PDA

View Full Version : FB: Vad Lee to transfer from GTech.

loran16
01-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Lee was their QB who now claims the triple option "wasn't really his thing" and who had impressive natural ability. He's also incidentally from Durham.

(Before anyone ever gets their hopes up, the ACC generally does not allow transfers between member schools.)

OldPhiKap
01-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Lee was their QB who now claims the triple option "wasn't really his thing" and who had impressive natural ability. He's also incidentally from Durham.

(Before anyone ever gets their hopes up, the ACC generally does not allow transfers between member schools.)

Thanks, Loran. QB may be one position we are back logged, although (as I know you know) Sean Renfree was a GT commit who flipped once Paul Johnson was hired.

I live in Ga, and know a bunch of GT mega-boosters. They have wanted PJ gone for a while, but still smarting over the buy-out of the stupid-crazy contract Paul Hewitt had. Would not be surprised to see PJ gone if they do not excel next year.

And to think, Johnson turned us down so we had to "settle" for Cut. Hard to think of a better example of the old maxim, "things always work out for a reason!"

devildeac
01-02-2014, 10:39 PM

Yea, like we really need another QB on the roster:rolleyes:. I counted eight last month and verified that just now. I'd guess four of them appear likely to compete for snaps next year with Nico Pierre (sp?) coming and perhaps one more, guessing that they'll redshirt, too.

loran16
01-02-2014, 11:53 PM
Thanks, Loran. QB may be one position we are back logged, although (as I know you know) Sean Renfree was a GT commit who flipped once Paul Johnson was hired.

I live in Ga, and know a bunch of GT mega-boosters. They have wanted PJ gone for a while, but still smarting over the buy-out of the stupid-crazy contract Paul Hewitt had. Would not be surprised to see PJ gone if they do not excel next year.

And to think, Johnson turned us down so we had to "settle" for Cut. Hard to think of a better example of the old maxim, "things always work out for a reason!"

FWIW I think Johnson would've worked out quite well here. The triple option seems like an O that barring a complete fluke of talent, is only going to result in slightly above average results - lots of 6-8 win seasons. Now that would've been great for us honestly - let's not forget where we were, and it working at Navy is a pretty good sign it would work here.

OldPhiKap
01-03-2014, 12:05 AM
FWIW I think Johnson would've worked out quite well here. The triple option seems like an O that barring a complete fluke of talent, is only going to result in slightly above average results - lots of 6-8 win seasons. Now that would've been great for us honestly - let's not forget where we were, and it working at Navy is a pretty good sign it would work here.

Not sure about that. What the GT folks say:

1. If you fall behind, the option game breaks down because you need basically abandon your base offense for a passing game. So you need a great D. Not sure Ted ever had that.

2. The biggest complaint is that top QB's and WR's do not want to come, which then hurts when you end up in the situation described above. Renfree is an actual example.

I personally like the option, but it is gimmicky. You need to keep scoring to win. Trying to think of the last team to win a NC with the option as it's prime offensive set, not thinking of one this late at night.

Also, the GT folks say that, well, Johnson is kind of a surly jerk. Do not have any personal info one way or the other, but he is apparently a pretty prickly pear.

I agree that PJ is a talented coach who, if Duke's admin had supported, would have gotten us to a better-than-before state. But Cut has bigger plans, and plans to do it here. I assume we do not disagree that, in retrospect, we got the better fit.

FerryFor50
01-03-2014, 12:23 AM

1. If you fall behind, the option game breaks down because you need basically abandon your base offense for a passing game. So you need a great D. Not sure Ted ever had that.

2. The biggest complaint is that top QB's and WR's do not want to come, which then hurts when you end up in the situation described above. Renfree is an actual example.

I personally like the option, but it is gimmicky. You need to keep scoring to win. Trying to think of the last team to win a NC with the option as it's prime offensive set, not thinking of one this late at night.

Also, the GT folks say that, well, Johnson is kind of a surly jerk. Do not have any personal info one way or the other, but he is apparently a pretty prickly pear.

I agree that PJ is a talented coach who, if Duke's admin had supported, would have gotten us to a better-than-before state. But Cut has bigger plans, and plans to do it here. I assume we do not disagree that, in retrospect, we got the better fit.

The option died as a viable national championship offense when Miami throttled Nebraska in 2001.

GT is interesting, though. Calvin Johnson came out of Hewitt's option offense, as did Stephen Hill...

gofurman
01-03-2014, 03:30 AM

Nebraska rolled up Florida - and I mean KILLED Florida- for the national title in the mid 90s. It's a legit system to win 6-8 games. PJ came from Georgia Southern where he won several national tires at FCS. Then he went to Navy and was immensely successful with it!!! Only at GT has he struggled some. It's been great at the service academies ( just ask MTSU this year who got smoked by Navy in bowl game)

duke74
01-03-2014, 06:50 AM
The option died as a viable national championship offense when Miami throttled Nebraska in 2001.

GT is interesting, though. Calvin Johnson came out of Hewitt's option offense, as did Stephen Hill...

May be too early to tell, and there have been injury issues, but from this Jets fan's vantage point, I'm not sure I'd tout Hill as a success yet, especially in the same sentence as Megatron. May not be the result of GT's system, but he still hasn't proven that he can do anything but run past people and then maybe catch the ball.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-03-2014, 07:19 AM
May be too early to tell, and there have been injury issues, but from this Jets fan's vantage point, I'm not sure I'd tout Hill as a success yet, especially in the same sentence as Megatron. May not be the result of GT's system, but he still hasn't proven that he can do anything but run past people and then maybe catch the ball.

Regardless of Hill's success (or lack there of) in the NFL thus far, it is still pretty impressive that a receiver from that type of college offense was able to be drafted so high. Demaryius (sp?) Thomas of the Broncos is also a Tech alum who played under Johnson and has unquestionably been successful in the NFL. Calvin Johnson was in the NFL before Johnson arrived - he played under Chan Gailey.

nocilla
01-03-2014, 08:44 AM

Calvin Johnson was in the NFL before Johnson arrived - he played under Chan Gailey.

Maybe Megatron worked out with Hewitt's basketball team in the offseason.?.

CameronBornAndBred
01-03-2014, 08:46 AM
I find it interesting that he is transferring simply because he is their starting QB, as well as playing in 12 games the prior season. It is so common to see backups go elsewhere to get playing time, so he must have serious issues with the program for him to take off. I wonder if there is more behind his wish to leave besides a simple dissatisfaction with the offense PJ runs.

allenmurray
01-03-2014, 08:56 AM
I find it interesting that he is transferring simply because he is their starting QB, as well as playing in 12 games the prior season. It is so common to see backups go elsewhere to get playing time, so he must have serious issues with the program for him to take off. I wonder if there is more behind his wish to leave besides a simple dissatisfaction with the offense PJ runs.

Perhaps he sees himself as a future NFL QB - if so he needs to be in a passing offense.

duke74
01-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Regardless of Hill's success (or lack there of) in the NFL thus far, it is still pretty impressive that a receiver from that type of college offense was able to be drafted so high. Demaryius (sp?) Thomas of the Broncos is also a Tech alum who played under Johnson and has unquestionably been successful in the NFL. Calvin Johnson was in the NFL before Johnson arrived - he played under Chan Gailey.

Agree.. no issues here at all. Jets drafted on potential and athletic ability. (4.2 speed and 6'5" helps) One of the knocks on the use of a high pick (2nd), even by Rex, was the system he played in (49 catches in 38 games, but abt a 25.5 average). See http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000057378/article/rex-ryan-stephen-hill-not-my-pick-for-new-york-jets.

Hope he develops and grows some hands...needs them badly. (I'm no FB expert, but it is probably a good thing for a WR to be able to catch I think.) Geno (if he remains our guy) needs some...any...weapons.

FerryFor50
01-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Maybe Megatron worked out with Hewitt's basketball team in the offseason.?.

LOL

Oops. Brain fart.

jv001
01-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Agree.. no issues here at all. Jets drafted on potential and athletic ability. (4.2 speed and 6'5" helps) One of the knocks on the use of a high pick (2nd), even by Rex, was the system he played in (49 catches in 38 games, but abt a 25.5 average). See http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000057378/article/rex-ryan-stephen-hill-not-my-pick-for-new-york-jets.

Hope he develops and grows some hands...needs them badly. (I'm no FB expert, but it is probably a good thing for a WR to be able to catch I think.) Geno (if he remains our guy) needs some...any...weapons.

Is that you Greenie, lol? GoDuke!

duke74
01-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Is that you Greenie, lol? GoDuke!

Funny...but he and I do share our love for the Jets! Season ticket holder family from the Titans days. Gave them up when Hess decided to abandon his real Queens/LI fans and move to the swamps. Hour+ drives didn't appeal to us, especially given the lack of loyalty he showed. (I know, Shea was old, even then, and $ beckoned...)

Hoping that with a lot of cap room, many draft picks and a bit of coaching stability (at least for this season) we contend in 2014. FB teams seem to be able to turn around the franchise pretty quickly these days (e.g., KC), unlike the NBA (to me). But then again, I am also a Mets fan, so am used to the frustration.....

Duvall
01-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Maybe Lee should reconsider? (https://mobile.twitter.com/BFeldmanCBS/status/419185405620011008?p=v) Sounds like Johnson may be looking to leave as well.

OldPhiKap
01-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Maybe Lee should reconsider? (https://mobile.twitter.com/BFeldmanCBS/status/419185405620011008?p=v) Sounds like Johnson may be looking to leave as well.

It is a situation that cannot last too much longer. They want him gone, he may want to go -- it'a all about the Benjamins from here on out.

Spoke
01-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Jeff Schultz has a column up on Paul Johnson and on Lee's transfer (http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/jeff-schultz/2014/jan/03/paul-johnson-safe-must-know-pressure/?icmp=ajc_internallink_textlink_homepage).

JasonEvans
01-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Jeff Schultz has a column up on Paul Johnson and on Lee's transfer (http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/jeff-schultz/2014/jan/03/paul-johnson-safe-must-know-pressure/?icmp=ajc_internallink_textlink_homepage).

Whether accurate or inaccurate, it is worth noting that Jeff Schultz has made a looong career in Atlanta out of always saying what the powerful want him to say. He is certainly tight with Paul Johnson and no doubt did this column with Johnson's blessing (and probably also with the blessing of the Ga Tech AD). The column does little more than cement the fact that Johnson will be there for at least one more season and then spends some time trashing Vad Lee. It is just the kind of column that Tech and Johnson would want, as it ensures recruits won't freak out and leave Tech at this point.

Anyway, I am of the belief that Schultz's stuff is barely worth using as toiler paper. And don't even get me started on his college basketball writings -- he's all about Kentucky.

-Jason "journalism and the AJC sports section just don't go hand in hand" Evans