PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. NC State

JBDuke
01-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 95-60 win over NC State today?

chaosmage
01-18-2014, 04:04 PM
Ummm... the whole team?

EDIT: Can't vote for the whole team. No one player made a difference imho. All of them together did. The extra passes, the extreme defense, etc.

bbosbbos
01-18-2014, 04:04 PM
Team effort. MOM = K

AncientPsychicT
01-18-2014, 04:16 PM
Jabari Parker, welcome back; we missed you.

OldSchool
01-18-2014, 04:21 PM
I picked Amile in order to recognize him for the way he has managed to elevate his game while still playing within himself and making relatively few mistakes.

devildeac
01-18-2014, 04:56 PM
I'll welcome the real Jabari Parker back with my vote and his outstanding supporting cast with a shout out. If he can consistently produce (reproduce;)), games like this on a consistent basis and involve his teammates like today, we will be very, very good moving forward.

gurufrisbee
01-18-2014, 05:18 PM
The whole team is the ideal answer. Jabari certainly makes the most sense if it goes to an individual and feels good after his recent struggles. I went with Sheed because I feel like this success comes from Coach K actually going 10 deep with them which finally allowed thm to play good pressure defense for the first time all season and I think a big reason he's able to do that is that Sheed with the second group of five gives them enough offense to be a viable unit.

GGLC
01-18-2014, 05:48 PM
I picked Amile in order to recognize him for the way he has managed to elevate his game while still playing within himself and making relatively few mistakes.

I did the same for the same reason. Love watching him play, especially now that he's started driving and cutting effectively as well.

jipops
01-18-2014, 08:32 PM
I actually went with Tyler. This may have been his most effective game all year. You know those 33 points off turnovers? It was Tyler forcing many of those and it seemed like his defense really set the tone for the game.

chaosmage
01-18-2014, 08:47 PM
All of the responses prove my point that the whole team was effective. Sheed's work on the 2nd unit, Jabari waking up, Thornton's Tenacious D (pun intended), Josh's extra work, Matt on the starting unit, all of this.

Today was a fantastic game, even if it was a weaker team, it's a confidence builder.

jv001
01-18-2014, 08:48 PM
I actually went with Tyler. This may have been his most effective game all year. You know those 33 points off turnovers? It was Tyler forcing many of those and it seemed like his defense really set the tone for the game.

Tyler stripped the ball from the State players all game long. He played a very good overall good game. Matter of fact everyone did. I voted for Jabari because he let the game come to him today. Got his shooting touch back and played the best defense I've seen him play. GoDuke!

NSDukeFan
01-18-2014, 08:55 PM

Tyler did have a very good game as part of a fabulous backcourt off the bench. How about 30 points, 4 rebounds, 9 assists and 6 steals in 45 minutes off the bench? I voted for Jabari and loved what I saw from Amile, but maybe it should have gone to RaDreler Thornkinmon?

BD80
01-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Amile is making great strides, he made plays today. Jabari was great, but Rasheed would have been my second choice. He's starting to make plays on offense that will open up opportunities for others.

Random thought: who is the most important to have on the court? Who would we least like to pick up 2 quick fouls? I'd say Cook, followed by Amile, then Jabari, then Rodney.

gurufrisbee
01-18-2014, 10:55 PM
Random thought: who is the most important to have on the court? Who would we least like to pick up 2 quick fouls? I'd say Cook, followed by Amile, then Jabari, then Rodney.

It's Cook and I'm not sure it's even close.

gep
01-18-2014, 10:56 PM
I went with Rasheed. I think he's working his way into "chemistry" with all of his teammates... and is doing very well with both units. GO DUKE!!!!:cool:

Karl Beem
01-19-2014, 09:18 AM
I picked 'The Real Deal'.

Troublemaker
01-19-2014, 09:57 AM

It's Cook and I'm not sure it's even close.

Jabari still ranks first to me in terms of MVP. Prior to his 4-game slump, would anyone have answered differently? We are trying to get him to play better D (this NCSU game was a great start) and the team overall is trying to get better on D, but in the end, if Duke is going to do great things, the offense will carry us. (We just need the D to provide good support instead of bad support). Anyway, Jabari's our best player, our best scorer, and he's a stretch 4. Keeping the court spread is a huge factor in our offensive success.

I would rank Amile 2nd MVP. I know people think if Amile can only play 15 minutes due to foul trouble, then MP3 can step in for 25 minutes and we'd be just fine. But I don't beleive it. Amile does so many things well for us that are uniquely his, and he's a much better defensive rebounder than Marshall as well. The difference between those two players are much wider than some think.

Next is Hood as 3rd MVP. I love that he can drive and finish, drive and pick up fouls, shoot 45% from three, and post up smaller wings and guards that get switched onto him for easy mid-range jumpers. None of our wings can really duplicate all that.

Finally, I would rank Quinn as 4th MVP. Don't think of Quinn's backup as Thornton. Quinn's backup is clearly Sheed. Quinn plays 15 minutes due to foul troubles? Sheed would step right in and give us a great 25 minutes.

dukelifer
01-19-2014, 10:10 AM
Jabari was much better than he has been but I went with Amile. Amile is becoming a rock- dependable and making good decisions. Plus he has found his free throw form, He is finding his role and owing it. This game was another huge step. When you are watching a guy who is doing the little things to win- you have to give him his due credit for helping to fix an issue with this team- chemistry. That folks is a future Battier- mark it down.

weezie
01-19-2014, 11:54 AM
I'm getting more and more excited when seeing Amile's arm shoot up when there's a scrum under the basket. It's like a sword! That young man has got some kind of attitude. N-O o-n-e is taking that ball away from him.

Starting to appear like a giant "click" may have been sounded on the court and in the locker room. Big challenges remain, of course.

"That folks is a future Battier- mark it down." So sayeth the dukelifer.

Bob Green
01-19-2014, 02:17 PM
I voted for Rasheed Sulaimon for dishing six assists in 17 minutes.

gadzooks
01-19-2014, 03:41 PM
I went with Jabari, just because he was the leading scorer, and it was so nice to see him playing well again, but I wish the poll were multiple-choice, because this was such a fantastic team effort. Lots of heart and hustle all over the court.

gep
01-19-2014, 08:39 PM
After reading so many posts on "multiple" MOTM options... I was thinking that maybe the poll could be extended to giving points... like 3-2-1 or something. Then add the points. Then everyone can have their 3 "best" choices. :cool:

Newton_14
01-19-2014, 09:06 PM
Like everyone else, it was such a great team performance, it made it a bit difficult to make a choice here. I loved the play of Jabari, Hood, Rasheed, Andre, Quinn, Tyler, Josh, Amile, and it was truly a great effort by all. I ended up voting for Jabari, and he led the team in points, played much better defense than he has been playing, and did all of that while working within the team concept. He only took one bad shot all game by my memory, and everything else came within the offense. When he did attack the basket, he did so in a very controlled manner, and either scored or drew the foul almost every time. Brilliant game. So my vote goes to Jabari. Honorable Mention to about 7 other guys.

Well done big fella.

Jarhead
01-19-2014, 09:36 PM
I went with Jabari, just because he was the leading scorer, and it was so nice to see him playing well again, but I wish the poll were multiple-choice, because this was such a fantastic team effort. Lots of heart and hustle all over the court.

I went with Jabari in this poll, but in the front page poll I went with Rasheed. If there was another choice available tt would have gone with Amile. Come to think of it, if the guys keep doing what they are doing my expectations are heading ... in the words of Jackie Gleason, "To the moon, Ethel, to the moon."