PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at Miami - Pre-Game and In-Game Thread (Wed 1930 EST, Espn2)

JBDuke
01-19-2014, 08:48 AM
Duke travels to southern Florida for a matchup with the 'Canes Wednesday night at 7:30 pm. The game will be televised on ESPN2.

Please put your pre-game and in-game thoughts here.

davekay1971
01-19-2014, 09:34 AM
This could be an important growth game for our team. They played extremely well in destroying State in Cameron. Doing that against a better coached team, away from home, is the next challenge. Even more importantly, responding, away from home, when the opponent ups their intensity, is a challenge this team has yet to meet. We've been the scariest team in America with a 10 point lead and less than 10 minutes to go (and not in a good way). We all know the upside that this team has. We all know Coach K is about the best coach in America to help a team achieve that upside. I think they took a big step yesterday. Doing it on the road, against a Jim Larranaga coached team, is another story, and would be a huge step forward.

Troublemaker
01-19-2014, 10:04 AM
This is the real test, as much as I enjoyed drilling NCSU.

Larranaga will actually have a good gameplan that tests our weaknesses.

Disregard Miami's 147th offense ranking in KenPom. They're going to play much better than that.

Larranaga is going to spread us out, sometimes lifting all five of his players beyond the 3-pt line. Once spread out, he's going to try to drive, ball screen and drive, backdoor bounce-pass, and backdoor lob Duke to death. Can we finally defend those things? That's the test.

Oh, and they play a very good matchup zone as well. Will we struggle or will we pick that apart?

Saratoga2
01-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Coach K came up with the concept of line change to get this team going, something virtually no one on the board had suggested. I think he is up to the task of getting the most from these kids at this time. It will be a challenge since it is a road game against a scrappy well coached team. Go Duke!

devildeac
01-19-2014, 11:03 AM
In the Raleigh N&O today, K expressed gratitude to the former POTUS for attending the game yesterday and referred to him as a good luck charm, inviting him to the game in Miami, too. K didn't think he'd attend so K said we'd just have to do it on our own;). He also referenced some extra work Parker had done with Capel the last several days in recognizing what the defense was allowing and allowing him a bit more freedom in exercising his own judgment whether to shoot/drive/pass. Looking forward to more of that against the U.

cptnflash
01-19-2014, 12:38 PM
This is the real test, as much as I enjoyed drilling NCSU.
Larranaga will actually have a good gameplan that tests our weaknesses.

Disregard Miami's 147th offense ranking in KenPom. They're going to play much better than that.

Larranaga is going to spread us out, sometimes lifting all five of his players beyond the 3-pt line. Once spread out, he's going to try to drive, ball screen and drive, backdoor bounce-pass, and backdoor lob Duke to death. Can we finally defend those things? That's the test.

Oh, and they play a very good matchup zone as well. Will we struggle or will we pick that apart?

+1 to that assessment. I actually think the next four games are the most important (and certainly the most difficult) 4 game stretch of our season. If we can take 3 of the next 4, I'll be ecstatic. It gets much easier after that.

hurleyfor3
01-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Miami has the slowest tempo in all of D-I. Fourth from the bottom is Clemson.

Olympic Fan
01-19-2014, 01:24 PM

Actually, I think Miami's offensive ranking is well earned.

The 'Canes do other things well ... they control tempo (as hurley noted -- they play the slowest tempo in Div. 1). They play good defense (third in ACC play in field goal percentage defense) and they don't foul. They rebound at just about the same rate as Duke (slightly better offensive rebound rate, slightly worse defensive rebound rate)

But their offense is not very good -- I'm not basing that on the fact that they are last in the ACC in scoring (that's a function of their tempo), but they are 13th in the ACC field goal percentage, 11th in 3-point percentage and in a three-way tie for ninth in turnover margin.

I'm basing those rankings on play in the ACC, since in the pre-ACC season, they were pretty bad, losing at home to the likes of St. Francis and Central Florida. During this period, they also lost an early ACC game at home (in OT) to a terrible Virginia Tech team.

But since conference play started for real after New Year's, Miami has been VERY tough to play -- they won at UNC, led Syracuse at Syracuse at the final TV timeout and now have won at Georgia Tech. They did also lose by 10 at home to FSU.

Obviously, it took Larranaga time to put this team together. He graduated the top six players off last year's team. The No. 7 man from last year -- senior wingman Rion Brown -- is his top scorer, although he's shooting just 40.4 percent from the floor and 28.4 from the 3-point line. The No. 2 scorer is fifth year senior wing Garrius Adams, who missed last season with an injury.

I think their two most dangerous players are fifth-year senior big man Donnavan Kirk and junior power forward James Kelly. They get support from a rough, but very athletic center in Tonye Jekiri.

Two freshmen share the point -- Manu Lecomte is a tiny playmaker from Belgium, while Davon Reed is a combo guard who has never played the position before.

Amazing to me how old they were. After last year, they lost a 6-year senior, a fifth-year senior and four regular seniors. This team plays two fifth-year seniors (Adams and Kirk) and two four-year seniors (Brown and Swoope). Only the two points are young.

It's a team Duke will beat if the Devils play well ... but it's going to be a long, frustrating night.

pfrduke
01-19-2014, 01:40 PM
We've got to try to speed Miami up. They've been excellent at controlling pace this season and both their offense and defense plays better (on average) in lower possession games.

Bob Green
01-19-2014, 02:23 PM
A subplot for this game is the need for the team to win a road game prior to traveling to Pitt and Syracuse. Let's beat the 'Canes to start a road winning streak and carry it forward against the Panthers and Orange.

RoyalBlue08
01-19-2014, 02:38 PM
We've got to try to speed Miami up. They've been excellent at controlling pace this season and both their offense and defense plays better (on average) in lower possession games.

It would be nice to speed them up, but you also have to be careful how you do this. Carolina tried to trap and press them, and got torn to pieces with precision passing. It might be that we could do a better job with quicker athletes and just a better effort, but it could also backfire.

DBFAN
01-19-2014, 03:43 PM
I still haven't figured out how SYU still hasn't had to play a decent team on the road in conference play. I know this seems childish, and it all evens out eventually, but Duke has to play SYU, Pitt, and UNC on the road in the First half, while SYU only road games thus far in Conference is BC, and VT ( I think, I could be wrong), and I'm not really sure if VT constitutes as a real team

Dukehky
01-19-2014, 04:04 PM
I think that we really need to take care of business in these next two games. I'm sure the game at Miami last year, although two completely different teams, is still fresh in the minds of our returning players and has been conveyed to the new guys. I actually expect us to win this game handily, which is the first time I've thought that going on the road this year.

We need this game and FSU pretty badly before we hit the brutal back to back at Pitt and at Cuse. Ideally we win both of those games, but realistically I think that getting 1 of the 2 would be a big accomplishment. This is a key stretch in the ACC season, and at Miami will show if Duke has actually grown or if we just beat two decent and/or bad teams at home. Winning on the road in the ACC as proven to be kind of a crap shoots, but good teams win on the road, so I think we'll see if we really have turned the corner in Coral Gables. For the record, I think we have. I just hope K doesn't revert to old habits of playing 6-7 guys because Miami doesn't have a Shane Larkin this year. Put Sheed, Jones, Thornton on their PG and wear his backside out.

Clay Feet POF
01-19-2014, 04:38 PM
I just hope K doesn't revert to old habits of playing 6-7 guys because Miami doesn't have a Shane Larkin this year. Put Sheed, Jones, Thornton on their PG and wear his backside out.

Agree in spades, this is not the time to slow down our developement and lose the energy & identity the team is building.

bbosbbos
01-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Miami's zone almost killed Cuse @ Cuse. I am not sure if speeding up game will be a solution. Against zone Dre might be one answer.

FerryFor50
01-19-2014, 04:49 PM

The 'Canes do other things well ... they control tempo (as hurley noted -- they play the slowest tempo in Div. 1). They play good defense (third in ACC play in field goal percentage defense) and they don't foul. They rebound at just about the same rate as Duke (slightly better offensive rebound rate, slightly worse defensive rebound rate)

But their offense is not very good -- I'm not basing that on the fact that they are last in the ACC in scoring (that's a function of their tempo), but they are 13th in the ACC field goal percentage, 11th in 3-point percentage and in a three-way tie for ninth in turnover margin.

I'm basing those rankings on play in the ACC, since in the pre-ACC season, they were pretty bad, losing at home to the likes of St. Francis and Central Florida. During this period, they also lost an early ACC game at home (in OT) to a terrible Virginia Tech team.

But since conference play started for real after New Year's, Miami has been VERY tough to play -- they won at UNC, led Syracuse at Syracuse at the final TV timeout and now have won at Georgia Tech. They did also lose by 10 at home to FSU.

Obviously, it took Larranaga time to put this team together. He graduated the top six players off last year's team. The No. 7 man from last year -- senior wingman Rion Brown -- is his top scorer, although he's shooting just 40.4 percent from the floor and 28.4 from the 3-point line. The No. 2 scorer is fifth year senior wing Garrius Adams, who missed last season with an injury.

I think their two most dangerous players are fifth-year senior big man Donnavan Kirk and junior power forward James Kelly. They get support from a rough, but very athletic center in Tonye Jekiri.

Two freshmen share the point -- Manu Lecomte is a tiny playmaker from Belgium, while Davon Reed is a combo guard who has never played the position before.

Amazing to me how old they were. After last year, they lost a 6-year senior, a fifth-year senior and four regular seniors. This team plays two fifth-year seniors (Adams and Kirk) and two four-year seniors (Brown and Swoope). Only the two points are young.

It's a team Duke will beat if the Devils play well ... but it's going to be a long, frustrating night.

Agreed.

Larranaga's teams generally play a slow pace. Last season's Miami team, which had some real skill players, played at the 20th best efficiency (112 points per 100 possessions), which was an anomaly for Larranaga coache teams. The previous year's team was 183rd.

This season's team plays slow because it has to. It's not very good offensively, so they cover up that deficiency with good defense. If Duke wants to win this game, they will probably need to score 70 or more. While Miami does have some completely head scratching, awful losses (and close wins) early, they've played better lately. They only lost by 5 to Syracuse (and had a real chance to pull it out), and of course, beat our friends down the road at the Dome.

They also have some players that concern me that have not been mentioned here...

Rion Brown will be a handful, I think. He can slash and shoot. He also rebounds well from the guard position and is 6'6".

Tonye Jekirir is a big, physical 7 footer who can rebound.

I also worry about Swoope, who is strong and athletic. But there is no Shane Larkin, no Reggie Johnson, no Kenny Kadji, no Durand Scott, no Trey McKinney-Jones. So, I don't see the offense being a problem, especially if Duke ends up pressuring the ball all game like they did against State. If they force turnovers and turn them into points, then Miami's defense won't be a problem either...

Troublemaker
01-19-2014, 06:09 PM
I still haven't figured out how SYU still hasn't had to play a decent team on the road in conference play. I know this seems childish, and it all evens out eventually, but Duke has to play SYU, Pitt, and UNC on the road in the First half, while SYU only road games thus far in Conference is BC, and VT ( I think, I could be wrong), and I'm not really sure if VT constitutes as a real team

Schedules don't really even out without a double round-robin in place (and even then, the timing of when you play certain teams could be a factor.)

Syracuse has a very tough schedule down the stretch.

By the end of conference season, I'm pretty sure we're going to regard UVA and/or Pitt as the biggest threats to win the regular season. It just doesn't seem that way now, when Syracuse is undefeated and #2 in the country and so forth.

Troublemaker
01-19-2014, 06:23 PM

Hey OF, the reason I believe Miami's offense is more dangerous to Duke than their ranking suggests is because Larranaga will spread Duke out, ball screen drive, and backdoor. Stuff that, for example, NCSU didn't do. Plus, we'll be on the road. To me, Wednesday will be a big test for Duke on both ends of the court, not just on offense against Miami's tough matchup zone and slow-down pace. We can certainly pass the test against Miami's offense, perhaps with flying colors if Duke has truly turned the corner, but the test is coming.

There's one particular lineup they have used and might use against Duke that will be interesting. Donovan Kirk at center, 3 wings, and Lecomte at point guard. They run 5-out motion with that lineup, similar to how Notre Dame beat Duke down the stretch. They run it with less skilled offensive players than ND but perhaps with more athleticism. If they use it, it'll be interesting to see how well we guard it.

Garrius Adams is a candidate for Duke guards to help off of. He's only shooting 24% from three and 42% from two. Jones and Thornton can cheat towards the middle and go for strips if they are guarding him.

Furniture
01-19-2014, 07:01 PM
Coach K came up with the concept of line change to get this team going, something virtually no one on the board had suggested. I think he is up to the task of getting the most from these kids at this time. It will be a challenge since it is a road game against a scrappy well coached team. Go Duke!

I thought I heard that the other coaches came up with the line change concept for this team.

Newton_14
01-19-2014, 09:24 PM
I think that we really need to take care of business in these next two games. I'm sure the game at Miami last year, although two completely different teams, is still fresh in the minds of our returning players and has been conveyed to the new guys. I actually expect us to win this game handily, which is the first time I've thought that going on the road this year.

We need this game and FSU pretty badly before we hit the brutal back to back at Pitt and at Cuse. Ideally we win both of those games, but realistically I think that getting 1 of the 2 would be a big accomplishment. This is a key stretch in the ACC season, and at Miami will show if Duke has actually grown or if we just beat two decent and/or bad teams at home. Winning on the road in the ACC as proven to be kind of a crap shoots, but good teams win on the road, so I think we'll see if we really have turned the corner in Coral Gables. For the record, I think we have. I just hope K doesn't revert to old habits of playing 6-7 guys because Miami doesn't have a Shane Larkin this year. Put Sheed, Jones, Thornton on their PG and wear his backside out.

I would just encourage folks, to not look beyond one game at a time. This Duke team is a work in progress who have now taken two steps forward over the last week, and this will be our 3rd game with the new rotation and playing style. From that standpoint, we are 2-0 with our first road game coming up. If our guys play like they have played the last two games they will have an excellent chance to win, but I certainly am not going to predict a victory let alone a comfortable one. Miami has been playing really good basketball. We will have to earn the victory Wednesday.

Dukehky
01-19-2014, 11:39 PM
I would just encourage folks, to not look beyond one game at a time. This Duke team is a work in progress who have now taken two steps forward over the last week, and this will be our 3rd game with the new rotation and playing style. From that standpoint, we are 2-0 with our first road game coming up. If our guys play like they have played the last two games they will have an excellent chance to win, but I certainly am not going to predict a victory let alone a comfortable one. Miami has been playing really good basketball. We will have to earn the victory Wednesday.

I get what you're saying here, but you posted a comment and voted on the ACC Record Prediction thread, so you looked ahead just as many of us looked ahead and continue to do so, collectively. Maybe I should have posted my thoughts on the upcoming schedule there, but I think that this game is especially key given the schedule that follows it. Players know it, coaches know it, we know it.

I stand by my prediction that we win the Miami game handily, obviously don't have a lot to base that on based on our past road performances, but I just have that feeling. Again, they're new teams and I understand that, but I think Duke comes out ready to play because I'd bet that even just for motivational purposes, K pops in the tape of the Canes slapping the floor in the Gables from last year.

kAzE
01-20-2014, 12:05 AM

For the record, it wasn't Coach K's idea, he implemented this style based on suggestions from Wojo and Capel. It was Coach K's decision to listen to those guys, and give him credit for keeping on open mind, but he wasn't the one to come up with the idea.

CLW
01-20-2014, 07:33 AM
In Kenpom's blog he mentioned that the ACC collectively now plays at the slowest temp of all of the Div I conferences. Miami is the slowest tempo team in the entire country (59.1) and has a pretty decent defense. Should be interesting to see which team can set the tempo they want. I suspect it will take allot of turnovers against the Canes to get the game going at even close to the pace we would like.

jv001
01-20-2014, 07:34 AM
For the record, it wasn't Coach K's idea, he implemented this style based on suggestions from Wojo and Capel. It was Coach K's decision to listen to those guys, and give him credit for keeping on open mind, but he wasn't the one to come up with the idea.

I'm think it was the assistant coaches idea to play a deeper bench and Coach K's idea to play the two line systems. So credit goes to the entire coaching staff and like you said, for Coach K keeping an open mind. GoDuke

superdave
01-20-2014, 09:30 AM

Hey now, I've been clamoring for a a second unit to come in and press and trap for 90 second bursts for two years now. I never believed it would actually happen, but was hopeful it would in order to keep our energy level up and get some PT for our extended bench.

That being said, if we are still doing it this March, I'll be surprised. I can see the bench minutes coming back in a little this month and next. But I am enjoying it for now.

CDu
01-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Hey now, I've been clamoring for a a second unit to come in and press and trap for 90 second bursts for two years now. I never believed it would actually happen, but was hopeful it would in order to keep our energy level up and get some PT for our extended bench.

That being said, if we are still doing it this March, I'll be surprised. I can see the bench minutes coming back in a little this month and next. But I am enjoying it for now.

Yeah, I think lots of folks have been suggesting that we go deeper, and as you note the "hockey line change" has been suggested before as well. I think the only reason it wasn't suggested specifically after the Clemson game is because Coach K has been so staunch in his stance on a short bench that nobody believed it was an option he'd consider.

It wasn't a novel concept; just novel that Coach K would go to it.

Still, glad it was given a look. Clearly, guys have responded to it (especially Jones and Sulaimon). I don't know whether it will continue, or whether it will continue to be effective. But it has clearly energized the players in a noticeable way, and it seems to have helped in terms of our results.

wk2109
01-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I think lots of folks have been suggesting that we go deeper, and as you note the "hockey line change" has been suggested before as well. I think the only reason it wasn't suggested specifically after the Clemson game is because Coach K has been so staunch in his stance on a short bench that nobody believed it was an option he'd consider.

It wasn't a novel concept; just novel that Coach K would go to it.

Coach K has actually implemented the hockey-style lineup changes before with Team USA. He did it at the 2006 World Championships, the first USA team he coached. He did it at least for the first few games of pool play, but I don't remember how long it lasted. I may be wrong, but I don't think he did it in the semifinal game where they lost to Greece.

If a team's going to use 10+ guys, it makes sense to swap 5 for 5. Each sub-unit has a chance to spend lots of practice time playing together instead of having to make constant lineup switches during practice.

MCFinARL
01-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Coach K has actually implemented the hockey-style lineup changes before with Team USA. He did it at the 2006 World Championships, the first USA team he coached. He did it at least for the first few games of pool play, but I don't remember how long it lasted. I may be wrong, but I don't think he did it in the semifinal game where they lost to Greece.

If a team's going to use 10+ guys, it makes sense to swap 5 for 5. Each sub-unit has a chance to spend lots of practice time playing together instead of having to make constant lineup switches during practice.

If a team's going to use 10+ guys, it CAN make sense to swap 5 for 5--and it has worked when used with this group because of the depth of good players and the ability to balance offense and defense to some extent on both lineups. And I agree that having sub-units practice together is valuable. But I think it is going too far to say that it would always [I recognize you did not use this word, but your phrasing seems to imply it] make sense to swap 5 for 5 when using 10+ guys--makes a difference who the guys are and how they are being used, as well as how they are playing in any particular game. What we are seeing so far with Duke is starting the game with the 5 for 5 and then gradually shifting to a variety of substitutions where 2 or 3 players come in together or, in some cases, they sub one at a time. Ideally, this can be a best of both worlds situation, where each lineup gets some time, the starters get some rest, and substitutions are then adjusted as the individual game situations dictate.

Clay Feet POF
01-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Did anyone notice in the blow out of State "if" MP3 Amile and Semi were under the basket at the same time? Seems it would be a potent rebounding unit to develope!

wk2109
01-20-2014, 11:14 AM
But I think it is going too far to say that it would always [I recognize you did not use this word, but your phrasing seems to imply it] make sense to swap 5 for 5 when using 10+ guys--makes a difference who the guys are and how they are being used, as well as how they are playing in any particular game. What we are seeing so far with Duke is starting the game with the 5 for 5 and then gradually shifting to a variety of substitutions where 2 or 3 players come in together or, in some cases, they sub one at a time. Ideally, this can be a best of both worlds situation, where each lineup gets some time, the starters get some rest, and substitutions are then adjusted as the individual game situations dictate.

I agree. I wasn't very clear -- I didn't mean that 5-for-5 should always be used, but that it makes sense to use it some of the time as opposed to exclusively mixing in 5-6 bench guys individually or a couple at a time. If there really is separation of talent throughout the roster, it makes to use the method that you describe in your post, because guys #6 and #10 (for example) in the rotation probably shouldn't be getting the same amount of minutes.

CDu
01-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Did anyone notice in the blow out of State "if" MP3 Amile and Semi were under the basket at the same time? Seems it would be a potent rebounding unit to develope!

No, that trio was never on the floor together at the same time. Ojeleye played PF, subbing in for Jefferson and Parker, except for the final 1:23 of the game where we subbed Zafirovski in for Sulaimon (pushing Ojeleye to SF).

roywhite
01-20-2014, 11:22 AM
This season's team plays slow because it has to. It's not very good offensively, so they cover up that deficiency with good defense. If Duke wants to win this game, they will probably need to score 70 or more. While Miami does have some completely head scratching, awful losses (and close wins) early, they've played better lately. They only lost by 5 to Syracuse (and had a real chance to pull it out), and of course, beat our friends down the road at the Dome.

If they force turnovers and turn them into points, then Miami's defense won't be a problem either...

Saw some of the Miami game at the Dome -- the Hurricanes confounded the Heels with the slow pace and the zone.

Some big differences between defending this season's Tarheel team and Duke:
UNC simply can't shoot well from outside -- Paige is the biggest thread and he shoots inconsistently, currently at a 35.8% mark from 3-pt. McDonald will sometimes shoot from 3-pt, but he is hitting 31.1% and Tokoto even worse.

On the other hand, Duke is shooting 41.4% as a team from 3-pt, which is truly outstanding. And talk about a variety of weapons. From those who have at least 20 3-pt attempts on the season, look at the shooting percentages from 3-pt:
Parker 40.9%
Hood 45.7%
Cook 34.8%
Dawkins 45.0%
Sulaimon 48.5%
Thornton 52.2%

Is it possible to have a game with a "lid on the basket" where the 3-pt shots are not falling? yeah, and we saw a long stretch at Notre Dame where guys were chucking it up with bad results.
But still, at any given time, Duke is likely to have 2 or more strong 3-pt threats on the floor at the same time, and should be very difficult to defend with a zone.

Troublemaker
01-20-2014, 11:24 AM
I think the platoon lines will continue, but the appearances will vary according to opponent.

In regular games, we might see line changes 3-4 times a half before mixing.

In high-level games (on the road against Pitt and Syracuse), we might see line changes 1-2 times a half before mixing.

And if, against any opponent, the platoon line is ineffective, stop and mix.

sagegrouse
01-20-2014, 11:26 AM
On the topic of wherefore, whither and whence the platoon system, let me suggest something a bit different.

For years, even decades, you win your playing time at Duke during practice, and that approach has worked well. For both defense and offense, K would like to practice intensively with the various fives that will take the court during the game. As a result, there is a limit on the number of fives that can work together; hence the game rotation has been seven or eight players. The practice competition determines these players.

Suppose, just suppose, that the starting five and the best seven or eight have been obvious in practice. But the players and lineups have stunk during a few games: lack of energy, heart, skill, and competitiveness. So, game time became practice time: you win your time on the court during the games.

It may take a few games of platoon basketball to decide, but we may revert to shorter rotations, or at least less time for the "blue team" when changes occur.

Clay Feet POF
01-20-2014, 11:43 AM
No, that trio was never on the floor together at the same time. Ojeleye played PF, subbing in for Jefferson and Parker, except for the final 1:23 of the game where we subbed Zafirovski in for Sulaimon (pushing Ojeleye to SF).

Thanks, I'll be looking for it in our next blow out.

DBFAN
01-20-2014, 12:14 PM
I really think we are gonna see more and more wrinkles added to the line changes as the season continues. In the UVA game there obviously wasn't enough time to plan, so we just saw complete line changes, with no mixing. In the State game in which they had 5 days to prepare we saw more mixing. I fully expect K to keep adding things, because he may feel that he has become somewhat predictable (no offense intended ) to the other teams and coaches. So what does the winningest coach do? He adapts and completely changes his approach

peterjswift
01-20-2014, 12:52 PM
I really think we are gonna see more and more wrinkles added to the line changes as the season continues. In the UVA game there obviously wasn't enough time to plan, so we just saw complete line changes, with no mixing. In the State game in which they had 5 days to prepare we saw more mixing. I fully expect K to keep adding things, because he may feel that he has become somewhat predictable (no offense intended ) to the other teams and coaches. So what does the winningest coach do? He adapts and completely changes his approach

Early in the season, it seemed like the team's gameplan was pure speed - run, run run and full-court press. K realized, quickly, that the team was not quite up for that, so they adjusted their game plan and became a little more methodical. The full court press has not been the norm as it seemed like it might be early in the season.

However, that still seemed to be K's goal for the team...as the team progresses and season continues, I think the team will get closer and closer to that goal. Team Offense seems to come more easily to players than Team Defense. I expect that as defense becomes more instinctual for the players, K will start getting closer to the original game plan.

I think Miami represents and excellent opportunity for K to see where his team is at when it comes to the original plan. Full court pressure could be the tool used to speed up Miami and control the pace. The use of complete line changes and utilizing a deeper bench than we're used to could be a good strategy against a plodding Miami team. Rotating fresh energy out on defense and trying to run the floor on offense is probably one of his plans.

I will be interested to see how much Duke presses in this game.

chaosmage
01-20-2014, 12:55 PM
On the topic of wherefore, whither and whence the platoon system, let me suggest something a bit different.

For years, even decades, you win your playing time at Duke during practice, and that approach has worked well. For both defense and offense, K would like to practice intensively with the various fives that will take the court during the game. As a result, there is a limit on the number of fives that can work together; hence the game rotation has been seven or eight players. The practice competition determines these players.

Suppose, just suppose, that the starting five and the best seven or eight have been obvious in practice. But the players and lineups have stunk during a few games: lack of energy, heart, skill, and competitiveness. So, game time became practice time: you win your time on the court during the games.

It may take a few games of platoon basketball to decide, but we may revert to shorter rotations, or at least less time for the "blue team" when changes occur.

Agree with your point, and adding this. Is it possible that the line changes occurred because everyone WAS busting their behinds in practice, and K, being "knocked back," simply didn't see it? Once he realized his assistants held valid points of view, he altered his philosophy.

Thoughts?

NYBri
01-20-2014, 01:04 PM

Not so sure. I think if we keep winning and keep improving, we will see this kind of rotation come March. There may be different combos, but if we keep coming together as a team and win with this rotation, it will stay until the season is over.

We have the talent, why not use it. It's a huge advantage we have over other teams and it's counterintuitive not to use it to its fullest.

NYBri
01-20-2014, 01:14 PM
I also like the idea of MP3 on the floor with JP. Takes some of the pressure off JP to defend the 1 all the time.

FerryFor50
01-20-2014, 01:19 PM
I also like the idea of MP3 on the floor with JP. Takes some of the pressure off JP to defend the 1 all the time.

Think you meant the 5. JP doesn't defend the opposing PG very much. :)

NSDukeFan
01-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Saw some of the Miami game at the Dome -- the Hurricanes confounded the Heels with the slow pace and the zone.

Some big differences between defending this season's Tarheel team and Duke:
UNC simply can't shoot well from outside -- Paige is the biggest thread and he shoots inconsistently, currently at a 35.8% mark from 3-pt. McDonald will sometimes shoot from 3-pt, but he is hitting 31.1% and Tokoto even worse.

On the other hand, Duke is shooting 41.4% as a team from 3-pt, which is truly outstanding. And talk about a variety of weapons. From those who have at least 20 3-pt attempts on the season, look at the shooting percentages from 3-pt:
Parker 40.9%
Hood 45.7%
Cook 34.8%
Dawkins 45.0%
Sulaimon 48.5%
Thornton 52.2%

Is it possible to have a game with a "lid on the basket" where the 3-pt shots are not falling? yeah, and we saw a long stretch at Notre Dame where guys were chucking it up with bad results.
But still, at any given time, Duke is likely to have 2 or more strong 3-pt threats on the floor at the same time, and should be very difficult to defend with a zone.
Pretty sure Thornton's numbers are incorrect as it has been pointed out countless times how he is not very talented and an untalented player would not be able to shoot that high of a percentage for half a season.

I remember coach K mentioning at some point that he plays the best players and plays the best players a lot if their is a big gap between the production of a starter and bench player. I wonder if Parker's struggles until recently contributed some to the more equal playing time. At the beginning of the year, there was a huge gap between his play (and Hood's) and their bench replacements. With Parker going through a mini-slump (for him), perhaps the gap wasn't so large between the starters and the bench and it was worth using the bench players more, even if it wasn't coach K's idea.

Troublemaker
01-20-2014, 03:57 PM
The specific way the line changes were implemented is even more impressive than the line change idea itself. Great job by the coaches for utilizing these two PG-SG-SF units:

Cook-Jones-Hood
Sheed-Thornton-Dawkins

So far, there's just seemingly great synergy on both those units. None of these individual players are complete players, but these two units provide a very good blend of playmaking, shooting, on-ball defense, off-ball defense, leadership, and size. Other possible perimeter combinations don't tick off all the checkboxes; they would be extremely plentiful in like three areas but relatively lacking in other areas. It's the overall blend that's important, not just playing more players haphazardly. For example, I completely agree with all the folks who've pointed out that giving Sheed primary playmaking responsibilities on his own unit was brilliant. That move has really unleashed his potential. To use Coach K's analogy, Sheed's no longer an action star that spends all his time trying to become a good dramatic actor. Now he gets to make box office action movie hits while still working on his supporting actor role in a drama next to Jabari and Rodney.

Edouble
01-20-2014, 04:50 PM
The specific way the line changes were implemented is even more impressive than the line change idea itself. Great job by the coaches for utilizing these two PG-SG-SF units:

Cook-Jones-Hood
Sheed-Thornton-Dawkins

So far, there's just seemingly great synergy on both those units. None of these individual players are complete players, but these two units provide a very good blend of playmaking, shooting, on-ball defense, off-ball defense, leadership, and size. Other possible perimeter combinations don't tick off all the checkboxes; they would be extremely plentiful in like three areas but relatively lacking in other areas. It's the overall blend that's important, not just playing more players haphazardly. For example, I completely agree with all the folks who've pointed out that giving Sheed primary playmaking responsibilities on his own unit was brilliant. That move has really unleashed his potential. To use Coach K's analogy, Sheed's no longer an action star that spends all his time trying to become a good dramatic actor. Now he gets to make box office action movie hits while still working on his supporting actor role in a drama next to Jabari and Rodney.

I would nitpick that the second group doesn't offer much in terms of size (which is why a 7 footer like MP3 is so valuable to the grouping), and I'm not sure that the first group offers much in terms of leadership. I'm still not convinced of Rodney's leadership abilities, which is probably part of the reason why Thornton and Hairston were in the starting lineup for so long. I certainly agree with the overall point though, that the two units appear to be the best combinations of those talents.

NYBri
01-20-2014, 07:43 PM
Think you meant the 5. JP doesn't defend the opposing PG very much. :)

My bad. :)

dukechem
01-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Bump.

Wow, there are two threads about UNC on the first page, and this thread about our game tomorrow has fallen to the second page! I hope the team is more focused than the fans.

-jk
01-21-2014, 06:55 PM
Miami folks on the game:

http://www.stateoftheu.com/2014/1/21/5332474/video-coaches-players-prep-for-duke

-jk

arnie
01-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Miami folks on the game:

http://www.stateoftheu.com/2014/1/21/5332474/video-coaches-players-prep-for-duke

-jk

Vegas has us as 5 to 5.5 favorite tomorrow. Similar to lines at Clemson and ND earlier. Have to be ready to play if we hope to win.

Troublemaker
01-21-2014, 08:51 PM
Duke opens as 4.5 / 5-pt favorites. That's right around the area we were favored by at ND and at Clemson. Hopefully we are better equipped to put together a full 40 minutes of solid ball this time around with the deeper rotation.

g-money
01-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Vegas has us as 5 to 5.5 favorite tomorrow. Similar to lines at Clemson and ND earlier. Have to be ready to play if we hope to win.

Duke opens as 4.5 / 5-pt favorites. That's right around the area we were favored by at ND and at Clemson. Hopefully we are better equipped to put together a full 40 minutes of solid ball this time around with the deeper rotation.

By chance, would you two happen to be identical twins that were separated at birth? :)

arnie
01-21-2014, 09:02 PM
By chance, would you two happen to be identical twins that were separated at birth? :)

The timing and wording on those two posts is troubling.

devildeac
01-21-2014, 10:14 PM

They could be identical strangers:rolleyes:.

(I actually heard that response once when a set of twins were asked if they were indeed twins.)

Another strange one I heard was when a set of triplets were asked, "Are you three twins?" I kid you not.

Troublemaker
01-21-2014, 10:19 PM

I don't eat puppies or whatever it is that arnie does.

Merlindevildog91
01-21-2014, 10:25 PM

(I actually heard that response once when a set of twins were asked if they were indeed twins.)

Another strange one I heard was when a set of triplets were asked, "Are you three twins?" I kid you not.

My friend has twin six year sons. One has blonde hair and blue eyes, the other has bright red hair and green eyes. They look absolutely nothing alike. A mutual friend asked me, "are Jennifer's sons IDENTICAL twins?"

Returning to the topic at hand, I don't know what to think about the Miami game, since we have had absolutely no success on anyone else's floor and I have a lot of respect for Jim Larranaga and his ability to coach up his team. (Yes, I have a TON of respect for Coach K. But this year's installment of players has yet to give me a warm, fuzzy feeling.)

sagegrouse
01-21-2014, 10:41 PM

Triplets A, B, and C = twins AB, AC, and BC?

My first organized team was a six-man tackle football team and the three backs were triplets -- two identical and a spunky little guy who played QB for our team. We won all of our games -- I was seven.

I thought triplets were no big deal, but it was many decades before I ran into another set.

Furniture
01-21-2014, 11:34 PM
Miami folks on the game:

-jk

Nice kids...Funny how the press are consistently trying to bring the subject of last years Miami win..

kmspeaks
01-22-2014, 09:32 AM
My friend has twin six year sons. One has blonde hair and blue eyes, the other has bright red hair and green eyes. They look absolutely nothing alike. A mutual friend asked me, "are Jennifer's sons IDENTICAL twins?"

Returning to the topic at hand, I don't know what to think about the Miami game, since we have had absolutely no success on anyone else's floor and I have a lot of respect for Jim Larranaga and his ability to coach up his team. (Yes, I have a TON of respect for Coach K. But this year's installment of players has yet to give me a warm, fuzzy feeling.)

My younger brother and sister are twins and I've lost count of how many times people have asked if they're identical.

MCFinARL
01-22-2014, 10:28 AM
My younger brother and sister are twins and I've lost count of how many times people have asked if they're identical.

People's capacity to miss the blatantly obvious never ceases to amaze me.

Bob Green
01-22-2014, 10:56 AM
People's capacity to miss the blatantly obvious never ceases to amaze me.

All one has to do is read the DBR. :D I mean folks actually disagree with me sometimes. :confused:

I look forward to facing Miami's zone defense. Jefferson will need a strong game operating in the high post orchestrating ball movement to create open shots. That extra pass will be critical. If we have a good night shooting the ball, all will be good, if we struggle from the perimeter, it will be tough. Dawkins needs to have a hot hand.

jv001
01-22-2014, 11:06 AM
All one has to do is read the DBR. :D I mean folks actually disagree with me sometimes. :confused:

I look forward to facing Miami's zone defense. Jefferson will need a strong game operating in the high post orchestrating ball movement to create open shots. That extra pass will be critical. If we have a good night shooting the ball, all will be good, if we struggle from the perimeter, it will be tough. Dawkins needs to have a hot hand.

I've been thinking about tonight's game and I agree we need to hit our open shots from the perimeter. Dawkins will probably be guarded closely in the match up zone. I'm hoping the guys are focused and have lot's of energy but not impatient. In other words, take good shots and don't rush things. I'm looking for a close game. GoDuke!

NSDukeFan
01-22-2014, 11:09 AM
I've been thinking about tonight's game and I agree we need to hit our open shots from the perimeter. Dawkins will probably be guarded closely in the match up zone. I'm hoping the guys are focused and have lot's of energy but not impatient. In other words, take good shots and don't rush things. I'm looking for a close game. GoDuke!

Fortunately, the new and improved Dawkins can still be effective even if he is guarded closely at the 3-point line.

jv001
01-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Fortunately, the new and improved Dawkins can still be effective even if he is guarded closely at the 3-point line.

I agree with you. Andre is a vastly improved player. He can put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket, he can hit the mid-range jumper and best of all he's a much better defender. It's evident Andre worked hard during the summer as he's looks to be in better condition. He's a valuable weapon now and not a liability(defense). He could be a game breaker tonight. GoDuke!

Troublemaker
01-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Not great news for followers of line movement. The spread is now down to 4 and I see 3.5 in one place.

Certainly this movement is not due to public betting. Duke is a very popular public team and we just came off a 35-pt thrashing of our previous opponent. I've seen indications that 75% of the bets coming in are on Duke.

So this is classic reverse line movement, which means the sharps are on Miami tonight. I happen to think they're wrong (which they will be 46 to 42% of the time). Duke wins and covers is my belief.

-bdbd
01-22-2014, 12:01 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/game/preview/l.ncaa.org.mbasket-2013-e.67767/

Here's another game preview. Sounds like a strong Duke offense matching up against Miami's strength - their defense. They certainly seem to lack a lot of scoring punch...

hurleyfor3
01-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Certainly this movement is not due to public betting... I've seen indications that 75% of the bets coming in are on Duke.

Ummm....

Troublemaker
01-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Did I write something lacking clarity again? I do that sometimes.

Here's the gist, hurley. Duke opened as 5-pt favorites. The majority of the bets have come in on Duke, so you would expect that line to get larger not smaller if it moves at all.

The fact that the line has shrunk to 4 points is called reverse line movement and is considered a tell-tale sign that sharp gamblers are on Miami.

hurleyfor3
01-22-2014, 12:29 PM
Oh, OK. I was too busy doing math in the other thread (that is over everyone else's heads, but I guess you can relate to that).

jipops
01-22-2014, 03:17 PM
I have nothing new to add other than I believe this to be a very difficult matchup for us similar to Clemson. We will struggle to score and have to rely on our defense which so far has not been a good thing, even against poor offenses. We've shown the ability to defend when our own shots are going down. Will we when they're not? I could easily see us dropping this one but the sky won't be falling if we do. This Miami team is a very tough out due to their defense.

riverside6
01-22-2014, 07:19 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Miami, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=20067

theAlaskanBear
01-22-2014, 07:22 PM
What genius in programming decided to put Colin's Cage Confessionals right before the Duke game.

Newton_14
01-22-2014, 07:29 PM
What genius in programming decided to put Colin's Cage Confessionals right before the Duke game.

Thought it was just me. This may be the worst tv show I have ever watched. Now I am sick as a dog with some sort of cold/sore throat/virus, so factor that in, but my head hurts worse from this being on my tv screen the last 30 minutes. ugh.

CDu
01-22-2014, 07:29 PM

Cowherd a blowhard, and that show stinks. But Kevin Hart is a funny little dude.

Ggallagher
01-22-2014, 07:31 PM
Well crap, didn't expect Dickie V. Gotta crank up Mr. Harris.

theAlaskanBear
01-22-2014, 07:32 PM
Thought it was just me. This may be the worst tv show I have ever watched. Now I am sick as a dog with some sort of cold/sore throat/virus, so factor that in, but my head hurts worse from this being on my tv screen the last 30 minutes. ugh.

I knew better. Watching the bobcats game until duke tips. Hendo started off hot.

rsvman
01-22-2014, 08:01 PM
Is nobody watching the game?

I like what I see on defense and especially on the boards so far. I also like that K is sticking with the platoon substitution system, at least for now.

Go Duke!

sporthenry
01-22-2014, 08:09 PM

I like what I see on defense and especially on the boards so far. I also like that K is sticking with the platoon substitution system, at least for now.

Go Duke!

Defense is adequate. Offensive rebounding has been good but defensive rebounding is still an issue. Miami now has 5 d-rebounds on 11 misses.

And the offense has been pretty poor. Not attacking the zone

g-money
01-22-2014, 08:10 PM

Go Duke!

Agreed as far as liking the D and rebounding so far. Also, it looks like Jabari is getting back on track.

On the flip side, we've missed some wide open threes (come on Andre), and we're not passing it into the high post enough against the zone.

But overall I like our effort.

duke4ever19
01-22-2014, 08:10 PM

Let's just say I'm trying to watch the game.

dairedevil
01-22-2014, 08:11 PM
How can you have a block and a charge in the same play? Crazy call.

dukeinal
01-22-2014, 08:11 PM
Getting beat off the dribble to often. Overall decent defense, good effort by both lines..

duke09hms
01-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Loving Amile's effort to steal that ball away in the backcourt and finish with the layup.

Selover
01-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Great hustle play the by Amile. Does anyone else feel like the refs have blown several calls that should have gone our way? For instance K calling timeout in front of the ref, Dre knocking the ball out to the inbounder not to mention several ticky tack fouls that they aren't calling our way..

duke4ever19
01-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Jefferson is a heck of a player. Glad he's on our side.

rhynelander
01-22-2014, 08:18 PM
love Amile's motor my godness is he playing like a man today!

rsvman
01-22-2014, 08:18 PM
If Coach is going to expect them to continue this much intensity and chasing on defense, he's going to also have to continue a liberal substitution pattern. Otherwise, our guys are going to wear down.

duke4ever19
01-22-2014, 08:19 PM
No Amile! No foot injuries.

jwillfan
01-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Liking it all

sporthenry
01-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Great hustle play the by Amile. Does anyone else feel like the refs have blown several calls that should have gone our way? For instance K calling timeout in front of the ref, Dre knocking the ball out to the inbounder not to mention several ticky tack fouls that they aren't calling our way..

Second time this year that refs missed a pretty crucial timeout that K was trying to call. Also agree with the ticky tack calls. I guess that is the benefits of Miami's zone but it seems impossible to play man to man defense now. Not sure how they expect people to play defense with every contact being a foul and the offense getting the benefit of the doubt.

jwillfan
01-22-2014, 08:21 PM
No Amile! No foot injuries.

Relax. Just tying his shoe!

rsvman
01-22-2014, 08:23 PM
Relax. Just tying his shoe!

No. He had a minor ankle sprain. Looks OK, though.

Hard to blame a Duke fan for being paranoid about foot injuries.

Dukehky
01-22-2014, 08:28 PM
I thought we played really well that half. I wish that somebody on our team could make an entry pass. K wants Jabari to work on the block, which is hard work, and he never gets rewarded with the ball when he's open. When we got the ball to Jabari in good position (on the elbow) he knocked down a jump shot. I bet he can do that more than once if we get him the ball there. Sounds sour, but it's just a pet peeve of mine.

SCMatt33
01-22-2014, 08:30 PM
Duke did a good job to pull away for this lead right now despite very poor zone offense for the most part. On most of their half court possessions, Duke really got lazy taking three or four passes around the perimeter before taking a mediocre 3. That's exactly what the zone wants you to do. I can only think of a few possessions where Duke in a half court set passed or drove the ball to the middle or behind the zone. Cook finding Hood on the baseline after dribbling to overload one side of the court and move the zone was a textbook example of good zone offense. Parker cutting to the elbow and making the mid-range jumper was another great example. These plays were unfortunately not the norm in that half. Of coarse, they more than offset this with the D earning some transition buckets and a great job on the offensive glass (another traditional way to attack the zone). This game will hopefully serve as a good warm up for Cuse, who plays a much more active zone and with the length to make the threes even tougher and take away some of the offensive rebounding.

dairedevil
01-22-2014, 08:31 PM
I like the effort and intensity - grabbing rebounds, forcing turnovers. We've even made a few back-door cuts to break the zone. But, there has been quite a drop in scoring when the non-starting lineup has been in the game. Only 2 baskets (3 pts) made by Dawkins and Sulaimon. . If we don't get offensive production from that lineup, I'm afraid that the other crew will stay in more, and we won't be able to keep up the pressure, or will get fatigued.

Bob Green
01-22-2014, 08:33 PM
We are 4-15 on 3-pointers and have a 12 point lead so I'm not complaining, but we need to shoot it better in the second stanza.

arnie
01-22-2014, 08:34 PM
No. He had a minor ankle sprain. Looks OK, though.

Hard to blame a Duke fan for being paranoid about foot injuries.

No worries, we only get bad foot injuries at Cameron.

NYBri
01-22-2014, 08:37 PM
That Jabari shot at the elbow is a shot that's open all night long. We should keep doing it until they stop it.

NYBri
01-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Keep up the defensive intensity, and look for fast-break turnovers and I think we have this game.

kmspeaks
01-22-2014, 08:39 PM
No worries, we only get bad foot injuries at Cameron.

Kyrie Irving might beg to differ

NYBri
01-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Now that's the way to start the second half!

duke09hms
01-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Amile is BEASTING. Loving his play!

rsvman
01-22-2014, 08:41 PM
Jefferson impressive on the offensive glass.

CDu
01-22-2014, 08:41 PM
Jefferson having a terrific game. I am loving his effort. He just has a knack for finding the ball in scoring chances.

pfrduke
01-22-2014, 08:42 PM
I thought we played really well that half. I wish that somebody on our team could make an entry pass. K wants Jabari to work on the block, which is hard work, and he never gets rewarded with the ball when he's open. When we got the ball to Jabari in good position (on the elbow) he knocked down a jump shot. I bet he can do that more than once if we get him the ball there. Sounds sour, but it's just a pet peeve of mine.

To be fair, one of the whole points of a zone is to prevent entry passes - there's always a guy who can sag into a passing lane to create a difficult catch (or immediate double).

Gthoma2a
01-22-2014, 08:45 PM
We are a new team. It is crazy to see how much fire we have now. It just wasn't there three games ago.

NYBri
01-22-2014, 08:46 PM
Get it to 20. Love the running.

dukeinal
01-22-2014, 08:46 PM
I hope we keep the substitutions up. Even with the lack of scoring the second line is playing decent defense and giving the starting 5 a rest

sporthenry
01-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Hoping this sort of substitution pattern becomes the MO going forward for Duke teams. Team just seems more focused, intense, and happy for everyone. I'm sure the rotation will shrink a bit, at least in terms of minutes for everyone. But now in March if Plumlee or Jones need to play a few minutes, they aren't lost. Not to mention, 10 MPG this year will pay big dividends next year. And it keeps guys fresh b/c Parker looked to be wearing down in January.

NYBri
01-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Quinn needs to sit and think about things.

rsvman
01-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Was that not offensive goaltending?

Tappan Zee Devil
01-22-2014, 08:49 PM
We need this time-out

Bluedog

Yes, yes it was...seemed obvious at the time too.

Selover

I thought so

TKG
01-22-2014, 08:50 PM
Quinn takes mental vacations a little too often for my comfort.

duke09hms
Quinn occasionally still plays out of control like this. Point guards need to keep their cool.

DukieInBrasil
what an incredibly bad stretch of basketball by Cook. A terrible decision to go hero-ball with that shot in the lane, terrible in the air decision for the turnover, and then an intentional foul. It's hard to play worse basketball than that. Strange, he had been playing under control and pretty well up to that point.

arnie
I thought so

Not according to Dickie- course he can't see that far

jwillfan
01-22-2014, 08:51 PM
This is our team's MO - get a lead and relax and_or make bonheaded plays

Selover
01-22-2014, 08:52 PM
Marshallllllllllll

duke09hms
01-22-2014, 08:52 PM
MOAR PLUMLEE!!!

Marshall with the block!

BlueandWhite
01-22-2014, 08:54 PM
Quinn needs to sit and think about things.

Not just him, the 5 who were on the floor will all sit & think. That was a very bad stretch of basketball right on the heels of very sharp offense & defense, led mainly by Jefferson. Duke can't just go on "cruise control" as if Miami is just going to lay down on their home court.

duke09hms
01-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Marshall with the lob breakup!!!

Gthoma2a
01-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Plumlee is really playing some good D out there.

This is a relief to be winning with an all-star team in the stands. I know that Jabari does look like he is pressing at times (hanging on the rim). I love his aggression, though.

rsvman
01-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Horrendous free throw efforts by Sulaimon. Wow. Looked like Shaq.

Ichabod Drain
01-22-2014, 08:59 PM
Caught a glimpse of Kelly behind the bench. Wonder if he rode with Kobe?

duke4ever19
Jabari with the technical.

Gthoma2a
Horrendous free throw efforts by Sulaimon. Wow. Looked like Shaq.

Marshall's nickname, when on the line, is Shaq.

dukeinal
01-22-2014, 09:00 PM
Cook still getting beat off the dribble pretty consistently, hurts the whole defense.

Selover
01-22-2014, 09:00 PM
I'm going crazy looking for a push of call on their point guard lol. I need a beer..

Papa John
01-22-2014, 09:01 PM
Technicals... Internationals... Missed FTs... Missing dunks and open treys...

Time to tighten up this loosey goosey stuff...

dukeinal
I'm going crazy looking for a push of call on their point guard lol. I need a beer..

I think the refs need a beer....

duke4ever19

Howabout a bacon bowl while you're up? Anybody else see that commercial? Wow.

porkpa
Just noticed. Why is Jeff Capel wearing a Carolina Blue colored suit?

Furniture
Great stretch by team 2 from about 16 to 12 mins.

rsvman
01-22-2014, 09:04 PM
Four-point turnaround, at least, on the missed dunk turning into the technical foul.

I hope a few things start going our way soon before this game gets any closer.

Selover
01-22-2014, 09:04 PM

I saw that a couple weeks ago. Lookin' mighty fine...

Papa John
01-22-2014, 09:06 PM

A beer in a bacon bowl?

Gthoma2a
01-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Just noticed. Why is Jeff Capel wearing a Carolina Blue colored suit?

It's like there's an evil Capel brother or something.
Doesn't this guy look ridiculous?

Selover
01-22-2014, 09:07 PM
A beer in a bacon bowl?

"My name is Shawn May and I approve this message."

Gthoma2a
01-22-2014, 09:08 PM
"My name is Shawn May and I approve this message."

Kennedy Meeks would, but his mouth was full.

duke4ever19
01-22-2014, 09:08 PM
A beer in a bacon bowl?

It could function as a greasy coaster.

Kfanarmy
01-22-2014, 09:09 PM
2nd half has been ugly from 17 - 9 minutes left....ugh. Two Ts, and a couple of wow bad fouls

rsvman
01-22-2014, 09:10 PM
Still a lot of sloppy play....

NYBri
01-22-2014, 09:11 PM
The only thing we have to solve are these periods of time where we disappear offensively.

rsvman
01-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Hood quiet in his half. I'd like to see him get more involved soon.

NYBri
01-22-2014, 09:13 PM
And some really stupid play.

duke09hms
Encouraging sign that we can win these ugly games pretty comfortably. Tonight's game reminds me of the 09-10 team that ground out a lot of tough games.

Rebounding is looking strong.

TKG
The only thing we have to solve are these periods of time where we disappear offensively.

These guys - and Cook in particular as the point guard - need to learn to focus for 40 minutes!

DukieInBrasil
01-22-2014, 09:14 PM
strange, inexplicable stretch of bad, unfocused basketball for a long stretch of the 2nd half.
Nice to see Sheed with a couple of nice plays

Dukehky
01-22-2014, 09:21 PM

Boom.

Gthoma2a
01-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Boom.

Boom was what Rodney just did.

Ichabod Drain
01-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Rodney Hood tho

rsvman
01-22-2014, 09:24 PM
Hood quiet in his half. I'd like to see him get more involved soon.

Yeah. That'll do.

Dukehky
01-22-2014, 09:24 PM
Boom was what Rodney just did.

All a part of winning the game handily, friend.

Speaking of, Jabari with the quietest 15/15 game I can remember. Way to let the game come to you on offense while going and getting it on the glass young fella.

duke09hms
01-22-2014, 09:31 PM
Lol at Hood dribbling the ball for a good 25 secs then nailing the long 3. That's a way to kill the clock.