PDA

View Full Version : Isn't there a game tomorrow?

dukelifer
01-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Seems like we should be discussing Duke's next opponent.

CameronDuke
01-12-2014, 09:51 PM

Yes we do have a game tomorrow. Against a Virginia team that is 3-0 in the ACC and coming off a dismantling of NCSU in Raleigh. This team we are playing is playing some of the best basketball in the league. Duke better live by their "next play" mantra and put the Clemson game in the rear view or Virginia will roll into Cameron and make them 1-3 in the ACC and on the NCAA Tournament bubble. I expect Tony Bennett to play Mike Tobey in the post for many minutes tomorrow and if Duke can't figure out a better way to rebound or keep Tobey and Akil Mitchell from scoring on the blocks, Duke will lose. I think Cook will hold his own at the PG position and I think Rodney Hood and our deep guard lineup will hold Joe Harris in check (he's coming off a concussion at FSU a week ago) but their big men worry me. This is a gut check game for Duke. I'm just hoping the guys listen to Coach K who I know is coaching his butt off right now. Let's Go Duke!

Cameron
01-12-2014, 09:53 PM
You mean we weren't eliminated after losing to Clemson? I had already moved my focus on to next season.

As you seem to be, I too am glad we have a game so soon. Another week to ruminate over all of this would be brutal. With that said, just because it is sometimes nice to quickly move on to the next game and forget about yesterday, the internal flaws that have hindered this team thus far will still be there tomorrow. And the day after that, until something changes. Maybe K will prove many of us, myself included, wrong by abandoning his tried and true methods and unveiling some new master plan tomorrow. Or maybe we'll just play harder mentally and shoot the three-ball well. Either way.

dukelifer
01-12-2014, 10:01 PM
You mean we weren't eliminated after losing to Clemson? I had already moved my focus on to next season.

As you seem to be, I too am glad we have a game so soon. Another week to ruminate over all of this would be brutal. With that said, just because it is sometimes nice to quickly move on to the next game and forget about yesterday, the internal flaws that have hindered this team thus far will still be there tomorrow. And the day after that, until something changes. Maybe K will prove many of us, myself included, wrong by abandoning his tried and true methods and unveiling some new master plan tomorrow. Or maybe we'll just play harder mentally and shoot the three-ball well. Either way.

I expect a huge bounce back game by Andre. He shoots it great in Cameron and we will need it tomorrow. This game will need to be a fight and Duke will need to bring max energy. UVa is very good on D and are confident. Worried about Harris. He is crafty and tough. Duke can win this game if they execute. Big game.

DukieInBrasil
01-12-2014, 10:03 PM
I for one am worried. Although we have played much better in Cameron than away, we beat a terrible Vermont team at home by 1, and led a mediocre GT team by 1 at the half. So we're capable of playing low-quality ball at home, and i don't think we'll be able to win vs UVa with even one half of low-quality ball.
It seems like this team's greatest difficulty right now is consistency: what works one game doesn't seem to carry over to the next, or even from half to half. I wish i could say it didn't seem effort related.
Patient offensive teams seem to have lots of success vs us this year, almost like we just get bored with playing defense after about 25 seconds. Our guards have not had much success forcing turns or just speeding the other team up, so if we allow UVa to shoot well from the floor, it could be a long, low-scoring game. That would bode well for UVa.

dukelifer
01-12-2014, 10:13 PM
I for one am worried. Although we have played much better in Cameron than away, we beat a terrible Vermont team at home by 1, and led a mediocre GT team by 1 at the half. So we're capable of playing low-quality ball at home, and i don't think we'll be able to win vs UVa with even one half of low-quality ball.
It seems like this team's greatest difficulty right now is consistency: what works one game doesn't seem to carry over to the next, or even from half to half. I wish i could say it didn't seem effort related.
Patient offensive teams seem to have lots of success vs us this year, almost like we just get bored with playing defense after about 25 seconds. Our guards have not had much success forcing turns or just speeding the other team up, so if we allow UVa to shoot well from the floor, it could be a long, low-scoring game. That would bode well for UVa.
If it ends like Vermont and Ga Tech I will be happy. A comeback, a squeaker, a blowout, a triple overtimer- anything that leads to a W. This team needs to win a big game and this is a big game.

arnie
01-12-2014, 10:20 PM
If it ends like Vermont and Ga Tech I will be happy. A comeback, a squeaker, a blowout, a triple overtimer- anything that leads to a W. This team needs to win a big game and this is a big game.

We are a 5.5-6 pt favorite according to Vegas. Sounds familiar - see ND and Clemson lines. I can't remember a more important early ACC game for us.

dyedwab
01-12-2014, 10:20 PM
I wish there weren't a game tomorrow night. For all the suggestions about what we should do differently (give Marshall more minutes, press full court, pull back the defense, play zone, etc.), it strikes me that until we fix the problems between the ears of this team - better communication, understanding positions better, playing through adversity, playing hard for 40 minutes - none of it matters.

I don't think that 2 days is enough time to get the turnaround we need against a good team. Fortunately, Andre and Rodney like the rims at Cameron....

Newton_14
01-12-2014, 10:28 PM

Pre-Game/In-Game thread is now up.

devil84
01-12-2014, 10:29 PM
I don't think that 2 days is enough time to get the turnaround we need against a good team. Fortunately, Andre and Rodney like the rims at Cameron....

Sometimes that's exactly what a team needs. Examine the issues, scout the next team, then play. No time to over-analyze.

OTOH, we may lose again. And then the team works on it/stews about it for a lot longer.

It's exactly the same amount of time a team gets to turn around from a poorly-played win in the tournament -- both the Clemson loss and whatever the outcome of the UVA game is. I'm all for learning these lessons in the regular season so the major kinks are worked out by March.