PDA

View Full Version : New movie trailer - Blind Ref

FerryFor50
01-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Starring Will Smith...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=466953896750319

No word yet if they shot any scenes in the Dean Dome during last night's Clemson game.

DesertDevil
01-27-2014, 10:36 AM
That was 2 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

flyingdutchdevil
01-27-2014, 10:39 AM

Actually, that's one of the better things that Will Smith has done in the last decade. I'd watch that 342 more times if I can get the 2 hours of 'After Earth' back.

FerryFor50
01-27-2014, 10:42 AM

Hey, I never claimed it was good... :D

Jarhead
01-27-2014, 11:37 AM
How close does this come to ridicule of an unfortunate condition?

Edouble
01-27-2014, 11:53 AM
How close does this come to ridicule of an unfortunate condition?

It is ridiculing an unfortunate condition.

It's the kind of thing where if I had a loved one who was blind, I would probably think it was pretty offensive. As it is, I just found it sort of unfunny. A blind guy walking into a rack of basketballs and knocking them over... yeah, good one. Hilarious.

g-money
01-27-2014, 12:03 PM
In my younger days, a few of my friends and I tried to get a website going that would essentially have been the "Youtube of bad and/or controversial officiating". The idea was to give fans of all sports a place to view blown calls and vent after a tough loss. This might sound mean-spirited, but the NBA, NCAA, and FIFA had some truly atrocious officiating back then. (Some would say that the NCAA and FIFA still do.) The name of the site would have been threeblindmice.com.

Alas, we quickly came to realize that the networks and sports leagues would sue the bejesus out of us.

FerryFor50
01-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Actually, that's one of the better things that Will Smith has done in the last decade. I'd watch that 342 more times if I can get the 2 hours of 'After Earth' back.

I Am Legend wasn't bad.

But yea, the "Blind Ref" thing was just a little exploitative of people with disabilities.

Kfanarmy
01-27-2014, 12:14 PM
There is humor everywhere in life, even in tragedy. Let's not look for reasons to be offended when looking for humor is so much more healthy.

Cameron
01-27-2014, 12:19 PM
I Am Legend wasn't bad.

But yea, the "Blind Ref" thing was just a little exploitative of people with disabilities.

Not the right forum for this, but agreed on I Am Legend. That was a great film. Seven Pounds and The Pursuit of Happyness were also excellent films starring Will Smith. The man is one of the more talented actors of his generation.

As for this mock movie trailer, underneath it all, there is a humorous commentary there on the absurdly poor officiating in many of today's sports (namely in the NFL this season). But, like others, I did feel some of it was in poor taste (i.e. the blind man running into the ball rack).

But Will Smith is great. One of my favorites.

FerryFor50
01-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Not the right forum for this, but agreed on I Am Legend. That was a great film. Seven Pounds and The Pursuit of Happyness were also excellent films starring Will Smith. The man is one of the more talented actors of his generation.

As for this mock movie trailer, underneath it all, there is a humorous commentary there on the absurdly poor officiating in many of today's sports (namely in the NFL this season). But, like others, I did feel some of it was in poor taste (i.e. the blind man running into the ball rack).

But Will Smith is great. One of my favorites.

Have not seen Seven Pounds or Pursuit of Happyness. Those have been on my list for some time. Agreed on Will Smith though... I think he gets a lot of criticism due to how much money he commands. Every actor does a stinker or two (or in Robert DeNiro's case lately, every movie he does).

flyingdutchdevil
01-27-2014, 12:53 PM
Have not seen Seven Pounds or Pursuit of Happyness. Those have been on my list for some time. Agreed on Will Smith though... I think he gets a lot of criticism due to how much money he commands. Every actor does a stinker or two (or in Robert DeNiro's case lately, every movie he does).

He gets a lot of criticism because of the way that he forces Hollywood to promote his kids. It's nepotism at it's worst. Pitt, Clooney, and Denzel make plenty of money, but they aren't scrutinized the same way.

For your reading pleasure:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-cohen/jaden-smith-and-why-celeb_b_3950056.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/02/will-smith-jaden-smith-after-earth-press-conference_n_3200339.html

Just type in "Jaden Smith Will Smith" in Google and you see why Will Smith gets such a bad rap. There is fatherhood, and then there is Will Smith-hood.

Cameron
01-27-2014, 01:19 PM
He gets a lot of criticism because of the way that he forces Hollywood to promote his kids. It's nepotism at it's worst. Pitt, Clooney, and Denzel make plenty of money, but they aren't scrutinized the same way.

For your reading pleasure:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-cohen/jaden-smith-and-why-celeb_b_3950056.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/02/will-smith-jaden-smith-after-earth-press-conference_n_3200339.html

Just type in "Jaden Smith Will Smith" in Google and you see why Will Smith gets such a bad rap. There is fatherhood, and then there is Will Smith-hood.

While I admittedly have never seen After Earth, that many people can't be wrong about it. Beyond M. Night Sham-o-lan ruining the production and overall vision of the film, it sounds as if it was a role that Jaden Smith's shoes were not big enough to fill. So maybe that's on Will Smith.

However, I did see Pursuit of Happyness and Jaden was excellent in that film in his supporting role as Smith's on-screen son. I think the kid has some acting chops, just not to the degree that his father may believe. And, as is the case with many child actors, sometimes kids lose their magic with age.

Do you not enjoy Will Smith, simply as an actor, at all? Forget about all the other stuff on the periphery, and I think we're discussing one of the ten greatest actors of his time. My opinion, of course.

-bdbd
01-27-2014, 01:57 PM
When I saw the thread title I assumed the discussion would be about Dick Paparo.

;)

moonpie23
01-27-2014, 02:29 PM
not really funny...

superdave
01-27-2014, 02:33 PM
Julia Louis-Dreyfus plays a lawyer in Arrested Development who pretends to be blind in order to get sympathy from the jury. It worked because it was actually funny.

FerryFor50
01-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Julia Louis-Dreyfus plays a lawyer in Arrested Development who pretends to be blind in order to get sympathy from the jury. It worked because it was actually funny.

Agreed. Because she was intentionally despicable. :)

Duvall
01-27-2014, 02:48 PM
He gets a lot of criticism because of the way that he forces Hollywood to promote his kids. It's nepotism at it's worst.

Pretty hyperbolic. There are more egregious and more pernicious examples of nepotism than a few vanity projects.

MartyClark
01-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Agreed. Because she was intentionally despicable. :)

In an oddly endearing way.

weezie
01-27-2014, 05:02 PM
When I saw the thread title I assumed the discussion would be about Dick Paparo.

Or Brian Kersey.

Can't say Karl Hess because he sees everyyyyyyyyyyything on and off the court and in the stands and near the popcorn maker.

devil84
01-27-2014, 09:37 PM

;)

Or Brian Kersey.

Can't say Karl Hess because he sees everyyyyyyyyyyything on and off the court and in the stands and near the popcorn maker.

Or Lenny Wirtz.

JBDuke
01-28-2014, 08:49 AM

You need to see "Silver Linings Playbook." De Niro still has it - he just doesn't get many chances to show it these days.

And, like devil84, I assumed the subtitle of this film was "The Lenny Wirtz Story".

FerryFor50
01-28-2014, 09:05 AM
You need to see "Silver Linings Playbook." De Niro still has it - he just doesn't get many chances to show it these days.

And, like devil84, I assumed the subtitle of this film was "The Lenny Wirtz Story".

I've seen it. It's pretty good. But DeNiro's downfall is his own doing - he chooses his roles and he continues to pick bad comedies, probably because he enjoys being funny.