PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at Pittsburgh Pregame and In-Game Thread (Monday 1900 EST, ESPN)

hurleyfor3
01-25-2014, 09:46 PM
Duke's first trip to the Oakland Zoo! Yay! I think.

Jarhead
01-25-2014, 10:18 PM
The radio broadcast team (http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-baskbl/mbbbroadcast.html) for the Panthers includes one of our people, Dick Groat. Even though he has been on the job at Pitt for several years, I can't help but wonder how he will be feeling Monday night. He is, very definitely, one of my favorite Duke basketball players ever. I can say the same thing for Duke baseball and his time in Major League Baseball. Has Duke ever played the Panthers?

roywhite
01-25-2014, 10:34 PM
One Pittsburgh columnist, Ron Cook of the Post Gazette, thinks pretty highly of Pitt's chances to win the ACC in their first year.

Panthers are ACC favorites ... seriously (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2014/01/22/Panthers-are-ACC-favorites-seriously/stories/201401220098)

Pitt's toughest remaining games are at home, where it is 192-22 with 14 consecutive wins. Duke (3-2 in the ACC) is here Monday night in the game everyone has wanted to see since news broke that Pitt was switching conferences. Virginia (5-1) comes in on Super Bowl Sunday. The rematch with Syracuse is Feb. 12 and should be much-anticipated. Florida State (4-2) plays here Feb. 23.

I don't see any of 'em winning at Petersen Events Center.

The schedule clearly favors Pitt. Syracuse also has to play at Duke and at Virginia. Duke has to play a second game against Syracuse at Syracuse. Virginia has that game at Pitt.

The ACC, clearly in a down year, is there for Pitt to take.

roywhite
01-25-2014, 10:39 PM
The radio broadcast team (http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-baskbl/mbbbroadcast.html) for the Panthers includes one of our people, Dick Groat. Even though he has been on the job at Pitt for several years, I can't help but wonder how he will be feeling Monday night. He is, very definitely, one of my favorite Duke basketball players ever. I can say the same thing for Duke baseball and his time in Major League Baseball. Has Duke ever played the Panthers?

According to the Duke media guide, the teams have played 12 times and the series is even at 6-6

Pittsburgh
Series tied 6-6
12/17/38 H L 37-51
2/3/41 H L 32-46
12/20/54 A W 90-68
12/20/55 A W 92-54
2/5/57 H W 90-72
12/21/57 (2OT) A L 84-87
1/31/59 H W 75-66
1/12/74 A L 46-62
12/27/74 N W 89-75
2/10/79 H L 69-71
1/26/80 A W 78-69
12/20/07 (OT) N L 64-65

Atlanta Duke
01-25-2014, 10:40 PM
No surprise Pitt fans are excited about this one

Tickets had sold on the secondary market for an average of $249 by Thursday, according to SeatGeek, a ticket resale website. The game long has been a sellout.

Prices have dropped since the start of ACC play and might continue to fall, SeatGeek analyst Connor Gregoire said, but so far, this is the most- expensive average Pitt basketball ticket on the secondary market since the company began tracking prices in 2009. The previous high was the $146 average resale price for Villanova-Pitt at The Pete on March 5, 2011.

http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/5469901-74/duke-game-average

FYI "The Pete" is the Peterson Events Center

Troublemaker
01-26-2014, 12:33 AM
This is going to a fun shootout. A high-level college basketball game that casual fans should enjoy as well. I love Pitt's offense. They move and pass the ball so well; it's beautiful to watch, but unfortunately, we're the opponent now. I would expect to get beat by a few backdoors in this game, hopefully limited to a few.

Lamar Patterson is a stud. An ACC POY candidate and currently KenPom's #2 National POY candidate, he's a wing that does it all. Beautiful shot that he can shoot from very deep behind the line, and he can drive and finish and draw fouls, and he can pass so well, leading his team in assists. Great player. I'm guessing Rodney's going to match up with him. Would be a good time for Rodney to notch a head-to-head win against a star SF.

throatybeard
01-26-2014, 02:15 AM
Duke's first trip to the Oakland Zoo! Yay! I think.

It hasn't been the same since they murdered all the trees.

Wait, my bad. That's Oakmont.

BD80
01-26-2014, 07:03 AM
It hasn't been the same since they murdered all the trees.

Wait, my bad. That's Oakmont.

Talk about a great defense! There just is no way to take it right at the hole without paying the price.

I've been called for more than a few flagrants at that venue.

dukelifer
01-26-2014, 07:11 AM

Duke played them when DeJuan Blair was a freshman. He had 20 rebounds in that game. Duke had a decent lead and then lost it and then the game in overtime.

MChambers
01-26-2014, 07:45 AM
I'd like Duke to get revenge for that very painful 1979 loss.

Bob Green
01-26-2014, 08:47 AM
This game will be a real test for Coach Krzyzewski's new deeper rotation philosophy. Pitt is a talented squad so Coach could revert to his standard of playing the most talented players the most minutes possible. Hopefully, he stays the course with the deeper rotation as it truly is a strength and should pay dividends for us down the stretch run in March/April.

Duke will be attempting to equal their longest winning streak of the season at five games, a mark which has been achieved twice this season. This one should be a real barnburner!

sagegrouse
01-26-2014, 09:06 AM
This game will be a real test for Coach Krzyzewski's new deeper rotation philosophy. Pitt is a talented squad so Coach could revert to his standard of playing the most talented players the most minutes possible. Hopefully, he stays the course with the deeper rotation as it truly is a strength and should pay dividends for us down the stretch run in March/April.

Duke will be attempting to equal their longest winning streak of the season at five games, a mark which has been achieved twice this season. This one should be a real barnburner!

Random thoughts -- just like normal.

Does anyone here think that Marshall has NOT earned a spot in the rotation, regardless of K's substitution policy? And BTW, even if he does nothing else in his career, he has a knockout highlight for his video at the hoops banquet his senior year. The catch-and-layup play is one of the prettiest I can remember at Duke.

The one place on earth I would NOT like to be is suited up for the FSU practice on Monday. Holy cow! A huge FSU team gives up 24 offensive rebounds to a shorter team and gets only one-half as many total rebounds. Kudos to Duke, but that shows a lack of effort by the Seminoles.

Matt Jones needs to step up to keep the two-platoon system alive. He had some poor offensive positions, where he played out of control; therefore, he got to watch a lot of the game from the bench.

"All Day Dre" scored 11 points in 11 minutes, losing a lot of playing time because of his lack of energy when FSU began to press -- and a Duke team that shot 30 percent needed his shooting touch. We will need his contribution Monday night and again on Saturday against Syracuse's zone defense.

I am impressed with Pitt but haven't studied them closely. I look for a tough game that will require a strong performance by the Devils.

Furniture
01-26-2014, 09:22 AM

Does anyone here think that Marshall has NOT earned a spot in the rotation, regardless of K's substitution policy?

Personally i think that if K reverted to his traditional game play system and non platoon style, Marshall's and Josh's minutes should swap. MP3 has earned more than 10mins per game from now on. There is just too much upside for the team!

NYBri
01-26-2014, 09:22 AM
Monday is going to test the team and the coach.

The team in that Pitt can score the basketball and we will need both the O and D to show up. 34% from the floor will not bring home a win every night.

The coach in that, as has been pointed out, he'll be tempted to resort to an 8 man rotation with a few less eating up most of the minutes.

But these are the games any successful team needs to win to be called champs.

moonpie23
01-26-2014, 09:32 AM
Maryland gave pitt everything they could handle yesterday………they really gave them trouble on a few of the full court presses towards the end of the game……MD also got burned on a few of them….

this was a physical game….i hope it wore pitt down a bit…Duke will need it's A game…..

Troublemaker
01-26-2014, 10:11 AM
I continue to not be worried that Coach K will revert. And actually, I'm not even that surprised with the current rotation. I kept saying this team would have "rotational mobility" whereby players outside the rotation could move into it. And I've also stated before that Matt Jones could be a starter and that MP3 could play 10-15 mpg. So, the past few games have been somewhat of a surprise (in that we're running 10 guys instead of 9 guys), but not shocking.

So, anyway, I seriously doubt Coach K will revert. And if he does, whatever he comes up with will also be successful. As I said elsewhere, his first priority is to win. If this rotation is what it takes to win, which seems to be the operating theory from the coaches, then this rotation will continue. In fact, Coach K should be a little bit insulted by all these concerns.

Atlanta Duke
01-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Mark Turgeon was impressed by Pitt

“I've been doing this a long time, 26 years as a head coach or assistant,” Mark Turgeon, Maryland's rather high-strung coach, began his news conference Saturday night after Pitt coolly, confidently took apart his Terrapins, 83-79, at Comcast Center. “And Pitt is one of the best college basketball teams I've ever coached against.”

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/5448257-74/dixon-coach-pitt#axzz2rTRQJBPy

Ever?:confused:

Furniture
01-26-2014, 10:22 AM
I continue to not be worried that Coach K will revert. And actually, I'm not even that surprised with the current rotation. I kept saying this team would have "rotational mobility" whereby players outside the rotation could move into it. And I've also stated before that Matt Jones could be a starter and that MP3 could play 10-15 mpg. So, the past few games have been somewhat of a surprise (in that we're running 10 guys instead of 9 guys), but not shocking.

So, anyway, I seriously doubt Coach K will revert. And if he does, whatever he comes up with will also be successful. As I said elsewhere, his first priority is to win. If this rotation is what it takes to win, which seems to be the operating theory from the coaches, then this rotation will continue. In fact, Coach K should be a little bit insulted by all these concerns.

I agree. I don't have as much experience as many here with K basketball but doesn't he normally have to lose to change something up?

dukelifer
01-26-2014, 10:43 AM

Does anyone here think that Marshall has NOT earned a spot in the rotation, regardless of K's substitution policy? And BTW, even if he does nothing else in his career, he has a knockout highlight for his video at the hoops banquet his senior year. The catch-and-layup play is one of the prettiest I can remember at Duke.

The one place on earth I would NOT like to be is suited up for the FSU practice on Monday. Holy cow! A huge FSU team gives up 24 offensive rebounds to a shorter team and gets only one-half as many total rebounds. Kudos to Duke, but that shows a lack of effort by the Seminoles.

Matt Jones needs to step up to keep the two-platoon system alive. He had some poor offensive positions, where he played out of control; therefore, he got to watch a lot of the game from the bench.

"All Day Dre" scored 11 points in 11 minutes, losing a lot of playing time because of his lack of energy when FSU began to press -- and a Duke team that shot 30 percent needed his shooting touch. We will need his contribution Monday night and again on Saturday against Syracuse's zone defense.

I am impressed with Pitt but haven't studied them closely. I look for a tough game that will require a strong performance by the Devils.

I watched Pitt a couple of times. They are physical and understand their strengths. They will be a very tough test. They will get energy from their crowd. Duke will need to fight in this one or they will lose. Big test for sure. Need a big game from Sheed or Amile.

roywhite
01-26-2014, 10:55 AM
Mostly sounds like the Pittsburgh sportswriters are going a bit overboard with Pitt's early success.

From the article that Atlanta Duke posted:

after Pitt coolly, confidently took apart his Terrapins, 83-79, at Comcast Center

A 4-pt victory is coolly, confidently, "taking apart" the opponents?

Pitt might not be the better team in March. Hey, they might not be the better team on Monday. But they've been better to date.

Well, that's debatable, based on Pitt's weak out-of-conference schedule and the way Duke has played the last three games. Maybe Pitt will hang a banner for a second place position in the league after 1/3 of a season?

OK, since no one else will say it: I can't wait.... This is Coach K walking the Pete hardwood. This is Patterson, the ACC's best current player, against Parker, the one with the best potential. This is Pitt not only entering the ACC but also doing so with a peak. This, I'm betting, will be one of the best basketball environments our city has experienced.

Dixon's final two words regarding Duke might have been his most revealing: “We're ready.”

Better believe it.

Okay, be careful what you wish for, Pitt.

Dev11
01-26-2014, 11:51 AM
I agree. I don't have as much experience as many here with K basketball but doesn't he normally have to lose to change something up?

In 2010, Duke won its February game in Chapel Hill, and then K inserted Zoubek into the starting lineup beginning with the next game, home against Maryland. Zoubek responded with a huge double-double highlighted by a put-back dunk that was about as expected as the Spanish Inquisition. Duke proceeded to lose one game the rest of the season.

So yeah, K is just fine making key adjustments after wins. We shall see.

Dukehky
01-26-2014, 12:56 PM
Come get the hurt Pitt. Earlier in the season i was concerned with the team's fight, I'm not anymore. If Pitt wants a war, that's what they're going to get.

Olympic Fan
01-26-2014, 01:43 PM
I can understand the optimism in Pittsburgh ... I agree that they do have the easiest schedule remaining. If they can take care of Duke, Syracuse and Virginia at home, they have a great chance to win the regular season title ...

... although somebody should remind the Pitt enthusiasts that the ACC title is -- and always has been -- decided in the conference tournament.

Still, the Duke-Pitt matchup is interesting, not just for the regular season title implications. Now that Duke has regained its mojo, it's a fascinating matchup. Just a few observations:

1. Duke (16-4) is still rated slightly higher in the human polls than Pitt (18-2). That could change before gametime Monday. Pitt is ranked slightly higher in the geek polls -- Pomeroy has them at No. 5 (with Duke No. 9) and the RPI has them at No. 12 (with Duke No. 16).

2. Pomeroy gives Pitt a 71 percent change of winning ... His projections suggest how easy their schedule is the rest of the way -- their toughest game is with Syracuse at home and they have a 64 percent chance in that one. Although they are favored in every remaining game, he projects them at 15-3 in the ACC.

3. Pitt does not have a top 50 win -- they are 0-2 against their two top 50 foes so far, but both losses (at Syracuse and Cincinnati ion a neutral court) were close games ... in fact, they choked away the Cincy game. Again, shows how easy their schedule has been.

4. Pitt and Duke are amazing close in the ACC stats. Going into Saturday's game they were very close in FG percentage. FT percentage, turnover margin and 3pt FG defense. Duke has an edge in 3-pt shooting, but Pitt leads big in FG percentage defense and in rebounding margin (they are No. 1 in the ACC ... Duke was No. No. 12 before the FSU game).

5. I was worried about the short turnaround, but I think the way Saturday's game turned out will help. Tension creates fatigue more than anything. Having an easy one Saturday (and early Saturday) should make for a fairly freshman team Monday night. Pitt had a much tougher game on the road Saturday (and a late Saturday game at that).

Now I like the schedule -- Monday night's game is fair ... and no matter what happens then, we'll get five days to prepare for the trip to Syracuse.

Henderson
01-26-2014, 02:04 PM
I'd like Duke to get revenge for that very painful 1979 loss.

Ugh. I was there. We couldn't stop Clancy. I still remember when the buzzer sounded, the Pitt players jumped around the court in Cameron hugging each other like they had just won a natty while the Duke fans watched, numb and silent.

Interesting Factoid: Sam Clancy played both professional football and professional basketball in the U.S.

Troublemaker
01-26-2014, 02:16 PM
Looking forward to seeing how Amile/MP3 fares against Talib Zanna as well.

Zanna probably carries the "ACC's Best Center" title belt. He outplayed GaTech's Miller head-to-head, putting up 22/9 to Miller's 12/4, and Zanna put up 12/11 against Syracuse's frontline (with Christmas coming closest to matching him with a 10/4). I'm a big fan of Amile but I have no idea what to expect here. I could see Amile holding his own, I could see Zanna winning decisively. When Marshall is in the game, he needs to keep his feet against Zanna, who will be outsized standing at only 6'9" 230 but is crafty enough with post moves to fake Marshall off his feet if Marshall is overly excited. Zanna has a pretty good mid-range jumper also, so it's not necessarily back-to-basket where he can hurt Duke. He can hit the midrange and he can drive if the midrange is respected. Very good hands to catch in transition as well. Tough matchup.

Troublemaker
01-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Lamar Patterson is a stud. An ACC POY candidate and currently KenPom's #2 National POY candidate, he's a wing that does it all. Beautiful shot that he can shoot from very deep behind the line, and he can drive and finish and draw fouls, and he can pass so well, leading his team in assists. Great player. I'm guessing Rodney's going to match up with him. Would be a good time for Rodney to notch a head-to-head win against a star SF.

WRT to Lamar Patterson, it's also possible Coach K tries to guard him using Jones and Thornton, who would both attempt to fiercely deny him the ball. Rodney would then guard the 2, Cameron Wright.

RoyalBlue08
01-26-2014, 02:26 PM
With all due respect to Cuse, I think this game represents the toughest challenge of the ACC schedule for Duke. When you consider the toughness and rebounding of Pitt, how well coached they are and how well they move and take care of the ball on offense, and the tremendous historical advantage they have had in their building I think it adds up to the game Duke is least likely to win on paper. (I'm not sure Syracuse has quite the same level of home court advantage and I know their zone can stretch to cover shooters, but I still think the way we can spread the court and shoot from multiple positions makes us a tough matchup for them.) I am really looking forward to seeing how the team responds. I think this will be a great barometer to see how far the teams has progressed.

Troublemaker
01-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Pitt has opened as 3.5-pt favorites, fyi.

According to kenpom, Pitt has the 7th-best assist-to-FG pct in the country. An indication of how well they pass the ball. Like I said, watch the backdoor.

Billy Dat
01-26-2014, 02:41 PM
As far as our Final Four/Title hopes, I view this game as a must win. I know it's not, but it feels like about time we got a real statement win on the board. The team has shaken off the early season "getting to know each other" dust and have their coach back in focus. We have looked like a different team over the past 3 games. It's time to keep building, not take a step back!!!!!!

MChambers
01-26-2014, 02:57 PM
1. Duke (16-4) is still rated slightly higher in the human polls than Pitt (18-2). That could change before gametime Monday. Pitt is ranked slightly higher in the geek polls -- Pomeroy has them at No. 5 (with Duke No. 9) and the RPI has them at No. 12 (with Duke No. 16).
Actually, we are higher in the other major geek poll, Sagarin, especially in the Predictor, with us all the way up to #4 in that category and Pitt at #14 (and Syracuse #17).

Henderson
01-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Coach K had an interesting comment during his presser yesterday. Something to the effect that rankings that include stats from November are meaningless; the only thing that matters is how a team has played in its last 4-6 games.

Turk
01-26-2014, 03:34 PM
I saw Pitt vs. Cincy at MSG back in November; it was a brickfest and Pitt should have won (missed free throws down the stretch; Cincy scored on a tip-in after a rebound free for all with less than 10 seconds).

Clearly Pitt is playing much better since then, and the Oakland Zoo will be rocking. Patterson is the guy to stop; Zanna is a good rebounder but I think Duke should be able neutralize him with Amile and Jabari and maybe even a bit of Marshall.

I wish I could have watch the Pitt-Syracuse game - that was clearly Pitt's best opponent all season. I'm going to say (hope I'm wrong) that Pitt's home court advantage will be too much to overcome.

NYBri
01-26-2014, 06:43 PM
This should be an absolutely great game that will tell tons about the teams and where they are headed.

My money is on the good guys by double digits leaving the Pittsters shaking their heads.

:)

Troublemaker
01-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Double digits? I see it more as a very close, possibly down-to-the-wire game. Both offenses will have their way, and if Pitt decides to play at our pace, it could get very entertaining. Nerve-racking but entertaining. It'll be a great experience either way. Maybe Jabari or Rodney will get a chance to hit a game-winning shot in this one.

Cameron
01-26-2014, 10:56 PM
A 4-pt victory is coolly, confidently, "taking apart" the opponents?

Agreed that referring to a four-point victory as "calmly and cooly" putting away a team is ridiculous. To Pitt's defense, however, they dominated Maryland for much of the second half, leading by double figures most of the way and possessing a 10-point advantage with less than two minutes remaining. Over the last two minutes, though, the Panthers played way too "cooly," acting as if they already had the game won and were ready to board the bus. As Maryland is all too familiar, no game is over until it's over and it kept plugging away. But, for the most part, the game was never in doubt. Pitt was on auto pilot.

Tomorrow night the Oakland Zoo will present one of our toughest "non-conference" road games in years (obviously, Pitt is in the ACC, but it still feels like a non-conference game. The game will have a very weird feel to it). Our reward if we survive with a victory? Once against our toughest road game of the season at Syracuse. Damn. Rough week. A split here would be phenomenal, and do wonders for our confidence moving ahead.

throatybeard
01-27-2014, 12:48 AM
If we win, I move that Dick Groat has to spend every last minute of his retirement replanting trees on Oakmont.

Edouble
01-27-2014, 02:48 AM
As far as our Final Four/Title hopes, I view this game as a must win. I know it's not, but it feels like about time we got a real statement win on the board. The team has shaken off the early season "getting to know each other" dust and have their coach back in focus. We have looked like a different team over the past 3 games. It's time to keep building, not take a step back!!!!!!

I have no idea what a tough January road game has to do with making the Final Four (see: at Georgetown, 2010), but I agree that it's time to start taking names.

We're riding a pretty high wave of momentum right now. I would be surprised to see us leave town without a win.

jv001
01-27-2014, 07:30 AM
If we win, I move that Dick Groat has to spend every last minute of his retirement replanting trees on Oakmont.

What's not to love about Dick Groat. All American guard and baseball player at Duke. Then plays on World Series championship team with my St. Louis Cardinals. I love the guy. GoDuke and GoRedbirds!

peterjswift
01-27-2014, 09:26 AM
The last time Duke played Pitt was at MSG just before Christmas in 2007. It was a tough loss in overtime. Mrs. peterjswift and I both went to that game, and as tough as it was to see Duke lose, I tried to spin the loss by remarking how rare it is to get the opportunity to see Duke lose (many, many people get to see Duke win! not nearly as many get to see them lose...especially in overtime). I enjoy Pitt basketball, ever since a star player at my high school (Chevy Troutman) played there, and I think Jamie Dixon is a great coach that has historically taken recruits overlooked by bigger school and turned them into monster players.

They always play very physically, and I would expect both teams to get into the bonus pretty early, so free throw shooting should play a big role in this game. They aren't as dependent on scoring from 3pt range as Duke.

Pitt shoots 72% from the line for the season (duke has a slight edge at 75%). They have four players that shoot 80% or higher from the stripe (Duke has 5).
They are also a fairly deep team - no one plays more than 30 minutes, and only four players even get close to that mark. Their bench is 9 players deep. Duke, recently has been playing a fairly deep bench, so I don't think either team is likely to run out of fresh bodies...in addition, they will not be as likely to be overcome by superior fitness...and Duke is playing with only a day of rest between games.
About 20% of their points come from the 3 point line, whereas nearly a third of Duke points come from the three.

Coincidentally, both Duke and Pitt have scored the exact same amount of points this season from the free throw line.

If you look at the season stats so far for both teams, they're both quite similar. Rebounds, steals, blocks, turnovers...even FG% is pretty close (slight edge to Pitt). Duke scores more points per game, but not by a ton. The big difference is the 3-pt shot. Duke shoots (and makes) a lot more three pointers than Pitt.

I expect a physical game where Pitt will attack the paint frequently. If Duke can keep up their ferocity on the glass, and maintain their 3pt% average, Duke can excel in this game.

Beware of Lamar Patterson. Not only is he a stud, but he got snubbed by the Wooden awards over the weekend. Expect him to play with a big chip on his shoulder!

Dev11
01-27-2014, 09:38 AM
Beware of Lamar Patterson. Not only is he a stud, but he got snubbed by the Wooden awards over the weekend. Expect him to play with a big chip on his shoulder!

I hope for the sake of his own psyche that Lamar Patterson doesn't need a mid-season Wooden watch list snub as motivation for playing well in Pitt's first conference game against Duke, but hey, we'll see.

MChambers
01-27-2014, 09:45 AM
They always play very physically, and I would expect both teams to get into the bonus pretty early, so free throw shooting should play a big role in this game. They aren't as dependent on scoring from 3pt range as Duke.

Pitt shoots 72% from the line for the season (duke has a slight edge at 75%). They have four players that shoot 80% or higher from the stripe (Duke has 5).
They are also a fairly deep team - no one plays more than 30 minutes, and only four players even get close to that mark. Their bench is 9 players deep. Duke, recently has been playing a fairly deep bench, so I don't think either team is likely to run out of fresh bodies...in addition, they will not be as likely to be overcome by superior fitness...and Duke is playing with only a day of rest between games.
About 20% of their points come from the 3 point line, whereas nearly a third of Duke points come from the three.

Coincidentally, both Duke and Pitt have scored the exact same amount of points this season from the free throw line.

If you look at the season stats so far for both teams, they're both quite similar. Rebounds, steals, blocks, turnovers...even FG% is pretty close (slight edge to Pitt). Duke scores more points per game, but not by a ton. The big difference is the 3-pt shot. Duke shoots (and makes) a lot more three pointers than Pitt.

I expect a physical game where Pitt will attack the paint frequently. If Duke can keep up their ferocity on the glass, and maintain their 3pt% average, Duke can excel in this game.
All of these stats are very interesting. One key difference: Pitt hasn't played a very tough schedule thus far. Duke has played a much better schedule. I'm hoping that helps us tonight.

grad_devil
01-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Just watched "he of the marker/tie coordination" on ESPN this morning commenting on Duke and the upcoming Pitt match-up.

He actually had some insightful things to say, especially how Duke is playing different over the past 4-5 games and mentioned the different substitutions patterns/etc.

The one thing he did mention that I found interesting? Our fab freshman: Bajari Parker. I wonder if Bajari is a 5? Maybe we could move Jabari from the 5 spot in crunch time, and let Bajari handle the defense down low. Of course, this comes at a cost of minutes to Amilie and MP3.

Sheesh. It's not like Jabari isn't a household name this year, as much as ESPN focuses on the freshmen around the country.

Bluedog
01-27-2014, 10:02 AM
Pitt has opened as 3.5-pt favorites, fyi.

According to kenpom, Pitt has the 7th-best assist-to-FG pct in the country. An indication of how well they pass the ball. Like I said, watch the backdoor.

Spread is now at 4 with Pitt being favored. Kenpom has it as a 6-point Pitt victory with Duke having a 30% chance of winning. Should be a battle - home court is also huge. Kenpom has us losing by 6 @ Syracuse, but beating them by 2 at home, so looks like home vs. away is around a whopping 8 point differential.

peterjswift
01-27-2014, 10:18 AM
All of these stats are very interesting. One key difference: Pitt hasn't played a very tough schedule thus far. Duke has played a much better schedule. I'm hoping that helps us tonight.

I agree. My concern would be the quick turnaround favors Pitt. One day of rest after playing a big FSU team that played very aggressive defense isn't a lot. Still - I like the scheduling, prepares the team for the NCAA.

Also - Oakland Zoo is definitely a zoo. Will probably be the most hostile road environment that Duke plays in this year. It is loud and crazy there.

I also want to point out (and I don't have stats to back this up, so if I'm wrong, sorry), Pitt always seems to under perform its seeding in the NCAA tourney and the Big East Tourney. Every year they are the one that I think could compete with anyone based on their resume...and they go all "Gonzaga" on me.

Kedsy
01-27-2014, 10:21 AM
I agree. My concern would be the quick turnaround favors Pitt. One day of rest after playing a big FSU team that played very aggressive defense isn't a lot.

Well, Pitt played Saturday, too. Actually 6 hours after we did, and they played a tougher game. Unless you're saying they're in better shape than we are, or that playing at home negates the quick turnaround, I don't see how Pitt benefits from it.

flyingdutchdevil
01-27-2014, 10:21 AM
I agree. My concern would be the quick turnaround favors Pitt. One day of rest after playing a big FSU team that played very aggressive defense isn't a lot. Still - I like the scheduling, prepares the team for the NCAA.

Also - Oakland Zoo is definitely a zoo. Will probably be the most hostile road environment that Duke plays in this year. It is loud and crazy there.

I also want to point out (and I don't have stats to back this up, so if I'm wrong, sorry), Pitt always seems to under perform its seeding in the NCAA tourney and the Big East Tourney. Every year they are the one that I think could compete with anyone based on their resume...and they go all "Gonzaga" on me.

Or "Wisconsin".

Pitt this year looks different. They have an excellent combination of solid defense and solid offense. Team's need to be at their best to execute.

This is an ideal game for Focused Quinn Cook to make an appearance for 30 solid minutes. Hero Quinn Cook or Complacent Quinn Cook will not suffice.

peterjswift
01-27-2014, 10:25 AM
I hope for the sake of his own psyche that Lamar Patterson doesn't need a mid-season Wooden watch list snub as motivation for playing well in Pitt's first conference game against Duke, but hey, we'll see.

I'm sure he has enough motivation already, but considering this is a 7PM game on ESPN, and he has an opportunity to play against Duke with the world watching and an opportunity to not only prove them wrong, but prove his point against Hood and Parker, I can definitely imagine him playing with an extra level of intensity.

Snub or no, we need to watch out for him. Duke has done really well this year at shutting down the star players of opposing teams. Even Wiggins, despite coming on strong at the end, was essentially shut down by Duke for 3/4 of a game. I hope K has a similar plan for Patterson (he can have all the success he wants the rest of the season...just not tonight).

I really like Pitt basketball and what Jamie Dixon has done for the program, and I love that they're in the ACC now...and I will cheer for them most nights, but not tonight.

roywhite
01-27-2014, 10:27 AM

Pitt this year looks different. They have an excellent combination of solid defense and solid offense. Team's need to be at their best to execute.

Count me as a bit of a skeptic on Pitt. One reason they frequently seem to have a great record is their easy out-of-conference schedule and this year has been no different. Those that vote in the rankings have been cautious about placing them too high, perhaps based on previous such starts and schedule strength. And they definitely have not come through in NCAA tournament play.

Certainly possible for Pitt to come out on top, but I like Duke's chances to win by 8 to 10 points.

peterjswift
01-27-2014, 10:27 AM
Well, Pitt played Saturday, too. Actually 6 hours after we did, and they played a tougher game. Unless you're saying they're in better shape than we are, or that playing at home negates the quick turnaround, I don't see how Pitt benefits from it.

Sorry - I should have been more specific. They did play a tough game, but their home court advantage is big...and they don't have to travel at all (and the trip back from MD is not too far). I haven't watched them enough to know if they're in better shape than Duke or not. I've just noticed that in many games, Duke seems to have superior conditioning and their ability to wear down a team on the ropes in the second half is great. I just don't see that as an advantage in this game...even if they are better conditioned than Pitt.

peterjswift
01-27-2014, 10:29 AM
Count me as a bit of a skeptic on Pitt. One reason they frequently seem to have a great record is their easy out-of-conference schedule and this year has been no different. Those that vote in the rankings have been cautious about placing them too high, perhaps based on previous such starts and schedule strength. And they definitely have not come through in NCAA tournament play.

I wish I was more of a skeptic on Pitt....but I'm with flyingdutchdevil and I think: "this year Pitt looks different."

Of course, I think I've said that every year for the last 8 or 9 years...

What's the definition of insanity again?

flyingdutchdevil
01-27-2014, 10:32 AM

Certainly possible for Pitt to come out on top, but I like Duke's chances to win by 8 to 10 points.

I hope you're right, but I see as one of our main hurdles to winning the ACC. Pitt is the kind of team that often gives Duke fits: physical, good at D, a few (or plenty) of easy buckets. Kind of like FSU but with better talent. Plus they are experienced.

I am in the KenPom camp - I see Pitt as a huge challenge and one of the better teams in the country, regardless of their easy SOS. Wichita St, on the other hand, I am not sold on at all.

Troublemaker
01-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Quotes from Marshall in Laura Keeley's latest article on his progress (http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/01/26/3567213/marshall-plumlee-finding-his-niche.html):

“I’m a guy that can bring us some physicality and energy off the bench,” Plumlee said when asked to describe his role. “And obviously my size. If I do my part and work hard, I feel like I can compliment a lot of the really talented players we have.”

“It’s still a transition form getting back to playing healthy and getting back to the level of athleticism you had before the injury,” Plumlee said. “It’s been a longer process than I anticipated. I just make sure I’m taking a step forward every day and I’m not taking any steps back. Our training staff is doing a great job of helping me with that.

Keep working hard, young man! So glad to see that things are starting to come together for MP3. This team needs him to get back physically to the point where Coach K was calling him a 6th man on last season's team. I think his performance against FSU was a flash of that 6th man.

Troublemaker
01-27-2014, 10:42 AM

With Pitt favored by 4, you need to hop on that!

I think this game could go down to the wire, so I think I will grab some Duke +4 as well (although I suspect it may touch 4.5 by tip.)

COYS
01-27-2014, 10:52 AM
With Pitt favored by 4, you need to hop on that!

I think this game could go down to the wire, so I think I will grab some Duke +4 as well (although I suspect it may touch 4.5 by tip.)

This would really be a great day for some good three point shooting. I think ball movement is key. Pitt defends well, but Duke is extremely talented on the offensive end. If Jabari, Rodney, Quinn, and Rasheed all avoid too many long two's and hero-ball, we can work to get high quality shots near the basket or from range. When we get those precious open looks from three, we need to knock 'em down. I'd also like to see us attack the basket as much as possible to set up those three point attempts. It would be nice to get Pitt to 7 fouls as fast as possible and get some easy points at the line. The past few games, Rasheed, Jabari, and Rodney have clearly made an effort to get into the paint. We had a ridiculous 70% free throw rate against FSU. Now, I'm not sure the game will be called that tightly again, but I do hope we continue to look to attack (under control, of course) from the outset and let our three point attempts be primarily of the drive and dish variety.

flyingdutchdevil
01-27-2014, 10:55 AM
This would really be a great day for some good three point shooting. I think ball movement is key. Pitt defends well, but Duke is extremely talented on the offensive end. If Jabari, Rodney, Quinn, and Rasheed all avoid too many long two's and hero-ball, we can work to get high quality shots near the basket or from range. When we get those precious open looks from three, we need to knock 'em down. I'd also like to see us attack the basket as much as possible to set up those three point attempts. It would be nice to get Pitt to 7 fouls as fast as possible and get some easy points at the line. The past few games, Rasheed, Jabari, and Rodney have clearly made an effort to get into the paint. We had a ridiculous 70% free throw rate against FSU. Now, I'm not sure the game will be called that tightly again, but I do hope we continue to look to attack (under control, of course) from the outset and let our three point attempts be primarily of the drive and dish variety.

I agree, except for the bolded part. As a fan of Doris Burke, she pointed out that Hood rarely, if ever, takes a poor shot. He may have 1-2 long twos in a game, but they aren't hero ball shots, ala Jabari or Quinn.

Like you, I see 3pt as a major factor in this game. But I also see Sulaimon's ability to drive and get either easy buckets down low or find the free 3pt shooter. I'm calling Sulaimon as the MOTM tonight.

BD80
01-27-2014, 11:21 AM

Pitt also played on the road, and thus did not have the "luxury" of the full training staff and facilities after the game. We were at home and had full opportunity to receive immediately after the game whatever therapy (hot, cold, massage) would help each player recover most rapidly.

Jarhead
01-27-2014, 11:26 AM
What's not to love about Dick Groat. All American guard and baseball player at Duke. Then plays on World Series championship team with my St. Louis Cardinals. I love the guy. GoDuke and GoRedbirds!

He also was with the Pittsburgh Pirates, and helped them get a World Series title also. For years I've been hoping that he'd get elected to the BB Hall of Fame. He did manage to get elected to the National College Basketball Hall of Fame in 2007. Take a look at this look back (http://www.baseballsavvy.com/w_groat.html) into his history including the fact that he always thought he was a lot better in basketball than he was in baseball.

hustleplays
01-27-2014, 12:02 PM
Plumlee has been working after practice with assistant coach Nate James – Friday, the day before the Florida State game, he had to be forced out of the gym, as he was getting up extra shots and working on his post moves.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/01/...#storylink=cpy

Nice article by Laura K on Marshall. Love his intensity and fierceness. Miles seemed to get more intense and angry toward the end of his senior year, but MP1 & MP2 were often lacking fierceness, IMO.

And I know that this is not New News at all, but it just warms my heart to read about Nate James working with Marshall. Sweet. Had to make Marshall leave the gym. Total dedication by both player and coach.

Go Duke!

sagegrouse
01-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Pitt also played on the road, and thus did not have the "luxury" of the full training staff and facilities after the game. We were at home and had full opportunity to receive immediately after the game whatever therapy (hot, cold, massage) would help each player recover most rapidly.

To which one must ask, "What would most help DBR fans recover after a game?"

brevity
01-27-2014, 12:36 PM
To which one must ask, "What would most help DBR fans recover after a game?"

We've already addressed this in the beer thread (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?3840-Ymm-beer).

ChillinDuke
01-27-2014, 01:06 PM
Spread is now at 4 with Pitt being favored. Kenpom has it as a 6-point Pitt victory with Duke having a 30% chance of winning. Should be a battle - home court is also huge. Kenpom has us losing by 6 @ Syracuse, but beating them by 2 at home, so looks like home vs. away is around a whopping 8 point differential.

This actually is in line with what I've seen. I've done some research on lines recently, and 3.5 to 4 pts seems somewhat reasonable as a home court advantage. So 7 to 8 seems like an appropriate swing from one's home court to the other team's. Throw in the fact that Pitt's very strong at home as well as it's Pitt's first ACC home game against Duke, and being at the high end of the range seems even more appropriate.

If you've seen differently, I'd love to see what you're looking at.

- Chillin

flyingdutchdevil
01-27-2014, 01:14 PM
This actually is in line with what I've seen. I've done some research on lines recently, and 3.5 to 4 pts seems somewhat reasonable as a home court advantage. So 7 to 8 seems like an appropriate swing from one's home court to the other team's. Throw in the fact that Pitt's very strong at home as well as it's Pitt's first ACC home game against Duke, and being at the high end of the range seems even more appropriate.

If you've seen differently, I'd love to see what you're looking at.

- Chillin

As betting is huge in the UK, there is a ton of research on this. Given two evenly talented teams, a home team is favored by 0.6 goals. Given that the average game results in 3 scored goals, that is just an insane figure.

I would love to see more stats about home vs away spreads in college ball, especially with teams that have difficult arenas for opposing teams (Duke, Kansas, Wisconsin, not UNC...)

-bdbd
01-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Scout's preview - more on history and context of "making a first big mark in the ACC" :

http://duke.scout.com/2/1369870.html

jipops
01-27-2014, 02:23 PM

I get that. But I would certainly like our chances better if we had more time for preparation, watching film, practicing sets, practicing against sets, etc... Same goes for them on this front as well obviously but they haven't had the same struggles on defense as us and combine that with the home court advantage... well it would just be nice if K had a one or two more days to prepare the defense for this one. At least he'll get the extra time for Syracuse.

BD80
01-27-2014, 02:50 PM
I get that. But I would certainly like our chances better if we had more time for preparation, watching film, practicing sets, practicing against sets, etc... Same goes for them on this front as well obviously but they haven't had the same struggles on defense as us and combine that with the home court advantage... well it would just be nice if K had a one or two more days to prepare the defense for this one. At least he'll get the extra time for Syracuse.

The reason Coach K runs the defense and offense the way he does is so that our team learns to adapt to opponents in game and does not "need" to prepare in advance. Conversely, the opponents cannot "prepare" for Duke because there is no particular "scheme" except high ball screens on offense or switching man-to-man on D.

Further, Coach K seeks out these tough 2-day turnarounds as they emulate tournament play. Pitt with only one day off is certainly the kind of challenge we could face in rounds 5 or 7.

throatybeard
01-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Further, Coach K seeks out these tough 2-day turnarounds as they emulate tournament play. Pitt with only one day off is certainly the kind of challenge we could face in rounds 5 or 7.

He may seek them out, but he doesn't make the Conference schedule.

Frankly, I find these Monday ACC games sort of weird. The Big XII and Big East dominated Monday nights on ESPN/ESPN2 for so long.

roywhite
01-27-2014, 02:55 PM
New polls out:

AP
Duke 17
Pitt 18

Coaches
Duke 16
Pitt 17

roywhite
01-27-2014, 02:58 PM
He may seek them out, but he doesn't make the Conference schedule.

Frankly, I find these Monday ACC games sort of weird. The Big XII and Big East dominated Monday nights on ESPN/ESPN2 for so long.

Just my preference, but I like the Monday games.

Also glad to see no Sunday games on this year's Duke schedule; plenty of Saturday games and looks like a Saturday off on March 1.

ArtVandelay
01-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Does anyone have a scouting report as to whether Pitt is likely to zone us or play straight man? I haven't seen them play this year. My recollection is that they tend to be a man-to-man program, but I can't recall whether Dixon throws in zones occasionally.

Atlanta Duke
01-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Duplicate post deleted

Class of '94
01-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Lately, I've been reading comments by local triangle writers like Joe Giglio taking shots at the Cameron Crazies. He twice tweeted since the NC State game that he thought it was embarrassing that the Crazies did the same chants from 20 years ago; and basically implied that the current generation of Crazies have no creativity. Then, I read articles from Pittsburgh writers and Seth Greenberg that Airowe posted on his twitter account in which he thought Cameron was an easy place to play and that the Oakland Zoo at Pitt was a great atmosphere and tough place to play at.

I know I am biased but does anyone with knowledge of the atmosphere in Cameron and at Pitt can tell me if Pitt and the Oakland Zoo is in fact a better environment and tougher place to play than Cameron? I know I am biased having been a Crazie for 4 years back in the early 90s; but I can't imagine the environment in Cameron has slipped that much to where Pitt has tougher environment and better atmosphere. Am I wrong?

I am expecting it to be rocking at Pitt; but I can't see it being more hostile than playing in college Park. Good luck Devils; and go get a win. All this Big East taking over the ACC talk needs to stop; and I can't think of a better way to stop the talk than Duke going to Pitt and beating them on their floor.

NashvilleDevil
01-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Lately, I've been reading comments by local triangle writers like Joe Giglio taking shots at the Cameron Crazies. He twice tweeted since the NC State game that he thought it was embarrassing that the Crazies did the same chants from 20 years ago; and basically implied that the current generation of Crazies have no creativity. Then, I read articles from Pittsburgh writers and Seth Greenberg that Airowe posted on his twitter account in which he thought Cameron was an easy place to play and that the Oakland Zoo at Pitt was a great atmosphere and tough place to play at.
I know I am biased but does anyone with knowledge of the atmosphere in Cameron and at Pitt can tell me if Pitt and the Oakland Zoo is in fact a better environment and tougher place to play than Cameron? I know I am biased having been a Crazie for 4 years back in the early 90s; but I can't imagine the environment in Cameron has slipped that much to where Pitt has tougher environment and better atmosphere. Am I wrong?

I am expecting it to be rocking at Pitt; but I can't see it being more hostile than playing in college Park. Good luck Devils; and go get a win. All this Big East taking over the ACC talk needs to stop; and I can't think of a better way to stop the talk than Duke going to Pitt and beating them on their floor.

It was so easy to play there he won once, an overtime game in 06-07, the year Duke got beat by VCU in the tournament. He is on TV for a reason.

Kedsy
01-27-2014, 03:32 PM

Yeah, we'll just have to see how it goes. When it comes to Pitt "underachieving" in the NCAAT, it makes me once again wonder about the so-called "Wisconsin Effect," which as I understand it has to do with a team blasting the cupcakes on its schedule and thus inflating its Pomeroy rank.

Of course, we don't really know if the Wisconsin effect is real. The basis for thinking it's real primarily has to do with Wisconsin's poor showing in the NCAA Tournament, which as we all know is a complicated metric not necessarily having to do with the true strength of a team. In any event, here's a table showing every year in which Wisconsin rated in Pomeroy's top 15:

Year Rank going into NCAAT Old Pom Rank New Pom Rank NC SOS Seed NCAAT Result
2013 9 12 13 241 5 Lost in round of 64 to #12 seed
2012 6 5 7 271 4 Lost in round of 16 to #1 seed
2011 9 7 8 245 4 Lost in round of 16 to #8 seed
2010 3 9 11 131 4 Lost in round of 32 to #12 seed
2008 5 5 110 3 Lost in round of 16 to #10 seed
2007 8 8 141 2 Lost in round of 32 to #7 seed
2004 5 6 65 6 Lost in round of 32 to #3 seed
2003 11 12 163 5 Lost in round of 16 to #1 seed

So, a bunch of things jump out. First of all, while the "new" Pomeroy system does rank Wiscsonsin lower in most years, it never ranks them more than 2 spots lower (and that happens only twice), so it's not clear how well the new Pomeroy "solves" the Wisconsin problem. Second, since Wisconsin did get upset (lose to a lower seed) in 5 of the 8 years, its rank going in to the NCAAT was even more at odds with its NCAAT performance than is apparent by looking at the year-end Pomeroy rankings (see especially 2010).

It's also important to note, however, that the seeding committee didn't seem to use Pomeroy when seeding Wisconsin, so Wisconsin's tourney performance is at least partially a chicken-and-egg issue. For example, in 2004, Wisconsin was Pomeroy's 5th or 6th best team but got a #6 seed and lost in the Sweet 16 to Pittsburgh, Pomeroy's #4 team, exactly as both the seeding and Pomeroy would have predicted. There's nothing in that particular scenario that suggests Wisconsin was overrated.

Most glaring is that Wisconsin's Non-conference strength of schedule (NC SOS) has usually been pretty poor in this sample, especially in the last three seasons. And that's exactly why I'm bringing it up here: Pittsburgh's NC SOS is currently rated by Pomeroy as #282 (Duke's is #85). So if there's any truth to the Wisconsin Effect, then it's very possible it comes into play for Pitt and they're not as good as their rating.

As I said, we'll just have to see how it goes.

sagegrouse
01-27-2014, 03:44 PM
Then, I read articles from Pittsburgh writers and Seth Greenberg that Airowe posted on his twitter account in which he thought Cameron was an easy place to play and that the Oakland Zoo at Pitt was a great atmosphere and tough place to play at.

Seth Greenberg's line for years has been that, while the students in Cameron are intense and loud, they are neither profane nor violent (Hullo, Terpdom!), and that Cameron is a fun place to play. The visiting players and team should just enjoy the experience. I don't ever remember him saying it was "an easy place to play."

"Enjoy the experience," of course, is the right way for any visiting coach to frame an away game -- at Duke or elsewhere.

sage

Dukehky
01-27-2014, 03:58 PM
Seth Greenberg's line for years has been that, while the students in Cameron are intense and loud, they are neither profane nor violent (Hullo, Terpdom!), and that Cameron is a fun place to play. The visiting players and team should just enjoy the experience. I don't ever remember him saying it was "an easy place to play."

"Enjoy the experience," of course, is the right way for any visiting coach to frame an away game -- at Duke or elsewhere.

sage

It was neither a fun nor easy place to play in the late 90s and early 2000s. I remember going when I was in middle school and high school and that place was mean. I miss it. I'm not saying to start yelling F-you Hansbrough, but you can be mean with things that you chant. Not everything has to be happy and clever, I myself am especially partial to mean and clever, but then again, I'm kind of a jerk.

It also doesn't help that the student's section doesn't fill up for ACC games with students anymore. But whatever, I don't care what goes on in the stands. As long as it gets loud when K says get loud, I don't really care anymore.

Dev11
01-27-2014, 03:59 PM

If you're referring to the Big East around the turn of the millennium, half of those teams are in the ACC now.

Duvall
01-27-2014, 04:00 PM
It was neither a fun nor easy place to play in the late 90s and early 2000s.

When Nick Horvath served the beer?

Sorry, that joke might be older than you.

peterjswift
01-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Just my preference, but I like the Monday games.

Also glad to see no Sunday games on this year's Duke schedule; plenty of Saturday games and looks like a Saturday off on March 1.

March 8th is an off night as well.

tbyers11
01-27-2014, 04:06 PM
When Nick Horvath served the beer?

Sorry, that joke might be older than you.

Nick Horvath only served beer during the summer pick-up sessions. Except for that one night against DePaul. Jeesh, I thought everyone knew that ;)

Dukehky
01-27-2014, 04:12 PM
Nick Horvath only served beer during the summer pick-up sessions. Jeesh, I thought everyone knew that ;)

On a related and not quite so joking note, Taylor King used to walk around east campus chugging tall boys and smoking black and milds. He may have been more suited for Villanova afer all.

And yes, I didn't get that joke.

But as to Cameron's atmosphere I do have some thoughts that I will save for some down time because if we, as a fan forum, do not focus on the Pitt game, things may not turn out well. I know that sounds like sarcasm, but it's not. I am really jacked up, because Duke is the ACC and this is our conference, and I'll be damned if I'm going to concede the league to these Big East rejects (okay their not rejects, but you gotta be mean sometimes). I've been communicating telepathically with Jabari since the FSU game, and I told him to score 30, have 7 assists, and have 18 rebounds. I'm confident in my non communicative communication.

Billy Dat
01-27-2014, 04:22 PM
I am really jacked up, because Duke is the ACC and this is our conference, and I'll be damned if I'm going to concede the league to these Big East rejects (okay their not rejects, but you gotta be mean sometimes). I've been communicating telepathically with Jabari since the FSU game, and I told him to score 30, have 7 assists, and have 18 rebounds. I'm confident in my non communicative communication.

Strong work, I will also attempt some telepathy.

Considering that the ACC now includes Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, V.Tech and Miami, it's very similar to the old Big East.

As for Seth Greenberg, he and Jamie Dixon are pretty close friends, it doesn't surprise me that he is pimping Pitt.

Pitt and Syracuse, from a fan perspective, are foaming at the mouth for our visits. It would be really sweet to pop those balloons as we did in "recent" Big 10/ACC challenge road games against MSU and Purdue (let's not mention OSU and Wisconsin). It would be really nice to quiet the crowd early.

sagegrouse
01-27-2014, 04:27 PM
Strong work, I will also attempt some telepathy.

Considering that the ACC now includes Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, V.Tech and Miami, it's very similar to the old Big East.As for Seth Greenberg, he and Jamie Dixon are pretty close friends, it doesn't surprise me that he is pimping Pitt.

Pitt and Syracuse, from a fan perspective, are foaming at the mouth for our visits. It would be really sweet to pop those balloons as we did in "recent" Big 10/ACC challenge road games against MSU and Purdue (let's not mention OSU and Wisconsin). It would be really nice to quiet the crowd early.

Just a lot more Protestant.

alteran
01-27-2014, 04:32 PM

sage

Thanks for the clarification. I was going to write something snarky about Seth, but I'll hold off now.

I've found him to be way more palatable as a commentator than a coach. Usually with ESPN folks, I find I dislike them more on the air than when they played/coached.

elvis14
01-27-2014, 04:44 PM
We often talk about how Duke gets everyone's best shot and how teams get up to play Duke. Heard this a lot after the Notre Dame and Clemson games. During both of those games I thought we looked flat. In other words, I didn't think that Duke got up for those games and I didn't think we gave them our best shot. As I think about tonight's game all I can think is how much I'd like to see Duke come out all fired up and take it to Pittsburgh the way we talk about other teams stepping up to play against Duke.

MCFinARL
01-27-2014, 04:47 PM
We often talk about how Duke gets everyone's best shot and how teams get up to play Duke. Heard this a lot after the Notre Dame and Clemson games. During both of those games I thought we looked flat. In other words, I didn't think that Duke got up for those games and I didn't think we gave them our best shot. As I think about tonight's game all I can think is how much I'd like to see Duke come out all fired up and take it to Pittsburgh the way we talk about other teams stepping up to play against Duke.

Me too--and it would make sense for them to do so. These next two are away games, but they are against the newcomers who are trying to dominate the conference--time to protect the turf.

Troublemaker
01-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Does anyone have a scouting report as to whether Pitt is likely to zone us or play straight man? I haven't seen them play this year. My recollection is that they tend to be a man-to-man program, but I can't recall whether Dixon throws in zones occasionally.

Yes, he is capable of throwing in zones (he played some against Cuse) -- differentiating him a bit from his predecessor and mentor Howland -- but you are correct that he prefers m2m. Pitt's "defensive fingerpint" according to kenpom is "Mostly Man"

DBFAN
01-27-2014, 05:33 PM
No worries folks. We got this, because today is my Birthday, and also a celebration of this

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FeI82rqx2QU

DukieInBrasil
01-27-2014, 05:43 PM
No worries folks. We got this, because today is my Birthday, and also a celebration of this

that NEVER, EVER gets old! And on the commemoration of that game, i think the b-ball gods will be smiling on Duke ;-)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-27-2014, 06:29 PM

I watch this every few months, and it makes me so happy.

Is there less grainy footage anywhere?

riverside6
01-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Pitt, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=20075

NashvilleDevil
01-27-2014, 06:40 PM

I remember where I was when this happened. Out with a group of friends right before I was set to leave for Ft. Campbell and getting some good old fashioned ribbing for Duke's loss and then it happened. Good times.

Dev11
01-27-2014, 06:41 PM

Rasheed and Tyler starting in the front court and Quinn on the bench? That seems odd.

Troublemaker
01-27-2014, 06:42 PM

Whoa, Sheed and Tyler in place of Quinn and Matt?

Matches
01-27-2014, 06:43 PM
Rasheed and Tyler starting in the front court and Quinn on the bench? That seems odd.

Quinn hurt his ankles on Saturday. Both of them.

dairedevil
01-27-2014, 06:45 PM
Will he be able to play at all? He will be missed if he can't get in the game.

-jk
01-27-2014, 06:53 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open for qualified members.

-jk

Troublemaker
01-27-2014, 06:59 PM

Good call. Now the quick turnaround seems a bit unfortunate for us. Hopefully Quinn can give 15 min off the bench.

gurufrisbee
01-27-2014, 07:14 PM
Quinn has been the most important player for our offense all season and it's showing already.

dairedevil
01-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Slow start. It drives me nuts when this happens...hopefully they will settle down and get into a good rhythm soon.

JNort
01-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Anyone else getting annoyed with the announcer saying "Sullymon"

bbosbbos
01-27-2014, 07:21 PM
RS could drive, but could not finish. Old problem is coming back when facing strong opponents. Pitt is very physical.

arnie
01-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Slow start. It drives me nuts when this happens...hopefully they will settle down and get into a good rhythm soon.
Yea 3 fgs in 8 minutes- Sheed seems to excited. We'll calm down and play now.

Bay Area Duke Fan
01-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Anyone else getting annoyed with the announcer saying "Sullymon"

How do You pronounce Sulaimon?

brevity
01-27-2014, 07:24 PM

I watch this every few months, and it makes me so happy.

Is there less grainy footage anywhere?

I'm pretty sure those Maryland players have nightmares about it in crystal clear HD. That probably doesn't help you, but it makes me feel better.

CDu
01-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Well, they sure are letting them play... both ways. Pretty sure there have been crimes committed by about 5 or 6 players so far, on both teams.

This type of ugly basketball was what the rules changes were trying to address. But it only works if you call the fouls.

ChrisP
01-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Why are Hood & Parker forcing so many shots on offense? When we're patient & pass it around, we get good shots. It's not rocket science guys

pfrduke
01-27-2014, 07:40 PM
Well, they sure are letting them play... both ways. Pretty sure there have been crimes committed by about 5 or 6 players so far, on both teams.

This type of ugly basketball was what the rules changes were trying to address. But it only works if you call the fouls.

Yeah, nothing at the rim is a foul in this game.

rhynelander
01-27-2014, 07:43 PM
how is that a foul on Amile after the past two possessions being no calls for duke??

bbosbbos
01-27-2014, 07:44 PM
BB was knocked out of Hood's hands at least three times. Cook passed to Andre only once, resulting in a 3. Problems everywhere.

Why are Hood & Parker forcing so many shots on offense? When we're patient & pass it around, we get good shots. It's not rocket science guys

lotusland
01-27-2014, 07:55 PM
BB was knocked out of Hood's hands at least three times. Cook passed to Andre only once, resulting in a 3. Problems everywhere.

i'll take a 2 pt halftime lead playing at Pitt.

MP3 has almost no stats yet he's made a big difference on defense.

CLW
01-27-2014, 07:55 PM
This one looks to be going down to the last few minutes. Pitt really hurt our D with excellent passing. Marshall was playing well. Not really sure why the officiating has gone to calling the ticky tack calls out on the outside but you could literally shoot someone's head off with a shotgun in the paint and its not going to be called. Going to have to man up and/or start shooting/hitting some floaters before the contact in the lane.

FerryFor50
01-27-2014, 07:59 PM
This one looks to be going down to the last few minutes. Pitt really hurt our D with excellent passing. Marshall was playing well. Not really sure why the officiating has gone to calling the ticky tack calls out on the outside but you could literally shoot someone's head off with a shotgun in the paint and its not going to be called. Going to have to man up and/or start shooting/hitting some floaters before the contact in the lane.

Welcome to the Big East.

SCMatt33
01-27-2014, 07:59 PM
First of all, that was a really high level half from both teams. There were a lot of excellent plays and few silly mistakes. Duke took about 5 or 6 minutes to really get into it, but they made some great adjustments. The refs have been calling this game very loose with body contact, but tight with hands and reach-in's. Given Duke's style vs. Pitt's style, that's advantage Pitt. Duke, however, did a great job adjusting. Early on, Sulaimon and Cook both had plays where they tried to "draw the foul" and ended up just taking themselves out of the play going the other way. Later on, Duke drove towards the bucket trying to score, and were able to get some plays at the rim, the best example being Jabari getting his own blocked shot back and scoring instead of waiting for a whistle that wouldn't come. Duke also did a great job hanging with Pitt on the boards. Pitt is one of the best rebounding teams in the country and before the last few weeks, Duke would probably get dominated on the boards. Give both teams a ton of credit here, because they have both played excellent ball.

CLW
01-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Welcome to the Big East.

Well the new ACC is the slowest tempo conference in the nation so I suppose it fits.

bbosbbos
01-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Like MP3's performance.

I want more pass to Andre when possible. He is 100% so far.

i'll take a 2 pt halftime lead playing at Pitt.

MP3 has almost no stats yet he's made a big difference on defense.

arnie
01-27-2014, 08:04 PM
Well the new ACC is the slowest tempo conference in the nation so I suppose it fits.

We're fortunate to be ahead. Need Sheed to make something and maybe more time for Andre.

Dukehky
01-27-2014, 08:05 PM

Sool-short a-mon

I telepathically told Jabari to score 30. He's half way there. I was not pleased when Artis woofed at him. Rodney needs to be a little stronger with the ball. Other than that, our secondary and tertiary scorers have given us very little in the first half. I think that changes. I expect Pitt's role players to cool off a bit and for Patterson to pick it up. Overall, if we keep up the defensive intensity, I think we're in really good shape.

As far as the inconsistent officiating, I think we're a little bit at a disadvantage because the ticky-tack fouls on the perimeter negate our pressure a bit more, but down low, nothing is a foul on either side. Would like to see us get a call on the drives occasionally to reward our aggressive play, but you ahve to play through the refs. I don't think their inconsistencies will decide the game, which is nice to think.

Let's go boys.

Also, I know we've played well, but I wasn't all that impressed with the Pete, seems like a pretty standard road environment for Duke.

Dukehky
01-27-2014, 08:06 PM
We're fortunate to be ahead. Need Sheed to make something and maybe more time for Andre.

Andre was really bad a few times on defense, and Rasheed has been fantastic. With Jabari playing so well, the wing defense is more important. I think Rasheed picks it up in this half.

Gotta D rebound

rsvman
01-27-2014, 08:07 PM
Sheed back to his old ways on the last play of the half. Dawkins wide open for an uncontested 3, but Sulaimon chooses, instead, to force the shot with three guys on him, all of whom were taller than he is.
Frustrating. Pretty sure K put Dawkins into the lineup for a reason in those last seconds of the half.

JNort
01-27-2014, 08:08 PM

Just like everyone else, and the way it's spelled.... Sulaimon. Kinda sounds like Sue-la-mon

bbosbbos
01-27-2014, 08:10 PM
How is the ranking of Pitt's ORB and DRB in the nation? They are dominating RBs now.

SCMatt33
01-27-2014, 08:19 PM
How is the ranking of Pitt's ORB and DRB in the nation? They are dominating RBs now.

They're top 15 in both on KenPom. Duke is doing a great job just hanging with them.

bbosbbos
01-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Our D is good. I think it is at the FF level. But O is quite poor. BE style is different from that of ACC.

They're top 15 in both on KenPom. Duke is doing a great job just hanging with them.

bbosbbos
01-27-2014, 08:26 PM
O is picking up

willywoody
01-27-2014, 08:27 PM
Welcome to the Big East. No blood, no foul.

bbosbbos
01-27-2014, 08:29 PM
I do not like ACC ref. But now it turns out they are a lot better than BE's.

Welcome to the Big East. No blood, no foul.

ChrisP
01-27-2014, 08:29 PM
This lack of foul calls is ridiculous! I am pretty sure i saw 3 no-calls on one Duke possession a few minutes ago!

plimnko
01-27-2014, 08:30 PM
i realize i'm bias, but ......that held ball looked an awful lot like held arm to me

FerryFor50
01-27-2014, 08:30 PM
Forearm is a part of the ball, guys. Welcome to the Big East.

ChrisP
01-27-2014, 08:31 PM
I do not like ACC ref. But now it turns out they are a lot better than BE's.

Pretty sure these are ACC refs

dairedevil
01-27-2014, 08:33 PM
There are many reasons that I hate the expansion, but bringing Big East style basketball is pretty high on that list. Ugh, it is ugly, physical b-ball.

bbosbbos
01-27-2014, 08:33 PM
I can not help saying some F words to BE refs.

ChrisP
01-27-2014, 08:34 PM
Ugh, we cannot build a lead and get any separation. Pitt's D is really good but...we have made a lot of bad decisions on offense :(

bbosbbos
01-27-2014, 08:36 PM
Grabbing your hands, knocking your body, that is very physical

Ugh, we cannot build a lead and get any separation. Pitt's D is really good but...we have made a lot of bad decisions on offense :(

willywoody
01-27-2014, 08:36 PM
Now, a second warning on Pitt coach and no T. This is silly.

SCMatt33
01-27-2014, 08:38 PM
I know it's a few plays ago, but I can't say enough about Dre staying with his shot and getting his own tip. Every one of our guys is 100% into this game and we need every bit of it!

ChrisP
01-27-2014, 08:39 PM
What is with Jamie Dixon coming so far out on the floor? Repeatedly! With no call (even after lots of warnings from the refs).

gus
Watching the reply of Zanna's foul on plumlee, it struck me that so often these crowd displeasing calls... the refs actually get right.

arnie
Now, a second warning on Pitt coach and no T. This is silly.

Yes, we got the refs in our pocket. We must have taken about 4 free throws this game.

FerryFor50
01-27-2014, 08:40 PM
Watching the reply of Zanna's foul on plumlee, it struck me that so often these crowd displeasing calls... the refs actually get right.

Crowds that whine that much about fouls don't know a that much about basketball. See: NC State.

g-money
01-27-2014, 08:41 PM
Andre!!!

ChrisP
01-27-2014, 08:41 PM
Grabbing your hands, knocking your body, that is very physical

I hear you, but a few minutes ago, we had 3 point lead and Parker got it on the block but failed to recognize the double team and got stuffed.

dairedevil
01-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Yes, we got the refs in our pocket. We must have taken about 4 free throws this game.
And made all of them (in the first half)!

g-money
01-27-2014, 08:45 PM
Let me repeat: Andre!!!

The kid just brings it in big games. I love that about him.

toughbuff1
01-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Dre all day!

ChrisP
01-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Ugh - 5 point swing on that bad decision to drive into a TRIPLE team with a 13 point lead by Hood. Come on, man!

arnie
01-27-2014, 08:50 PM
Great game from everyone tonite. Just keep it going for 3 more minutes.

pfrduke
01-27-2014, 08:51 PM
To whomever said earlier that they weren't impressed with our offense, I hope you're impressed now. Clinical execution in the last 8-10 minutes (yes, a couple hiccups, but enough talent and hustle to make up even for those). And all that against a very tough and physical defense.

Les Grossman
is playing a whale of a game!
Andre, Amile and MP3, big big contributions

ChrisP
Really proud of our guys and effort tonight. We've made a couple bad decisions on offense but have stayed pretty solid on D and on the boards :)

JNort
That bucket by Quinn is one of the reasons K likes him to have the ball at the end of the shot clock. He is the best on the team at keeping his dribble alive while still hunting a shot and looking for open players.

Les Grossman
01-27-2014, 08:53 PM
is doing his best Gary Williams impression

Les Grossman
01-27-2014, 08:54 PM
That bucket by Quinn is one of the reasons K likes him to have the ball at the end of the shot clock. He is the best on the team at keeping his dribble alive while still hunting a shot and looking for open players.

Awesome play by Q

ChrisP
01-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Get this game over! Gotta hit ft's!

duke4ever19
01-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Andre yet again! Perfect stall ball execution.

CDu
01-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Andre m'n'f'n Dawkins!

I am thoroughly enjoying this second half.

FerryFor50
01-27-2014, 08:58 PM
How do you leave the best shooter on the floor THAT wide open?

Les Grossman
01-27-2014, 08:59 PM
to find Dawk in the corner for that last 3

arnie
Andre m'n'f'n Dawkins!

I am thoroughly enjoying this second half.

Best half of season?

ChrisP
Andre all freakin' day, baybeeeeee! So, SO happy for him!

ice-9
01-27-2014, 09:01 PM
My big takeaway is that this team doesn't need hero ball from Parker or Hood, we have enough weapons to convert high quality shots. And it's good to know its there in case nothing is working - but it should be the backup not the point.