PDA

View Full Version : High praise for JJ

m g
01-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Great to watch him develop after so much skepticism about his NBA potential.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-140115/jazz-spurs-nuggets-warriors

4. Do the Warriors have the league's best backcourt? If not, who's better?

Arnovitz: No, unless you can point to something Klay Thompson does substantially better than J.J. Redick. Because even if -- and it's a big, big if -- you assign equal weight to Stephen Curry and Chris Paul, Redick is a better overall shooter than Thompson. In the worst 3-point shooting season of his career, Redick still owns a higher true shooting percentage. He's a better defender, a more capable playmaker, more likely to get to the line and his off-ball movement does far more for his team's offense than anything Thompson does when he's not rising and shooting.

Cianfrone: Nope. Give me the Clippers' combo of Chris Paul and J.J. Redick. For as great as he is, Steph isn't better than CP3 and Redick has a bit more versatility in his offensive game than Klay, especially as a distributor, and isn't that much worse of a defender. The Warriors' duo probably will get there, though.

Elhassan: I resisted answering in the affirmative, but there aren't that many options! For all the great point guards in the league, there aren't a lot of solid shooting guards. It says a lot when Washington (John Wall and Bradley Beal) and Phoenix (Eric Bledsoe and Goran Dragic) have legitimate arguments for inclusion. I think a healthy Chris Paul and J.J. Redick are probably the best, but since they AREN'T healthy, Golden State gets my vote.

McNeill: Yes, although I'd like to give a nod of approval to a healthy Chris Paul-J.J. Redick pairing. Thompson and Curry stretch defenses to the break with their dead-eye shooting and general offensive wizardry. And while they're not a great defensive pairing, they do enough in those areas to maintain a healthy net efficiency.

Strauss: They're tops now that Eric Bledsoe's out with an injury and Wesley Matthews is coming back to earth. Still, there's a massive production gap between Curry and Thompson. Thompson's a solid defender, but he doesn't provide much on offense besides the 3-point shooting. The Splash Brothers are more like distant cousins in terms of their output on that end of the court.

kAzE
01-15-2014, 11:43 PM
JJ is on fire against the Mavs, 23 points on 8-11 shooting with 6 treys . . . in the first half. What a baller.

dukelifer
01-16-2014, 06:18 AM
JJ is on fire against the Mavs, 23 points on 8-11 shooting with 6 treys . . . in the first half. What a baller.

Ends with 33. Looked like JJ at Duke- only faster and stronger. He has worked his tail off to have an NBA career and it is now paying dividends.

nocilla
01-16-2014, 08:28 AM
His 7 3-pointers enroute to his 33 points.

http://www.nba.com/video/games/clippers/2014/01/16/0021300577-dal-lac-redick-first-half-threes.nba

CameronBornAndBred
01-16-2014, 09:03 AM
JJ is one of my favorite Dukies to follow in the NBA. (Damn shame that there are so many to choose from. :rolleyes:) If I had a kid who was either feeling down about himself, or just needed some inspiration for some motivation, I would point to Redick as a shining example. I remember most of us wishing he'd get out of Orlando; but I wonder if he'd be the same player if he hadn't been stuck there. Pinned to the bench, he worked his tail off to prove he belonged on the court, and is now one of the more respected players in the NBA. Great story that is still hopefully a long way from an ending.

flyingdutchdevil
01-16-2014, 09:11 AM
JJ is one of my favorite Dukies to follow in the NBA. (Damn shame that there are so many to choose from. :rolleyes:) If I had a kid who was either feeling down about himself, or just needed some inspiration for some motivation, I would point to Redick as a shining example. I remember most of us wishing he'd get out of Orlando; but I wonder if he'd be the same player if he hadn't been stuck there. Pinned to the bench, he worked his tail off to prove he belonged on the court, and is now one of the more respected players in the NBA. Great story that is still hopefully a long way from an ending.

Redick was my first introduction to Duke basketball when I was at Duke. Since then, I've idolized the guy. On top of that, my wife is a huge fan because, in her words, "he is a gorgeous looking man". I tend to agree.

JBDuke
01-16-2014, 10:31 AM
So, JJ was +19 for the game. No other Clipper was more than a +3. The final margin was 2 points.

gep
01-16-2014, 01:31 PM
His 7 3-pointers enroute to his 33 points.

http://www.nba.com/video/games/clippers/2014/01/16/0021300577-dal-lac-redick-first-half-threes.nba

Reminded me of the Virginia and Texas games... :cool: GO JJ !!!

rsvman
01-16-2014, 03:46 PM
Awesome!

thanks for sharing the video clip. That was like a trip down memory lane.

It was particularly impressive when he got essentially stepped on (or at least kicked in the face), had to helped back up, and then nailed the uncontested three at the other end while he was still trying to sort out which way was up.

jv001
01-16-2014, 03:59 PM
Awesome!

thanks for sharing the video clip. That was like a trip down memory lane.

It was particularly impressive when he got essentially stepped on (or at least kicked in the face), had to helped back up, and then nailed the uncontested three at the other end while he was still trying to sort out which way was up.

Yeh, his teammate jerks him up and then JJ hits the 3 as the last man down the court. I'm glad the refs didn't call a charge because he wouldn't have made the 3. I think the guy that jerked him up deserves an assist as well, lol. GoDuke!

Trinity09
01-17-2014, 09:44 AM

Those were GREAT, but my all-time favorite JJ game will always be his assault of State in the 2003 ACC title game when he was a freshman. The last 10 minutes were just insane--more than a few moments that were so good all I could do was laugh. He was good from Day 1, but the State game was the first time I thought "this dude might turn out to be a legend."

flyingdutchdevil
01-17-2014, 09:48 AM

The UVa game is my favorite JJ game. If memory serves me correctly, JJ was 7-9 from 3, 10-13 overall, 10-11 from the line on route to 40 points. Basically, he had 40 points off 13 shots. The Legend of JJ. I hope the days of a four year player becoming a superstar aren't over at Duke. Nolan was very close, but he wasn't JJ.

JasonEvans
01-17-2014, 12:38 PM
I hope the days of a four year player becoming a superstar aren't over at Duke. Nolan was very close, but he wasn't JJ.

JJ left Duke as the leading scorer in ACC history. He hold numerous records at Duke. I think the odds are excellent that even kids who become All-Americans at Duke will also be players where we say, "he wasn't JJ." And there ain't anything wrong with that.

-Jason "JWill, JJ, Shane, Christian, and Gminski... that's my all-time starting five**" Evans

**- And I fear I just ignited a new DBR debate

Black Mambo
01-17-2014, 01:52 PM

Grant Hill says hello

brevity
01-17-2014, 01:57 PM
JJ left Duke as the leading scorer in ACC history. He hold numerous records at Duke. I think the odds are excellent that even kids who become All-Americans at Duke will also be players where we say, "he wasn't JJ." And there ain't anything wrong with that.

-Jason "JWill, JJ, Shane, Christian, and Gminski... that's my all-time starting five**" Evans

Grant Hill says hello

The offseason says hello. Stop this now.

kAzE
01-17-2014, 02:04 PM
I won't get into my all time Duke starting 5, but JJ would be the 2 guard on that squad no question. Best pure shooter in the history of college basketball.

Mike Corey
01-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Great to watch him develop after so much skepticism about his NBA potential.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-140115/jazz-spurs-nuggets-warriors

I'm sure college-aged Redick would appreciate the double entendre in this post's title. ;)

Redick's turned himself into a consummate pro, and a darn good player, as well. Here's to hoping his success on the court last a long, long time.

And here's hoping the Magic are kicking themselves for their misuse (lack of use) of Redick for so many years.

The Gordog
01-17-2014, 02:17 PM

Field of Dreams script (Duke Basketball version) retitled Court of Dreams:

Ray: Where's Laettner?

Hurley (played by Ray Liota): He wanted to play, but none of us could stand the son-of-a-***** when we were alive, so we told him to stick it!

1st Team: Hurley, JJ, Grant, Shane, Laettner
2nd Team: JWill, JohnnyD, Heyman, Brand, Ferry

1 24 90
01-17-2014, 03:53 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/horizon/2014/01/15/oakland-university-college-basketball-travis-bader-three-point-shooting-record/4483851/

Unfortunately, JJ will lose the NCAA Record for 3 pointers soon. :(

luburch
01-17-2014, 03:57 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/horizon/2014/01/15/oakland-university-college-basketball-travis-bader-three-point-shooting-record/4483851/

Unfortunately, JJ will lose the NCAA Record for 3 pointers soon. :(

I watched him play this year at Indiana and he was not impressive at all. Chucked shot after shot and I'm not sure if he made one.

cato
01-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Field of Dreams script (Duke Basketball version) retitled Court of Dreams:

Wow, it's getting hard to do this. Either of those two teams might lose* to:

Short timer team: Kyrie, Corey, Luol, Jabari, Los**

*Yeah, yeah, defense. I'm just saying "might".

**I guess we will have to wait a bit to plug in a one and done 5.

(Sorry brevity. But you have to admit: this is a long break between games for the ACC portion of the schedule.)

JBDuke
01-17-2014, 09:08 PM
I love JJ as much as the next guy, but I'll take JD over him seven days a week and twice on Sundays. I'll give Jason his team, and I'll take Bobby, JD, Grant, Danny, and Shelden. Nobody's gonna score much against that group, and you've got four guys that can bring the ball up the floor and pass it, and all of them can fill it up.

dukebballcamper90-91
01-17-2014, 09:13 PM
I won't get into my all time Duke starting 5, but JJ would be the 2 guard on that squad no question. Best pure shooter in the history of college basketball.

Interesting... JJ over who???? If Hurley is PG than Jason Williams has to be 2 and I a huge JJ fan. He would be my 6th man.

Acymetric
01-18-2014, 06:14 PM
I mean it really depends on whether you are talking about top player at each position, top 5 players overall with some conciousness of putting together a balanced team with guards and big men, or the group of 5 players that would make the most dominant team overall. In the first two I think JJ is definitely first guy off the bench (6th man). But if you want to put together an incredible overall squad you almost have to include JJ because nobody will be able to spread the floor the way he could. A team of a PG, 3 slashers/athletes and a center isn't likely to gel the way people think, the ball is only in one person's hand at a given time.

That said, whether you take JJ or one of the other clear favorites for the starting 2 spot you are looking at all-Duke teams ranked 1-A and 1-A. I wouldn't fault anyone for keeping him out of the starting lineup but anyone who claims it is clear-cut in either direction is looking through personal-experience-tinted glasses. How many other schools would have such a hard time being wrong in picking a top 5 lineup?

FerryFor50
01-18-2014, 06:46 PM

(Sorry brevity. But you have to admit: this is a long break between games for the ACC portion of the schedule.)

Brand was also a short timer. I'd take him over Boozer.

Ichabod Drain
01-20-2014, 10:00 AM

Probably not too long... I'd give it about 15 months or so

kAzE
01-20-2014, 10:31 AM

This is the correct answer. J-Will is a beast, but's he ball dominant, and you wouldn't get the most out of Hurley if they were both on the floor at the same time. JJ would be the ultimate floor stretcher to allow Laettner and Hill do whatever they please in the paint without fear of getting doubled.

Bob Green
01-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Jeff Mullins scored in double figures in every game he played for Duke from 1962-64. That is a huge accomplishment. In fact Mullins is the only player in Duke and ACC history to accomplish that feat.* His career scoring average was 21.9 points per game without the 3-point shot.

* Source = Game of my Life by Alwyn Featherston

One shortcoming in these composite line-up discussions, and I admit they are interesting entertainment, is the recency factor. Too many folks forget stars from the past such as Jeff Mullins. Mullins was a year or two before the reaches of my memory, but I find it shocking no one has mentioned Bob Verga yet, who was my first favorite Duke Blue Devil.

Jarhead
01-20-2014, 01:20 PM
Jeff Mullins scored in double figures in every game he played for Duke from 1962-64. That is a huge accomplishment. In fact Mullins is the only player in Duke and ACC history to accomplish that feat.* His career scoring average was 21.9 points per game without the 3-point shot.

One shortcoming in these composite line-up discussions, and I admit they are interesting entertainment, is the recency factor. Too many folks forget stars from the past such as Jeff Mullins. Mullins was a year or two before the reaches of my memory, but I find it shocking no one has mentioned Bob Verga yet, who was my first favorite Duke Blue Devil.

We have a nice long list of top guys over the years, and at one time or another, more than a few of them have been near the top of my list of favorites. Grant Hill, Art Heyman, Mike Gminiski, JJ Redick, JWill, Johnny D, Bob Verga, Jeff Mullins. and more. Who even remembers Tate Armstrong, our first basketball Olympic gold medalist? Top of the list for me is Dick Groat. Yep, I'm that old, but he's my favorite, and still around as the on-air analyst for the Pitt Panthers. Next Monday, he'll be on Pitt's radio coverage for their game hosting Duke. I wish I could get that coverage on my radio.

brlftz
01-20-2014, 02:01 PM

Was getting ready to say something like this. Someone posted that JJ is the best shooter in cbb history, and I'm not sure he was the best shooter in Duke history. Even the old timer alum games I went to in the 90s, Mullins was amazing to watch. He was *automatic*. Very underrated player in Duke history, and it's not like he never gets mentioned, but I so wish we could have had him in the 3-point shot era.

Indoor66
01-20-2014, 02:13 PM
We have a nice long list of top guys over the years, and at one time or another, more than a few of them have been near the top of my list of favorites. Grant Hill, Art Heyman, Mike Gminiski, JJ Redick, JWill, Johnny D, Bob Verga, Jeff Mullins. and more. Who even remembers Tate Armstrong, our first basketball Olympic gold medalist? Top of the list for me is Dick Groat. Yep, I'm that old, but he's my favorite, and still around as the on-air analyst for the Pitt Panthers. Next Monday, he'll be on Pitt's radio coverage for their game hosting Duke. I wish I could get that coverage on my radio.

You might check the Pitt website for the radio stations carrying the broadcast and see if you can find one with an internet feed. I'll bet there are several.

cato
01-20-2014, 02:18 PM
Brand was also a short timer. I'd take him over Boozer.

Oh, I would too. But he was already picked for the 1st or 2nd team.

roywhite
01-20-2014, 02:21 PM

One small correction -- Jeff Mullins was an Olympic gold medalist on the 1964 USA team. It's a shame shooters like Mullins and Armstrong didn't have the 3-point option in college.

Don't go back far enough to remember Dick Groat's basketball career, but I do remember his time with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Beat 'em, Bucs.

MChambers
01-20-2014, 02:43 PM
I only saw Mullins take one shot, from half court, in street shoes, and he banked it in.

I think this was in 1979, when he was in the athletic department. In the last home game, all the fans who had hit free throws during half time promotions got to try from half court, for ACC tourny tickets, or something like that. Some kid got Mullins to take her shot, and he made it.

Bob Green
01-20-2014, 03:47 PM
The Clippers defeated Detroit today 112-103 with J.J. Redick contributing 20 points and six assists. He was 3-5 on 3-pointers and had a +11 plus-minus.

jv001
01-20-2014, 05:58 PM

There are three of my all time favorites, but of course I love them all. As for being that old, one of my first favorites was Howard Hurt. Now that's old. GoDuke!

DukeHLM'13
01-20-2014, 06:32 PM
The Clippers defeated Detroit today 112-103 with J.J. Redick contributing 20 points and six assists. He was 3-5 on 3-pointers and had a +11 plus-minus.

And he had two (yes 2) 4-point plays. How often does that happen?

JJ has kept up his trend of getting better each year he is in the pros, and he is probably on the best stretch of his career since CP3 got hurt. His scoring is up about 5 points per game and his assists are up as well. It will be really interesting to see what happens when Paul returns. Will JJ's scoring drop back off, or will he be able to find more open looks with Paul back at the point and continue to be a bigger part of the team?

Newton_14
01-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Kevin Durant was quoted this week on twitter as stating that he felt Steph Curry is the best shooter in the history of the NBA. I respectfully disagree. I love Curry, but I will always maintain I have never seen a better shooter from any spot on the floor than JJ Redick. Picture perfect textbook stroke and is just a lights out shooter. Always has been. My first time seeing him was in the McDonald's All Star game. 4 times that game he brought the ball up court, took a couple of steps across halfcourt and then pulled up for ridiculously long range 3's and drained all 4 of them. The guy can flatout shoot the rock. Glad he is finally on a team that recognizes that fact and actually works to get him the ball. JJ is currently taking full advantage of that.

Wonderful to see how well he is playing in all phases of the game. A very complete player at this point in his career.

Indoor66
01-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Kevin Durant was quoted this week on twitter as stating that he felt Steph Curry is the best shooter in the history of the NBA. I respectfully disagree. I love Curry, but I will always maintain I have never seen a better shooter from any spot on the floor than JJ Redick. Picture perfect textbook stroke and is just a lights out shooter. Always has been. My first time seeing him was in the McDonald's All Star game. 4 times that game he brought the ball up court, took a couple of steps across halfcourt and then pulled up for ridiculously long range 3's and drained all 4 of them. The guy can flatout shoot the rock. Glad he is finally on a team that recognizes that fact and actually works to get him the ball. JJ is currently taking full advantage of that.

Wonderful to see how well he is playing in all phases of the game. A very complete player at this point in his career.

Durant is very good but he has had a very short life and even shorter career. Curry is good but has a long way to be the goat of shooters in the NBA.

Edouble
01-24-2014, 08:30 PM
Durant is very good but he has had a very short life and even shorter career. Curry is good but has a long way to be the goat of shooters in the NBA.

If Curry's career ended today, he would actually have a pretty good argument.

Steph's lowest 3 point percentage for a season was 43.7%, which is higher than all but two of Ray Allen's 18 seasons in the league. In four seasons going on five, he's never shot under 40% for a season.

Curry already holds the record for most 3-pointers in an NBA season with 272 (at a 45% clip). That alone will get you some support for GOAT.

He would be the Sany Koufax of hoops, but if his career ended this season, you would have an argument.

mph
01-24-2014, 08:43 PM
The Clippers put up 41 points in the first quarter against the Bulls. JJ made 3 of 4 behind the arc and 2 of 2 from the stripe. He could be in for a big night if the game stays competitive enough for LA to play their usual rotation, although that looks doubtful at this point.

Newton_14
01-24-2014, 08:53 PM
The Clippers put up 41 points in the first quarter against the Bulls. JJ made 3 of 4 behind the arc and 2 of 2 from the stripe. He could be in for a big night if the game stays competitive enough for LA to play their usual rotation, although that looks doubtful at this point.

He just hit another one. 4 of 5 now...