PDA

View Full Version : LAX: Week Zero Polls

burnspbesq
01-28-2014, 10:21 AM
The Duke men are number one in the first media poll, and number two in the coaches poll. Full results here.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/polls/DI (media poll)

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/news/2014/01/27/usila-di-coaches-poll-syracuse-top (coaches' poll)

The power of the ACC is fully reflected in both polls. Duke, Cuse, and Carolina comprise the top three in both polls. The lowest-ranked ACC team in the media poll is Virginia, at number eight.

On the women's side Duke is at number six in the first media poll. As on the men's side the top three teams are from the ACC (Carolina, Maryland, and Cuse). Six of the seven ACC schools are in the top 20; only VaTech is missing.

Duke's seasons begin on February 8 for the men (home vs. Jacksonville) and February 7 for the women (home vs. Elon).

Bob Green
01-28-2014, 10:35 AM
Duke's seasons begin on February 8 for the men (home vs. Jacksonville) ...

It isn't every year a team gets to defend a national championship! Exciting times for the Blue Devils.

Dev11
01-28-2014, 10:59 AM
After Jacksonville, the second game is against my other DU, Denver, on Feb 15. That should be a fun match. Duke lost to DU at Mile High a couple of years ago.

budwom
01-28-2014, 11:06 AM
I'm fully prepared for some early season losses. Danowski does a great job of exploring his roster and then building momentum at the right time of year.

MCFinARL
01-28-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm fully prepared for some early season losses. Danowski does a great job of exploring his roster and then building momentum at the right time of year.

Yes--and Duke's first six opponents include 4 ranked teams: #4 Denver, Penn (#15 media, #18 coaches), #6 Maryland, and Loyola (#16 media, #12 coaches), with the first two in Durham and the second two away.

johnb
01-28-2014, 01:02 PM
In the coaches poll, 6 of the top 7 teams are from the ACC. This is what we anticipated last year, and I assume this can't be a first, and it's only preseason, but has any conference ever been so dominant in a particular sport?

MCFinARL
01-28-2014, 01:13 PM
In the coaches poll, 6 of the top 7 teams are from the ACC. This is what we anticipated last year, and I assume this can't be a first, and it's only preseason, but has any conference ever been so dominant in a particular sport?

On the women's side, the ACC often dominates the top teams, though not always to this extent. This year in the women's final field hockey rankings, for example, ACC teams were 1-3, 5, 7, 10, and 12--although the team ranked 4th, UConn, went on to win the NCAA tournament.