PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting: the Littles Get a Leg Up

greybeard
09-04-2007, 06:13 PM
So, when the Cornell game was announced, some folks here speculated, probably correctly, that the game had something to do with Paulus' coming from the Finger Lakes' Region, and K's interest in recruiting more in that area.

Some of you might recall that I pointed out that Cornell seemed to have taken that type recruiting strategy a step further. In LAX, Cornell played a game against the biggest sports school it has ever ever played, that would be Notre Dame, sorry boyz, last Sprng at a high school on LI where Cornell's star mid-fielder had gone to school.

I noticed that because, in another lifetime, I too had gone to that high school. Well, I was back in the hood, visiting family and enjoying what has to be the nicest beach on the East Coast, Atlantic Beach, and drove by the old high school. Saw some guys throwing a lacrosse ball around. Stopped and said, I just had to ask, you know, did it really happen. They said, "Yeah, they brought in lots of extra stands, which means maybe, at the outside a 1000 people." They also said that Cornell has committed to making this an annual thing.

So, seems that the littles have a card or two up their sleaves that the Dukes of the world just can't match. On the other hand, you do have those coeds.

NovaScotian
09-04-2007, 07:00 PM
out of curiosity what high school was it? im a strong island boy myself...

greybeard
09-06-2007, 11:02 AM
out of curiosity what high school was it? im a strong island boy myself...

Hewlett High School, which I believe is a relative newcomer to the world of LAX, but then again, so are most high schools all over the country. The guys working out the day I was there were from neighboring Lynbrook; they were very, very good and atheltic.

From reading Seibald's bio on the Cornell LAX board, when he was at Hewlett they won the LI championship or something.

Hewlett, btw, is on the South Shore, right near the border with Queens. It's only claim to fame in this here parts is Matt Laurence, who, believe it or not, was not a half bad ball player, or was that his brother. Could never tell them apart myself.