duke96
01-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Down 5 to Miami with 6mins to play

Duvall
01-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Syracuse blowout win now assured.

Mabdul Doobakus
01-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Pretty amazing that Miami is even this close. Their point guard is an 18 year old from Belgium.

Tough start to ACC play for Miami, too. First 6 games include home-and-home with Syracuse, at UNC, and home against Duke. Have fun with that.

CDu
01-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Someday folks will learn not to mention this type of thing until AFTER the game is decided.

duke96
01-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Someday folks will learn not to mention this type of thing until AFTER the game is decided.

Thought that folks might want to know there is a great conference game worth watching the last few minutes of. You had Miami straight up and think I influenced the outcome? Terribly sorry, you can invoice me.

Ultrarunner
01-04-2014, 04:08 PM

Someday folks will develop a sense of humor - but I'm not holding my breath. Until then . . .

Furniture
01-04-2014, 04:13 PM
It was my fault. I started watching the game.:cool:

brevity
01-04-2014, 04:16 PM

Thought that folks might want to know there is a great conference game worth watching the last few minutes of. You had Miami straight up and think I influenced the outcome? Terribly sorry, you can invoice me.

There is a long and glorious tradition of superstition in sports, and DBR is no different. Upset alert threads are a bad idea, time and time again. The sentiment here is not at all about gambling, or even Miami, but about the ACC race and Syracuse's role in it. If you don't think that matters, you're welcome to that opinion, but note how few of us will share it.

The lesson here is to put up the thread once the upset (or near-upset) is complete, and inform readers of what they missed. Besides, no one should get their programming info of a Miami-Syracuse game from here anyway.

weezie
01-04-2014, 04:33 PM

Someday soon, going with that.

awhom111
01-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Based on what actually happened in the game, I submit that the thread title should have been: Welcome Back to the Old Big East Miami?

gep
01-04-2014, 10:58 PM
Based on what actually happened in the game, I submit that the thread title should have been: Welcome Back to the Old Big East Miami?

Is Syracuse now the favorite to win the ACC:confused:

Tappan Zee Devil
01-04-2014, 11:34 PM

yes, I guess so.

uh_no
01-04-2014, 11:45 PM

they were a quite "safe" mathematical favorite even before today

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/conference_race_simulations_part_iii

winning the conference 40% of the time, with pitt winning 20%....here's the breakdown of 10000 simulations:

Syracuse4032
Pittsburgh2141
Duke1727
North Carolina1085
Florida St.471
Clemson250
the restthe rest

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Just to play, ahem, devil's advocate... I didn't realize the game was close until I saw this board. I was at work and appreciated the head's up.

Now, I do understand the jinx mind you. I would wag my finger at a thread teasing a potenial UNC loss. Perhaps I simply haven't yet made the mental leap that Syracuse are conference rivals now.

Go Duke!

OldPhiKap
01-05-2014, 12:36 PM
Just to play, ahem, devil's advocate... I didn't realize the game was close until I saw this board. I was at work and appreciated the head's up.

Now, I do understand the jinx mind you. I would wag my finger at a thread teasing a potenial UNC loss. Perhaps I simply haven't yet made the mental leap that Syracuse are conference rivals now.

Go Duke!

I sometimes hear of a good finish to watch from these threads. Although, the odds are that he favored team will eventually win. So there's no problem with starting these threads IMO and I appreciate them. Just gotta be ready for some good-natured ribbing.

Except for Arnie_is_king, who truly hates Christmas and puppies.

(At least, I think it was his/her thread that generated that comment, sorry if I have misattributed).

FerryFor50
01-05-2014, 12:39 PM
I sometimes hear of a good finish to watch from these threads. Although, the odds are that he favored team will eventually win. So there's no problem with starting these threads IMO and I appreciate them. Just gotta be ready for some good-natured ribbing.

(At least, I think it was his/her thread that generated that comment, sorry if I have misattributed).

No that was devildeac, who passed the mantle on to arnie...

duke96
01-05-2014, 01:17 PM
No that was devildeac, who passed the mantle on to arnie...

Thanks y'all. I did specifically avoid making reference to an "upset" alert or the like. However I won't be doing that again anyhow given how strongly some people apparently feel about this. As i told Brevity directly, i did appreciate his constructive articulation of at least some people's view of such things. I have also noted well regarded posters doing this in the past, somwtimes less subtly (although perhaps not the full aftermath thereof!). I must say it can be hard sometimes on this board for the well-intentioned to figure out how to become welcome contributors.

In any casef the board has an official position on this it might be worth communicating that. I'm pretry sure i've read all the rules. i for one would be happy to be made aware of a close game worth watching. Clearly many disagree.

And - Apologies for my prior snarkiness, I guess "a snark for snark" probably not the most constructive approach.

-jk
01-05-2014, 04:42 PM
There is no official position on these sorts of threads. As is true of many sports communities, we seem to have a superstitious cohort here. (I have my rituals...)

-jk

CDu
01-05-2014, 04:54 PM
Thanks y'all. I did specifically avoid making reference to an "upset" alert or the like. However I won't be doing that again anyhow given how strongly some people apparently feel about this. As i told Brevity directly, i did appreciate his constructive articulation of at least some people's view of such things. I have also noted well regarded posters doing this in the past, somwtimes less subtly (although perhaps not the full aftermath thereof!). I must say it can be hard sometimes on this board for the well-intentioned to figure out how to become welcome contributors.

In any casef the board has an official position on this it might be worth communicating that. I'm pretry sure i've read all the rules. i for one would be happy to be made aware of a close game worth watching. Clearly many disagree.

And - Apologies for my prior snarkiness, I guess "a snark for snark" probably not the most constructive approach.

My post wasn't snark. It was intended as jest. It is just a running joke. Sorry you misunderstood the tongue-in-cheek nature of my post. I will try to remember to add a smiley face or something next time.

OldPhiKap
01-05-2014, 05:52 PM

Please keep posting, there is nothing wrong with your OP. It is good-natured ribbing that sometimes is hard to tell until you interact with the posters here a bit. I started a similar thread on the UNC-UAB game.

Of course, since UNC went on to lose that, we've established my omnipotence and jinx-defying abilities. But I'm special that way.

(And although I do hate Christmas in its current form, and am not real fond of puppies, any offense to anyone from one of my posts is generally unintentional).

Ggallagher
01-05-2014, 06:57 PM

Just wanted to say that I appreciate the "heads up" whenever there's an interesting game in progress. And sadly it's too bad that the whole "upset" thing keeps popping up.

Seems pretty silly to me - I do wish it worked though. I'll guarantee you that as the Notre Dame game progressed there were sports bulletin boards lighting up all over the place with "Turn on the TV - Duke's getting beat" messages.

Didn't seem to help us at all.

arnie
01-05-2014, 07:23 PM

Yea, you got it right - I tried to sneak it in on another thread, but got caught. I'm back to petting my cat and Bah Humbug.

OldPhiKap
01-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Yea, you got it right - I tried to sneak it in on another thread, but got caught. I'm back to petting my cat and Bah Humbug.

Arnie, watching the ND game:

(Approximated)

;-)