PDA

View Full Version : Will Clemson MBB win at Chapel Hill in your lifetime?

throatybeard
01-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Choose an appropriate option.

bbosbbos
01-26-2014, 04:32 PM
Lifetime? Of course.

MulletMan
01-26-2014, 04:46 PM
Seems unlikely. I mean really...if not during the 8-20 season, then when?

throatybeard
01-26-2014, 04:50 PM
Seems unlikely. I mean really...if not during the 8-20 season, then when?

Clemson is much better now than they were then. Like UNC, they went 4-12 in the ACC that year.

CDu
01-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Assuming my lifetime is as long as I think it will be, I think the answer is yes. Clemson is getting better at college basketball. And the game of college basketball talent is diffusing across the country much more now, so the difference between UNC and Clemson is likely to only decrease as time goes on. We've already started to see the fragility of UNC's stranglehold as they have moved from Dean Smith to Guthridge to Doherty before Williams rejoined the team. What happens when Williams leaves, or hangs around into a serious decline phase? What happens when the influence of Michael Jordan is no longer a driving force?

It's going to happen. How soon? Don't know. Maybe tonight, probably not. But it is going to happen.

CameronBornAndBred
01-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Unless I get run over by a truck in the next 2 hours, yes.

CatDevil
01-26-2014, 06:05 PM
I am going with YES! I am only in my 40's which is now the new 30's, right? So Clemson will pull out a win...eventually

Go Duke! (And for Tonight, Go Clemson Tigers!!!)

Native
01-26-2014, 06:08 PM
I'm 21. It's gotta happen sometime...

CLW
01-26-2014, 06:09 PM
Sometime in my life I'm sure but probably when we least expect it and I doubt it ends today.

DukeHLM'13
01-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Nope, there's no way (and I'm only 23). After today there has to be just some kine of super-voodoo against Clemson that there is no way they can break.

hudlow
01-26-2014, 07:52 PM
I'm going out on a limb....

The streak will not reach triple digits.

roywhite
01-26-2014, 08:07 PM
Choose an appropriate option.

In view of today's result, the apparent futility of this quest, and hurleyfor3's closing words on that thread:

I started this disaster, so I'll be the one to kill it. Let us never speak of this again.
perhaps this calls for an addition to your handbook.

Something along the lines of:
That Streak Which Will Not Be Spoken Of, or TSWWNBSO?

I'll leave this to your judgment and linguistic expertise.

Cameron
01-26-2014, 08:13 PM
During 8 and 20, Carolina lost at home to Hampton and beat Binghamton there by one. Even in the midst of a down year themselves, if Clemson couldn't take down the Heels then, they might never.

As discussed by others here already, it certainly wasn't going to happen this season. If the Tigers ever do win there, they will sneak up on Carolina when least expected. The pressure was much too high this year, with so many predicting this to be the season the streak ends. I'd wager that a lot of people lost money tonight chasing that very thought. Those who have followed these two teams even if only casually over the years knew otherwise. This had blow-out written all over it.

Edouble
01-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Nope, there's no way (and I'm only 23). After today there has to be just some kine of super-voodoo against Clemson that there is no way they can break.

I hear that Brownell is recruiting Pedro Cerrano's kid.

BD80
01-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Would this include past losses that unc will forfeit for playing players whose eligibility was fraudulently maintained?

Dukehky
01-26-2014, 08:16 PM

They should have sacrificed a live chicken, or a bucket of chicken at the very least.

Edouble
01-26-2014, 08:17 PM
During 8 and 20, Carolina lost at home to Hampton and beat Binghamton there by one. Even in the midst of a down year themselves, if Clemson couldn't take down the Heels then, they might never.

As discussed by others here already, it certainly wasn't going to happen this season. If they ever do win there, they will sneak up on Carolina when least expected. The pressure was much too high this year, with so many predicting this to be the season the streak ends. I'd wager that a lot of people lost money tonight chasing that very thought. Those who have followed these two teams even if only casually over the years knew otherwise. This had blow-out written all over it.

Not to pick on you, Cameron, as a few people have suggested this... that the Tigers will sneak in a win when we least expect it.

I really don't see that happening. The longer the streak continues, the more the players and programs will be hyper-aware of the significant of a Clemson team going into Chapel Hill.

In other words, I believe this game has become unsneakable!

Cameron
01-26-2014, 08:22 PM
Not to pick on you, Cameron, as a few people have suggested this... that the Tigers will sneak in a win when we least expect it.

I really don't see that happening. The longer the streak continues, the more the players and programs will be hyper-aware of the significant of a Clemson team going into Chapel Hill.

In other words, I believe this game has become unsneakable!

I can certainly see where you are coming from and agree that "sneaking up on" probably is not the right phrase for what I am trying to convey. Basically, what I meant to say is that Clemson will almost surely never win in the Dean Dome during a year in which North Carolina is struggling as clearly as they are this season. Never. The pressure is already high enough for Clemson to finally break through and get a W there as it is, let alone during a season in which they are expected to at least have a decent chance of doing so.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-26-2014, 08:31 PM
For those of you who said, Yes, it has to happen in your lifetime... it's been 88 years already. 1926 was UNC's first home win against Clemson.

The Cubs will win the world series before Clemson wins at the dump.

Furniture
01-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Really? Soon there will be more threads about UNC on DBR than Duke BB.
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder?

throatybeard
01-26-2014, 09:05 PM
For those of you who said, Yes, it has to happen in your lifetime... it's been 88 years already. 1926 was UNC's first home win against Clemson.

1) Jokes aside, I don't think this is analogous. For the Cubs to win the WS, under the current format, they have to make the playoffs, and then win eleven games against the top competition in MLB that year.

For Clemson to beat UNC in Chapel Hill exactly once, they have to beat UNC in Chapel Hill exactly once.

2) People keep mentioning 2002, but Clemson wasn't any good that year. They went 4-12 in the ACC just as UNC did.

chaosmage
01-26-2014, 09:13 PM
I'm not sure it ever will. There are a confluence of factors, but tonight's game was... well. I was determined to see it through. The wife was curious. Around 3-5 minutes into the second half, the Holes PG brought the ball across half court. As the player started to move within his offense set, he put out a hand to "hand-check" the Clemson defender. The ref called a foul on Clemson.

Was it a mistake? Most likely. The refs didn't screw Clemson out of a win with 27 points. Any given day, and all that. But just that kind of luck seems to trail them. They couldn't BUY a basket.

Oh well.

Troublemaker
01-26-2014, 09:21 PM
lol, Clemson was so awful in Chapel Hill, their performance knocked Duke's KenPom ranking down from 9 to 11.

devildeac
01-26-2014, 09:29 PM

cbarry
01-26-2014, 09:30 PM
This is one streak in sports that will unfortunately NEVER EVER be broken. There is some sort of weird curse on Clemson in Chapel Hill. If Clemson were going to beat UNC in Chapel Hill, it would have happened by now.

Tonight, Clemson looked absolutely awful. They made UNC look much better than they are. Granted UNC is an up and down team this year, but Clemson couldn't do anything right. For a supposedly defensively oriented team, Clemson gave up more easy baskets than we did during our defensive lapse earlier this month.

I'm truly surprised that more people think the streak will be broken than won't. I guess many readers are much younger than I (40s). Still, I don't think it will happen in MY lifetime, nor my children's either.

CDu
01-26-2014, 09:45 PM

The first 60-70 of those years were in an era of basketball where all of the good players went to the best schools. So UNC had a monopoly on talent compared with Clemson. With the increase in media coverage and the increase in depth of quality players, that is simply no longer the case. The difference in talent is getting smaller - especially as we get further and further away from the iconic Smith and Jordan eras.

As a Cubs fan, I certainly hope you're right about the last sentence. And with Epstein and company on board it may very well prove true. But I would not be shocked if the opposite turns out to be true. Especially if Williams continues his recent slump in landing top-tier recruits and Brownell continues to build the Clemson program.

CDu
01-26-2014, 09:53 PM
1) Jokes aside, I don't think this is analogous. For the Cubs to win the WS, under the current format, they have to make the playoffs, and then win eleven games against the top competition in MLB that year.

For Clemson to beat UNC in Chapel Hill exactly once, they have to beat UNC in Chapel Hill exactly once.

2) People keep mentioning 2002, but Clemson wasn't any good that year. They went 4-12 in the ACC just as UNC did.

Troo. And it isn't like Clemson hasn't come REALLY close. They had a 9-point lead with under 3 to go in 2008 before allowing UNC to send it to overtime. Despite not hitting a free throw in 45 minutes (and only attempting 7 in 50 minutes), they were able to send it to a 2nd OT.

That Clemson team wasn't nearly as good as that UNC team (which made the Final Four). But it almost happened anyway.

As you said, it just takes one game. One game where UNC isn't on their game. One game where Clemson is on theirs. One game in the next 40 years or so? It will happen.

devildeac
01-26-2014, 10:13 PM
My wife just had me read a paragraph from wralsportsfan a moment ago. C!#%$)n went 18 minutes and 50 seconds, yes, almost half the basketball game with one FG. Here's the quote:

"The Tigers then went nearly an entire half-worth of basketball — 18 minutes, 50 seconds — with just one field goal. The Tigers missed 10 of 11 shots to close the half, then missed their first seven shots of the second half."

Pathetic. Unbelievable. Mind-boggling.

I'm going to go have my beer for the night. It'll be a bitter one because I just may be done rooting for cl*ms*n ever again after that abysmal showing. Maybe one of my children will see them win in chappaheeya. I'm not convinced I ever will.

Wander
01-26-2014, 11:19 PM
Don't discount conference expansion as a factor that might actually make throaty's question serious. The more teams we add, the fewer years there are when Clemson even gets a shot. Wouldn't it be typical for Clemson to have a darkhorse Final Four year while UNC falls apart and puts Roy in the dadgum Christmas spirit in the NIT... in a season when they don't play in Chapel Hill? A lesser version of this already happened in 2010.

And who knows - maybe Clemson and UNC won't even be in the same conference in 10 years.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-26-2014, 11:37 PM
I'm 21. It's gotta happen sometime...

I'm 73 and keeping the faith.
Love, Ima

oldnavy
01-27-2014, 06:20 AM
I had hopes that UNC would continue to play without confidence and that Clemson could put together a decent game.... boy was I wrong on both counts.

BD80
01-27-2014, 08:22 AM
"The Tigers then went nearly an entire half-worth of basketball — 18 minutes, 50 seconds — with just one field goal. The Tigers missed 10 of 11 shots to close the half, then missed their first seven shots of the second half."

They went 1 for 18 over a 19 minute stretch?

I hope there were some free throws in that period, because averaging just one shot per minute is pretty bad, particularly with 17 potential offensive rebounds for the taking.

The tarheels may read at a fourth grade level, but the Tigers played like fourth graders yesterday. (I apologize to the 4th graders who could have done better).

allenmurray
01-27-2014, 08:31 AM
I think this may be dependent on one's belief in reincarnation. If reincarnation is a type of afterlife, does that count as "in my lifetime"?.

plimnko
01-27-2014, 08:55 AM
where was the clemson team duke played?

CameronBornAndBred
01-27-2014, 09:14 AM
where was the clemson team duke played?
The teams that play Duke are often a totally different team when they play someone else. Clemson and ND are perfect examples.

77devil
01-27-2014, 09:22 AM

I think this may be dependent on one's belief in reincarnation. If reincarnation is a type of afterlife, does that count as "in my lifetime"?.

Fortunately the coffee was out of reach. It's just mind boggling we lost to Clemson, let alone by 13, even at Littlejohn.

I made a comment in chat during the Miami game that without the additions of Pitt and Syracuse the ACC was weak again this year. A regular wrote that Clemson would probably make the NCAA tournament-you know who you are. As I responded then, Clemson is bad and the fact it is 4-3 in conference play says more about the ACC unfortunately.

SupaDave
01-27-2014, 09:35 AM
If you just stop and think about all the teams that HAVE beat UNC over the years and the fact that Clemson has not, well that's all that really needs to be said. Yesterday easily set the Clemson fan base back a couple of decades.

ChillinDuke
01-27-2014, 09:38 AM
Fortunately the coffee was out of reach. It's just mind boggling we lost to Clemson, let alone by 13, even at Littlejohn.

I made a comment in chat during the Miami game that without the additions of Pitt and Syracuse the ACC was weak again this year. A regular wrote that Clemson would probably make the NCAA tournament-you know who you are. As I responded then, Clemson is bad and the fact it is 4-3 in conference play says more about the ACC unfortunately.

Maybe? I dunno. Define "bad".

They are #51 in KenPom (a site/metric which we seem to give quite a bit of credence around here) and #77 in the RPI.

Just a quick look at KenPom has Clemson ranked ahead of Missouri, Baylor, Marquette, Colorado, New Mexico, Indiana, and Georgetown. Heck, they beat us. Yeah they got stomped by UNC. But it's hard to convince me that Clemson is "bad".

- Chillin

77devil
01-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Maybe? I dunno. Define "bad".

They are #51 in KenPom (a site/metric which we seem to give quite a bit of credence around here) and #77 in the RPI.

Just a quick look at KenPom has Clemson ranked ahead of Missouri, Baylor, Marquette, Colorado, New Mexico, Indiana, and Georgetown. Heck, they beat us. Yeah they got stomped by UNC. But it's hard to convince me that Clemson is "bad".

- Chillin

I define bad as 1 for 18 over a 19 minute stretch. I define bad as one decent win (Arkansas) outside of Littlejohn. Clemson is almost always a tough out in Littlejohn for Duke and with Coach K dealing with his brother, I discount that one.

We've seen this story many times before. Clemson has a few statement wins at home and otherwise stinks up the gym. This year will be no different in my opinion. Time will tell.

left_hook_lacey
01-27-2014, 01:24 PM

Awesome. Maybe Jovu' can help?

Or maybe Clemson stole Jovu's rum?

DukieInKansas
01-27-2014, 02:48 PM
I went with not in the dadgum Christmas spirit. I refuse to believe it can't happen.

Perhaps it is really a conspiracy to keep The Streak from happening. Perhaps Klemnop from fulfilling his promised appearance on Franklin Street. :D

throatybeard
01-28-2014, 01:07 PM
I went with not in the dadgum Christmas spirit. I refuse to believe it can't happen.

Perhaps it is really a conspiracy to keep The Streak from happening. Perhaps Klemnop from fulfilling his promised appearance on Franklin Street. :D

I like the fact that taken together, "no" and "not in the dadgum Christmas spirit" outpoll "yes."

fidel
01-28-2014, 01:12 PM
The farther the dadgum Wheels get from Dean Smith the more likely the monkey will be removed. Seeing the Wheels record for the past 5 seasons does not give me faith that they are going to stay in the upper echelons.

jv001
01-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Life is a vapor, KJV. No promise of tomorrow. GoDuke!