PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Virginia 76, UNC-Chapel Hill 61

OldPhiKap
01-20-2014, 08:08 PM
wahoos hosting Heels, second half. Heels will probably pull this out somehow.

Ggallagher
01-20-2014, 08:12 PM
The Hoo's have a nice lead so far - I'm enjoying it.

Indoor66
01-20-2014, 08:41 PM
unc is OK - Roy has all his time outs remaining!

FerryFor50
01-20-2014, 08:41 PM
This certainly is an enjoyable game, especially considering how Duke handled UVA most of their game...

dukelifer
01-20-2014, 08:43 PM
The Hoo's have a nice lead so far - I'm enjoying it.

They have not been beaten- they have been dominated- so says Jay Bilas who is color for the game

FerryFor50
01-20-2014, 08:44 PM
They have not been beaten- they have been dominated- so says Jay Bilas who is color for the game

I feel like having Jeff van Gundy call second rate college games is a punishment of some sort from espn...

MCFinARL
01-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Not thinking it will be very easy for UNC to pull this out. Wahoos seem to be controlling things fairly well--and that IS a pleasure to see.

Bilas asking about whether the Heels can get into the tournament--they do have an odd resume, with extremely solid out-of-conference victories but too many losses, and the wrong ones.

Ggallagher
01-20-2014, 08:45 PM
This only could have been better if it had been played in Chapel Hill. Can you imagine how quiet that place would have been?

dukelifer
Big test- will the students rush the court?

lotusland
Favorite post from IC in game thread:

Posted: Today 8:10 PM
RE: The Official UNC vs. UVA Game Thread (Go Tar Heels!)
I wish he would have driven more and gotten the same punishment PJ got.

---------------------------------------------
--- sikknizz wrote:

McDonald should be banned from driving.
---------------------------------------------

throatybeard
01-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Roy Williams is not in the dadgum MLK Day spirit. *

* - I'm retiring from the internet now.

Channing
01-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Next Sunday ... Clemson @ UNC. calling Klemnop...

FerryFor50
01-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Next Sunday ... Clemson @ UNC. calling Klemnop...

UNC wins that one. That streak is impenetrable...

burnspbesq
01-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Uva up 19 with 1:20 to go. This one may be in hand.

Newton_14
01-20-2014, 08:50 PM
It was actually a 30 point beat down had UVA hit their free throws. They left a lot of points on the table at the line. unc cheat is now 1 and 4 in conference. They have a long row to hoe to sniff a tourney bid even with the fluke wins against Sparty, UK, and UL.

Can't wait for the ol roy presser...

FerryFor50
I don't get why UNC waits until they have no chance to start pressing. It seems to work better for them than their standard defense...

MCFinARL
Big test- will the students rush the court?

I hope not--and I think not, though I'm not sure. They might rush if they won a close one, but I think they will want to act like they have been here before with a victory margin this big.

Ggallagher
01-20-2014, 08:51 PM
This only could have been better if it had been played in Chapel Hill. Can you imagine how quiet that place would have been?

But now having said that - it's actually pretty quiet in Charlottesville. Guess it's not too exciting whipping up on uncch.

And I really hope they don't shame themselves by storming the court.

FerryFor50
01-20-2014, 08:52 PM
But now having said that - it's actually pretty quiet in Charlottesville. Guess it's not too exciting whipping up on uncch.

And I really hope they don't shame themselves by storming the court.

I don't think UVA fans know what to do when they beat UNC so badly.

dukelifer
01-20-2014, 08:52 PM
I hope not--and I think not, though I'm not sure. They might rush if they won a close one, but I think they will want to act like they have been here before with a victory margin this big.

Apparently not worthy. Wow - how things have changed.

duke4ever19
01-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Time to mosey on over to IC.

No joy in Mudville - the "mighty" Heels have struck out.

SupaDave
01-20-2014, 09:05 PM

I was talking to a Clemson fan about this the other day. Needless to say, he wasn't too confident about winning.

timmy c
01-20-2014, 09:15 PM
Time to mosey on over to IC.

No joy in Mudville - the "mighty" Heels have struck out.

IC: watching this team (unc) is like watching synchronized swimming , without the synchronized part.
!!!

roywhite
01-20-2014, 09:21 PM
What was that stat mentioned during the game on UNC's 3-pt production for the year?

If I recall, it was that UNC averaged 3.5 made 3-pt shots per game, which ranked 344 out of 345 D-1 basketball teams. Yikes. Talk about no outside shooting.

throatybeard
01-20-2014, 09:23 PM
What was that stat mentioned during the game on UNC's 3-pt production for the year?

If I recall, it was that UNC averaged 3.5 made 3-pt shots per game, which ranked 344 out of 345 D-1 basketball teams. Yikes. Talk about no outside shooting.

You seem to be laboring under the misconception that anything other than "post presence" matters. UNC people are very good at explaining this.

timmy c
01-20-2014, 09:24 PM

Hard to shoot when you throw your gun out the window.... :o
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

MarkD83
01-20-2014, 09:30 PM

Or perhaps the "streak" is inevitable, if one remembers what was promised.

Merlindevildog91
01-20-2014, 09:30 PM

IC (which the hubs has been looking at, and laughing) says that. Only Jackson State is worse.

IC also says Stevie Wonder would be the best shooter for distance if he were to suit up.

ncexnyc
01-20-2014, 09:50 PM
IC: watching this team (unc) is like watching synchronized swimming , without the synchronized part.
!!!

And without the swimming too, as they can't seem to keep their heads above water :D

Kedsy
01-20-2014, 10:02 PM
AFTER UNC BEAT LOUISVILLE AND MICHIGAN STATE:

They are a tough matchup and their young guys will get better. They are a potential final four team...

unc is good….they are legit...

AFTER UNC BEAT KENTUCKY:

UNC is among the early contenders for the title...

I don't usually traipse down memory lane like this, but remember when people were saying UNC was a legitimate Final Four contender and I demurred by saying they'd finish under .500 in the ACC and that our non-starters could beat them 6 out of 10?

Well, it's still a long season and all that, and if they finish 3rd in the ACC and make the Final Four, I'll acknowledge my mistake, but at this point who do you think has a better chance of being right?

If you're not that good then you're not that good, and beating overranked teams in November doesn't change that.

noworries
01-20-2014, 10:03 PM
Loved this game...

wsb3
01-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Listened to Seth Greenburg after game & I believe he said he wasn't sure Carolina had a pro player on their roster.

BlueDevilBrowns
01-20-2014, 10:12 PM
I don't usually traipse down memory lane like this, but remember when people were saying UNC was a legitimate Final Four contender and I demurred by saying they'd finish under .500 in the ACC and that our non-starters could beat them 6 out of 10?

Richard Sherman, is that you?

BD80
01-20-2014, 10:15 PM
Richard Sherman, is that you?

He is the best ...

dukelifer
01-20-2014, 10:17 PM

AFTER UNC BEAT KENTUCKY:

Well, it's still a long season and all that, and if they finish 3rd in the ACC and make the Final Four, I'll acknowledge my mistake, but at this point who do you think has a better chance of being right?

If you're not that good then you're not that good, and beating overranked teams in November doesn't change that.

Two quotes from me? I am flattered. There is talent there. But they are young and their confidence is shaky. The lack of outside shooting is beginning to kill them. Clearly Paige is not capable of being a scorer every night. Things can turn on a dime- for good or bad. I prefer this UNC team to the one I suspect they can become. I am not ready to admit I am wrong yet- but they are definitely heading downward. Note that for the record- these predictions were before the Hairston dismissal. I suspect that issue has leaked into the locker-room. I would not be surprised if there are guys on the team wondering whether the AD will support them in down times. UNC is not having a good year.

Wander
01-20-2014, 10:18 PM
richard sherman, is that you?

"I was making sure everyone knew that moonpie is a mediocre poster!!!"

Klemnop
01-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Or perhaps the "streak" is inevitable, if one remembers what was promised.

Alive and well.

Kedsy
01-20-2014, 10:21 PM
Alive and well.

And we're all rooting for you, except those perhaps with a good view onto Franklin Street.

BD80
01-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Alive and well.

Our best wishes are with you.

Well, wait. The statute of limitations has run on that "naked down Franklin Street" thing, right?

OldPhiKap
01-20-2014, 10:30 PM
Alive and well.

Good deal, beat the Holes!

Well, wait. The statute of limitations has run on that "naked down Franklin Street" thing, right?

Don't back down, Klem. It won't happen if you're not committed.

ForkFondler
01-20-2014, 10:31 PM
I was talking to a Clemson fan about this the other day. Needless to say, he wasn't too confident about winning.

Well, duh. We're talking about way more than a mere chance here!!! FTLG, it's a quasi-near-likelihood that Clemson will win!! ACC story of the year, I'm thinking. Kinda like Duke winning Coastal, even.

rsvman
01-20-2014, 10:33 PM
You seem to be laboring under the misconception that anything other than "post presence" matters. UNC people are very good at explaining this.

Wait, what?

I thought you retired on page one!

DukieInKansas
01-20-2014, 10:34 PM
Alive and well.

Good to hear from you.

And we're all rooting for you, except those perhaps with a good view onto Franklin Street.

I'm in Kansas so not an issue.

What statute of limitations?

Good deal, beat the Holes!

Don't back down, Klem. It won't happen if you're not committed.

Good luck! And I'm still willing to chip in toward any bail or fine fund.

BD80
01-20-2014, 10:34 PM
... it's a quasi-near-likelihood that Clemson will win!! ... Kinda like Duke winning Coastal, ...

What are the signs of the apocalypse?

ricks68
01-21-2014, 12:33 AM

I wish I could spork you again for that one, but I can't.:D

ricks

porkpa
01-21-2014, 05:18 AM
I can't remember a year when so many top rated teams have gone down so decisively to teams not rated near as well. Ohio State and Villanova both get clobbered last night.

wilson
01-21-2014, 08:03 AM
I can't remember a year when so many top rated teams have gone down so decisively to teams not rated near as well. Ohio State and Villanova both get clobbered last night.I think this is the new normal for college basketball. In the past few seasons, there have been a couple of teams who were the clear, odds-on favorites by about this point in the season (Luhvul last year, Kentucky the year before that), but by and large, there seems to be a great deal of talent, spread rather thin through the D-1 ranks. Much has been made of the fact that TV contracts, online access to content, etc. provide greater exposure for a greater number of schools, so more teams can be easily seen. The word "parity" gets thrown around a lot, but I think this college basketball season is a particularly strong example of the notion that no single team is really that good. March should be fun.

moonpie23
01-21-2014, 08:15 AM

AFTER UNC BEAT KENTUCKY:

so, if they beat us once, does that make me at least half right?

moonpie23
01-21-2014, 08:17 AM
Klem,

will you be shouting "how bout dem heels"? or, "how bout den tigers"?

i will attend this event and join either chorus…

oldnavy
01-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Did anyone that watched the game get the sense that UNC gave up towards the middle of the 2nd half?

I wasn't paying real close attention, but I got the sense that their was no spark in the heels...

My wife says that since the PJ decision came down, they have not played with a lot of desire... perhaps so??

CDu
01-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Did anyone that watched the game get the sense that UNC gave up towards the middle of the 2nd half?

I wasn't paying real close attention, but I got the sense that their was no spark in the heels...

My wife says that since the PJ decision came down, they have not played with a lot of desire... perhaps so??

I don't think they gave up. I think they just aren't very good and they faced a very disciplined opponent.

But they got 7 offensive rebounds in the final 15 minutes. That's not evidence of a team that gave up.

lotusland
01-21-2014, 09:32 AM

there's a thread on IC about the Lmac factor blaiming McDonald for messing up the team's chemistry.

flyingdutchdevil
01-21-2014, 09:35 AM
there's a thread on IC about the Lmac factor blaiming McDonald for messing up the team's chemistry.

There may be some truth to that. He's average 9.6 shots a game, shooting 34% and 31% from FG and 3pt FG, respectively, and passing a whooping 1.6 assists again with 1.0 turnover. Not exactly a team player who adds much value to the team...

CDu
01-21-2014, 09:45 AM
There may be some truth to that. He's average 9.6 shots a game, shooting 34% and 31% from FG and 3pt FG, respectively, and passing a whooping 1.6 assists again with 1.0 turnover. Not exactly a team player who adds much value to the team...

In all fairness, that 3pt percentage puts him in a virtual tie for the second-best 3pt percentage on the team among guys with at least 5 attempts. So compared to guys like Britt and Luke Davis, I'd say he does actually add value to the team.

Part of UNC's problem of late has been Paige. He is shooting just 23-67 from the field (8-35 from 3pt range) in ACC play. For most of the season he's been the only perimeter scoring threat for the Heels. But right now, aside from the BC game (7-10) he has been just abysmal offensively.

SupaDave
01-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Listened to Seth Greenburg after game & I believe he said he wasn't sure Carolina had a pro player on their roster.

Jay Bilas ripped them pretty thoroughly in terms of the effort, fight, and hustle.

FerryFor50
01-21-2014, 09:53 AM
In all fairness, that 3pt percentage puts him in a virtual tie for the second-best 3pt percentage on the team among guys with at least 5 attempts. So compared to guys like Britt and Luke Davis, I'd say he does actually add value to the team.

Part of UNC's problem of late has been Paige. He is shooting just 23-67 from the field (8-35 from 3pt range) in ACC play. For most of the season he's been the only perimeter scoring threat for the Heels. But right now, aside from the BC game (7-10) he has been just abysmal offensively.

That's because teams finally figured out that Paige is UNC's only real scoring threat. Stop Paige, you stop UNC.

Plus, Paige is probably wearing down a bit from all of the extra defensive attention he receives, and his game has been exposed a bit.

AtlDuke72
01-21-2014, 10:11 AM

This is a prize winning post !

roywhite
01-21-2014, 10:18 AM

That's because teams finally figured out that Paige is UNC's only real scoring threat. Stop Paige, you stop UNC.

Plus, Paige is probably wearing down a bit from all of the extra defensive attention he receives, and his game has been exposed a bit.

So, the Heels have maybe 1.5 decent outside shooters:
their halfway outside shooter is McDonald; he not's great from outside, and now chemistry concerns as well?
Paige -- shooting 34.8% for the season, but now getting more defensive attention.

Who else?
Tokoto who is 6 for 19 from 3-pt and is not mistaken for someone with a soft shooting touch.
As a team, the Heels are near the absolute bottom in the country on 3-pt goals per game.

As Kedsy has said, it's hard to see how they even get to the middle of the league this year.
Along with the drumbeat of scandals, there's not much joy in Heel-ville this year.

bbosbbos
01-21-2014, 10:19 AM
What? Hard to shoot? They stood on the court naked. haha :p

wk2109
01-21-2014, 10:28 AM
I think this is the new normal for college basketball. In the past few seasons, there have been a couple of teams who were the clear, odds-on favorites by about this point in the season (Luhvul last year, Kentucky the year before that), but by and large, there seems to be a great deal of talent, spread rather thin through the D-1 ranks. Much has been made of the fact that TV contracts, online access to content, etc. provide greater exposure for a greater number of schools, so more teams can be easily seen. The word "parity" gets thrown around a lot, but I think this college basketball season is a particularly strong example of the notion that no single team is really that good. March should be fun.

Louisville was ranked 11th in the AP Top 25 as late as the Feb. 4th poll last year, so I don't think they were the clear, odds on favorites to win it all at this point in the season. They ended the season on a 16-game winning streak starting in mid-Feb, but had lost 4 out of 7 before that streak began.

I think there's parity in college basketball, but I also think it's way too soon to say there's no dominant team(s). I'd consider Duke's 18 wins in 19 games to finish the 2010 season to be pretty dominant, but that stretch didn't start until early February (after the January 30 Georgetown debacle). I still think it's very possible that a few dominant teams will rise to the top.

wilson
01-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Louisville was ranked 11th in the AP Top 25 as late as the Feb. 4th poll last year, so I don't think they were the clear, odds on favorites to win it all at this point in the season. They ended the season on a 16-game winning streak starting in mid-Feb, but had lost 4 out of 7 before that streak began.

I think there's parity in college basketball, but I also think it's way too soon to say there's no dominant team(s). I'd consider Duke's 18 wins in 19 games to finish the 2010 season to be pretty dominant, but that stretch didn't start until early February (after the January 30 Georgetown debacle). I still think it's very possible that a few dominant teams will rise to the top.Excellent points all. I still don't think there's any team this year that's all that good (historically speaking anyway), but your comments are well taken.

Troublemaker
01-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Definitely agree there's parity. The top programs can't keep their stars very long, and some top coaches seem to be okay staying on with a mid-major for awhile.

However, I don't want to rule out the possibility of there being a great team in March just yet. Still plenty of time for one to develop. It's possible Arizona is one. Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke are possibilities to develop into monsters as well, although it's unlikely all three will.

But for now it does look like a bunch of very good but not great teams at the top.

rocketeli
01-21-2014, 01:26 PM
My favorite quote on IC
"it IS just a game-I just wish we were better at it"

Eakane
01-21-2014, 04:14 PM
What a nice run lately: OSU loses 4 in a row, 'Nova gets their head handed to them, Kentucky has to print new shirts, and most enjoyably, Carolina is self-destructing.

I'm aware that the Basketball Gods both giveth and taketh away, but this sure is a good time to take pleasure in the misery of others, especially over at IC dot com.

wsb3
01-21-2014, 06:13 PM
My favorite quote on IC
"it IS just a game-I just wish we were better at it"

It is very difficult to go to IC & pick out just one favorite quote, however that is a good one.

TruBlu
01-21-2014, 06:45 PM
According to one of the announcers last night, the Heels have an excuse. Per ole Roy, their best player (PJ) was tearing it up in practice more than any player ole Roy has ever had.

Either:

(A) PJ found another gear in practice after being 'run to death'.

(B) ole Roy is lying and building his excuse.

I vote for (B).

TruBlu
01-21-2014, 06:49 PM

Perhaps Paige is wearing down from reading all those English Lit books.

Newton_14
01-21-2014, 08:05 PM
According to one of the announcers last night, the Heels have an excuse. Per ole Roy, their best player (PJ) was tearing it up in practice more than any player ole Roy has ever had.

Either:

I vote for (B).

I heard that too. What a crock. So PJ was tearing it up in practice. So what? Why bring that up when talking to the announcers doing their prep work for the upcoming game? The kid is gone and you have the players you have. It's like last season when Roy stated numerous times "well we were expecting to have Kendall this season, so we have had to overcome that". Really? In the one and done, two and done, most good players leave early era, Roy "expected" Kendall Marshall to stick around after being a projected 1st round pick in every mock draft? Roy has also mentioned the "bad decision" Bullock made numerous times since last Spring as well. Whine whine whine. Get over it and coach up the players you have like every other coach in the league. Or call up Jim Larranaga or Mark Gottfried and ask them if they feel sorry for you. Both coaches are out there competing like heck and I have not heard them whine about the players they lost.

What a tool.

OldPhiKap
01-21-2014, 08:10 PM
I heard that too. What a crock. So PJ was tearing it up in practice. So what? Why bring that up when talking to the announcers doing their prep work for the upcoming game? The kid is gone and you have the players you have. It's like last season when Roy stated numerous times "well we were expecting to have Kendall this season, so we have had to overcome that". Really? In the one and done, two and done, most good players leave early era, Roy "expected" Kendall Marshall to stick around after being a projected 1st round pick in every mock draft? Roy has also mentioned the "bad decision" Bullock made numerous times since last Spring as well. Whine whine whine. Get over it and coach up the players you have like every other coach in the league. Or call up Jim Larranaga or Mark Gottfried and ask them if they feel sorry for you. Both coaches are out there competing like heck and I have not heard them whine about the players they lost.

What a tool.

Well, OL' Roy started LD II over Marshall for way too long, and did not feature PJ last year until late in the season. So, to be fair to Roy, maybe he just sucks at evaluating talent.

BD80
01-21-2014, 09:29 PM

Either:

I vote for (B).

(C) No carolina player has ever practiced against a worse defense

El_Diablo
01-21-2014, 09:43 PM

What a tool.

It's fairly common knowledge that if one player is playing well in practice, then no one else can play well during that practice or for several months thereafter. So Roy should just be given a pass for this season.

OldPhiKap
01-21-2014, 11:21 PM
For those willing to go to IC, I recommend the "3 out of the last 5 seasons" thread. Not for giggles, but a pretty sober discussion of the decline of UNC over the last five years and the Current State Of Roy Williams.

Seriously, a very good discussion -- not a meltdown thread IMO -- that addresses the current challenges over there.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=12611245

(Mods, please delete link if that is verboten)

And from another thread, did not check the poster's figures:

Posted: Today 2:07 PM
RE: UNC worst 3 Point Shooting Team in Nation
Read'em and weep

UNC ACC Stats

13th FG%
14th FT%
11th FT Attempts
Last 3FG%
12th Turnovers Per Game
10th Blocks Per Game
15th Fouls Per Game
14th Offensive Efficiency
Last Effective FG%
Last True Shooting %
13th FT Rate
14th 3FG Point Distribution Rate
14th Opponents FT Attempts
Last Opponents Assist Per Game
12th Opponents A/TO Ratio
13th Opponents Turnovers Per Game
13th Opponents Blocks Per Game
Reply | Quote.

Wheat/"/"/"
01-22-2014, 01:03 AM
On the road and it's been hard to find time to chime in...

As master of the obvious, let's just say the Heels are not playing very well. There's a multitude of reasons but that's the bottom line.

For a team to play well, it's all about balance, and there is none at the moment with this team. The lack of outside shooting is the biggest problem, but they have also lost confidence now and are struggling defensively and to finish plays due to a lack of focus.

I still think they can turn it around and be a tournament team and scare some teams, but they better start soon.

I said earlier in a thread that besides Paige, key players are not showing much basketball IQ. Nobody is playing intuitively with the flow of the game but Paige. It's like an engine out of tune out there now. Poor decisions are bad enough, but the timing of some of them magnifies the mistakes even more because of a lack of situational awareness. Much of it is the inexperienced play of Britt, Tokoto, Johnson and Meeks. But Mcdonald as a senior, especially has no business making the same mistakes over and over...like fouling a 3pt shooter and continually forcing bad shots and passes.

Roy has no options this season but to keep plugging and hope somebody steps up and starts making some shots. I'd bench McDonald and start Britt. Tell him to shoot more 3's even if he misses, Tokoto too. Hunt the outside shot. Make a negative a positive. It's time to gamble. Teams are crowding the post without the threat of an outside shot, and it is stagnating the offense. Open it up, the heck with the %'s, shoot it and crash the boards would be my advice.

Defense has also become a big problem, and it's frustrating because this can be a good defensive team. The lack of confidence is hurting communication and intensity. Teams are smelling blood. Opponents are stepping a little livelier, and the Heels are moving a step slow. That's a recipe for getting beat all over the floor.

Tokoto is the one player to me that has to transform his game to the next level now to avoid a poor season for this team. His game has been coming along nicely, controlled, disciplined...but he needs to come along just more flat out junkyard dog. This team needs that from him now. He can't worry about making a mistake any longer.

It's an interesting season, for sure.

BD80
01-22-2014, 03:36 AM
... It's an interesting season, for sure.

The proverbial curse ...

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-22-2014, 05:10 AM

What a tool.
Some guys make excuses.

Some guys make it happen.

I'm thankful for our guy.

OldPhiKap
01-22-2014, 07:32 AM
On the road and it's been hard to find time to chime in...

As master of the obvious, let's just say the Heels are not playing very well. There's a multitude of reasons but that's the bottom line.

For a team to play well, it's all about balance, and there is none at the moment with this team. The lack of outside shooting is the biggest problem, but they have also lost confidence now and are struggling defensively and to finish plays due to a lack of focus.

I still think they can turn it around and be a tournament team and scare some teams, but they better start soon.

I said earlier in a thread that besides Paige, key players are not showing much basketball IQ. Nobody is playing intuitively with the flow of the game but Paige. It's like an engine out of tune out there now. Poor decisions are bad enough, but the timing of some of them magnifies the mistakes even more because of a lack of situational awareness. Much of it is the inexperienced play of Britt, Tokoto, Johnson and Meeks. But Mcdonald as a senior, especially has no business making the same mistakes over and over...like fouling a 3pt shooter and continually forcing bad shots and passes.

Roy has no options this season but to keep plugging and hope somebody steps up and starts making some shots. I'd bench McDonald and start Britt. Tell him to shoot more 3's even if he misses, Tokoto too. Hunt the outside shot. Make a negative a positive. It's time to gamble. Teams are crowding the post without the threat of an outside shot, and it is stagnating the offense. Open it up, the heck with the %'s, shoot it and crash the boards would be my advice.

Defense has also become a big problem, and it's frustrating because this can be a good defensive team. The lack of confidence is hurting communication and intensity. Teams are smelling blood. Opponents are stepping a little livelier, and the Heels are moving a step slow. That's a recipe for getting beat all over the floor.

Tokoto is the one player to me that has to transform his game to the next level now to avoid a poor season for this team. His game has been coming along nicely, controlled, disciplined...but he needs to come along just more flat out junkyard dog. This team needs that from him now. He can't worry about making a mistake any longer.

It's an interesting season, for sure.

I agree with most of this, although I suspect we disagree about my conclusion:

Roy is doing an awful job coaching this team.

Your analogy of the engine out of tune is apt. Roy's like Ricky Bobby, wants to go full out at all times. This team cannot do that, at least over a whole season. But rather than slow down and work on fundamental execution of a half-court game, he plays the one trick he has. He is trying to race with a Prius, instead of playing to the motor and parts he has.

As far as players not having situational awareness, again that is coaching. These kids are all top prospects, most ACC teams would welcome them.

There is plenty of blame to spread, and there is certainly opportunity to rebound and be a force. Both of those things rest on Roy to a very large extent.

Reilly
01-22-2014, 07:57 AM

Either:

I vote for (B).

(C) No carolina player has ever practiced against a worse defense

(D) Pre-game talks with announcing crews are sycophant-fests, prone to all sorts of enabling, so those whose default mode is maudlin self-pity are free to take full advantage, the truth be damned.

oldnavy
01-22-2014, 08:25 AM

What a tool.

That also caught my attention. I really can't believe that they are still talking about PJ. I am sure that keeping the "what might have been" discussion going is doing tremendous things in the locker room. I wonder if Roy works the PJ angle into his pre-game/half-time pep talks?

I suspect that Roy was asked about PJ and didn't bring it up, but the fact that he made that comment is just ridiculous at this point of the season. Roy can brush off questions with the best of them, so I just wonder why he didn't say, "I don't give a STINK about PJ"...

Naw, I know perfectly well why he didn't, he needs the excuse and needs people to feel bad for him. He really NEEDS people to feel bad for him.... often! The problem is, that only a few Roy apostles are going to buy that mess. This is all self inflicted. PJ isn't at UNC because of things PJ did, and the "apparent" lack of supervision at UNC with regards to their athletes. Sure, folks will say, you can't be with the players all the time, which I will agree with, but you can look outside to the parking lot and see that they are driving Benz's and such and start asking questions....you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to see that now do ya?

Roy is lost this season. He is fixated on the PJ loss and doesn't seem to be able to move on. He is not healthy and I am sure he is not 100% "with the team" in a similar way that Coach K said he was absent. Difference is, Coach K's reasons were 100% legit and totally understandable, Roy's reasons are of the "Shut the ____ up" and "move on" variety.

There should be a rule in the UNC locker room that NO ONE MENTIONS PJ HAIRSTON AGAIN... problem is, that can't be a rule when the head guy is still harping on PJ and "how he was their best player"...

Wow, talk about a confidence booster for the remaining guys that didn't do STUPID stuff to get kicked off the team!! If I'm Paige and I hear this crap coming out of my head coach, I may get a little discouraged and feel like doing the right things and working hard over the summer, and NOT breaking NCAA rules by the dozen are not really valued at UNC.... because coach is still saying how great PJ was... oh my!

CDu
01-22-2014, 09:15 AM

I know you're a huge Paige fan, but I think you're giving him too much of a pass here. In UNC's four ACC losses, Paige is shooting 28.1 fg% and 18.8 3pt% while averaging 14 FGA and 6 3pt FGA per game. That's awful.

They are taking about 15 3s per game in ACC play, along with plenty of other jumpers. So unless you're suggesting to not enter post passes at all with this team, then I'm not sure there is much to change here.

Actually, I'd argue that defense is the one thing they are doing well. They held Syracuse to 35% fg% and 57 points. They held Miami to 63 points. UVa and Wake did well against them, but that's not really their problem. Their problem is that they can't shoot - from anywhere. With the exception of Meeks and (maybe) Paige, they don't have anyone capable of consistently scoring without a lot of help. McAdoo is all over the place, Tokoto is all athlete no skill, and McDonald is just a streaky shooter. Meeks is out of shape, so that limits him to about 15mpg. So most of the game, they're relying on Paige, who probably isn't as good a shooter/scorer as he looked early on this year. And he isn't a good enough PG to create easy scoring chances for others.

killerleft
01-22-2014, 09:34 AM

Your analogy of the engine out of tune is apt. Roy's like Ricky Bobby, wants to go full out at all times. This team cannot do that, at least over a whole season. But rather than slow down and work on fundamental execution of a half-court game, he plays the one trick he has. He is trying to race with a Prius, instead of playing to the motor and parts he has.

As far as players not having situational awareness, again that is coaching. These kids are all top prospects, most ACC teams would welcome them.

There is plenty of blame to spread, and there is certainly opportunity to rebound and be a force. Both of those things rest on Roy to a very large extent.

I like this. Only problem is, Dean didn't make a lesson plan book for playing this way, gosh dern it!

FerryFor50
01-22-2014, 09:42 AM

Roy is doing a terrible job coaching because he's mailed this season in. He's not even trying. You can see it in his body language, and you can hear it in his laments about not having PJ. Notice how the team got markedly worse once the final PJ decision was made? This is a team that took out Mich St, Kentucky and L'ville (without PJ). There is enough talent there to win games. But Roy just wants to pout (too bad his face always looks like he's pouting, else the pouting would be more obvious).

Frankly, I'm glad. I love seeing UNC have seasons like this. And I'm sure top recruits notice this sort of thing and think "maybe I don't want to go there..."

Dukeblue91
01-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Frankly, I'm glad. I love seeing UNC have seasons like this. And I'm sure top recruits notice this sort of thing and think "maybe I don't want to go there..."

I agree with everything you said, it is crazy to think that UNCheat couldn't be much better with all the talent they have.
But the quoted line is how I feel too and I'm enjoying the crash of this season very much and do hope that Duke will beat them like a borrowed mule twice when we play.
Let ole Roy pout all he wants.

jv001
01-22-2014, 10:46 AM
Roy is doing a terrible job coaching because he's mailed this season in. He's not even trying. You can see it in his body language, and you can hear it in his laments about not having PJ. Notice how the team got markedly worse once the final PJ decision was made? This is a team that took out Mich St, Kentucky and L'ville (without PJ). There is enough talent there to win games. But Roy just wants to pout (too bad his face always looks like he's pouting, else the pouting would be more obvious).

There's the difference between Coach K and old roy. Coach K accepts no excuses from his players and himself. Old roy blames everyone except himself. Never his fault, it's the players, refs, NCAA and any excuse he can come up with. GoDuke!

UrinalCake
01-22-2014, 11:02 AM
It is very difficult to go to IC & pick out just one favorite quote, however that is a good one.

In another thread they are looking forward to next year... one guy said that with their incoming class they are easily favorites for the Final Four, unless Paige goes pro. I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that one, and I don't mean that as a figure of speech.

throatybeard
01-22-2014, 10:29 PM
Your analogy of the engine out of tune is apt. Roy's like Ricky Bobby, wants to go full out at all times.

Shake and bake!

I'm not sure what that would look like on a basketball court, but I'm imagining Bo Kimble and Hank Gathers.

Eakane
01-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Great fun over at IC today. In a thread called "the Coach," ole Roy is taken to task for not recruiting better -- to wit, "he only recruited two shooters, and we should have 5 shooters all the time..." blah blah blah.

Nobodby came out and said it, but I'm sure it is widely believed amongst the baby blue people, that Roy failed by not getting Parker and Randle and Gooden and Wiggins.

I mean, what's wrong with Roy? Can;t he recruit at all anymore!?

As Bugs would say, what a bunch of maroons.