PDA

View Full Version : Déjà vu

DukeDevilDeb
01-05-2014, 10:31 AM
As I sat and watched the Notre Dame game yesterday, I kept saying to myself... "I've seen this before... scoring early in the game, the lead at the half... the other team coming out of halftime more determined... they start scoring, we stop scoring... down to a potential win on the last play AND... nothing... we lose..."

I've seen this before. I wracked my brain to figure out where it was. Arizona? Kansas? Vermont?

And then, in a moment of heuristic insight...

It was in the Chick-fil-a Bowl... yesterday's game was an eerie replication of what had happened with the Duke football team. Good scoring in the first half (38-17 which wasn't as close as the 37-35 lead against Notre Dame); some good defense as well. Then A&M came out after the half and seemed to take over... lots of places where we should have stopped Manziel (Atkins in bball) but couldn't. And the missed final opportunity at the end.

I thought Rodney might pull it off, but he got too far under the basket and turned it over... a lot like Boone's pick.

Man, two games in a row following such a pattern... déjà vu! I hope to never see this happen again.

Mods, if this needs to go somewhere else, please feel free to move.

nyesq83
01-05-2014, 06:01 PM
As I sat and watched the Notre Dame game yesterday, I kept saying to myself... "I've seen this before... scoring early in the game, the lead at the half... the other team coming out of halftime more determined... they start scoring, we stop scoring... down to a potential win on the last play AND... nothing... we lose..."

I've seen this before. I wracked my brain to figure out where it was. Arizona? Kansas? Vermont?

And then, in a moment of heuristic insight...

It was in the Chick-fil-a Bowl... yesterday's game was an eerie replication of what had happened with the Duke football team. Good scoring in the first half (38-17 which wasn't as close as the 37-35 lead against Notre Dame); some good defense as well. Then A&M came out after the half and seemed to take over... lots of places where we should have stopped Manziel (Atkins in bball) but couldn't. And the missed final opportunity at the end.

I thought Rodney might pull it off, but he got too far under the basket and turned it over... a lot like Boone's pick.

Man, two games in a row following such a pattern... déjà vu! I hope to never see this happen again.

Mods, if this needs to go somewhere else, please feel free to move.

I felt the same way, but turned it off early because I knew once ND came back and took the lead, we were doomed.

Furniture
01-05-2014, 06:03 PM
The couple of differences I see is that I thought the football team dominated their first half. I think the basketball team were very lucky to be in front by half time. The other is that the basketball game score was a relatively small one. So, no déjà vu to me.

GGLC
01-05-2014, 06:17 PM
You want a true déjà vu, try the Chick-Fil-A Bowl and yesterday's Chiefs/Colts game. As a Duke fan AND a Chiefs fan, that was a painful thing to relive.

billy
01-05-2014, 07:39 PM
As a Duke fan AND a Chiefs fan:

I thought I was the only one of those - good to know....

mattman91
01-05-2014, 08:47 PM

Add my uncle to that list...you know what? I think he is the only Chiefs fan I know.

GGLC
01-05-2014, 10:15 PM

I'm actually a 49ers fan first and foremost, but a huge Alex Smith fan too (how could anyone not be who knows his story?). The Chiefs seem like they've got a great organization, and they've become my team 1b this year.

Des Esseintes
01-06-2014, 01:35 AM
I'm actually a 49ers fan first and foremost, but a huge Alex Smith fan too (how could anyone not be who knows his story?). The Chiefs seem like they've got a great organization, and they've become my team 1b this year.

That game was... rough. This whole season has felt like a lovely reward for our collective durance under Scott Pioli, and I thought I would be happy with anything that could happen in the playoffs. With their wonted ingenuity, the Chiefs managed to locate and stab my soft underbelly anyway.

jv001
01-06-2014, 07:29 AM
We're a football school,lol. I came away from the two games with this thought. We should have won the football game, but we should have lost the basketball game. GoDuke!

DukeDevilDeb
01-06-2014, 09:39 AM
We're a football school,lol. I came away from the two games with this thought. We should have won the football game, but we should have lost the basketball game. GoDuke!

Excellent point, jv001! You are right. We had the football game with a three touchdown lead... it was ours to win. In the basketball game, we were very lucky to take a lead into halftime. I really thought that last score would motivate the guys, that Coach would make adjustments at the half, and that we would come out and play Duke Basketball. Didn't happen. Why isn't Miles here when we need him? :)

johnb
01-06-2014, 11:49 AM
there are only so many ways a game can go.

we were ahead, then fell behind, and lost (ie, +, -, -).
assuming you can't get ahead and get more ahead and lose (i.e., +, +, -),
the only options are -, -, - and -, +, -.

Our best player must have been sick. We lost by 2 against a very good team. Were people expecting an undefeated season from here on out?

I'm a bit bummed that our streak in the top 10 will end (and I'd prefer that we would be so good that we could lose a top contender for NPOY without losing a beat), but as losses go, this was not a big one for me.

DukieInKansas
01-06-2014, 03:03 PM
You want a true déjà vu, try the Chick-Fil-A Bowl and yesterday's Chiefs/Colts game. As a Duke fan AND a Chiefs fan, that was a painful thing to relive.

Add my uncle to that list...you know what? I think he is the only Chiefs fan I know.

That game was... rough. This whole season has felt like a lovely reward for our collective durance under Scott Pioli, and I thought I would be happy with anything that could happen in the playoffs. With their wonted ingenuity, the Chiefs managed to locate and stab my soft underbelly anyway.

I have company! Although I will always count myself as a Steelers fan, I had chiefs season tickets for 29 years - until they priced themselves out of the market.

I was working at church so wasn't watching the game. Went online to listen during half time. I decided I was bringing the chiefs bad luck so turned it off after the 2nd Colts score in the 2nd half. Went home to watch the recording of the Duke ND bball game late Saturday night. Watched a lot of the game in fast forward.

I have, once again taken away the capital letter, but haven't taken away their I. Let's see next year, if they will get their capital C back.

jv001
01-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Excellent point, jv001! You are right. We had the football game with a three touchdown lead... it was ours to win. In the basketball game, we were very lucky to take a lead into halftime. I really thought that last score would motivate the guys, that Coach would make adjustments at the half, and that we would come out and play Duke Basketball. Didn't happen. Why isn't Miles here when we need him? :)

Yes, the now Miles would make a world of difference on this Duke team. GoDuke!

Duvall
01-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Yes, the now Miles would make a world of difference on this Duke team. GoDuke!

The then-Miles would probably make a significant difference, for that matter.

jv001
01-06-2014, 05:56 PM
The then-Miles would probably make a significant difference, for that matter.

I agree the then Miles would make a significant difference. He played very well his senior year. GoDuke!

mkirsh
01-06-2014, 10:20 PM
The only deja-vu I'm having, and it makes me sick to my stomach just to type this, is 1994-1995.

In 1994...

We had just come off our most successful football season in a long time, losing a bowl game to a traditional football power
We replaced 2 senior forwards and a senior guard (Hill, Lang, Clark) with a heralded 3 person recruiting class (Langdon, Price, Wojo)
We had a sophomore big transfer mid season (Beard)
We were ranked top 10 preseason, climbed as high as #6, were #7 in the last poll before the calendar turned, and dropped to #16 by the second poll of Jan
We entered Jan at 9-2, and then lost our ACC opener on 1/4 and then faced Georgia Tech on 1/7

And that is hopefully where the similarities* end, as we lost to GT that year and then the wheels totally fell off. Need to beat GT tomorrow to break the cycle!

*Admittedly a few stretches in here, but still a bit of an eerie pattern