PDA

View Full Version : Interesting perspective on transfers

FerryFor50
01-08-2014, 01:53 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140108/george-washington-colonials/?eref=sihp

Clicked on it because of the picture of Alex Murphy. Ended up opening my eyes to how many transfers Jim Larranaga gets....

flyingdutchdevil
01-08-2014, 02:12 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140108/george-washington-colonials/?eref=sihp

Clicked on it because of the picture of Alex Murphy. Ended up opening my eyes to how many transfers Jim Larranaga gets....

It's a really good strategy for BCS schools who can't compete with the top tier schools at recruiting HS players. Duke and other blue chip schools have the luxury of not having to rely on transfers and only getting the cream of the crop transfers from time to time.

Count me as one of the fans who likes the increase in transfers. It makes the landscape a lot more interesting.

SupaDave
01-08-2014, 05:35 PM
It's a really good strategy for BCS schools who can't compete with the top tier schools at recruiting HS players. Duke and other blue chip schools have the luxury of not having to rely on transfers and only getting the cream of the crop transfers from time to time.

Count me as one of the fans who likes the increase in transfers. It makes the landscape a lot more interesting.

Sounds like WHAT? Free agency...

CDu
01-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Sounds like WHAT? Free agency...

Coaches can come and go. Regular kids often have a change of heart and switch schools. Seems perfectly reasonable for athletes to have somewhat similar flexibility. I am okay with the rules as is. And I am OK with an ever-increasing number of transfers. This the last chance for many of these kids to play meaningful games. Might as well allow them the opportunity to correct a bad decision made when they were 18-19.

SupaDave
01-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Coaches can come and go. Regular kids often have a change of heart and switch schools. Seems perfectly reasonable for athletes to have somewhat similar flexibility. I am okay with the rules as is. And I am OK with an ever-increasing number of transfers. This the last chance for many of these kids to play meaningful games. Might as well allow them the opportunity to correct a bad decision made when they were 18-19.

I agree. I have no problems at all with it and I WISH you could go from D-I school to D-I school without having to sit out a year with some stipulations (like GPA, hours earned, time of declaration, minutes played, playing for Calamari, etc).

Saying all that, some make the bad decision when they decide to transfer...

CDu
01-08-2014, 07:54 PM
I agree. I have no problems at all with it and I WISH you could go from D-I school to D-I school without having to sit out a year with some stipulations (like GPA, hours earned, time of declaration, minutes played, playing for Calamari, etc).

Sadly, that's true. Apparently, the decisions of 20-22 year olds aren't necessarily all that much better than those of 18-19 year olds. Such is life.

flyingdutchdevil
01-09-2014, 10:36 AM

I like the ability to transfer, but I love the "sit out one year" rule. It prevents mid-majors and other lowly BCS schools from getting absolutely gutted. Hood, for instance, transferred for the right reasons - his coach was fired and I'm sure he had mixed feelings about the incoming coach (which is why he transferred!). But imagine if you are CJ McCollum and you absolutely torched a blue chipper in the first round of the NCAA. You're profile is sky high. Want you want is to a) win and b) increase your exposure. Wouldn't you want to automatically transfer to a blue chipper or other BCS school?

Sidenote: I really like calamari. It's delicious and one of the top sharing appetizers. I don't like Calipari. Can we use a different nickname?

ricks68
01-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Sidenote: I really like calamari. It's delicious and one of the top sharing appetizers. I don't like Calipari. Can we use a different nickname?

Since I believe that I am the first one that gave that name for him and also like calamari (the dish), I will put my 2 cents in on this one. I chose that nickname because calamari is made from squid. Slime. Just plain slime, in my opinion. 'nuff said as far as I am concerned.

ricks

Matches
01-09-2014, 12:35 PM
I like the ability to transfer, but I love the "sit out one year" rule. It prevents mid-majors and other lowly BCS schools from getting absolutely gutted. Hood, for instance, transferred for the right reasons - his coach was fired and I'm sure he had mixed feelings about the incoming coach (which is why he transferred!). But imagine if you are CJ McCollum and you absolutely torched a blue chipper in the first round of the NCAA. You're profile is sky high. Want you want is to a) win and b) increase your exposure. Wouldn't you want to automatically transfer to a blue chipper or other BCS school?

You make a good point, but we already allow coaches to do this exact thing. Several coaches do it every year. Why should it be verboten for players but ok for coaches?

sagegrouse
01-09-2014, 12:35 PM

The origins of the transfer rules go back to the "bad old days" of college sports. According to family legend, the father of one of my roommates was a player at a small college in Tennessee back in the '20s. His team played mighty Vanderbilt one Saturday, and he impressed the Commodores with his aggressive play. They talked him into joining their team, and the next week he enrolled at Vandy and joined the football team.

flyingdutchdevil
01-09-2014, 01:08 PM
You make a good point, but we already allow coaches to do this exact thing. Several coaches do it every year. Why should it be verboten for players but ok for coaches?

Never thought about it that way. Interesting...

I think it's because the NCAA views coaching as a career and playing as a method to get a solid education (rather that a career). The truth is that if you are playing for a blue chipper, basketball is most likely your career.