PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Oklahoma 88, Oklahoma State 76

FerryFor50
01-27-2014, 10:57 PM
Think the rivalry between these schools is limited to the gridiron? Think again. These teams do not seem to like one another.

I've watched some of OSU's games and am not a fan of some of their players' attitudes. I think Marcus Smart is a little *too* competitive (like in a jackhole kind of way) and there's a lot of showboating by guys like LeBryan Nash. Dunno if anyone saw Smart in the WVU game, but he was playing borderline dirty ball in that one.

That said, Oklahoma is doing pretty ok against them. Worth a watch...

EDIT: Game is actually at Oklahoma

FerryFor50
01-27-2014, 11:13 PM
And Oklahoma wins. #23 knocks off #8. OSU was still fouling and calling timeouts down 11 with 16 seconds left, though. Lame.

Also, Smart hits a guy in the throat with an elbow while driving at the end of the game.... no flagrant?

Final score: 88-76

BEDLAM!!!

sporthenry
01-27-2014, 11:29 PM
And Oklahoma wins. #23 knocks off #8. OSU was still fouling and calling timeouts down 11 with 16 seconds left, though. Lame.

Also, Smart hits a guy in the throat with an elbow while driving at the end of the game.... no flagrant?

Final score: 88-76

BEDLAM!!!

Come on. The guy gout fouled and was falling. Looked completely like incidental contact to me. And if anything OSU got screwed by the refs. 29 fouls to 18. 42 FT's to 22. Clark fouled out with 12+ minutes. Nash wasn't really given a chance to play and even Smart was in foul trouble for most of the game.

FerryFor50
01-27-2014, 11:32 PM
Flagrant is defined as any contact by an elbow above the shoulders. I didn't say Smart did it on purpose. But by the letter of the law, and given the flagrant fouls I've seen called this season, it's a legit gripe.

sporthenry
01-27-2014, 11:49 PM
Flagrant is defined as any contact by an elbow above the shoulders. I didn't say Smart did it on purpose. But by the letter of the law, and given the flagrant fouls I've seen called this season, it's a legit gripe.

Pretty sure they changed the rule to give the refs more discretion and it now has to be excessive/unnecessary and swinging of the elbow.

Flagrant 1 personal foul. A flagrant 1 personal foul is a personal foul that
is deemed excessive in nature and/or unnecessary, but is not based solely
on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to:
1. Causing excessive contact with an opponent;
2. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player,
specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting;
3. Pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score;
4. Fouling a player clearly away from the ball who is not directly
involved with the play, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock
from starting; and
5. Contact with a player making a throw-in.
6. Illegal contact caused by swinging of an elbow which is deemed
excessive or unnecessary but does not rise to the level of a flagrant 2
personal foul (see Rule 4-18.7)

Art. 14. Illegal contact caused by the swinging of the elbow(s) that:
a. Results from total body movement is a common or flagrant 1 personal foul
b. Is excessive per Rule 4-18.7 is a flagrant 2 foul.
c. Occurs above or below the shoulders of an opponent is a common,
flagrant 1 or flagrant 2 personal foul.
Art. 15. Illegal (not incidental) contact with an elbow that does not involve the
swinging of the elbow shall be considered a foul.

FerryFor50
01-27-2014, 11:55 PM
Pretty sure they changed the rule to give the refs more discretion and it now has to be excessive/unnecessary and swinging of the elbow.

I thought that Smart's clear out of the player with his arm fell under "illegal contact caused by swinging of an elbow which is deemed excessive or unnecessary," but it's not really my call to make. :)

TexHawk
01-28-2014, 12:22 AM
I thought that Smart's clear out of the player with his arm fell under "illegal contact caused by swinging of an elbow which is deemed excessive or unnecessary," but it's not really my call to make. :)

Even more inconceivable to me, they called a foul on the guy he elbowed.

Interesting article on Smart (http://msn.foxsports.com/southwest/story/marcus-smart-is-developing-a-reputation-in-the-big-12-and-not-a-good-one-012014) and the rep he is building in the Big12.

JBDuke
01-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Even more inconceivable to me, they called a foul on the guy he elbowed.

Interesting article on Smart (http://msn.foxsports.com/southwest/story/marcus-smart-is-developing-a-reputation-in-the-big-12-and-not-a-good-one-012014) and the rep he is building in the Big12.

I do not think that word means what you think it means...