PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC - 1/20-1/26

pfrduke
01-20-2014, 10:01 AM
We're three weeks into conference play and the conference has comfortably stratified into the haves and the have nots. 7 ACC teams are over .500 in conference play, and 6 of the ACC's 7 likely tournament teams (as of now) come from that group. The only one in the top half likely to end up on the outside looking in is Maryland; from the bottom half, Carolina is still a favorite to pick up a tourney berth (they have both the name on the front of the jersey and the single best collection of non-conference wins in the country). This week's slate predominantly matches up the top against the bottom - the only matchups between teams currently above .500 are Pitt-Clemson on Tuesday, Pitt-Maryland on Saturday, and Duke-FSU on Saturday. The top needs to continue to hold serve against the bottom - right now, Duke (to Notre Dame) is the only +.500 team to lose to a current sub-.500 team.

Monday has Virginia playing host to UNC. I'm not sure I can recall a game between the two where Virginia was a more heavy favorite - the Cavs are giving 7 in the consensus betting lines and I think most neutral observers expect Virginia to win. Defenses that require disciplined offenses to beat them have not been a good matchup for the Heels so far this season and UNC should struggle to score against a Virginia team that packs the paint. Carolina may need to get Paige and McDonald free from the outside to stay competitive. Maryland begins its Tobacco Road farewell tour (the Terps play at State, UNC, and Duke without any return visits) with a trip to NC State. State is likely to be marginally tougher on its home court, but (as we all saw Saturday), this is not a very good basketball team, particularly outside of TJ Warren.

[15]Virginia hosts [40]North Carolina (7, ESPN)
[103]NC State hosts [64]Maryland (9, ESPNU)

Tuesday starts a brutal road test for the Clemson Tigers with a trip to Pitt (followed by road games against UNC and FSU). The Panthers looked every bit the league title contender in the matchup against Syracuse this weekend. Expect a slow paced, low scoring, defensive struggle. In other action, FSU hosts Notre Dame and Boston College hosts Georgia Tech. For some reason, ESPN deemed the latter game worthy of a national television broadcast.

[6]Pittsburgh hosts [32]Clemson (8, ESPN3)
[18]Florida State hosts [84]Notre Dame (8, ESPN3)
[159]Boston College hosts [156]Georgia Tech (9, ESPNU)

Wednesday sends Duke to Miami looking both for its first road win and to avenge last year's 27-point drubbing. Virginia Tech plays host to Wake. There's a scenario in which Wake gets hot and goes on a 4-game winning streak to end the month (they follow the trip to Blacksburg with 3 in a row at home, although one of those is against Syracuse) and gets itself into the at large conversation, but that scenario depends upon not losing the initial game to a bad Virginia Tech team on the road. Given Jeff Bzdelik's road performance as the Deacs head coach, let's just say I'm not holding my breath.

[60]Miami hosts [20]Duke (7:30, ESPN2)
[168]Virginia Tech hosts [87]Wake Forest (7, ESPN3)

Thursday and Friday are dark.

Saturday is headlined by Duke-Florida State. The Devils have had precisely no trouble scoring in Cameron, even against good defensive teams (hi Virginia), but Florida State has played the Devils tough in recent history and, as is par for the course with a Leonard Hamilton team, they throw a lot of long, athletic bodies at you that interfere with passing lanes, change shooting angles, and just generally cause trouble. By the same token, FSU is extremely vulnerable to turnovers on offense and the new high pace pressing style that Duke has been running could wreak havoc in FSU's backcourt. In other action, Syracuse gets its first even semi-difficult road game, taking on a Miami team that gave it a close contest in the Carrier Dome. Pitt also hits the road, traveling to Maryland. The Panthers are a better team and should win, but road games are tricky business. Finally, Virginia gets a break from a somewhat rough stretch of games with the Hokies coming to town, and Wake Forest hosts Notre Dame.

[20]Duke hosts [18]Florida State (12, ESPN)
[60]Miami hosts [2]Syracuse (1, CBS)
[87]Wake Forest hosts [84]Notre Dame (3, ESPN3)
[15]Virginia hosts [168]Virginia Tech (3, ESPN3)
[64]Maryland hosts [6]Pittsburgh (6, ESPN2)

Sunday offers what almost certainly will be false hope. The Heels have been struggling (particularly scoring against good defenses). The Tigers have been playing well. The "this could be the year" thought lurks. But somethings, like death and taxes, are inevitable, and Clemson losing in Chapel Hill is one of those things. At least it's a fun Sunday night ACC game, for once.

[103]NC State hosts [156]Georgia Tech (1, ESPN3)
[40]North Carolina hosts [32]Clemson (6, ESPNU)

ACC Non-Conference Record: 138-53
ACC Record vs. BCS: 29-33

GGLC
01-20-2014, 10:13 AM
As always, thanks so much for doing this.

Bob Green
01-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Monday has Virginia playing host to UNC. I'm not sure I can recall a game between the two where Virginia was a more heavy favorite - the Cavs are giving 7 in the consensus betting lines and I think most neutral observers expect Virginia to win. Defenses that require disciplined offenses to beat them have not been a good matchup for the Heels so far this season and UNC should struggle to score against a Virginia team that packs the paint. Carolina may need to get Paige and McDonald free from the outside to stay competitive.

I am anxiously awaiting tonight's game but I am attempting to control my expectations as Virginia has disappointed me several times in the past when I expected a good showing from them.

Troublemaker
01-20-2014, 11:06 AM
Monday[FONT=verdana] has Virginia playing host to UNC. I'm not sure I can recall a game between the two where Virginia was a more heavy favorite - the Cavs are giving 7 in the consensus betting lines and I think most neutral observers expect Virginia to win. Defenses that require disciplined offenses to beat them have not been a good matchup for the Heels so far this season and UNC should struggle to score against a Virginia team that packs the paint. Carolina may need to get Paige and McDonald free from the outside to stay competitive.

Maybe I'm being a slave to recency, but I find it hard to imagine UVA won't have an easy time tonight. Something like 68-48 Cavs over Heels. If it weren't for the opponent being UNC, I'd be rooting heavily against UVA, who has the easiest schedule of all the conference contenders. No offense to UVA fans, of course. I like it when you guys are good. 80s throwback. Ralph Sampson! But yeah, I want Duke to have a shot at the ACC regular season.

FerryFor50
01-20-2014, 10:40 PM
How bad is Maryland?

NCSU is missing TJ Warren and still beating Maryland.

-jk
01-20-2014, 11:21 PM
If I read the box score correctly, there were 97 rebounds in the State game.

Not a particularly good game on either end.

-jk

Dev11
01-20-2014, 11:27 PM
How bad is Maryland?

A loud and proud "A C C!" cheer directed at Maryland warms my heart every time. Way to go, Pack

OldPhiKap
01-20-2014, 11:29 PM
A loud and proud "A C C!" cheer directed at Maryland warms my heart every time. Way to go, Pack

My favorite thing about Maryland is that I don't have to give a rip about them after June.

Good riddance.

Olympic Fan
01-20-2014, 11:42 PM
Awesome Monday night ... The Cheats lose big at Virginia and the Big Ten bound Terps lose to NC State -- on a night when the Pack has to play without its best player.

Maybe we can get an NIT matchip between the Cheats and the Twerps!

westwall
01-20-2014, 11:50 PM

The Pack fans' "ACC" cheer at the end was duly noted by Maryland's radio team.

devildeac
01-21-2014, 08:08 AM
My favorite thing about Maryland is that I don't have to give a rip about them after June.

Good riddance.

Wait, you still give a rip about them now:rolleyes:?

Oh, and please leave your check at the door.

JasonEvans
01-21-2014, 08:41 AM

If you told me NCSU minus Warren was playing a decent high school team, I'd have bet on the high school kids. I am flabbergasted that they beat another ACC team without Warren.

Ooops... wait... Maryland is not an ACC team. Nevermind.

-Jason "I am sure this loss is part of the Twerps master plan to get out of the $50 mil withdrawal fee... their lawyers are soooo clever" Evans

Olympic Fan
01-21-2014, 07:24 PM
Can't believe that there are two decent ACC games tonight and neither is available on TV.

Clemson at Pitt and Notre Dame at FSU both have interest to me. But they start at the same time (8 p.m.) and they are only available on ESPN3 ...

Meanwhile, a truly meaningless game between Georgia Tech at Boston College is on the U at 9 p.m.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Newton_14
01-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Can't believe that there are two decent ACC games tonight and neither is available on TV.

Clemson at Pitt and Notre Dame at FSU both have interest to me. But they start at the same time (8 p.m.) and they are only available on ESPN3 ...

Meanwhile, a truly meaningless game between Georgia Tech at Boston College is on the U at 9 p.m.

That is pretty stupid. Clemson/Pitt would have been a nice game to have on ESPNU as would have ND/FSU. That would have made for a nice 7pm/9pm doubleheader. To not show either of those games, and then put GaTech/BC on the tube is very strange.

I am unable to get ESPN3 so the games being there are of no help to me.

Have to wonder who made those decisions and what the thought process was.

Bob Green
01-21-2014, 08:33 PM

I'm watching on ESPN3 and Pitt is dismantling Clemson early. It is 24-10.

dball
01-21-2014, 08:38 PM

Pitt-Clemson game is on channel 20 in Northern Virginia. ACC network.

Troublemaker
01-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Pitt's such a great passing team. Duke's offense is slightly more effective because we shoot better than them, but Pitt's offense is slightly more aesthetically pleasing with their constant motion and precision passing, at least to me.

FerryFor50
01-21-2014, 09:34 PM
Pitt's such a great passing team. Duke's offense is slightly more effective because we shoot better than them, but Pitt's offense is slightly more aesthetically pleasing with their constant motion and precision passing, at least to me.

Pitt has held Clemson to 29 points on 30% shooting so far. There is 9 min remaining.

For the record, Blossomgame, who went 5-10 with two three pointers against Duke is 0-4 so far. Figures.

roywhite
01-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Pitt has held Clemson to 29 points on 30% shooting so far. There is 9 min remaining.

For the record, Blossomgame, who went 5-10 with two three pointers against Duke is 0-4 so far. Figures.

Yeah, final is Pitt 76 -- Clemson 43 (http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400502805) with the ESPN boxscore linked.

And Blossomgame is exactly the guy I was going to talk about, even before seeing your post.

14 points and 14 rebounds vs Duke; he looked like an emerging (dare I say blossoming) star.

In other ACC games, his production has been a bit less:
0 points here vs Pitt on 0-6 shooting
2 points vs Wake
6 points vs Va Tech
0 points vs FL State
etc.

Drives me nuts to see some mediocre guys play out of their minds vs Duke and have their season-best or career-best games. Seems to happen a lot.

Troublemaker
01-21-2014, 10:10 PM
And Notre Dame just lost at FSU in the waning seconds on an Ian Miller shot.

Darn, was hoping ND could get an impressive win so our loss to them doesn't look so bad in the end. But ND is probably a sub-.500 ACC team when it's all said and done.

Oh well.

Troublemaker
01-21-2014, 10:12 PM

Yeah Pitt's not too shabby on D, either. Like I keep saying, UVA and Pitt scare me more than Syracuse because they have more favorable ACC schedules than Cuse.

And Clemson is not a good team, unfortunately. Duke just made them look good.

The ACC is a 5-bid league: Duke, UVA, Pitt, Cuse, FSU

CDu
01-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Yeah Pitt's not too shabby on D, either. Like I keep saying, UVA and Pitt scare me more than Syracuse because they have more favorable ACC schedules than Cuse.

And Clemson is not a good team, unfortunately. Duke just made them look good.

The ACC is a 5-bid league: Duke, UVA, Pitt, Cuse, FSU

As of right now, I am inclined to agree. Though I would hold judment on FSU until they get a rsume-building win. Right now, all they have are close losses to good teams, which will get overlooked by the committee.

FerryFor50
01-21-2014, 10:59 PM
As of right now, I am inclined to agree. Though I would hold judment on FSU until they get a rsume-building win. Right now, all they have are close losses to good teams, which will get overlooked by the committee.

Hopefully that signature win isn't against Duke...

CDu
01-21-2014, 11:11 PM
Hopefully that signature win isn't against Duke...

Agreed. They are big, physical, athletic, and strong defensively. So, like Clemson, they could give us trouble. But they are REALLY up and down offensively.

FerryFor50
01-21-2014, 11:15 PM
But they are REALLY up and down offensively.

So is Clemson... :(

JBDuke
01-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Wake is undefeated at home and now has a winning record in the conference at 4-3, and their only losses are at UVA, at Pitt, and at Clemson. They are 15-6 overall, and their other losses are to Xavier, Tennessee, and Kansas.

Don't hear any screaming for Bzdelik's head this season so far...

pfrduke
01-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Wake is undefeated at home and now has a winning record in the conference at 4-3, and their only losses are at UVA, at Pitt, and at Clemson. They are 15-6 overall, and their other losses are to Xavier, Tennessee, and Kansas.

Don't hear any screaming for Bzdelik's head this season so far...

As I mentioned above, they could play their way into the at large conversation with win Wednesday against Syracuse. Do that and beat Tech (also at home), and they'll finish the week at 17-6, 6-3, with a big win over the Orange. They also get two shots at Duke down the stretch. But otherwise, the chances for resume wins are a little sparse.

Even so, an NIT bid would be leaps and bounds ahead of what Bzdelik has accomplished so far.

FerryFor50
01-25-2014, 08:46 PM
Pitt takes down Maryland, but it wasn't easy for them.

Gave up 79 points to the 123rd best offense in kenpom. Won by 4.

Looking ahead perhaps?

FerryFor50
01-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Heckuva game between NCSU and Ga Tech. Tie game in OT, TJ Warren hits a shot with 6 seconds left. Tech pushes it up the court, but the ball handler pushes off for an offensive foul. State misses both FTs and GT has a chance to win or tie with 2.2 seconds left and barely misses a 3pt shot.

State pulls it out, but man... Letting GT push you to the brink at home? Tough year to be a State fan.

CDu
01-26-2014, 03:37 PM
Heckuva game between NCSU and Ga Tech. Tie game in OT, TJ Warren hits a shot with 6 seconds left. Tech pushes it up the court, but the ball handler pushes off for an offensive foul. State misses both FTs and GT has a chance to win or tie with 2.2 seconds left and barely misses a 3pt shot.

State pulls it out, but man... Letting GT push you to the brink at home? Tough year to be a State fan.

Yup. I have a few friends who are State grads, and they've long since accepted that this would be a down year. They're really young and inexperienced. Had Brown stayed and had they gotten Josh Davis (who grad-transferred to SDSU instead of returning home to State), they would have been really interesting. But they are too young at PG, too young in the post, and too lacking in scorers (Warren notwithstanding). It's a bad combination.

Henderson
01-26-2014, 04:39 PM
I'll be pulling for Miami to beat Maryland this week in College Park. It's been fun watching the Terps sink like a frozen turtle this year. 11-9 on the season, including an embarrassing home loss to Oregon State. Looking at their remaining schedule, they could easily go 2-9 to finish the regular season, which would put them at 13-18 on the season. And that's only because they have VT twice on their remaining schedule. 14-17 is probably likely. Maybe 15-16. Maybe. Once the ACC tournament is over, a winning season seems out of reach for them. Now that's a shame.

Enjoy the B1G, guys.