PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC - 2/3-2/9

pfrduke
02-02-2014, 11:25 PM
Another week, and 10 of the 15 teams in the conference remain outscored in conference play. Virginia, Syracuse, Duke, and Pitt continue to pace the league, with UNC swapping with FSU as the 5th team on the plus side. This week, there's not a single game among the top 5 teams, which means that the bottom of the league will have to start doing work if it wants to break through.

Monday Syracuse hosts Notre Dame. The Irish are familiar with the zone and have a history of success against the Orange, but this year they're challenged on the talent front.

[2]Syracuse hosts [89]Notre Dame (7, ESPN)

Tuesday is a triple header. Only Pitt and FSU had a worse week than the Deacs last week - they entered with a chance to take down Syracuse and get to 6-3, but they departed with back to back home losses and another season of irrelevance. It doesn't get easier from here - 4 of 5 on the road, including at Duke and Carolina. The first of those is the nightcap on Tuesday. Earlier in the evening, Carolina gets their final visit from the Terps (no return trip in the "no favors from the ACC" final season for Maryland), and Clemson looks to build some momentum at home.

[32]UNC hosts [64]Maryland (8, ESPN3)
[46]Clemson hosts [120]Georgia Tech (8, ESPN3)
[3]Duke hosts [102]Wake Forest (9, ESPNU)

Wednesday is another triple header. highlighted (and I use that term loosely) by Pitt traveling to Miami. The Panthers had a rough week, unable to hold home court against two of the ACC's top teams, getting stomped by Duke and getting nipped by UVA at the buzzer (notwithstanding the low scoring, quite a game. The entire thing was played in a 7 point window). In other action, Virginia and FSU host the conference's worst teams.

[78] Miami hosts [12]Pittsburgh (7, ESPN3)
[7]Virginia hosts [151]Boston College (7, ESPN2)
[23]Florida State hosts [219]Virginia Tech (9, ESPN3)

Thursday and Friday are dark.

Saturday has 6 games. UNC and FSU have semi-tough road games, headed to Notre Dame and Maryland, respectively. Duke also hits the road, traveling to Chestnut Hill. The nation's best offense takes on the ACC's worst defense - expect some points scored. Virginia and Pitt play bad teams, and Miami and State play a relatively meaningless game.

[12]Pittsburgh hosts [219]Virginia Tech (12, ESPN3)
[89]Notre Dame hosts [32]UNC (12, ESPN3)
[120]Georgia Tech hosts [7]Virginia (12, ESPN3)
[78]Miami hosts [86]NC State (2, ESPN3)
[64]Maryland hosts [27]Florida State (3, ESPN2)
[151]Boston College hosts [3]Duke (6, ESPN)

Sunday Syracuse hosts Clemson in a battle of orange. A poor offense - particularly a poor shooting offense - against the zone is not a recipe for an upset.

[2]Syracuse hosts [46]Clemson (6, ESPNU)

ACC Non-Conference Record: 139-53
ACC Record vs. BCS: 29-33

Olympic Fan
02-03-2014, 01:07 AM
Kind of a blah week -- not a single game matching one of the four best teams in the conference against each other. Kind of a letdown after Duke-Pitt, Duke-Syracuse and Virginia-Pitt last week.

I guess it's a pretty important week for FSU and UNC -- two bubble teams that need (and have a good chance to get) 2-0 weeks.

Pretty important that Duke take both winnable games this week heading into the trip to UNC next week.

SirBlueDevil
02-03-2014, 12:40 PM
What are the chances percentage wise that notre dame can knock off the newly crowned #1 cuse boys tonight on their home court?

(redacted)

DukeAlumBS
02-03-2014, 12:45 PM
What are the chances percentage wise that notre dame can knock off the newly crowned #1 cuse boys tonight on their home court?

ND has given Syracuse fits in the past. Going to be a good matchup.
Also Duke by 20 over Wake!
Nice day
Jimmy

SirBlueDevil
02-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Tend to agree DukeA not to mention Notre Dame is due for a big win since their win over our boys!

Olympic Fan
02-03-2014, 04:23 PM

(redacted)

Pomeroy gives Notre Dame just a six percent chance against 'Cuse in the Dome.

Notre Dame has given Syracuse fits in the past -- but almost always in South Bend (occasionally in MSG ... rarely in the Dome).

It's possible that Syracuse could have a hangover after winning the biggest game in their basketball history (at least, that's the way they seemed to see it).

Troublemaker
02-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Hmm, looked it up, and UNC is 7.5-pt favorites over the Terps tomorrow. I dunno about that. I see that being a very tight game that Maryland could win. Will be fun to flip back and forth between Duke-WFU 1st half and UNC-MD 2nd half tomorrow due to the one hour overlap between the two games.

pfrduke
02-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Hmm, looked it up, and UNC is 7.5-pt favorites over the Terps tomorrow. I dunno about that. I see that being a very tight game that Maryland could win. Will be fun to flip back and forth between Duke-WFU 1st half and UNC-MD 2nd half tomorrow due to the one hour overlap between the two games.

At Carolina that's probably right. They'd be a 2-3 point favorite on a neutral court. It will be interesting to see if UNC can rebound against Maryland - the Terps have been the best defensive rebounding team in conference play, but it's really the only thing they do well on defense. If the Heels negate that advantage, even an offense as average as UNC's should be able to score points against Maryland.

Here is a Turtle
02-04-2014, 12:32 PM
I'm extremely nervous about this game. while it's true that our defensive rebounding is good, my fear is that like last year, North Carolina's athleticism works to neutralize that advantage. On a neutral court, I'd give us a really good shot to pull out a win and stay in the top half in the ACC. But this has not demonstrated that it can win or even show up against tough competition on the road. I'm hoping this is the night that the other players will help out Dez Wells (who seems to always show up for games like this), but I'm less than optimistic after blowing the NC State game.

Kfanarmy
02-04-2014, 02:41 PM
two on the road, home for Wake, then two more on the road. Kinda tough scheduling.

Olympic Fan
02-04-2014, 03:04 PM
two on the road, home for Wake, then two more on the road. Kinda tough scheduling.

Almost everybody has a stretch like that -- Syracuse finishes the season with three on the road, home for Ga Tech, then on the road at FSU; NC State is currently in a stretch with two on the road, home for Wake and three more on the road (the first one at Syracuse); Clemson is also in the middle of a stretch with three on the road, home for Georgia Tech, then two more on the road; Wake just finished a stretch with two on the road, home to NC State, then two more on the road.

It's a tough stretch for the Devils, but after the UNC game, things pretty much break in our favor.

devildeac
02-04-2014, 07:24 PM
I'm going to have to hold my nose as I post this statement:

go terps

Disinfectant time.

vick
02-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Clemson-Georgia Tech managed to put up a combined 86 points (45-41) to match the combined score from the football game they played earlier this year (55-31). Ouch.

DukieInBrasil
02-08-2014, 01:40 PM
I must say that i am deeply disappointed in the resurgence of the Holes. They are fairly whoopin' up on ND in South Bend.
I still think Duke has a good chance of beating the Holes 2x this year (maybe 3 if we meet in the ACCT), but every game the Holes win, they gain confidence and the memory of how to win.
Who knows maybe ND will storm back and win, but it don't look too good nohow...

vick
02-08-2014, 02:03 PM
And UVa pulls away in the second half to win easily at Georgia Tech. At what point can we start talking seriously about Malcolm Brogdon as an ACC player of the year candidate? His raw stats in conference play are probably a little bit better than seeming frontrunner (as I've heard in the media) C. J. Fair, and he's done it in vastly more efficient fashion, for a now 10-1 team. And somehow all he can get is "playing at an all-ACC level?" I don't get it.

FerryFor50
02-08-2014, 02:26 PM
Pitt and VT in double OT... Eh?

arnie
02-08-2014, 02:27 PM
And UVa pulls away in the second half to win easily at Georgia Tech. At what point can we start talking seriously about Malcolm Brogdon as an ACC player of the year candidate? His raw stats in conference play are probably a little bit better than seeming frontrunner (as I've heard in the media) C. J. Fair, and he's done it in vastly more efficient fashion, for a now 10-1 team. And somehow all he can get is "playing at an all-ACC level?" I don't get it.

Vpi-Pitt as ugly as it gets. No baskets made in OT no 1. VPI has ball last at end of regulation and OT and never gets a shot off. Looks like Pitt will hit enough throws to win.

dukelifer
02-08-2014, 02:29 PM
I must say that i am deeply disappointed in the resurgence of the Holes. They are fairly whoopin' up on ND in South Bend.
I still think Duke has a good chance of beating the Holes 2x this year (maybe 3 if we meet in the ACCT), but every game the Holes win, they gain confidence and the memory of how to win.
Who knows maybe ND will storm back and win, but it don't look too good nohow...

The UNC game will be very tough. UNC's strength is inside. I am mostly worried about foul trouble. Duke will need to shoot very well to have a chance to win. UNC is right there with the top group, unfortunately.

arnie
02-08-2014, 02:36 PM
The UNC game will be very tough. UNC's strength is inside. I am mostly worried about foul trouble. Duke will need to shoot very well to have a chance to win. UNC is right there with the top group, unfortunately.

Absolutely a tough game on Wednesday. Heels should probably be favored by 1 or 2. VPI played two overtimes and with 11 seconds left in the 2nd ot has not scored a basket.

DukieInBrasil
02-08-2014, 04:22 PM
and State squeaks out a 1-pt win on the road in Miami! Excellent game from TJ Warren, with Cat Barber moved to the bench in favor of Lewis.
I'm too lazy to look up all the relevant info, but if State manages to get through conference play with a winning record (10-8), would they make the NCAAT? Could they at 9-9? I'd say they would be a good bubble team at 10-8, but would probably have their bubble burst at 9-9.