PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Miami-Florida 63, North Carolina-Chapel Hill 57

ChillinDuke
01-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Anyone watching?

James just got ejected on an iffy flagrant 2 elbow on an offensive board.

Both teams look pretty mehh.

Miami up 8 under 16 to play.

Devildeac, puppies, small children, ymm beer, etc, etc...

- Chillin

Duvall
01-08-2014, 10:27 PM
As day follows night...

devildeac
01-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Anyone watching?

James just got ejected on an iffy flagrant 2 elbow on an offensive board.

Both teams look pretty mehh.

Miami up 8 under 16 to play.

Devildeac, puppies, small children, ymm beer, etc, etc...

- Chillin

You forgot arnie-is-still-king:p;) .

ChillinDuke
01-08-2014, 10:34 PM
I thought I would get an email banning me from the board, as no sooner than I started this thread then UNC ramped up the D and cut it to 2. But Miami has answered to extend the lead to 10 on back-to-back dunks by Swoope.

Now apparently UNC has turned it over too, so Miami ball up 10 under 12.

UNC not looking very good. Shooting about 32% and 2-10 from deep.

- Chillin

burnspbesq
Bruce Pearl is bloody awful.

Miami is not. This year might turn out to be Larranaga's best coaching job, surpassing GMU's FF run.

FerryFor50
Regardless of who wins, watching UNC give up dunk after dunk is fun.

If UNC loses this game, they run a very real risk of dropping 3 in a row, as Syracuse awaits...

FerryFor50
01-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Also, the Dean Dome is so quiet, you can actually hear the coaches and individual fans.

Duvall
01-08-2014, 10:40 PM
I thought I would get an email banning me from the board, as no sooner than I started this thread then UNC ramped up the D and cut it to 2. But Miami has answered to extend the lead to 10 on back-to-back dunks by Swoope.

Now apparently UNC has turned it over too, so Miami ball up 10 under 12.

UNC not looking very good. Shooting about 32% and 2-10 from deep.

- Chillin

You aren't in the clear yet.

Ultrarunner
01-08-2014, 10:47 PM
I swear I'm only turning on the game because I haven't had a chance to watch Miami yet this year. NOT emotionally invested in the game at all, no sir.

Mabdul Doobakus
Larranaga must be doing something right. Having this Miami team competitive on the road against Syracuse and UNC in back-to-back games is a small miracle.

OldPhiKap
Thanks for starting the thread. And thanks for taking the crushing onus of being a potential mega-jinx.

Leadership is hard. Own it.

FerryFor50
01-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Miami is playing at a slow pace these last few games. Going to be annoying to play them..

FerryFor50
01-08-2014, 10:51 PM
The Swoope kid is playing out of his mind...

burnspbesq
01-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Colorado and wazzu in OT.

ChillinDuke
7 under 3.5.

- Chillin

OldPhiKap
Bang Swoope

Newton_14
I have been watching since opening tip. Almost started a thread at the point of the James ejection but no way I am taking the heat that comes with the jinx! Not me. So thanks Chillin....

Miami and NC State have been the biggest surprise in the young season. This Miami team is not that bad at all actually. And anyone that thinks this tarheel team will win a championship of any kind this season is delusional...

duke4ever19
01-08-2014, 10:56 PM
Up to double digits now.

Newton_14
01-08-2014, 10:57 PM
McAdoo is still awful and now Paige is coming down to earth....

FerryFor50
01-08-2014, 10:57 PM
Nothing like a little schadenfreude before bed...

OldPhiKap
01-08-2014, 10:58 PM
"As some of the fans start to leave the Smith Center...."

FerryFor50
01-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Great, the announcer jinxed it. Guaranteeing an upset with a min left??? Come on!

OldPhiKap
01-08-2014, 11:02 PM
Here come the heels

duke4ever19
Lord help us, they are crawling back. Kill it with fire Miami!!!

_Gary
Oy vey!

Duvall
01-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Pretty clear UNC is going to win this. UNC now in Dean Dome foul with impunity mode.

Mabdul Doobakus
01-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Miami had been handling the defensive pressure all game, until these last few possessions.

Mabdul Doobakus
01-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Miami going with the deep bomb to save the game.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Nice exchange by Miami.

I like Larranaga (sp?). Teams play good ball.

RoyalBlue08
01-08-2014, 11:06 PM
I feel like you switched the coaches from this game and gave them a few days to prep the Larranaga coached UNC team wins by 25. I have no idea why Roy went the whole second half trying to trap the Miami point guard in the center of the floor time and time again when Miami was clearly prepared to deal with it and kept getting dunks and open threes off of it. And it is pretty clear Roy has no idea who is best five players are. I'm not sure I know either, but I'm not paid millions to figure it out. On the other hand, I am very impressed by what Larranaga is getting out of this roster. They are going to be no fun to play this year, and won't beat themselves.

Newton_14
01-08-2014, 11:06 PM
Come on Miami! Hang in there!

FerryFor50
01-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Larranaga could coach a sack of potatoes into the NCAAs.

devildeac
01-08-2014, 11:07 PM
You folks are disturbed. Nothing to see here. Move along:o;).

devildeac
01-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Nice moving screen to get the shooter open for the 3:mad:.

devildeac
01-08-2014, 11:10 PM

New? Redskin? Russet?

FerryFor50
Wow, bs travel call there.

Dukehky
Hmmmmmm a travel eh? Ball don't lie homey.

Mabdul Doobakus
01-08-2014, 11:11 PM
The hell was that travel call? Fortunately, probably not gonna matter.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2014, 11:12 PM
Does Clemson play in CH this year?

FerryFor50
01-08-2014, 11:12 PM
Chillin is hereby designated as the upset thread starter.

Newton_14
01-08-2014, 11:13 PM

It's Over! But still horrible call. Dude took two steps. Hello, the rules allow that!

0 and Two and the losing ain't through! Syracuse has next!

Combined with the scathing article on CNN today, rough day in Cheater Hill....

FerryFor50
01-08-2014, 11:14 PM
Not only do they read on a 4th grade level, but they also play on a 4th grade level.

devildeac
Wow, bs travel call there.

Hmmmmmm a travel eh? Ball don't lie homey.

Even my wife watched that play and called shenanigans on the ruling.

Me, I'm a jinx, don't believe in Santa and dislike small children and puppies. :rolleyes:

hurleyfor3
Does Clemson play in CH this year?

Yes! January 26.

Is this unc's lowest point total ever in the dean dome? I recall the score of our game there in 2002 was 87-58.

I think I like this unc team more than the 2010 version.

duke4ever19
01-08-2014, 11:15 PM
Time to drink the rest of my ale and mosey on over to insidecarolina for the meltdown.

devildeac
This is getting to be kind of fun;).

FerryFor50
Time to drink the rest of my ale and mosey on over to insidecarolina for the meltdown.

I like how schizo they are.

Newton_14
Yes! January 22 I believe.

Is this unc's lowest point total ever in the dean dome? I recall the score of our game there in 2002 was 87-58.

I think I like this unc team more than the 2010 version.

Me too! The early season upsets makes it sweeter. Gave them false hope...

timmy c
01-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Is it too early to wander over to the IC?

hurleyfor3
01-08-2014, 11:17 PM
They lost at home to Davidson 58-54 on 11/20/2001, so this was not their dean dome record low.

roywhite
01-08-2014, 11:17 PM
Geez....not a good close-out by Miami -- turnovers, missed foul shots, and then the bogus traveling call.....whew

Down go the Heels...hah.

devildeac
01-08-2014, 11:18 PM
I'll bet ol' roy is still not in the dadgum Christmas spirit!!!

richardjackson199
01-08-2014, 11:19 PM
I like how schizo they are.

I don't know - knowing the way their season has gone they'll probably beat Syracuse... (which would also be fine given every game counts in the conference race). So like the Kentucky/UNC games - good outcome either way as one of them has to lose. For now, let em have it IC!

roywhite
01-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Currently at 0-2 and sharing last place with Georgia Tech and Boston College.

One good thing about conference expansion---they've never been in 13th place before!

OldPhiKap
01-08-2014, 11:25 PM
I'll bet ol' roy is still not in the dadgum Christmas spirit!!!

Roy gave up giving a $#[+ about Carolina for his New Year's resolution.

FerryFor50
01-08-2014, 11:26 PM
I don't know - knowing the way their season has gone they'll probably beat Syracuse... (which would also be fine given every game counts in the conference race). So like the Kentucky/UNC games - good outcome either way as one of them has to lose. For now, let em have it IC!

Well they play more bad teams than good ones, so maybe that means NIT!

Dukehky
01-08-2014, 11:30 PM
IC hates the world right now. Lot of Roy needs to retire. One optimistic soul opined that the 05 and 09 teams started 0-2 in the ACC as well. His buddies quickly pointed out that Ray Felton, McCants, Lawson, Hansbrough, and Ellington are not on this team. I giggled.

miramar
01-08-2014, 11:31 PM
At least McAdoo scored in double figures with 12.

dukelifer
01-08-2014, 11:33 PM
Currently at 0-2 and sharing last place with Georgia Tech and Boston College.

One good thing about conference expansion---they've never been in 13th place before!

I have always been cautious about gloating too much with UNC losses. This is a team that has nearly everyone coming back next year. There are few teams will have that many talented players as juniors and seniors. You cannot keep UNC down for long.

Duvall
01-08-2014, 11:38 PM
I have always been cautious about gloating too much with UNC losses. This is a team that has nearly everyone coming back next year. There are few teams will have that many talented players as juniors and seniors. You cannot keep UNC down for long.

That's *why* you have to enjoy UNC losses.

throatybeard
Roy Williams is not in the spirit of Kim Jong-Un's birthday.

Dukehky

You nor I can keep them down for long... Roy can.

Totally just poking fun, because you're right. Roy get's himself a game changing point guard and this collection of players get a hell of a lot better (I don't think Berry is that guy, but maybe)

roywhite
01-08-2014, 11:42 PM

To each his own. I prefer to kick them when they are down.

They apparently have a good recruiting class coming in, but their returning players next year include only one proven shooter -- Paige, who prior to tonight's game accounted for fully two-thirds of the team's 3-pt shots made, 32 for Paige of a team total 48. For comparison, Duke has made 136 3-pt shots so far. So shooting will likely still be an issue for the 2014-15 Tarheels.

richardjackson199
01-08-2014, 11:44 PM

Nearly everyone coming back next year? Maybe, maybe not. :)

Well they do lose Senior extra-benefits leader Ol' McDonald. They might also lose Ol' Roy the way things are goin' with this sensationalist national media sayin' and thinkin' things about good Ol' UNC that they never said and thought before. The Ol' Boy sounded like he'd had 'bout enough to hear sonny-boy Scott interviewed by Bleacher Report. Ol' Roy said it's got to get better. It's got to. But 2014 is sayin that it ain't.

Ol Roy might just up and quit

snowdenscold
01-09-2014, 01:11 AM
I rarely watch UNC games, but I caught a bunch of the first half while doing some chores - man that place is quiet. You could very clearly hear Roy, and it seemed like the crowd gave a golf applause when UNC got a contested rebound. Kind of eerie to listen to after being so used to Cameron.

Anyway, it also sounded like (and I could have misheard) one of the announcers trying to blame everything on the loss of Hairston. I believe he said they UNC was a "final four team" if he had been there as expected, and also that the only reason they didn't land Wiggins was because Roy didn't think he really needed him w/ PJ returning. Seemed way overly apologetic...

dukelifer
01-09-2014, 06:47 AM
That's *why* you have to enjoy UNC losses.

I enjoy the losses - but quietly. And I enjoy watching their fans self destruct. As some have pointed out- Roy may decide to pack it in- but I doubt it. This is a strange team. Shooting is an issue for sure. But like vampires- they are hard to keep down.

wsb3
01-09-2014, 08:19 AM

They never disappoint do they?

oldnavy
01-09-2014, 08:29 AM
I rarely watch UNC games, but I caught a bunch of the first half while doing some chores - man that place is quiet. You could very clearly hear Roy, and it seemed like the crowd gave a golf applause when UNC got a contested rebound. Kind of eerie to listen to after being so used to Cameron.

Anyway, it also sounded like (and I could have misheard) one of the announcers trying to blame everything on the loss of Hairston. I believe he said they UNC was a "final four team" if he had been there as expected, and also that the only reason they didn't land Wiggins was because Roy didn't think he really needed him w/ PJ returning. Seemed way overly apologetic...

I heard that as well. So Roy didn't sign Wiggins because he didn't think he would need him? I have to throw the BS flag on that.

Let me get this straight, you cold shoulder the number one recruit in HS based on your hope that you don't lose anyone to the draft?

Yeah, right. Has Roy not seen McAdoo play? I'd take Wiggins over him right now....

If he did do that, then he needs to resign immediately because he has lost all of his remaining sense.

I suspect this is just more delusional thinking from Roy and UNC, thinking that all they have to do is ask and ANY kid would fall over themselves to come to UNC... so when one decides to not come to UNC it is because they really didn't want them... heard all this before.

JasonEvans
01-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Paige and McDonald combined to go 5-27 (18.5%) from the field including 4-18 (22%) from 3-point land. That's their two best perimeter players. Seeing as PJ was especially strong at putting the ball in the basket from the perimeter, I can see how having PJ would be a really big deal to this team. But he ain't playing for Carolina ever again.

Ready for a crazy stat? Carolina had 16 assists on 20 made FGs. That's an 80% assist rate. HUGE! I have lately become a major devotee of A-to-FGM rate as a key indicator. If you doubt its importance, look at the assist rate for Duke's opponents in the games we lose. If we give up mid-teens in assists and allow more than a 55% assist rate, we are going down (or almost going down, in the case of the Vermont game).

So, how to explain Carolina's crazy, absurd 80% assist rate with 16 total assists in a game where UNC lost? Of course, the answer is the fact that they only had 20 made FGs, a very small number (especially for a team that does not hit many 3-pointers). The simple truth for this Carolina team is that they cannot score on their own. They must have a pass that sets them up for an easy hoop or the ball ain't going into the basket. They are woefully offensively challenged.

-Jason "Roy ain't retiring, but I bet he is getting quite frustrated. He really needs wings who can score!" Evans

Dev11
01-09-2014, 08:48 AM
I watched a good bit of the game, and my favorite moment was when one of the Miami player (Brown, I think), picked up his third foul early in the second half. One of the announcers pointed out that Brown may not have realized that he was called for the foul, and then the camera moved to Larranaga, whom I hear shout clear as day, "That's your third foul!"

When's the last time you could hear an opposing coach shout a whole sentence at a player in Cameron?

Quotes I saw this morning from Roy during his presser were not fun. He sounds like he's going to spend today staring glumly out the window and dreaming about golf.

Matches
01-09-2014, 08:54 AM
Given UNC's performance against middling competition this year, their first round NIT game is going to be a tough one.

weezie
01-09-2014, 09:05 AM
I enjoy the losses - but quietly. And I enjoy watching their fans self destruct. As some have pointed out- Roy may decide to pack it in- but I doubt it. This is a strange team. Shooting is an issue for sure. But like vampires- they are hard to keep down.

dukelifer nails it. It's an 'uneasy feeling' season all around. That so-called team over there has the attention span of a flea but still...
we'll need our Duke Blue wooden stakes.

OldPhiKap
01-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Quotes I saw this morning from Roy during his presser were not fun. He sounds like he's going to spend today staring glumly out the window and dreaming about golf.

He's not in the daggum winter spirit.

TruBlu
01-09-2014, 09:09 AM
I watched a good bit of the game, and my favorite moment was when one of the Miami player (Brown, I think), picked up his third foul early in the second half. One of the announcers pointed out that Brown may not have realized that he was called for the foul, and then the camera moved to Larranaga, whom I hear shout clear as day, "That's your third foul!"

When's the last time you could hear an opposing coach shout a whole sentence at a player in Cameron?

Or practice target shooting with his BB gun. Do not wear any red clothing around Chapel Hill today.

roywhite
01-09-2014, 09:16 AM
What is the stress-meter reading on Ole Roy these days? Near the top I'd guess, maybe even pegged at the highest reading?

Just on the short list of his woes:
The whole Hairston saga and Roy's disappointment in his own school's administration for not trying harder to keep the kid eligible
A former player staying at his house getting busted
The long playing story of academic abuses at UNC that involved many basketball players as well as football players
His school the subject of lengthy (if not harsh) NCAA scrutiny
Neighboring rival Coach K still going strong with Olympic glory and Duke currently having the upper hand in the rivalry
A more difficult recruiting environment for the Heels -- losing prospects to various schools including Duke and Kentucky
A current bunch of players that simply can't shoot straight
His issues with vertigo
Etc., Etc.

I enjoy seeing the Tarheels lose, but I don't really wish a total meltdown or health emergency for Ole Roy.
Does he bail out at some point? And I'd guess he won't go quietly. I'm thinking tears and drama.

weezie
01-09-2014, 09:20 AM
I enjoy seeing the Tarheels lose, but I don't really wish a total meltdown or health emergency for Ole Roy.
Does he bail out at some point? And I'd guess he won't go quietly. I'm thinking tears and drama.

Geez roywhite, you're making me feel bad for the guy. I'm not kidding!
Let's save that for after the season, please?
Ol'roy will then have all those unused timeouts with which to contemplate his future.

OldPhiKap
01-09-2014, 09:22 AM
What is the stress-meter reading on Ole Roy these days? Near the top I'd guess, maybe even pegged at the highest reading?

The whole Hairston saga and Roy's disappointment in his own school's administration for not trying harder to keep the kid eligible
The long playing story of academic abuses at UNC that involved many basketball players as well as football players
Neighboring rival Coach K still going strong with Olympic glory and Duke currently having the upper hand in the rivalry
A more difficult recruiting environment for the Heels -- losing prospects to various schools including Duke and Kentucky
His issues with vertigo
Etc., Etc.

I'm not sure this is what he envisioned by returning to Carolina.

He won two NC's for them, and the fans are absolutely ripping him. At least, a sizable portion of the fan base.

Good thing he gets paid millions of dollars a year, otherwise it would hardly be worth it.

It would be really easy to just go to the beach, play golf, and look back on a HOF career.

oldnavy
01-09-2014, 09:27 AM

His issues with vertigo
Etc., Etc.

Melt down would be kinda of fun to watch honestly, but I'm with you and hope the best for Roy on a personal level, I only wish bad things on him professionally! :confused:

rsvman
01-09-2014, 09:44 AM
It seems that they really DID need Hairston, at least in games against inferior opponents.

When they play against good teams, they're fine without him.

nocilla
01-09-2014, 09:58 AM
It seems that they really DID need Hairston, at least in games against inferior opponents.

When they play against good teams, they're fine without him.

Which is a concern for when we play them. (Assuming we are good, which I do) The way to beat UNC seems to be to zone them and force them to score from the perimeter. They are much more comfortable scoring in the paint through post play and dribble penetration. Duke's defense is the opposite of that. Now I certainly expect our defense to continue improving but looking at the style of play, UNC matches up with us very well.

Lar77
01-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Geez roywhite, you're making me feel bad for the guy. I'm not kidding!
Let's save that for after the season, please?
Ol'roy will then have all those unused timeouts with which to contemplate his future.

Unfair! Roy used all his timeouts last nights.

Anyone else disturbed by the ESPN lovefest for Carolina during the second half?

DukieInKansas
01-09-2014, 10:17 AM
Got home in time to watch the last few minutes of the game. Every time I thought about checking DBR, unc made a run at catching up - so I stayed away. (You're welcome! :D)

I was amazed to see Roy using all his timeouts. Maybe he can change.

UrinalCake
01-09-2014, 10:23 AM
)So, how to explain Carolina's crazy, absurd 80% assist rate with 16 total assists in a game where UNC lost? Of course, the answer is the fact that they only had 20 made FGs, a very small number (especially for a team that does not hit many 3-pointers). The simple truth for this Carolina team is that they cannot score on their own. They must have a pass that sets them up for an easy hoop or the ball ain't going into the basket. They are woefully offensively challenged.

Or maybe it's because the official scorekeeper is employed by the home team?

I remember several years ago someone broke down Ty Lawson's stats and found that he was awarded significantly more assists in home games than road games, even if you ignore the cupcake games that are more likely to be at home.

Kfanarmy
01-09-2014, 10:34 AM

He's good, but that team would get mashed.

MChambers
01-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Soon, I expect Roy to say this is worse than bird flu.

flyingdutchdevil
01-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Soon, I expect Roy to say this is worse than bird flu.

I think RoyWill is smarter than that. He'd go with the launch of healthcare.org. It's more current ;)

Kfanarmy
01-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Which is a concern for when we play them. (Assuming we are good, which I do) The way to beat UNC seems to be to zone them and force them to score from the perimeter. They are much more comfortable scoring in the paint through post play and dribble penetration. Duke's defense is the opposite of that. Now I certainly expect our defense to continue improving but looking at the style of play, UNC matches up with us very well.
I agree, their offense appears to be fortuitously most capable against the kind of struggling interior defense that Duke has exhibited to date.

Troublemaker
01-09-2014, 10:46 AM
Props to Kedsy and Duvall if UNC continues to suck. When the Heels were racking up top 10 wins earlier in the season, those two stood out to me as never buying into UNC not sucking.

flyingdutchdevil
01-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Props to Kedsy and Duvall if UNC continues to suck. When the Heels were racking up top 10 wins earlier in the season, those two stood out to me as never buying into UNC not sucking.

I'm sure you can add Ozzie to that list as well. NIT or NCAA 1-seed, Ozzie always thinks the Heels suck.

wilko
01-09-2014, 11:34 AM
Heaven help the Heels if Roy develops an "illness" that takes him away from the game...
Real or manufactured - It simply does not matter... Karma has been collecting interest on this one for YEARS!!!!

Roy suddenly looks worn out and tired.

hurleyfor3
01-09-2014, 11:36 AM
Heaven help the Heels if Roy develops an "illness" that takes him away from the game...

Be careful about this. Lots of unc fans still think K's 1995 back injury wasn't legit.

Duvall
01-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Be careful about this. Lots of unc fans still think K's 1995 back injury wasn't legit.

And Williams has had more than his share of real health issues in recent years.

jv001
01-09-2014, 11:42 AM

Put me in the group that thought unc would be better, but I'm happy to say I was wrong. GoDuke!

nocilla
01-09-2014, 11:55 AM

I'm pretty sure that is what he was getting at with the karma coming back to them.

hurleyfor3
01-09-2014, 12:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that is what he was getting at with the karma coming back to them.

Yeah, I think I see this now. (Wilko, check your pitchfork points.)

I wish perfectly good health on Roy, so that he has to deal with this team for every waking minute, and perhaps in his dreams.

OldPhiKap
01-09-2014, 12:03 PM
I wish perfectly good health on Roy, so that he has to deal with this team for every waking minute, and perhaps in his dreams.

Are you challenging him to a fight to the pain, Wesley?

wsb3
01-09-2014, 12:13 PM
First I wish Roy good health. I have found it ironic the past few years that there is so much discussion about Coach K retiring & not so much about Roy, except for the UNC fans that want him retired right now.

Forget age. Look at him vs Coach K. Roy looks older. He has more health issues and Coach K seems to have found the fountain of youth.

I have viewed this in this way for the past three years at least & shared it with UNC fans. They don't disagree or agree.

sagegrouse
01-09-2014, 12:23 PM
Real or manufactured - It simply does not matter... Karma has been collecting interest on this one for YEARS!!!!

Roy suddenly looks worn out and tired.

And Williams has had more than his share of real health issues in recent years.

Would it be OK to start a thread on likely successors to Roy? He doesn't seem to be enjoying his job very much, and the trend may continue to decline.

sage

FerryFor50
01-09-2014, 12:23 PM
Would it be OK to start a thread on likely successors to Roy? He doesn't seem to be enjoying his job very much, and the trend may continue to decline.

sage

Shouldn't that be a vigil?

MChambers
01-09-2014, 12:29 PM
My vote is to bring Matt Doherty back. Duke can add Andre Buckner as an assistant. Those were good times!

devildeac
01-09-2014, 12:36 PM
I'm sure you can add Ozzie to that list as well. NIT or NCAA 1-seed, Ozzie always thinks the Heels suck.

Well, it is the present tense of c*rolina blue...

hurleyfor3
01-09-2014, 12:36 PM

It's a fair topic, and one that (nationally and among Duke and unc ppl) isn't discussed anywhere near as much as Duke's future after K is. But I still want to see a few more L's before we bury unc's 2014 season. I remember unc staring 0-4 ACC in the face in 1997 and making the final four. On the third hand that was under Dean, but on the fourth hand it was Dean's last year, too. :o

Matches
01-09-2014, 12:38 PM
It's a fair topic, and one that (nationally and among Duke and unc ppl) isn't discussed anywhere near as much as Duke's future after K is. But I still want to see a few more L's before we bury unc's 2014 season. I remember unc staring 0-4 ACC in the face in 1997 and making the final four. On the third hand that was under Dean, but on the fourth hand it was Dean's last year, too. :o

I wouldn't bury Roy in general just yet either. They have a nice recruiting class coming in next year and are likely to return everyone except McDonald. Roy's a melodramatic fellow at times but he tends to bounce back whenever the team does.

CDu
01-09-2014, 12:46 PM

Not to undermine your point, but pretty much every time we are at the free throw line in Cameron, you can hear anything you want (unless Redick was shooting). I believe that UNC was similarly at the line when that happened.

But yeah, it was pretty quiet in general during that game.

FerryFor50
01-09-2014, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't bury Roy in general just yet either. They have a nice recruiting class coming in next year and are likely to return everyone except McDonald. Roy's a melodramatic fellow at times but he tends to bounce back whenever the team does.

They also had a nice recruiting class coming in this year (10th (http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Basketball/TeamRankings)). And last year (12th (http://247sports.com/Season/2012-Basketball/TeamRankings)). And the year before that (4th (http://247sports.com/Season/2011-Basketball/TeamRankings)).

Next season, they have the 4th best (http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Basketball/TeamRankings) coming in again. Maybe this one will be different...

jipops
01-09-2014, 01:29 PM
The way Miami slows the game down and uses up so much of the shot clock on offense, I expect we'll have our struggles against them as well at their place on the 22nd.

BD80
01-09-2014, 01:31 PM

Please share the choice bits. I can't bring myself to dip into the cesspool. Hell, I can't bear to read the postgame threads on this board after a loss.

IC hates the world right now. Lot of Roy needs to retire. One optimistic soul opined that the 05 and 09 teams started 0-2 in the ACC as well. His buddies quickly pointed out that Ray Felton, McCants, Lawson, Hansbrough, and Ellington are not on this team. I giggled.

And the 05 and 09 teams didn't have to go to classes.

Paige and McDonald combined to go 5-27 (18.5%) from the field including 4-18 (22%) from 3-point land. ...

Look at it this way, they were TWICE as accurate from beyond the arc!

I'm not sure this is what he envisioned by returning to Carolina.

He won two NC's for them, and the fans are absolutely ripping him. At least, a sizable portion of the fan base.

But the evidence is clear, ol' roy cheated to keep his athletes eligible to win those natties.

What is the stress-meter reading on Ole Roy these days? ...

...Neighboring rival Coach K still going strong with Olympic glory and Duke currently having the upper hand in the rivalry
A more difficult recruiting environment for the Heels -- losing prospects to various schools including Duke and Kentucky ...

And Coach K getting so much pub for landing Jabari and then the #1 class the following year

Well, he still has to keep the current roster academically eligible. Are there enough drama classes available? Can ol' roy teach classes in melodrama?

wilko
01-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Yeah, I think I see this now. (Wilko, check your pitchfork points.)

No Worries.
To be clear I wasn't wishing ill health on Roy... merely stating that hes in an intractable position should *something* require him to step away.

In fact Roy strikes me of the kind of guy who is WELL aware of the situation and would continue to coach against a Dr's advice. (Hardly the only guy who would do so) He wouldn't give Duke fans the satisfaction of evening the karmic balance unless it was SEVERE/DIRE/EXTREME circumstances...

rsvman
01-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Worst job in the world right now?

Huckleberry Hound's masseuse! Imagine the amount of whining and complaining you'd have to put up with.

moonpie23
01-09-2014, 04:32 PM
The IC meltdown is so entertaining, i was on there for about an hour……..sheesh….

JasonEvans
01-09-2014, 08:55 PM
The IC meltdown is so entertaining, i was on there for about an hour……..sheesh….

This post is useless without quoted highlights.

moonpie23
01-09-2014, 09:14 PM
you are correct…i'll forage up some winners...

lotusland
01-09-2014, 09:52 PM
you are correct…i'll forage up some winners...

Well we can start with the thread titled "Wear are the fans"

lotusland
01-09-2014, 09:57 PM
And here is my fave from yesterday:

Posted: 1/7/2014 8:32 PM

Re: Bball player who (allegedly) could not read or write

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why the hell would anyone want to write, when they can just type everything?

Dukehky
01-09-2014, 11:05 PM
UCLA vs Arizona

What the hell is Bryce Alford doing? He is trying to takeover like he's LeBron.

Furniture
01-09-2014, 11:14 PM
UCLA vs Arizona

What the hell is Bryce Alford doing? He is trying to takeover like he's LeBron.

Bruins had their chance and AZ were wobbling.....

:-/

DukieInKansas
01-10-2014, 01:14 PM
And here is my fave from yesterday:

Posted: 1/7/2014 8:32 PM

Re: Bball player who (allegedly) could not read or write

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why the hell would anyone want to write, when they can just type everything?

But it is so much harder to type in Swahili than it is to write in Swahili! :D