PDA

View Full Version : Duke Alum Adam Silver Replaces David Stern As NBA Commisioner

kAzE
02-01-2014, 02:18 PM
The reign of Stern has ended, and now there's a Dukie on the throne!

In all seriousness though, David Stern was the greatest commissioner in the history of American sports. He took the sport from the brink of irrelevancy and turned it into a global brand. During his 30 years as commish, Stern, added 7 new NBA franchises, increased league revenue 30-fold, launched the WNBA, and D-League, and was able to broadcast the NBA in 200+ countries worldwide in over 40 languages.

It's going to be a strange for many of us who have never known another basketball commissioner, but here's to hoping Silver brings some fresh ideas and continues to improve the sport.

Personally, I would love to see something done with the 1-and-done rule. Have it changed so that guys can enter the draft out of high school if they are ready. Guys like Lebron James don't need to waste their time in college if they are legitimate pros out of high school.

But at the same time, I'd love to see more talented guys stay in college as well. Maybe allow guys to be drafted, giving NBA teams the rights to a player, but allow them stay in college until they are ready to come out? They'd probably have to tweak some NCAA rules, but as long as they aren't getting paid, it shouldn't be a huge deal, right?

I'm not totally sure if any of that would really work, but I think anything that could help the college game right now would be great. The level of high-end talent in the NBA is getting better and better, and it would be nice to see more of that talent in college hoops.