PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker is becoming a Player

tommy
01-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Don't look now, but UCLA's Tony Parker, he of the interminably long college decision announcement, is showing some real improvement, and is becoming an important player for the Bruins.

I was at the game at Pauley last night against Arizona, one in which the Bruins clawed back from a 13 point deficit late in the second half to take a lead with about two minutes to go, before the Wildcats prevailed down the stretch. (side note: Arizona has improved since we played them. They have all the bases covered in terms of players and positions, they play hard and play unselfishly, and I think an awful lot of Sean Miller as a a coach. He's excellent.)

Anyway, Parker scored 10 points and grabbed 8 rebounds, 5 of which were offensive, in only 21 minutes of action -- playing against the tall trees of Arizona, Tarczewski and Ashley. Parker had little help in terms of big guys on UCLA, as we know from playing them, as the Wears don't mix it up much inside. Parker provided inside presence, demonstrated good hands and the ability to finish, and he fought for position and for the ball. Big change for him this year is that he lost a lot of weight -- we could see that in the Duke game -- but now he's showing skills and desire, along with the increased mobility. His facial expressions still make it appear that he's unemotional and even bored, but the results don't.

He only played 10 minutes in the previous game, but that's because it was a blowout of huge proportions over USC. In the two games prior to that, he went for 15 and 5 against Weber State and then 16 and 5 against Alabama, on combined 13 of 18 shooting. I was at the Alabama game as well, and Parker was the difference between winning and losing that game for the Bruins.

Parker still hasn't moved into the starting lineup, but I for one won't be suprised if Steve Alford makes that move soon. He should, because I think the kid has earned it, and the Bruins are a better team when he's on the floor.

I don't like saying it, because I hate how he handled his recruitment and how he disrespected Duke and Coach K in particular, but I'm calling it the way I'm seeing it. He's not going to be much of a pro, because he's not athletic enough, plays below the rim at 6'9", etc., but Parker appears to be developing into a solid high-major college player.

roywhite
01-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Thanks for your observations, tommy. I watched some of the game on TV, and had the same positive impression of Parker and his improvement.

Not sure what to think exactly about Arizona; they seem to have all the elements including size, talent, and coaching, and may well be the best team in the country. But they seem beatable; a lesser team in UCLA almost beat them last night.

freshmanjs
01-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Thanks for your observations, tommy. I watched some of the game on TV, and had the same positive impression of Parker and his improvement.

Not sure what to think exactly about Arizona; they seem to have all the elements including size, talent, and coaching, and may well be the best team in the country. But they seem beatable; a lesser team in UCLA almost beat them last night.

of course they are beatable. there are no unbeatable teams in college basketball this year, just like there haven't been any for the last almost 40 years.

roywhite
01-10-2014, 12:15 PM
of course they are beatable. there are no unbeatable teams in college basketball this year, just like there haven't been any for the last almost 40 years.

Well, true enough. There have been some teams over the last 25 years that did seem like a cut above the competition, and strong favorites to win it all:

2012 Kentucky
2009 UNC
2007 Florida
1996 Kentucky
1992 Duke

I'm not seeing Arizona as being that type of team. It's hard to find an obvious weakness for Arizona, but they seem not quite overwhelming, and I doubt they go all the way.
Just my opinion.

Reisen
01-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Well, true enough. There have been some teams over the last 25 years that did seem like a cut above the competition, and strong favorites to win it all:

2012 Kentucky
2009 UNC
2007 Florida
1996 Kentucky
1992 Duke

I'm not seeing Arizona as being that type of team. It's hard to find an obvious weakness for Arizona, but they seem not quite overwhelming, and I doubt they go all the way.
Just my opinion.

Uhh, no 1999 Duke? That team was way more dominant than the first 3 teams you mentioned.

roywhite
01-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Uhh, no 1999 Duke? That team was way more dominant than the first 3 teams you mentioned.

Yeah, fair enough. And probably add UNLV 1991 as a dominant team that didn't win it all; those examples point out the risks of a single elimination tournament.
That was a very good UConn team that beat us in 1999.

Sorry to steal Tony Parker's thread, but he earned it with his endless college choice presser.

Ichabod Drain
01-10-2014, 12:44 PM
I know the Wear twins will be gone but UCLA is bringing in four big men next year. Should be interesting to see if he can take a major roll.

Saratoga2
01-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Nice arc and a soft touch. Like our big men to improve their shots too be close to what Parker can do.

tommy
01-10-2014, 01:27 PM

Oh, I agree. They're not unbeatable. Heck, they had an extremely close call at Michigan, both Drexel and UNLV played them tight in Tucson earlier in the year, and just last week Washington gave them real trouble, also in Tucson. But I think they're the best team in the land right now.

bob blue devil
01-10-2014, 01:31 PM
...Should be interesting to see if he can take a major roll.

I believe he prefers cinnamon and is not shy about taking them.

Ichabod Drain
01-10-2014, 01:32 PM

AHHHHH dangit... good one

Edouble
01-11-2014, 01:15 PM

Hmmm, well he is from Georgia, so I suspect he likes a regular roll with a bit of red eye gravy.

Seriously though, that was hilarious. Just wanted to say so, as I couldn't spork you.

1999ballboy
01-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Good thing he went to a school that develops big men :rolleyes:

subzero02
01-11-2014, 02:53 PM

2012 Kentucky
2009 UNC
2007 Florida
1996 Kentucky
1992 Duke

Just my opinion.

I would toss in 91 UNLV... 99 Duke... 00 Cinci( before the Kenyon Martin injury) and 2003 Kentucky (before the Keith Bogans injury)...
The lack of any truly elite teams this year is striking

CameronBornAndBred
01-21-2014, 01:15 PM
I know the Wear twins will be gone but UCLA is bringing in four big men next year. Should be interesting to see if he can take a major roll.
Found this little jem posted by Seth Davis. (Also good stuff about Duke's platoon rotation in the writeup.)

I don't know about you, but I've got room for both Wear twins on my all-disappointment team.
:D
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140120/hoop-thoughts-bruce-pearl-richard-pitino-wichita-state/#ixzz2r3fKDkcw

CSIMON87
01-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Not to rag on the Wear's, but it has to be frustrating, to the fan base, to watch two 5th year seniors not perform at a level their recruiting rankings suggested.

When you watch them you can tell they are skilled for their size.

Also, in regards to Tony Parker I still think he will be a quality big man, potential all-conference, in college. He is only a sophomore...

However, I'm not dissapointed we didn't receive his commitment. I enjoy watching Amile!

Newton_14
01-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Not to rag on the Wear's, but it has to be frustrating, to the fan base, to watch two 5th year seniors not perform at a level their recruiting rankings suggested.

When you watch them you can tell they are skilled for their size.

Also, in regards to Tony Parker I still think he will be a quality big man, potential all-conference, in college. He is only a sophomore...

However, I'm not dissapointed we didn't receive his commitment. I enjoy watching Amile!

Since day one I have always felt D Wear was the better player by a wide margin. He has a great shooting stroke for a kid that size. T Wear has just never impressed me. Neither of them are good defenders though, and both are soft.

tommy
01-24-2014, 11:45 AM
Parker scored a career-high 22 points (on 9 of 14 shooting) and grabbed 7 rebounds in 28 minutes off the bench, leading UCLA to a 17 point win over Johnny's Stanford squad last night. The Wear brothers got only 12 and 15 minutes.