PDA

View Full Version : Going to Littlejohn for the game

Bomar
01-08-2014, 12:13 PM
My fiancee got us two tickets to Saturday's game at Clemson. She tried to get tickets for a home game, but as we all know, tix at Cameron are hard to come by, especially when you're in Atlanta, not Durham. Anyhow, I have never had a chance to see Duke in person, and despite being behind enemy lines, I can't wait! We are in the upper seats, she is going to bring her binoculars, LJ seems to be pretty big.

Anyhow, I'll be sporting my gear and going in to hostile territory, and I guess I'm looking for the scoop on what it's going to be like for us. Since we're in the upper section, I assume that we will at least not be in a student section. Is anyone else going to be at the game? Are there any good Duke vs. Kentucky places for dinner? How long we stick around depends on the result of Saturday's game, haha!

uh_no
01-08-2014, 12:56 PM
My fiancee got us two tickets to Saturday's game at Clemson. She tried to get tickets for a home game, but as we all know, tix at Cameron are hard to come by, especially when you're in Atlanta, not Durham. Anyhow, I have never had a chance to see Duke in person, and despite being behind enemy lines, I can't wait! We are in the upper seats, she is going to bring her binoculars, LJ seems to be pretty big.

Anyhow, I'll be sporting my gear and going in to hostile territory, and I guess I'm looking for the scoop on what it's going to be like for us. Since we're in the upper section, I assume that we will at least not be in a student section. Is anyone else going to be at the game? Are there any good Duke vs. Kentucky places for dinner? How long we stick around depends on the result of Saturday's game, haha!

keep an eye on goduke.com....they were selling tickets to last nights game for 72$ a pop

AluminumDuke
01-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Anyhow, I'll be sporting my gear and going in to hostile territory, and I guess I'm looking for the scoop on what it's going to be like for us. Since we're in the upper section, I assume that we will at least not be in a student section.

I've been able to procure tickets for the Duke game in Littlejohn on a couple of occasions in the past and have enjoyed the experience. I don't recall any hostility from the fans there for showing up in my Duke gear, and seem to remember people being pretty cordial. I do remember being somewhat amused by the fans reaction to even the most obvious of calls against their team, but we're probably guilty of that in Cameron as well (even if I related their reactions at the time to Clemson being a football school). The student sections, if I recall correctly, were behind the baskets on the lower level.

Bomar
01-08-2014, 01:13 PM
I've been able to procure tickets for the Duke game in Littlejohn on a couple of occasions in the past and have enjoyed the experience. I don't recall any hostility from the fans there for showing up in my Duke gear, and seem to remember people being pretty cordial. I do remember being somewhat amused by the fans reaction to even the most obvious of calls against their team, but we're probably guilty of that in Cameron as well (even if I related their reactions at the time to Clemson being a football school). The student sections, if I recall correctly, were behind the baskets on the lower level.

Thanks for the info! I am looking forward to going.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Littlejohn is a GREAT venue to watch basketball. I have been to several Duke games there. The atmosphere is intense, and the fans were very friendly (or at least left you alone). The campus, of course, is beautiful.

Grab a beer in Tiger Town Tavern (or whatever it's called) before the game, and enjoy!

Olympic Fan
01-08-2014, 01:37 PM
I haven't been in a few years, but Clemson is not a bad place to visit.

There are some nice student bars in the area, but the restaurant pickings in Clemson itself are mighty slim. If you can arrange it, there are a lot of good options in Greenville, if you can eat there.

In fact, Jim Boeheim was talking about the outposts of the ACC and mentioned that the best restaurant he ever ate in was in Greenville, SC ... unfortunately, he didn't remember the name,

Bomar
01-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Sounds like this is going to be a great time. Is it Friday yet? (Heading up the night before)

BigWayne
01-08-2014, 02:17 PM
In fact, Jim Boeheim was talking about the outposts of the ACC and mentioned that the best restaurant he ever ate in was in Greenville, SC ... unfortunately, he didn't remember the name,
http://www.chophouse47.com/

That being said, Greenville is on the wrong side of Clemson for someone coming from Atlanta.

Only time I was in LJ was in Jan 1980 when we were rated #1 and went down at the hands of the Tigers. Was pretty intense. We were in the top few rows in the corner and SRO people were sitting in the aisles almost all the way up to where we were. I am sure it was a fire marshal violation.

gotoguy
01-08-2014, 03:22 PM
I've driven up from Atlanta many times to see a game at Littlejohn. It's always easier to pick up tickets on a week night than weekend. The high roller parking lot is near the tiger statue between Littlejohn and the football stadium. Many of the season ticket holders will have have an extra ticket or two and I've picked up a good seat free of charge. Works even better if you are wearing orange. It's a good place to look for a ticket and also applies to the similar parking lot at GA Tech games in Atlanta. One year an older supporter and his wife approached me as I was talking to another Clemson fan and gave me one of his extras, a lower level seat on the sideline near half court. I wore no Duke regalia. When I told him I would be rooting for the visitors, he snatched the ticket out of my hand and walked on while his wife scolded him for having no manners.

On the culinary side, those interested in BBQ and travelling on I-85 pre or postgame can check out the Pompous Pig on Main St in Anderson. Good pulled pork and sides as I've visited 4-5 times in the last few years.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2014, 03:38 PM
http://www.chophouse47.com/

That being said, Greenville is on the wrong side of Clemson for someone coming from Atlanta.

Only time I was in LJ was in Jan 1980 when we were rated #1 and went down at the hands of the Tigers. Was pretty intense. We were in the top few rows in the corner and SRO people were sitting in the aisles almost all the way up to where we were. I am sure it was a fire marshal violation.

They renovated Littlejohn about twenty years ago -- dropped the floor IIRC -- and the place is like playing in a pit. A very hostile pit.

(I mean that in an impressive way, not a snarky way).

BigWayne
01-08-2014, 04:59 PM
They renovated Littlejohn about twenty years ago -- dropped the floor IIRC -- and the place is like playing in a pit. A very hostile pit.

(I mean that in an impressive way, not a snarky way).

It was a hostile pit in 1980. IIRC, the building was pretty unimposing from the outside as most of the arena was below ground even then. I guess it's a deeper hostile pit now.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2014, 05:40 PM
It was a hostile pit in 1980. IIRC, the building was pretty unimposing from the outside as most of the arena was below ground even then. I guess it's a deeper hostile pit now.

It's like Thunderdome. Except everyone is wearing orange.

Oh, and Duke wins.

PSurprise
01-08-2014, 05:51 PM
It's like Thunderdome. Except everyone is wearing orange.

Oh, and Duke wins.

10,325 enter, 10,325 leaves!!

Indoor66
01-08-2014, 06:12 PM

I was there on January 9, 1980 for that loss. Giminski, Banks, Dennard et al got beat by the Tigers and Littlejohn was rocking. That said, the crowd was respectful - if hostile. They supported their team.

cruxer
01-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Littlejohn can be a loud boisterous impossible place for visiting fans when Clemson is good, but unfortunately for them, that doesn't happen in very many years. Living in Greenville, I used to try to score Clemson/Duke tickets when the Devils came down every year, but the Tmac years disabused me of the sanity of that notion. Remember the game when Newton had an opportunity for a game-winning layup but he couldn't handle the pass? I think it was #2 vs #5? I was at that game. That would be the last time I went to the Duke/Clemson game in Littlejohn. :)

The fans are pretty cordial, though there may be some bros in the crowd who'll give you a hard time for your Duke gear. Then again, they're pretty middling this year (though certainly capable of winning Saturday) and they're finally coming off of a BCS bowl victory, so I suspect the glow from that will last for a long while.

-c

jtheall
01-08-2014, 09:12 PM
I'm a Clemson student, and I'll be there on Saturday too...rockin' all blue! Last time Duke came to town, I believe was 2012 with Austin Rivers. I wore my Duke attire in the student section and didn't receive any negative vibes, although I was pretty reserve with my celebrations. Like others have said, Littlejohn is a great place to take in a game, especially as a Duke fan (except for that forgettable 2009 matchup).

If you get to town early and are looking for some grub or brews, I'd recommend checking out the new Palmetto's Smokehouse and Oyster Bar (http://palmettosclemson.com), as well as the BGR burger joint or Brioso's Fresh Pasta. All 3 are located on College Avenue (aka Downtown Clemson). Not sure where I'll be sitting yet, but glad to know there will be a couple DBR members at the game. GO DUKE!

Dukehky
01-08-2014, 10:55 PM
I've been to Duke at ACC opponents in every original ACC school's venue (including FSU). Little John is my second favorite stadium behind UVA's. I was there for the Singletary game winner, which was not fun, but I liked him so slightly less awful. I don't remember there being a bad seat in the place, could be wrong though. I haven't seen Clemson play this year but I hear mcdaneils is legit.

FerryFor50
01-08-2014, 10:59 PM

Dukehky
01-08-2014, 11:02 PM

Did you know Lil Jon went to St. Joe's University? Didn't see that one coming.

Note: According to Wikipedia, so who knows.

msdukie
01-08-2014, 11:09 PM
I'll be there too on Saturday. Haven't been to Littlejohn since 2002 or Memorial Stadium/Death Valley since 2006. Make sure you check out Death Valley. Go to the Esso Club. Go to Tiger Town Tavern and walk up and down college avenue and walk around campus.

Bomar
01-09-2014, 08:51 AM
This is all great info guys. Will definitely have to get a brew at Tiger Town. Thanks for all the input. I am ready! GO DUKE!