PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs UVA Pre-Game & In-Game Thread 1/13/14

Newton_14
01-12-2014, 10:27 PM
Duke hosts a suddenly hot UVA Monday Night in Cameron. Tip is 7pm, TV is ESPN.

Use this thread for pre-game and in-game commentary.

Short turn around from the Clemson game so not a lot of time for K to make drastic changes. I would not assume the starting lineup will the same as Saturday though. The last time I saw UVA they were taking a 35 point beat down at Tennessee, about a week or so after NC State went to the same place and won handily. Ah, the joy of college hoops!

Time to toughen up Devils. UVA will bring their A game. We have to match their intensity above all else. Duke opened as a 7.5 favorite and the line is currently at 6.

OldPhiKap
01-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Our house.

Next play.

Go Duke!

NYBri
01-12-2014, 11:10 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I'm not optimistic.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we've hit bottom. Just don't see a fix for the problems.

Clay Feet POF
01-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Facing UVA will we be the Bigger and/or Stronger team or will they?

Dukehky
01-12-2014, 11:34 PM
Facing UVA will we be the Bigger and/or Stronger team or will they?

Joey Harris and Akil Mitchell combined for 55 points last year. And they are some big boys. I think playing at home will end up being the difference, but I'm not expecting to see us come out pissed off and blow somebody out real quick since we're coming off a loss like in years past. Going to be a tough game. Losing on the road isn't the end all of things, but losing at home looks really, really bad. May be time to take something from Izzo moving forward and go with the "war" drill where people just fight and beat the hell out of each other during practice. Let's get tough Devils.

gofurman
01-12-2014, 11:37 PM
Looked at the teams duke has lost to and 3 of the 4 are very strong rebounding teams - Kansas, Az, Clemson.... The outlier is Notree Dame and, of course, that was a one bucket game. Pretty obvious. Also all losses have - to date- been neutral or on the road. Protect home court. UVA is just slightly below ku, az and Clemson in rebounding ( slightly less ) and plays great D like Clemson does. Otoh, it is at Cameron and, like I said, they aren't quite - v close - as good as AZ and Clemson in rebounding so there is that. .. WTH category? UVA loses to UT by 30 but beats NC state by 30? UT and nc state are Not 60 pts apart - strange days

GGLC
01-12-2014, 11:39 PM
I think we lose this.

Cameron
01-12-2014, 11:41 PM
I expect a huge bounce back game by Andre. He shoots it great in Cameron and we will need it tomorrow. This game will need to be a fight and Duke will need to bring max energy. UVa is very good on D and are confident. Worried about Harris. He is crafty and tough. Duke can win this game if they execute.Big game.

Most certainly. Bigger than big, even. The game tomorrow evening is the difference between 13-4 (2-2) and 12-5 (1-3). With games against N.C. State (doesn't matter how average they are or what Mountain College or Playground State beat them by, the Pack will play like the '83 Sixers against us), @Miami, Florida State, @Pitt and @Syracuse all looming. In a row. That is a rough stretch. If we lose to Virginia and then drop just two of those others before play in February begins, which is easily within the realm of possibility, we're in deep water scrambling for our life vests at 4-5 in the conference.

Agree that Andre will come up huge tomorrow against UVa. He treats the baskets in Cameron like he's shooting hoops at Chuck E. Cheese. So far on the season, he is 24-of-49 from beyond the arc in the building. In years past, some of Andre's better games have come on the road, as, like many a Duke great before him, he has always relished the energy and vitriol of visiting arenas. The Wisconsin ('09) and Florida State ('12) games come to thought. This year he has been much more balanced and seems to really be savoring his final games in college basketball's most famous gymnasium.

Let's turn this around, fellas. This is D-U-K-E, the greatest damn program in the land.

WakeDevil
01-12-2014, 11:47 PM
Two ACC games on Monday night. Never thought I'd see that.

bbosbbos
01-13-2014, 01:10 AM
Go Duke!

But I am very pessimistic if we play like the last game. That performance is really terrible.

Edouble
01-13-2014, 01:12 AM
I think we lose this.

Why?

This is not a helpful post. It's not constructive criticism, it's just blind pessimism. That's weak.

I, for one, am excited to be playing UVA at home. If there's any deep passion that can awaken/jolt Coach K out of whatever low place he's (rightfully) experiencing from the death of his brother, it's playing UVA. That's some old school ACC bad blood right there, and I welcome it. The team usually follows Coach K's lead, and I trust in his leadership. I am happy to be playing UVA, and I will be cheering loudly! I have not given up on 30+ years of excellence because of a tough start to one season! Who's with me?

Go Devils!!!

Bob Green
01-13-2014, 05:15 AM
That's some old school ACC bad blood right there, and I welcome it.

Here is to never forgetting!

It seems the team's offense falls apart once we start struggling on defense so employing a let's outscore the opponent philosophy isn't going to work. Hopefully the staff can figure out our defensive woes rapidly and hopefully they have a plan because all I have is hope and hope isn't a plan.

Joe Harris and Akil Mitchell are talented ball players and Mike Tobey (6'11" 253) is a big inside threat so Duke needs to dig deep and find their inner resolve in a hurry. A win tonight should restore team confidence; I don't want to think about the results of a home loss.

wilson
01-13-2014, 07:41 AM
Two ACC games on Monday night. Never thought I'd see that.Where's Robert Goulet when you need him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZILpc0Ncg

Troublemaker
01-13-2014, 09:12 AM
Duke opened as a 7.5 favorite and the line is currently at 6.

Wow, that line seems absurd. I would be thrilled with a 1-point win. UVA is coming in red hot and is a dark horse contender to win the ACC; currently the Cavs are projected to be 14-4 by Pomeroy, same as Pitt and Syracuse. Duke doesn't have much time to get over what could be a dispiriting loss to Clemson. As someone else pointed out, hopefully our team has the Next Play in them. (Clemson was able to bounce back from their loss to FSU to beat Duke two days later, but imo, Duke's poor play contributed to their confidence growing throughout the game. Not sure this UVA team will supply that sort of benefit. Duke has to Next Play and grow its own confidence before this game.)

roywhite
01-13-2014, 09:18 AM

It seems the team's offense falls apart once we start struggling on defense so employing a let's outscore the opponent philosophy isn't going to work. Hopefully the staff can figure out our defensive woes rapidly and hopefully they have a plan because all I have is hope and hope isn't a plan.

Joe Harris and Akil Mitchell are talented ball players and Mike Tobey (6'11" 253) is a big inside threat so Duke needs to dig deep and find their inner resolve in a hurry. A win tonight should restore team confidence; I don't want to think about the results of a home loss.

UVa seems like precisely the kind of team that matches up well vs Duke; disciplined team with plenty of size and power.

Seems like a huge challenge for this Duke team -- I'll be very interested to see how the team reacts. I think Duke wins by hitting 3-point shots and keeping the rebounding reasonably close.

pfrduke
01-13-2014, 10:11 AM
I posted this in the weekly preview thread, but it's worth mentioning again here: Virginia has been silly good on defense so far in conference play. Wake's 51 is the highest opponent output, and all told Virginia has held opponents to 146 points in 196 possessions, with 2 of those 3 games coming on the road. Most of this performance has been built off of field goal defense - the Cavs' opponents are collectively 36-104 (34.6%) from 2 and 10-41 (24.4%) from 3 - but, somewhat unusually for a pack line team, Virginia has also been turning opponents over at a high rate, with 47 TOs forced, nearly 1 every 4 possessions. For good measure, opponents have gathered in only 27 of the 98 available rebounds. Over the entire season, SMU, Green Bay, and Tennessee are the only teams over a point per possession against Virginia (each of which are decent, but not outstanding, offensive teams), and Virginia has held over half of its opponents to their worst offensive output of the season. Duke is going to have to play very disciplined offense, not turn the ball over, look to take advantage of transition opportunities when available, and maybe just get a little hot to score effectively against UVA.

UrinalCake
01-13-2014, 10:36 AM
I'm actually glad for the short turnaround, hoping the players can put the Clemson loss behind them. I'm hoping to see improved defense and offensive movement. If we win the game by hitting a bunch of threes then I'll be happy with the win but still disappointed if our problems persist on the other end. Glad this one is at home.

hurleyfor3
01-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Suddenly this game feels pretty important. The postgame thread will either be "maybe we're finally figuring things out" or "oh crap".

Matches
01-13-2014, 10:44 AM
Suddenly this game feels pretty important. The postgame thread will either be "maybe we're finally figuring things out" or "oh crap".

It's huge. 1-3 in the ACC with our upcoming schedule is a really bad look. Given our lack of signature non-conference wins, missing the tournament becomes a realistic possibility.

We need this one badly.

CameronDuke
01-13-2014, 10:47 AM
It would be nice to see the Cameron Crazies use up their entire allotment of tickets and pack the student section for this game, something they couldn't do for the Georgia Tech game last week. The team and coaches need their support. They were subpar last week in terms of the energy they invoked and created.

Anyone know if the ticket office has offered student tickets to the general public for tonight's game yet? If so that's sad and says a lot about the state of the program at this point, fans and team collectively.

GGLC
01-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Why?

This is not a helpful post. It's not constructive criticism, it's just blind pessimism. That's weak.

Okay. This is why I think we'll lose:

Wow, that line seems absurd. I would be thrilled with a 1-point win. UVA is coming in red hot and is a dark horse contender to win the ACC; currently the Cavs are projected to be 14-4 by Pomeroy, same as Pitt and Syracuse. Duke doesn't have much time to get over what could be a dispiriting loss to Clemson. As someone else pointed out, hopefully our team has the Next Play in them. (Clemson was able to bounce back from their loss to FSU to beat Duke two days later, but imo, Duke's poor play contributed to their confidence growing throughout the game. Not sure this UVA team will supply that sort of benefit. Duke has to Next Play and grow its own confidence before this game.)

UVa seems like precisely the kind of team that matches up well vs Duke; disciplined team with plenty of size and power.

Seems like a huge challenge for this Duke team -- I'll be very interested to see how the team reacts. I think Duke wins by hitting 3-point shots and keeping the rebounding reasonably close.

I posted this in the weekly preview thread, but it's worth mentioning again here: Virginia has been silly good on defense so far in conference play. Wake's 51 is the highest opponent output, and all told Virginia has held opponents to 146 points in 196 possessions, with 2 of those 3 games coming on the road. Most of this performance has been built off of field goal defense - the Cavs' opponents are collectively 36-104 (34.6%) from 2 and 10-41 (24.4%) from 3 - but, somewhat unusually for a pack line team, Virginia has also been turning opponents over at a high rate, with 47 TOs forced, nearly 1 every 4 possessions. For good measure, opponents have gathered in only 27 of the 98 available rebounds. Over the entire season, SMU, Green Bay, and Tennessee are the only teams over a point per possession against Virginia (each of which are decent, but not outstanding, offensive teams), and Virginia has held over half of its opponents to their worst offensive output of the season. Duke is going to have to play very disciplined offense, not turn the ball over, look to take advantage of transition opportunities when available, and maybe just get a little hot to score effectively against UVA.

Sir Stealth
01-13-2014, 10:59 AM
It's been really frustrating the past couple of years how UVA has been permitted to defend us by constantly bumping, clutching and grabbing all of our players moving off the ball. So far the new emphasis for officiating seems to be that slight contact will be called when defending a dribble drive, but I don't know if there's any material difference in preventing a ton of contact off the ball that really gums up the works of an offense. Our offensive flow has had a tendency to really break down for stretches - the last thing I want to see is off-ball movement stalling out, a clogged up offense, and our players surrendering running real offense in favor of settling for contested pull up three attempts again and again.

oldnavy
01-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Fear is a GREAT motivator. I understand in the context of the article on the front page, that the point is that you cannot scream and browbeat people to greatness. True enough.

However, fear is an excellent motivational tool just as encouragement, positive reinforcement, critical (positive) feedback, etc... are.

To dismiss fear as an effective motivating tool is short sighted. Fear of failure, fear of embarrassment, fear of disappointing someone you love or respect, yes even fear of being call out and embarrassed can all effectively motivate depending on the person and situation.

However, if fear (fear of the coach yelling or benching you) is the ONLY motivator you employ, then I agree it has limited and quickly diminishing value.

Plus, everyone has different triggers for motivation. Some respond very well to negative feedback, others not at all... effective leaders have multiple methods and find which ones work for which group or individual... usually by trial and error.

I trust K knows what to do. I don't get the sense that the team's issue is lack of motivation as much as practical application. They don't seem to be able to apply what Coach wants. So, the issue will be finding something that clicks with them so they "get it" or Coach K finding an effective alternative that this team can apply.

I also get the sense that Coach K is stubborn, yet not to the point that he will allow himself or others to fail. I wouldn't be surprised to see MP3 get increased PT or we use the zone more, or sagging MTM...

UrinalCake
01-13-2014, 11:46 AM
As even more added motivation, mp3 was recruited VERY heavily by UVA and they were the favorites to land him, to the extent that I thought we had stopped recruiting him altogether. Somehow he had a late change of heart and chose us. So it'd be really nice to NOT have them prove to us that he made a mistake, on our home floor.

rtnorthrup
01-13-2014, 12:05 PM

Agreed, fan message boards are notorious for gross over-reactions to a single data point.

Wildling
01-13-2014, 12:11 PM
If the players don't play with some sort of passion and a lot of heart, I will be shocked. Not so much shocked with the players, but rather the coaches who can't seem to drill it into their heads of what the name on the front of the jersey represents.

I'm saying I want them out on that floor acting like rabid dogs for 40 minutes. Win or lose, then at least I know they get it.

uh_no
01-13-2014, 12:38 PM
It would be nice to see the Cameron Crazies use up their entire allotment of tickets and pack the student section for this game, something they couldn't do for the Georgia Tech game last week. The team and coaches need their support. They were subpar last week in terms of the energy they invoked and created.

students were still getting back from break last week. classes only started on wednesday.

TexHawk
01-13-2014, 12:40 PM
I would just like to cordially ask for a timely game, that Duke wins by 20*, so I can watch the entirety of KU/ISU which follows you on Big Monday. ACC fans are new to this, but in the past, Big12 fans would always miss the first 5-6 minutes of the 2nd Big Monday game, while the 1st game runs over. Don't get me wrong, it's always fun to watch Providence foul Villanova 20 times in the final two minutes of a 15 point game. Who wouldn't pay to see that?

I realize the new rules may make this difficult for both teams, but even so, who needs a silly 8 second routine at the free throw line? Who needs 5 dribbles? Just get up and get to the line, shoot em, run back on defense. I'm sure Coach K would appreciate the spirit!

* Yes, I realize my wish could be granted by a 20 point UVA win too. But I bet you wouldn't want to entertain that option.

I will be back on Saturday, since Duke/NC State precedes KU/Oklahoma State on CBS as well.

Dukehky
01-13-2014, 12:41 PM
It's huge. 1-3 in the ACC with our upcoming schedule is a really bad look. Given our lack of signature non-conference wins, missing the tournament becomes a realistic possibility.

We need this one badly.

I don't think missing the tournament becomes a realistic possibility until much farther along in the season. Even if we lose this game, I think we'd have to go 9-9 in the conference for Duke to miss the tournament. But, that doesn't matter, because we're going to finish 16-2, win the ACCT and then go win the National Championship because we have the best coach of all time and 2 lottery picks.

fisheyes
01-13-2014, 12:44 PM
I don't think missing the tournament becomes a realistic possibility until much farther along in the season. Even if we lose this game, I think we'd have to go 9-9 in the conference for Duke to miss the tournament. But, that doesn't matter, because we're going to finish 16-2, win the ACCT and then go win the National Championship because we have the best coach of all time and 2 lottery picks.

I'll have what he's having!

;)

CameronDuke
01-13-2014, 12:51 PM
students were still getting back from break last week. classes only started on wednesday.

Good point. With classes starting Wednesday, wouldn't most students be back on campus Tuesday night though? I would think enough students would have been back last Tuesday night when we played GT to at least fill the student section...

Then again maybe men's basketball games aren't high on their priority list this year.

Lid
01-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Bleacher tickets for tonight are actually on sale right now to Iron Dukes. Hopefully the students will come out in force, but it looks like the basketball office is hedging on that. Hopefully whoever is there is loud and enthusiastic. If there's a boost to be given, I hope we give it.

Kfanarmy
01-13-2014, 01:30 PM
I'll have what he's having!

;) And on a Monday morning. I celebrate the optimism. Bomb away, hit the trey.

CDu
01-13-2014, 02:35 PM
I would just like to cordially ask for a timely game, that Duke wins by 20*, so I can watch the entirety of KU/ISU which follows you on Big Monday. ACC fans are new to this, but in the past, Big12 fans would always miss the first 5-6 minutes of the 2nd Big Monday game, while the 1st game runs over. Don't get me wrong, it's always fun to watch Providence foul Villanova 20 times in the final two minutes of a 15 point game. Who wouldn't pay to see that?

I realize the new rules may make this difficult for both teams, but even so, who needs a silly 8 second routine at the free throw line? Who needs 5 dribbles? Just get up and get to the line, shoot em, run back on defense. I'm sure Coach K would appreciate the spirit!

* Yes, I realize my wish could be granted by a 20 point UVA win too. But I bet you wouldn't want to entertain that option.

I will be back on Saturday, since Duke/NC State precedes KU/Oklahoma State on CBS as well.

Oh we are quite familiar with the pitfalls of being the late game on ESPN. The ACC may be new to Monday night, but we have long sufferred the same fate on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.

The good news is that unless you are on basic cable, you can just go to ESPNNEWS or ESPNU to catch the tip of your game. They have gotten much better at finding a channel to air the start of the late game while the early game drags out.

wilson
01-13-2014, 03:26 PM
ACC fans are new to this, but in the past, Big12 fans would always miss the first 5-6 minutes of the 2nd Big Monday game, while the 1st game runs over. Don't get me wrong, it's always fun to watch Providence foul Villanova 20 times in the final two minutes of a 15 point game. Who wouldn't pay to see that?It may not have previously happened on Mondays, but we are by no means new to the scenario you outline here. We missed the entire first half of a Duke-Gonzaga game in 2009(ish) because of some godawful triple-OT Big East slugfest, in the days just before ESPN3 was accessible enough to be a viable option.

Dev11
01-13-2014, 03:36 PM
It may not have previously happened on Mondays, but we are by no means new to the scenario you outline here. We missed the entire first half of a Duke-Gonzaga game in 2009(ish) because of some godawful triple-OT Big East slugfest, in the days just before ESPN3 was accessible enough to be a viable option.

I also recall a game between Duke and Wake Forest a few years ago when the first thing we saw on tv was Jon Scheyer hitting a three with 2 minutes left in the first half.

Say what you will about the shortcomings of ESPN's editorial staff, but they've really improved the ability for us to watch nearly every second of Duke Basketball.

sagegrouse
01-13-2014, 03:36 PM
It may not have previously happened on Mondays, but we are by no means new to the scenario you outline here. We missed the entire first half of a Duke-Gonzaga game in 2009(ish) because of some godawful triple-OT Big East slugfest, in the days just before ESPN3 was accessible enough to be a viable option.

Yes, and to top it off, Villanova Coach Jay Wright called timeout with 0.8 seconds left in OT and his team trailing by ten points.

wilson
01-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Yes, and to top it off, Villanova Coach Jay Wright called timeout with 0.8 seconds left in OT and his team trailing by ten points.I had forgotten about that part. I truly thought I was going to have an aneurysm that night. I can still see my brother laughing at me.

BD80
01-13-2014, 04:12 PM
Yes, and to top it off, Villanova Coach Jay Wright called timeout with 0.8 seconds left in OT and his team trailing by ten points.

He knew he was delaying the switch to a Duke game, he knew.

TexHawk
01-13-2014, 04:46 PM
Oh we are quite familiar with the pitfalls of being the late game on ESPN. The ACC may be new to Monday night, but we have long sufferred the same fate on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.

The good news is that unless you are on basic cable, you can just go to ESPNNEWS or ESPNU to catch the tip of your game. They have gotten much better at finding a channel to air the start of the late game while the early game drags out.

Good to know that others have shared our pain. Did your games follow Big East foul-fests too? There is something about those teams and games, they adore a foul like I enjoy a fine secondary break.

ACC hoops flow better, so I'm not terribly worried. ESPNU has Syracuse scheduled at 9, but ESPNNews is open, and ESPN2 has the Aussie open. Those Sheilas will be fine watching Wiggins and Embiid over Lleyton Hewitt, right?

Dev11
01-13-2014, 04:54 PM
Good to know that others have shared our pain. Did your games follow Big East foul-fests too? There is something about those teams and games, they adore a foul like I enjoy a fine secondary break.

Sometimes you get lucky and get to follow a delightful B1G game featuring all star slow pokes like Wisconsin. Those are a treat.

oldnavy
01-13-2014, 05:25 PM
I also recall a game between Duke and Wake Forest a few years ago when the first thing we saw on tv was Jon Scheyer hitting a three with 2 minutes left in the first half.

Say what you will about the shortcomings of ESPN's editorial staff, but they've really improved the ability for us to watch nearly every second of Duke Basketball.

Every second except when they cut away from the action to show celebrities or parents or coaches or students or celebrity parents of students, or just nice looking mom's of players, etc... just about anything except what is going on in the game itself...

It's like the video equivalent to Vital's audio red herring, about meeting Gene Simmons and his wife on an elevator because Jackson Simmons for UNC had scored a basket.....

At some point you either bust your TV set or just laugh it off...

I mute Vital, but I cannot figure a way to keep the camera on the action....

vick
01-13-2014, 06:36 PM
From a Laura Keeley tweet, Matt Jones is slated to start tonight.

riverside6
01-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/UVA, starters posted. Matt Jones starting for Duke...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=20047

FerryFor50
01-13-2014, 06:49 PM

Interesting.... who is he starting in place of?

Furniture
01-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/UVA, starters posted. Matt Jones starting for Duke...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=20047

Sheed in the dog house again? Anyone hazard a guess what he didn't do last game? Obviously he didn't play well but the whole team didn't either so why pick on him?

Dev11
01-13-2014, 06:50 PM

Throwback to the 2009 starting lineup switch, although Matt starts earlier than Elliot did.

_Gary
01-13-2014, 06:57 PM

Told ya, Kedsy. :D

Just kidding. Kinda. LOL

CameronDuke
01-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Apparently the folks in Durham aren't too excited to see the No. 23 team in the nation. Lots of empty seats and nine minutes on the clock.

Pitiful student support for the team this year. Can't blame this one on classes not being in session yet either...

noworries
01-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Interesting 5 for 5 sub there...like the Jones start...UVA can't buy a bucket right now.

dukelifer
01-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Apparently the folks in Durham aren't too excited to see the No. 23 team in the nation. Lots of empty seats and nine minutes on the clock.

Pitiful student support for the team this year. Can't blame this one on classes not being in session yet either...

Classes are in session folks

pfrduke
01-13-2014, 07:12 PM
Interesting 5 for 5 sub there...like the Jones start...UVA can't buy a bucket right now.

I think the Jones start was only in part a message to Sheed - in part it was a strategy to allow us to sub 5-for-5 and still have a creator on the court with the second 5. I like the full court defensive look so far. Not really forcing turnovers, but increasing the pace on UVA and getting them out of the game they want to play.

ncexnyc
01-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Not good when UVA's best player hasn't scored and you're only up two.

arnie
01-13-2014, 07:24 PM
I think the Jones start was only in part a message to Sheed - in part it was a strategy to allow us to sub 5-for-5 and still have a creator on the court with the second 5. I like the full court defensive look so far. Not really forcing turnovers, but increasing the pace on UVA and getting them out of the game they want to play.

Playing stronger, but offense is going south.

pfrduke
01-13-2014, 07:29 PM
Sheed as the point with the second unit has been working nicely.

Furniture
01-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Lots of interesting things going on here but I definitely think Marshall is looking interesting. Maybe most of DBR is right".

trinity79
01-13-2014, 07:30 PM

To paraphrase the Bard:
"Our fault lies not in our fans, but in our team." I saw Coach K exhorting the fans at the under-12 timeout. At Duke the fans will ALWAYS be there; just focus on the team (and defense). We are not the wine and cheese fans. They are 12 miles down the road (and currently suffering).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-13-2014, 07:36 PM
D holding UVa to a point a minute.

I'll take it.

duke09hms
01-13-2014, 07:38 PM
Amile driving brings a whole new dimension to the offense. Need to see that going forward.

BlueandWhite
01-13-2014, 07:40 PM
D holding UVa to a point a minute.

I'll take it.

Harris has done nothing tonight for UVA - way to go D - as commenters have noted, great game thus far by Amile.

willywoody
01-13-2014, 07:41 PM
This is soooo Twilight, I'm definitely Team Tyler all the way, but that Amile for team Quinn is playing well.

Furniture
01-13-2014, 07:44 PM
This is soooo Twilight, I'm definitely Team Tyler all the way, but that Amile for team Quinn is playing well.

Team Tyler or Sheed?

Gthoma2a
This is what we expected from the beginning. Depth. We can pressure as hard as we want, as long as we put these guys out here. Plumlee is doing well, as well. I can't say how happy I am to see this many guys getting a chance. We DO have the talent to play more than most teams. Hopefully this means that K has noticed that.

duke09hms
Plumlee with the block to start the fast break and Rasheed score ...

maybe theres something there.

miramar
01-13-2014, 07:47 PM
Leading 20-19

arnie
01-13-2014, 07:47 PM
Offensive goaltending on Harris 3??

duke09hms
01-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Whole team is boxing out much better. Jabari still making questionable decisions on offense.

nyesq83
01-13-2014, 07:49 PM
Oh-my-God!
Coach K is playing most of the guys in the team?
Satan is freezing his butt off!

Gthoma2a
01-13-2014, 07:49 PM
Jabari forces it sometimes. That isn't what we need. We are emphasizing team play. He can't lose sight of that (otherwise Hood, Quinn and Rasheed follow; looking at previous games).

willywoody
01-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Team Tyler or Sheed?

going by point guards. looks like 'Sheed has gone over to team Quinn.

sporthenry
01-13-2014, 07:51 PM
So I guess K took the team to task and they've responded. Maybe he opens up his bench a bit more going forward. Interesting that Duke's best game of late has been the Big 3's worse game. Obviously, they haven't played as much as normal.

For as good as Parker/Hood are, they need to stop settling for 3's.

duke09hms
01-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Marshall with the tip-out offensive rebound for a Hood 3. Bang!

NYBri
I really don't like to see Quinn cook walk the ball up the floor time and time again.

sporthenry
Also, this new block/charge rule stinks. I understand that there were too many charges but this response has gone too far in the opposite direction. They've essentially gotten rid of the rule of verticality. The play earlier with Jones when he was just standing there, what else is he supposed to do?

Gthoma2a
01-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Marshall with the tip-out offensive rebound for a Hood 3. Bang!

Whether people believe he can contribute or not, he is tonight. That, and he seems to be a very good teammate. He is doing the little things to help his team without making any big mistakes. I hope this leads to more opportunities in the future.

As far as the Team Sheed or Team Tyler, I am Team K (that trumps all of the others).

duke09hms
01-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Strong defensive effort in first half but we're still in the danger zone only up 8. 36-28.

arnie
01-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Also, this new block/charge rule stinks. I understand that there were too many charges but this response has gone too far in the opposite direction. They've essentially gotten rid of the rule of verticality. The play earlier with Jones when he was just standing there, what else is he supposed to do?

Apparently UVA doesn't foul AT ALL. Very uneven officiating so far.

Gthoma2a
01-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Anyone think we're going to wear them down in the second half? We aren't going to be wearing down with this rotation.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Anyone think we're going to wear them down in the second half? We aren't going to be wearing down with this rotation.

It would be a nice change from the last few games, where the second half is where the other team figures us out. Would love to see separation.

sporthenry
01-13-2014, 08:03 PM

Also, not that this 10 man rotation will stick but I think it shows that K needs to adapt going forward. Relying on seniors like Curry, Singler, JJ to play 35+ minutes was one thing. But its unrealistic for freshmen to come in and play that much. Even Hood who hadn't played a game in a year was probably struggling.

rsvman
01-13-2014, 08:03 PM
If Coach K continues this substitution pattern, you may be right.

I hope he doesn't tighten up the rotation in the second half.

dbowen
01-13-2014, 08:04 PM
I LOVE THE HOCKEY STYLE LINE CHANGES!!!!

It keeps our intensity up and the "Team Effort" is a lot better at both ends of the floor.

Wildling
01-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Love the effort and passion from the players. 5 in and 5 out substitutions? That will get players attention to play well while out on the floor! Make it hard for the coach to take you out! I love it!

roywhite
01-13-2014, 08:07 PM
12 fouls on Duke; 6 on UVa

UVa staying in the game at FT line -- 12 for 15

dukeinal
01-13-2014, 08:08 PM
I expect UVA to at least try to dribble drive one on one more and spread the floor. Keep playing defense like we are and it won't work...

Furniture
01-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Whether people believe he can contribute or not, he is tonight. That, and he seems to be a very good teammate. He is doing the little things to help his team without making any big mistakes. I hope this leads to more opportunities in the future.

As far as the Team Sheed or Team Tyler, I am Team K (that trumps all of the others).

You just hit the nail on the head with this whole comment....However, does anyone feel that Tyler moves it up the floor faster than cook?

FerryFor50
01-13-2014, 08:12 PM
12 fouls on Duke; 6 on UVa

UVa staying in the game at FT line -- 12 for 15

UVA allowed NCSU to shoot 23 free throws in a 31 point blow out win. Hard to believe they've only allowed 3 FTs to Duke so far...

Gthoma2a
01-13-2014, 08:12 PM
You just hit the nail on the head with this whole comment....However, does anyone feel that Tyler moves it up the floor faster than cook?

Definitely, at times. Quinn may be more dynamic with a change of pace, but Tyler seems to be able to sprint with more pace (could just be hustle; you just see Quinn more worried about dribbling than running, like he gets his scholarship by meeting a quota). I am not sure, but I think Quinn trying to run too much may be slowing the team down on some breaks. I'd like to see him with more outlet passes.

UrinalCake
01-13-2014, 08:16 PM
I love the idea of using all of our guys. Let them play as hard as they can knowing they'll get a breather. And when they know they're not going to be immediately yanked after a mistake, they'll play looser

nyesq83
01-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Too many missed three's

Gthoma2a
01-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Quinn hurt his knee. Hopefully nothing serious.

MartyClark
01-13-2014, 08:19 PM
Too many missed three's

I don't like the way that Jabari has hoisted early threes.

Furniture
01-13-2014, 08:20 PM
Was Amile really out?

Gthoma2a
01-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Ankle. That looked painful. Glad to hear that it doesn't sound like too much.

ChrisP
01-13-2014, 08:21 PM

Yeah, I didn't think either of the shots he made at the beginning of the half were good shots

Gthoma2a
01-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Why is Hairston even on the perimeter in that situation. He had a great opportunity to just throw it at the rim. The worst thing that happens is that we don't get the rebound. Instead, he just gets terrified and throws it back to the guy who just passed it to him.

sporthenry
01-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Why is Hairston even on the perimeter in that situation. He had a great opportunity to just throw it at the rim. The worst thing that happens is that we don't get the rebound. Instead, he just gets terrified and throws it back to the guy who just passed it to him.

B/c there is a loose ball on the floor and he was giving Sheed someone to pass to. While not a great play, a shot clock violation in that situation is somewhat understandable.

duke09hms
01-13-2014, 08:27 PM

So much for senior leader composure? He should have just shot it.

UVA is playing some very physical defense.

Gthoma2a
01-13-2014, 08:28 PM
B/c there is a loose ball on the floor and he was giving Sheed someone to pass to. While not a great play, a shot clock violation in that situation is somewhat understandable.

I'm just advocating throwing it at the rim instead of giving the pass back to someone with a second on the clock (a shot at the rebound is better than the automatic turnover). If you don't even plan on that, you may want to have someone else run out and you replace them in a more basket-central location.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Was Amile really out?

Well, yeah. I mean, he only has 13 boards so far.

arnie
01-13-2014, 08:30 PM

Hoisting is a good description - don't know why he takes so many while well guarded. Hood's on the other hand are under control and usually open.

Furniture
The day that Jabari starts scoring again we will be killing teams but I agree he is making poor decisions. I think he must be so anxious to do well.

FerryFor50
Was Amile really out?

Not until he had gotten rid of the ball.... but whatever.

dukeinal
01-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I didn't think either of the shots he made at the beginning of the half were good shots

On the other side he has established good position inside a few times this half and has not gotten the ball.

sporthenry
01-13-2014, 08:31 PM
I'm just advocating throwing it at the rim instead of giving the pass back to someone with a second on the clock (a shot at the rebound is better than the automatic turnover). If you don't even plan on that, you may want to have someone else run out and you replace them in a more basket-central location.

I understand that but it was a broken play. Sheed was just trying to get it to anyone. And in that situation, it is somewhat understandable to forget how much time is on the clock. Sheed was on the floor for 4-5 seconds so I'm sure nobody had looked at it in a bit. Just silly to harp on this wasted possession when someone like Parker takes unwarranted 3's all night. I think Josh is just an easy target for some here.

duke09hms
01-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Matt Jones is impressing on defense. Most freshmen seem to be lost on defense, he seems to get it scheme/effort-wise. Just needs to settle down on offense and see a shot go through.

Furniture
01-13-2014, 08:33 PM
K mixing them up now....

Gthoma2a
01-13-2014, 08:35 PM
I understand that but it was a broken play. Sheed was just trying to get it to anyone. And in that situation, it is somewhat understandable to forget how much time is on the clock. Sheed was on the floor for 4-5 seconds so I'm sure nobody had looked at it in a bit. Just silly to harp on this wasted possession when someone like Parker takes unwarranted 3's all night. I think Josh is just an easy target for some here.

Understood. I like Josh, and it was merely a one play peeve. I like the entire 10 man rotation, really.

Way to go Dawkins, diving on the loose ball.

Gthoma2a
01-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Is anyone else holding a man of the match vote for Marshall for the first game he hits a free throw? He's played well. With an opportunity, tonight could be the night.

ChrisP
01-13-2014, 08:39 PM
On the other side he has established good position inside a few times this half and has not gotten the ball.

Ok, but that's not JP's fault whereas forcing shots, not passing out of double teams & so forth are.

dukeinal
01-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Ok, but that's not JP's fault whereas forcing shots, not passing out of double teams & so forth are.

Agree, think he might be getting a little frustrated and forcing it, not unusual for a freshman, even one as good as he is..

Furniture
I think VA has a harder time scoring with Marshall in. I like it but my guess Sheed gets it so far.
On the other hand if he shoots anFT who knows....

CameronDuke
To paraphrase the Bard:
"Our fault lies not in our fans, but in our team." I saw Coach K exhorting the fans at the under-12 timeout. At Duke the fans will ALWAYS be there; just focus on the team (and defense). We are not the wine and cheese fans. They are 12 miles down the road (and currently suffering).

Jay Bilas just said the fans are quiet. He essentially said they are weak tonight. So you take his word or no?

Quit drinking the kool aid. The fans at the last two home games have been quiet and weak.

arnie

I'm much more comfortable when Its obvious Hood will drive than when Parker is doing same.

jipops
01-13-2014, 08:46 PM
Time to show toughness.

pfrduke
Jay Bilas just said the fans are quiet. He essentially said they are weak tonight. So you take his word or no?

Quit drinking the kool aid. The fans at the last two home games have been quiet and weak.

Also, the bleachers in the corner across from the Duke bench are definitely empty. Looks like about 5-10 feet worth of unfilled rows, if not more.

FerryFor50
I think VA has a harder time scoring with Marshall in. I like it but my guess Sheed gets it so far.
On the other hand if he shoots anFT who knows....

We all see what we want to see, I suppose...

Furniture

I think Bilas has shown his Duke colours tonight...

ChrisP
01-13-2014, 08:47 PM
I'm much more comfortable when Its obvious Hood will drive than when Parker is doing same.

Agreed. Jabari is crazy talented but just making poor decisions lately.

duke09hms
01-13-2014, 08:51 PM
UVA seems to have a lot more success attacking the offensive glass when Marshall is out. But then again, I'm slightly biased in that I do want to see more Plumlee.

Cameron
01-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Why can't this team just check out and stop easy put-backs inside? So frustrating to watch happen over and over and over. This game should be locked up and over.

NYBri
01-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Jabari isn't getting the ball where he can work. I think he needs to get the ball at the elbow.

Gthoma2a
01-13-2014, 08:53 PM
UVA seems to have a lot more success attacking the offensive glass when Marshall is out. But then again, I'm slightly biased in that I do want to see more Plumlee.

After 5 and a half years, it's like cowbell. You just want more of it in the mix.

willywoody
01-13-2014, 08:53 PM
I think Bilas has shown his Duke colours tonight...

Bilas speak for a Virginia foul that was not called is "almost fouled." He really thinks it was a foul but doesn't want to look biased.

btw, where is Danny Meagher when you need him. This thuggery needs to be addressed.

ChrisP
01-13-2014, 08:55 PM
After 5 and a half years, it's like cowbell. You just want more of it in the mix.

I got a fever...and the only prescription. ..is more Plumlee!!!

willywoody
Jabari isn't getting the ball where he can work. I think he needs to get the ball at the elbow.

yep, he needs NBA style clear out situations, which he was getting at the start of the year. I hope they return after Coach works out these other issues.

Furniture
My conclusion is that Sheed plays better without Rodney and Jabari.....

duke09hms
01-13-2014, 08:57 PM
why can't this team just check out and stop easy put-backs inside? So frustrating to watch happen over and over and over. This game should be locked up and over.

more plumlee!!

ChrisP
01-13-2014, 08:57 PM
Ugh, once again, Cook's insistence on playing his man super tight leads to a blow by and pass to an open shooter. :(

nyesq83
01-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Getting ugly

duke09hms
01-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Poor boxout by Sheed on Anderson to get a 3pt-play on offensive putback.

Cameron
01-13-2014, 09:00 PM
What are we doing? I mean, have some pride and find your man. These easy shots inside on second chance opportunities have killed us. I won't be sad if we lose. This team needs to wake up.

Gthoma2a
01-13-2014, 09:00 PM
How can we be falling apart right now?

duke09hms
01-13-2014, 09:01 PM
UVA coming back with Marshall Plumlee on the bench ... immajussayin

DukieInBrasil
Cook, Sulaimon and Hood all having huge brain farts right there. This team is just not smart late in the game. I can't believe the melt-down that is going on now.

nyesq83
I'm never sad when we lose.

Angry, maybe, but never sad.

ChrisP
Ok...who pushed the self-destruct button???

arnie
How can we be falling apart right now?

Small ball killing us.

sporthenry
01-13-2014, 09:02 PM
Obviously Duke fell apart but man, UVA is allowed to use their hands on defense.

arnie
01-13-2014, 09:02 PM
Small ball killing us.

Pitiful play!

nyesq83
01-13-2014, 09:03 PM
...giving up conventional three point plays. Foul hard, if you're gonna foul, boys.

Cameron
I'm never sad when we lose.

Angry, maybe, but never sad.

I won't be angry, either. This team doesn't deserve to win any game playing like this. A loss at home might do them more good than any win could.

DukieInBrasil
What an absolute meltdown. How can Duke not get a better shot than that off a time out?

Gthoma2a
Are we insane? No rim protector or rebounder put in the game... We are just going to live and die with this lineup that has given up the lead.

ChrisP
01-13-2014, 09:04 PM
We were up 56-43 with at least 2 chances to add to the lead. Offense has gone in the tank (along with defense)

sporthenry
01-13-2014, 09:05 PM
Perhaps chicken little but this is going to be a tough game to rebound from for the team if they lose.

Gthoma2a
01-13-2014, 09:06 PM
I went from being encouraged to discouraged. If we can't get a better performance than this at home, we are in trouble on the road all year long. Also, the substitutions stopped at the end of the game and it let them get their rhythm.

arnie
01-13-2014, 09:07 PM
Utterly despicable

All on K - plays small ball we give it up.

DukieInBrasil
I cannot believe how poorly this team finishes games. I have never seen a worse Duke team in the clutch. Yet again, Duke has blown a lead with less than 10 minutes in the second half. They could still win, but they losing with less than a minute.

NYBri
Major meltdown. Began with QC missing front end of one and one.

Cameron
Everything's fine. We'll be ok. It's all starting to click. Right.

As others have stated, when Marshall was in the game, there was a passion in the paint defensively that had this team playing much better than at any point in recent games. Yet, he's been sitting down for the last five minutes. Utterly baffling.

duke09hms
01-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Would like to see the +/- with Plumlee lineups. Also, why did K stop with the line changes?

Rasheed with the clutch 3!

sporthenry
01-13-2014, 09:09 PM
We were up 56-43 with at least 2 chances to add to the lead. Offense has gone in the tank (along with defense)

Honestly, the fact that our offense can do this with two lottery picks, Sheed, and Cook. There is something wrong with here.

NYBri
Even if we win this, there is nothing to feel good about this game.

Dukehky
Everything's fine. We'll be ok. It's all starting to click. Right.

As others have stated, when Marshall was in the game, there was a passion in the paint defensively that had this team playing much better than at any point in recent games. Yet, he's been sitting down for the last five minutes. Utterly baffling.

Plus, it's nice to see that we're playing stall ball again. That has really proven to be effective in the past.

DukieInBrasil
01-13-2014, 09:10 PM
All on K - plays small ball we give it up.

partly, but the players are the ones who absolutely fell apart. That 3 may have saved Sulaimon from being the goat. He nearly single-handedly gave the game to UVa.
Jefferson for player of the game.

duke09hms
01-13-2014, 09:11 PM

Plumlee fans feel vindicated? MORE PLUMLEE!!

arnie
01-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Honestly, the fact that our offense can do this with two lottery picks, Sheed, and Cook. There is something wrong with here.

Need 1-got it

DukieInBrasil
01-13-2014, 09:12 PM

wrong. Amile Jefferson's play is to feel good about.