PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 85, FSU 77 (OT)

burnspbesq
01-23-2014, 07:47 PM
HT: Duke 33, FSU 32. Duke is 1-6 from three and 0-4 from the line. FSU's defenders read the part of the scouting report that says "don't help off 32." This one could go down to the wire.

MCFinARL
01-23-2014, 07:58 PM
Looks from the live stats like Duke is doing everything better than Florida State except shooting.

It may take a while for the team to adjust to playing without Chelsea.

DU82
01-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Watching on ESPN3 (thanks awhom111), we're missing players on D, and poor shooting has the game tied at 43. Liston is going to have to have the ball in her hands, she's not open at all for passes. FSU is out-rebounding us by quite a bit.

We were zero at the line in the first half. Not sure what's happened to Richa and others. Elizabeth's been bad for a while with her hitch, and the frosh aren't great either. Liston leads the conference in percentage, but hasn't gone to the line yet.

After the Virginia game, I thought we'd be OK against the non- ND/Maryland teams, but the second half collapse against VT and the play at FSU is worrisome.

Duvall
01-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Unforced errors, no energy on defense, no effort shown on loose balls or on the boards. Duke is done.

DU82
01-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Forgot to mention that Chloe is hurt (shin again) so KJ is our only real guard on the bench. The three freshmen big subs haven't done much (Amber was in just long enough to pick up two quick fouls.). Becca may have to play after all, if anybody else goes down.

FSU by 5 after Tricia finally gets a three, 59-54.

Meanwhile, Maryland is losing to UVA by 13 with 1:30 to go.

burnspbesq
01-23-2014, 08:22 PM
Duke is minus-13 on the glass. Need to get a body on Howard every time.

FSU is a top-25 team, and they are playing like it.

burnspbesq
01-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Duke down two with possession, 2:35 to go. Missed free throws are killing us.

burnspbesq
01-23-2014, 08:44 PM
AJ in the lane to tie it with 0:29 to go.

burnspbesq
01-23-2014, 08:46 PM
EWill sends one back and Richa grabs it. Duke has it in the offensive end coming out of a time out with 0:10 to go. Game tied for the eleventh time.

burnspbesq
01-23-2014, 08:48 PM
First play didn't work, so Duke called another time out. Sideline out of bounds with 0:05.8.

burnspbesq
01-23-2014, 08:50 PM
OT. FSU defended well, and all Duke could get was a contested 17-footer for AJ, which came up well short.

wandalee
01-23-2014, 08:51 PM
Not much of a last play drawn up by the Duke coaches. We have to get some rebounds and make some free throws.

DU82
01-23-2014, 08:51 PM
OT. Alexis with a poor shot (not much she could do) and contact but no foul (par for this game, though.)

Not sure why Tricia inbounded the ball, no way was she going to be in position to get it back. Alexis usually inbounds.

(Triplicate!)

wandalee
01-23-2014, 08:54 PM
Tricha for 3! Now we're up by 6.

burnspbesq
01-23-2014, 08:55 PM
7-0 run for Duke to start OT. Defense has kept the ball away from Howard, who has 24 and 20, in OT, and FSU is missing midrange jumpers.

burnspbesq
01-23-2014, 09:00 PM
EWill fouls out with 0:36 to go in OT. Howard misses the front end (FSU is 0-2 from the line in 44:27). Liston grabs the bound and is fouled. Game over. Duke up nine with 30 seconds left.

DU82
01-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Say what you want about Coach P, but she has this team in great shape. FSU wore down in the end, while the Blue Devils played strong in OT. The final 85-77.

wandalee
01-23-2014, 09:01 PM
We played great in overtime and won by 8.

Tappan Zee Devil
01-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Well - that one was lost and they still pulled it out

burnspbesq
01-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Phew. Final score Duke 85, FSU 77 (OT). 25 for Liston (career high?). Natasha Howard's monster night (28 and 24!) is for nought.

MCFinARL
01-23-2014, 09:06 PM
Didn't realize until overtime that this game was on ESPN3. Based on the stats on ESPN, it seemed like Florida State had the lead late mostly because of rebounding--they shot less well than Duke but took many more shots. Something to think about.

Glad Duke pulled this one out--it would be easy to let a tough road game slip away while the team is regrouping without Chelsea.

burnspbesq
01-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Maryland got whomped in C'ville, and Miami is hanging with ND late in the first half. Could be a really interesting night.

wandalee
01-23-2014, 09:10 PM
If the box score is right, Alexis had 15 assists to go with her 13 points. Richa also had a double-double with 14 and 10.

Tricia is very close to breaking the school record for made 3-pointers. She should get it on Sunday vs Pitt.

Duvall
01-23-2014, 10:29 PM
Impressive to see Duke find another gear after it looked like everything was going FSU's way.

OZ
01-24-2014, 12:48 AM
Unforced errors, no energy on defense, no effort shown on loose balls or on the boards. Duke is done.

Oh, my; they must have gotten killed. How badly did they lose?

Kedsy
01-24-2014, 02:23 AM
If the box score is right, Alexis had 15 assists to go with her 13 points. Richa also had a double-double with 14 and 10.

Alexis had 9 assists midway through the first half. Some of them were incredible thread-the-needle passes, too. At least three "whoa, did you see that?" assists.

Also, I can't say enough about how good a player Tricia Liston has become. She used to be just a shooter, but now she's an all-around star. She can score in so many ways, and she's incredibly clutch, both from beyond the arch and from the free throw line. It's amazing how much she's developed over her Duke career.

Didn't realize until overtime that this game was on ESPN3. Based on the stats on ESPN, it seemed like Florida State had the lead late mostly because of rebounding--they shot less well than Duke but took many more shots. Something to think about.

But in the OT, we got every rebound (except one). The team really gutted this one out.

It's tough to lose an All America caliber player and still play at a top 5 level. The men's team did it in 2011 (though it finally caught up to us in the NCAAT, ironically after Kyrie came back) but it was harder last year when Ryan Kelly went down. And frankly Chelsea is a better player (compared to her peers) than Ryan was. Couple that with the fact that our first two games without Chelsea were tough road games, and I'm very proud of how we've been playing.

The women have a tough road ahead. Of our ten remaining regular season games, eight of them are either road games or against ranked teams. Five of the ten are against teams currently ranked in the top 7. Hopefully we'll continue to rise to the challenge, but if we drop a game or two I hope the critics around here go a little easy on Coach P and her team.

MCFinARL
01-24-2014, 09:01 AM
Alexis had 9 assists midway through the first half. Some of them were incredible thread-the-needle passes, too. At least three "whoa, did you see that?" assists.

Also, I can't say enough about how good a player Tricia Liston has become. She used to be just a shooter, but now she's an all-around star. She can score in so many ways, and she's incredibly clutch, both from beyond the arch and from the free throw line. It's amazing how much she's developed over her Duke career.

But in the OT, we got every rebound (except one). The team really gutted this one out.

It's tough to lose an All America caliber player and still play at a top 5 level. The men's team did it in 2011 (though it finally caught up to us in the NCAAT, ironically after Kyrie came back) but it was harder last year when Ryan Kelly went down. And frankly Chelsea is a better player (compared to her peers) than Ryan was. Couple that with the fact that our first two games without Chelsea were tough road games, and I'm very proud of how we've been playing.

The women have a tough road ahead. Of our ten remaining regular season games, eight of them are either road games or against ranked teams. Five of the ten are against teams currently ranked in the top 7. Hopefully we'll continue to rise to the challenge, but if we drop a game or two I hope the critics around here go a little easy on Coach P and her team.

I agree--you make some very good points here. The women are having to cope with a major loss in Chelsea Gray as well as some other injury issues, and the schedule will not be doing them any favors. Their overtime performance last night was gutsy and impressive, and they deserve our support/respect.

burnspbesq
01-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Game story from the Tallahassee Democrat (Herald-Sun used the AP story).

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20140124/FSU07/301240029/FSU-s-Howard-scores-28-grabs-22-boards-loss-No-3-Duke

killerleft
01-24-2014, 11:10 AM

Oh, I'm sure everyone will be understanding and forgiving toward Coach P. It's not like she's a punching bag or anything.:rolleyes:

Great to see the ladies tough it out during crunch time! Might come in handy down the road.

Indoor66
01-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Oh, I'm sure everyone will be understanding and forgiving toward Coach P. It's not like she's a punching bag or anything.:rolleyes:

Great to see the ladies tough it out during crunch time! Might come in handy down the road.

Who could blame her? She only lost Chelsea, probably the best point guard in woman's college baskeball, two years in a row.

killerleft
01-24-2014, 04:08 PM
Who could blame her? She only lost Chelsea, probably the best point guard in woman's college baskeball, two years in a row.

Not me! The little 'rolling eyes' face at the end was supposed to make that clear. I'm a big Coach P fan.

Indoor66
01-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Not me! The little 'rolling eyes' face at the end was supposed to make that clear. I'm a big Coach P fan.

Oh, I understood you. :cool: