PDA

View Full Version : Chapel Hill beat Clem's Son

hurleyfor3
01-20-2014, 10:19 PM
You can't jinx a team that's already jinxed.

Duvall
01-20-2014, 10:22 PM

SOON:

"Who could have predicted that a bench-clearing brawl against Pittsburgh Tuesday night would force the ACC to suspend every Clemson scholarship player for the UNC game?"

OldPhiKap
01-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Oh please please please please please please please please please!

BD80
01-20-2014, 10:29 PM
SOON:

"Who could have predicted that a bench-clearing brawl against Pittsburgh Tuesday night would force the ACC to suspend every Clemson scholarship player for the UNC game?"

After playing Pitt, playing unc will be like a walk in tall cotton.

devildeac
01-20-2014, 10:32 PM
If, Clemson beats the cheaters, I may drive over from Raleigh and rush the court.

Notice, I said "if."

I think I'm pretty safe.

Dev11
01-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Clemson has this in the bag. Start printing commemorative t-shirts that you can put on immediately after you've all jumped into the lake naked, Tiger faithful.

OldPhiKap
01-20-2014, 10:58 PM
Clemson has this in the bag. Start printing commemorative t-shirts that you can put on immediately after you've all jumped into the lake naked, Tiger faithful.

You understand that if this does not come to pass, we will all accuse you of ruining Christmas and hating both puppies and children, right?

Bold call, hope you are right!

Dev11
01-20-2014, 11:03 PM
You understand that if this does not come to pass, we will all accuse you of ruining Christmas and hating both puppies and children, right?

Bold call, hope you are right!

I'm just rolling with the OP's theme, here, man.

Also, I'm a non-Christian single dude with no pets. I have no feelings on Christmas, puppies, or children.

-jk
01-20-2014, 11:19 PM
Yeah: there's a malevolent force that's been at play for decades which is far more powerful than anything we could hope to conjure up here.

-jk

OldPhiKap
01-20-2014, 11:20 PM
I'm just rolling with the OP's theme, here, man.

Also, I'm a non-Christian single dude with no pets. I have no feelings on Christmas, puppies, or children.

Hell hath no fury like a child-laden, zealot animal owner scorned!

Or my wife.

Actually, the wrath of Hell is far less fearsome than the wrath of my wife.

Wait . . . .

What were we talking about?

Oh, yeah.

Go to Hell Carolina!!!!

ice-9
01-20-2014, 11:23 PM
I really think this is the year. I really really really think so.

Really.

OK, maybe.

Hopefully.

...Probably not.

Dev11
01-20-2014, 11:25 PM
Yeah: there's a malevolent force that's been at play for decades which is far more powerful than anything we could hope to conjure up here.

-jk

As soon as Duke is ahead of Miami in ACC Football Championship game appearances, Clemson can win in the Dean Dome, or something to that effect.

gofurman
01-20-2014, 11:31 PM
Hell hath no fury like a child-laden, zealot animal owner scorned!

Or my wife.

Actually, the wrath of Hell is far less fearsome than the wrath of my wife.

Wait . . . .

What were we talking about?

Oh, yeah.

Go to Hell Carolina!!!!

Please Clemson - go tigers! Brownll gets a lot out of the talent he has. I really feel he does. I was personally at the duke Clemson game. They play nasty D. Nasty. All those top 300 recruits (on,y one or two top 100 level) and they play as a team with Great D intensity. Found a diamond in the rough in KJ McDaniels. Dude is a freak athlete. The problem here is matchups ^*+. Look who is the only team to beat Clemson in the ACC. Tall and long... FSU. Clemson can't deal with enormous size. FSU manhandles the Tigers at Littlejohn. UNC has a lot of big bodies to throw at Clemson. Clemson has a shot when you look just at scores but its a bad matchup unfortunately. FSU is big at all positions. UNC is not as big on the perimeter at least... I don't think they are anyway. I think FSU is biggest team in acc pretty much very year

Go tigers. Get em

weezie
01-20-2014, 11:31 PM
I really think this is the year. I really really really think so.
Really.
OK, maybe.

Just ponder the magnitude of scaredyness over on IC. The bluster...the nail biting...the windbaggery. :eek:

burnspbesq
01-20-2014, 11:39 PM
Is this the year that Klemnop finally gets to streak down Franklin Street?

crimsonandblue
01-20-2014, 11:40 PM
This seems like tempting fate.

I miss the weaufgods, or however it was spelled.

OldPhiKap
01-20-2014, 11:44 PM

Exactly.

I'll go ahead and say it: Carolina wins. Probably comfortably.

hurleyfor3
01-20-2014, 11:52 PM

We're an Internet message board. Talking about basketball is why we exist. Although I am flattered a Kansas fan cares so much about Duke people discussing unc vs. Clemson :) (Can we get Kentucky involved somehow?)

No one here seems to be going Joe Namath and hitting on Suzy Kolber guaranteeing a win.

Edouble
01-21-2014, 03:28 AM
We're an Internet message board. Talking about basketball is why we exist. Although I am flattered a Kansas fan cares so much about Duke people discussing unc vs. Clemson :) (Can we get Kentucky involved somehow?)

No one here seems to be going Joe Namath and hitting on Suzy Kolber guaranteeing a win.

I'll guarantee a win for the 'Heels. The one nugget they have left after D'Oh ruined all of their precious streaks is this.

If the UNC team that played up against MSU shows up for Clemson, the 'Heels cruise to a comfortable victory.

This ain't the year.

sporthenry
01-21-2014, 06:48 AM
Well from a standings perspective, and whatever that entails in the new ACC, wouldn't it be better for Duke if Clemson loses? Kenpom has them at 11-7 with a loss @UNC while Duke is at 12-8. Clemson would have the H2H tiebreaker and that could easily be the difference between a first round bye or not.

oldnavy
01-21-2014, 07:03 AM
Well from a standings perspective, and whatever that entails in the new ACC, wouldn't it be better for Duke if Clemson loses? Kenpom has them at 11-7 with a loss @UNC while Duke is at 12-8. Clemson would have the H2H tiebreaker and that could easily be the difference between a first round bye or not.

Maybe, but I'd rather have the pleasure of watching another UNC streak come to an end. For some reason, the UNC fans that I know really enjoy the fact that Clemson hasn't won in CH. They actually place a fair amount of importance on it. I find it slightly interesting... in one of those ways where you go "hummm..." when someone tells you, not fascinating in the way you would go "WOW, Really?"

I guess it is all they have to hold onto as far as longstanding streaks go... but never losing to Clemson at home, who let's face it, has not been exactly the cream of the ACC is just not that awe inspiring to me.

OldPhiKap
01-21-2014, 07:23 AM
"The streak" is one of the last things Carolina fans can grasp to salvage an otherwise brutal year. Things will get really ugly at the hump dump if Clemson wins.

I am guess ingot hat Clemson will actually be favored? Odd times indeed.

Reilly
01-21-2014, 08:00 AM
... I am guess ingot hat Clemson will actually be favored? ...

I'm going with the Tigahs in gold hats. Maybe Roy will try to counter with the top hat?

MChambers
01-21-2014, 08:01 AM
I can't believe there is a thread on this. Folks, UNC will win. It is preordained.

I'm mad at all of you for even bringing this up. You all must hate puppies and little children.

I'd be happy to contribute to Klemnop's defense fund, but it won't be necessary.

devildeac
01-21-2014, 08:23 AM
If Clemson didn't win at the dump this year, I'm not convinced they're ever going to win there.

http://www.tarheeltimes.com/schedulebasketball-2001.aspx

Cheaters by a baker's dozen. And they hang a banner.

Roy gets in the dadgum post-MLK/pre-President's Day spirit.

Klemnop
01-21-2014, 08:34 AM
I can't believe there is a thread on this. Folks, UNC will win. It is preordained.

I'm mad at all of you for even bringing this up. You all must hate puppies and little children.

I'd be happy to contribute to Klemnop's defense fund, but it won't be necessary.

Remember, the basic principle of the guarantee is that I was convinced TWENTY FIVE YEARS AGO after my first visit to The Dean Dome that Clemson would never, ever, never, ever, never win there. Thus I made the most outrageous promise I could conceive. I have never once sweat it since. I'm not sweating it now. I don't expect to ever sweat it in the future.

As I have said many times before - at this point I don't want the streak to end. 1-for-whatever is almost more pathetic than 0-for-forever. 0-for-forever is cool. It's interesting. It has some guts to it. I mean, I've been married for 20 years. Every year around this time I mention to my wife that Clemson has never won in Chapel Hill. Every year she says, "Never? You mean, like, NEVER?" Every year she is surprised. So how does the conversation go next year if Clemson wins this year? It's not fun anymore.

Besides if Clemson ever ended the streak I wouldn't have a reason to hop on DBR at least once a year. :)

Klem

-jk
01-21-2014, 08:54 AM

I don't know who sold his soul when, but the mojo on Clemson @ unc is way beyond the powers of the weaux gods. History has shown this over and over again.

The trick is predicting just how Clemson collapses this year. Duvall suggested a bench clearing brawl and suspensions.

-jk

OldPhiKap
01-21-2014, 08:55 AM
I don't know who sold his soul when, but the mojo on Clemson @ unc is way beyond the powers of the weaux gods. History has shown this over and over again.

The trick is predicting just how Clemson collapses this year. Duvall suggested a bench clearing brawl and suspensions.

-jk

Oh, oh, can I suggest that too?!?

Dev11
01-21-2014, 09:04 AM

-jk

Tomorrow, a group of South Carolina fans are going to uncover a wealth of documents that reveal that the Clemson basketball team, and maybe even the Clemson football team, are full of students taking fake classes that don't require attendance, and that department chairpeople are in cahoots with the athletic department to steer athletes into these classes. The issue will be brought all the way to the university president and the NCAA compliance office, which will quickly and efficiently connect all of the dots and issue a reasonable punishment upon the program: losses of scholarships, postseason bans, etc. Most of Clemson's rotation will be suspended for the UNC game and the walk-ons will mount an impressive comeback in the second half, losing by one point as Marcus Paige rattles in a three at the buzzer to win it for UNC. Because they came closer than any previous Clemson team to beating UNC in Chapel Hill, the team of backups will receive commemorative rings and Clemson will put up billboards to note their accomplishments.

Native
01-21-2014, 09:08 AM

+1. We had such a good thing going here!

Clempson will Clempson things up — of this I have no doubt.

Troublemaker
01-21-2014, 10:56 AM
Heels by double digits. Can't see any other possibility. Seriously.

Troublemaker
01-21-2014, 11:44 AM

No, imo. If Duke is in a position to be tied with Clemson at the end of the conference season, then something has gone wrong with our season, in which case I would still rather have Clemson beat UNC in the Dean Dome than have the first round bye or whatever else is lost.

Now, later on in the conference season or in the ACCT, if UNC is pretty much guaranteed to be out of the NCAAT, there might be some interesting rooting situations where I might root for the Heels against UVA, Pitt, and Syracuse for example. But for now, it's better for Duke if UNC loses. It almost always is.

CDu
01-21-2014, 12:01 PM
No, imo. If Duke is in a position to be tied with Clemson at the end of the conference season, then something has gone wrong with our season, in which case I would still rather have Clemson beat UNC in the Dean Dome than have the first round bye or whatever else is lost.

Now, later on in the conference season or in the ACCT, if UNC is pretty much guaranteed to be out of the NCAAT, there might be some interesting rooting situations where I might root for the Heels against UVA, Pitt, and Syracuse for example. But for now, it's better for Duke if UNC loses. It almost always is.

I agree. It is WAY too early to be worrying about seeding for the ACC tourney. And that is especially true with regard to worry about our status in comparison to Clemson.

Remember: Clemson is 4-1 so far, but three of those wins came against the bottom-feeders of the ACC. They are 1-1 against decent-to-good ACC teams, and both of those games were played in Littlejohn. They still have to play @FSU, @Syracuse, Pitt twice, and vs UVa.

Don't cheer for UNC to win until we have to do so. Until then, always pull for the other guy. Always.

brevity
01-21-2014, 12:06 PM

Even though I've spoken out in the past against upset alert threads, I was thinking of starting a Clemson-UNC pregame thread myself.

The problem, as I see it, is the thread that starts "Hey, check it out, it's early but UNC's losing by 11 points" during a game. Those kill me. The writer should already know (from DBR experience or, you know, life experience) that no first-half lead against UNC is ever safe. Ever. Kansas could be beating them 40-12 in the national semifinal, and the Heels will still pull within 4. That's what they do.

But pregame threads are totally fair. I like to think we don't make them for non-Duke games because we have enough to talk about, and we probably don't want to document our filthy obsession with Carolina's season. But Clemson-UNC is different. It is, or should be, circled on the calendar of every ACC fan. It is history in the making. It is death and taxes. We should be discussing this game. (Well, we should start. gofurman made the only post discussing the merits of the game.)

I have a dirty secret personal superstition when it comes to Carolina's fortunes -- which I want to share but can't -- and I totally will be obeying it this weekend for Clemson's benefit. I doubt it will work for them, as it never has before...

UNC will absolutely win this game, unless they don't.

oldnavy
01-21-2014, 12:11 PM
I'm going way out on a limb and say Clemson by 12....

I don't see a lot in UNC's tank right now... it is just a "feeling".

Kedsy
01-21-2014, 12:12 PM
Don't cheer for UNC to win until we have to do so.

I'm confused. Absent guns to heads and that sort of thing, when would we ever "have to" root for UNC?

I tried to root for Carolina once. It lasted about 30 seconds and I won't make that mistake again.

MChambers
01-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Even though I've spoken out in the past against upset alert threads, I was thinking of starting a Clemson-UNC pregame thread myself.

The problem, as I see it, is the thread that starts "Hey, check it out, it's early but UNC's losing by 11 points" during a game. Those kill me. The writer should already know (from DBR experience or, you know, life experience) that no first-half lead against UNC is ever safe. Ever. Kansas could be beating them 40-12 in the national semifinal, and the Heels will still pull within 4. That's what they do.

But pregame threads are totally fair. I like to think we don't make them for non-Duke games because we have enough to talk about, and we probably don't want to document our filthy obsession with Carolina's season. But Clemson-UNC is different. It is, or should be, circled on the calendar of every ACC fan. It is history in the making. It is death and taxes. We should be discussing this game. (Well, we should start. gofurman made the only post discussing the merits of the game.)

I have a dirty secret personal superstition when it comes to Carolina's fortunes -- which I want to share but can't -- and I totally will be obeying it this weekend for Clemson's benefit. I doubt it will work for them, as it never has before...

UNC will absolutely win this game, unless they don't.
Every year, or at least since the introduction of the unbalanced schedule every year Clemson plays in Chappa Heeya, someone here asks if it could be the year the Streak ends. And it never does.

Therefore, all of you and your precessors in similar threads are responsible. Statistics don't lie.

CDu
I'm confused. Absent guns to heads and that sort of thing, when would we ever "have to" root for UNC?

I tried to root for Carolina once. It lasted about 30 seconds and I won't make that mistake again.

Excellent point. Notice I didn't specify what qualifies as "have to." :)

I'm not sure I've ever cheered for UNC, so I may not even know what scenario would constitute a "have to" scenario.

flyingdutchdevil

Duke is 14-4 in the ACC. Syracuse is 14-3. Duke won both head-to-head battles between the two. 'Cus faces UNC, who has a record of 1-16.

Who do you root for?

CDu
01-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Duke is 14-4 in the ACC. Syracuse is 14-3. Duke won both head-to-head battles between the two. 'Cus faces UNC, who has a record of 1-16.

Who do you root for?

Haven't people on DBR (not necessarily you, but plenty of folks) consistently made the argument that the regular season championship doesn't matter? If so, that should answer your question. Pull for the 'Cuse. Then, let's beat the 'Cuse for a third time in the ACC title game.

Duvall
01-21-2014, 12:16 PM

Who do you root for?

Syracuse, obviously. It's not like the ACC championship is at stake.

hurleyfor3
01-21-2014, 12:20 PM

Who do you root for?

First off, it's whom do you root for.

Secondly, that scenario could only happen if both Duke/unc games have been played and the last game of the ACC regular season is Cuse/unc. Which could only happen if the Carrier Dome roof collapsed and they had to reschedule the game or something.

Still, I'd root for the Cuse.

flyingdutchdevil
01-21-2014, 12:22 PM
Haven't people on DBR (not necessarily you, but plenty of folks) consistently made the argument that the regular season championship doesn't matter? If so, that should answer your question. Pull for the 'Cuse. Then, let's beat the 'Cuse for a third time in the ACC title game.

I may be one of the few people who thinks the ACC Reg. Season Championship matters (I know, I know... it's not really a championship). As much as I like the ACC Tourney, I like the body of work for 3 months compared to 4 days. To me, that matters. I don't like Kerlina, but I'd root for them.

Troublemaker
01-21-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm going way out on a limb and say Clemson by 12....

I don't see a lot in UNC's tank right now... it is just a "feeling".

They'll have a lot in the tank on Sunday, though, imo. UNC has 5 days to prepare. They know the NCAAT is in serious jeopardy but this Clemson streak is one thing they can preserve this season. They're going to throw the kitchen sink at Clemson. The UNC fans seem to care about the streak, too, as you noted above. They'll be more active than usual. And regardless of their struggles so far, UNC still has more talent than Clemson. More talented team, very motivated, at home in front of a more amped crowd than usual. I hope you're right, but I see UNC by double digits.

flyingdutchdevil
01-21-2014, 12:23 PM

Secondly, that scenario could only happen if both Duke/unc games have been played and the last game of the ACC regular season is Cuse/unc. Which could only happen if the Carrier Dome roof collapsed and they had to reschedule the game or something.

Still, I'd root for the Cuse.

I should have wrote (or is it written?) 'super hypothetically speaking'... ;)

DBR - a first class education in grammar. Love it.

-jk
01-21-2014, 12:25 PM

If you're going all pedantic, try: "for whom do you root..."

;)

-jk

CDu
01-21-2014, 12:26 PM

If we're going to get technical, it's "for whom do you root?" and not "whom do you root for?"

Edit: doh! JK beat me to the punch.

hurleyfor3
01-21-2014, 12:29 PM
"No ending sentences with prepositions" has never been a rule. Nominative/objective is hard and fast. I did mangle the subjunctive, which neither of you took notice of.

I taught GMAT prep for three years. This is something you should not argue with me over.

Kedsy
01-21-2014, 12:32 PM

Who do you root for?

Forget the English lesson and the impossibility of the scheduling, and I'll also agree with you that the regular season ACC title is worth obtaining and is something I want Duke to win.

I'd still root for Syracuse in your example. Or, more accurately, I'd still root against UNC.

CDu
01-21-2014, 12:43 PM
I may be one of the few people who thinks the ACC Reg. Season Championship matters (I know, I know... it's not really a championship). As much as I like the ACC Tourney, I like the body of work for 3 months compared to 4 days. To me, that matters. I don't like Kerlina, but I'd root for them.

I completely agree with you that the ACC regular season championship is a meaningful accomplishment. And, like Kedsy, I'd STILL root for Syracuse in that scenario.

brevity
01-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Every year, or at least since the introduction of the unbalanced schedule every year Clemson plays in Chappa Heeya, someone here asks if it could be the year the Streak ends. And it never does.

Therefore, all of you and your precessors in similar threads are responsible. Statistics don't lie.

Let's be honest here. That question comes up EVERY YEAR. Half of the time the answer is "Not a chance. Clemson doesn't play in Chapel Hill this season."

Who do you root for?

The hypothetical above does not work because, as Kedsy pointed out, the ACC regular season would never end with a Syracuse-UNC game. But you could play around with the idea -- maybe a 1-15 UNC team plays 13-3 Syracuse, with Duke at 13-4 and favored by tiebreaker.

Watch as impartially as possible to see who loses. Syracuse losing is a good thing for Duke's shot at a 1st place finish. UNC losing is also a good thing, though not particularly helpful to Duke (as the 2nd place finisher and as UNC's next opponent).

You all do realize it is possible to watch a college basketball game without a rooting interest, right? Or at least mildly competing interests? Like, I don't know, the majority of NCAA Tournament games where you've picked the favorite in your bracket, but the underdog is so darn endearing? If we were all truly unilateral in our interests, we'd pick Wisconsin to lose in the first round every year.

gus
01-21-2014, 01:03 PM
"No ending sentences with prepositions" has never been a rule. Nominative/objective is hard and fast. I did mangle the subjunctive, which neither of you took notice of.

Way to go Hurley, ruining the subjunctive mood.

moonpie23
01-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Don't cheer for UNC to win until we have to do so.

i am not grasping this….please explain...

Trinity_93
01-21-2014, 01:16 PM

Who do you root for?

Whenever UNC plays I always root for the college team.

Bluedog
01-21-2014, 01:20 PM
I am guess ingot hat Clemson will actually be favored? Odd times indeed.

Kenpom has UNC with a 60% chance of winning - and a 2 point victory as the projected margin...While I'm hopeful after watching UNC against UVa, definitely not a gimme from Clemson's perspective.

wsb3
01-21-2014, 01:27 PM

Blasphemy.. ;)

Troublemaker
01-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Kenpom has UNC with a 60% chance of winning - and a 2 point victory as the projected margin...While I'm hopeful after watching UNC against UVa, definitely not a gimme from Clemson's perspective.

Yeah, and my guess at the Vegas line would be UNC -4.5 right now. If Clemson looks pitiful tonight against Pitt, maybe more. If they somehow upset Pitt, maybe less.

OldPhiKap
01-21-2014, 01:32 PM
DBR grammar lessons, in a nutshell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbI-fDzUJXI

(parts may be mildly NSFW, don't remember).

GGLC
01-21-2014, 01:42 PM

Who do you root for?

Syracuse, Syracuse, Syracuse, Syracuse, Syracuse.

I will never root for Carolina in any game in any context under any circumstances.

BD80
01-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Tomorrow, a group of South Carolina fans are going to uncover a wealth of documents that reveal that the Clemson basketball team, and maybe even the Clemson football team, are full of students taking fake classes that don't require attendance, ...

You mean those summer school classes they took in chapel hill ...

Who do you root for?

I root for unc to be 1-17, and that they are finally held accountable for their cheating and have to forfeit the one win.

bbq-devil
01-21-2014, 02:16 PM
A wise man does not chatter with one whose mind is sick.
Sophocles

There is no good reason to pull for UNC.....ever.

Hope the streak goes up in flames this weekend!

Matches
01-21-2014, 02:41 PM
UNC will win comfortably.

People act as if Clemson is snakebitten in CH. That's not the case. Clemson is frickin' TERRIBLE in CH. Come Sunday they will do their best impression of a bunch of dudes who have never played basketball before. Because that's what they do in CH.

I can think of only a handful of times this game has even been close. It's not as if Clemson has lost under weird or unusual circumstances. They get annihilated in this game pretty much all the time. Usually UNC has just had the better team, but even when Clemson has been better, they have played like garbage in this game.

UNC had a glorious and completely awesome season where they won 8 games and lost 20, and even in that year they managed to beat Clemson. False hope is just the worst. UNC is Lucy holding the football for Clemson's Charlie Brown, pulling it away at the last second and probably then using it to miss a free throw badly. Don't fall for it.

hudlow
01-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Clemson ain't got a chance.

They don't even need to show up.

(one thing for sure, I bet Carolina smack talking before this game has been advised against.)

Kfanarmy
01-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Tomorrow, a group of South Carolina fans are going to uncover a wealth of documents that reveal that the Clemson basketball team, and maybe even the Clemson football team, are full of students taking fake classes that don't require attendance, and that department chairpeople are in cahoots with the athletic department to steer athletes into these classes. The issue will be brought all the way to the university president and the NCAA compliance office, which will quickly and efficiently connect all of the dots and issue a reasonable punishment upon the program: losses of scholarships, postseason bans, etc. Most of Clemson's rotation will be suspended for the UNC game and the walk-ons will mount an impressive comeback in the second half, losing by one point as Marcus Paige rattles in a three at the buzzer to win it for UNC. Because they came closer than any previous Clemson team to beating UNC in Chapel Hill, the team of backups will receive commemorative rings and Clemson will put up billboards to note their accomplishments. come on now, get real!

oldnavy
01-21-2014, 05:41 PM
They'll have a lot in the tank on Sunday, though, imo. UNC has 5 days to prepare. They know the NCAAT is in serious jeopardy but this Clemson streak is one thing they can preserve this season. They're going to throw the kitchen sink at Clemson. The UNC fans seem to care about the streak, too, as you noted above. They'll be more active than usual. And regardless of their struggles so far, UNC still has more talent than Clemson. More talented team, very motivated, at home in front of a more amped crowd than usual. I hope you're right, but I see UNC by double digits.

IF I had and I mean HAD to bet, I'd bet on UNC...

But, I am not so sure about the talent gap... Clemson isn't a bad team... they seem to have more confidence than I am seeing from UNC, and confidence is a fickle beast, if you have it you can be much better than you would be without it, but if you don't have it, it is hard to capture, especially after playing like garbage...

UNC may be motivated, but honestly they should have been motivated at UVA, but I didn't see it...

I'm sticking with my prediction... :confused:

devildeac
01-21-2014, 05:53 PM
The famous Clemson @ unc trick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk1pOUb8a_g

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=play+dead+trick&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=E0E3383A6779A259CB6CE0E3383A6779A259CB6C

Newton_14
01-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Syracuse, obviously. It's not like the ACC championship is at stake.
Ditto
What Duvall said.
Didn't even have to think about.

There is no scenario where I pull for unc to win an athletic competition. Dream up all the hypotheticals one could come up with, my answer remains the same. 9F all day everyday.

-jk
01-21-2014, 06:13 PM
Ditto
What Duvall said.
Didn't even have to think about.

There is no scenario where I pull for unc to win an athletic competition. Dream up all the hypotheticals one could come up with, my answer remains the same. 9F all day everyday.

"Let's Go Soviets!" (Clap clap clap-clap-clap)

(Proving I'm getting too old for this stuff.)

-jk

throatybeard
01-21-2014, 09:09 PM
I wonder how Roy Williams feels about Australia Day.

OldPhiKap
01-21-2014, 09:18 PM
I wonder how Roy Williams feels about Australia Day.

Did you know that if the Tar Heels played in Australia, their season would flush counter-clockwise down the toilet?

True.

roywhite
01-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Clemson currently laying an egg on the road vs Pitt.

Pitt 46 Clemson 24 about 4 minutes into the second half.

They don't resemble the team that we played down in Tiger-town. They're quite capable of playing badly in Chapel Hill, too.

-jk
01-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Clemson currently laying an egg on the road vs Pitt.

Pitt 46 Clemson 24 about 4 minutes into the second half.

They don't resemble the team that we played down in Tiger-town. They're quite capable of playing badly in Chapel Hill, too.

"Capable?" Predictable... (Bloody mojo!)

-jk

Troublemaker
01-21-2014, 09:37 PM
I think this embarrassing performance at Pitt improves Clemson's chances on Sunday (although I still don't like their odds overall). A little bit more pressure on UNC to win, a little bit less on Clemson.

lotusland
01-21-2014, 09:40 PM

Who do you root for?

If the US and China were tied in Olympic medals and the Chinese were competing in the last event with say North Korea, Iran, Al Quaida, etc....
That's the best analogy I can come up with at the moment.

Anyway to congrats 'Cuse for their regular season championship and 9F!

flyingdutchdevil
01-21-2014, 10:56 PM
If the US and China were tied in Olympic medals and the Chinese were competing in the last event with say North Korea, Iran, Al Quaida, etc....
That's the best analogy I can come up with at the moment.

Anyway to congrats 'Cuse for their regular season championship and 9F!

Firstly, amazing analogy.

Secondly, I have one huge issue with the analogy. Shouldn't China be replaced with, say, Brazil? A fairly likable country that makes noise from time to time? Syracuse is a likable team but they aren't a behemoth; they're more like Brazil, no?

Thirdly, Al Qaeda isn't a country. Can we replace it with Germany? I am Dutch, after all.

oldnavy
01-22-2014, 08:47 AM
I think this embarrassing performance at Pitt improves Clemson's chances on Sunday (although I still don't like their odds overall). A little bit more pressure on UNC to win, a little bit less on Clemson.

Yea, not sure how this will affect the UNC game. I still think Clemson has a pretty decent shot at UNC this year. This may have been a "trap" game for Clemson, although Pitt is pretty darn good this year. Clemson, may have been looking past them to the game Saturday.... who knows??

Maybe some Tiger fans can send Roy press clippings from PJ's D-League games... so he will be all bubbly and dreamy eyed over how PJ was the best practice player ever and how they could have been a contender with him this year... I wonder if Roy is posting the clippings on the locker room bulletin board as inspiration to the rest of the team?

throatybeard
01-25-2014, 03:21 PM
I'd pay ten a year for the rest of my life to see this happen.

OldPhiKap
01-25-2014, 03:24 PM
I'd pay ten a year for the rest of my life to see this happen.

I'll give all of my Bitcoins to IPTAY too.

Indoor66
01-25-2014, 05:47 PM
We are all Tigers tomorrow afternoon. GTHC. GO TIGERS. GTHC.

Dev11
01-26-2014, 03:56 AM
Hey, get focused, today is the first day of the rest of ACC basketball history. Hold that Tiger!

OldPhiKap
01-26-2014, 08:32 AM
Game day! LGC!

chaosmage
01-26-2014, 09:09 AM
Game day! LGCL!

Fixed. LGC can mean two things -- Wouldn't want anyone to wake up at 5:30 (like me) and think you'd switched your allegiances. :p

Troublemaker
01-26-2014, 09:46 AM
FYI, UNC is a 7.5-pt favorite. GTHC

devildeac
01-26-2014, 09:52 AM

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Have they hung an "Undefeated by Clemson banner in The Dean Dome" banner yet?
Love, Ima

roywhite
01-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Have they hung an "Undefeated by Clemson banner in The Dean Dome" banner yet?
Love, Ima

Good point, Ima.

Perhaps UNC will be reduced to this following the season:
Yeah, we finished 4-14 in the ACC
Yeah, we have a ton of scholarship athletes who can barely read
Yeah, the Carolina Way has been shown to be a fraud
Yeah, we have a basketball coach in need of therapy
But....we still beat Clemson

bbosbbos
01-26-2014, 11:51 AM
I am a Tiger today, beat Tar Hill cheaters. Go Tigers.

Duke_92
01-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Going to the game and hoping to witness history! Go Tigers.

OldPhiKap
01-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Fixed. LGC can mean two things -- Wouldn't want anyone to wake up at 5:30 (like me) and think you'd switched your allegiances. :p

Thanks for having my back.

Of course, GTH,C can only mean one thing!

roywhite
01-26-2014, 05:24 PM
Listened to some of the pre-game on the UNC radio network as I was out this afternoon. Despite his claims, Ole Roy seems to have a strange way of not throwing players under the bus.

He was talking about Brice Johnson, and to paraphrase:
I love this kid to death and he's going to be a fine player. He needs to get stronger and play harder. When he came here, his work ethic, on the scale of 1-10 was a zero. Now, his work ethic is about a 3 or 4; you could ask him about this. Like I said, I think he'll be a fine player; I just hope it's in my lifetime.

Similar "kind" words about Leslie McDonald.

Stress level appears high in light blue land.

duketaylor
01-26-2014, 05:42 PM
I'm in for donating to IPTAY once the streak ends, hopefully very soon. Needs to be done as a DBR group thing (hence, a sizeable chunk that can't be mistaken for anything else except thankful Duke fans) and let's hope that begins about 8PM tonight!! GO TIGERS!!

chaosmage
01-26-2014, 05:44 PM
Can we open up the chat page for the game? :-P

Henderson
01-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Listened to some of the pre-game on the UNC radio network as I was out this afternoon. Despite his claims, Ole Roy seems to have a strange way of not throwing players under the bus.

He was talking about Brice Johnson, and to paraphrase:
I love this kid to death and he's going to be a fine player. He needs to get stronger and play harder. When he came here, his work ethic, on the scale of 1-10 was a zero. Now, his work ethic is about a 3 or 4; you could ask him about this. Like I said, I think he'll be a fine player; I just hope it's in my lifetime.

Similar "kind" words about Leslie McDonald.

Stress level appears high in light blue land.

So Roy recruited a player that had zero work ethic. Then, in almost 2 years of coaching has gotten him up to a 3 or 4 on a 10-scale for work ethic? What an incredible motivator Roy is.

But, yeah, the oddest thing is the public trash-talking of his own players right before a game. I wonder what his pre-game locker room pep talk is like. "Go out there and try, though I doubt you will."

DevilWearsPrada
01-26-2014, 05:54 PM
Is there a link to stream the Unc Clemson game ? Thanks!!!

DukeHLM'13
01-26-2014, 06:04 PM
Can we open up the chat page for the game? :-P

I second this

FerryFor50
01-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Good to see UNC getting mashed on the boards as bad as Duke did.

burnspbesq
01-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Clemson is having its way on the offensive glass, but they don't have much to show for it yet.

FerryFor50
01-26-2014, 06:28 PM
UNC definitely getting the home cooking. Clemson having trouble finishing through contact and not getting the calls.

Dukehky
01-26-2014, 06:29 PM
How does Clemson come out so fired up against Duke and play incredibly, but when they go into UNC a game they should want to win at least as equally as badly as the Duke game, they come out flat and look awful. I mean, come on Clemson. You'd think I'd be used to this kind of thing by now, but it is still extremely aggravating.

FerryFor50
01-26-2014, 06:31 PM
How does Clemson come out so fired up against Duke and play incredibly, but when they go into UNC a game they should want to win at least as equally as badly as the Duke game, they come out flat and look awful. I mean, come on Clemson. You'd think I'd be used to this kind of thing by now, but it is still extremely aggravating.

After nearly 60 losses in a row, it's likely mental.

pfrduke
01-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Death and taxes, people. It's death and taxes.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-26-2014, 06:40 PM
There should never again be a pre-game and in-game thread for a (non-Duke) U*NC game. This is the worst jinx ever.

burnspbesq
01-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Clemson has two field goals in 12 minutes. Incomprehensible.

chaosmage
01-26-2014, 06:43 PM
I don't know what to be more angry about with this - that Clemson looks like they suck, that the Holes look like they can actually play, or that the crowd is the usual "wine and cheese" crowd. Even the wife noticed it, and I pointed out the entitlement here. They always win, so why get interested?

Sucks.

Edouble
01-26-2014, 06:48 PM
I don't know what to be more angry about with this - that Clemson looks like they suck, that the Holes look like they can actually play, or that the crowd is the usual "wine and cheese" crowd. Even the wife noticed it, and I pointed out the entitlement here. They always win, so why get interested?

Sucks.

Dude, I hear they're serving triple cream with a St. Emilion tonight. Screw cheering, I'd be chowing down too!

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-26-2014, 06:49 PM
So much for Clemson's elite defense.

DukieInBrasil
01-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Carowhina up big at the half! Could be a huge upset for the Holes (1-4) to beat an upper level ACC team (4-2)!!!

Tripping William
01-26-2014, 06:54 PM
"Peculiar thing about this document. It was never notarized."

DukieInBrasil
01-26-2014, 06:57 PM
So much for Clemson's elite defense.

or their ability to shoot the ball. ~20% FG? Cosmic-level pathetic. It's unbelievable to me that Clemson could always lose to UNC in Chapel Hill, under all conditions. UNC could suit up a bunch of Jr. High boys, and Clemson could put their recruited scholarship varsity D-1 squad out there and UNC would still win. It's unbelievable.

DukeHLM'13
01-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Carolina up big at the half! Could be a huge upset for the Holes (1-4) to beat an upper level ACC team (4-2)!!!

Hurry, someone start a new thread before its too late!

Kfanarmy
01-26-2014, 07:00 PM
How do you have a 56 game losing streak at UNC and show up with no emotion?

Wheat/"/"/"
01-26-2014, 07:03 PM
So Roy recruited a player that had zero work ethic. Then, in almost 2 years of coaching has gotten him up to a 3 or 4 on a 10-scale for work ethic? What an incredible motivator Roy is.

But, yeah, the oddest thing is the public trash-talking of his own players right before a game. I wonder what his pre-game locker room pep talk is like. "Go out there and try, though I doubt you will."

I think you're taking Roy's comment out of context. I heard a Brice Johnson interview about that comment and he said the 10 point scale Roy was talking about is based on Tyler Hansbrough being a 10. Brice said he thinks he's a 6 or 7...it just looks like a motivational ploy to me, no way he's "throwing him under the bus".

CDu
01-26-2014, 07:05 PM
I think you're taking Roy's comment out of context. I heard a Brice Johnson interview about that comment and he said the 10 point scale Roy was talking about is based on Tyler Hansbrough being a 10. Brice said he thinks he's a 6 or 7...it just looks like a motivational ploy to me, no way he's "throwing him under the bus".

Yeah, that's not nearly as bad as what he did with Dexter Strickland and the 53rd (or whatever it was) practice comment.

Williams is certainly not afraid to throw his players under the bus. I'm not sure this is even on the charts of his worst examples of doing so.

jdj4duke
01-26-2014, 07:06 PM
There is more noise in the lobby of a Hampton Inn than in the Dump. Or maybe they got confused and think they are still in the library.

Gawd they're insipid.

dukelifer
01-26-2014, 07:08 PM

Well it was at home and even then Duke led most of that game. Duke stopped scoring and Clemson roared back. Clemson needs to have everything working to win. It is not tonight- next game

Troublemaker
01-26-2014, 07:12 PM
This thing, if it ever happens, is going to happen when we least expect it to. It's not going to occur during a year like this one when UNC feels threatened and comes out ultra-focused to protect the streak.

If McDaniels sticks around, Clemson will have everyone back next year. If they get to play in Chapel Hill again, watch out then.

FerryFor50
01-26-2014, 07:17 PM
Clemson is 5-30 from the field. 11 of their 23 points have come from the FT line. Abysmal...

And the poor shooting hasn't really been from lockdown D either.

FerryFor50
01-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Also, 14-10 personal fouls. Guess who has 14?

DukieInBrasil
01-26-2014, 07:20 PM
so glad i am not a Clemson fan. How can a team be this pathetic against one opponent in particular?
Clemson played well against Duke, they made Duke play poorly too. It boggles the mind that Clemson can play well against Duke (only at home apparently, though), remember 74-47, and still be such utter crap against the Holes. Perhaps this Holes team is just schizophrenic, and only plays well under certain conditions (ones that are imperceptible to outsiders)?

Gthoma2a
01-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Our players need to be kicking themselves for losing to this team. I know that we seem to have corrected the issues, but this team should have been held to 10 points.

MChambers
01-26-2014, 07:29 PM
On the one hand, everyone who either started or contributed in a positive way to this thread, you all hate puppies, little children, and Christmas (in addition to Devildeac and arnieisking).

On the other, it's just never going to happen, in the lifetime of anyone alive today.

Karl Beem
01-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Clemson is now hitting 19% from the field.

SupaDave
01-26-2014, 07:33 PM
This thing, if it ever happens, is going to happen when we least expect it to. It's not going to occur during a year like this one when UNC feels threatened and comes out ultra-focused to protect the streak.

If McDaniels sticks around, Clemson will have everyone back next year. If they get to play in Chapel Hill again, watch out then.

Watch out for what? A 50 point game? This team is fried when it comes to UNC. For the first time, I'm convinced.

OldPhiKap
01-26-2014, 07:35 PM
Clemson's cut it to 27!

Gthoma2a
01-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Clemson's cut it to 27!

I don't think that I have ever met a Clemson fan and I think this series is why...

It is like they are trying to help UNC by playing this poorly. This is the relationship between Clemson and UNC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMG-LWyNcAs

hurleyfor3
01-26-2014, 07:56 PM
At least I spent the last two hours on planes and in cabs and was only able to turn on the game with less than a minute left.

I started this disaster, so I'll be the one to kill it. Let us never speak of this again.

-jk
01-26-2014, 10:07 PM
At least I spent the last two hours on planes and in cabs and was only able to turn on the game with less than a minute left.

I started this disaster, so I'll be the one to kill it. Let us never speak of this again.

No, I said it before: The voodoo on Clemson @ unc is so strong, nothing we could hope to do from here stands a chance. This one - every one - is on someone's ancestor.

-jk