PDA

View Full Version : Question for fellow blue devil fans?

SirBlueDevil
02-03-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm sure a majority of syracuse fans are still smarting over their overtime win this weekend in a game that could've gone either way but didn't for our team.

With that being said, i came across a new article where the lead heading read "Changing of the guard in the ACC?"!

Not one to be a spoiled sport even when the blue devils lose but isn't it to early to start mentioning rivalry or changing of the guard? I mean syracuse still has to come to our house feb 22nd and of course i'm going to go on record as saying as our boys will save home court with a victory, i just want to hear what some of you blue devil faithfuls have to say on this matter.

blazindw
02-03-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm sure a majority of syracuse fans are still smarting over their overtime win this weekend in a game that could've gone either way but didn't for our team.

With that being said, i came across a new article where the lead heading read "Changing of the guard in the ACC?"!

Not one to be a spoiled sport even when the blue devils lose but isn't it to early to start mentioning rivalry or changing of the guard? I mean syracuse still has to come to our house feb 22nd and of course i'm going to go on record as saying as our boys will save home court with a victory, i just want to hear what some of you blue devil faithfuls have to say on this matter.

Oh and for the record any syrcause fans looking to start acting like trolls over this thread.....Don't!

I don't think Syracuse is going to become a rival anytime soon. That certainly won't happen after one or two games. Our fanbase doesn't hate theirs, though theirs has started to hate ours (I guess camping out for 2 weeks in Syracuse weather could make you hate anything;)). But, we're very clear about who our rivals are and everyone else that claims to be our rival I just summarily dismiss. Everything thinks we're their rival. I've met people here in DC that went to Monmouth that considered us a rival because we played them a couple years in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament. Seriously! Playing a game against us doesn't make you a rival.

Syracuse will be a big time matchup because of the programs and the coaches and the fact that both teams are expected to be very good every season. But a rival they are not.

killerleft
02-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Sir Blue Devil:

We're not that dumb here that we can't put your Feb. 2014 start date together with the subject of this thread and not be wondering whether or not you are a troll. Especially with the closing sentence, which reads like a terribly poor attempt at deflection. Is this true?

roywhite
02-03-2014, 09:31 AM

Oh and for the record any syrcause fans looking to start acting like trolls over this thread.....Don't!

Welcome to the board and yes, look forward to the re-match.

Better check your usage of "smarting" in that first sentence; it generally means "hurting" or "stinging" when used in that context. One thing you'll learn quickly here is that posters will point out errors of fact or grammar.

SirBlueDevil
02-03-2014, 09:36 AM
I'm well aware of the spell check and sentence structuring perfection police that monitor the forums. I post for fun and could care less if in typing to fast i mispell some words or mistakenly not use the right punctuations, it's a message forum for fans.

Secondly, blazen thanks for your feedback i know who our rival is and have been since birth!

SirBlueDevil
02-03-2014, 09:40 AM
Not a a troll nor am i intrested in resorting to personal attacks on individuals i don't even know!

Might i suggest you look the other way if you don't like what i have to say, i love and support duke blue and will continue to do so!

roywhite
02-03-2014, 09:44 AM

I'm well aware of the spell check and sentence structuring perfection police that monitor the forums. I post for fun and could care less if in typing to fast i mispell some words or mistakenly not use the right punctuations, it's a message forum for fans.

Secondly, blazen thanks for your feedback i know who our rival is and have been since birth!

You're not off to an auspicious start.

Your error in the first sentence you posted on this forum was a mis-use of the term "smarting" to describe the reaction of Syracuse fans, not a spell check or sentence structure issue. Syracuse fans might be crowing, bragging, or gloating, but almost certainly not smarting over the win.

Rich
02-03-2014, 09:48 AM

I measure a rivalry based on whether Duke takes the time and effort to put another team's name or logo on our apparel. Right now we only do that with Carolina. They're our rival and have been for years. We never put Maryland's name on our apparel or State or Wake and we've played them for 100 years. And I don't think we're going to start doing it with Syracuse either, at least not for some time.

Now, whether they put Duke's name or logo on their apparel (Syracuse's BEAT DUKE shirts sold since January) only shows the level of respect their fans/school have for Duke, not whether we return the sentiments. The #2 team in the nation hosts the #17 team and THEY'RE the one's printing up shirts! That's crazy respect for our program and, in my opinion, shows that we're already in their heads. Duke as a team and as a program just doesn't do that (except with Carolina).

killerleft
02-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Not a a troll nor am i intrested in resorting to personal attacks on individuals i don't even know!

Might i suggest you look the other way if you don't like what i have to say, i love and support duke blue and will continue to do so!

Then I will conditionally retract what I suggested. The :cool: icon doesn't exactly go with the thread you started. If you're legit, then welcome to the board!

SirBlueDevil
02-03-2014, 09:55 AM
So am i to take it this forum is not for duke fans to speak with one another about our love for K and the blue devils but rather to pick apart individuals posts while deciphering if their worthy to be blue devil fans?

Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't believe i attacked anything or anyone supporting the blue devils when i made my first thread!

I swear some of you take things ment to be fun and enjoyable and flip them around so negatively!

DukeAlumBS
02-03-2014, 09:56 AM
I agree, we all know who our rival is and we hate them a great deal. This rivalry with UNC and the old school will always be there. Syracuse can go out and play Georgetown or an old Big East team if this is what they seek. I was annoyed at the comparisons of TWO great coaches during the early part of the game. JB has done well. Coach K has done great work. With a great deal more under his belt. We know this. If anything, I found that suggestion to be very embarrassing to what we love. Duke basketball and coach K and the players.
I made a comment about trolls from Syracuse. I do not do well with trolls. Have been banned from a badger shaving brush forum, because of trolls. I also got the boot out of a great bamboo fishing forum. It is my Army English that gets me in trouble. And I am very abrupt! Thank you for posting this. I am still upset at the loss. We all know what happened. I BTW see this team winning out. To include a big game against Syracuse in Durham.
BTW I have no respect for Syracuse just so you know. Their view regarding athletics and academics can be better.
If there is any spelling issues, or grammar. I am sorry. Let it be! LOL

Have a nice day my friends
Jimmy

blazindw
02-03-2014, 09:58 AM
I measure a rivalry based on whether Duke takes the time and effort to put another team's name or logo on our apparel. Right now we only do that with Carolina. They're our rival and have been for years. We never put Maryland's name on our apparel or State or Wake and we've played them for 100 years. And I don't think we're going to start doing it with Syracuse either, at least not for some time.

Now, whether they put Duke's name or logo on their apparel (Syracuse's BEAT DUKE shirts sold since January) only shows the level of respect their fans/school have for Duke, not whether we return the sentiments. The #2 team in the nation hosts the #17 team and THEY'RE the one's printing up shirts! That's crazy respect for our program and, in my opinion, shows that we're already in their heads. Duke as a team and as a program just doesn't do that (except with Carolina).

They've been up for a couple months! (http://markbialczak.com/2013/11/26/two-months-before-first-duke-game-syracuse-fans-have-a-rivalry-shirt/) It also didn't help that ESPN kept throwing around the "rival" tag. That's a lot to ask of two teams that had played each other only twice with Boeheim and K manning the sidelines.

SirBlueDevil
02-03-2014, 10:00 AM
I appreciate your viewpoint DukeAlum

Rich
02-03-2014, 10:36 AM
They've been up for a couple months! (http://markbialczak.com/2013/11/26/two-months-before-first-duke-game-syracuse-fans-have-a-rivalry-shirt/) It also didn't help that ESPN kept throwing around the "rival" tag. That's a lot to ask of two teams that had played each other only twice with Boeheim and K manning the sidelines.

You're right. I meant to write "since the beginning of the season" and in my mind that translated to "beginning of the year" and I ended up writing "January." I have friends who went to Syracuse and they've been hounding me about these shirts for months. I responded to them the same way I wrote my post - you won't see Duke producing BEAT ORGANGE shirts. Just sayin'. Shuts them up pretty quickly.

blazindw
02-03-2014, 10:40 AM
You're right. I meant to write "since the beginning of the season" and in my mind that translated to "beginning of the year" and I ended up writing "January." I have friends who went to Syracuse and they've been hounding me about these shirts for months. I responded to them the same way I wrote my post - you won't see Duke producing BEAT ORGANGE shirts. Just sayin'. Shuts them up pretty quickly.

Fair enough...and yep, I've seen them on my timeline several times. I told them the only time you'll see a team not named UNC on a Duke shirt is if it's a shirt for the Final Four.

DukeAlumBS
02-03-2014, 11:28 AM
I appreciate your viewpoint DukeAlum

Welcome BTW, am back to harass the English majors that trouble all of us. Let this guy be!
In all honesty we have a Navy type PHD in pharmacy, and another. Correct me if I am wrong.
They should have started middle school writing IMO. I like you, am a free wheeler. I let it go.
In retrospect, do ok. If someone says something, the English, goes to Army English!
Good luck here, it is a very nice forum. We have a puppy "wheat" (UNC) they allow which I think is great. He hashes our losses this year, while on IC the opposite coming out of there.

Have nice day
Jimmy

Doug.I.Am
02-03-2014, 11:41 AM
As pointed out by others, one game doesn't make a rivalry. I personally think all this talk is fueled by K v. Jim B, not necessarily the teams. It was a GREAT game, let it go at that.
Rivalries take years to develop. Can't wait to see the game in CIS. Enjoy the ride.

alteran
02-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Please pardon the following rant, not really directed at anyone in particular. I'm just going to pipe up that I do not get that so many Duke fans feel a strong need to assert to each and every team out there that they are not "a rival."

This is partly semantics. It seems that the rest of the world uses the world "rival" to mean in the sense of A rivalry (i.e., they are using the definition in the dictionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rival)). What they don't get is that as Duke fans, when we hear the word "rival," the world kind of grays out, our blood pounds, we grit our teeth, and see Carolina Blue. I get that. Lord do I get it. I get it so much my cardiologist has requested that I watch Duke-UNC games on delay. I get it so much I watch them live anyway.

But I do think we should keep in mind that everyone else in the basketball universe does not live within ten miles of Chapel Hill, and does not really get how critical it is that those sanctimonious weasels MUST LOSE, how their idols must be taken down and smashed, and how joyous the lamentation of their whiners is. Ah, the lamentation of their whiners.

I think Duke-Syracuse may have the seeds of a rivalry. We're going to have to go through each other more than likely over the coming years if we want a taste of the ACC regular season title. That will build some history.

Also, these guys had the unmitigated gall NOT to storm the court when they beat us. It's almost like they think they're on our level or something. The nerve.

Again, no one, and I mean NO ONE, thinks that's going to affect the Duke-UNC rivalry, which is eternal, justified, and mentioned on ESPN before and after every commercial break.

But I sure can see myself getting a little extra joy out of beating these guys over the years.

OldPhiKap
02-03-2014, 11:55 AM
K addressed this in his post-game comments, saying that rivalries are built on mutual respect and not hatred.

Duke and Syracuse are two excellent programs with a lot of respect between them.

I am not a monorivalrist. Duke-Syracuse is a rivalry. Just not THE rivalry.

SirBlueDevil
02-03-2014, 12:03 PM
"As pointed out by others, one game doesn't make a rivalry".....so true Doug.U.Are!

After i make this statement i will forever (in my mind) label the first Duke/Cuse game a fluke, i say this because of how both Parker and Jefferson racked up fouls like cuse fans sucked up those bright orange lame "Beat Duke" shirts and the fact that ( never mind i'm a blue devils fan) R. Hood was most definitly fouled on the hand during that slam dunk attempt.

To say i'm waiting with bated breath for the rematch is an understatement but never more so than the first game of this season with the smurfs of unc ( our truest rival in every way, shape and form)

kAzE
02-03-2014, 12:09 PM
1 game = changing of the guard? Seriously? Just because they are undefeated doesn't mean anything. Nothing is decided until the ACC tournament is over.

DukeAlumBS
02-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Please pardon the following rant, not really directed at anyone in particular. I'm just going to pipe up that I do not get that so many Duke fans feel a strong need to assert to each and every team out there that they are not "a rival."

This is partly semantics. It seems that the rest of the world uses the world "rival" to mean in the sense of A rivalry (i.e., they are using the definition in the dictionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rival)). What they don't get is that as Duke fans, when we hear the word "rival," the world kind of grays out, our blood pounds, we grit our teeth, and see Carolina Blue. I get that. Lord do I get it. I get it so much my cardiologist has requested that I watch Duke-UNC games on delay. I get it so much I watch them live anyway.

But I do think we should keep in mind that everyone else in the basketball universe does not live within ten miles of Chapel Hill, and does not really get how critical it is that those sanctimonious weasels MUST LOSE, how their idols must be taken down and smashed, and how joyous the lamentation of their whiners is. Ah, the lamentation of their whiners.

I think Duke-Syracuse may have the seeds of a rivalry. We're going to have to go through each other more than likely over the coming years if we want a taste of the ACC regular season title. That will build some history.

Also, these guys had the unmitigated gall NOT to storm the court when they beat us. It's almost like they think they're on our level or something. The nerve.

Again, no one, and I mean NO ONE, thinks that's going to affect the Duke-UNC rivalry, which is eternal, justified, and mentioned on ESPN before and after every commercial break.

But I sure can see myself getting a little extra joy out of beating these guys over the years.

In the pre game forum I commented to a Syracuse poster. That if we lose, please storm the court. This makes me so mad. A done deal, we will bless them in Durham. My friends, nice day. Jimmy

blazindw
02-03-2014, 12:23 PM

I don't think anyone on here is saying they're not a rival. I think most of us are saying they're not a rival yet. I need more than 3 games to even consider thinking about a team becoming a rival.

greybeard
02-03-2014, 12:54 PM
35,000 fans show up to see no. 2 ranked team do what the free world expects, dismantle an "undersized" Duke who nobody is talking about and their team gets smash mouthed, skins it out over the last, what, 10 minutes with a 6'5" center against them, "gloating" they are not. Boeheim can deploy that zone to stop anything, but could not stop Duke; Fair and Grant have career scoring games, Christmas came early for Christmas, and still Duke played better, K coached better. If not "smarting," they're dumb.

lotusland
02-03-2014, 01:17 PM
There certainly will be a changing of the guard in the ACC after adding Cuse, Pitt ND and L'ville. It won't be Duke, Carolina and a random 3rd team (MD, FSU, Miami) competing for the championship. It's been awhile since Wake and NCSU have been top tier programs anyway. It's very likely that one or more or the Big East schools will be in hunt every year. Both Syracuse and Pitt generated a lot of excitement for this Blue Devil fan. Carolina is the only team I want to slaughter every year regardless of their record or ours but I look forward to some more big games against our new conference contenders.

Checking IC I did notice that the Heels fans actually had a thread debating who they should pull for. Of course most said they would always root against Duke but a surprising number said it with the caveat "as much as I hate Syracuse and Pitt...". I don't get that vibe on DBR at all and I've never had anything against those schools. UConn was the only Big East school that I've ever rooted against and that is due to some important tournament losses and suspect recruiting. Anyone know why Carolina fans hate Cuse and Pitt? Or is just that they are filled with bitterness, resentment and Bile towards everyone?

Turk
02-03-2014, 01:25 PM
There certainly will be a changing of the guard in the ACC after adding Cuse, Pitt ND and L'ville. It won't be Duke, Carolina and a random 3rd team (MD, FSU, Miami) competing for the championship. It's been awhile since Wake and NCSU have been top tier programs anyway. It's very likely that one or more or the Big East schools will be in hunt every year. Both Syracuse and Pitt generated a lot of excitement for this Blue Devil fan. Carolina is the only team I want to slaughter every year regardless of their record or ours but I look forward to some more big games against our new conference contenders.

Checking IC I did notice that the Heels fans actually had a thread debating who they should pull for. Of course most said they would always root against Duke but a surprising number said it with the caveat "as much as I hate Syracuse and Pitt...". I don't get that vibe on DBR at all and I've never had anything against those schools. UConn was the only Big East school that I've ever rooted against and that is due to some important tournament losses and suspect recruiting. Anyone know why Carolina fans hate Cuse and Pitt? Or is just that they are filled with bitterness, resentment and Bile towards everyone?

I like the "bitterness, resentment, and Bile" argument. There might be some unc oldsters who hate all things north of the Mason-Dixon too. As for Duke's more balanced perspective, there hasn't been much history with Pitt and Syracuse, so we're starting with a blank slate. Then consider that Syracuse has a positive with the Boeheim - K friendship, and Pitt has a positive with the shared connection of Dick Groat. Then we have two great games, and everyone is off to a very good start.

The league would have been better off adding Pitt and Syracuse instead of BC and VT. (at least for basketball).

weezie
02-03-2014, 06:27 PM
We have a puppy "wheat" (UNC) they allow which I think is great.

A puppy? More like a mangy old mongrel lurking under the front porch. Tolerable, yeah, I guess. We feed him but only scratch his ears once or twice a year.
Puppy, indeed. :cool:

Heh, heh, heh.... the wheatster.

weezie
02-03-2014, 06:29 PM
I don't think anyone on here is saying they're not a rival. I think most of us are saying they're not a rival yet.

Agreed. But for now, let's start concentrating on boiling the orange skin off with noise in Cameron. I'd like to see the whites of their eyes when they hit that wall of sound.

77devil
02-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Agreed. But for now, let's start concentrating on boiling the orange skin off with noise in Cameron. I'd like to see the whites of their eyes when they hit that wall of sound.

Notwithstanding the record crowd in the Carrier Dome, it did not sound very loud on television. High sound absorbing ceiling and seats far from the court seemed to dampen the volume. Whatever hostile crowds this crop of Orangemen have faced, they've never experience the ear splitting roar they will experience February 22 in CIS.

DieHard
02-03-2014, 07:20 PM
"Nothing is decided until the ACC tournament is over."

A point the national media does not understand, and several local members conveniently forget. It was a great game. They won. They may win the unbalanced regular season title. ACC Championship is still to be determined.

As far as rivals...the loudest "BOOO" of every ACC tournament is when Duke takes the floor. I love it, and call it respect. Much different from when I was younger and UNC had this honor. Syracuse fans can join the rest of the ACC fan-bases in this respect. A rivalry may grow over time.

OldSchool
02-04-2014, 02:19 AM
K addressed this in his post-game comments, saying that rivalries are built on mutual respect and not hatred.

No doubt K is doing his best to base any rivalry on respect, but in today's society sports rivalries seem to be increasingly characterized by hatred.

In the case of Syracuse, if we do regularly have exciting games and contend head-to-head with them for conference championships, at least the friendship of the two coaches, given the enormous respect each fan base has for its own coach, will work to tone down the level of hatred, but at the same time it's hard to see how it won't test the friendship of the two coaches over time.

At least we can be fairly confident that no matter how contentious it may get between the two schools, it is hard to imagine they will ever descend to the level of the Maryland fanbase.

Have been banned from a badger shaving brush forum, because of trolls.

Sorry to hear that. Shaving badgers is a tricky business under the best of circumstances. Selection of brush is critical, as it is important to calm and not irritate the badger as one prepares it for shaving. People tend to form strong opinions on the merits of particular brushes, and unfortunately can be intolerant of those with different views.

02-04-2014, 08:10 AM
Is this the sam SBD from the old espn boards? I hope so, really enjoyed some of your threads back then

killerleft
02-04-2014, 09:59 AM
"Nothing is decided until the ACC tournament is over."

A point the national media does not understand, and several local members conveniently forget. It was a great game. They won. They may win the unbalanced regular season title. ACC Championship is still to be determined.

As far as rivals...the loudest "BOOO" of every ACC tournament is when Duke takes the floor. I love it, and call it respect. Much different from when I was younger and UNC had this honor. Syracuse fans can join the rest of the ACC fan-bases in this respect. A rivalry may grow over time.

That's mostly boos from Cheater and Maryland fans.

SirBlueDevil
02-04-2014, 10:10 AM
It had been so long since i'd been on the message forum that when i finally decided to see how the board was doing, i felt old and out of place when i saw it was no longer in the spot i remembered.

Needless to say i then had to go about figuring out where to find all of the great knowledgeable and true blue...Duke fans!

Is this the sam SBD from the old espn boards? I hope so, really enjoyed some of your threads back then

BlueDevilBrowns
02-04-2014, 01:36 PM
My take on "The Changing of the Guard" is this:

The only changing of the guard that I see, is that Duke is now, and has been, clearly the Straw that stirs the Drink in the ACC, not UNC.

This began to change many years ago, especially after Dean Smith retired. Even when UNC was in it's 21st century "rebirth" of '05 - '09, Duke saw little slippage as the conference's most hated team. Now, post 2010, Duke is CLEARLY the #1 Brand in CBB and the ACC, with UNC and Syracuse battling for second spot on the "prestige" scale in the conference.

UNC could, and still tries, to hang it's hat on the past, most specifically, their past dominance of the ACC in the Dean Smith years', as if Duke's success is less valid because of recency bias. Think "Old Money" vs. "New Money" thought process. It's why IC'ers de-value the 3-Point-Shot as gimmicky but declare the Four Corners strategy of Smith as genius.

This is the reason why, IMO, UNC fans seem to hate the additions of 'Cuse and PITT so much. It further pushes them in the rearview mirror of teams(VT, BC, MIA, FSU) and fanbases that have no "respect" or knowledge of UNC's "storied past" that keeps getting further and further away from the present.

UNC is like the BackStreet Boys trying to get into an exclusive VIP club after seeing Jay-Z and Beyonce' get in. When the Bouncer tells them "Sorry fellas, only VIP's allowed", they pull the "Don't you know who we are?" card and then the Bouncer says - "No, actually I don't and I don't care. Peace out, bro".

UNC might not Want it That Way, but that's the way it is.