PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Miami (Jan 22, 2014)

JBDuke
01-22-2014, 09:38 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 67-46 win over Miami this evening?

duke4ever19
01-22-2014, 09:38 PM
Amile "The Beast" Jefferson.

weezie
01-22-2014, 09:39 PM
The Amile.

OldPhiKap
01-22-2014, 09:39 PM
Amile. Solid game from end to end, both ends of the court.

FerryFor50
01-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Loved Amile's game. But 17 points and 13 boards > 8 and 6. Parker and Jefferson both had 3 blocks.

flyingdutchdevil
01-22-2014, 09:45 PM
Went with #14. Complete game. Best passer on this team. Just a delight.

Happy he found what he's looking for.

devildeac
01-22-2014, 10:08 PM
17/15 > 8/7 for me but I cheered for Amile almost as much.

OldPhiKap
01-22-2014, 10:10 PM
17/15 > 8/7 for me but I cheered for Amile almost as much.

True. But did anyone put in more effort than Amile, or scrap harder?

MCFinARL
01-22-2014, 10:12 PM
Went with #14. Complete game. Best passer on this team. Just a delight.

Happy he found what he's looking for.

Voted for Amile, but have to agree with you that Sulaimon's passing is terrific.

mgtr
01-22-2014, 10:14 PM
I went with Amile tonight. Now, which player is the most improved since November -- Amile or Rasheed. I would have to go with Amile, but Rasheed is a very close second. Also happy to see MP3 make several positive plays every game.

devildeac
01-22-2014, 10:17 PM

No argument there, that's why I cheered for Amile almost as much. I saw Parker diving for a loose ball or two, plus, I really liked that Jabari went to the glass. Hard.

Newton_14
01-22-2014, 10:19 PM
Agree. Stats be damned, I thought Amile was easily the MOTM tonight. I've said it before, but it bears repeating, this team is better when Amile attacks the basket and looks to score. I like it when he brings that mindset to the game. He is also figuring out how to out rebound bigger opponents with positioning, and timing. It was fun watching him snatch rebounds away from the bigger dudes tonight.

Outside of a few over zealous moments, that led to a turnover or bad shot, Jabari played a really good game as well. Nice to see him so aggressive on the boards too.

devildeac
01-22-2014, 10:20 PM
Voted for Amile, but have to agree with you that Sulaimon's passing is terrific.

Would love to see that trend continue. IIRC, last game was 6:2 and this one was 4:1 for his A:TO stats.

Indoor66
01-22-2014, 10:22 PM
Agree. Stats be damned, I thought Amile was easily the MOTM tonight. I've said it before, but it bears repeating, this team is better when Amile attacks the basket and looks to score. I like it when he brings that mindset to the game. He is also figuring out how to out rebound bigger opponents with positioning, and timing. It was fun watching him snatch rebounds away from the bigger dudes tonight.

Outside of a few over zealous moments, that led to a turnover or bad shot, Jabari played a really good game as well. Nice to see him so aggressive on the boards too.

The thing about Amile is that he attacks when the opening is there. He also is excellent at the relocation pass. I am always happy when he moves to the top of the key or above the free throw line - good things usually happen.

richardjackson199
01-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Amile is not-so-quietly making a Zoubekian leap. But I voted Marshall for this game given his clutch role play in his limited minutes when it still mattered. I was never an MP3 believer until today. I love being proven wrong.

Edouble
01-23-2014, 12:38 AM
I voted for Amile.

With 2:08, Amile made what could be the rebound of the game, snaking his way through two Miami defenders, puts up a shot, gets his own miss off the glass, and puts it in to put us up 10 before the half expires.

He then bursts Miami's bubble by scoring the first four points of the second half.

throatybeard
01-23-2014, 01:02 AM
If you give a man a fish, you give him Amile. But If you teach a man to fish for loose balls, Amile rebounds a lot.

This isn't working.

bedeviled
01-23-2014, 03:45 AM
This isn't workingAh, that's because you identified the wrong MotM. If you had guessed correctly, you would have realized that tonight's pun is: Jabaris set.

rthomas
01-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Amile is like Dennis Rodman, except Amile is better looking, a better shooter, and not crazy.

slower
01-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Amile was in Beast Mode. Love that guy.

But I really wanted to give some kind of props to Matt Jones for his fighting-for-the-ball body slam on Jekiri(?). Matt is an old-school Duke baller.

Dev11
01-23-2014, 08:44 AM
But I really wanted to give some kind of props to Matt Jones for his fighting-for-the-ball body slam on Jekiri(?). Matt is an old-school Duke baller.

That move got me off the couch. We've had a lot of wing guards recently who I wouldn't exactly describe as big and tough in the way Matt Jones is big and tough.

oldnavy
01-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Amile did the dirty work... he deserves MOTM although Jabari was a beast last night as well...

Dukehky
01-23-2014, 09:21 AM
Amile was in Beast Mode. Love that guy.

I voted for Matt too. I thought that rebound in particular really kinda put Miami back on it's heels a bit. Also, he made a 3 and played really really good defense on Rion Brown.

Also, Rasheed was great tonight too. A few dopey moves, but those are going to happen occasionally. I love Rasheed guarding the point when he is in with the second rotation. He is the best on ball defender on the team, and that leaves TT to do what he does best and get into passing lanes/prevent their best off the ball guard from getting the ball. Tyler is a very good off ball defender, not on the ball, which is why it's great to see Rasheed on the lead guard.

I'm not sure why people were so worried about Miami, they really aren't that good, and we beat them appropriately.

flyingdutchdevil
01-23-2014, 09:22 AM
That move got me off the couch. We've had a lot of wing guards recently who I wouldn't exactly describe as big and tough in the way Matt Jones is big and tough.

All that Texas BBQ. Makes them boys strong!

With Sulaimon, Jones, and Winslow next year, they may need to open a tomato-based BBQ joint in Durham (that should get all the Carolina BBQ fans riled up ;))

MChambers
01-23-2014, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure why people were so worried about Miami, they really aren't that good, and we beat them appropriately.

I take it you did not see the Notre Dame game? I worry about every game, especially with this young Duke team.

CDu
01-23-2014, 09:48 AM
I voted for Parker. Jefferson played great, but he was a bit of an all-or-nothing guy last night. He made some absolutely huge plays, but was quiet for long stretches. Parker didn't have the "wow" plays that Jefferson had (I doubt I ever expected to say those words), but he made a ton more plays. 17 points, 15 rebounds, 3 blocks in 32 minutes for Parker; 8 points, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks in 32 minutes for Jefferson.

I think Jefferson played great, but whenever a guy gets 15 rebounds and 3 blocks and leads the team in scoring, I'm going with that guy for the honor.

jv001
01-23-2014, 10:11 AM
This was a tough vote for me. It came down to Amile over Jabari. The team seemed to play off his energizing work. I love the way he goes about his business. He has great basketball IQ and works so hard. Jabari had a great game and probably deserved the MOM honor just as much as Amile, but I could only vote for one. GoDuke!

Edouble
01-23-2014, 04:03 PM
I voted for Parker. Jefferson played great, but he was a bit of an all-or-nothing guy last night. He made some absolutely huge plays, but was quiet for long stretches. Parker didn't have the "wow" plays that Jefferson had (I doubt I ever expected to say those words), but he made a ton more plays. 17 points, 15 rebounds, 3 blocks in 32 minutes for Parker; 8 points, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks in 32 minutes for Jefferson.

I think Jefferson played great, but whenever a guy gets 15 rebounds and 3 blocks and leads the team in scoring, I'm going with that guy for the honor.

Every time? Hypothetically what if another guy had 18 rebounds, 4 steals, 10 assists, was second in scoring, but hit a buzzer beating, game winning three point heave from half court?

CDu
01-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Every time? Hypothetically what if another guy had 18 rebounds, 4 steals, 10 assists, was second in scoring, but hit a buzzer beating, game winning three point heave from half court?

Point taken. Realistically speaking, the 17, 15, and 3 guy is going to have outperformed everybody else in nearly every game. If a guy did get 18 rebounds and 10 assists, I'd probably take him over the 17/15/3 guy regardless of that rebounding/passing machine's scoring or steals stats. But the likelihood of someone putting up 18 rebounds in the same game that a teammate gets 15 rebounds (assuming it isn't a 5-overtime game) has to be incredibly small. So, I think I can say with greater than 95% confidence that the 17/15/3 guy is going to get my vote in any game.

rsvman
01-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Amile was awesome, but I gave my vote to Jabari. Just a solid all-around game. So happy to have him performing at this level again.

OldSchool
01-23-2014, 05:04 PM
I'll take Amile, and you don't even have to give me the inch first.