PDA

View Full Version : 9pm EST Games 1/29

Dukehky
01-29-2014, 09:47 PM
A lot of pretty intriguing games going on right now, thought it would be nice to start a thread for anyone to post some thoughts on what's going on.

Iowa State vs. Kansas is turning into an absolute barn burner.

Syracuse at Wake is a game a lot of people think Cuse can lose

Arizona at Stanford, so far Johnny's team is putting up a fight.

These are not upset alerts since they're going on in the first half, just some fun games to watch.

Note: There's already an ACC game thread below, I know I included Wake Cuse but whatever. Also, Penn State beat OSU in Columbus, talk about an overrated team earlier in the season.

Newton_14
01-29-2014, 09:53 PM
A lot of pretty intriguing games going on right now, thought it would be nice to start a thread for anyone to post some thoughts on what's going on.

These are not upset alerts since they're going on in the first half, just some fun games to watch.

Note: There's already an ACC game thread below, I know I included Wake Cuse but whatever. Also, Penn State beat OSU in Columbus, talk about an overrated team earlier in the season.

I am watching State/FSU so any updates on the Kansas game and Wake/Cuse game are appreciated by me anyway...thanks

MCFinARL
01-29-2014, 09:53 PM

Stanford hanging in there despite some struggles scoring--down 2 with 2 to go in the first half.

Wake losing ground after a strong start.

In other news, Ohio State lost in overtime to Penn State--what on earth is going on there?

Dukehky
01-29-2014, 09:56 PM
Stanford hanging in there despite some struggles scoring--down 2 with 2 to go in the first half.

Wake losing ground after a strong start.

In other news, Ohio State lost in overtime to Penn State--what on earth is going on there?

Northwestern playing really strong at Wisconsin. Only down 1 at half.

MCFinARL
01-29-2014, 09:58 PM
And Stanford up 1 at half, after trailing by 1 or 2 for the last 10 minutes or so.

Kansas was killing Iowa State early (something like 26-10) but leads by only 3 at halftime.

Duvall
01-29-2014, 10:11 PM
I hope the nation's refs are happy when Fred Hoiberg bounces to the NBA, where corruption is the exception rather than the rule.

Henderson
01-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Jeez, Penn State over Ohio State in Columbus. Penn State was 10-10 coming into the game. And OSU was top 5 earlier in the season, beating MD by 16.

I know OSU has other woes, but Aaron Craft is really not a very good basketball player. 8 points, 2 rebounds, and 4 assists in 41 minutes tonight. Why was he ever hyped?

gam7
01-29-2014, 10:26 PM
Stanford up 5 at the under 16 timeout. And Walton color commentating. Described the Stanford crowd as "salivating." Love fest with Nastic. He loved identifying Brandon Ashley as having come from the Mission District of San Francisco.

OldPhiKap
01-29-2014, 10:29 PM
Stanford up 5 at the under 16 timeout. And Walton color commentating. Described the Stanford crowd as "salivating." Love fest with Nastic. He loved identifying Brandon Ashley as having come from the Mission District of San Francisco.

"Walking along in The Mission
In the rain . . . ."

Walton always in a SF state of mind

gam7
01-29-2014, 10:36 PM
"Walking along in The Mission
In the rain . . . ."

Walton always in a SF state of mind

Happened to be doing this very thing today! My profile pic - small though it is - is a pic of the Dead with Bobby wearing a Duke sweatshirt.

And Walton just referred to the Berghers of Callais.

Henderson
01-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Hang on Chris. NW up 10 with 5:15 to go at Wisconsin. Would be his biggest win.

OldPhiKap
01-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Happened to be doing this very thing today! My profile pic - small though it is - is a pic of the Dead with Bobby wearing a Duke sweatshirt.

"Just some satisfaction
In the San Francisco rain
No matter what comes down
The Mission always looks the same.
Come again . . . ."

I met Bill Wlaton backstage at a New Year's show years ago. To quote Bobby, he is "a truly tall individual."

sporthenry
01-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Hang on Chris. NW up 10 with 5:15 to go at Wisconsin. Would be his biggest win.

Crazy if Chris and Johnny have their best wins on the same night.

NashvilleDevil
01-29-2014, 10:50 PM
Stanford giving this game away right now. Arizona is a very unlikeable team this year.

ChrisP
01-29-2014, 10:54 PM
Since about the 7min mark, Stanford has missed at least 3 point blank shots. And now, they just bricked 2 ft's!!! Come on guys - settle down.

ChrisP
01-29-2014, 10:58 PM
Ugh, another brick inside. Maybe Stanford should try an outside shot? Can't really get worse

sporthenry
01-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Since about the 7min mark, Stanford has missed at least 3 point blank shots. And now, they just bricked 2 ft's!!! Come on guys - settle down.

And this is supposed to be an experienced team. All the main guys are juniors and seniors. In the past, experience might be an issue but Randle, Powell, and Huestis should be able to get a basket when they need to.

ChrisP
01-29-2014, 11:02 PM
Heustis just passed a wide open 3 and now Arizona hits one. Probably ball game :(

Dukehky
01-29-2014, 11:03 PM
Stanford giving this game away right now. Arizona is a very unlikeable team this year.

Fixed the quote because it was inadvertently dangerous.

Newton_14
01-29-2014, 11:04 PM
Meanwhile, NC State just played a really solid game despite injuries and foul trouble, and made enough plays down the stretch to hang on for a 4 point win 74-70. Tyler Lewis was key in the last 8 minutes with tons of assists. Warren fouled out with 30 despite playing 2 possessions in the final 8 minutes. Anya got hurt early and sat. Huge win for the Pack.

Welll played game by both teams too. Looked like old school ACC hoops for a change.

gam7
01-29-2014, 11:04 PM
Anyone else notice that everyone on Arizona looks alike? Especially in jerseys.

Are you familiar with how they look when they are not wearing jerseys?

Furniture
01-29-2014, 11:06 PM
And this is supposed to be an experienced team. All the main guys are juniors and seniors. In the past, experience might be an issue but Randle, Powell, and Huestis should be able to get a basket when they need to.

Several layups! They gave this gave away!

ChrisP
01-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Congrats to Chris Collins & Northwestern! Stanford should feel bad about this loss though - really giving the game away

brevity
01-29-2014, 11:10 PM
Anyone else notice that everyone on Arizona looks alike? Especially in jerseys.

Are you familiar with how they look when they are not wearing jerseys?

Maybe Dukehky meant road jerseys? I kind of see it. There's a sameness going on with their faces, almost as if they were created in a lab.

In the past we've wondered how a Duke team would do if it started 5 Grant Hills. Arizona may be answering that question, with its set of Tatiana Maslanys.

Acymetric
01-29-2014, 11:15 PM

Is there any good backstory to that pic or did he just happen to have a Duke shirt on when that was taken?

IBleedBlue
01-29-2014, 11:17 PM
Maybe Dukehky meant road jerseys? I kind of see it. There's a sameness going on with their faces, almost as if they were created in a lab.

In the past we've wondered how a Duke team would do if it started 5 Grant Hills. Arizona may be answering that question, with its set of Tatiana Maslanys.

I watched the last 4 minutes of AZ -Stanford game.
Couple of notes:
1. Arizona is very good defensively. Didn't give stanford any easy buckets in the last 4 minutes. Is it possible that this team goes unbeated until the NCAA tourney? PAC 12 doesnt seem very strong.
2. The commentators which included Bill Walton are heavily biased towards Arizona. When Stanford was down 3 with 1 minute to go, they were asking the question "If you were Arizona, what would you do?". Usually, at that juncture, the commentators ask "If you were Stanford, what is your game plan or what would you do?". They were slobbering over how good Arizona is defensively etc.

tommy
01-29-2014, 11:22 PM
Oh, Stanford was terrible down the stretch. One basket, I think, in the last 10 minutes, and numerous, numerous makable shots in the lane, and missed a good-look 3 to tie it late. Arizona coulda/shoulda been had tonight, but Stanford just wasn't good enough to do it. They really needed a signature win to add to their resume, which is looking pretty shaky right now. Danger for Johnny D. unfortunately.

But on the bright side, Walton was great as usual. My favorite was his commentary on the Palo Alto High School yearbook fotos first of Pigpen, and then Billy Kreutzman, the man who Walton accurately described as "driving that train." Awesome.

NashvilleDevil
01-29-2014, 11:24 PM
I thought the commentary was even. I watched most of the 2nd half and there was plenty of praise for Stanford. I do think unbeaten is a possibility for Arizona and that will make especially sweet when they lose in the Sweet 16. Just something about Miller and the players I do not like.

Furniture
01-29-2014, 11:28 PM
Couple of notes:
1. Arizona is very good defensively. Didn't give stanford any easy buckets in the last 4 minutes. Is it possible that this team goes unbeated until the NCAA tourney? PAC 12 doesnt seem very strong.
2. The commentators which included Bill Walton are heavily biased towards Arizona. When Stanford was down 3 with 1 minute to go, they were asking the question "If you were Arizona, what would you do?". Usually, at that juncture, the commentators ask "If you were Stanford, what is your game plan or what would you do?". They were slobbering over how good Arizona is defensively etc.

I watched quite a lot of the second half and maybe the Az D is good but missing a lot of shots doesn't help!
Stanford missed a lot..

basket1544
01-29-2014, 11:32 PM
I'm watching the Spurs and Bulls playing and you can hear the pride in Doug Collins' voice as he talks to the other announcer about Northwestern's win tonight.

sporthenry
01-29-2014, 11:38 PM
Couple of notes:

Arizona's D did turn it up but Stanford helped a lot. They missed quite a few lay ups. Also, their offense became stagnant which has been a problem in the past few years. I figured Randle/Powell would step up but that was missing. As Walton said, they stopped doing what got them their lead.

As for going undefeated, Kenpom had it at about 12% coming into tonight. I imagine that'll go up a bit but still not likely. On the surface, the Pac 12 has no other ranked teams but according to Kenpom, they are right behind the ACC. The Pac 12 is a much deeper conference so while they'll be favorites in the rest of their games, they will be tested in most games. Pac 12 might not have Duke/Cuse/UVA but they have a glut of borderline tournament teams.

And Walton will always draw allegations of favoritism b/c of Luke but I didn't find it that bad. Walton was very complimentary of Stanford's O when it took the lead but he is a straight shooter and pretty much called out Stanford's O. As for the last sequence, I've heard as many announcers bring up the foul up 3 then I've heard the other side. And with 11 seconds left, it becomes more about the defense.

gam7
01-29-2014, 11:39 PM
Is there any good backstory to that pic or did he just happen to have a Duke shirt on when that was taken?

I don't have a backstory (I didn't take the picture; I saw it in a book I was flipping through about the Grateful Dead and then found it online). But Brent Mydland is in the picture, so I suspect it was taken sometime shortly after the 1982 Grateful Dead show at Duke, which is probably where he got the shirt.

OldPhiKap
01-29-2014, 11:43 PM
I don't have a backstory (I didn't take the picture; I saw it in a book I was flipping through about the Grateful Dead and then found it online). But Brent Mydland is in the picture, so I suspect it was taken sometime shortly after the 1982 Grateful Dead show at Duke, which is probably where he got the shirt.

gam7
01-29-2014, 11:48 PM

Actually, I remember now. I took a picture of the picture I saw in the book. Interestingly, the one you posted is taken at the same time obviously, but they are standing in a different order and Brent is wearing the aviator hat/goggles in the one you found.