PDA

View Full Version : M for K

throatybeard
01-13-2014, 10:53 PM
I thought I had already started this thread, but the search engine fails me, or I failed. In the interest of doing something tonight other than whining about how we barely beat a team previously undefeated in the ACC, let's look at advancing history.

The win tonight over the University of Khaki at Thomas Jefferson tonight puts Mike Krzyzewski at 970 career wins. This is rather insane, if you think about it. Boeheim is older, and a championship caliber season behind him. Boeheim may have that season this year, but Krzyzewski isn't going to win zero games this year, so I'm not worried in the short run. Krzyzewski is now more than eighty wins past that cranky guy from Kansas. I forget his name. I think he was pals will Bill Guthridge?

In a lot of the discussion about 880 and 903, I think 1000 came up, and 2014-15 was the season we mentioned. It sounded like science fiction even a few seasons ago, much as 880 did in the late 1990s. So I guess this is where we get to optimism or pessimism about this year. He's been grinding about thirty a year through the mill for a while. Which would put #1000 about this time next year, if we keep that pace this year. I don't know.

2015 is an odd year, meaning the home Carolina game is early, in February. #500 was at home against Carolina.

Let us count our blessings.

buddy
01-14-2014, 08:18 AM
Vigils on this board mean injuries. NO MORE VIGILS! How about "watch" or "countdown"?

And he only needs 3 to reach 900 at Duke.

Saratoga2
01-14-2014, 10:46 AM
With 970 currently it can't be this year, so why get this started now?

Duvall
01-14-2014, 10:48 AM

It's something else to discuss.

flyingdutchdevil
01-14-2014, 11:04 AM
It's something else to discuss.

Actually, there is a lot to talk about this year. Our basketball is far from perfect, but we have a ton of talent. There are a lot of options, and I'm a big fan of the approach that DBR has taken.

I agree that 1,000 wins is a little too soon to talk about. Barring a catastrophe, it's gonna happen next year. I don't think anyone thinks otherwise.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-14-2014, 02:01 PM
My '903 and Kounting' shirt will seem so dated.

My suggestion for a new shirt is 'K1K' or maybe 'Coach K - 1K'. We should discuss this intently.

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2014, 03:01 PM

My suggestion for a new shirt is 'K1K' or maybe 'Coach K - 1K'. We should discuss this intently.
I love the irony of your statement beneath the avatar of the championship soda can. Neither is dated, they are timeless!

weezie
01-14-2014, 03:36 PM

Cuz we're all vigil nuts?

throatybeard
01-14-2014, 03:38 PM

Remember the 2001 Championship t-shirt that I'm too fat for now, the "I was on the quad" one where there was a picture of the bonfire, and it looked like a a ghost-Krzyzewski was emerging from the fire.

I'm thinking something like that, but with a huge 1K instead of a bonfire.

The good news is that I'm presently not fat enough for my 903 shirt.

royalblue
01-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Anytime you can come up with a thread to call Dean the cranky guy from Kansas who is friends with Bill G it's all good with me:) To properly savor the 1000 to come you need to start nice and early. I would want Duke to win it all this year and beat UNC-ch for 1005 I can think about a few good tie ins with that finish. If I recall correctly Bill as head coach did make 2 FF with out Dean and Dean only went to one FF with out Gut. I always wondered why a Kansas guy would hire a K state guy for his asst. The cranky guy is the best line on Dean since Terry Holland named his dog Dean cause it wined all the time. K you have already won twice as many gold trophys as the cranky guy I can't ask for much more.

throatybeard
01-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Anytime you can come up with a thread to call Dean the cranky guy from Kansas who is friends with Bill G it's all good with me:) To properly savor the 1000 to come you need to start nice and early. I would want Duke to win it all this year and beat UNC-ch for 1005 I can think about a few good tie ins with that finish. If I recall correctly Bill as head coach did make 2 FF with out Dean and Dean only went to one FF with out Gut. I always wondered why a Kansas guy would hire a K state guy for his asst. The cranky guy is the best line on Dean since Terry Holland named his dog Dean cause it wined all the time. K you have already won twice as many gold trophys as the cranky guy I can't ask for much more.

As I smart-alecked last year, I have a mind to write an unauthorized biography of Dean Smith, just so I can title it Playing Keep-away, Pointing, and Signalling that you're Tired: The Dean Smith Story.

royalblue
01-14-2014, 04:33 PM
My dream is to help with that project.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-14-2014, 04:44 PM
I love the irony of your statement beneath the avatar of the championship soda can. Neither is dated, they are timeless!

;) I only drank a few of them, I saved the one in the pic that had the true blue liquid somehow ooze through the aluminum over time, yet the seal is still intact. Hey kids, soda is good for you!

hurleyfor3
01-14-2014, 05:09 PM

I say we count this down win-by-win.

rsvman
01-14-2014, 05:22 PM
I really like the "K1K" idea. We need to make this happen.

brevity
01-14-2014, 07:11 PM

I really like the "K1K" idea. We need to make this happen.

How about just:

1. K

That works on multiple levels. And maybe have a special DBR version that goes:

1. K

9. F

BD80
01-14-2014, 07:21 PM

I think we should be focused on his 1000th win AS COACH OF DUKE. So 1073 total. Spring 2017.

throatybeard
01-14-2014, 07:59 PM
I think we should be focused on his 1000th win AS COACH OF DUKE. So 1073 total. Spring 2017.

Which would get him within about a season's worth of Pat Summitt, if that's a thing.

gurufrisbee
01-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Coach 1K has a very nice ring to it.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-14-2014, 10:10 PM
I'm hoping for his own version of Y2k - I think my grandson will be on the team for that one

cf-62
01-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Drop this thread out. Bring it back next year when Coach is actually chasing 1000.

hurleyfor3
01-14-2014, 10:41 PM
He'll have 1K status! Them systemwide upgrades sure come in handy.

throatybeard
01-25-2014, 03:20 PM
After Florida State:

900 at Duke
973 total

Doris said she hoped she got to work #1000 next year.

CLW
01-25-2014, 03:21 PM
After Florida State:

900 at Duke
973 total

Doris said she hoped she got to work #1000 next year.

Doris won't call it I suspect a Bilas/Williams special combo for the event - if it comes against a lesser non-conf foe and of course Vitale if its a big game.

uh_no
01-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Doris won't call it I suspect a Bilas/Williams special combo for the event - if it comes against a lesser non-conf foe and of course Vitale if its a big game.

eh, didn't they haul out Bob Knight for 903? I wouldn't be surprised if they brought him out again again...

throatybeard
01-25-2014, 03:35 PM
eh, didn't they haul out Bob Knight for 903? I wouldn't be surprised if they brought him out again again...

I thought Knight was in the crowd at 903 versus Michigan State. I guess I could check this. I think I have that game on an external HD somewhere.

Matches
01-25-2014, 04:08 PM
I thought Knight was in the crowd at 903 versus Michigan State. I guess I could check this. I think I have that game on an external HD somewhere.

Pretty sure he did color for ESPN during that game.

Dev11
01-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Pretty sure he did color for ESPN during that game.

Yes, you can hear on the broadcast, whoever the play-by-play was mentioned something like "Hey Coach Knight, looks like your protege is coming over to say hi." Knight awkwardly got up and gave him the hug, having to remove his headset in the process.

CameronBornAndBred
01-25-2014, 08:13 PM
It will be luck of the draw. I am sure the networks will make an attempt to guess the game that wins it, and schedule their big names for it, but there is of course no way to know. Bob Knight won't be handed out by ESPN to call a game on another network.

throatybeard
02-04-2014, 09:29 PM
I didn't know where else to put this, since the 880 and 903 threads are locked.

In the 880 and 903 threads we talked about what [I think] is arguably Dean's greatest legacy--the total ACC wins, which we once thought an unbreakable record. I haven't looked up those threads, but I'm pretty sure he was at 420 if you include RS and ACCT.

During the WFU game, ESPN just flashed 408 ACC wins for Krzyzewski on a graphic. That has to include ACCT wins.

Damn. When we talked about that in the run-up to 880 (which occurred in the early part of the 2010-11 season) I think that I forecasted, that even with a rosy picture, passing Dean at 420 wouldn't happen till 2014-15, and that seemed like a long way off back then, and would/will be Krzyzewski's age-68 season, as the baseball guys say.

If you're a Carolina fan clinging onto the last inhabitable territory of the Dean > K argument, I still think is the best place to stand. Dean never coached more than sixteen ACC games in a season, and only at the end of his career. Krzyzewksi has now spent more than half his ACC career in the sixteen-game schedule, and now we're up to eighteen. I could see a plausible argument that 420 does not equal 420. And there were some pretty damn good coaches in the ACC during and prior to K's ascendance (Tacy, Holland, Sloan/Valvano, Driesell, Cremins) who Dean coached against. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think Dean's ACC win% is close to unassailable.

ESPN won't remember the seven-team ACC in the 1970s, though. 421 will come soon, assuming good health for our old Pole. And then ESPN will toot da flute for Coach K and Duke.

Wander
02-04-2014, 11:38 PM
One shorter term vigil that might be fun to watch is the all-time wins for men's NCAA basketball... at any division. Coach K is currently at 975. Division 2 Philadelphia's University's Herb Magee is currently at 976 and is also still coaching. They have about an equal number of games left, and I think will also get a conference and NCAA tournament to play in, so it could actually be back and forth for the rest of the season.

Edited fun fact: my quick "I don't actually know anything about this team" google search has shown me that Herb Magee kept his Division 2 team with 2 points of Boston College well into the 2nd half of a game this season.

brevity
02-05-2014, 02:19 AM
I could see a plausible argument that 420 does not equal 420.

That's absolutely true, even within the UNC family. Dean Smith's 420 does not equal PJ Hairston's or Will Graves' 420.

Olympic Fan
02-05-2014, 02:57 AM
I didn't know where else to put this, since the 880 and 903 threads are locked.

In the 880 and 903 threads we talked about what [I think] is arguably Dean's greatest legacy--the total ACC wins, which we once thought an unbreakable record. I haven't looked up those threads, but I'm pretty sure he was at 420 if you include RS and ACCT.

During the WFU game, ESPN just flashed 408 ACC wins for Krzyzewski on a graphic. That has to include ACCT wins.

Damn. When we talked about that in the run-up to 880 (which occurred in the early part of the 2010-11 season) I think that I forecasted, that even with a rosy picture, passing Dean at 420 wouldn't happen till 2014-15, and that seemed like a long way off back then, and would/will be Krzyzewski's age-68 season, as the baseball guys say.

If you're a Carolina fan clinging onto the last inhabitable territory of the Dean > K argument, I still think is the best place to stand. Dean never coached more than sixteen ACC games in a season, and only at the end of his career. Krzyzewksi has now spent more than half his ACC career in the sixteen-game schedule, and now we're up to eighteen. I could see a plausible argument that 420 does not equal 420. And there were some pretty damn good coaches in the ACC during and prior to K's ascendance (Tacy, Holland, Sloan/Valvano, Driesell, Cremins) who Dean coached against. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think Dean's ACC win% is close to unassailable.

ESPN won't remember the seven-team ACC in the 1970s, though. 421 will come soon, assuming good health for our old Pole. And then ESPN will toot da flute for Coach K and Duke.

It's not as big a difference as you think. Dean Smith was 422-159 in ACC play (that include regular season and tournament play ... it does not include things like the Big Four Tournament).

After the Wake win Tuesday night, Krzyzewski is 409-166 in ACC play (regular season and tournament).

I don't see why the ACC win record is that big a deal. K already has a significantly better winning percentage at Duke (.788) than Dean had at UNC (.776).

nocilla
02-05-2014, 08:58 AM
According to Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Krzyzewski) Coach K has 411 ACC wins.

357-156 in ACC Reg season
54-19 in ACC tournament
411-175 total

Game notes from GoDuke.com (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22734&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209395278) show him with 408 ACC wins before the WF game last night putting him at 409 ACC wins with 165 losses. I assume this is where ESPN got their number from. I would also assume the GoDuke stats are more accurate than the Wiki stats but I am curious about the extra games they show. Are they counting the Big 4 tournament?

Deslok
02-05-2014, 10:39 AM
According to Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Krzyzewski) Coach K has 411 ACC wins.

357-156 in ACC Reg season
54-19 in ACC tournament
411-175 total

Game notes from GoDuke.com (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22734&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209395278) show him with 408 ACC wins before the WF game last night putting him at 409 ACC wins with 165 losses. I assume this is where ESPN got their number from. I would also assume the GoDuke stats are more accurate than the Wiki stats but I am curious about the extra games they show. Are they counting the Big 4 tournament?

The probable cause is Duke's 2 regular season wins in 1995( though why the tourney win over NC State wouldn't be there too is odd).

nocilla
02-05-2014, 01:27 PM
The probable cause is Duke's 2 regular season wins in 1995( though why the tourney win over NC State wouldn't be there too is odd).

Well I compared that stats from the 2 sources;
After correcting a couple math errors, Wiki shows him with a 356-147 ACC record plus 54-19 in the ACC tournament. Total = 410-166.

His bio on the GoDuke game notes showed him with a 409-165 total ACC record. In another section discussing tournaments it states a 53-19 record in the ACC tournament. Subtracting the tournament record from the total would leave 356-146.

The regular season records for each season match the records listed on Wiki. So there is a conflict with the stats somewhere. You can add the win/loss totals for the seasons to get 356-147 on both sites. So the GoDuke stat showing 146 ACC losses is incorrect if they are accurately showing each season. Then the Wiki site gives him an extra win in the ACC tournament. I guess the next step would be to go through each season and verify tournament results. I will have to do that later.

nocilla
02-06-2014, 10:29 AM
I guess the next step would be to go through each season and verify tournament results. I will have to do that later.

I went through the GoDuke season database (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/), and found that the Wiki page showed him with an extra ACC tournament win and the GoDuke game notes gave him one less regular season loss. So both sources were off by one game but in the opposite directions. This is assuming the season database is correct which I would think is the most accurate. If someone knows who to contact this should be looked into since it will probably be coming up fairly frequently. The numbers do not include games from the Big 4 tournaments.

Based on my math, his ACC record should read;

ACC Reg season - 356-147 (.708)
ACC Tournament - 53-19 (.736)
Total ACC record - 409-166 (.711)

Olympic Fan used the same figure in his post above so someone has the correct numbers somewhere. Maybe it was just a typo in the WF game notes.

rsvman
02-06-2014, 10:54 AM
That's absolutely true, even within the UNC family. Dean Smith's 420 does not equal PJ Hairston's or Will Graves' 420.

[Frank Caliendo's impression of Jim Rome voice] Hi-larious......Hy-sterical...........A-rugula. [/Frank Caliendo's impression of Jim Rome voice]

(Tried to spork you, but I can't.)

Olympic Fan
02-06-2014, 12:03 PM
I went through the GoDuke season database (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/), and found that the Wiki page showed him with an extra ACC tournament win and the GoDuke game notes gave him one less regular season loss. So both sources were off by one game but in the opposite directions. This is assuming the season database is correct which I would think is the most accurate. If someone knows who to contact this should be looked into since it will probably be coming up fairly frequently. The numbers do not include games from the Big 4 tournaments.

Olympic Fan used the same figure in his post above so someone has the correct numbers somewhere. Maybe it was just a typo in the WF game notes.

I have both the ACC and the Duke official record books. After the question was raised, I went back and checked the numbers. I guarantee you that 409-166 is correct for K.

There's some confusion about the 1995 season -- K is officially credited with a 9-3 record, 0-1 ACC. The 1-1 ACC Tournament record that season goes to Pete Gaudet. Pete gets four wins and 15 losses overall.

Just one more small thing. K actually has coached three games against ACC opponents that don't count on his ACC record. In his first season, he lost two games in the old Big Four Tournament. In December of 1994, he beat Georgia Tech in Hawaii -- none of the three games count as conference games. Dean also has a bunch of games from the Big Four Tournament that don't count on his ACC record. He also has an NIT win over Duke that isn't included.

BTW: K is now at 975 wins overall. He could finish this season with a maximum of 17 more -- to 992. Actually, I think 10-15 are more likely. The point is that he'll end the season in easy range of 1,000 -- depending on the final total, I think we're looking at a late December or January target date next season for 1,000.

K also has the potential for 11 more ACC wins this season, which would get him to 420. Even if he falls a bit short of that, he'll still be in position to get to 423 next January.

Wouldn't it be sweet if he could get both milestones in the same game?

hurleyfor3
02-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Dean also has a bunch of games from the Big Four Tournament that don't count on his ACC record. He also has an NIT win over Duke that isn't included.

As you certainly know, both Dean and K have at least one win over ACC teams in the NCAA tournament as well. Dean over uVa in '81; us over Maryland in 2001. I presume neither of those count, although if both of them do it's a wash.

throatybeard
02-06-2014, 01:23 PM

So, he improves in the ACCT. Wow.

royalblue
02-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Don't forget K is 82-25 in the NCAA tourney

nocilla
02-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Don't forget K is 82-25 in the NCAA tourney

Yes and when you add that to his ACC tournament record of 53-19, you get 135-44. So his postseason win % is .754.
Compare that to Dean who was 58-23 in the ACC tournament and 65-27 in the NCAA. A combined postseason win % of .711.

So when the games really count, Krzyzewski is the man.

brevity
02-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Compare that to Dean who was 58-23 in the ACC tournament and 65-27 in the NCAA. A combined postseason win % of .711.

Until 1993, they used to say that the only person who could keep Dean Smith under 2 titles was Michael Jordan.

royalblue
02-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Even in 1993 most Unc-ch fans did not think it would be close K vs Dean for career and I am happy to report they were right

jv001
02-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Until 1993, they used to say that the only person who could keep Dean Smith under 2 titles was Michael Jordan.

Didn't some people say that the only person that could hold mj under 20 points was Dean Smith? GoDuke!

Saratoga2
02-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Coach K's birthday is Feb 13th (same as my mother) and it would be a perfect gift for the team to give him a win over UNC the night before. Coach has 975 now so there is no way to get to 1000 this year.

jv001
02-11-2014, 04:56 PM
I just listened to Andy Katz interview a college basketball coach. This guy coaches one of the top 25 college teams year in and year out. Something he said made me think of this years Duke team. He has a young team this year(most years) and he said the biggest problem with young players is that they have their focus tied to their offense. If they miss a free throw, if they miss an open shot or if they feel they get passed up for shot by a teammate, they don't get back and play defense. Their game is tied to what they do on offense. He commented that they have been allowed to do this in high school and don't have the mind set that defense is just as important or more important than offense. Then he commented on his star freshman. He has had trouble getting this star player to pass quickly out of double or triple teams. The coach, John Calipari and the star freshman was Randle. I guess this is not just isolated to Kentucky because I've seen this young Duke team go through those same growing pains. Not just from the new guys but from more experienced players as well. However I don't see these things happening on a regular basis lately. I think Coach K has done an exceptional job building this years team and it's been fun seeing them grow. I think us Duke fans(I said us) forget what it takes to build a great college basketball program. We have been blessed to have the greatest college basketball coach of all time at the helm of our program. I know that there have been times that I've taken Coach for granted. Lord help us when he decides to retire. Ok, that said, let's beat the heck out of those tarheels. GoDuke!

throatybeard
03-09-2014, 04:41 PM
With the win over Carolina, I think he's at 981. This means, in the unlikely but cheerful event of a perfect postseason, he would end 2013-14 at 990.

Olympic Fan
03-09-2014, 04:47 PM
With the win over Carolina, I think he's at 981. This means, in the unlikely but cheerful event of a perfect postseason, he would end 2013-14 at 990.

You are correct that he's at 981 after the UNC win.

That was also his 415th victory against an ACC opponent (regular season and tournament). That leaves him seven short of Dean's ACC record of 422.

K won't get to 1,000 this year and he won't get to 423 this year, but he's put himself in position to get both records easily next season.

BullBlue
10-28-2014, 02:19 PM
Ok, we all know it will happen this season. The players have though about it too...it even had had a hand in this year's recruiting class.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-11-15/jahlil-okafor-tyus-jones-duke-decision-2014-blue-devils-coach-k

"With Duke I felt more comfortable going to play with the winningest coach in college basketball and getting the chance for me personally to help Coach K win his 1,000th game was (tough) to beat," Okafor said. "That was kind of the tipping scale for me."

What game this season will Coach K win his 1000th game?

If we start 16-0, the game would be Duke at Louisville on Jan 17. No doubt Louisville/Pitino would be happy for Coach K to get # 1000 at the Yum! Center.

hurleyfor3
10-28-2014, 02:23 PM
merge bump

uh_no
10-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Ok, we all know it will happen this season. The players have though about it too...it even had had a hand in this year's recruiting class.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-11-15/jahlil-okafor-tyus-jones-duke-decision-2014-blue-devils-coach-k

"With Duke I felt more comfortable going to play with the winningest coach in college basketball and getting the chance for me personally to help Coach K win his 1,000th game was (tough) to beat," Okafor said. "That was kind of the tipping scale for me."

If we start 16-0, the game would be Duke at Louisville on Jan 17. No doubt Louisville/Pitino would be happy for Coach K to get # 1000 at the Yum! Center.

darn. not sure i can root for 9 losses to push that out to the UNC game :(

throatybeard
10-28-2014, 06:01 PM
No offense to your UNC-Greensboros (#880), but I hope it's against a "big" opponent, like Michigan State with #903. Both #500 and #600 came against the University of Non-Classes.*

I feel like it's science fiction that we're even talking about this with it on such a close horizon.

* - I think Ima take this an run with it.

rasputin
10-28-2014, 06:03 PM
No offense to your UNC-Greensboros (#880), but I hope it's against a "big" opponent, like Michigan State with #903. Both #500 and #600 came against the University of Non-Classes.*

I feel like it's science fiction that we're even talking about this with it on such a close horizon.

* - I think Ima take this an run with it.

Klaatu barada nikto.

throatybeard
10-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Oh, and he's at five less than Dean in combined RS/ACCT wins, right? 422-417. So ACC win #6 this coming year is the final erasure.

Duvall
10-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Oh, and he's at five less than Dean in combined RS/ACCT wins, right? 422-417. So ACC win #6 this coming year is the final erasure.

Well. Maybe not the *final* erasure.

hurleyfor3
10-28-2014, 06:53 PM
So ACC win #6 this coming year is the final erasure.

Together, we'll break these chains of love.

Dev11
10-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Sure, but what if all those Carolina games dating back to 93 didn't count? If we can't count the games against Division II schools, we certainly shouldn't count the games against teams comprised of questionably active students. At least the Division II teams involve players who are presumably going to real classes and doing real schoolwork while preparing for the games.

MCFinARL
10-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Sure, but what if all those Carolina games dating back to 93 didn't count? If we can't count the games against Division II schools, we certainly shouldn't count the games against teams comprised of questionably active students. At least the Division II teams involve players who are presumably going to real classes and doing real schoolwork while preparing for the games.

I see your point, but why should Duke be punished for UNC's sins? If UNC had to forfeit games as a result of this, presumably the result would be a win for the opponent, no?

BullBlue
10-28-2014, 09:54 PM
I see your point, but why should Duke be punished for UNC's sins? If UNC had to forfeit games as a result of this, presumablyresulould be a win for the opponent, no?

If a win is vacated, it does not count as a win for the losing team, and is still recorded as a loss. However, if the wins are forfeited, the loss for the losing team is changed to a win.

The Duke/UNC record since 1993 is 28-22 in favor of Duke. If you take out the two 1995 losses when Coach K was out with his back, that leaves 20 (cheating) wins that should be forfeited.

So was Coach Ks 1000th actually the final UNC game last year?

Duvall
10-28-2014, 09:55 PM
If a win is vacated, it does not count as a win for the losing team, and is still recorded as a loss. However, if the wins are forfeited, the loss for the losing team is changed to a win.

Wait, what? That's not right.

hurleyfor3
10-28-2014, 09:59 PM
Wait, what? That's not right.

It's correct. Forfeits are 2-0 wins for the forfeitee. However, the ncaa doesn't really do forfeits anymore, the last ones coming in 1996.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/friv/forfeits.cgi

Fun fact: if perchance the 1993 championship game is vacated, BOTH participating teams will have vacated that game, and one can argue that Duke thus appeared in four consecutive championship games (1990, 91, 92, 94). Are there any ncaa tournament games that no longer exist due to double vacations?

OldPhiKap
10-28-2014, 10:07 PM
It's correct. Forfeits are 2-0 wins for the forfeitee. However, the ncaa doesn't really do forfeits anymore, the last ones coming in 1996.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/friv/forfeits.cgi

Fun fact: if perchance the 1993 championship game is vacated, BOTH participating teams will have vacated that game, and one can argue that Duke thus appeared in four consecutive championship games (1990, 91, 92, 94). Are there any ncaa tournament games that no longer exist due to double vacations?

I think that, by rule, the championship goes to Lance Armstrong.

hurleyfor3
10-28-2014, 10:11 PM

Tiger Woods. He's got to get past Nicklaus somehow.

uh_no
10-28-2014, 10:18 PM

that's a ballsy move

OldPhiKap
10-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Tiger Woods. He's got to get past Nicklaus somehow.

Tiger leads Jack in getting beat down over a mistress, 1-0. So, there's that.

that's a ballsy move

Bobby Cremins agrees with you, partly.

Dev11
10-28-2014, 10:33 PM
I see your point, but why should Duke be punished for UNC's sins? If UNC had to forfeit games as a result of this, presumably the result would be a win for the opponent, no?

I should have included the sarcasm smiley, my bad.

That said, if UNC has to start vacating wins from this time period, K's ACC wins and winning percentage are going to look amazing.

Matches
10-29-2014, 10:06 AM
There's a difference between vacating wins and forfeiting games. Wins that are vacated do not count as wins for the opponent; they just stop counting as wins for the team forced to vacate.

A forfeit would count as a win for the non-forfeiting team.

Long story short, UNC vacating wins won't affect K's win total.

MCFinARL
10-29-2014, 10:16 AM
I should have included the sarcasm smiley, my bad.

That said, if UNC has to start vacating wins from this time period, K's ACC wins and winning percentage are going to look amazing.

Perhaps you never imagined anyone would be thick enough to take you seriously--sorry. :o

UrinalCake
10-29-2014, 10:30 AM
While we're on the topic of records, I have a question: if (when) the NCAA drops the hammer on UNC and wipes 18 years of cheating off of the books, are the losses wiped too or only the wins? I'd hate to think that their 8-20 season never happened, the 82-50 beat down never happened, etc. And what about individual player stats? Could JJ resume his place as all-time ACC scoring leader? That would be awesome.

Matches
10-29-2014, 10:45 AM
While we're on the topic of records, I have a question: if (when) the NCAA drops the hammer on UNC and wipes 18 years of cheating off of the books, are the losses wiped too or only the wins? I'd hate to think that their 8-20 season never happened, the 82-50 beat down never happened, etc. And what about individual player stats? Could JJ resume his place as all-time ACC scoring leader? That would be awesome.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/psu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/12-OffensiveRecords.pdf

Looks like Penn State still counts individual stats compiled during their vacated period.

OldPhiKap
10-29-2014, 11:28 AM
I think that vacated wins are treated as if the game did not take place. Losses are losses (thus wins for the opponent).

Don't know about player stats, but IIRC Bobby Bowden lost wins and thus fell back on the all-time win list. Roy's vacated games would not seem to be any different (nor Dean's, although I doubt they will vacate anything that far back).

Unless a player is himself/herself ineligible, it would seem that the player's stats should stand. If that player should not have played in a certain season, though, it would seem that the individual's numbers should also be vacated during the period of ineligibility. Or at least a big, fat asterisk.

ricks68
10-30-2014, 02:12 AM
I think we will all need a vacate-ion after this is over, especially after seeing the Michael Rennie quote come up.;) (Now, how many Crusties out there, besides myself, will admit to being around to see that movie in the theater when it first came out?);)

ricks

pfrduke
11-14-2014, 01:40 PM

Following up on this, there's a pretty high likelihood (knocking on several kinds of wood) that win 1,000 will come on the road. As noted above, game 17 is at the Yum! Center. Game 18 is home (against Pittsburgh), but after that we have a three-game road trip, playing at St. Johns (19), Notre Dame (20), and Virginia (21). If, after 21 games, we still don't have 17 wins, the schedule continues with two at home - Georgia Tech (22) and Notre Dame (23) - before another 2-game road swing at Florida State (24) and Syracuse (25). So, of the window that is most likely to include win number 17 this season, 6 of the 9 games are on the road.

MartyClark
11-14-2014, 06:47 PM
Following up on this, there's a pretty high likelihood (knocking on several kinds of wood) that win 1,000 will come on the road. As noted above, game 17 is at the Yum! Center. Game 18 is home (against Pittsburgh), but after that we have a three-game road trip, playing at St. Johns (19), Notre Dame (20), and Virginia (21). If, after 21 games, we still don't have 17 wins, the schedule continues with two at home - Georgia Tech (22) and Notre Dame (23) - before another 2-game road swing at Florida State (24) and Syracuse (25). So, of the window that is most likely to include win number 17 this season, 6 of the 9 games are on the road.

Living in Colorado, I've seen a grand total of 3 Duke games in person. The last I saw was at MSG against Michigan State where K, of course, passed Knight for the record.

I'm going to the game in Louisville. Although it's a limited sample size, I think I have sufficient Karma for K to hit 1,000 that night.

Bluegrassdevil1
11-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Living in Colorado, I've seen a grand total of 3 Duke games in person. The last I saw was at MSG against Michigan State where K, of course, passed Knight for the record.

I'm going to the game in Louisville. Although it's a limited sample size, I think I have sufficient Karma for K to hit 1,000 that night.

I will say several prayers that your karma wins out over mine. I have seen Duke countless times; however, whenever it is a game that I attend connected to my home state, things have not always gone well: '86 title game against U of L, '98 against UK, '02 game against IU in Lexington (undergrad double whammy), and the '13 game against U of L. Take away the two Lexington NCAA opening rounds in '98, and I have never seen Duke defeat U of L or UK in person.

When you come to the River City, try the bourbon. I am not sure if you have heard, but Kentucky has bourbon. There are some great art facilities, a really big flipping baseball bat, and some good food near the KFC bucket that should be visited.

If Duke should fall to the Cards, please look for the guy in blue crying into his soft pretzel and nachos.

If Duke should win, you will know me as the guy inviting everyone to a lasagna dinner at Vincenzo's in the special Pitino booth.

nyesq83
11-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Jeffrey Neher posted this on Facebook:
‎Duke Basketball
21 mins ·
What the hell?....lol.......Roy Williams notches his 1000th win as a head coach and assistant coach? Really ESPN? When did that become a stat? Wins as a head coach and an assistant? Let me guess, since K is about to eclipse that as a head coach? You guys kill me......lol....

Dukehky
11-14-2014, 11:50 PM
Jeffrey Neher posted this on Facebook:
‎Duke Basketball
21 mins ·
What the hell?....lol.......Roy Williams notches his 1000th win as a head coach and assistant coach? Really ESPN? When did that become a stat? Wins as a head coach and an assistant? Let me guess, since K is about to eclipse that as a head coach? You guys kill me......lol....

While stupid, I think they were trying to get people to watch the game, so that they could say they witnessed some milestone. More of an attempted ratings booster than a Roy booster, but I could be wrong.

Duvall
11-15-2014, 12:32 AM
While stupid, I think they were trying to get people to watch the game, so that they could say they witnessed some milestone. More of an attempted ratings booster than a Roy booster, but I could be wrong.

How would ESPN have known if UNC hadn't pointed it out to them? Why have we never seen this statistic before for anyone else?

No, this is the result of an SID responding to the complaints of a small, bitter coach that it's just not fair that coaches like Krzyzewski and Boeheim set records because they became head coaches at a young age. It's the only explanation that makes sense.

throatybeard
11-18-2014, 09:08 PM
Nine hundred and eighty-six.

How about K doing the postgame interview himself?

throatybeard
11-26-2014, 07:22 PM
Nine eighty-nine, if I'm counting correctly.

My father once sold a 1980 Dodge Omni to a guy for $989, through the local classifieds. Felt sorry for that guy.

CameronBornAndBred
11-26-2014, 08:26 PM
Nine eighty-nine, if I'm counting correctly.

My father once sold a 1980 Dodge Omni to a guy for $989, through the local classifieds. Felt sorry for that guy.
Coach K picked up three wins in the ACC tournament at the Omni in Atlanta. Duke beat Maryland in 1985, and then won twice in 1989, making it the championship game in 1989, losing to Carolina 77-74.

Billy Dat
12-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 3h3 hours ago
So if Duke stays undefeated—look at the schedule, they definitely should—K will be going for his 1,000th win Jan. 17 AT Louisville. Wow.

Olympic Fan
12-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 3h3 hours ago
So if Duke stays undefeated—look at the schedule, they definitely should—K will be going for his 1,000th win Jan. 17 AT Louisville. Wow.

Nice to see Laura reads DBR -- this potential matchup was reported on the front page here several weeks ago.

Pghdukie
12-04-2014, 08:09 PM
The next game is a home encounter with Pitt. Sure would be nice to see K get 1,000 at home.

Duvall
12-04-2014, 08:11 PM
The next game is a home encounter with Pitt. Sure would be nice to see K get 1,000 at home.

Getting 1001 in that game does have its upside, though.

Henderson
12-04-2014, 08:14 PM

But not at the expense of a loss.

On the big stage in front of a national audience at Louisville -- Saturday afternoon on ESPN -- would be fine.

But now that Laura has jinxed it....

Henderson
12-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Getting 1001 in that game does have its upside, though.

It would allow Ryan Craig to do his palindrome thing again.

Duvall
12-04-2014, 08:23 PM
But not at the expense of a loss.

On the big stage in front of a national audience at Louisville -- Saturday afternoon on ESPN -- would be fine.

But now that Laura has jinxed it....

Not sure that will stay an afternoon game if it's a top five matchup with baggage.

Pghdukie
12-04-2014, 08:56 PM
Not a bigger stage in college bball then CIS for something of this magnitude. Faster the better-but-it would be great in front of the home crowd. National exposure is not the issue for 1,000. Worldwide - maybe ?

OldPhiKap
12-04-2014, 08:58 PM
I would be happy to get it in Louisville. Still pissed about Denny Crum, NNP and 1986.

Just wished it was old Freedom Hall.

Bluegrassdevil1
12-04-2014, 09:27 PM
I would be happy to get it in Louisville. Still pissed about Denny Crum, NNP and 1986.

Just wished it was old Freedom Hall.

Yeah... no.

The Yum is beautiful, has great surrounding restaurants, and no bad seat in the house . Freedom Hall smells like pork, is across from the airport and a bowling alley, and the same amenities since its 50's construction.

AND REALLY SMELLS LIKE COOKED PIG.

OldPhiKap
12-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Yeah... no.

The Yum is beautiful, has great surrounding restaurants, and no bad seat in the house . Freedom Hall smells like pork, is across from the airport and a bowling alley, and the same amenities since its 50's construction.

To be fair -- I was thinking of my enjoyment, not the Louisville fans in attendance.

And there's nothing wrong with the smell of cooked pork or bacon. May not be anything better. If Mrs. OPK nd bacon perfume, we'd have 10 kids. And stints.

Henderson
12-04-2014, 09:40 PM
If Mrs. OPK nd bacon perfume, we'd have 10 kids. And stints.

A wife with bacon perfume is a woman you know you'll have for life.

OldPhiKap
12-04-2014, 09:50 PM

She can bring home the bacon,
Fry it up in a pan,
And never let me forget I'm a man.

devildeac
12-04-2014, 10:02 PM
To be fair -- I was thinking of my enjoyment, not the Louisville fans in attendance.

And there's nothing wrong with the smell of cooked pork or bacon. May not be anything better. If Mrs. OPK nd bacon perfume, we'd have 10 kids. And stints.

And, with God as my witness, I warn you to stay away from this one:

msdukie
12-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Not sure that will stay an afternoon game if it's a top five matchup with baggage.

This isn't one of the moveable GameDay games since it doesn't have a flex time, unless ESPN changes its mind and just decides that any Saturday ESPN game can become GameDay.

Duvall
12-04-2014, 11:08 PM
This isn't one of the moveable GameDay games since it doesn't have a flex time, unless ESPN changes its mind and just decides that any Saturday ESPN game can become GameDay.

I'm predicting that ESPN would make it a fake GameDay like Syracuse at Duke last year.

throatybeard
12-19-2014, 09:42 AM

You say this like it's a bad thing.

Although I respect the urbanism argument. Although although, Fourth Street in Louavuhl feels to me sort of like Delmar in University City or the Power and Light district in Kansas City. More of a contrivance, a bit of a cartoon of traditional neighborhood design than the real thing. But I'll sure as heck take it over an airport.

993 as of UConn. This is getting real, y'all.

Jim Calhoun suddenly thinks he's Erin Andrews. What's up with that?

throatybeard
12-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Coach K picked up three wins in the ACC tournament at the Omni in Atlanta. Duke beat Maryland in 1985, and then won twice in 1989, making it the championship game in 1989, losing to Carolina 77-74.

And, IIRC, (I was twelve, so cut me some slack here if I'm wrong), Danny Ferry bounced a three-quarter-court shot off the back of the rim at the buzzer that would have forced overtime to occur.

Tom B.
12-19-2014, 01:20 PM
And, IIRC, (I was twelve, so cut me some slack here if I'm wrong), Danny Ferry bounced a three-quarter-court shot off the back of the rim at the buzzer that would have forced overtime to occur.

That's correct.

Another bit of trivia -- Christian Laettner hit his first collegiate three-pointer in that game. Duke was trailing 77-71 in the closing seconds. Laettner took and hit a desperation three-pointer from the right wing with three seconds left, which cut the margin to 77-74. (That was Laettner's only three-point attempt of the 1988-89 season, so he shot a perfect 100% on three-pointers that year.)

Duke then called timeout and, on the ensuing inbounds play, Quin Snyder fouled King Rice (you suck, you really, really suck) before the ball was put in play, so no time went off the clock. Rice missed the front end of the one-and-one -- Ferry rebounded the miss and had time for a dribble and heave from UNC's free-throw line, which hit the back of the iron.

You can watch the whole game here (http://vault.theacc.com/). Go to the menu on the left, and under "Games," click "By Year" -- then scroll to and click on "1989." The ACC Championship game between Duke and Carolina will be the first game listed -- click on it to start the video. Once the video starts, if you want to skip ahead to see Laettner's three-pointer and Ferry's heave, just click on the last pre-set tab on the time gauge at the bottom of the screen.

OldPhiKap
12-19-2014, 01:30 PM

Yup. We we're outplayed most of that game and we were lucky to get it that close.

It was also the game where K yelled "F U, Dean" to DES IIRC when Dean started lecturing K during the game.

I was at mid court third row for that game, tough loss.

tbyers11
12-19-2014, 02:26 PM
It was also the game where K yelled "F U, Dean" to DES IIRC when Dean started lecturing K during the game.

Wait, this happened? I was only 12 and living in Wisconsin when this happened so I have no real memory of this game. However, I've read most anything about Duke or ACC basketball and have been on this board since it began in 1996 and I've never heard this story. Any more details on this from anyone?

sagegrouse
12-19-2014, 02:45 PM

IIRC (and there is always a first time), this is the game where UNC center Scott Williams collapsed three times with leg cramps, earning the chant T-K-O, T-K-O from the Duke faithful. I thought we were gonna win that game -- no luck.

Henderson
12-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Wait, this happened? I was only 12 and living in Wisconsin when this happened so I have no real memory of this game. However, I've read most anything about Duke or ACC basketball and have been on this board since it began in 1996 and I've never heard this story. Any more details on this from anyone?

As described by Art Chansky in '89, Coach K took umbrage at a play by Williams, yelling at Williams that it was a dirty foul. Dean yelled at K not to speak to Dean's players. K yelled back, "Hey Dean, F You!."

There may be other reports, and I wasn't there. But that's what Chansky wrote in his book.

tbyers11
12-19-2014, 03:47 PM
As described by Art Chansky in '89, Coach K took umbrage at a play by Williams, yelling at Williams that it was a dirty foul. Dean yelled at K not to speak to Dean's players. K yelled back, "Hey Dean, F You!."

There may be other reports, and I wasn't there. But that's what Chansky wrote in his book.

Thanks. I'd heard stories about "Don't talk to my players" situation but didn't realize ended with an F-bomb. However, I've never been able to bring myself to read anything by Art Chansky. Probably why I missed it ;)

Tripping William
12-19-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks. I'd heard stories about "Don't talk to my players" situation but didn't realize ended with an F-bomb. However, I've never been able to bring myself to read anything by Art Chansky. Probably why I missed it ;)

A "fair use compliant" snippet from Alexander Wolff's 1995 article in SI, found here:

http://www.si.com/vault/1995/03/06/8092669/an-unrivaled-rivalry-when-north-carolina-and-duke-tip-off-on-saturday-night-they-will-take-the-finest-feud-in-all-of-sports-to-even-greater-heights

Several years later another jolt of voltage coursed through the
rivalry. ``I consider Dean a friend, even if we don't smoke from
the same pack of cigarettes,'' Krzyzewski said, making catty
reference to Smith's habit, since kicked, of supporting the
state's biggest cash crop. Around the same time signs saying J.R.
CAN'T REID appeared at several of North Carolina's road games,
targeting the Tar Heels' J.R. Reid, who is both perfectly literate
and black. This angered Smith enough to move him to point out that
the combined SAT scores of Reid and another black Tar Heel, Scott
Williams, exceeded those of two white Duke players Carolina had
also recruited, Ferry and Laettner. Smith has since said he was
trying to make a point about the evils of racial stereotyping, but
others believe there was more at play. ``I think that remark was a
sign that Duke was getting to him,'' says Barry Jacobs, whose book
Three Paths to Glory chronicles the interplay between the two
schools and N.C. State, which sits some 30 miles away in Raleigh.
``It was very un-Dean-like to violate those kids' privacy.''

That exchange set up the single most intense renewal of the
series, the 1989 ACC tournament final in Atlanta. Carolina had
gone seven years without winning the tourney title, and the Tar
Heels had lost three times to the Blue Devils the year before, in
what Duke folks still call the ``Triple Crown Season.'' People who
saw the game, which Carolina won 77-74 after Ferry's 75-footer at
the buzzer hit the back of the rim, flinch when they recall it. At
one point Krzyzewski, frustrated by the level of contact, screamed
at Williams, ``Don't foul so hard!''

Up got Smith. ``Don't talk to my players!'' he hollered.

At this point Krzyzewski turned to Smith and spewed forth a hard
Anglo-Saxon monosyllable beginning with f, followed by the
second-person pronoun.

There's no evidence that this utterance caused the earth to wobble
on its axis. But it's probably safe to say that no one had ever
before directed this combination of words at Dean Edwards Smith.
And that it took a Duke man to do it is not lost on one erstwhile
Blue Devil.

OldPhiKap
12-19-2014, 05:01 PM

A "fair use compliant" snippet from Alexander Wolff's 1995 article in SI, found here:

http://www.si.com/vault/1995/03/06/8092669/an-unrivaled-rivalry-when-north-carolina-and-duke-tip-off-on-saturday-night-they-will-take-the-finest-feud-in-all-of-sports-to-even-greater-heights

second-person pronoun.

Blue Devil.

Yup. And as I am sure you both know, K's voice carries quite clearly thank you.

I appreciate that Dean is in poor health and of course I wish him comfort. But I yelled so much invective at that man that I would be a lying hypocrite to say that I did not dance for joy when he retired. The fact that they had to start cheating after our back-2-back Natties warms my soul.

tbyers11
12-19-2014, 05:53 PM

Several years later another jolt of voltage coursed through the
rivalry. ``I consider Dean a friend, even if we don't smoke from
the same pack of cigarettes,'' Krzyzewski said, making catty
reference to Smith's habit, since kicked, of supporting the
state's biggest cash crop. Around the same time signs saying J.R.
CAN'T REID appeared at several of North Carolina's road games,
targeting the Tar Heels' J.R. Reid, who is both perfectly literate
and black. This angered Smith enough to move him to point out that
the combined SAT scores of Reid and another black Tar Heel, Scott
Williams, exceeded those of two white Duke players Carolina had
also recruited, Ferry and Laettner. Smith has since said he was
trying to make a point about the evils of racial stereotyping, but
others believe there was more at play. ``I think that remark was a
sign that Duke was getting to him,'' says Barry Jacobs, whose book
Three Paths to Glory chronicles the interplay between the two
schools and N.C. State, which sits some 30 miles away in Raleigh.
``It was very un-Dean-like to violate those kids' privacy.''

second-person pronoun.

Blue Devil.

Thanks much for the snippet. Now that I think about it I do remember a slight wobble in March 1989 ;)

Tripping William
12-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Thanks much for the snippet. Now that I think about it I do remember a slight wobble in March 1989 ;)

On reflection, that *might* explain the earthquake during the 1989 World Series. It just took a while to migrate from Atlanta to San Francisco...

bob blue devil
12-19-2014, 07:45 PM
993 and counting...

1) 12/29 vs. Tol
2) 12/31 vs Wof
3) 1/3 vs BC
4) 1/7 at WF
5) 1/11 at NCSt
6) 1/13 vs Mia
7) 1/17 at Lou
8) 1/19 vs Pitt
9) 1/25 at SJU
10)1/29 at ND
11)1/31 at UVa
12) 2/5 vs GT

throatybeard
12-30-2014, 09:54 PM
100% of Duke's current men's basketball head coaches are 99.44% of the way to one thousand wins.

uh_no
12-30-2014, 09:57 PM
100% of Duke's current men's basketball head coaches are 99.44% of the way to one thousand wins.

That extra 2/5 of a win is the kicker!

throatybeard
12-30-2014, 10:05 PM
That extra 2/5 of a win is the kicker!

They showered after the game.

Blue KevIL
01-04-2015, 03:24 AM
Just wondering if the UNC faithful consider Duke's win over BC to be Coach K's 1000th win?

Those folks always want to add the 15 losses from the 1994-95 during Coach K's absence to his record --- so why wouldn't said faithful add the 4 victories the took place during said absence?

1000-321 (.7570) vs 996-306 (.7650)... I'm Just Sayin'

throatybeard
01-05-2015, 08:28 AM
Just wondering if the UNC faithful consider Duke's win over BC to be Coach K's 1000th win?

Those folks always want to add the 15 losses from the 1994-95 during Coach K's absence to his record --- so why wouldn't said faithful add the 4 victories the took place during said absence?

1000-321 (.7570) vs 996-306 (.7650)... I'm Just Sayin'

I figure they can find some way to rationalize counting the fifteen Gaudet losses while discounting the four Gaudet wins. I mean, if you can rationalize basketball players taking classes that basically don't exist...

arnie
01-05-2015, 09:13 AM
I figure they can find some way to rationalize counting the fifteen Gaudet losses while discounting the four Gaudet wins. I mean, if you can rationalize basketball players taking classes that basically don't exist...

Anyone know if our next Saturday game time at Louisville (noon) is set in stone? If K going for 1000 will ESPN make it a night game? Trying to avoid wife conflicts.

throatybeard
01-05-2015, 09:31 AM
Anyone know if our next Saturday game time at Louisville (noon) is set in stone? If K going for 1000 will ESPN make it a night game? Trying to avoid wife conflicts.

Choose one wife and give the others bus tickets to Venice, California.

You know what I find odd? If I'm not mistaken, the second Carolina game is scheduled for Noon East on 7 March. That game has been in the evening* for years.

* - 'evening' defined in the Southern sense, meaning not just after 6PM, but late afternoon too.

arnie
01-05-2015, 09:44 AM

You know what I find odd? If I'm not mistaken, the second Carolina game is scheduled for Noon East on 7 March. That game has been in the evening* for years.

* - 'evening' defined in the Southern sense, meaning not just after 6PM, but late afternoon too.

Not a bad idea, wife likes Venice! UNC time is strange, what's ESPN thinking??

Duvall
01-05-2015, 09:55 AM

The second UNC game will be at 6:00 PM or 9:00 PM on ESPN on March 7. (http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-baskbl/2014-15_m-baskbl_schedule.pdf)

tbyers11
01-05-2015, 09:56 AM

This year ESPN has adopted the flex scheduling model (a la football) and declared that they won't pick their prime time (8-9PM) GameDay game until the Saturday before. So I guess we won't know for sure until Saturday. They have to move it to prime time, right? The other most interesting games that day are Utah @ Arizona and Kansas @ Iowa St.

Although, maybe the noon is set in stone. I say this because the official Duke schedule (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1845&SPSID=22726) lists the times for the 1/31 game @UVa, 2/28 vs Syracuse, and 3/7 @ UNC as TBA. That would make me think they are in consideration for the GameDay prime time game. The Louisville game is listed at noon on that schedule.

throatybeard
01-05-2015, 10:01 AM
The second UNC game will be at 6:00 PM or 9:00 PM on ESPN on March 7. (http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-baskbl/2014-15_m-baskbl_schedule.pdf)

Well I hope to hell that its the former (5:00 Central) because I have symphony tickets at 8:00.

throatybeard
01-17-2015, 08:55 PM
Um...

CMXCVIII

Dukehky
01-17-2015, 09:01 PM
I think at this point that we would be fortunate if Coach K gets to 1000 wins this season!

Sarcasm. Gonna get it at St. John's

OldPhiKap
01-17-2015, 09:19 PM
I think at this point that we would be fortunate if Coach K gets to 1000 wins this season!

Sarcasm. Gonna get it at St. John's

I do think that this whole hoopla puts extras and unneeded pressure on these kids. K referred to this in the Louisville post-game PC -- that it was unfair to these kids, and he wished he we're Coach W.

I think the quicler he gets this behind him, the better for everyone. K and team especially.

weezie
01-17-2015, 09:34 PM
Well I hope to hell that its the former (5:00 Central) because I have symphony tickets at 8:00.

Special cranial implant on order? Right into the old frontal lobes?

throatybeard
01-19-2015, 10:18 PM
IM.

No seriously, why doesn't it work that way?

CMXCIX.

hurleyfor3
01-19-2015, 10:20 PM
IM.

No seriously, why doesn't it work that way?

CMXCIX.

It actually does. The modern rules on writing Roman numerals are far more strict than what the Romans used. They could write something like IIC or VM and everyone knew what was meant. You can't do math with them anyway, so what's the worry?

And changing the subject, I'm one of those "1K is 1024" people, so that'll come next year. I hope.

throatybeard
01-19-2015, 10:36 PM
It actually does. The modern rules on writing Roman numerals are far more strict than what the Romans used. They could write something like IIC or VM and everyone knew what was meant. You can't do math with them anyway, so what's the worry?

And changing the subject, I'm one of those "1K is 1024" people, so that'll come next year. I hope.

See, sixteen years ago, I was all like, this should totally be MIM.

throatybeard
01-25-2015, 04:24 PM
M

Now let's all sing that Crash Test Dummies song.

dukelifer
01-25-2015, 04:35 PM
M

Now let's all sing that Crash Test Dummies song.

I guess the next vigil is Pat Summit's 1098- a K and a tenth of a K. That should be it - end at 1100. Should be able to get close in 4 years.

DavidBenAkiva
01-25-2015, 04:36 PM
Next milestone for Coach K will be getting win #1,099, thus surpassing Pat Summitt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Summitt) of the Tennessee women's basketball team as the coach in Division I basketball with the most wins.

MartyClark
01-25-2015, 04:38 PM
I guess the next vigil is Pat Summit's 1098- a K and a tenth of a K. That should be it - end at 1100. Should be able to get close in 4 years.

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old chauvinist, nah. Apples and oranges. Any women's stats are irrelevant here.

hurleyfor3
01-25-2015, 04:38 PM
Next milestone for Coach K will be getting win #1,099, thus surpassing Pat Summitt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Summitt) of the Tennessee women's basketball team as the coach in Division I basketball with the most wins.

Ten-ninety-nine. It's not just a tax form.

throatybeard
01-25-2015, 04:42 PM
At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old chauvinist, nah. Apples and oranges. Any women's stats are irrelevant here.

This is neither the time nor the place for this ^

OldPhiKap
01-25-2015, 04:42 PM
Glad that's over. Time to shake off that pressure and win a tourney!

MartyClark
01-25-2015, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Kfanarmy
01-25-2015, 05:11 PM

The two records aren't comparable.

Bob Green
01-25-2015, 05:14 PM
I guess the next vigil is Pat Summit's 1098..

The next number I am interested in achieving is "5."

Mike Corey
01-25-2015, 05:17 PM
The next number I am interested in achieving is "5."

And 1,001. :)

Bob Green
01-25-2015, 05:19 PM
And 1,001. :)

Absolutely!

Indoor66
01-25-2015, 05:24 PM

Nor this.

OldPhiKap
01-25-2015, 06:06 PM
GoDuke.com has a 20-minute video of congrats that is a real walk down memory lane.

"Coach, it's Christian. Remember me?"

1 24 90
01-25-2015, 07:34 PM
Tomorrow's Raleigh News and Observer is going to have a 10 page special section. Are there any locals that would be willing to pick one up for me since I'm in Ohio? PM me and I will send you money for the paper, shipping and handling. Thanks.

msdukie
01-26-2015, 12:01 AM
The next number is 2 more wins to set the ACC wins record
The next number after that is 14, as in passing Dean in ACC titles this year.
The next number after that is 12, to pass Dean and tie Wooden for most Final Fours
The next number after that is 5, to get sole possession of 2nd on the NCAA Titles list.
The next number after that is 1,073, which is Duke win 1,000
The next number after that is 1,099, most wins D1 male or female.
Then there is the NCAA all divisions record, which will require 3 D-II and NAIA retirements.

There are a lot of other numbers to strive for out there.

hurleyfor3
01-26-2015, 12:07 AM
Then there is the NCAA all divisions record, which will require 3 D-II and NAIA retirements.

Or just win faster than them, as K did with Herb Magee :)

Selover
01-26-2015, 09:09 AM
Tomorrow's Raleigh News and Observer is going to have a 10 page special section. Are there any locals that would be willing to pick one up for me since I'm in Ohio? PM me and I will send you money for the paper, shipping and handling. Thanks.

Any Duke bars in Columbus? I think I'm going to be moving to the area soon.

Mike Corey
01-26-2015, 09:14 AM

No, but we can remedy that.

Let me know when you're movin' to town!

#Duke1KAcrosstheUSA

blazindw
01-26-2015, 10:29 AM

No, but we can remedy that.

Let me know when you're movin' to town!

#Duke1KAcrosstheUSA

Trust in Mike Corey, he won't lead you astray!

Tom B.
01-26-2015, 12:50 PM

As far as total wins are concerned, I'd say the next milestone is 1,073, which would be K's 1,000th win at Duke. K also needs to net 26 wins against Jim Boeheim to pass him for the most wins at a single school in men's D-I basketball (Boeheim currently leads 962 to 937), which probably won't happen until Boeheim retires.

But I'm with Bob Green -- the number I care most about right now is 5.