Sept. 27: at Miami
Oct. 4: OPEN
Oct. 11: at Georgia Tech
Oct. 18: VIRGINIA
Oct. 25: OPEN
Nov. 1: at Pitt
Nov. 8: at Syracuse
Nov. 15: VIRGINIA TECH
Nov. 20: NORTH CAROLINA (Thursday, ESPN)
Nov. 29: WAKE FOREST

Olympic Fan
01-22-2014, 03:10 PM
Okay, just got the new schedule (should be up on goduke before I finish typing).

Elon on Aug 30, followed by at Troy, Kansas, Tulane and at Miami.

Then we get Oct 4 off before the game at Georgia Tech (that's a break), and Virginia at home.

Another week off (Oct. 25) then No. 1 at Pitt, at Syracuse then three home games to finish it off -- VPI, UNC on Thursday night Nov. 20 and Wake Nov. 29.

The best thing about the schedule is the week off before Georgia Tech (extra time to prepare for their option). The worst thing is the 5-day window before the UNC game. I haven't looked at their schedule, so I don't know if they are in the same fix.

Overall, I'd say it's frontloaded again -- four games Duke SHOULD win before the trip to Miami.

I love the three home games to finish.

Edit: darn ... Bob beat me to it!

CameronBornAndBred
01-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Aug. 30: ELON -- Win
Sept. 6: at Troy -- Win
Sept. 13: KANSAS -- Win
Sept. 20: TULANE -- Win
Sept. 27: at Miami -- Toss up/leaning to loss side
Oct. 11: at Georgia Tech -- Toss up/leaning to win side
Oct. 18: VIRGINIA --Win
Nov. 1: at Pitt -- Win....we will want this victory badly
Nov. 8: at Syracuse -- Close win, excellent road test
Nov. 15: VIRGINIA TECH -- Win
Nov. 20: NORTH CAROLINA (Thursday, ESPN) -- Win
Nov. 29: WAKE FOREST -- Win

Final record (regular season 11 - 1) once again playing in the ACC CG)
This is of course assuming we have an amazingly healthy year like we did this year.

Reilly
01-22-2014, 03:26 PM
...The worst thing is the 5-day window before the UNC game. ...

5-day window coming right after a most-probably-physical slugfest w/ VT, at that ....

Bob Green
01-22-2014, 03:27 PM
The worst thing is the 5-day window before the UNC game. I haven't looked at their schedule, so I don't know if they are in the same fix.

UNC hosts Pitt on November 15 so they have a 5-day window as well.

Ichabod Drain
01-22-2014, 03:29 PM
5-day window coming right after a most-probably-physical slugfest w/ VT, at that ....

UNC will only have five days as well comming off playing Pitt.

Bob Green
01-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Our bye weeks are opposite from last year when we had open dates prior to winnable home games (Navy & N.C. State). This year we have open dates prior to road games against teams who beat us at home in 2013 (Georgia Tech & Pitt). Perhaps the extra prep time will make the difference and result in wins for the good guys.

Dev11
01-22-2014, 03:34 PM
One thing I like is that we get open dates before each of the opponents we lost to in the regular season this year - Georgia Tech and Pittsburgh. Those are also the two division opponents that Cut has failed to beat so far. Hopefully we can get those wins this year.

The curse of the Thursday night exposure is the short turnaround, and we knew that was a possibility. Since UNC has to deal with it, too, it doesn't concern me as much, although our opponent before that game is tougher than theirs.

Edit: Bob made my point before I made my point. I still think it's a good point.

devildeac
01-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Aug. 30: ELON -- Win
Sept. 6: at Troy -- Win
Sept. 13: KANSAS -- Win
Sept. 20: TULANE -- Win
Sept. 27: at Miami -- Toss up/leaning to loss side
Oct. 11: at Georgia Tech -- Toss up/leaning to win side
Oct. 18: VIRGINIA --Win
Nov. 1: at Pitt -- Win....we will want this victory badly
Nov. 8: at Syracuse -- Close win, excellent road test
Nov. 15: VIRGINIA TECH -- Win
Nov. 20: NORTH CAROLINA (Thursday, ESPN) -- Win
Nov. 29: WAKE FOREST -- Win

Final record (regular season 11 - 1) once again playing in the ACC CG)
This is of course assuming we have an amazingly healthy year like we did this year.

14-0.

Sincerely,

Ozzie

(yes, I stole devildeac's sign in and password)

uh_no
01-22-2014, 04:24 PM
14-0.

Sincerely,

Ozzie

(yes, I stole devildeac's sign in and password)

*15-0

Dev11
01-22-2014, 04:29 PM
*15-0

That's 14-0 heading into the National Championship game.

Faustus
01-22-2014, 04:31 PM
Wow, no FSU or Clemson yet again. Or Lullville for that matter, as I guess they're in as of next fall. This is a pretty favorable schedule. No State (forever I gather after last season) or BC, but some pretty beatable teams on that schedule.

Dev11
01-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Wow, no FSU or Clemson yet again. Or Lullville for that matter, as I guess they're in as of next fall. This is a pretty favorable schedule. No State (forever I gather after last season) or BC, but some pretty beatable teams on that schedule.

Here (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/6/4/4395566/acc-football-schedule-rivalries-crossover) is the future schedule of ACC cross-divisional opponents through 2024, provided they don't get rid of divisions. Until they switch the setup, we will always play the Coastal, Wake, and the opponent listed on there in conference.

Dukehky
01-22-2014, 04:38 PM
This schedule is about as good as we could want. Don't we get to pick our bye week? I feel like we're usually coming off a bye before GT, not that it usually helps, maybe this year though!!!!

I see a 10-2 regular season again, realistically, could be a game better or worse, but still that's really solid. Even if we somehow managed to run the table and go into the ACC CG 12-0, we won't be in the national championship discussion because our schedule is so weak, and that FSU team is still pretty good apparently. Yeah that's right, Duke football in the national championship discussion pre-season. It's not super involved in the discussion, but we're there!!!!

Wander
01-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Wow, that is a ridiculously favorable schedule. Dream big guys.

Dev11
01-22-2014, 04:46 PM
This schedule is about as good as we could want. Don't we get to pick our bye week? I feel like we're usually coming off a bye before GT, not that it usually helps, maybe this year though!!!!

I see a 10-2 regular season again, realistically, could be a game better or worse, but still that's really solid. Even if we somehow managed to run the table and go into the ACC CG 12-0, we won't be in the national championship discussion because our schedule is so weak, and that FSU team is still pretty good apparently. Yeah that's right, Duke football in the national championship discussion pre-season. It's not super involved in the discussion, but we're there!!!!

In the new playoff system, more often than not the ACC Champion should be in the playoffs. Granted, that means besting FSU or Clemson, which we know isn't so easy.

Dukehky
01-22-2014, 06:05 PM
In the new playoff system, more often than not the ACC Champion should be in the playoffs. Granted, that means besting FSU or Clemson, which we know isn't so easy.

I completely forgot!!! Playoff. Nice, still don't think we're quite on the level of the Noles, but anything can happen. Gotta get there first though.

arnie
01-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Wow, that is a ridiculously favorable schedule. Dream big guys.

Even if we don't stay healthy and get relatively healthy opponents, 7-5 appears to be a fair projection. Several years ago, who would have guessed 3 consecutive bowl games for us? Course we still have to play the games.

devildeac
01-22-2014, 06:32 PM
*15-0

Even better! Get rid of the * then. I forgot about when the "playoff" started. Now we can get a pre-season vote from Spurrier and he won't be kidding this time. :D

bleudiable
01-22-2014, 06:52 PM
What about the fact that after slogging along on Raycom, ESPN3, ESPNU, and breaking into ESPN2, we not only get an ESPN game, but a Thursday night, and at home to boot. Recruiting GOLD!

throatybeard
01-23-2014, 01:19 AM

Assuming that the teams remain at their current strength (yes, yes, a stupid assumption, given that there has never been a Miami-FSU ACCCG as Mr Swofford tried to engineer), I still think the Pitt/Cuse expansion works in our favor, based on the information we have at this moment

This means we never have to play Clemson and Florida State twice in the same regular season. Every Atlantic team has to do so every year. Clemson and FSU both have coaches who seem to have those programs in really good spots. I think Dabo has put an end to this rut Clemson was in.

I'm aware that Pitt beat us this year, in Durham, barely, but ask yourself if you'd trade that three point loss for a game against Clemson or FSU with more injuries. Pitt's protecting us from games against Clemson and FSU.

In our division, Miami can't quite seem to get their act together, VT hasn't been as good as Beamer's best teams in a while, GT is tough but they're not a perennial top ten team, Carolina is probably about to get busted for another violation or something, and Virginia and Pitt don't terrify me. Obviously, things can and will change.

All hail the Swof division. Wolfies, we miss you. Enjoy the Ford division.

arnie
01-23-2014, 08:30 AM
Assuming that the teams remain at their current strength (yes, yes, a stupid assumption, given that there has never been a Miami-FSU ACCCG as Mr Swofford tried to engineer), I still think the Pitt/Cuse expansion works in our favor, based on the information we have at this moment

This means we never have to play Clemson and Florida State twice in the same regular season. Every Atlantic team has to do so every year. Clemson and FSU both have coaches who seem to have those programs in really good spots. I think Dabo has put an end to this rut Clemson was in.

I'm aware that Pitt beat us this year, in Durham, barely, but ask yourself if you'd trade that three point loss for a game against Clemson or FSU with more injuries. Pitt's protecting us from games against Clemson and FSU.

In our division, Miami can't quite seem to get their act together, VT hasn't been as good as Beamer's best teams in a while, GT is tough but they're not a perennial top ten team, Carolina is probably about to get busted for another violation or something, and Virginia and Pitt don't terrify me. Obviously, things can and will change.

All hail the Swof division. Wolfies, we miss you. Enjoy the Ford division.

For all the talk about the difficult Atlantic division ( from Pack fans) I recall last years record between divisions was tied. I haven't kept up with previous years, but I bet records between divisions are very close. I will concede its harder to win the Atlantic division now, but the middle of that division is very weak.

Faustus
01-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Throaty (and others), I realize my mind has been gradually going for a few years now, but hasn't Duke played FSU and Clemson both in the same season since the divisional alignment took place? I sure thought we had, but that easily could be my delusions...

(At least I don't suffer from the delusions rampant in Chapel Hill right now. That would be reason for concern.)

DU82
01-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Throaty (and others), I realize my mind has been gradually going for a few years now, but hasn't Duke played FSU and Clemson both in the same season since the divisional alignment took place? I sure thought we had, but that easily could be my delusions...

(At least I don't suffer from the delusions rampant in Chapel Hill right now. That would be reason for concern.)

Before this most recent season, teams played three teams from the other division, their permanent partner (Wake for us) and two others, plus five in division for eight conference games. With one more team in the division, and the Notre Dame factor canceling plans for playing nine conference games, we now play one other team from the Atlantic, meaning playing each team at home once every twelve years.

throatybeard
01-23-2014, 08:04 PM

I don't remember, but it was possible under the 5-1-2 format.

(Goes and looks)

2012, 2007, and 2005.

Faustus
01-23-2014, 08:40 PM
So, in short, we could well be playing Army, Navy, Northwestern and Tulane more often than NC State. Expansion is a very strange world.

devildeac
01-23-2014, 10:48 PM
Just in case anyone is planning a menu for the tailgate for that Thursday night game in mid-to-late November this year, I have a menu suggestion:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a5/b2/16/a5b216ffb732cd410ea149e68e720a58.jpg

Bon appetit!

Spoke
01-24-2014, 12:49 PM
The bad news:

Both Miami and Virginia Tech have a week off before they play Duke. Tough to beat a good team playing on two weeks' rest.

sagegrouse
05-12-2014, 04:07 PM
The vote was 8-6 (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10922297/acc-votes-keep-eight-game-conference-schedule). There is a compromise. At least one of the four non-conference games has to be against a team from a [wait for "term of art"] Power Conference. Notre Dame, which will play five ACC games every year, counts as such a game. (Well, being in the ACC, I guess it is a Power Conference member.)

Duvall
05-12-2014, 04:43 PM
The vote was 8-6 (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10922297/acc-votes-keep-eight-game-conference-schedule). There is a compromise. At least one of the four non-conference games has to be against a team from a [wait for "term of art"] Power Conference. Notre Dame, which will play five ACC games every year, counts as such a game. (Well, being in the ACC, I guess it is a Power Conference member.)

Thanks to upcoming series with Northwestern and Baylor, Duke should be set on this requirement through 2018.

CameronBornAndBred
05-12-2014, 04:49 PM
That is a same approach the SEC took with their schedule; ND will be sought after by both conferences.

Duvall
05-12-2014, 05:10 PM
That is a same approach the SEC took with their schedule; ND will be sought after by both conferences.

Notre Dame is already playing five ACC games each season. Not sure how much room they'll have for SEC opponents, or how many SEC teams will be looking for a series with them.

OldPhiKap
05-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Notre Dame is already playing five ACC games each season. Not sure how much room they'll have for SEC opponents, or how many SEC teams will be looking for a series with them.

UGa, USC, and UF already have state rival games with ACC teams. Louisville and KY may have one too, not sure.

Of course, UF is lobbying for Georgia Southern to be considered a major team. So there's that.

Class of '94
05-12-2014, 06:56 PM
UGa, USC, and UF already have state rival games with ACC teams. Louisville and KY may have one too, not sure.

Of course, UF is lobbying for Georgia Southern to be considered a major team. So there's that.
Louisville - KY is a state rivalry game that is played every year; so Louisville already fulfills that requirement. Since ND is committed to play 5 ACC games each year, it's the SEC teams that do not already have arrangements with ND or an ACC team that will be pressed to find suitable match-ups. Of course, SEC and ACC teams are not limited to playing each other to fulfill the requirement; but I think it could give the ACC more credibility if it had more teams playing SEC teams in the non-conference, assuming the ACC wins its fair share of games.

CameronBornAndBred
05-13-2014, 12:09 PM
A good look at Duke's (and other ACC schools') options. Duke is in good shape for the foreseeable future, Wake and State are not.

http://www.bcinterruption.com/acc-football-schedule-nine-game-conference-schedule/2014/5/13/5711326/acc-football-schedule-model-eight-games-non-conference-strength-of-schedule

CameronBornAndBred
05-14-2014, 10:22 AM
How about we play the Wuffies as a non-conference game? Sound impossible? It might not be.

Because of the eight-game league schedule, non-primary crossover rivals in the Atlantic and Coastal divisions may only play each other once in an 11-year span. This prompted discussion at the ACC spring meetings about playing other ACC teams as nonconference opponents in future seasons. Some possible future ACC "nonconference" games could pit Miami (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2390/miami-fl-hurricanes) vs.Syracuse (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/syr/syracuse-orange), Duke (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/duke/duke-blue-devils) vs. NC State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/152/north-carolina-state-wolfpack) or Clemson Tigers (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/clem/clemson-tigers)vs. Virginia Cavaliers (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/uva/virginia-cavaliers).
"Everything's on the table," Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross said.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10930219/some-acc-teams-consider-fulfilling-future-nonconference-obligations-playing-other-acc-teams

Dev11
05-14-2014, 10:54 AM
How about we play the Wuffies as a non-conference game? Sound impossible? It might not be.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10930219/some-acc-teams-consider-fulfilling-future-nonconference-obligations-playing-other-acc-teams

It sounds silly up front, but I like any extra games we get that only require bus rides and are against similarly talented teams, and it keeps the old rivalries going. Much more productive than an extra game against Tulane or Memphis

killerleft
05-14-2014, 12:44 PM

Not playing NC State every year has been very disappointing. Duke should push hard to get Duke-State back to, at worst, an almost-annual event. I think DeVon Edwards is with us on this!:D

No NC State on the menu is unnatural!

Bob Green
05-22-2014, 05:11 AM
Game times for four games have been announced:

Aug 30: Elon 6:00 pm
Sep 6: @ Troy 7:00 pm
Sep 13: Kansas 3:30 pm
Nov 20: Carolina 7:30 pm

Elon kicking off at 6:00 pm allows fans to avoid the blazing midday sun and start the season correctly with an all day tailgate!

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Matt Fortuna is doing a series of "Toughest Stretches", and has Duke's up.

Our toughest is, according to him, @ Syracuse then our two home games with VT and the heels. Not much to argue against there; at least those last two are in WW.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/71001/toughest-stretch-duke