PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Virginia (Jan 13, 2014)

JBDuke
01-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 69-65 win over UVA tonight?

flyingdutchdevil
01-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 69-65 win over UVA tonight?

Despite a few terrible plays on D, Sulaimon was our best player tonight. Our toughest player tonight. Our man of the match.

OldPhiKap
Amile Sulaimon.

Close second: Rasheed Jefferson.

Edouble
'Sheed came up big; Amile was a close second.

kAzE
01-13-2014, 09:16 PM
It was a tie between Sulaimon and Jefferson until the last 3 minutes, then it wasn't close. Jefferson was a man amongst boys when it really mattered.

MCFinARL
01-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Amile Sulaimon.

Have to agree with this. Picked Rasheed in the poll because he made such a big comeback--think it really helped him to get a lot of minutes in a lineup where he was clearly the go-to scoring option. But Amile had such fight at the end of the game--and he made those two foul shots as if he could actually hit foul shots. He could have scored more, too, if any one had passed to him the several times he got wide open under the basket.

GGLC
01-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Gotta be Amile. How many rebounds did he end up with? 16?

Loved that drive by him, too. He should do that more.

OldPhiKap
01-13-2014, 09:24 PM
Have to agree with this. Picked Rasheed in the poll because he made such a big comeback--think it really helped him to get a lot of minutes in a lineup where he was clearly the go-to scoring option. But Amile had such fight at the end of the game--and he made those two foul shots as if he could actually hit foul shots. He could have scored more, too, if any one had passed to him the several times he got wide open under the basket.

Pretty sure he got the rebound and kicked it to Sheed for that three at the end.

A couple of nice, Quick moves to the basket too.

Those two came to play.

Props to Matt and Marshall, both of whom played very well.

I like the Duke Blue five-man line.

wsb3
01-13-2014, 09:25 PM
Rasheed..For the entire game. I wish I felt better about this win though. of course i feel a lot better than if we had lost.

brevity
01-13-2014, 09:28 PM
Gotta be Amile. How many rebounds did he end up with? 16?

Loved that drive by him, too. He should do that more.

Unofficial box score says 15 rebounds. At this rate Amile will set the Duke career record by, oh, Thursday.

azzefkram
01-13-2014, 09:30 PM
I went with Sheed but I wish I had the option to pick the team including the coaching staff.

Furniture
01-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Voted for Sheed but reading the posts and looking at the stats I would like to change my vote!
AMILE!
10 points,15rbs!

_Gary
01-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Had to go with Amile because Rasheed went from hero to goat to hero so quick that I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on him. Yes, he was great most of the night, but he also almost singlehandedly gave the game away with some terrible fouls and that bone-headed turnover at half-court. He did redeem himself and save us with the lucky bounce three, but man that was tough on the old ticker.

Native
01-13-2014, 09:48 PM
Amile Jefferson > Thomas Jefferson.

GGLC
01-13-2014, 09:50 PM
Had to go with Amile because Rasheed went from hero to goat to hero so quick that I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on him. Yes, he was great most of the night, but he also almost singlehandedly gave the game away with some terrible fouls and that bone-headed turnover at half-court. He did redeem himself and save us with the lucky bounce three, but man that was tough on the old ticker.

I will observe in this thread as well as the other one that Rasheed didn't even touch Anderson when Anderson got the putback and the free throw. I have no idea how that foul got called.

_Gary
01-13-2014, 09:55 PM
I will observe in this thread as well as the other one that Rasheed didn't even touch Anderson when Anderson got the putback and the free throw. I have no idea how that foul got called.

If I'm remembering the right play he put his forearm into Anderson's back and pushed him under the basket as he got the tip. It was not only a clear foul but also a terrible box out that allowed it to happen to begin with. But if that's not the play you are talking about then my bad.

kAzE
01-13-2014, 09:57 PM
I love Semi, but how does he get a vote when he didn't log a single minute? Come on, devilyouthcoach

GGLC
01-13-2014, 10:01 PM
If I'm remembering the right play he put his forearm into Anderson's back and pushed him under the basket as he got the tip. It was not only a clear foul but also a terrible box out that allowed it to happen to begin with. But if that's not the play you are talking about then my bad.

...it's possible that I just totally missed that. :). Thanks for the correction.

GGLC
01-13-2014, 10:02 PM
I love Semi, but how does he get a vote when he didn't log a single minute? Come on, devilyouthcoach

He played 2 minutes, and ended up with 2 rebounds and an assist. More rebounds than Josh and Tyler combined, for what it's worth.

AncientPsychicT
01-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Both of my classmates balled out in this game, but I have to go with Amile. Shout out to Sheed for an awesome first half and bailing us out with that 3. However, Amile Jefferson brought the intensity and the effort we needed the whole game. Whenever he was in, he was making excellent plays. And they weren't just the easy plays, he was scrapping and fighting for those rebounds, and even though he rarely saw the ball on the pick and roll play, he still hit the basket hard every time. And OPK was right, Amile was the one who got the o-board that set up Sheed's 3. He absolutely earned both his double double and my MOTM vote.

Although I will say, in the second half, after we had missed a shot and UVA got the board, Rasheed's play to just rip the ball away from the UVA player, drive to the basket, and draw a foul was exhilarating. Super glad to see that coming from Sheed, considering where his game and attitude have been at times this year.

jipops
01-13-2014, 10:18 PM
I was completely torn between Amile and Rasheed. So after listening to K in the post game I took Amile.

OldPhiKap
01-13-2014, 10:20 PM
Amile Jefferson > Thomas Jefferson.

I dunno. The Louisiana Purchase was a pretty sweet deal.

Of course, you could write that off as Louis XIV needing cash after backing the 'Rebs in '76. But still.

But JB Duke and Ben Duke > any Wahoo, so tbere's that too.

dukelifer
01-13-2014, 10:21 PM
Amile was the difference maker. Rasheed not calling the time out was a huge mistake- hence he did not get my vote. Still both guys stepped it up. Need to do that on the road.

OldPhiKap
01-13-2014, 10:24 PM
Amile was the difference maker. Rasheed not calling the time out was a huge mistake- hence he did not get my vote. Still both guys stepped it up. Need to do that on the road.

Road games are tough for young teams, the 2010 team was not a world beater in conference road games. . . .

DukieInBrasil
01-13-2014, 10:38 PM
Amile got my vote. Prior to the final 3 minutes it probably would have been Rasheed, but the failed box-out and-1 foul, halfcourt turnover, and other sloppy play at the end almost lost the game for us more than the 3 points won it for us. Amile's steal and fighting for the subsequent Oboard sealed it.

AncientPsychicT
01-13-2014, 10:39 PM

While a mistake, I'm not sure the blame lies entirely with Sheed on that play. Coach K was howling at the refs for a timeout for a good two or three seconds, yet they just stood oblivious to him. Understandably, coach gave them quite the verbal shakedown, especially the one that was approximately five feet from the Duke bench during the play.

OldPhiKap
01-13-2014, 10:53 PM
While a mistake, I'm not sure the blame lies entirely with Sheed on that play. Coach K was howling at the refs for a timeout for a good two or three seconds, yet they just stood oblivious to him. Understandably, coach gave them quite the verbal shakedown, especially the one that was approximately five feet from the Duke bench during the play.

Echoing this, too -- Sheed is a sophomore. This is a very young team. They make mistakes we yell at, because many of us have plated and watched basketball for longer than these kids have been alive.

This team has incredible upside IF they grow. K probably has to work harder this year than he has in years. This is a young team.

(Cannot spork you more than once a thread, unfortunately)

BD80
01-13-2014, 11:37 PM
Remember when we assumed that Jabari would win this every single game?

Amile over Rasheed, but Rasheed doesn't deserve too much criticism for the failed box-out, he got shoved in a big way on the way in.

kAzE
01-13-2014, 11:45 PM
Remember when we assumed that Jabari would win this every single game?

Amile over Rasheed, but Rasheed doesn't deserve too much criticism for the failed box-out, he got shoved in a big way on the way in.

That shove would get a no-call 100 out of 100 times though, you just have to make a stronger effort to fight for position on rebounds. Shoving is half of boxing out, just most of the time, you're supposed to use your butt to do it.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-14-2014, 01:53 AM
Amile Sulaimon.

Close second: Rasheed Jefferson.

Love those guys! Both of them! :cool:

I voted for Amile in both the DBR poll and this one, but it was REALLY close. In fact, after voting in the DBR poll, it was 115-114 in favor of Amile.

dukelifer
01-14-2014, 05:30 AM

True but he was in trouble and knew it and then left his feet. A mistake but he certainly made up for it with a big three. Confidence is a funny thing. If Duke had lost - he would have taken it hard. Fortunately he had time for one last play.

bob blue devil
01-14-2014, 05:45 AM
voted for rasheed. not only was he tremendously effective on offense, but he single handedly created much of that offense for the second line. agree that it was a tough call vs. amile.

CBecker
01-14-2014, 06:22 AM
Voted Rasheed, for nearly all the game he was the best player on the court, but in the last couple of minutes made at least 3 or 4 terrible errors that nearly cost us the game, but in the grand scheme of things Duke wouldn't have been close without him and he did make up for those mistakes with the clutch 3 at the end :)
I could be being biased as I love Rasheed, but Amile is awesome too and he could've easily been MOTM with his great play.

camion
01-14-2014, 07:40 AM
I split my vote. I voted for Rasheed on the front page and for Amile in this thread. Both were outstanding and essential.

Bob Green
01-14-2014, 11:04 AM
It was a very tough choice between Jefferson and Sulaimon with Jefferson's 15 rebounds winning out in my mind. Sulaimon played inspired so I'm optimistic his sophomore slump is coming to an end. The team displayed great intestinal fortitude over the last two minutes of the game. It is not hyperbole to state they played like champions at crunch time! Congratulations on a hard earned victory over a talented Virginia squad.

CDu
01-14-2014, 12:24 PM
I went with Jefferson, but would not be at all argumentative if someone else prefers Sulaimon. Both came up huge for us last night.

killerleft
01-14-2014, 12:30 PM
I voted for Amile over Rasheed. Both had great games, Amile was more consistent and a bear on the glass.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Toughest choice of the year. Amile totally deserving and would be co-MOTM if possible but I had to give the edge to Rasheed. He lifted the team and came up pretty huge throughout. Obviously his best game of the year by far. Love it if these two play at the same level going forward. Their energy was contagious.

1999ballboy
01-15-2014, 01:01 AM
Without Sheed's offense, it's conceivable that someone else could have stepped up and provided the same kind of spark. Not definite, maybe not even likely, but not out of the question.

But without Amile on the glass, there is NO WAY that anyone could have stepped up in a way that is even close to what he did.

Loved what Sheed did, and I hope we see a lot more of that from him. But in my mind, Amile's performance was more irreplaceable. We're going to need his rebounding skill down the stretch, big time.

BigWayne
01-15-2014, 01:42 AM
Biggest difference between this game and the last was I saw guys boxing out for rebounds. I think I even saw Jabari boxing out once, which I know I didn't see at Clemson.
Amile led the way on this effort, which is why he gets my vote.