PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Thornton gets extra year of eligibility

SupaDave
01-06-2014, 06:18 PM
"Coach K has received permission from the NCAA to grant Tyler Thornton - a 4 year contributor to the Duke Men's Basketball team - an extra year of eligibility."

Naw, I'm playing. :p

I wouldn't want to send the forum into nuclear meltdown but alas, the enigma that is Tyler Thornton is easily the most polarizing player on this board since Greg Paulus.

Just like his real life basketball skills he pushes he way into nearly every thread and people get belligerent. Yet amazingly he's very rarely the topic of a thread.

Personally, I'm a fan. Let's make sure that we also appreciate this senior's contribution to the team this year.

lotusland
01-06-2014, 07:22 PM
"Coach K has received permission from the NCAA to grant Tyler Thornton - a 4 year contributor to the Duke Men's Basketball team - an extra year of eligibility."

I wouldn't want to send the forum into nuclear meltdown but alas, the enigma that is Tyler Thornton is easily the most polarizing player on this board since Greg Paulus.

Just like his real life basketball skills he pushes he way into nearly every thread and people get belligerent. Yet amazingly he's very rarely the topic of a thread.

Personally, I'm a fan. Let's make sure that we also appreciate this senior's contribution to the team this year.

Almost double checked my calendar to make sure this wasn't April 1st when I saw the thread title but then I looked out the window and realized that if this is April, Hell must be freezing over (Chapel Hell anyway):)

Potato Head
01-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Coach K likes him, so I do too, and so should you.

burnspbesq
01-06-2014, 07:28 PM
I don't know if there is any Duke athlete who is cooler or more admirable than Casey Carroll, but TT isn't far behind.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-06-2014, 07:39 PM
A man of all reasons. He'll be a coach someday.
Love, Ima

ricks68
01-06-2014, 08:08 PM
A man of all reasons. He'll be a great coach someday.
Love, Ima

ricks

CatDevil
01-06-2014, 08:45 PM
:cool:

OldPhiKap
01-06-2014, 09:08 PM
I'll take having TT around our program for as long as it is allowed.

duke96
01-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Do we still have room for Myles?

kidding, kidding

Much respect for TT and yes, he will be a great coach someday

billy
01-06-2014, 11:45 PM
Almost double checked my calendar to make sure this wasn't April 1st when I saw the thread title but then I looked out the window and realized that if this is April, Hell must be freezing over (Chapel Hell anyway):)

Well, it is 17 here in Chapel Hill, wind-chill 1, and getting down to 8 tonight...

flyingdutchdevil
01-07-2014, 09:15 AM

Gotta disagree. I think this year, a lot of posters have come to appreciate Thornton. Given that he provides stability, communication, and better than team-average defense, his value is certainly appreciated.

I'd say that Josh Hairston is the most polarizing player since Greg Paulus, especially this year when he gets attacked left, right, and center. Especially at center ;)

Dev11
01-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Gotta disagree. I think this year, a lot of posters have come to appreciate Thornton. Given that he provides stability, communication, and better than team-average defense, his value is certainly appreciated.

I'd say that Josh Hairston is the most polarizing player since Greg Paulus, especially this year when he gets attacked left, right, and center. Especially at center ;)

I'd also submit Austin Rivers for the title.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-07-2014, 09:27 AM
I'd also submit Austin Rivers for the title.

I wouldn't call Rivers "polarizing." I feel like he was just frustrating. My memories of this board during Rivers' time at Duke (fleeting though it was) doesn't include a lot of argument or disagreement. More exasperation and elation.

I could be wrong, and I am not invested enough in this opinion to do the research, but I feel he wad taken for what he wad around here... a flashy, talented, somewhat immature kid who was full of heart, capable of scoring in bunches... and not great at keeping his head in the game, especially on defense.

But, I seem to recall one cold evening where we all loved him...

kAzE
01-07-2014, 09:29 AM

Eh . . . I think most people have about the same opinion of Josh (even coach K, judging from his distribution of minutes these past few games), so that doesn't really qualify as polarizing. He's one of the leaders on the team, he's very vocal, and does a good job of knowing where to be on defense. He doesn't bring much on offense, and his lack of size and athleticism limit his ability to effectively rebound and protect the paint. I don't think I said anything there that anyone would disagree with. Same goes for Tyler, but I think probably most of the more observant people on this board have no problem with him. He's just one of those guys whose contributions can't be quantified on paper.

Paulus is definitely the winner in that category. I still remember the heated arguments I had with fellow Dukies on his merits. (For the record, I was pro-Paulus, but it was a losing battle most of the time)

flyingdutchdevil
01-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Eh . . . I think most people have about the same opinion of Josh (even coach K, judging from his distribution of minutes these past few games), so that doesn't really qualify as polarizing. He's one of the leaders on the team, he's very vocal, and does a good job of knowing where to be on defense. He doesn't bring much on offense, and his lack of size and athleticism limit his ability to effectively rebound and protect the paint. I don't think I said anything there that anyone would disagree with. Same goes for Tyler, but I think probably most of the more observant people on this board have no problem with him. He's just one of those guys whose contributions can't be quantified on paper.

Paulus is definitely the winner in that category. I still remember the heated arguments I had with fellow Dukies on his merits. (For the record, I was pro-Paulus, but it was a losing battle most of the time)

I think Josh and Tyler are very, very different. They are similar in that their talent levels are on the lower end of the spectrum on this team. They are similar in that they understand Duke defensive concepts and preach communication.

But I think the similarities end there. Tyler provides so much more, in my opinion. He is a better leader, a better communicator, shoots with regularity and at a good percentage (don't get me started on the Hairston mid-range jumper. I know he made one against ND, but it's a low-percentage shot), and provides good on-the-ball D and even better off-the-ball D. You're description of Hairston is spot on, and his height (or lack thereof) and inability to jump high and quick leads to a lot of easy post-ups for the opposing team.

IMO, I am beginning to question Hairston's value moreso after the last month. And I know I'm not alone. I feel that since Hairsotn has started, a lot of posters have shifted the debate to Hairston rather than Thornton. That could just be me, but I do get that sense.

kAzE
01-07-2014, 11:12 AM
I think Josh and Tyler are very, very different. They are similar in that their talent levels are on the lower end of the spectrum on this team. They are similar in that they understand Duke defensive concepts and preach communication.

But I think the similarities end there. Tyler provides so much more, in my opinion. He is a better leader, a better communicator, shoots with regularity and at a good percentage (don't get me started on the Hairston mid-range jumper. I know he made one against ND, but it's a low-percentage shot), and provides good on-the-ball D and even better off-the-ball D. You're description of Hairston is spot on, and his height (or lack thereof) and inability to jump high and quick leads to a lot of easy post-ups for the opposing team.

IMO, I am beginning to question Hairston's value moreso after the last month. And I know I'm not alone. I feel that since Hairsotn has started, a lot of posters have shifted the debate to Hairston rather than Thornton. That could just be me, but I do get that sense.

No, I agree with you, they are different, what I meant when I said, "the same goes for Tyler" is that we know what he is, and there's not a whole lot of disagreement at least among knowledgeable Duke fans on his worth. Therefore, he is not, in my opinion, a truly polarizing player.

Dukehky
01-07-2014, 11:26 AM
I think TT is a very important piece for our team. He's not my favorite, but I understand his value. However, I think it hurts us when TT and QC play big minutes together because it puts us at such a size disadvantage and a disadvantage on offense because Tyler isn't much of a weapon. Tyler and Quinn are both, maybe 6 feet tall. I know they're both listed above that, but go stand beside them sometime, they're pushing 6 feet only: really small for a 2 guard. Neither is a particularly good on ball defender. Quinn gets some steals and TT can hold up on drives occasionally. Tyler is a strong off ball defender, but he gambles too much and fouls entirely to often. I think Tyler's best role would be give Cook a rest and play PG, because I don't like them on the court together.

Just in case people say, "Oh but people want QC and Tyus on the court at the same time next year," I am one of them, it's different because Tyus and Quinn are both offensive weapons, not liabilities.

Tyler has really grown on me over the past year and a half, and it started with the Rivers' Shot Game against UNC. I had friends sitting really close and just came out saying how nasty TT was and how vulgar he was towards Jon Henson. That he was just mean. We need a little bit of that, every body else wants to be BFFs with the other team. So after that, I have been a fan of Tylers, even if I do think he plays a little too much.

CBecker
01-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Think some people see Tyler scrapping out there for 25 mins and take a look at the bench and see uber talented Rasheed and Dawkins sitting on the pine and get a little frustrated and think he's playing too much, that's my guess anyway. I don't post here much but I did see him criticized even this year in the game threads at least by some people. I mean surely anyone who watches the game closely can see that he is a useful player and helps the team in a variety of ways. He deserves his minutes.