PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v. Georgia Tech Pre-Game and In-Game Thread (7, ESPNU)

pfrduke
01-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Hey! We have a game tomorrow! Against one of the worst offenses in the conference! In Cameron! Knocking firmly on wood, this is exactly the kind of get-healthy game you want to see coming off of a loss.

The one area the Jackets will test us on offense is in the post. Miller and Holsey (new addition to the starting lineup following Robert Carter's injury) are reasonably effective post scorers and great offensive rebounders. Offensive rebounding is what Tech does best on offense, and it's really the only thing they do well. There are games when it looks like a team's best offense is a missed shot, because it lets the big guys go get second chance opportunities - that's been Tech's entire season. Nobody shoots well from outside (Solomon Poole, at 36%, is the only one remotely dangerous) and as a team they're hitting just 28.7% from downtown. They're somewhat turnover prone. And they don't really get to the line. Basically, their offense isn't that dissimilar from Eastern Michigan's, a team we had no trouble containing.

The defense for Tech has been better, particularly in terms of cleaning the glass, blocking shots, and shutting down interior scoring. They throw some decent size out there - among meaningful rotation players, only Solomon Poole is under 6'2" - and Miller in particular has evolved into a strong post defender and rim protector. The Jackets have been packing the defense in and daring teams to score inside. They don't force turnovers (and they're playing a Duke team that doesn't turn the ball over). They don't particularly care if you shoot 3s (over 35% of opponents attempts have been from deep) and they aren't that great at defending them. They just focus on cutting off 2 point scoring and second chances.

Losing Robert Carter Jr. hurts. He was a talented big forward who could play inside and facing the basket. He was one of the absolute best defensive rebounders in the country and a good weak side shot blocker. Even if Duke doesn't play particularly inspired defense, Georgia Tech shouldn't have the ability to keep up with Duke on the scoreboard - the gap between our offense and their offense is huge. But I'd like to see some inspired defense, and some inspired offense, and come away with a comfortable win.

superdave
01-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Next play.

I am looking forward to seeing if the ND game was an aberration to our recently improved defensive play. I suspect it is. I also want to see Jabari come out hungry and channel some frustration into dominating an opponent.

flyingdutchdevil
01-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Let's Go Cameron! Clap, clap, clap clap clap! Let's Go Cameron!

Home advantage aside, I'm looking forward to a mad Quinn (emotional leader), a madder Rodney (great game with a poor last play that I'm sure is lingering in his mind), and a maddest Jabari (worst game thus far).

If there is such thing as the opposite of a trap game, I think this is it. Don't wanna be GT right now.

Fish80
01-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Who starts? Now may be time to shake up the line-up. I'm thinking Amile has made a good case for a starting spot. Not sure about the 2 guard spot. I think Quinn, Rodney, and Jabari are pretty much a given. Even after Notre Dame.

superdave
01-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Who starts? Now may be time to shake up the line-up. I'm thinking Amile has made a good case for a starting spot. Not sure about the 2 guard spot. I think Quinn, Rodney, and Jabari are pretty much a given. Even after Notre Dame.

Jabari got benched down the stretch vs. ND. I could see him coming off the bench here. I guess a lot depends on what goes on in practice today. Maybe Jabari is diving for loose balls and gets the message about center-field defense.

I think given the defensive lapses, it is a good bet that Tyler and Josh will continue to start. But it is more important who finishes....

jv001
01-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Jabari got benched down the stretch vs. ND. I could see him coming off the bench here. I guess a lot depends on what goes on in practice today. Maybe Jabari is diving for loose balls and gets the message about center-field defense.

I think given the defensive lapses, it is a good bet that Tyler and Josh will continue to start. But it is more important who finishes....

I agree in most cases, but it's also important to come out and knock an opponent back. Don't let them get the confidence that gives them the idea that they can play with DUKE. For that reason, I'd like to see Quinn, Jabari, Rodney, Amile and TT or Rasheed. That leaves Andre, Josh and Marshall to come off the bench. GoDuke!

jv001
01-06-2014, 06:01 PM
With Duke's drop all the way to 16th in this weeks poll, I anxious to see how the team responds to the ND loss. Along with getting off to 0-1 in ACC play, Coach K has some good stuff to throw at his team. I'm hoping for better perimeter defense with a much smoother offense. It wouldn't hurt to see some inside outside offense, with some Quinn and Jabari pick and rolls. GoDuke!

Edouble
01-06-2014, 07:05 PM

Agree.

I would not be surprised to see Quinn, Tyler, Andre, Rodney, and Josh start the game.

jv001
01-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Agree.

I would not be surprised to see Quinn, Tyler, Andre, Rodney, and Josh start the game.

If this is the starting lineup against GT, it's probably the best time to start those players(GT is not very good). Amile would be my choice to take Josh's place in that lineup. He can get a rebound and rebounding is one thing GT does pretty well. GoDuke!

wsb3
01-06-2014, 07:49 PM
I think Jabari starts. Still not sure he was not sick. Coach K is not big on excuses. Wasn't it when Duke lost final game when DeMarcus was a senior that he would not say anyone was sick but I read a report about how bad DeMarcus was coughing after the game. Been a while & my memory can be fuzzy.

I also remember years ago reading an article on Coach K and how his Army career meant no excuses. Seems like there was an incident where his uniform was messed up by a passing driver who splashed him with water. He had no time to change and when asked by a superior officer, his response was, "No excuses sir." Pretty sure that the writer tied that one into the Vegas blowout in 90.

Chicago 1995
01-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Agree.

But lord would I be disappointed.

johnb
01-07-2014, 12:50 AM
I'd be really surprised if Jabari's performance at Notre Dame, on CBS, was lackluster because of poor effort or inattention. I'd bet a lot of money that he felt physically horrible. Unless he's ill, he won't be benched.

Saratoga2
01-07-2014, 09:22 AM
It is time for coach K to shake up the lineup, at least at the start. There was a lot of talk in the ND game, how their small lineup hurt us, but even when we were shooting well in the first half, they stayed with us with their inside game. Only when we couldn't hit our shots in the second half did the small lineup hurt us. In my opinion, bad defense for much of the game made us porous to any lineup. So what are some of the shakeups that we could make.

1. Quinn, Rodney, Rasheed, Jabari and Amile? (most likely)
2. Quinn, Rodney, Andre, Jabari and Amile? (less likely)
3. Quinn, Rodney, Jabai, Amile and Marshall? (interesting but highly unlikely)
4. Quinn, Rodney, Andre, Rasheed and Amile? (Unlikely due to size)

At any rate, I think Quinn and Rodney are the only two sure starters against GT. Perhaps Tyler and Josh will disappear from the starting lineup.

Matches
01-07-2014, 12:47 PM
But lord would I be disappointed.

This. I'm ready for the "K benches Jabari" story to be a thing of the past. No good will come from it lingering.

Plus I think it would be kind of weird if one bad game is enough to land our best player on the bench. Really weird and kind of unsettling.

sagegrouse
01-07-2014, 01:03 PM
It is time for coach K to shake up the lineup, at least at the start. There was a lot of talk in the ND game, how their small lineup hurt us, but even when we were shooting well in the first half, they stayed with us with their inside game. Only when we couldn't hit our shots in the second half did the small lineup hurt us. In my opinion, bad defense for much of the game made us porous to any lineup. So what are some of the shakeups that we could make.

At any rate, I think Quinn and Rodney are the only two sure starters against GT. Perhaps Tyler and Josh will disappear from the starting lineup.

I am not sure if your last sentence is a wet dream or a pipe dream. I would be really surprised not to see Tyler in the starting lineup.

MCFinARL
01-07-2014, 01:08 PM
This. I'm ready for the "K benches Jabari" story to be a thing of the past. No good will come from it lingering.

Plus I think it would be kind of weird if one bad game is enough to land our best player on the bench. Really weird and kind of unsettling.

I see your point, but didn't Austin Rivers land on the bench briefly after a bad game? It's not completely unprecedented. Possibly AR had had a couple of bad games, though, not just one.

dukechem
01-07-2014, 01:10 PM
I don't remember the details, but I seem to remember K not starting Elton Brand one game after a lackluster performance.

Matches
01-07-2014, 01:15 PM
I don't remember the details, but I seem to remember K not starting Elton Brand one game after a lackluster performance.

Yea, there was one game where Brand came off the bench. AR too, though I think in both cases it was a reflection of more than one performance.

I think Jabari has done his time, though, so to speak. Pretty sure leaving him on the bench during crunch time of a tight ACC game sent whatever message needed to be sent.

Edouble
01-07-2014, 02:36 PM

I would be willing to go out on a limb and guarantee that we will see none of these starting lineups. In all four of these lineups, you are leaving our two senior captains on the bench to start a game, following a loss. As sagegrouse noted, I would be shocked to see Tyler not in the starting lineup, particularly if you are replacing him with Rasheed.

flyingdutchdevil
01-07-2014, 04:11 PM
I am not sure if your last sentence is a wet dream or a pipe dream. I would be really surprised not to see Tyler in the starting lineup.

I agree. Are you saying that you wouldn't be surprised if Hairston isn't in the starting line up or are you expecting him not to be in the starting line up?

sagegrouse
01-07-2014, 04:45 PM
I agree. Are you saying that you wouldn't be surprised if Hairston isn't in the starting line up or are you expecting him not to be in the starting line up?

The former.

Eakane
01-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Starters:
Quinn, Jabari, Hood, TT, Jefferson

Top mpg's:
Quinn, Jabari, Hood, Jefferson, Sulaimon

As someone who has been harsh towards the play and pt of JH and TT, I can only say that now, with the minutes they are playing and with the way they are playing, they are a tremendous asset to have. Whether they start or come in secnd waive doesn't matter to me.

I like seeing MPIII for a few miuntes each half, but is it me, or does his glare bear a striking resemblance to Private Pyle (Jim Cavezel) in Full Metal jacket?

wilko
01-07-2014, 05:34 PM

I hope not.
My limited observation about Jabari is that he struggles with players that are taller and longer. He has mind-boggling skills. Yet for all of his many attributes he lacks an EXPLOSIVE 1st step and High-hops. Those 2 elements would be a good 1st counter to get past height and length for many players. JP is going to find a way to play past it and develop a counter.

Thats my guess..

In this case, I think he just needs to play thru it till he figures it out

Billy Dat
01-07-2014, 05:39 PM
I like seeing MPIII for a few miuntes each half, but is it me, or does his glare bear a striking resemblance to Private Pyle (Jim Cavezel) in Full Metal jacket?

Caviezel was in a different war movie, Terry Malick's The Thin Red Line. Full Metal's Pyle was Vincent D'Onofrio.

Personally, I think MPIII looks the most like Hilary Swank (https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmQMAD8zPh4oRg0MyXR_UYDXjq62IlP _KxratGvRbZdaSxQA3K).

wilko
01-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Personally, I think MPIII looks the most like Hilary Swank (https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmQMAD8zPh4oRg0MyXR_UYDXjq62IlP _KxratGvRbZdaSxQA3K).

GAK! I can never look her the same again...

DukieInBrasil
01-07-2014, 06:03 PM
i saw that the game will be on ESPNU, will it be broadcast on any internet services? It is not going to be on ESPN3 from what i could gather.

Kedsy
01-07-2014, 06:26 PM
I hope not.
My limited observation about Jabari is that he struggles with players that are taller and longer. He has mind-boggling skills. Yet for all of his many attributes he lacks an EXPLOSIVE 1st step and High-hops. Those 2 elements would be a good 1st counter to get past height and length for many players. JP is going to find a way to play past it and develop a counter.

Jabari lacks high hops? How does he reach all those alley-oops thrown behind his head then?

Personally, I don't think Jabari's defensive problems are due to his not being able to guard taller and longer players. Sometimes that's true, as we saw a few times with Notre Dame's Sherman, but it's not the main problem. Sometimes his man drives past him, but that's not his main problem, either. As someone else in the thread said, he plays a lot of center field on D, not paying enough attention to his own man (and thus makes it necessary for other Duke defenders to compensate and possibly lose their men). He also sometimes doubles at inopportune moments, again leaving his own man free. He doesn't rotate very well. He seems to lose defensive focus.

So rather than attribute his defensive struggles to a lack of anything physical, I think the problems are mostly with defensive focus, knowledge, and intensity, in short mostly in his head. The good news is that all those things are fixable. I agree with you there's a good chance he finds a way past it and improves on the defensive end. When he does, Duke will become a much better team.

riverside6
01-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/GT, starters posted. Sulaimon and Jefferson starting once again...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=20034

DukieInBrasil
01-07-2014, 07:16 PM
slow start overall, particularly by Jabari, but after about the 16 minute mark we're starting to pick it back up.
Dre hits his first shot, a 3. Sulaimon also hits his first shot, a 3.

dukelifer
01-07-2014, 07:17 PM
Poor execution again. Not sure what is going on with this team.

FerryFor50
01-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Maybe if Jabari keeps finding himself on the wrong side of the highlights by being dunked on, he'll start playing better defense.

Going to need to learn not to go after every shot block or steal. Positioning is key at this level.

_Gary
01-07-2014, 07:32 PM
It's really been tough watching the defense this year. We just seem to give up so many points in the paint. And it comes in all different shapes and sizes. We get beat off the dribble by a quick point guard. We see teams throw it into the paint and score. We see backdoors. It's just coming from everywhere and it's been that way just about the entire season. Not really sure what the answer is, but right now most of the things we've tried just aren't working. It's painful to watch at the moment.

FerryFor50
01-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Am liking the effort on the boards tonight. GT is one of the better offensive rebounding teams and Duke has held them to none so far.

Then of course, as I post, they allow one on a FT.

FerryFor50
01-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Not sure why Cook holds the ball so much late in the shot clock... Pass to an open man!

El_Diablo
01-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Pressure out to 40 feet...why???

arnie
01-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Poor execution again. Not sure what is going on with this team.

We are half way through the regular season and I'm not watching a particularly good ACC calibre team. This team was overrated at the beginning and unless the pieces come together quickly, don't expect a top 3-4 finish in conference. Simply don't play effective D.

DukieInBrasil
01-07-2014, 07:47 PM
This game would be pretty ugly right about now if it wasn't for the FTs, which we've hit at a very high rate, and also b/c several of their players have 2 PFs already. Otherwise, GT is outplaying us in every way. Scorching FG%, outrebounding us and they're "out-assisting" us. Looks like many of the same culprits in the ND game have returned: poor defense and too much one-on-one offense.

CDu
01-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Well, the folks who desired Thornton and Hairston to get less playing time have gotten their wish. Hairston has barely seen the floor and Thornton only slightly more.

This hasn't exactly been the "bounceback" game I was hoping for. Struggling.

CLW
01-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Top 25 streak in jeopardy the way the team is playing now.

Parker appears ill and/or has hit "the freshman wall". He is a poor defender to begin with and when he forces his offense taking bad shots he's a real liability out on the court.

100.6 points per 100 possessions on D at the half against a fairly poor team.

Thankfully, Rodney Hood has showed up otherwise we'd be down 10 at the half.

_Gary
01-07-2014, 07:53 PM
I freely admit my memory isn't what it used to be, but I can't remember a worse Duke team in terms of consistently giving up points in the paint. And it comes both from dribble penetration and from simple, yet solid, passes into the post. It's just really a deep concern in my book. If we don't stop pressuring so far out (which hasn't resulted in that many turnovers this season, imho) I don't see this getting any better any time soon. We are too small, and not turning the ball over enough, to keep playing the kind of pressure defense we are trying to execute without continuing to get dominated in the paint.

Furniture
01-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Well, the folks who desired Thornton and Hairston to get less playing time have gotten their wish. Hairston has barely seen the floor and Thornton only slightly more.

This hasn't exactly been the "bounceback" game I was hoping for. Struggling.
Perhaps because Josh was -6 in one minute and K listens to this board after all. Thought so....

Karl Beem
01-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Now our problem is offense - Tech has just 33 pts.

CLW
01-07-2014, 07:54 PM
I freely admit my memory isn't what it used to be, but I can't remember a worse Duke team in terms of consistently giving up points in the paint. And it comes both from dribble penetration and from simple, yet solid, passes into the post. It's just really a deep concern in my book. If we don't stop pressuring so far out (which hasn't resulted in that many turnovers this season, imho) I don't see this getting any better any time soon. We are too small, and not turning the ball over enough, to keep playing the kind of pressure defense we are trying to execute without continuing to get dominated in the paint.

2011-2012 was REALLY bad on D but I believe this team is going to end up as one of if not the worst defensive team during the K era.

Kfanarmy
01-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Stay between your man and the rim. Good lord over and over again two, even three guys following one GT Player. Pass the ball on O. Good gracious they look inept tonight.

_Gary
01-07-2014, 07:57 PM
2011-2012 was REALLY bad on D but I believe this team is going to end up as one of if not the worst defensive team during the K era.

But at least we had some legit size in terms of post defense back then. Right now we are asking our star freshman, or a thin but gallant Jefferson, to play against the big boys on the other team. And that's just too tall an order, imho (no pun intended).

jipops
01-07-2014, 07:57 PM

Actually, that team faded on D around the end, and that was largely due to Kelly being hurt.

This team has had sporadic success on D.

CDu
01-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Now our problem is offense - Tech has just 33 pts.

Point totals aren't necessarily the best measure of defensive performance. Pace factors into point totals. Tech is shooting 53.6% from the field so far. Offense AND defense have not been good for us so far tonight.

CLW
01-07-2014, 08:02 PM
But at least we had some legit size in terms of post defense back then. Right now we are asking our star freshman, or a thin but gallant Jefferson, to play against the big boys on the other team. And that's just too tall an order, imho (no pun intended).

Yes and no. MP2 and Kelly were certainly bigger but neither is was a "rim protector" that blocked allot of shots/erased our guards getting blown by on the dribble/drive.

Actually, that team faded on D around the end, and that was largely due to Kelly being hurt.

This team has had sporadic success on D.

Maybe I am mis-remembering. As I recall, there certainly was a fade at the end but prior to that they certainly were not even close to a Top 25 rated defense in terms of efficiency.

El_Diablo
01-07-2014, 08:03 PM

If only we had a seven footer just sitting on the bench!

_Gary
01-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Yes and no. MP2 and Kelly were certainly bigger but neither is was a "rim protector" that blocked allot of shots/erased our guards getting blown by on the dribble/drive.

They may have not been all-world in that category, but I certainly remember both guys getting some blocks. Certainly much more so than what we are getting out of our interior guys this year. And remember, even if it's not a block in the books, influencing the shot counts too. And size makes a big difference there. I'd love to have either guy on this year's team. I think it'd make a huge difference just in terms of quality size defensively.

_Gary
01-07-2014, 08:07 PM
If only we had a seven footer just sitting on the bench!

Are you being serious or sarcastic? [Honest question]

Furniture
01-07-2014, 08:08 PM
At last a smile! Luvley jubbly!

CDu
01-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Finally, a little spurtability. We caught a break with Miller missing that dunk (though he was due after hitting a turnaround jumper from 15 feet). And since then we've caught a bit of fire.

FerryFor50
01-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Better start to the half. Better decisions. Better defense.

Let's keep it up!

FerryFor50
01-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Finally, a little spurtability. We caught a break with Miller missing that dunk (though he was due after hitting a turnaround jumper from 15 feet). And since then we've caught a bit of fire.

He's hit 3 tough shots. Two turnarounds (guarded) and a running sky hook.

CDu
01-07-2014, 08:14 PM
He's hit 3 tough shots. Two turnarounds (guarded) and a running sky hook.

I don't agree about the hook. That was wide open from about 8-10 feet. That's a pretty easy shot. The two jumpers were definitely tough shots.

FerryFor50
01-07-2014, 08:16 PM
I don't agree about the hook. That was wide open from about 8-10 feet. That's a pretty easy shot. The two jumpers were definitely tough shots.

Running sky hooks aren't really that easy, unguarded or not. :)

CDu
01-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Running sky hooks aren't really that easy, unguarded or not. :)

Agree to disagree - see, Mason Plumlee.

_Gary
01-07-2014, 08:17 PM

Right. The hook was a very easy shot. Jabari leaving him for no good reason didn't hurt either.

uh_no
01-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Agree to disagree - see, Mason Plumlee.

and it took him 4 years before he was able to hit it with any consistency....it's not an easy shot....

El_Diablo
01-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Are you being serious or sarcastic? [Honest question]

Marshall Plumlee has size. He blocked a shot within seconds of getting into the game. But alas, he got his two minutes, so back to the bench until next game.

CDu
01-07-2014, 08:19 PM
and it took him 4 years before he was able to hit it with any consistency....it's not an easy shot....

And Miller is a fifth-year senior, so...

A wide-open sweeping hook shot from 8 feet is not that tough. On top of that, even a miss there is likely to result in a bucket because there was nobody between Miller in the basket. In terms of "catching a tough break on defense," nothing about that bucket qualifies.

_Gary
01-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Marshall Plumlee has size. He blocked a shot within seconds of getting into the game. But alas, he got his two minutes, so back to the bench until next game.

Okay. Just wanted to be sure. For the record, I agree. I'd like to see Marshall get a few more minutes at this point. We are still getting destroyed in the paint.

CDu
01-07-2014, 08:21 PM
There's the Georgia Tech I was looking for!

uh_no
01-07-2014, 08:22 PM
And Miller is a fifth-year senior, so...

A wide-open sweeping hook shot from 8 feet is not that tough. On top of that, even a miss there is likely to result in a bucket because there was nobody between Miller in the basket.

welp, if you're sure miller is the same caliber of player as mason was, then i guess i can't argue with you here...you're right....every player who has been in a program for 4-5 years should be able to hit the sky hook with ease.

FerryFor50
01-07-2014, 08:23 PM
welp, if you're sure miller is the same caliber of player as mason was, then i guess i can't argue with you here...you're right....every player who has been in a program for 4-5 years should be able to hit the sky hook with ease.

Hey, Kareem could hit it, so why not Miller? :p

CDu
01-07-2014, 08:23 PM
This Georgia Tech team would look much better with Robert Carter as their starting PF instead of Holsey. Holsey is a really mediocre player, and they have no size after him.

DukeDevil
01-07-2014, 08:24 PM
I think we found our fix, just keep letting Dawkins drive and draw fouls...he's been great with body positioning to draw the call.

CDu
01-07-2014, 08:26 PM

I was being sarcastic. It didn't take Mason 4 years to learn to hit a wide open sweeping hook. It took him 4 years to learn to set up the hook and hit it even with defenders on his shoulder. No, Miller is not NEARLY as good as Mason. But he's spent 4+ years practicing and playing in the post at the ACC level. It's not unreasonable to think he's learned how to hit an uncontested sweeping hook during that time.

And how about the second point of my post? We're talking about catching breaks or getting lucky. That play did not constitute getting unlucky.

_Gary
01-07-2014, 08:27 PM

I think the hook, especially the running hook, can vary in terms of how "easy" it is based on the player and their natural movement. If you are fluid it's easier. I loved the hook shot when I played in high school. Never found it that hard. The big thing about it is if you get bumped the shot becomes so much harder. Miller's hook was so easy because Jabari left him and there was no body up on him when he made the move and the follow through. That's why that particular hook wasn't hard, imho.

CDu
01-07-2014, 08:30 PM
I think the hook, especially the running hook, can vary in terms of how "easy" it is based on the player and their natural movement. If you are fluid it's easier. I loved the hook shot when I played in high school. Never found it that hard. The big thing about it is if you get bummed the shot becomes so much harder. Miller's hook was so easy because Jabari left him and there was no body up on him when he made the move and the follow through. That's why that particular hook wasn't hard, imho.

Exactly. What made Mason's hook more impressive was that he usually had a guy on his shoulder when he took the shot (and often had a guard swatting at him from up top as he dribbled in. Miller was directly in front of the basket, inside of 10 feet, and had nobody within 5 feet of him. Easy shot. Easy chance to score.

_Gary
01-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Exactly. What made Mason's hook more impressive was that he usually had a guy on his shoulder when he took the shot (and often had a guard swatting at him from up top as he dribbled in. Miller was directly in front of the basket, inside of 10 feet, and had nobody within 5 feet of him. Easy shot. Easy chance to score.

Agreed on all points.

CDu
01-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Finally, we stopped Miller on a post play! Well, sort of anyway. He technically just traveled on his own volition. But I'll take it. Post defense, huzzah!

FerryFor50
01-07-2014, 08:34 PM
I was being sarcastic. It didn't take Mason 4 years to learn to hit a wide open sweeping hook. It took him 4 years to learn to set up the hook and hit it even with defenders on his shoulder. No, Miller is not NEARLY as good as Mason. But he's spent 4+ years practicing and playing in the post at the ACC level. It's not unreasonable to think he's learned how to hit an uncontested sweeping hook during that time.

And how about the second point of my post? We're talking about catching breaks or getting lucky. That play did not constitute getting unlucky.

I never said Miller got lucky or caught a break. I said it was a tough shot, regardless of the defense.

CDu
01-07-2014, 08:35 PM
I never said Miller got lucky or caught a break. I said it was a tough shot, regardless of the defense.

And I said agree to disagree. I don't think it was a tough shot, for the reasons that I (and Gary) have said.

NYBri
01-07-2014, 08:37 PM
This team looks a little lost. Unsure passes, shooting and defense. Reminds me of the run up to Lehigh.

CDu
01-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Thank you, Mr. Hood!

arnie
01-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Finally, we stopped Miller on a post play! Well, sort of anyway. He technically just traveled on his own volition. But I'll take it. Post defense, huzzah!

Hood carrying us again!

CDu
01-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Elmore only occasionally makes good points, but he has one thing correct: Tech has missed an opportunity to forcefeed the ball to Miller inside. We've had no answer for him when he has posted up tonight.

_Gary
01-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Loving Andre's game tonight! Great pass to Amile just now!

DukieInBrasil
01-07-2014, 08:46 PM

was getting ready to say the same thing. In the past an off-shooting night like tonight would have meant Andre would disappear. Instead he's getting to the line, and making hustle plays like the block, steal, rebounds and assist that he has come up with so far. Very good game from Dre so far.

NYBri
01-07-2014, 08:48 PM

QC needs to look for that pick and roll pass.

CDu
01-07-2014, 08:48 PM
I said in the Phase Post that I was concerned about Hood getting out of his funk. Needless to say, he has alleviated that concern. Entirely.

CDu
01-07-2014, 08:49 PM
And finally, a legitimate stop of a post attempt!

DukieInBrasil
01-07-2014, 08:51 PM
also nice to see in this game is the balanced scoring. Hood with 20+ and 4 other guys with 10+, and Amile with 6.

Furniture
01-07-2014, 08:51 PM
Amile is a beast tonight too!