Cook is really struggling. Hope he snaps out of it soon.

i believe he is suffering from some ankle issues he looks really sluggish/slow out there.

ChrisP
02-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Wake had 25 points with just under 10:00 to play. On pace for a 50 point half is not where Duke wants to be. Defense guys!!!

jipops
02-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Well we did hold them scoreless for about 3 minutes until that backdoor dunk.

Overall the defense has stunk it up, Vermont style

CLW
02-04-2014, 09:46 PM
that one squealing girl wake fan is LOUDER than all the crazies combined tonight.

Dukehky
02-04-2014, 09:47 PM
i believe he is suffering from some ankle issues he looks really sluggish/slow out there.

He looks to be moving fine, he just has no confidence. If he was hurt and playing this poorly, he wouldn't be playing. K is, I think, trying to get him out of a funk. He is the playing by far the worst of anybody on the team tonight. His jump shot isn't even close and it's like he can't dribble anymore. It looks like the aliens from Space Jam came and took his talent.

And shut the hell up Len Elmore, nobody cares what you think

ncexnyc
02-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Let me know when our frontline returns from upstate New York.

Kfanarmy
02-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Don't tell me interior d is not the problem...wow

Since when is standing there grabbing at the ball while your man runs by you defense

Dukehky
02-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Let me know when our frontline returns from upstate New York.

Lookin like it a little right now. Come on boys, put them away.

Channing
02-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Quinn has been a very good player over the years, but I greatly anticipate the arrival of Tyus Jones. Quinn would really improve his game if he understood that he wasn't as good a shooter as he thinks he is. He needs to stop shooting, to be frank.

I'm hoping this is his ankles holding him back. He doesn't look good at all. I'll advised drives leading to turnovers, loafing on rebounds, and bad to awful looking jump shots.

CLW
02-04-2014, 09:50 PM
per usual the offense is clicking but its almost like this team just will not accept the fact that they cannot just outscore everyone every night.

Dukehky
02-04-2014, 09:50 PM
that one squealing girl wake fan is LOUDER than all the crazies combined tonight.

With the exception of the Michigan game, the crazies have been awful all year.

Ggallagher
02-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Wake had 25 points with just under 10:00 to play. On pace for a 50 point half is not where Duke wants to be. Defense guys!!!

Wow - you gotta do that again. Now they have 28 with 3:30 to go. :)

CLW
02-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Wow - you gotta do that again. Now they have 28 with 3:30 to go. :)

Agree ChrisP may be the heir apparent to Coach K with that kind of motivational talk.

CLW
02-04-2014, 09:56 PM
wake finally playing like wake and falling apart with just stupid mistakes.

CLW
02-04-2014, 10:00 PM
we DEFINITELY should recruit that squealing wake girl to the crazy section she is LOUD

Furniture
02-04-2014, 10:04 PM
She is giving me a headache. No wonder the crowd is quiet!!

jipops
02-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Wake only had 2 fg's in the last 10 1/2 minutes of the half. Both were dunks.

CLW
02-04-2014, 10:07 PM
poor defense to start but cranked it up a bit + wake finally turned into wake and the offense continues to just click. hopefully they come out hungry on D to start the 2nd and just run wake out of the building early.

CBecker
02-04-2014, 10:08 PM
Huge run from Duke after Cook was taken out of the game

The Gordog
02-04-2014, 10:16 PM
per usual the offense is clicking but its almost like this team just will not accept the fact that they cannot just outscore everyone every night.

I don't mean to be overly snarky, but isn't that the definition of winning - outscoring the opponent? I think I hear you saying that you think our guys don't try very hard on defence, if that is the case then I disagree. Not very effective - sure.

dairedevil
02-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Whether it was Duke finally finding some defense, or Wake's early adrenaline rush wearing off, and them returning to form, Wake only scored 2 baskets in the last 11 minutes of the half.

CLW
02-04-2014, 10:29 PM
I don't mean to be overly snarky, but isn't that the definition of winning - outscoring the opponent? I think I hear you saying that you think our guys don't try very hard on defence, if that is the case then I disagree. Not very effective - sure.

I think they try "hard" on D. However, I think they try "harder" (i.e. exert more energy and are more focused, etc...) on O. The team has deficiencies like lack of a rim protector and some guys playing out of a natural/ideal position but they certainly have the capability of being better than 85th in the country in defensive efficiency.

CR9
02-04-2014, 10:37 PM
That Sulaimon guy can play a little bit.

davekay1971
02-04-2014, 10:40 PM
It's all about the D. Gave up 25 points in 10 minutes of game action to start the game with some unfocused D. In 16 minutes of game time since, 13 points given up with intense, ball-hawking D. This team can be truly special if they keep the focus on the D.

Furniture
02-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Lots of fouls! Good job we are winning otherwise we would have to blame the refs!!

TKG
That Sulaimon guy can play a little bit.

He has had two very nice finishes at the rim using his off hand (left).

FerryFor50
It's all about the D. Gave up 25 points in 10 minutes of game action to start the game with some unfocused D. In 16 minutes of game time since, 13 points given up with intense, ball-hawking D. This team can be truly special if they keep the focus on the D.

I feel like the first 10 minutes was partly D. But Wake was making some contested shots. Yes, some were layups, but they were the "double pump, throw it up and hope it goes in" variety. The poor D was on the backdoor cuts. They came back down to earth and Duke locked down a bit more on defense and started overplaying those backdoor plays and communicating better.

Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the other team making tough shots.

FerryFor50
02-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Lots of fouls! Good job we are winning otherwise we would have to blame the refs!!

At least these fouls have been mostly legit.

Channing
02-04-2014, 11:01 PM
Jeez ... Len Elmore is insufferable. He is absolutely the worst.

CLW
02-04-2014, 11:03 PM
44 fouls called with 5:34 remaining....

The Gordog
02-04-2014, 11:08 PM
Jeez ... Len Elmore is insufferable. He is absolutely the worst.

Agreed. I am not watching but just following along in Game Tracker. I see Jabari is, for the first time I can remember, playing better in the second half than the first. I wonder why. Is Wake focused on stopping the 3?

CLW
02-04-2014, 11:09 PM
Hairston with another clunker from 15

duke4ever19
02-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Hairston with another clunker from 15

... and the tides comes in, the tides go out, the sun rises, the sun sets... :D

CLW
02-04-2014, 11:16 PM
well thanks to this lackluster close looks like my SFTC streak ends tonight as well. :mad:

IBleedBlue
02-04-2014, 11:17 PM
I feel bad for Jeff Bzedlik. He came into a very unique situation where WF made consecutive NCAA appearances. He was hired to take them further. Unlike other coaches who get to build from bottom up.
Here he is struggling and fans will surely be calling for his head at the end of this season. I believe their AD made a very bad error in judgement by firing DG and bringing in JB.