PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at Clemson - Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
01-09-2014, 03:00 AM
Put your pre-game and in-game thoughts here.

The game is at Clemson at 2 pm this Saturday, January 11th. Looks like it will be broadcast on the "ACC Network", which means regional Fox Sports networks for most of us. It'll also be available on ESPN3.

Here's the list of RSN affiliates for the game: http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/RSN-Affiliates-for-ACCMBB-Duke-at-Clemson_01-07-14_5nq48q

MChambers
01-09-2014, 07:27 AM
Clemson's stats are interesting: 33 overall in Pomeroy, with the 7th best defense and the 143rd best offense. Add to that a tempo ranked 348 and you have the possibility of a game that will be less enjoyable than a trip to the dentist (apologies to any dentists here).

Interestingly, Clemson's stats are quite similar to Virginia's, our next opponent after Clemson.

Matches
01-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Clemson is very good on defense, terrible on offense.

When they have the ball, we may well learn what happens when a resistible force meets a movable object.

Hopefully the message has sunk in with this team that no ACC road game can be taken for granted. Clemson is not great but they're not bad either, and they will have a fired-up crowd behind them. We will need to bring it in order to win. It would surely be nice for Jabari to return to form here - even a good defense can be cracked by an elite offensive player.

awhom111
01-09-2014, 09:35 PM
I know I usually start these threads with a link to a list of stations, but the ACC website is being uncharacteristically slow at posting this and I thought it might be a good idea to give people a heads up since I believe this is our first conference game to ever fall down this far in the TV selection order. I would hope the list is made available tomorrow morning (along with the one for the next Women's game).

Until then, check your local listings to see if your regional sports network is carrying the game. The cable syndication package seems to add more and more regions every season, so you may get the game even if you are outside of ACC territory.

ESPN did post their blackout map today:
http://espnfullcourt.espn.com/images/maps/Duke0111.jpg

If you live in the area shaded black, your only option for viewing the game is your regional sports network. That is bad news for the cord-cutters in the area (assuming they don't have a provider-unapproved method). If you live in the area shaded in green, you can watch on your regional sports network if it is carrying the game or on ESPN FullCourt or ESPN3. Some providers are in the middle of a free trial for FullCourt to coincide with the start of the conference season, so that may be an option for people outside of the ACC footprint.

sagegrouse
01-09-2014, 09:45 PM
I hate to jinx this, but I found 5-6 cable stations listed as carrying the game, including YES in the Northeast, Comcast Sports Net, the RSN alternate stations, and quite a few others. We'll see what's available and what's blocked here in the Rocky Mountains.

For example, tonight's FSU-Clemson game was listed on YES but blocked here in CO. I found the same telecast on a Fox West Coast network. DirecTV actually scans the other channels to find a game, if blocked on one channel. I hate to say anything good about DirecTV, so keep this a secret.

msdukie
01-09-2014, 10:03 PM
http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/RSN-Affiliates-for-ACCMBB-Duke-at-Clemson_01-07-14_5nq48q

Troublemaker
01-09-2014, 10:08 PM
Clemson lost at home tonight 56-41 to FSU

It's probably a given that they're going to play better when Duke's the opponent, but we really should beat this team regardless and also defend them well, even on the road. Clemson doesn't have much time to prepare, and they're pretty bad offensively.

Tappan Zee Devil
01-09-2014, 10:10 PM
I hate to jinx this, but I found 5-6 cable stations listed as carrying the game, including YES in the Northeast, Comcast Sports Net, the RSN alternate stations, and quite a few others. We'll see what's available and what's blocked here in the Rocky Mountains.

For example, tonight's FSU-Clemson game was listed on YES but blocked here in CO. I found the same telecast on a Fox West Coast network. DirecTV actually scans the other channels to find a game, if blocked on one channel. I hate to say anything good about DirecTV, so keep this a secret.

YES (the Yankee station) picks up a lot of college bball including many ACC games not on ESPN. They need things to broadcast (other than old Yankee games and homages to old Yankee heroes) during the baseball offseason

devildeac
01-09-2014, 10:28 PM

It's probably a given that they're going to play better when Duke's the opponent, but we really should beat this team regardless and also defend them well, even on the road. Clemson doesn't have much time to prepare, and they're pretty bad offensively.

I thought the college football season was over Monday night...

roywhite
01-09-2014, 10:33 PM

Yeah, saw some of that game tonight.....uggggllyyyy

If Clemson goes up to Chapel Hill later this month, plays offense like they did today, and the Heels play like they did last night, it could resemble some of the worst basketball we see from B1G teams (though if Clemson can break through in Chapel Hill, it will be wonderful)

And, yes, I expect Clemson to play hard vs Duke and play better than they did tonight.

By the way, any sign of Klemnop?

awhom111
01-10-2014, 01:16 AM

You should be able to see it on ROOT Sports Rocky Mountain on Saturday, but yes, some out of market games are in the clear on DirecTV sportspack. I have never figured out whether it is intentional or not, so we should keep it a secret.

http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/RSN-Affiliates-for-ACCMBB-Duke-at-Clemson_01-07-14_5nq48q

I totally forgot about the schedule trick to find the game and was waiting for them to post a news article. Now I remember again and this will serve as my once a season complaint about the ACC website, at least until they constantly delay the posting of the spring sports schedule.

YES (the Yankee station) picks up a lot of college bball including many ACC games not on ESPN. They need things to broadcast (other than old Yankee games and homages to old Yankee heroes) during the baseball offseason

YES and MSG added the ACC package this season, probably due to the addition of Syracuse. They are splitting the games based on which one has free space. The additions of Notre Dame and Pitt have added FS Indiana and ROOT Sports to the mix too.

YES actually has the Nets games too with our own Jim Spanarkel doing the color commentary.

nocilla
01-10-2014, 10:17 AM
If you live in the area shaded black, your only option for viewing the game is your regional sports network. That is bad news for the cord-cutters in the area...

Yes it is bad news. But according to our local listings we will be treated to LSU @ South Carolina in that time slot on NBC 17. That should be riveting entertainment right? Isn't that Clowney kid supposed to be good?

slower
01-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Hopefully the message has sunk in with this team that no ACC road game can be taken for granted. Clemson is not great but they're not bad either, and they will have a fired-up crowd behind them. We will need to bring it in order to win.

And yet, I'm sure we'll have some "experts" predicting a 20-point victory. (Which may very well end up being the case, although a loss would seem just as likely as a blowout win)

Bob Green
01-10-2014, 12:16 PM
My expectation is a low scoring game, in the 50s or low 60s. Ball movement is key, two or three passes should create open looks. For Clemson, K.J. McDaniels is an exciting player with excellent hops, to go all cliche, he can jump out of the gym and leads his team in scoring and rebounding.

jv001
01-10-2014, 12:21 PM
And yet, I'm sure we'll have some "experts" predicting a 20-point victory. (Which may very well end up being the case, although a loss would seem just as likely as a blowout win)

Not me. I'm expecting the Tigers to shoot the best they have all year and a player that averages 4 ppg will get 20. Bad shots will bounce almost to the ceiling and swish through the nets on the way down. At least that's how it looks sometimes when we play an average to bad team on the road. Not to mention, "home cooking" by the refs. But, I still expect Duke to win in a close game. GoDuke!

jacone21
01-10-2014, 12:29 PM
I predict that Jabari will bounce back and dominate in LittleJohn. He's due.

Troublemaker
01-10-2014, 12:38 PM
My expectation is a low scoring game, in the 50s or low 60s. Ball movement is key, two or three passes should create open looks. For Clemson, K.J. McDaniels is an exciting player with excellent hops, to go all cliche, he can jump out of the gym and leads his team in scoring and rebounding.

Looking forward to Rodney's matchup with McDaniels. It will mostly occur at the 3 but could sometimes occur at the 4 as well. In any case, if Hood plays better than McDaniels, will be tough for Clemson to win.

flyingdutchdevil
01-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Looking forward to Rodney's matchup with McDaniels. It will mostly occur at the 3 but could sometimes occur at the 4 as well. In any case, if Hood plays better than McDaniels, will be tough for Clemson to win.

Good news is that McDaniels is not a good 3pt shooter. Bad news is that he's really good at the rim. It may make more sense for Sulaimon to get on McDaniels than Hood, who is currently a defensive liability. Also, we could see the return of Tyler in this game if neither Hood nor Sulaimon gets it done (or Coach K goes right to Tyler). Either or, I like our options for containing McDaniels.

Bob Green
01-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Either or, I like our options for containing McDaniels.

In last year's 68-40 win over Clemson, K.J. McDaniels was limited to six points and five rebounds:

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20130108

Of course, this season he is option #1.

Clay Feet POF
01-10-2014, 05:13 PM
I predict that Jabari will bounce back and dominate in LittleJohn. He's due.

I predict Marshall converts his first FT

DukieInBrasil
01-10-2014, 06:03 PM

Let's hope he does!

BD80
01-10-2014, 06:12 PM

Are you calling glass?

If so, how many times?

Clay Feet POF
01-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Are you calling glass?

If so, how many times?

Two Net Only

Troublemaker
01-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Duke is once again 5.5 point favorites in an ACC road game. Certainly some of that is a reaction to Clemson getting pasted at home by FSU last night. Let's hope this works out better than when Duke was 5.5 point favorites in South Bend. I think it will.

DBFAN
01-10-2014, 07:18 PM
From what I can tell there is NO local coverage of this game. Congrats ESPN for blacking out NC/SC for this game. Now I'm not promoting anything illegal here, but if you should do a little research on Google, there is a GOOD possibility that you can find a password for ESPN3. But like I said I wouldn't suggest anyone try this :)

tbyers11
01-10-2014, 08:49 PM
From what I can tell there is NO local coverage of this game. Congrats ESPN for blacking out NC/SC for this game. Now I'm not promoting anything illegal here, but if you should do a little research on Google, there is a GOOD possibility that you can find a password for ESPN3. But like I said I wouldn't suggest anyone try this :)

Its on RSN, which generally means the local Fox Sports affiliate. It is on Fox Sports Florida where I live and according to TV Guide's online listings it is on Fox Sports Carolinas in Durham.

DBFAN
01-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Its on RSN, which generally means the local Fox Sports affiliate. It is on Fox Sports Florida where I live and according to TV Guide's online listings it is on Fox Sports Carolinas in Durham.

According to my DirecTV guide here in the Winston Salem area, it's only on ESPN full court. NFL playoffs are on CBS which is the channel here that Raycom usually uses

tbyers11
01-10-2014, 09:50 PM
According to my DirecTV guide here in the Winston Salem area, it's only on ESPN full court. NFL playoffs are on CBS which is the channel here that Raycom usually uses

RSN and Raycom are different. TV Guide for DirectTV in Winston Salem shows the game on FoxSports Carolinas (Channel 645) at 2pm. I don't know if your DirectTv package gets FoxSports but most at least get the local one. Hope you find it.

arnie
01-10-2014, 10:06 PM
RSN and Raycom are different. TV Guide for DirectTV in Winston Salem shows the game on FoxSports Carolinas (Channel 645) at 2pm. I don't know if your DirectTv package gets FoxSports but most at least get the local one. Hope you find it.

In the Triangle we will also see on direct tv 646.

DBFAN
01-10-2014, 10:07 PM
In the Triangle we will also see on direct tv 646.

Yeah sorry about that for some reason Fox Sports completely slipped my mind...my bad

CatDevil
01-10-2014, 11:14 PM
I have DishNet here. Looks like the game is blacked out on most of the channels, but I believe I found it on channel 420. This is great news for the family. We get cranky and mean when we have to miss a game.:mad:

Go Duke! & Beat Clemson!!!

-bdbd
01-11-2014, 12:51 AM
It is on ComcastSportsNet here in DC.

MPandolfi
01-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Blacked out here. Looks like I'll running errands afterall :mad:

riverside6
01-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Clemson, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=20044

ICP
01-11-2014, 01:55 PM

I also cannot find it in Va Beach on my Dish... I have all sports packages/channels possible, but no luck on locating the game. Anyone has any tips?

Gthoma2a
01-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Iowa State is going down to Oklahoma.

Furniture
01-11-2014, 02:00 PM
It's on 420 on dish

Ggallagher
01-11-2014, 02:02 PM
The game is available on ESPN3 in the Cincinnati area.

flyingdutchdevil
01-11-2014, 02:03 PM

You and me both :(

deezl
01-11-2014, 02:03 PM
1508 on TWC in Fayetteville.

Are we gonna ignore that earring?

nocilla
01-11-2014, 02:05 PM
http://atdee.net/74079/watch-duke-vs-clemson

Close the ad, close the popup, don't download anything, make it fullscreen to avoid more popups...

Good luck.

Gthoma2a
01-11-2014, 02:06 PM
They hit a 3 and we get the points. I like this scorekeeper.

CatDevil
01-11-2014, 02:08 PM
They hit a 3 and we get the points. I like this scorekeeper.

Me Too!

MPandolfi
01-11-2014, 02:09 PM

Close the ad, close the popup, don't download anything, make it fullscreen to avoid more popups...

Good luck.

Working like a charm. Thanks for the heads up!

Gthoma2a
01-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Jabari's back!

Ggallagher
01-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Amen - nice start for him so far.

the_weak_sauce
01-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Heat check on Jabari's last shot

delfrio
01-11-2014, 02:13 PM

Good luck.

Hmm, says "offline." Any other site suggestions?

nocilla
01-11-2014, 02:16 PM

Refresh? Working on my end.

ChrisP
01-11-2014, 02:17 PM

Good luck.

Am I doing something wrong? I don't see any ads or popups but I do see a link to download something??? UGH SO frustrating to realize this thing is blacked out in the Triangle on ESPN3!!!!

duke4ever19
01-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Decent pace so far. It favors us, I think Glad to see Jabari getting busy on offense.

Ggallagher
01-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Great move by Cook getting the ball to Parker!

jipops
01-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Why are we playing the ball so tight? They cant shoot 3's. The way they can beat us is on the drive.

DukeDevil
01-11-2014, 02:20 PM
do we have live chat anymore?

delfrio
01-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Refresh? Working on my end.

Got it going. Took a few tries. Thanks!

the_weak_sauce
01-11-2014, 02:21 PM
It's so refreshing to have the G-man doing commentary rather than Len Elmore.

pfrduke
01-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Why are we playing the ball so tight? They cant shoot 3's. The way they can beat us is on the drive.

But only one guy has gotten into the paint on a drive so far (McDaniels on the and-1). I think the defense has been pretty good.

Clemson is also a turnover prone team, so ball pressure will help force some of those.

duke09hms
01-11-2014, 02:22 PM

firstrowsports.eu works

duke09hms
01-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Clemson getting lots of points on offensive rebounds. We need to box out better.

jv001
01-11-2014, 02:24 PM
A block out would get us a defensive rebound. GoDuke!

the_weak_sauce
01-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Dawkins!

Gthoma2a
Dre with the jam!

duke09hms
ANDRE WITH THE PUTBACK DUNK!!! WOW

this mcdaniels kid is pretty good too

JNort
01-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Dre with the sweet put back!!!!!! Man I wish he would dunk more

JNort
01-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Parker has had a few bad mins in a row here. I'd take him out for a couple mins and let him get settled down.

Matches
01-11-2014, 02:41 PM
At the risk of terping, the officiating is.... interesting.

duke09hms
Andre looks vastly improved on defense. Moving strongly to get around screens. Huge improvement from where he was.

Gthoma2a
Thornton threw that ball like he was angry. Then he fouls on this end. He may not be frustrated, but he looked it there.

That screen on Dre was ridiculous.

pfrduke
01-11-2014, 02:43 PM
We've got to stop "fouling" McDaniels.

duke4ever19
01-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Zone 'em up guys

fisheyes
01-11-2014, 02:49 PM
We are playing zone!

duke09hms
01-11-2014, 02:51 PM
Team defense getting better in the first half. For a while we were on pace to give up 80 pts this game, now it's looking more on pace for 60 after a Clemson FG drought.

DukeDevil
01-11-2014, 02:51 PM
not happy about giving up the points, but glad Hood stepped back and didn't pick up the foul.

hudlow
01-11-2014, 02:53 PM
At the risk of terping, the officiating is.... interesting.

Par for the course in Littlejohn....

somf4eva
01-11-2014, 02:53 PM

Good luck.

worked for me! thanks!

moonpie23
01-11-2014, 02:54 PM
try this one (http://atdee.net/74079/watch-duke-vs-clemson)

devildeac
01-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Folks in chat are enjoying this site for our halftime entertainment:

https://twitter.com/ICMeltdown

with gems like this:

"I'm sick of going to Smith Center & seeing a fancy intro with lights off, seeing "This is Carolina Basketball" & then playing like NCCU"

jv001
01-11-2014, 03:05 PM
1) Block out. 2) don't let McDaniels drive all the way to the basket. 3) don't foul McDaniels. 4) Quinn, please watch those passes at the top of the key. 5) take the win and get out of town. GoDuke!

DukeDevil
01-11-2014, 03:10 PM
why isn't FSN including a shot clock anymore?

**it's back.

DukeDevil
01-11-2014, 03:12 PM
ugh...WHY would cook try to score that himself with 2 open players. I imagine coach K about to rip him in the TO.

jv001
01-11-2014, 03:13 PM
ugh...WHY would cook try to score that himself with 2 open players. I imagine coach K about to rip him in the TO.

Quinn has missed Amile a couple of times on the pick & roll. GoDuke!

DukieInBrasil
01-11-2014, 03:15 PM
the 3 by Hood to start the half is nice, but the offense is still not about passing the ball enough.
Cook with a poor choice to drive the ball to the rim there. He needs to see the floor better and know that he's got an advantage on the break, and on top of that 2 of the defenders are on him. That was a perfect opp for him to kick the ball out for a better shot. Plus he just got burnt to a crisp on consecutive plays by Hall.

jipops
01-11-2014, 03:15 PM
This feels like Clemson is about to go on a big run

duke4ever19
01-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Wow, that ball was not off Duke. Clemson gets the ball back, scores and a foul.

jv001
01-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Suddenly our zone in the first half looked pretty good compared to the dribble drive we're giving up. GoDuke!

DukieInBrasil
01-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Wow, that ball was not off Duke. They get the ball back, score and a foul instead.

looked like it was off Parker's thigh. Parker is trying his best, but he's just not an effective C on defense. Gave up the offensive rebound b/c he was too deep under the basket, and then fouled the rebounder for an and-1. So far the D hasn't kept Clemson from doing anything it wants.

arnie
01-11-2014, 03:21 PM

A profound analysis: we are exceptional on offense and pitiful defensively.

Papa John
Wow, that ball was not off Duke.

Clearly... Followed by a no-call on an obvious over-the-back by Nnoko, and the icing on the top as they whistle Parker for a foul after being the victim of that OTB... Not a good sequence for the zebras there...

gurufrisbee

Yup. Driving to the hoop with no threat of interior defense and dominating us on the glass. Wonder who Clemson got that plan from. Grrrrr

jipops
01-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Suddenly our zone in the first half looked pretty good compared to the dribble drive we're giving up. GoDuke!

I posted earlier, why in the world are giving so much ball pressure. Sag off the ball handler. This is a poor jump shooting team. The only way they can beat us is on the drive, which we're giving up.

jv001
01-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Rodney might have to score 50 for us to win.

DukieInBrasil
01-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Lucky Hairston's stone hands didn't cost Duke the possession on that play.
Duke can't contain even Clemson in the paint.
Hood has been a plus though

Gthoma2a
01-11-2014, 03:25 PM
We don't even jump for rebounds.

gurufrisbee
01-11-2014, 03:26 PM
I swear Hood is 7'2" on offense when the ball is in his hands and immediately shrinks a foot when it's time to rebound or play defense.

duke4ever19
01-11-2014, 03:28 PM
There were several good tip-outs in the first half. Still time to get back to that here.

jv001
01-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Quinn looks like he's lost some of his energy. GoDuke!

burns15
01-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Why will Jabari not drive to the basket? He has gotten himself in trouble by settling for bad contested jumpers the past few games. Mimic Rodney, drive the lane, and get to the line

duke09hms
01-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Looking out how our backcourt is failing to contain penetration today, I'm hoping not to see a Tyus-Quinn starting backcourt next year. Too small and lacking lateral quickness to avoid getting abused on defense.

arnie
01-11-2014, 03:30 PM
We don't even jump for rebounds.

Thanks for seeing that- I've noticed the same with H and think you're right about others. H tend to move off to the side on the defensive end away from rebounding lane. Guess he's looking for someone to block out, but generally we need him to be aggressive.

dalmatians98
01-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Thank God Clemson stinks at the foul line. The way this game is going, those missed FTs may make the difference for Duke.

DukieInBrasil
01-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Quinn looks like he's lost some of his energy. GoDuke!

Quinn looks like he has forgotten how to pass the ball. He drove the lane and got stuffed by Nnoko, and was defended by 3 Tigers. Somebody was open.
Cook's play has been highly questionable lately.

duke4ever19
01-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Good 'ol Clemson grinder game.

Gthoma2a
01-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Our guys refuse to pass on a lot of these possessions. When Hood is getting the ball, he is going to drive and, unless something ray happens, he isn't looking for any other option. Quinn just did the same thing. We don't play good team basketball sometimes.

gurufrisbee
01-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Notre Dame still looks good a week later wearing orange....

jv001
01-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Not one of Quinn's better games so far. GoDuke!

jv001
01-11-2014, 03:40 PM
Way, way too much dribbling and not enough passing. GoDuke!

Furniture
Looks like our boys can't get to grips with road games...

bbosbbos
No communication, wrong shot selection & no patience, the 2nd half is not good. Why not zone again?

burns15
01-11-2014, 03:41 PM
I'm sorry to say it, but we just aren't a good basketball team. The results speak for themselves. I don't see any improvement from the beginning of the year. We can't defend and we can't rebound against good teams, making us susceptible to runs when we go cold offensively or have no clue offensively. We just aren't good this year

GGLC
Our offense is embarrassing. With as much talent as we have, we are taking far too many terrible, rushed shots.

IBleedBlue
Clemson is dumping the ball inside and Parker is not playing aggressive defense with the fear of fouling out. On the outside, Hall is blowing by Cook every possession.
Unless, we make a few more threes, it's going to be difficult to win this game.

DukieInBrasil
Duke continues to be completely unable to keep the opposition out of the lane.
For pretty much the entire 2nd half Duke's offense has been way too much one-on-one without enough passes, sure enough our FG% is hovering just above 33% for the half.
Would love to see Cook make better decisions withe ball, although that fast-break dump-off to Parker was a much better choice than trying to take it for the score.

duke4ever19
Jaron Blossomgame, who averages 3.9 points a game with a career high 14 points.
Why can't he score 0 points on 4 minutes playing time like he did vs. FL State?

arnie
Not one of Quinn's better games so far. GoDuke!

Yes, but its been a team issue including the staff. Gonna have to play some zone this year to disguise our weaknesses.

gurufrisbee
01-11-2014, 03:43 PM

That's got to be at least the tenth time this season some 6'5 to 6'8" forward went off for a career high against us.

arnie
01-11-2014, 03:45 PM
That's got to be at least the tenth time this season some 6'5 to 6'8" forward went off for a career high against us.

A Clemson rout if they hit throws.

jipops
01-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Just like last weekend, the better team is winning

CR9
01-11-2014, 03:47 PM
I'm sorry to say it, but we just aren't a good basketball team. The results speak for themselves. I don't see any improvement from the beginning of the year. We can't defend and we can't rebound against good teams, making us susceptible to runs when we go cold offensively or have no clue offensively. We just aren't good this year

This x1,000

dukelifer
Just like last weekend, the better team is winning

Duke has serious issues. They refuse to pass the ball.

duke4ever19
Can't hit a point blank shot.

IBleedBlue
01-11-2014, 03:48 PM
we are getting out rebounded badly.
Is Marshall Plumlee that bad he can't give us atleast 5 mins in the post? I am perplexed at his development after 2.5 years.

Furniture
01-11-2014, 03:48 PM
I don't there is any chance now to win this one
:-/

Chicago 1995
01-11-2014, 03:49 PM

Because Florida State is a really good defensive team.

The exact opposite of Duke.

We're so weak on the rare occasions we attack the rim. We haven't figured out, apparently, that the rules changes should make it easier to get to the line. Seek contact. Don't slither around it and take an off balance/easily block able shot

gcashwell
Is Marshall Plumlee that bad he can't give us atleast 5 mins in the post? I am perplexed at his development after 2.5 years.

We look outsized down low. Why not try our biggest man when nothing else works?

jv001

Our defense can make anybody look good. GoDuke!

jipops
01-11-2014, 03:50 PM
My quibble is the defensive strategy. I just don't get it at all. Clemson is not a jump shooting team. Yet we give them the drive all game except for a few minutes in the 1st. Big mistake by the staff today. Why not sag off the ball handler?

DukieInBrasil
Sorry to say, but this team has a very weak grip on its offensive identity, and that starts with Cook. Sometimes he plays well and Duke has some flow. Get in his head a little and his play drops off a lot, and then the whole team just devolves into this 1-on-1 mentality.
Duke has not done much of anything positive in the 2nd half. Rebounding in particular has been bad.

dukelifer
I don't there is any chance now to win this one
:-/

Nope. No one can take over in tight games. A young team that has not learned to play together. Just have to see how they develop.

burns15
01-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Why has Marshall Plumlee not played? The guys in the game certainly haven't cut it, he couldn't be any worse

Furniture
01-11-2014, 03:51 PM
We always seem to run individual plays on offense. Where is the team?

CALVET
01-11-2014, 03:52 PM

Kedsy's gonna beat me up on this but I believe we would be better off living with Marshall's growing pains than wearing down Jabari and Rodney or even Andre by asking them to play as undersized defenders and rebounders every game.

kmspeaks
01-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Because Florida State is a really good defensive team.

The exact opposite of Duke.

We're so weak on the rare occasions we attack the rim. We haven't figured out, apparently, that the rules changes should make it easier to get to the line. Seek contact. Don't slither around it and take an off balance/easily block able shot

Like Andre Dawkins who just took it strong to the hoop and got slammed to the floor with no whistle.

Not just in this game, and not from a pro or anti Duke standpoint I really don't understand what is or is not a foul this year.

_Gary
01-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Kedsy's gonna beat me up on this but I believe we would be better off living with Marshall's growing pains than wearing down Jabari and Rodney or even Andre by asking them to play as undersized defenders and rebounders every game.

Absolutely agree.

jv001
01-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Just can't move their feet quick enough. Our guards are getting beat like a drum. GoDuke!

burns15
We have been completely out worked in the second half. It's very clear who wanted it more today

porkpa
For the amount of talent it has, this group is not yet a good team. Will they become one? Right now, I doubt it.

Gthoma2a
01-11-2014, 03:56 PM
For all of the talk of team chemistry, I just don't see it out there. Then, there is no fight in us. Rebounds shouldn't be ignored. Completely. This last 7 minutes, any team could have beaten us.

DukieInBrasil
wheels came off in the second half of this one. This Duke squad can't seem to keep its composure, it's gonna be a long year for this team on the road.

Matches
I'm not saying it's time to panic, but it maybe time to panic.

bbosbbos
Feel the same. Curious why blocking our opponents is a foul while blocking us is no foul. Saw this thousands times already.

Like Andre Dawkins who just took it strong to the hoop and got slammed to the floor with no whistle.

Not just in this game, and not from a pro or anti Duke standpoint I really don't understand what is or is not a foul this year.

DBFAN
01-11-2014, 03:57 PM
If K does not start being verbal about the way these other teams are allowed to be much more physical than we are, it's gonna be a long season

duke4ever19
01-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Dawkins is ice cold. What witchery is this that Clemson has pulled?

Gthoma2a
01-11-2014, 03:58 PM
We have been completely out worked in the second half. It's very clear who wanted it more today

That's the thing that hurts most. Do they think they are just going to turn it on in March? Or do they just think this is preparation for the NBA, so they'd better pad their personal stats? I don't understand why we keep just throwing it to Dawkins right now. I love him, but he is ice cold.

DBFAN
Great game plan just hoist a bunch of 3's

jv001
With the dribble, dribble, dribble offense we have too many droughts on offense. Now 5 mins. GoDuke!

Chicago 1995
01-11-2014, 03:59 PM

Could we be worse playing through Marshall's growing pains? We are about to lose a second straight game to a team that will be lucky to be in the NIT.

Clemson can get 10 and 13 out of Nnoko and we can't find a minute for Marshall? Please don't feed me the line about "earning minutes in practice".

We look pretty lost. Serious changes have to be made, and that starts with the coaching staff changing it's approach too

gcashwell
Hairston with 2 Rebs and 0 points gets us nowhere.

jv001
If K does not start being verbal about the way these other teams are allowed to be much more physical than we are, it's gonna be a long season

Sorry, but the refs are not the problem for Duke!

DBFAN
Parker being manhandled and if you even come close to Mcdaniels it's a foul. That takes a lot out of a player

Gthoma2a
01-11-2014, 04:00 PM
The only guy who is hustling right now is Jones. Nobody else even tried to get back. We are going to lose to a bad team by double digits.

jv001
01-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Hairston with 2 Rebs and 0 points gets us nowhere.

He chews his mouth piece well. GoDuke!

DBFAN
01-11-2014, 04:01 PM
That's because right now we are a BAD team

moonpie23
01-11-2014, 04:02 PM
inside game kills us again……..

gonna be a short post season…. :(

dukelifer
That's the thing that hurts most. Do they think they are just going to turn it on in March? Or do they just think this is preparation for the NBA, so they'd better pad their personal stats? I don't understand why we keep just throwing it to Dawkins right now. I love him, but he is ice cold.

This team may not make it to March. Need to win a game like this. A very bad effort- a lot of panic at the end. The team does not understand how to come back. The lack of inside scoring is a huge issue. Can't sugarcoat this one- the team is struggling when games are close. No one has the confidence to take over.

burns15
I think the starting lineup against UVA needs to be Cook, Jones, Hood, Jefferson, and Plumlee. Bring Parker off the bench because his defense is too weak right now to start. Plumlee can't be worse than what we currently have

Chicken Little
01-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Sorry, but the refs are not the problem for Duke!

Agreed.

This team doesn't even seem to care today. Coach K must be exhausted with these guys.

Gthoma2a
01-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Folks in chat are enjoying this site for our halftime entertainment:

https://twitter.com/ICMeltdown

with gems like this:

"I'm sick of going to Smith Center & seeing a fancy intro with lights off, seeing "This is Carolina Basketball" & then playing like NCCU"

We don't need to worry about them. They can give it to us right back, right now. We may even lose to them, if we don't improve.