PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering -- Who is the Logical Successor to Roy?

sagegrouse
01-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Suppose the accumulated angst from the coach down the road culiminates in his voluntary resignation or his involuntary departure via a nervous breakdown. Who are the logical candidates to succeed him?

Matches
01-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Unless they make a major break from their past behavior, they'll stay within the "family", which probably means Hubert Davis. I'm assuming Roy coaches another 3-4 years. I don't think they'd go the George Karl route, and there aren't a lot of strong candidates on their coaching tree.

The smart thing for them to do probably would be to go outside the family - that's one of the top 5 jobs in mens' BB, and they certainly could get an a-lister. Sean Miller, Shaka Smart, maybe even Brad Stevens if the NBA doesn't work out.

Billy Dat
01-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Unless they make a major break from their past behavior, they'll stay within the "family", which probably means Hubert Davis. I'm assuming Roy coaches another 3-4 years. I don't think they'd go the George Karl route, and there aren't a lot of strong candidates on their coaching tree.

The smart thing for them to do probably would be to go outside the family - that's one of the top 5 jobs in mens' BB, and they certainly could get an a-lister. Sean Miller, Shaka Smart, maybe even Brad Stevens if the NBA doesn't work out.

What about the current 73 year old coach of SMU?

hurleyfor3
01-09-2014, 01:02 PM
I question the assumption that unc people can be expected to behave logically.

devildeac
01-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Think they'd bring d'oh back for another ride?:rolleyes::o

MChambers
01-09-2014, 01:08 PM
What about his predecessor?

GGLC
01-09-2014, 01:10 PM
No consideration of Buzz Peterson or Jeff Lebo?

plimnko
01-09-2014, 01:12 PM
how about barney?? would work for their reading level

flyingdutchdevil
01-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Wow - that is a very weak coaching tree: http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=209339872

Matches
01-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Wow - that is a very weak coaching tree: http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=209339872

Holy crap - King Rice is a coach?!?!?

Well now I know who I want them to pick.....

wilko
01-09-2014, 01:21 PM
With Petrino being re-hired anything is possible... He should be Bubba's 1st and only call...

wsb3
01-09-2014, 01:27 PM
No consideration of Buzz Peterson or Jeff Lebo?

Don't see it. Peterson got way more $ here at UNCW than anyone previous. People were scratching their heads about how he was going to be paid. Nearly double I believe in salary to anyone previous and that includes Brad Brownell.

And he has done little to turn things around

arnie
01-09-2014, 01:34 PM

Maktar, Doherty, PJ in that order. Or hire all 3 to develop a new tree with branches.

OldPhiKap
01-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Tark. Sounds like his kind of program.

hurleyfor3
01-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Tark. Sounds like his kind of program.

Jim Harrick? Plenty of experience addressing the academic needs of basketball players.

royalblue
01-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Well I think someone that has some Matt Doh some Roy some Larry and some Dean? You say who would this be? Rasheed Wallace seems like he would be the perfect fit:) I'm sure with others like King Rice, Maktar and Danny Green the asst coaches would be covered well and we could look for a redo of 2002 8-20 lives forever

lotusland
01-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Well I think someone that has some Matt Doh some Roy some Larry and some Dean? You say who would this be? Rasheed Wallace seems like he would be the perfect fit:) I'm sure with others like King Rice, Maktar and Danny Green the asst coaches would be covered well and we could look for a redo of 2002 8-20 lives forever

Prolly Wojo. Their bigs need someone who can coach 'em up.

chaosmage
01-09-2014, 02:04 PM

I'd pay money to see Rasheed coach. He'd better have some nice assistants, cuz he'll get ejected after the first two personal fouls.

throatybeard
01-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Who is the Logical Successor to Roy?

OldSchool
01-09-2014, 02:11 PM

The problem is, Barney is more of a slow-paced, half-court kind of guy so might not fit the Carolina philosophy

Duvall
01-09-2014, 02:15 PM
The weakness of the in-family options suggests that this may be the time that UNC finally looks at outside candidates, especially since the athletic director and the chancellor don't have much in the way of Carolina ties. So we should probably just assume that UNC will get the top coach available, whoever that is.

nmduke2001
01-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Greg Paulus - so everyone on this board will finally be on the same side of the Paulus debate.

royalblue
01-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Lets at least hope it's the best non Duke coach Aval because if we went down that road the 18 wheeler should just run me over.

Henderson
01-09-2014, 02:25 PM
How about Fats? He's familiar with the program and seems to get along well with the players.

BlueDevilBrowns
01-09-2014, 02:40 PM
How about Fats? He's familiar with the program and seems to get along well with the players.

Well, he could certainly teach them how to drive, (puff, puff)pass, and shoot.

oldnavy
01-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Jerod Haase is a name I hear from some UNC faithful. More of a KU tie, but there has always been a UNC/KU association.... so it wouldn't be that big of a stretch.

superdave
01-09-2014, 03:12 PM

I assumed when Davis came to UNC that it was for the express purpose of grooming Roy's successor. I do not know that much about what Davis has been doing since he has been there. It will be interesting to see how he is on the recruiting trail. I would think he's a good choice, except for that whole head coaching experience thing.

JasonEvans
01-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Jerod Haase is a name I hear from some UNC faithful. More of a KU tie, but there has always been a UNC/KU association.... so it wouldn't be that big of a stretch.

Haase was on Roy's staff at KU and came over to UNC with him in 2003. He was an assistant at UNC for almost a decade before taking the UAB job. The Blazers seem much improved this year over last season and would appear to be one of the top 4 or 5 contenders in the C-USA. Still, if Roy's successor is needed in the next year or two, I think Haase would probably not yet have the pedigree or results to merit serious consideration.

-Jason "when Roy does step aside, I bet they look to any number of big-name coaches. I could see Donovan as a major contender for the job" Evans

OldPhiKap
01-09-2014, 03:43 PM

I don't think Barney would work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4krdOhpwME

jv001
01-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Brad Daughtery(sp?) if they can get him away from NASCAR. GoDuke!

Gthoma2a
01-09-2014, 03:48 PM

Going with a young up and comer, I like your style!

Gthoma2a
01-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Greg Paulus - so everyone on this board will finally be on the same side of the Paulus debate.

Not gonna lie... I did get upset when I saw this (I can only hope it was photoshopped or something).

Gthoma2a
01-09-2014, 03:59 PM
The problem is, Barney is more of a slow-paced, half-court kind of guy so might not fit the Carolina philosophy

Carolina athletics have never been much on philosophy. That's one of the classes you had to show up to.

MPandolfi
01-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Not gonna lie... I did get upset when I saw this (I can only hope it was photoshopped or something).

From what I recall a guy on IC was actually at the game where the picture took place, and witnessed it. He said Hansborough held the baby first and got his picture taken before Greg did the same.

Gthoma2a
01-09-2014, 04:13 PM
From what I recall a guy on IC was actually at the game where the picture took place, and witnessed it. He said Hansborough held the baby first and got his picture taken before Greg did the same.

I understand holding the baby, even, but why in the hell is a guy who was once seen as a floor-general (whether he lived up to it is debatable; regardless of my emotions about his play at any moment, I always appreciated his heart) for Duke wearing a UNC shirt?!

TexHawk
01-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Suppose the accumulated angst from the coach down the road culiminates in his voluntary resignation or his involuntary departure via a nervous breakdown. Who are the logical candidates to succeed him?

I think the question is invalid. Outside of a health issue, IMO Roy won't leave until there is a legitimate "in family" candidate. I think he would have left after his 2nd title if there was a suitable option.

This was always an undercurrent when the Doh/Roy/Self thing went down 11 years ago. Roy was *not* long for KU. Not that he would have left for another job not named UNC (although UCLA was rumored), I think he would have retired within 4-5 years if he had stayed. He hated the administration for getting rid of his AD buddy Bob Frederick. Frederick was a nice guy that also destroyed several athletic programs, including men's and women's swimming/diving, and never seriously tried to field a football team. Roy loved that, he was always the center of attention. Roy hated the new AD because he wasn't Bob, he was constantly annoyed with recruiting "out there", and he hilariously went on a tirade about internet fandom, calling phog.net "crap.net".

If you look at it through that lens, we (KU) feel we made out swimmingly. Not only is Bill Self a great coach, but he loves KU and the Midwest. If Roy had turned down UNC again, then retired in 2007, would Self want to leave Illinois at that point? Debatable. (Don't get me wrong, we were destroyed when Roy left, but the hindsight is interesting.)

Btw... Haase is dead to me, he would never be considered for a job within 1000 miles of Lawrence, so if he has some success, UNC can have him and I will yawn.

Kfanarmy
01-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Anyone connected to him well enough to confirm the pic?

wk2109
01-09-2014, 04:22 PM
I understand holding the baby, even, but why in the hell is a guy who was once seen as a floor-general (whether he lived up to it is debatable; regardless of my emotions about his play at any moment, I always appreciated his heart) for Duke wearing a UNC shirt?!

Greg's brother Mike played football at UNC before transferring. That's a possible explanation.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/brother-of-greg-paulus-transferring-from-heels/

moonpie23
01-09-2014, 04:25 PM
y'all are gonna spit up your froot loops, but it's going to be Brad Stevens……by the time ol roy has had enough, brad will have "had enough" of the pros…..

who better to clean out that damaged outhouse and start bringing back the dean smith legacy of coaching..???????

i'll make a copy of this post……just for posterior …

DukeWarhead
01-09-2014, 04:33 PM

Wasn't it determined that Greg was wearing one of those NC Barnstorming Bball event shirts? I think the one for that year was the vomitous blue.

Gthoma2a
01-09-2014, 04:33 PM
y'all are gonna spit up your froot loops, but it's going to be Brad Stevens……by the time ol roy has had enough, brad will have "had enough" of the pros…..

who better to clean out that damaged outhouse and start bringing back the dean smith legacy of coaching..???????

I refuse to believe this. I once saw a little young K in Stevens.

DukeWarhead
01-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Wasn't it determined that Greg was wearing one of those NC Barnstorming Bball event shirts? I think the one for that year was the vomitous blue.

Yes. Give him a break. You can see the baby can't stand the jersey either.
http://sportscracklepop.com/2009/04/28/greg-paulus-refuses-to-let-us-forget-him/

-bdbd
01-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Why not Lebo?? Weren't we all sufficiently impressed from the ECU game?

DukeWarhead
01-09-2014, 04:38 PM
If he's still at VCU, UNC will be the school that finally rips Shaka Smart away, showing that his surname is not warranted. :cool:

-bdbd
01-09-2014, 04:39 PM
I refuse to believe this. I once saw a little young K in Stevens.

EVERY major program in the country has fans who, in the last five years, have invisioned Stevens as their next probable coach!

Gthoma2a
01-09-2014, 04:41 PM
They need someone with name recognition and mediocre ability. They can't beat Rick Barnes, so why not hire him?

JasonEvans
01-09-2014, 09:08 PM

Posterity. Posterior is, ummm, not the same thing ;)

moonpie23
01-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Posterity. Posterior is, ummm, not the same thing ;)

i can't believe you fell for that…...:rolleyes:

Reilly
01-09-2014, 11:28 PM
David Greene

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Break_(film)

weezie
01-09-2014, 11:34 PM
If he's still at VCU, UNC will be the school that finally rips Shaka Smart away....:

Now, you are definitely scaring me. Please don't let this happen! :eek:

lotusland
01-10-2014, 06:27 AM
I think the question is invalid. Outside of a health issue, IMO Roy won't leave until there is a legitimate "in family" candidate. I think he would have left after his 2nd title if there was a suitable option.

This was always an undercurrent when the Doh/Roy/Self thing went down 11 years ago. Roy was *not* long for KU. Not that he would have left for another job not named UNC (although UCLA was rumored), I think he would have retired within 4-5 years if he had stayed. He hated the administration for getting rid of his AD buddy Bob Frederick. Frederick was a nice guy that also destroyed several athletic programs, including men's and women's swimming/diving, and never seriously tried to field a football team. Roy loved that, he was always the center of attention. Roy hated the new AD because he wasn't Bob, he was constantly annoyed with recruiting "out there", and he hilariously went on a tirade about internet fandom, calling phog.net "crap.net".

If you look at it through that lens, we (KU) feel we made out swimmingly. Not only is Bill Self a great coach, but he loves KU and the Midwest. If Roy had turned down UNC again, then retired in 2007, would Self want to leave Illinois at that point? Debatable. (Don't get me wrong, we were destroyed when Roy left, but the hindsight is interesting.)

Btw... Haase is dead to me, he would never be considered for a job within 1000 miles of Lawrence, so if he has some success, UNC can have him and I will yawn.

thanks texhawk, always enjoy your take on things. Why is Haas dead to you?

one thing I've learned from Gary parish and his eye on college basket ball podcast is that self is nice guy and really down to earth. The other thing I've learned is that apparently everyone is cheating.

SupaDave
01-10-2014, 10:13 AM
They need someone with name recognition and mediocre ability. They can't beat Rick Barnes, so why not hire him?

I'm gonna let the cat out of the bag - it's gonna be Phil Ford with Joseph Forte and Jeff Mcinnis as assistants. Put that in your posterior! lol!

TexHawk
01-10-2014, 10:15 AM
thanks texhawk, always enjoy your take on things. Why is Haas dead to you?

Haase and CB McGrath (both former KU players) got on the plane with Roy while the entire KU fanbase was having their collective heart stomped on. Like I said, it worked out swimmingly for us in the end, but those few weeks were awful, especially since Dean Smith (another former KU player) orchestrated all of it while KU was playing for the national title.

I don't begrudge Haase for following his coach, he probably would not have had a job under the next coach, but I think he could have handled it better. Specifically, don't get on the plane and laugh it up with your new pals in Chapel Hill while your alma mater is in tears. Wait a few weeks, let KU find a replacement, then drop a press release saying you are joining Roy at UNC.

Des Esseintes
01-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Why not Lebo?? Weren't we all sufficiently impressed from the ECU game?

Not sure if you intended this as sarcasm. Lebo is a bad coach, and works at ECU only because he failed at better jobs. One game against Duke, which he was never in great danger of winning, offers little vouchsafing of ability.

Reilly
01-10-2014, 11:05 AM
I'm gonna let the cat out of the bag - it's gonna be Phil Ford with Joseph Forte and Jeff Mcinnis as assistants. Put that in your posterior! lol!

And in a real rekindling of The Carolina Way, Rasheed will be team manager in charge of tracking technical fouls, Makhtar N'Diaye will be named director of community relations, PJ will drive the team bus and provide security, and Will Graves will be in charge of Dean Dome landscaping. Donnie Walsh and Larry Brown will oversee conditioning with a focus on boxing. Hanstravel won't have a job, but will hang around playing naked ping pong nonetheless. #ScumComeHome .... McCants will just pout about being left out of all the fun ...

sagegrouse
01-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Not sure if you intended this as sarcasm. Lebo is a bad coach, and works at ECU only because he failed at better jobs. One game against Duke, which he was never in great danger of winning, offers little vouchsafing of ability.

Sounds fully qualified for UNC from my point of view

DU82
01-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Holy crap - King Rice is a coach?!?!?

Well now I know who I want them to pick.....

Second or third year at Monmouth. My nephew, who is an alum, told me he wants out, would take an assistant's job elsewhere. Not a great job, and he's not doing very well anyway.

As I told my nephew when he was hired, "King Rice, he sucks, he really, really sucks!

So, let's welcome him to Chapel Hill. :-)

Henderson
01-10-2014, 12:04 PM

I'm not sure what makes a bad coach, but I certainly agree that Lebo has been an unsuccessful coach. We covered this in the pre-game thread for ECU. He prepared his team well for Duke. But look at his record. Res ipsa loquitur.

oldnavy
01-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Second or third year at Monmouth. My nephew, who is an alum, told me he wants out, would take an assistant's job elsewhere. Not a great job, and he's not doing very well anyway.

As I told my nephew when he was hired, "King Rice, he sucks, he really, really sucks!

So, let's welcome him to Chapel Hill. :-)

Except when he played Duke it seemed. Am I remembering wrong (wouldn't be a first) but didn't King Rice have really good games against us and mediocre games against others?

That's the way I remember it without going back and pulling stats...

Some of you old timers with better recall help me out.

SupaDave
01-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Except when he played Duke it seemed. Am I remembering wrong (wouldn't be a first) but didn't King Rice have really good games against us and mediocre games against others?

That's the way I remember it without going back and pulling stats...

Some of you old timers with better recall help me out.

He was too physical for Hurley.

Duvall
01-10-2014, 02:18 PM
y'all are gonna spit up your froot loops, but it's going to be Brad Stevens……by the time ol roy has had enough, brad will have "had enough" of the pros….

I doubt Stevens ever comes back to college coaching. Well, unless he flops with the Celtics. But he seems like the type to enjoy the challenge of coaching the game at its highest level.

Dukehky
01-10-2014, 03:42 PM
I think that the Brad Stevens idea is a lot like Texas trying to get Jim Harbough. UNC is going to shoot for Stevens or the like, and end up with somebody more along the lines of Hubert Davis or Jason Capel. Okay, that's probably just wishful thinking.

I've been holding out a little bit for Stevens for us... Love the in house guys, but Brad Stevens is incredible.

brevity
01-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Interesting thread. Even the most die-hard and delusional UNC fans will admit that Roy Williams can't coach forever. (To them, Dean Smith is immortal, but not Roy.)

I doubt Stevens ever comes back to college coaching. Well, unless he flops with the Celtics. But he seems like the type to enjoy the challenge of coaching the game at its highest level.

So, Duke?

I recall Mike & Mike having this discussion: is "the highest level" in college or in the pros? For players, there's no question -- it's the pros. For coaches, they decided it was also the pros (with Golic firm and Greenberg gradually convinced), but I'm not so sure.

In football, the most plum job is NFL head coach. His team only plays a few more games than a college team would. Generally, the pay is better, and there's no recruiting and much less oversight of players. The league's parity (both real and perceived) usually gives him a few years to prove himself. He gets a ton of exposure, even if he has the personality of a self-adhesive envelope. College head coaches are big fish in a small pond. NFL head coaches are big fish in a big pond.

In men's basketball, I would say the most plum job is head coach of a major college program ("major" as in money and TV exposure, with a history of success being a secondary factor). His team plays and travels a LOT less than in the NBA. Generally, the NBA pays more, but the highest paid college coaches probably aren't paid that much less. Recruiting is a year-round concern, and player oversight can be a hassle, but it's still probably less work overall. I imagine college coaches enjoy more job security, and are seen as the face of a program much more than a coach is the face of a franchise. College head coaches are big fish in a small pond. NBA head coaches are small fish in a big pond.

Those that disagree will argue that coaching men's basketball at the highest level must mean that you coach the highest caliber of player, which would be the NBA. But I don't think the two are related. For me, "the highest level" is one that maximizes your influence over others -- players, media, fans -- as you place yourself as close to the peak of coaching as you can. It's the job that best develops and maintains your brand, whether you wanted to cultivate one or not.

SupaDave
01-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Those that disagree will argue that coaching men's basketball at the highest level must mean that you coach the highest caliber of player, which would be the NBA. But I don't think the two are related. For me, "the highest level" is one that maximizes your influence over others -- players, media, fans -- as you place yourself as close to the peak of coaching as you can. It's the job that best develops and maintains your brand, whether you wanted to cultivate one or not.

The NBA shares the spotlight with NO ONE in May and June. College basketball starts off overshadowed by football and aside from March Madness, shares big time with the NBA at night.

The NBA has a fan base that includes China - hard to get more exposure than that. Dennis Rodman isn't in N. Korea b/c he lit it up at Cooke County College.

ricks68
01-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Elian Gonzalez

(I am betting that he won't turn the job down a second time.);)

ricks

devildeac
01-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Elian Gonzalez

(I am betting that he won't turn the job down a second time.);)

ricks

I've still got that t-shirt. It's pretty tattered and I never wear it anymore but still makes me chuckle just a bit.

ricks68
01-10-2014, 08:30 PM
I've still got that t-shirt. It's pretty tattered and I never wear it anymore but still makes me chuckle just a bit.

Mine is a bit small.

ricks

MChambers
01-10-2014, 08:36 PM
The "I Said No to Dean" shirt? Mine would still fit, if I could find it.

sagegrouse
01-10-2014, 09:08 PM
So, Duke?

I recall Mike & Mike having this discussion: is "the highest level" in college or in the pros? For players, there's no question -- it's the pros. For coaches, they decided it was also the pros (with Golic firm and Greenberg gradually convinced), but I'm not so sure.

In men's basketball, I would say the most plum job is head coach of a major college program ("major" as in money and TV exposure, with a history of success being a secondary factor). His team plays and travels a LOT less than in the NBA. Generally, the NBA pays more, but the highest paid college coaches probably aren't paid that much less. Recruiting is a year-round concern, and player oversight can be a hassle, but it's still probably less work overall. I imagine college coaches enjoy more job security, and are seen as the face of a program much more than a coach is the face of a franchise. College head coaches are big fish in a small pond. NBA head coaches are small fish in a big pond.

The NBA shares the spotlight with NO ONE in May and June. College basketball starts off overshadowed by football and aside from March Madness, shares big time with the NBA at night.

The NBA has a fan base that includes China - hard to get more exposure than that. Dennis Rodman isn't in N. Korea b/c he lit it up at Cooke County College.

Here is a list of the top college coaches today:

K
Roy
Izzo
Calipari
Pitino
Self
Donovan
Matta

Here is a list of the top NBA coaches today:

Popovich
Rivers
Spoelstra
McHale (but not really as a coach)
Carlisle, Mike Brown, Edelman, Mo Cheeks, D'Antoni

I think it is easier to build a brand in college than in the NBA. So few guys there achieve the tenure of the top college coaches.

77devil
01-10-2014, 09:36 PM

Dennis Rodman never lit it up period, except for a doobie.

devildeac
01-10-2014, 10:53 PM
The "I Said No to Dean" shirt? Mine would still fit, if I could find it.

That's the one.

JayBean
01-10-2014, 11:17 PM
I think that the Brad Stevens idea is a lot like Texas trying to get Jim Harbough. UNC is going to shoot for Stevens or the like, and end up with somebody more along the lines of Hubert Davis or Jason Capel. Okay, that's probably just wishful thinking.

I've been holding out a little bit for Stevens for us... Love the in house guys, but Brad Stevens is incredible.

If they are going outside the family, why not Calipari?

Unless he doesn't want to tarnish his image.

g-money
01-11-2014, 12:09 AM
Here is a list of the top college coaches today:

K
Roy
Izzo
Calipari
Pitino
Self
Donovan
Matta

Sage, I hate to pick nits here, but wouldn't Boeheim be on that list?

Re: the UNC coaching search, would Sean May or Rashad McCants be available?

sagegrouse
01-11-2014, 12:23 AM

Re: the UNC coaching search, would Sean May or Rashad McCants be available?

Thanks -- it was done hurriedly. The point is that the coaches in college who have been very successful have a better deal than the NBA coaches -- much greater longevity, a lot more control of their lives and future, and, therefore, higher personal wealth in the long-run. Also, college presidents are not as powerful as franchise owners -- tee-hee.

The obvious exceptions in the NBA with immense longevity and power are the obvious exceptions -- Red and Phil.

Indoor66
01-11-2014, 07:09 AM
The obvious exceptions in the NBA with immense longevity and power are the obvious exceptions -- Red and Phil.

It is amazing how incredible success breeds incredible longevity. Doesn't matter at what level - look at Wooten and Hurley at the high school level, as well.

53n206
01-11-2014, 08:09 AM
Logical succesor? Would have to come down from above.

duke96
01-11-2014, 08:23 AM
May consider Adam Sandler or Burt Reynolds based on their experience coaching criminals.

devildeac
01-11-2014, 08:43 AM
Did this also receive consideration when it was time to hire Dean's successor?

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100921010407/simpsons/images/thumb/8/8f/Carbonrod.png/250px-Carbonrod.png

http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121216011743/simpsons/images/thumb/c/c8/FUEL_ROD.jpg/230px-FUEL_ROD.jpg

PSurprise
01-11-2014, 03:10 PM
I think the goal of any coach, looking at these posts , is to just get people to recognize you by your first name, maybe other than Calipari and a few others. That's why I don't think Thad is quite there yet... :)

weezie
01-11-2014, 09:32 PM

Yes, absolutely. I think Sean Miller will be knocking, soon, too.

gocanes0506
01-12-2014, 09:27 AM

What better job did he fail? Was it Tennessee Tech, Chattanooga, or Auburn? Auburn is a terrible job. Despite the millions their athletic department makes the football program gets it all.

I dont think Lebo will be chosen. He considers himself a program builder (which he has a done a great job of at ECU) and he hasnt had big program experience. But he is a far from a terrible coach.

miramar
01-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Hubert Davis?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10293501&categoryid=2378529

If so we could hire Jay Bilas so the Duke Boy could take revenge for all that abuse he took at the UNC cafeteria.

CameronBornAndBred
01-15-2014, 07:47 PM
A few have posted Davis' name. Has he ever been a coach before this year? (A quick Google check shows "no".)
Why would an elite program put their faith in a guy that has had a longer career as an analyst than a coach? I know it is Carolina, but still.

miramar
01-16-2014, 09:14 AM
A few have posted Davis' name. Has he ever been a coach before this year? (A quick Google check shows "no".)
Why would an elite program put their faith in a guy that has had a longer career as an analyst than a coach? I know it is Carolina, but still.

The only guy that has worked for is Pat Riley, who was a Laker color man before becoming an assistant and then an accidental head coach when Jack McKinney fell while bike riding and sustained some pretty serious injuries. But we all know that Hubert Davis is no Pat Riley. In fact, Davis and James Michael McAdoo are not even the best UNC players in their respective families.

JBDuke
01-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Thanks -- it was done hurriedly. The point is that the coaches in college who have been very successful have a better deal than the NBA coaches -- much greater longevity, a lot more control of their lives and future, and, therefore, higher personal wealth in the long-run. Also, college presidents are not as powerful as franchise owners -- tee-hee.

Auerbach and Jackson are probably the gold standards, but I'd add Jerry Sloan and Gregg Popovich to that list of NBA coaches with immense longevity and power.

Des Esseintes
01-16-2014, 11:28 AM
What better job did he fail? Was it Tennessee Tech, Chattanooga, or Auburn? Auburn is a terrible job. Despite the millions their athletic department makes the football program gets it all.

I dont think Lebo will be chosen. He considers himself a program builder (which he has a done a great job of at ECU) and he hasnt had big program experience. But he is a far from a terrible coach.

Auburn is a better job than ECU. Lebo's successor at Auburn got paid $1.5 million a year. Lebo makes $560,000 at ECU.

And that's great that Lebo considers himself a program builder and all, but do you know what his NCAA tourney record is? Trick question! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Lebo) In a FIFTEEN-YEAR head coaching career he has never made the NCAA tournament. He has only made the NIT twice. The last time one of his teams finished first in its conference standings was 2002. The guy is obviously a better basketball coach than, say, me, but he's been failing upwards for a decade and a half now.