PDA

View Full Version : K Qualifies for the Olympics

OZZIE4DUKE
09-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Congratulations to Coach K for leading his US basketball team to next year's Olympics. We beat Puerto Rico today and are in next year without further qualifying.
http://sports.iwon.com/news/09012007/v8307.html

4decadedukie
09-02-2007, 07:53 AM
I have sensed a real chemistry during the last several games. These VERY talented individual athletes are now playing as a happy, well-integrated, TEAM. That's a seminal change for recent USA - international basketball; we've always had an abundance of talent, but have lacked a team, and therefore have been beaten (and sometime humiliated).

Credit has to go to the athletes, who are simply outstanding. But credit also has to go to Coach K, who has emphasized fundamentals, made the team aggressively defensive, created a winning environment where cooperation (and even friendship) appear to abound, and caused discipline and teamwork to be prevalent (no longer super-stars principally playing as individual "hot-dogs").

We shall see what happens in the Olympics, but if the US should happen to win, I believe history may define this effort as Coach K's "finest hour."

mgtr
09-02-2007, 07:55 AM
K deserves a lot of credit. He held these guys together, motivated them, spread the minutes, and kept them happy. They were all cheering each other, no sulking on the bench. Much more like a college team than a bunch of multi-millionaires. Congratulations.

Olympic Fan
09-02-2007, 10:14 AM
I said when this entire process started that we should have a deal with the K-haters -- if the US fails to win the gold in Beijing they have the right to tip him all they want and to argue that it was stupid to name a college coach to lead pro players ... but if we win their gold, they have to give him the credit for doing what George Karl and Larry Brown couldn't do in recent years -- bring a bunch of selfish pros together into a team.

There's still one more step to take before that issue is decided -- and it's the big one -- but I love the way this is playing out. As you guys point out, he has these guys motivated, playing fundamentally sound basketball.

It was be interesting to see the Olympic team put together next spring/summer. Obviously, the members of the current team, plus the members of last summer's third-place World Championship team, plus about a dozen more in the pool who weren't selected for either team are still in the mix. That includes Elton Brand and Shane Battier (on the 2006 team USA) and Carlos Boozer and J.J. Redick (members of the pool, but unselected so far).

It's going to be interesting because this -- the final 12-man Olympic team -- will be the one all these guys REALLY want to play on. It's the payoff for three summers of hard work and sacrifice.

I think Carmelo Anthony and Kobe Bryant are locks. LeBron should be too. I definitely prefer Kidd and Billups at the point. Elton will have a chance as a scoring big man. Shane could return to the team as a designated defender.

The steady progress between 2004 in Athens (Brown's team that lost three times with Duncan, Iversion, Anthony and James) to 2006 in Japan (one loss) to 2007 in Las Vegas (so far no losses) is amazing and a sign of great coaching.

Carlos
09-02-2007, 10:23 AM
No doubt the USA squad looked very good most of the time in Vegas but then again, the USA has traditionally I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.slapped their way through the qualifying tournament and, with Argentina sending the B team, there was not much talent out there competing with the USA.

Obviously the USA played well. But when the competition picks up will we see Kobe going 1-on-3 like he did several times in this tournament? Will the US defend the high pick and roll well when it's Nocioni and Ginobili instead of Prigioni and Scola?

I like this team a lot more than the World Championship squad from last year and I like it a whole lot more than the squad from Athens. The biggest improvements I see are the improved point guard play and better outside shooting. Kidd is the best point guard in the world not named Nash and Billups is a great team player as well. Adding Redd gives the team a big guard who can shoot the ball. I'm not that keen on Mike Miller and I would expect him to be replaced with a different shooter next year. Perhaps Paul Pierce although I would be worried about how he would fit in with the team concept. Maybe Joe Johnson who has size and can shoot it.

The other guy I would expect to not be on the Olympic squad is Tyson Chandler who hasn't seen hasn't played all that well in Vegas. I would expect Boozer, Brand, Bosh, or Greg Oden to have a shot at replaicing him next year.

micah75
09-02-2007, 02:04 PM
The other guy I would expect to not be on the Olympic squad is Tyson Chandler who hasn't seen hasn't played all that well in Vegas. I would expect Boozer, Brand, Bosh, or Greg Oden to have a shot at replaicing him next year.

Congratulations to this outstanding team and coaching staff. Unfortunately, I missed the explosive second half of the qualifying game due to the tape delay. Anyway, all looks good so far. If there is any area of weakness which needs to be shored up for next year, I would think it would be the post play. Bill Walton was talking in the previous game about how there needs to be more than just dunks from the big guys inside. And others have expressed some concern for a big to help defend the pick and roll. So, who would be the best replacement for Chandler, assuming he is replaced? I like the four candidates mentioned above. But not sure that Oden will have the needed experience under his belt. Boozer and Brand both have the post moves, but might be just a bit undersized when going up against the occasional 7 footer. I haven't seen enough of Bosh to form an opinion. If I had to choose, I'd like to see Carlos Boozer. Just a personal preference though, most likely based upon my Duke bias.

YmoBeThere
09-02-2007, 07:37 PM
USA leads 51-21. I think they want to prove that the 15 point margin they had a few days ago was well, not indidicative of the level of ability of the two teams involved. This team has been fun to watch.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-02-2007, 10:21 PM
USA leads 51-21. I think they want to prove that the 15 point margin they had a few days ago was well, not indidicative of the level of ability of the two teams involved. This team has been fun to watch.

118 - 81 final. A job well done!

mapei
09-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Couldn't agree more. Loved watching Kobe as an assist man and LeBron as everything else. Argentina got too many open shots for my liking, but that's nit-picking. This has been a fun team to watch.

Billy Dat
09-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Right now....I'd have to wager NO.

First off, it really does make me happy to see that these players seem to really like K, especially after the rumblings last summer that he was going to be replaced after the loss to Greece. This summer, the team really looked like a K-coached defensive squad which made a huge difference.

As for Brand and Battier, they'll have a tough time making this team. Elton will be coming off his recent achilles injury and I don't know that he's going to want to be putting all those extra miles on that bad wheel. If if he was 100%, he be fighting for a spot. Dwight Howard is in, and I think that despite the fact that Amare and Bosh are similar players, they'll both be in. Colangelo and K both said the team needed some extra bulk, and that could mean Elton and Boozer battling for the final spot. I'd really like to see Elton get the title with K that he should have gotten in 1999.

As for Shane, after watching him last summer and Tayshaun Prince this summer, I think Prince is a far better shooter, and I am a huge Shane fan. Based on what I saw, I think Prince was better.

Speaking of Shane, he'll be happy to get Argentina's Luis Scola on his team. That guy is A BEAST! He's a solid scorer, and he's tough. But, because he's so used to international rules, I think he may set records for fouling out.

JasonEvans
09-03-2007, 02:40 PM
This has been a fun team to watch.

And that is the key-- it has been a team with multiple parts each working together. You simply have not seen that in the past from Team USA... at least not for a loooong time.

I expect and hope that most of this team will stay together for the 2008 Olympics. Sure, there are a few tweaks that can/should be made. I agree that we can do better in the post than Tyson Chandler and we can be better in the "designated shooter" role than Mike Miller. Tayshaun Prince is good, but we could maybe upgrade there. Someone probably has to go to make room for a healthy DWade.

Still, my main point is that much of the rest of the team seems to be the guys we should and will take with us to Beijing. The fact that they have some time playing together now is very, very good and will certainly help us in the future.

-Jason "Kobe, Melo, Lebron, DHoward, and Amare are all locks for the 08 team... and I love those guys to lead us to the Gold!!" Evans

Indoor66
09-03-2007, 02:44 PM
And that is the key-- it has been a team with multiple parts each working together. You simply have not seen that in the past from Team USA... at least not for a loooong time.

I expect and hope that most of this team will stay together for the 2008 Olympics. Sure, there are a few tweaks that can/should be made. I agree that we can do better in the post than Tyson Chandler and we can be better in the "designated shooter" role than Mike Miller. Tayshaun Prince is good, but we could maybe upgrade there. Someone probably has to go to make room for a healthy DWade.

Still, my main point is that much of the rest of the team seems to be the guys we should and will take with us to Beijing. The fact that they have some time playing together now is very, very good and will certainly help us in the future.

-Jason "Kobe, Melo, Lebron, DHoward, and Amare are all locks for the 08 team... and I love those guys to lead us to the Gold!!" Evans

I question as to whether we will see a healthy Duane Wade next year. His injuries were quite serious and will require a lot of rehab. Follow that with the remainder of the '07-'08 NBA and I have to wonder if he will be capable of being the player we need in the Olympics.

Billy Dat
09-03-2007, 02:53 PM
While Jason Kidd definitely made all the difference on this team, it has really surprised me that so many journalists are on the Kobe bandwagon when, to me, the real straw that stirred the drink (after Kidd) was LEBRON. First, a few caveats....Carmelo proved himself last summer to be a gifted international player and that continued this summer...he was awesome. But, Lebron, not Kobe, showed the full package. It was Lebron who was playmaking, Lebron looking to get the big men involved, Lebron filling every lane on the break, etc. He was incredible, especially the way he was shooting from long range. Kobe is the one who kept trying to go one on one while Lebron was looking to make passes. Both played great defense, but Lebron shot almost 70% for the entire tournament!!!!!!!! The LEBRONZE AGE has arrived.

JasonEvans
09-03-2007, 03:53 PM
While Jason Kidd definitely made all the difference on this team, it has really surprised me that so many journalists are on the Kobe bandwagon when, to me, the real straw that stirred the drink (after Kidd) was LEBRON. First, a few caveats....Carmelo proved himself last summer to be a gifted international player and that continued this summer...he was awesome. But, Lebron, not Kobe, showed the full package. It was Lebron who was playmaking, Lebron looking to get the big men involved, Lebron filling every lane on the break, etc. He was incredible, especially the way he was shooting from long range. Kobe is the one who kept trying to go one on one while Lebron was looking to make passes. Both played great defense, but Lebron shot almost 70% for the entire tournament!!!!!!!! The LEBRONZE AGE has arrived.

Everyone raved about Kidd, but it was Bron-Bron who led this team in assists.

-Jason "that James kid has had a pretty good few months of hoops, don't ya think?" Evans

dukelifer
09-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Everyone raved about Kidd, but it was Bron-Bron who led this team in assists.

-Jason "that James kid has had a pretty good few months of hoops, don't ya think?" Evans

Lebron was a force to be sure- but these were easy, easy games where everyone on the US team was relaxed- almost throughout. There was never any game pressure- the sort of pressure that makes some wilt and other rise. When there is no pressure, the shots are much easier. Until this team is in a close game- we will never know who will raise his game. Lebron has shown in the past that he can rise but he can also wilt when the pressure is on.

I thought that Deron Williams and Tayshaun Prince played very well when they got time. Prince is not flashy but is a tough matchup. I think he needs to be on the Olympic team. Williams really knows how to get the big man involved. He is also very strong and will only get better. Howard was also a big surprise. Overall - this was a fun team to watch. It will be interesting to see if they will ever be tested- and then who gets the ball in his hands in crunch time.

JasonEvans
09-03-2007, 06:47 PM
It will be interesting to see if they will ever be tested- and then who gets the ball in his hands in crunch time.

Truth be told, if they are playing well then no one can really test them. I mean, there are some good players from around the world like Dirk and Yao and Barbosa and Noccioni but there is no team with enough good players to play with the US if we are playing like a team and playing well.

That said, someone like Argentina will probably test us in the Olympics and it will be interesting to watch. I would submit that if there is a "clutch" moment late in a game that Kobe would be the guy who would get the ball. He has thrived on that role in his career and I think that is one of the reasons he would be on this team. You could argue that Lebron or even Melo might be as good an option -- and you could certainly argue that there are enough good players so that what we'd really want is JKidd or DWilliams creating a shot for whoever is the most open (or better still driving and dishing for a big-man dunk), but if there was a "we need a shot in a one-on-one situation" kinda play, I think the answer is clearly Kobe.

--Jason "I worry that if we are even in a close game late, we may panic a bit" Evans