PDA

View Full Version : PJ Hairston to NBADL

BD80
01-10-2014, 05:56 PM
PJ movin' on up:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24405077/report-pj-hairston-heading-to-the-dleague

Funny thing, he'll be attending the same number of classes in chapel hill:

"I have enrolled in an online course at the University of North Carolina, taking a class in my major that will be applied towards getting my communications degree. I turned in my first assignment yesterday,"

TruBlu
01-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Pay cut.

BD80
01-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Pay cut.

Definitely won't be driving as nice of cars, or the variety

superdave
01-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Here's hoping he remains a productive member of society

FerryFor50
01-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Here's hoping he remains a productive member of society

When did he start?

Furniture
01-10-2014, 10:00 PM
At least the guys have given back with this exhibition game.
http://www.news-record.com/news/local_news/article_c2a9050c-74f1-11e3-9911-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

chaosmage
01-11-2014, 01:49 PM
At least the guys have given back with this exhibition game.
http://www.news-record.com/news/local_news/article_c2a9050c-74f1-11e3-9911-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

It's always been funny to me how the pictures for team rosters get chosen. PJ looks high as a kite in that one. Roy didn't have one somewhere of him not high.. oh.. wait.. forgot.

moving on.

wilson
01-14-2014, 03:21 PM
According to a tweet from the D-League's Texas Legends, PJ Hairston will soon be joining the team.
Apropos of academic fraud and the decay of the "Carolina Way" and all that, I think it's especially rich that the Legends misspelled "guard" in their fancy Twitter pic announcing the news:

UrinalCake
01-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Part of me is hoping he tears up the D-league and becomes a lottery pick, just to further infuriate all the UNC fans 8-)

Of course, after that happens they would still try to take credit for "developing" him.

CDu
01-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Part of me is hoping he tears up the D-league and becomes a lottery pick, just to further infuriate all the UNC fans 8-)

Of course, after that happens they would still try to take credit for "developing" him.

Yeah, Hairston's "development" at UNC really revolved around him playing sparingly and struggling as a frosh and then Williams completely underutilizing him and holding him back for half the season as a soph.

Edouble
01-15-2014, 12:58 PM

I don't know. Is the Duke fanbase infuriated about Miles Plumlee tearing it up in the league?

wilson
01-15-2014, 01:06 PM

Of course, after that happens they would still try to take credit for "developing" him.Nah, they'll just hang a "Would have won the national title but for the witch-hunting NCAA" banner in the Dean Dome.

UrinalCake
01-15-2014, 01:11 PM
I don't know. Is the Duke fanbase infuriated about Miles Plumlee tearing it up in the league?

If Plumlee still had eligibility and could be playing for us right now, except that he threw it away by making stupid decisions, and Coach K enabled further stupid decisions by failing to punish him... then yes I would be infuriated

Gthoma2a
01-15-2014, 01:38 PM
If Plumlee still had eligibility and could be playing for us right now, except that he threw it away by making stupid decisions, and Coach K enabled further stupid decisions by failing to punish him... then yes I would be infuriated

Okay, before we rush to judgement on K's role in this hypothetical, did Coach K make him run and how much? Has he run more than any other player Coach K can remember? That's how you tell whether a player is truly repentent, how willing their are to go through conditioning drills.

I will be using the hypothetical UserID, TrustInK for this hypothetical post.

P.S. IC is killing my brain. I look at it to laugh, but knowing this much about their site and defenses makes me want to cry.

tbyers11
01-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Okay, before we rush to judgement on K's role in this hypothetical, did Coach K make him run and how much? Has he run more than any other player Coach K can remember? That's how you tell whether a player is truly repentent, how willing their are to go through conditioning drills.

I will be using the hypothetical screenname, TrustInK for this hypothetical post.

You forgot "Did the hypothetical Coach K not allow said hypothetical player to decide where the team got to eat dinner?" ;)

Gthoma2a
01-15-2014, 01:47 PM
You forgot "Did the hypothetical Coach K not allow said hypothetical player to decide where the team got to eat dinner?" ;)

I'd like to see Meeks stay in their good graces, because I think with him picking this, 5 times out of 5, he chooses Krispy Kreme.

Tom B.
01-15-2014, 02:12 PM
P.S. IC is killing my brain. I look at it to laugh, but knowing this much about their site and defenses makes me want to cry.

You're in luck. You no longer have to go to IC and sift through all the carnage looking for those golden nuggest of insanity that make IC the truly special place that it is, because someone else is already doing it for you and posting the results on Twitter.

ICMeltdown (https://twitter.com/ICMeltdown)

hudlow
01-15-2014, 03:56 PM
Definitely won't be driving as nice of cars, or the variety

Sensimillia might be for special occasions now....

devildeac
01-19-2014, 10:11 PM
Wonder if PJ saw this BC comic today:

http://www.gocomics.com/bc/2014/01/17#.UtyThtIo7f8

PSurprise
01-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Wonder if PJ saw this BC comic today:

http://www.gocomics.com/bc/2014/01/17#.UtyThtIo7f8

I don't know. Can a 4th grader read it?

Ouch, that was probably a low blow...but it's hard not to pile on nowadays

devildeac
01-20-2014, 08:30 AM
I don't know. Can a 4th grader read it?

Ouch, that was probably a low blow...but it's hard not to pile on nowadays

I've got an extra shovel I can loan you;).

OldPhiKap
01-20-2014, 09:06 AM
When people say that "PJ's lighting it up in the NBADL," there is only a 50% chance they are talking about his on-court performance.

CameronBornAndBred
01-20-2014, 09:09 AM

You might get your wish. In his first game, PJ came off the bench and scored the most of his team in a victory. (22 points, 28 minutes)

In his first game with the Legends, Hairston came off the bench to lead the team in scoring with 22 points while also grabbing 6 steals.
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20140118/AUSTEX/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

UrinalCake
01-31-2014, 04:43 PM
Seriously, if you know any UNC fans, I'd keep them away from tall buildings and bridges.

"Former North Carolina standout P.J. Hairston scored 45 points for the Texas Legends in a 124-115 loss to the Reno Bighorns in NBA Development League action Wednesday night.

Hairston shot 12-for-22 from the floor, including 5-for-10 from 3-point range, and 16-for-16 from the line. He had three rebounds, three steals and no assists in 38-plus minutes."

http://m.fayobserver.com/blogs/sports/acc_basketball/article_bc0470be-8979-11e3-a8c7-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

flyingdutchdevil
01-31-2014, 04:52 PM
Seriously, if you know any UNC fans, I'd keep them away from tall buildings and bridges.

"Former North Carolina standout P.J. Hairston scored 45 points for the Texas Legends in a 124-115 loss to the Reno Bighorns in NBA Development League action Wednesday night.

Hairston shot 12-for-22 from the floor, including 5-for-10 from 3-point range, and 16-for-16 from the line. He had three rebounds, three steals and no assists in 38-plus minutes."

http://m.fayobserver.com/blogs/sports/acc_basketball/article_bc0470be-8979-11e3-a8c7-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

Gems from IC:

"I just threw up in my mouth."

"Yeah I dont feel better after reading that about PJ. May have been the best offensive player in college"

"I know PJ made some mistakes, but after the Chris Walker case I'm furious at the the NCAA for it's completely arbitrary punishment regime and angry at UNC for not pursuing reinstatement. Apply and at least make the NCAA say no.

I hope PJ ends up an NBA all star and that he credits Roy for sticking with him and providing tough love to get him back on track.

PJ would be all ACC if not ACC POY and Carolina would be as good as anybody in this league.

I hope we beat State by 50 and James Manor hits a 3 with 1 second left on the game clock."

And my favorite:

"Harden is a good comparison., Ive compared pj to jr smith without the head case issues smith has"

Isn't PJ already a head case, given his off-season shenanigans?

OldPhiKap
01-31-2014, 04:59 PM

To be fair, he should credit Roy for the conditioning regimen he completed the last three months.

And yeah, Carolina would have been a damn dangerous team had PJ not imploded.

FerryFor50
01-31-2014, 05:12 PM
You might get your wish. In his first game, PJ came off the bench and scored the most of his team in a victory. (22 points, 28 minutes)

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20140118/AUSTEX/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

PJ Hairston: what (Texas) Legends are made of.

Henderson
01-31-2014, 05:39 PM
Hey, I don't hold any ill feelings toward P.J. He's a kid who made stupid kid mistakes. Stupid stupid stupid. And he deserves all the razzing he's gotten. But if he picks himself up, dusts himself off, and learns from this, becoming a responsible adult, I wish him well in his basketball career. He didn't do so well in that regard this past year, but he was still a kid. When I hear that, as a pro, he did something stupid like getting into a brawl outside a "nightclub", has other gun issues, drug issues, or whatnot, well then.... he's off my Christmas card list.

The P.J. story isn't so much about what an immature young man did to demonstrate his immaturity as a college undergraduate as it is about how Roy, Bubba, and the administration (all adults who should have known better) failed to address the issue. It's less personal than institutional, especially in light of other cultural issues at Carolina much discussed here.