PDA

View Full Version : GHW Bush in the lockerroom

Troublemaker
01-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Here's video of President Bush 41 visiting Duke locker room: linky (http://www.goduke.com//mediaPortal/player.dbml?POPOUT=1&db_oem_id=4200&id=3165860&catid=13807&start=-1)

Click on the video on the right labeled "President Bush, Coach K honored in Locker Room"

CLT Devil
01-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Great video, what an inspiration, thank you for posting this. It really is special to have a Coach who does so much and seemingly likes to do the bulk of his good deeds 'under the radar.' I've always wondered what K's lapel pins meant to him as he wears them every game, and the circular one always stood out to me because he made a point of wearing the same two lapel pins a few years back, and now I know.

Proud to be a part of the Duke family, and feeling incredibly fortunate to have a leader like Coach K to look up to...he's one busy man!

-CLT

oldnavy
01-20-2014, 02:26 PM
Great video, what an inspiration, thank you for posting this. It really is special to have a Coach who does so much and seemingly likes to do the bulk of his good deeds 'under the radar.' I've always wondered what K's lapel pins meant to him as he wears them every game, and the circular one always stood out to me because he made a point of wearing the same two lapel pins a few years back, and now I know.

Proud to be a part of the Duke family, and feeling incredibly fortunate to have a leader like Coach K to look up to...he's one busy man!

-CLT

Coach K is the real deal. He does good things and doesn't seek out attention. I don't know if you have ever noticed the man that sits behind the bench with Down's Syndrome or not, but I've know him and his family for over 45 years. Coach K sends the family a personal letter each year inviting him to sit behind the bench, basically THE best seats in the house for free every year! Also, if you are ever at a game, watch Coach K when he comes out before the tipoff. He will shake his hand every game. He doesn't gain anything by doing this, it is just a kind gesture from a wonderful man...

Des Esseintes
01-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Coach K is the real deal. He does good things and doesn't seek out attention. I don't know if you have ever noticed the man that sits behind the bench with Down's Syndrome or not, but I've know him and his family for over 45 years. Coach K sends the family a personal letter each year inviting him to sit behind the bench, basically THE best seats in the house for free every year! Also, if you are ever at a game, watch Coach K when he comes out before the tipoff. He will shake his hand every game. He doesn't gain anything by doing this, it is just a kind gesture from a wonderful man...

You cannot imagine the number of times I have wondered what the story was there. Thanks for clearing up a long-standing mystery for me.

oldnavy
01-20-2014, 03:32 PM
You cannot imagine the number of times I have wondered what the story was there. Thanks for clearing up a long-standing mystery for me.

No problem.

Coach K met "S" years ago when "S's" father was doing construction/renovation work at Cameron.... Coach K found out what a big fan "S" was/is and the rest is history...

Atlanta Duke
01-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Thanks for posting

My Dad said he was looking for a longer story on the visit of President Bush to Cameron - glad I could send him the link

For those of us with aging parents the video of President Bush was touching

tbyers11
01-20-2014, 03:45 PM

Agree with Des Esseintes. I've wondered the story behind that man ever since my undergrad days. Thanks for sharing. And props to Coach K for being a standup guy.

jipops
01-20-2014, 03:46 PM

I've wondered the same thing as well for a long time. That's terrific.

Indoor66
01-20-2014, 04:06 PM
No problem.

Coach K met "S" years ago when "S's" father was doing construction/renovation work at Cameron.... Coach K found out what a big fan "S" was/is and the rest is history...

Isn't his name Sam? I seem to remember a printed story about that relationship that was published or linked in a thread here - some years ago. Isn't it somehow related to the gold pin that K wears on his left lapel? Maybe it is old age and a slipping memory. Anyone recall that?

weezie
01-20-2014, 04:50 PM
Absolutely super cool vid. And check out the Duke Blue shirt and socks that President Bush is wearing.

"President Bush said, 'I've always wanted to go to a Duke game.' "

Edouble
01-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Yes, very cool vid.

I was surprised to hear that GHWB was Coach K's favorite POTUS, head and shoulders above all others. Bush's approval ratings were very, very high about a year before he left office, but as a two term president, I thought that Reagan would be Coach K's favorite, or at least on somewhat equal footing as GHWB.

hurleyfor3
01-20-2014, 05:00 PM
I was surprised to hear that GHWB was Coach K's favorite POTUS, head and shoulders above all others.

We never failed to make the Final Four when he was president, so why wouldn't it be him?

sagegrouse
01-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Yes, very cool vid.

I was surprised to hear that GHWB was Coach K's favorite POTUS, head and shoulders above all others. Bush's approval ratings were very, very high about a year before he left office, but as a two term president, I thought that Reagan would be Coach K's favorite, or at least on somewhat equal footing as GHWB.

Those two WH visits after National Championships would certainly tend to color ones view.

Well, if Duke had beaten Arkansas in Charlotte in the NCAA Finals in 1994 with President Bill Clinton in attendance, I wonder if the answer would have been the same. I believe Pres. Clinton was the first sitting president to see the the Devils play in person, until President Obama (and VP Biden) saw the Devils vs. Georgetown in 2010, although some would question whether Duke was really playing in that sorry effort.

sage

77devil
01-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Those two WH visits after National Championships would certainly tend to color ones view.

Well, if Duke had beaten Arkansas in Charlotte in the NCAA Finals in 1994 with President Bill Clinton in attendance, I wonder if the answer would have been the same. I believe Pres. Clinton was the first sitting president to see the the Devils play in person, until President Obama (and VP Biden) saw the Devils vs. Georgetown in 2010, although some would question whether Duke was really playing in that sorry effort.

sage

I'd bet the answer would be the same. I suspect Coach K has a modest opinion of President Clinton that would not have been materially affected by a White House visit. After all, the president wasn't there in '94 to watch the blue devils.

OldPhiKap
01-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Yes, very cool vid.

GHWB served in battle, being shot down over the Pacific once. He was the youngest American Pilot in WWII, I believe (or something close to that -- may be a modifier I am missing).

Reagan made movies during the war, and no president since GHWB served in the military (putting aside the Texas Air National Guard, perhaps, which is a whole PPB topic left for somewhere else).

As a West Point man, I suspect that is a large part of it.

(Of course, with the guy sitting there, what else are you going to say? "I admire GHWB, but Reggie Love has told me WONDERFUL stories about Obama . . . .")

jv001
01-20-2014, 05:41 PM

We are truly blessed to have Coach K as Duke University Basketball Coach. He's not only a great basketball coach, he's also a great human being and Patriot. GoDuke!

InSpades
01-20-2014, 06:09 PM
GHWB served in battle, being shot down over the Pacific once. He was the youngest American Pilot in WWII, I believe (or something close to that -- may be a modifier I am missing).

Reagan made movies during the war, and no president since GHWB served in the military (putting aside the Texas Air National Guard, perhaps, which is a whole PPB topic left for somewhere else).

As a West Point man, I suspect that is a large part of it.

(Of course, with the guy sitting there, what else are you going to say? "I admire GHWB, but Reggie Love has told me WONDERFUL stories about Obama . . . .")

There's definitely a lot to admire about GHWB and you can tell they have a strong relationship from their interaction in the video. GHWB gave the commencement speech at my graduation from Duke many many years ago (okay, it was '98). It was a special day for me (not just because I avoided the wrath of my mother if I had taken more than 4 years to graduate).

sagegrouse
01-20-2014, 06:30 PM
I'd bet the answer would be the same. I suspect Coach K has a modest opinion of President Clinton that would not have been materially affected by a White House visit. After all, the president wasn't there in '94 to watch the blue devils.

I was referring to the presence of President Clinton at the National Championship game between Duke and Arkansas in Charlotte in 1994. Darn, we had a ten-point lead with seven minutes left!

But you're right about K's "modest opinion."

door
01-20-2014, 06:42 PM

Thank you so much for the story. My eight year old has Downs Syndrome and I was curious long before she was born! Needless to say, K is the real deal.

Reilly
01-20-2014, 08:26 PM
President Bush can put a photo of K and him on one side of a double frame, and a photo of Babe Ruth and him on the other.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/babe-ruth-met-future-president-george-h-w-bush-in-1948/

Indoor66
01-20-2014, 08:34 PM
President Bush can put a photo of K and him on one side of a double frame, and a photo of Babe Ruth and him on the other.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/babe-ruth-met-future-president-george-h-w-bush-in-1948/

Amazing find. Thanks. Very interesting.

dairedevil
01-20-2014, 09:46 PM
Really enjoyed the video...but did anybody else notice the messy locker right behind the president....couldn't they have gotten Hood/Dawkins to straighten up a little?
(I guess that's the mother in me)

westwall
01-20-2014, 11:46 PM
Well, if Duke had beaten Arkansas in Charlotte in the NCAA Finals in 1994 with President Bill Clinton in attendance, I wonder if the answer would have been the same. I believe Pres. Clinton was the first sitting president to see the the Devils play in person,
sage

The answer is "NO". Clinton was there in 1994 to root for the Razorbacks and, at the conclusion, sought out Calvin and Janet Hill (she was Hillary's roommate at Wellesley) to gloat on the win. Nothing there to alter K's "modest opinion".

AZLA
01-21-2014, 12:22 AM
Thanks for posting

My Dad said he was looking for a longer story on the visit of President Bush to Cameron - glad I could send him the link

For those of us with aging parents the video of President Bush was touching

Yes, very much so. My grandfather was one of the original Scouts & Raiders in WWII (which became the Navy Seals) and served in the Pacific Theatre. He passed a few years back and so too is the Greatest Generation going into the sunset. Oh how time flies. These guys and what they did, well, as a representative of that courageous generation (not just the fact that he was president) -- well it's just cool that Coach K takes moments like these and shares what it means to him with the younger generation -- his players. And that video was so personalized and authentic. It's great to see something like that passed along and be able to be a virtual lockeroom wallflower watching it. Thanks so much for sharing this video.

Indoor66
01-21-2014, 07:33 AM
Just a bump of the link to the video. (http://www.goduke.com//mediaPortal/player.dbml?POPOUT=1&db_oem_id=4200&id=3165860&catid=13807&start=-1)

Kimist
01-21-2014, 10:56 AM
Just a bump of the link to the video. (http://www.goduke.com//mediaPortal/player.dbml?POPOUT=1&db_oem_id=4200&id=3165860&catid=13807&start=-1)

I cannot watch the video - what's up??

ANYTHING I watch on goduke.com gets buffered at least once a second.

I regularly watch (HD) movies on Netflix, live local TV broadcasts, ESPN3.com events, YouTube offerings, and the like without any trouble.

But if there is a video on goduke.com the chances are pretty good I cannot view it. . . . So far as I know, all software updates are in place. I've tried watching the video both on IE 11.0.2 and on Firefox 26.0 with similar problems encountered on both. I have a Win7 system.

Ideas?

( Is the locker room video available elsewhere, i.e. other than on goduke.com ??? )

Thanks!

k

DukieInKansas
01-21-2014, 11:41 AM
I cannot watch the video - what's up??

ANYTHING I watch on goduke.com gets buffered at least once a second.

I regularly watch (HD) movies on Netflix, live local TV broadcasts, ESPN3.com events, YouTube offerings, and the like without any trouble.

But if there is a video on goduke.com the chances are pretty good I cannot view it. . . . So far as I know, all software updates are in place. I've tried watching the video both on IE 11.0.2 and on Firefox 26.0 with similar problems encountered on both. I have a Win7 system.

Ideas?

( Is the locker room video available elsewhere, i.e. other than on goduke.com ??? )

Thanks!

k

I had the same issue on my PC (IE and Chrome) but no problem watching it on my phone.

allenmurray
01-21-2014, 11:44 AM
Isn't his name Sam? I seem to remember a printed story about that relationship that was published or linked in a thread here - some years ago. Isn't it somehow related to the gold pin that K wears on his left lapel? Maybe it is old age and a slipping memory. Anyone recall that?

I believe that Sam is actually the son of a frequent poster on this site. He has a significant physical disability and is a big duke fan, but is not the same person referenced above. To respect confidentiality I'll say no more unless the poster wants to chime in.

allenmurray
01-21-2014, 11:46 AM

I don't know if the family wants any publicity so I will keep this brief. The sister of the man with Down Syndrome who is behind the bench for EVERY home game used to work for me. She is the most gifted educator and school administrator I've ever known in my 25 years in this field.

DevilWearsPrada
01-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks for posting the video of President Bush in the locker room. I have watched it 3 times, and shared the link with several others.

So wonderful that President Bush Always wanted to attend a Duke Game!!! Loved that President Bush had on a Duke Blue Shirt and Socks!!!

We are so blessed to have such a honorable Basketball Coach that gives so much of his time for worthy causes, such as Cancer Research and Development. Coach K is a very busy man, but still keeps giving and giving. From the video, I learned what the pin stands for that he wears on his suit lapel.