PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC - 1/6-1/12

pfrduke
01-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Duke, NC State, and UNC are all 0-1 in conference. That has never happened before.* Welcome to the new ACC. In other news, kudos to the Big East contingent, which started out 3-0; to Maryland, which sits atop the ACC (a statement that I suspect will no longer be true 12 hours from now); to Virginia and Clemson for taking care of business on the road, something that has plagued both teams in recent history; and, of course, to Wake for beating the Heels.

*It's possible I missed a year, but using a combination of Pomeroy and Charlie Board's old ACC site, I didn't identify a single season where all three teams started ACC play 0-1.

Non-conference play is officially in the books until mid-March, and I think the less said about that the better. After this week, the records at the bottom of the page will go into archive.

Monday now has ACC conference basketball games for the first time in who knows how long**. As previewed above, the Terps are in action, on the road at Pitt, which continues to impress. They turned State over (and over and over) on Saturday storming back from an early double-digit deficit to win going away.

**I suspect someone knows how long and hope that said someone replies in this thread with that information

[8]Pittsburgh hosts [64]Maryland (7, ESPN2)***

***At the request of a poster, TV times now included (all times Eastern). Because I use ESPN as my schedule source, I'm only including ESPN and CBS broadcast information - other channels may be available. (Check your local listings)

Tuesday gets the Devils back in action with a home game against a somewhat depleted Georgia Tech team as they look to stave off an 0-2 start. Syracuse hits the road for the first time, although it should not be an arduous trip, while State travels into the Joyce Center, hoping that someone other than TJ Warren finally decides they want to help out.

[15]Duke hosts [110]Georgia Tech (7, ESPNU)
[124]Virginia Tech hosts [6]Syracuse (9, ESPN3)
[53]Notre Dame hosts [83]NC State (9, ESPN3)

Wednesday is UVA's home opener. They get a Demon Deacon squad coming off a good win at home but that has struggled away from Lawrence Joel. UNC gets what should be an easier matchup, hosting the Hurricanes, although after they almost took Syracuse out at the Carrier Dome this weekend, you never really know.

[32]Virginia hosts [75]Wake Forest (7, ESPN3)
[25]North Carolina hosts [86]Miami (9, ESPN2)

Thursday puts FSU on the road at Clemson. The Seminoles are the one ACC team that really exceeded expectations in pre-conference play, but they're in danger of starting the ACC season 0-2 if they can't come out of this with a win. Clemson, already sitting at 1-0 and with 3 of its next 4 at home (and the 1 road game in Blacksburg) has a chance to make some noise early in the conference season if it can string a few wins together.

[35]Clemson hosts [39]Florida State (7, ESPN3)

Friday is dark.

Saturday starts things off with a bang - UNC and Syracuse in the Carrier Dome. Given Carolina's MO so far this year (i.e., get up for the really good opponents), I expect this one to be a very tight affair. Also, Carolina's size and rebounding could give Syracuse fits. Notre Dame gets a trip to Georgia Tech as its first ACC road game (not a bad draw). BC travels to Virginia Tech, and the less said about that the better. Pitt hosts Wake - that win over UNC was very important for the Deacs given the difficulty of their early schedule; 0-3 looked like a very likely result before Sunday's triumph. Clemson has a high Pomeroy ranking, but to date they've dominated bad teams while losing to good ones (except Auburn, which is a bad team that they lost to). A win over Duke in Littlejohn would put some teeth behind their early numbers. Capping it off, Virginia hits the road to take on NC State - State follows this game with trips to Wake and Duke and doesn't really get a break until Georgia Tech comes to town the last weekend of the month. Beating Virginia is a must if they hope to make any kind of noise in the conference race.

[6]Syracuse hosts [25]North Carolina (12, ESPN)
[110]Georgia Tech hosts [53]Notre Dame (12, ESPN3)
[8]Pittsburgh hosts [75]Wake Forests (12, ESPN3)
[124]Virginia Tech hosts [152]Boston College (12, ESPN3)
[35]Clemson hosts [16]Duke (2, ESPN3)
[83]NC State hosts [32]Virginia (5, ESPN2)

Sunday sends the Terps to Tallahassee for a date with the Noles.

[39]Florida State hosts [64]Maryland (8, ESPNU)

ACC Non-Conference Record: 138-53
ACC Record vs. BCS: 29-33
America East: 3-0
American Athletic: 4-5
Atlantic Sun: 8-1
Atlantic Ten: 9-8
Big 12: 3-3
Big East: 3-4
Big South: 14-0
Big Ten: 8-9
Big West: 3-0
Colonial: 4-0
CUSA: 8-1
Horizon: 3-1
Ivy: 2-1
MAAC: 2-0
MAC: 3-1
MEAC: 12-1
Missouri Valley: 3-1
Mountain West: 1-0
Northeast: 3-1
Ohio Valley: 3-1
Pac-12: 6-3
Patriot: 7-1
SEC: 5-9
Southern: 15-1
Southland: 1-0
Summit: 0-1
SWAC: 2-0
West Coast: 2-0
Non D-I: 1-0

pfrduke
01-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Maryland, which sits atop the ACC (a statement that I suspect will no longer be true 12 hours from now)

And so it was written, and so it shall come to pass. Pitt 79, Maryland 59. I don't understand how Pitt is 30th in the AP poll - the voters must really dislike their schedule (which is at least somewhat justified - Pomeroy has the non-conference SOS as 297th).

Troublemaker
01-07-2014, 09:40 AM
And so it was written, and so it shall come to pass. Pitt 79, Maryland 59. I don't understand how Pitt is 30th in the AP poll - the voters must really dislike their schedule (which is at least somewhat justified - Pomeroy has the non-conference SOS as 297th).

It's crazy. Pitt is now the #5 Pomeroy team, and with a favorable schedule, is projected by Pomeroy to go 14-4 in the ACC. They are the biggest threat to Duke for the ACC reg season crown, especially since we only play them on the road with no return game in Cameron. Syracuse is the #2 threat (projected 13-5).

ncexnyc
01-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Nice game at South Bend, with State taking a 39-36 lead into the half, thanks to a Cat Barber 3 at the buzzer.

State mauling the Irish on the boards 23 to 13.

Sherman having another decent game, 13 pts and 7 boards.

Duvall
01-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Nice game at South Bend, with State taking a 39-36 lead into the half, thanks to a Cat Barber 3 at the buzzer.

State mauling the Irish on the boards 23 to 13.

Sherman having another decent game, 13 pts and 7 boards.

A disappointing effort from a team the game after upsetting Duke? That *is* a surprise.

devildeac
01-07-2014, 10:47 PM
The Wolfpack leads at ND, 67-63 with less than 3 minutes to go. Oh, my!

Duvall
01-07-2014, 10:49 PM
Nobody sells T-shirts for beating NC State.

FerryFor50
01-07-2014, 11:11 PM
Sherman had an even better game against NCSU. 21pts, 18 boards, 4 assists. Fear the beard!

Troublemaker
01-08-2014, 08:53 PM
UVA has bounced back extremely well from getting blown out by Tennessee a couple games ago.

First, the Cavaliers won comfortably at FSU despite getting only 2 minutes from Joe Harris (concussion precaution). Then tonight at home, they are absolutely eviscerating Wake right now, winning 74-49 as I type this.

Duke's next two games (@Clemson, UVA) will firmly test our Devils. I would be surprised if UVA, even in Cameron, doesn't give us a very tough game.

Duvall
01-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Nobody rolls the quad for beating Virginia.

CDu
01-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Let's go 'Canes!