PDA

View Full Version : Help take down "Duke Basketball Fans" page on facebook

CameronBornAndBred
01-15-2014, 05:43 PM
I don't let much get me on personal vendettas, but when someone's greed affects the school that I love, I act.

I am on a personal mission. There is a facebook page called "Duke Basketball Fans" that has been in existence for just over 2 weeks, and in that time they have gotten over 5000 likes. They have been selling shirts with their "Super Duke" logo on it, a cross of Duke's devil logo and the Superman "S". They sell them through some third party online t-shirt company. On their page, they use players pictures, superimposed with their Super Duke. This in itself is obviously illegal, but you know someone is going to say "Hey, Jabari is selling shirts!" The NCAA does not need that hassle, and neither does Duke. If you are on FB, promote these real wanker's demise. Here is my current status...

There is a page on Facebook called Duke Basketball Fans. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING from them!!!!!!!! They joined facebook on December 31st, of 2013, and in two weeks they have 5,059 (and counting) likes. They are there to make money, and they are not only robbing Duke of its licensed images, they are also using images of Duke players with their "Super Duke" image imposed on it. If the players were approving (they aren't!), the NCAA would be all over Duke. These "fans" do not give a crap about Duke, they give a crap about making money. IF you have liked them, unlike them. The Duke legal department, thankfully, is currently working on this case.
I emailed Jim Wilkerson at Duke's licensing office, he is the one that told me the legal team has been on this for about a week, but the FB page still exists and they are still making money.

Here is the pic they are using of Jabari.

SupaDave
01-15-2014, 05:48 PM
If Duke legal is already aware - you can bet your bottom dollar that a "cease and desist" is on the way...

uh_no
01-15-2014, 05:48 PM
If the duke licensing department is on it, then I don't think we need to be systematically involved with a vigilante justice campaign.

Kfanarmy
01-15-2014, 05:52 PM
the FB page is fine. Advertising memorabilia is another thing.

CameronBornAndBred
01-15-2014, 05:52 PM
If the duke licensing department is on it, then I don't think we need to be systematically involved with a vigilante justice campaign.
Their page still exists, they still have illegal images on it, and they just made a ton of money today off of another order. This post is to alert those that may be one of the "likers" and possibly buyers on Facebook. The faster they go away, the better. Don't consider it vigilante, consider it a public service announcement.

Edouble
01-15-2014, 05:55 PM
Their page still exists, they still have illegal images on it, and they just made a ton of money today off of another order. This post is to alert those that may be one of the "likers" and possibly buyers on Facebook. The faster they go away, the better. Don't consider it vigilante, consider it a public service announcement.

As a professional photographer, I fully endorse your crusade to stop the theft of copyrighted images. I have had to deal with this and it is a pain.

CameronBornAndBred
01-15-2014, 06:00 PM
As a professional photographer, I fully endorse your crusade to stop the theft of copyrighted images. I have had to deal with this and it is a pain.
That's actually a huge beef for me too. In my art, I insist on using my own photos; I refuse to use published photos as source material. It is a matter of both artistic process as well as integrity.

blazindw
01-15-2014, 06:26 PM
There's probably several dozen Duke Basketball-related pages on Facebook. Mounting campaigns for people to report it won't help...for every one you shut down, 10 will take its place. Your best bet is to ignore them.

CameronBornAndBred
01-15-2014, 06:40 PM
There's probably several dozen Duke Basketball-related pages on Facebook. Mounting campaigns for people to report it won't help...for every one you shut down, 10 will take its place. Your best bet is to ignore them.

You are correct...but they are fan pages..I love those, they are fun. I run one myself. This one exists to make money. I don't love that. Anyway...last I'll post on it, they have just been eating away at me since I saw them using player images to sell clothes using stolen logos.

MPandolfi
01-15-2014, 06:46 PM

Just last week I got a tweet from @triadsportslg asking me to spread the word about a hoodie with that same logo. So like blaz said, shut down one and 10 more will take its place.

brevity
01-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Oh look, my tinfoil hat.

This Facebook page was started the day of the Chick-fil-A Bowl, and markets active Duke players? This is either Texas A&M or the NCAA minions taking revenge on Jay Bilas and his alma mater.

I'm not on Facebook -- I'll wait for the movie -- but if it's still used on campus, someone should spread the word there. Students seem to rally around a cause, especially if some lame NBA-style merchandise is contaminating Duke basketball. ("Super Duke"? Really?)

hurleyfor3
01-15-2014, 09:55 PM
You may want to also contact whichever comic book company it is who owns the rights to Superman, DC or Marvel. (Edit: Google seems to think it's Warner Bros.)

DU82
01-15-2014, 10:04 PM
You may want to also contact whichever comic book company it is who owns the rights to Superman, DC or Marvel. (Edit: Google seems to think it's Warner Bros.)

DC Entertainment, part of Time-Warner. They, like Disney (who now owns Marvel) are very protective of their trademarks. My guess is that Duke's lawyers have already contacted DC.