PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden Returns

tommy
01-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Former overall #1 pick Greg Oden played in his first NBA game in four years last night, with the Heat. A spot opened up on the roster when Miami traded Joel Anthony away, and Oden was activated. He dunked on his first touch (off an offensive rebound), and ended up with six points and two boards in eight minutes of action, including starting the second half.

Who knows what his knees are going to feel like today, or if he can have any kind of sustained success. But I, for one, am rooting for the guy. He has always seemed like an intelligent and gentle soul, one whose body betrayed him much too young, but who never complained and was never bitter. He kept fighting to get back to the league, not without some major detours, and he's done it. I really hope his body holds up and he can make a meaningful contribution to the Heat going forward.

FerryFor50
01-16-2014, 11:32 AM
This is a good read on Oden, who struggled with alcohol abuse during his comeback:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/greg-oden-opens-struggles-alcohol-bittersweet-feelings-kevin-durant-success-grandland-interview-article-1.1075118

MCFinARL
01-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Former overall #1 pick Greg Oden played in his first NBA game in four years last night, with the Heat. A spot opened up on the roster when Miami traded Joel Anthony away, and Oden was activated. He dunked on his first touch (off an offensive rebound), and ended up with six points and two boards in eight minutes of action, including starting the second half.

Who knows what his knees are going to feel like today, or if he can have any kind of sustained success. But I, for one, am rooting for the guy. He has always seemed like an intelligent and gentle soul, one whose body betrayed him much too young, but who never complained and was never bitter. He kept fighting to get back to the league, not without some major detours, and he's done it. I really hope his body holds up and he can make a meaningful contribution to the Heat going forward.

I agree--it's a shame when injuries derail careers from the start. And Oden does seem like a decent guy. Quote from this morning's Washington Post: "It felt good, just being able to be back out on the court...I've been here,...but when you're not playing, sometimes deep down you don't really feel part of the team as much. I'm happy I can do that."