PDA

View Full Version : Arizona-Washington State

Wander
01-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Everyone needs to know about this game. Some fun facts:

> Arizona had quadruple WSU's score at halftime.
> WSU went more than 13 minutes before getting their first basket.
> WSU's leading scorer had 6 points (his 4 rebounds also led the team).
> Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood EACH had more points against Arizona than WSU's five starters had combined.
> Parker has had 11 games outscoring all five WSU starters combined and 3 games outscoring the entire WSU team combined.

Newton_14
01-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Here's the link to the box score. 60-25 (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400506075). As bad as WSU was, Zona did not exactly set the world on fire. They had one player in double figures with 11. So a BCS games saw one player in double figures, one team with 7 points at halftime, and 25 total. Zona was up by 21 at the half despite only having a modest 28 points themselves. Bizarre game!

sagegrouse
01-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Here's the link to the box score. 60-25 (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400506075). As bad as WSU was, Zona did not exactly set the world on fire. They had one player in double figures with 11. So a BCS games saw one player in double figures, one team with 7 points at halftime, and 25 total. Zona was up by 21 at the half despite only having a modest 28 points themselves. Bizarre game!

60-25? Heck, that's a Duke football score.

Newton_14
01-03-2014, 11:28 AM
60-25? Heck, that's a Duke football score.

Halftime was 28-7, so we saw some FG's in the second half!

ricks68
01-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Halftime was 28-7, so we saw some FG's in the second half!

I thought the 4-corners had been outlawed back in the (my) day.

ricks

Newton_14
01-03-2014, 10:26 PM
I thought the 4-corners had been outlawed back in the (my) day.

ricks

Yeah, the 7 points immediately reminded me of the infamous 7-0 halftime score game in the former greatest rivalry in sports (sorry unc but it can't be the greatest rivalry in sports any longer until you guys fess up and clean up the mess that is university of north carolina at chapel hill athletics scandal)

For the younguns, it was Duke/unc in Cameron, in the 70's prior to K. Duke played a zone much of the time (yes a zone. I did state "Pre-K" era), and Mr Dean Smith was determined to force Duke to come out of the zone and play man to man, so he went into the Four Corners offense pretty much out of the gate. Duke Coach Bill Foster was content to stay in the zone for the most part and let unc stop themselves from scoring. It worked too. We watched an entire half of keep away, yet Duke somehow managed to get the ball enough to score 7 points. unc on the other hand, only took a handful of shots the entire half, missing them all. One of the attempts was an airball, and legend has it, that was the birth of the "Airball, Airball" chant. Kedsy and BD80 lay claim I believe to being the originators or at least amongst them. :) Dean did decide to play real basketball in the 2nd half but Duke won anyway 47-40.

A few years later, Dean did almost the exact same thing in the ACC Championship game against Ralph Sampson and UVA. The heels ran out to an 8-0 lead then went into the Four Corners for the rest of the first half. This should have been one of the great ACC Tourney games of all-time due to the talent on both teams. UVA had Sampson, and a really good supporting cast, and unc had Worthy, Jordan, and Sam Perkins. It ended up being one of the biggest bore-fests of all time, so much so, that the shot clock was implemented soon after, almost 100% as a direct result of that game. It should have been a great game. I remember being highly irritated that a game of that magnitude was made into a mockery and was basically ruined. No disrespect meant to the ailing Mr Smith, but that was just an awful decision, that ruined an ACC Title game, and drew heavy criticism across the nation.

As for this game, how a Division I team attempting to score every possession with a 35 second shot clock only scored 7 points in a half is mind-boggling.

devildeac
01-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Yeah, the 7 points immediately reminded me of the infamous 7-0 halftime score game in the former greatest rivalry in sports (sorry unc but it can't be the greatest rivalry in sports any longer until you guys fess up and clean up the mess that is university of north carolina at chapel hill athletics scandal)

For the younguns, it was Duke/unc in Cameron, in the 70's prior to K. Duke played a zone much of the time (yes a zone. I did state "Pre-K" era), and Mr Dean Smith was determined to force Duke to come out of the zone and play man to man, so he went into the Four Corners offense pretty much out of the gate. Duke Coach Bill Foster was content to stay in the zone for the most part and let unc stop themselves from scoring. It worked too. We watched an entire half of keep away, yet Duke somehow managed to get the ball enough to score 7 points. unc on the other hand, only took a handful of shots the entire half, missing them all. One of the attempts was an airball, and legend has it, that was the birth of the "Airball, Airball" chant. Kedsy and BD80 lay claim I believe to being the originators or at least amongst them. :) Dean did decide to play real basketball in the 2nd half but Duke won anyway 47-40.

A few years later, Dean did almost the exact same thing in the ACC Championship game against Ralph Sampson and UVA. The heels ran out to an 8-0 lead then went into the Four Corners for the rest of the first half. This should have been one of the great ACC Tourney games of all-time due to the talent on both teams. UVA had Sampson, and a really good supporting cast, and unc had Worthy, Jordan, and Sam Perkins. It ended up being one of the biggest bore-fests of all time, so much so, that the shot clock was implemented soon after, almost 100% as a direct result of that game. It should have been a great game. I remember being highly irritated that a game of that magnitude was made into a mockery and was basically ruined. No disrespect meant to the ailing Mr Smith, but that was just an awful decision, that ruined an ACC Title game, and drew heavy criticism across the nation.

As for this game, how a Division I team attempting to score every possession with a 35 second shot clock only scored 7 points in a half is mind-boggling.

I think one of the DBR originators/founders, James Armstrong, has a serious claim to the origin of the "airball" chant.

Olympic Fan
01-04-2014, 12:44 AM

You have the details of this game wrong.

The 1982 ACC championship game you are talking about was played as a slow pace, but UNC did not jump to an 8-0 lead and go to the Four Corners. The game was played normally for 33 minutes.

UNC led 34-31 at the half and was still up 44-43 with 7:34 to play, when Terry Holland went to a zone. At that point, Dean did pull it out and hold the ball. Holland, despite trailing by one, refused to come out of the zone. Holland let the clock run down to under a minute before his team came out and attacked. It turned out to be a major tactical error because of the foul situation. Holland forgot that UNC only had two team fouls, so when Virginia finally did get the ball back down two with 28 seconds left, UNC was able to defend aggressively. They committed three fouls and Jimmy Black came up with a steal -- so Virginia never got a chance to attempt the tying basket. Matt Doherty who had hit 1-2 FTs with 28 seconds left, hit two more to make it 47-43. Virginia scored a meaningless basket at the buzzer for a 47-45 final.

You are right that the slowdown at the end did cause outrage and probably led directly to the ACC adopting an experimental 30 second shot clock the next year ... the NCAA wouldn't adopt the clock until the 1985-86 season.

Kedsy
01-04-2014, 01:00 AM

I think one of the DBR originators/founders, James Armstrong, has a serious claim to the origin of the "airball" chant.

Duke won the opening tip and scored to lead 2-0. Dean then went into the four corners on UNC's first possession. UNC attempted only two shots in the half, an airball by Chick Yonakor and a desperation heave at the halftime buzzer (also an airball). Yonakor also turned the ball over twice, giving Duke two extra possessions (we scored on both and also after Yonakor's airball; I'm not sure which possession ended in our making one of two free throws).

BD80 and I were both there and we both chanted "airball," as did all the other students in attendance. I can definitively say I did not originate the chant. I know James has always claimed to have started it, and he may have (BD and I generally sat near the free throw line and James sat at halfcourt, so I couldn't actually see him at the time). Frankly, for me at least it wasn't possible to tell exactly who chanted it first.

Newton_14
01-04-2014, 06:54 AM
You have the details of this game wrong.

The 1982 ACC championship game you are talking about was played as a slow pace, but UNC did not jump to an 8-0 lead and go to the Four Corners. The game was played normally for 33 minutes.

UNC led 34-31 at the half and was still up 44-43 with 7:34 to play, when Terry Holland went to a zone. At that point, Dean did pull it out and hold the ball. Holland, despite trailing by one, refused to come out of the zone. Holland let the clock run down to under a minute before his team came out and attacked. It turned out to be a major tactical error because of the foul situation. Holland forgot that UNC only had two team fouls, so when Virginia finally did get the ball back down two with 28 seconds left, UNC was able to defend aggressively. They committed three fouls and Jimmy Black came up with a steal -- so Virginia never got a chance to attempt the tying basket. Matt Doherty who had hit 1-2 FTs with 28 seconds left, hit two more to make it 47-43. Virginia scored a meaningless basket at the buzzer for a 47-45 final.

You are right that the slowdown at the end did cause outrage and probably led directly to the ACC adopting an experimental 30 second shot clock the next year ... the NCAA wouldn't adopt the clock until the 1985-86 season.

Rut Ro! Sorry Oly. My memory failed me there. Could have sworn they went 4 Corners in the first half similar to the Duke game, but I stand corrected. I hope I at least got the initial 8-0 lead right? Many moons ago. I should have checked the game summary instead of relying solely on memory. Thanks for the correction.

NSDukeFan
01-04-2014, 07:01 AM
As hard as this game must have been to watch, Arizona certainly deserves credit for keeping a PAC- whatever team to 7 points in a half and 25 overall. That would have to have been some focused defence, along with the incompetent? offence.

devildeac
01-04-2014, 07:23 AM
Duke won the opening tip and scored to lead 2-0. Dean then went into the four corners on UNC's first possession. UNC attempted only two shots in the half, an airball by Chick Yonakor and a desperation heave at the halftime buzzer (also an airball). Yonakor also turned the ball over twice, giving Duke two extra possessions (we scored on both and also after Yonakor's airball; I'm not sure which possession ended in our making one of two free throws).

BD80 and I were both there and we both chanted "airball," as did all the other students in attendance. I can definitively say I did not originate the chant. I know James has always claimed to have started it, and he may have (BD and I generally sat near the free throw line and James sat at halfcourt, so I couldn't actually see him at the time). Frankly, for me at least it wasn't possible to tell exactly who chanted it first.

I can see this being added to the 20th (25th?) anniversary DBR/Cameron Crazie trivia quiz. (Anyone remember the first [only?] DBR/Cameron Crazie quiz posted here 10 years ago or so? Anyone still have those questions and answers?)

Who originated the "airball" chant?

1. Kedsy
2. BD80
3. James Armstrong
4. All of the above

;)

sagegrouse
01-04-2014, 09:23 AM
I can see this being added to the 20th (25th?) anniversary DBR/Cameron Crazie trivia quiz. (Anyone remember the first [only?] DBR/Cameron Crazie quiz posted here 10 years ago or so? Anyone still have those questions and answers?)

Who originated the "airball" chant?

1. Kedsy
2. BD80
3. James Armstrong
4. All of the above

;)

This needs a little public relations work, and I consulted the team advising our neighbors down 15-501:

"Who first uttered the yell, 'AIRBALL!,' which began at Duke University in 1989 and has spread around the basketball universe?"

Kedsy
BD80
James
All of the above
None of the above. It was a gent from London, who in 1987 took his beloved cat inside his coat to a game of the Leicester Riders in the British Basketball League. The predictable happened, and it occurred simultaneously with a miss. He cried out in full Cockney accent. The crowd immediately turned " 'AIRBALL!" into a chant.

Go Duke!

devildeac
01-04-2014, 09:44 AM
This needs a little public relations work, and I consulted the team advising our neighbors down 15-501:

"Who first uttered the yell, 'AIRBALL!,' which began at Duke University in 1989 and has spread around the basketball universe?"

Kedsy
BD80
James
All of the above
None of the above. It was a gent from London, who in 1987 took his beloved cat inside his coat to a game of the Leicester Riders in the British Basketball League. The predictable happened, and it occurred simultaneously with a miss. He cried out in full Cockney accent. The crowd immediately turned " 'AIRBALL!" into a chant.

Go Duke!

Your question is constructed in a far better fashion. I am a simple-minded, scientific soul with little inclination to publicity/marketing.

Kedsy
01-04-2014, 10:44 AM

Kedsy
BD80
James
All of the above

Go Duke!

It's a trick question. The chant began in 1979.

Also, it was pretty spontaneous, and it was pretty obvious. Coming up with it wasn't like proving Fermat's Last Theorum or anything. Very possible several people shouted it at the same time before it became a chant. Like I said, I wasn't one of them, but I picked it up pretty quickly.

weezie
01-04-2014, 11:51 AM
As to the whole AZ theorem, they are beginning to make me feel very uneasy.
I have the slightly nauseous anxiety that they are going to run the table in March, as long as they don't start acting stupid.

Kedsy
01-04-2014, 11:57 AM
I have the slightly nauseous anxiety that they are going to run the table in March, as long as they don't start acting stupid.

Don't despair. Arizona only beat Michigan by 2. They only beat UNLV by 5 at home. They only beat Drexel by 4 the game before they beat Duke. In a one-and-done format they are as vulnerable as any of the other top teams.

gep
01-04-2014, 02:03 PM

Went running this morning... and had this same thought. Can anyone beat AZ this year? And even, Syracuse, Ohio State... And will Duke even have a chance at a #1 seed... :confused:

Don't despair. Arizona only beat Michigan by 2. They only beat UNLV by 5 at home. They only beat Drexel by 4 the game before they beat Duke. In a one-and-done format they are as vulnerable as any of the other top teams.

But Kedsy makes AZ seem more of a "regular" team than a powerhouse that will steamroll through March.:cool:

Thanks... I feel better now

NYBri
01-04-2014, 03:26 PM

Don't look now, but Washington has a lead over 'Zona in the second half. Tons of time left, but the Cats aren't rolling over everyone.

Dukehky
01-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Indiana Michigan State: Big 10 teams still can't score.

BD80
01-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Yeah, the 7 points immediately reminded me of the infamous 7-0 halftime score game in the former greatest rivalry in sports ...

[/B][/COLOR]For the younguns, it was Duke/unc in Cameron, in the 70's prior to K. Duke played a zone much of the time (yes a zone. I did state "Pre-K" era), and Mr Dean Smith was determined to force Duke to come out of the zone and play man to man, so he went into the Four Corners offense pretty much out of the gate. Duke Coach Bill Foster was content to stay in the zone for the most part and let unc stop themselves from scoring. It worked too. We watched an entire half of keep away, yet Duke somehow managed to get the ball enough to score 7 points. unc on the other hand, only took a handful of shots the entire half, missing them all. One of the attempts was an airball, and legend has it, that was the birth of the "Airball, Airball" chant. Kedsy and BD80 lay claim I believe to being the originators or at least amongst them. :) Dean did decide to play real basketball in the 2nd half but Duke won anyway 47-40.

Kedsy and I were among those who started the chant (at least physically situated among those who started it), we may not have started the fire, but we contributed to the blaze. Of course, when my kids were too young to know better, I took full credit for "airball" as well as the discovery of fire.

That game cost me a relationship with a very comely coed from chapel hill. In retrospect: worth it.