PDA

View Full Version : FB (Chik-Fil-A Bowl): Texas A&M 52, Duke 48 Post-Game Thread

JBDuke
12-31-2013, 11:47 PM
Great season for the Blue Devils. Historic even. Sure would have been nice to go out with a bowl win, but heck of a fight by our guys. Congrats to Coach Cutcliffe and the 2013 Blue Devils.

killerleft
12-31-2013, 11:50 PM
Tough, tough way to lose. Really proud of everybody, great year guys!

kaufmjo
12-31-2013, 11:50 PM
Disappeared in second half. Two INTs on pressure. We were a better team tonight and should have won. Sucks for the seniors

dukelifer
12-31-2013, 11:51 PM
Great season for the Blue Devils. Historic even. Sure would have been nice to go out with a bowl win, but heck of a fight by our guys. Congrats to Coach Cutcliffe and the 2013 Blue Devils.

Guys showed they belonged. Manziel is a special player and we knew it was his night. Boone made two mistakes but otherwise matched Johnny Football play for play. Sad for sure but pretty proud of this team. Should be motivation for next season.

UrinalCake
12-31-2013, 11:52 PM
Should have taken a sack on that last play. But what an amazing game, so many third and fourth down conversions... The team showed tremendous heart.

bbq-devil
Hard to lose a game that we played well enough to win.

Congrats to the team for a great year. Looking forward to another 10+ win season next year

CDu
Disappeared in second half. Two INTs on pressure. We were a better team tonight and should have won. Sucks for the seniors

No, we were the better team for just one half. A&M was better for the other half. We had plenty of chances to win, but couldn't quite capitalize. Oh well. Great season anyway.

CLW
12-31-2013, 11:53 PM
Some serious issues in the second half with mismanaging the clock and the tempo the entire second half gave A&M an opportunity and they took it.

subzero02
12-31-2013, 11:54 PM
That game was crushing... Great season, lots to look forward to in 2014

uh_no
12-31-2013, 11:54 PM
No, we were the better team for just one half. A&M was better for the other half. We had plenty of chances to win, but couldn't quite capitalize. Oh well. Great season anyway.

spot on...and two key penalties stopped them in the first half....IMO? two very good offenses against two mediocre defenses....they came on top tonight since they made no mistakes down the stretch and we did.

kaufmjo
12-31-2013, 11:55 PM
The offense dominated the whole game. Tough to put up that many points and still lose. Defense didn't show up.

dukelifer
12-31-2013, 11:57 PM
spot on...and two key penalties stopped them in the first half....IMO? two very good offenses against two mediocre defenses....they came on top tonight since they made no mistakes down the stretch and we did.

My fault- just before the pick 6 I commented how turnover free the game had been. Duke had a ton of chances but let them take the momentum. Felt like a basketball game.

chaosmage
12-31-2013, 11:58 PM
all the way around, we played far better than I thought possible, coming from someone who only watches Duke football, and not much else.

As an interesting point for the conspiracy theorists out there - two no-calls on PI in the last moments of the game and the spread was 4 points according to ESPN - final score 52-48.

Draw your own conclusions. Mods, if that's inappropriate, I'll take the hit... I just found it very coincidental.

Bob Green
12-31-2013, 11:58 PM
My heart bleeds for the team and most especially for the seniors!

CatDevil
01-01-2014, 12:01 AM
I attended the Belk Bowl last year and this game reminded me of that one(on a much smaller scale). It didn't start as a blow out,but it was tied or close near the end, and I believe it was one of those darn interceptions that sealed our fate. It was freezing cold so my brain my may be a bit foggy. At least the first half of the games were awesome. Who knows...maybe we will go undefeated in the 2014 season....ok ok, one can dream. From all I have read our team will be even better next year:confused:...so I cannot wait till there is more Duke Football.

Let's Go Duke!

TobaMom
01-01-2014, 12:02 AM
Amazing first half and an amazing season. Congratulations to all of the players and to Coach Cut for making Duke Football a respected program. This may sound like whining, but I almost got sick listening to the commentators -- they clearly wanted Manziel to have this ending and their man crushes are a bit hard to stomach. Go Duke!

DownEastDevil
01-01-2014, 12:04 AM
My heart bleeds for the team and most especially for the seniors!

I agree Bob, as bad as I feel right now they have to be dying inside.

DBFAN
01-01-2014, 12:06 AM
Amazing first half and an amazing season. Congratulations to all of the players and to Coach Cut for making Duke Football a respected program. This may sound like whining, but I almost got sick listening to the commentators -- they clearly wanted Manziel to have this ending and their man crushes are a bit hard to stomach. Go Duke!

It made me sick to my stomach as well. Just have to learn to turn the TV down

dukelifer
01-01-2014, 12:06 AM
all the way around, we played far better than I thought possible, coming from someone who only watches Duke football, and not much else.

As an interesting point for the conspiracy theorists out there - two no-calls on PI in the last moments of the game and the spread was 4 points according to ESPN - final score 52-48.

Draw your own conclusions. Mods, if that's inappropriate, I'll take the hit... I just found it very coincidental.

Also needed the game to end before midnight. This game was all about selling Manziel. He had one of those nights that make legends. Duke's D had no answer and it was a matter of time. The only chance was to score on the last drive with no time. So close.

chaosmage
01-01-2014, 12:07 AM
I agree Bob, as bad as I feel right now they have to be dying inside.

So close... Boone has to be kicking himself, and he shouldn't. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have been anywhere close. Our boys played a great game, and I'll take it. Two UNX fans called me very impressed with how they played, and agreeing that A&M would have spanked the Holes. So the boys did a great job.

Bring on the next season.

g-money
01-01-2014, 12:07 AM
R-E-S-P-E-C-T for Duke football from here forward.

We might've lost the battle, but we're winning the war to become a legit football program. I'm sure this loss will sting, but hopefully every guy on that team will come to realize what he has become a part of.

UrinalCake
01-01-2014, 12:08 AM

I'm not buying the conspiracy theory, but I do think the first one was a blown call. For the second one the announcers said the ball had been tipped, which I didn't see but they never showed a replay, so I dunno.

I thought our offense got too conservative in the second half. Every first down play was a run up the middle for 2 or 3 yards. Boone was picking apart the defense so well, I wish we had thrown it a little more. Hindsight 20/20 and all.

rthomas
01-01-2014, 12:09 AM
Very proud of my Blue Devils. Great game and great game by TA&M.

subzero02
01-01-2014, 12:10 AM

Well, according to almost every major Vegas book the spread was 13.5/14... Great game by our team but the defense wasn't there the way it should've been

Bob Green
01-01-2014, 12:10 AM
I thought our offense got too conservative in the second half. Every first down play was a run up the middle for 2 or 3 yards.

I completely disagree. Down the stretch, we unsuccessfully went deep on 1st down several times. Hindsight says we should have run the ball or threw a short pass.

chaosmage
01-01-2014, 12:12 AM
Well, according to almost every major Vegas book the spread was 13.5/14... Great game by our team but the defense wasn't there the way it should've been

Oh, I was just going by the ticker on ESPN, if it was further, then so much the better!

CDu
01-01-2014, 12:13 AM
The offense dominated the whole game. Tough to put up that many points and still lose. Defense didn't show up.

No, the offense dominated for one half. We scored just 10 points in the second half. It is absolutely true that the defense didn't do us many favors, but they actually "held" A&M's offense to fewer points than A&M's defense did to our offense.

We absolutely dominated the first half (38-17). A&M absolutely dominated the second half (35-10).

DBFAN
01-01-2014, 12:14 AM
I still don't buy the refs having enough evidence to overturn that catch. 2 blown calls in that drive killed us. Especially the pass interference not being called. If that's called it changes the entire complexity of that drive

FerryFor50
01-01-2014, 12:19 AM
I'm not buying the conspiracy theory, but I do think the first one was a blown call. For the second one the announcers said the ball had been tipped, which I didn't see but they never showed a replay, so I dunno.

I thought our offense got too conservative in the second half. Every first down play was a run up the middle for 2 or 3 yards. Boone was picking apart the defense so well, I wish we had thrown it a little more. Hindsight 20/20 and all.

Ball was definitely tipped on the 2nd one, but that should have been defensive holding, not PI.

Those missed calls were HUGE. But not why the game was lost. Several key "shoulda/coulda/woulda" plays decided this one...

- missed FG for a normally accurate kicker
- 4th down play call for a roll out pass on 4th and 1 when the running game was working; ended in turnover on downs
- mismanagement of the clock at the end of the first half. Should have used the timeout and run one more play to throw into the end zone to try to get the TD
- not letting Connette throw the ball inside the 5; resulted in FG
- not running the ball on the Boone pick 6... needed to run clock there and it was only 1st or 2nd down
- throwing the ball for an INT instead of taking the sack
- not playing Connette more

This game ended pretty much like I thought; a shoot out where the team that made the fewest mistakes won. I was shocked when Duke took a 38-14 lead. A&M got more aggressive on defense and forced some mistakes. Their defense may stink, but they have better athletes on defense than Duke and it showed in the 2nd half.

Hopefully the defense becomes a focus in recruiting and this exciting, nationally televised prime time game juices up some new recruits to come help out! Great season, great effort against a top team and Heisman winner. For most of the game, Boone outplayed Manziel.

FerryFor50
01-01-2014, 12:22 AM
I still don't buy the refs having enough evidence to overturn that catch. 2 blown calls in that drive killed us. Especially the pass interference not being called. If that's called it changes the entire complexity of that drive

Yea, not sure how they saw enough to overturn it. The ball looked like it *might* have hit the ground, but it also looked like McCaffrey's elbow *might* have been under the ball. There wasn't conclusive evidence, IMO, and the ball never moved, so who knows.

I'm more irritated by the numerous missed PI calls, including the first one of the game on the flea flicker, and the bigger one where McCaffrey got hit before he was able to catch the ball.

Lauderdevil
01-01-2014, 12:22 AM
As well as the offense played -- especially Anthony Boone -- I can't be upset by a couple of errors at the end. And I can't be too upset with the defense, either; after all, they were playing an all-time great college quarterback. Spectacular game, outstanding season. With just a couple of exceptions, the offense made every play it needed to, but in this game it would have had to make every single one to win. Almost did it.

flyingdutchdevil
01-01-2014, 12:23 AM
I am sick and tired of hearing "missed calls" and "bad reffing". Stop it. We lost. And we didn't do what we wanted.

We played well. I give it to Duke.

Stop blaying us and being petty

Just stop.

DBFAN
01-01-2014, 12:34 AM
I know why don't you tell us what we should say here on an opinionated message board. Please get a grip

heyman25
01-01-2014, 12:36 AM
Great season for Duke football,but if we are fortunate enough for a third straight bowl let's learn how to close. 2 heartbreak defeats in 2 years are enough for this fan. We are back from the hapless years.Duke football now has respect. We need a breakthrough win in a bowl game.
Manziel gave the team a great complement in the press conference. He said Duke played with more heart and passion than any team he has faced.

Happy New Year better luck in 2014.

chaosmage
01-01-2014, 12:38 AM
I am sick and tired of hearing "missed calls" and "bad reffing". Stop it. We lost. And we didn't do what we wanted.

Just stop.

We're venting and we're upset. I think we are all aware of how close we came, we know our team made mistakes, but we also are pointing out other mistakes that resulted in our mistakes. Should we have won? The way we played, yes. And as far as I'm concerned, Texas A&M beat us, not Johnny Dorkziel. His defense made the winning plays.

I hope he goes pro so I can enjoy college ball and watch NFL defenses eat him alive.

moonpie23
01-01-2014, 12:40 AM
dang………3 mistakes…….

the biggest being not punching that TD in at the end of the first half…..

HUGE props and congrats to our team and staff for an incredible season….success breeds success and next year will be even better….

uh_no
01-01-2014, 12:41 AM
We're venting and we're upset. I think we are all aware of how close we came, we know our team made mistakes, but we also are pointing out other mistakes that resulted in our mistakes. Should we have won? The way we played, yes. And as far as I'm concerned, Texas A&M beat us, not Johnny Dorkziel. His defense made the winning plays.

I hope he goes pro so I can enjoy college ball and watch NFL defenses eat him alive.

lets be real, every time he touched the ball after some point, they scored...and even in the first few drives, bad penalties on evans killed them....manziel played a great game.....he needed a bit of help from the D for sure, but to pretend that he wasn't the main driver of that comeback is disingenuous...they scored when we scored, they scored when we didn't score...every time he touched it they were going for 6

chaosmage
01-01-2014, 12:43 AM
lets be real, every time he touched the ball after some point, they scored...and even in the first few drives, bad penalties on evans killed them....manziel played a great game.....he needed a bit of help from the D for sure, but to pretend that he wasn't the main driver of that comeback is disingenuous...they scored when we scored, they scored when we didn't score...every time he touched it they were going for 6

I'll phrase it this way; to listen to the game being called, I expected him to feed the stadium after the game with loaves and fish, followed by turning the water into wine.

I think the better way to say it is that he didn't beat us on a game winning drive to add to his legend. More accurate?

dukelifer
01-01-2014, 12:43 AM
As well as the offense played -- especially Anthony Boone -- I can't be upset by a couple of errors at the end. And I can't be too upset with the defense, either; after all, they were playing an all-time great college quarterback. Spectacular game, outstanding season. With just a couple of exceptions, the offense made every play it needed to, but in this game it would have had to make every single one to win. Almost did it.

A&M did this to almost every team they played. Alabama with a pro defense only held them to 42. A&M had trouble scoring at the end of the season because Manziel was beat up. Duke had a couple of chances in the second half that came up a tad short. It was clear that Manziel was not to be denied tonight. Great players make plays. He did all night long. Duke played with passion and heart in a memorable game. While I wanted to see Manziel cry- it just wasn't meant to be.

DBFAN
01-01-2014, 12:46 AM
dang………3 mistakes…….

the biggest being not punching that TD in at the end of the first half…..

HUGE props and congrats to our team and staff for an incredible season….success breeds success and next year will be even better….

There seemed to be a lot going on there at the end of the first half. Cut was obviously upset with the officiating. I don't know if it was ignoring a timeout being called or whether or not he was upset at the play not being reviewed. Not sure if there was clock mismanagement or the the fact that the refs might as well have been on walkers bringing the ball back to the line. The time in which it took them to bring the ball back was a little silly

flyingdutchdevil
01-01-2014, 12:48 AM

You're right. Sucked.

We got beat. Let's face it and get on

Next play

Done.

FYI I hate this feeling.

Ps. Stop blaming the refs

DBFAN
01-01-2014, 12:48 AM
I'll phrase it this way; to listen to the game being called, I expected him to feed the stadium after the game with loaves and fish, followed by turning the water into wine.

I think the better way to say it is that he didn't beat us on a game winning drive to add to his legend. More accurate?

And don't forget the healing of the lepers, during timeouts, it was a sight to behold

DBFAN
01-01-2014, 12:50 AM
You're right. Sucked.

We got beat. Let's face it and get on

Next play

Done.

FYI I hate this feeling.

Ps. Stop blaming the refs

You're right because officiating isn't part of the game right.

SoCalDukeFan
01-01-2014, 12:55 AM
I thought the refs blew it on the first PI non call, thats really part of the game.

We could have won. We showed belong with the big boys.

Johnny Football can not walk on water but he is one great college qb. I think he might be fine on Sundays.

Congrats to Coach Cut and the team for a great season.

Tough one to lose.

SoCal

uh_no
01-01-2014, 01:03 AM

part of the game...but also something you can't do anything about...so silly to worry about....it's like blaming rain for a loss....while you CAN, it's generally unproductive, since it's not something you can fix...just something you have to deal with sometimes....ESPECIALLY when you can point to mistakes that COULD have been fixed, which in this game on our side, there were several

-bdbd
01-01-2014, 01:06 AM
So close... Boone has to be kicking himself, and he shouldn't. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have been anywhere close. Our boys played a great game, and I'll take it. Two UNX fans called me very impressed with how they played, and agreeing that A&M would have spanked the Holes. So the boys did a great job.

Bring on the next season.

No doubt that Boone is probably just devastated, which is a total shame after the tremendous game he played.

I just got back to my downtown ATL hotel, after walking back from the game. Also attended the Belk last year.
- This one was much noisier - probably hard to get a real complete sense of that on TV, but I'm sure the early-burnt TO's were directly related to the fact that the TAM crowd was REALLY revved up during their comeback.
- Duke fans really turned out well for this one. I didn't have a good angle, sitting deep in the lower-level Duke section (behind the endzone), but it appeared that Duke AT LEAST equaled the A&M crowd size. (The announced crowd was just a hair under 70K, with upper-level endzone having a lot of empties.) Certainly walking around downtown ATL today - World of Coke, Centennial Plaza, CFA parade - Duke fans were clearly at no disadvantage numerically.
- Am anxious to watch the replay and see how the TV announcers were calling the second half. It seemed in the Duke section that Duke started playing a bit scared after the failed 4th down attempt in the 3rd.
- Speaking of what the TV guys were saying, from the jumbo-tron, the called-back Duke TD in the final 3 minutes of the game looked pretty iffy. We were cheering for Cut to throw the red flag... Did the announcers replay that knee-down call that bought it back 40 yards? Was the video too inconclusive or just not a reviewable call? I also agree that there was an obviously blown PI call early in the final drive - the Duke section was booing loudly after the replay.
-I SAW OZZIE (twice!) on the jumbo-tron. After a couple of big Duke plays (2nd quarter - one with about 2 minutes left) they flashed to a Duke section and there was Ozzie up front in his blue Duke FB jersey with the big "9F" as the jersey number! 'bout spit out my drink! ;)

I am very proud of this team. While I must say that, without exception, all of the TAM fans we met in ATL this week were very nice, my sense was that they were not really respecting our FB team. They universally truly EXPECTED to win handily. We earned some more respect, but this is two bowls in a row I've attended where opposing fans, afterwards, were telling us how surprisingly well Duke played...in defeat. It has officially gotten old. This does NOT feel like a moral victory at all. I very much am looking forward to next year and winning one finally!

Go Duke!
('still very proud of Duke FB!)

Newton_14
01-01-2014, 01:08 AM
Agonizing loss, but damn proud of our Blue Devils. Tonight we watched a Duke Football team, playing in what I feel is a Major Bowl, in a Dome, on the biggest stage, on National TV, and not only did they look like they belonged, they did belong. I honestly am sitting here feeling like A&M pulled off one heck of an upset off the back of one of the most special kids to ever snap on a helmet in a College Game. Without Number 2, Duke wins this game going away. Our team belonged on that stage (which also shows just how good FSU is) and were it not for a couple of bad play calls, and getting a bit unlucky with the confusion at the end of the first half, they win the game inspite of Number 2. Had Powell clearly not got in on that play, we had plenty of time left to call a timeout, take another shot at the endzone, or hold the timeout and run a quick play. With how things were going, we may have very well scored a TD using either of those options. Then the two bad play calls on 3rd and short on the first two drives of the 2nd half, really hurt us. Even with those mistakes, we still had a great chance to win the game, before the final two mistakes (both pics) finally did us in.

I honestly never thought I would see in my lifetime, a Duke Football team on that stage, playing like that Duke team played tonight. The loss sucks simply because we should have won the game, but I am still sitting here in kind of a surreal state, digesting the fact that I just watched a Duke Football team go toe to toe with a very good team from the big bad SEC, which is constantly labeled as the best football conference in the nation and rightfully so.

I feel for our guys, especially Anthony. He played a marvelous game on the whole, but just made two very costly mistakes, but in reality it should have never come to that. He should have been milking the clock with a 14 to 17 point lead by that point in the game, and at some point been kneeling down in the Victory Formation.

This program has arrived and I don't believe this year was a fluke. I fully believe it will go down as the year Duke started their run of many great Football seasons and Bowl wins are on the horizon.

Hold your heads high Blue Devils. You have nothing to be ashamed of. Let the painful loss inspire you to work harder and finish the job the next time around.

Go Duke!

AtlDuke72
01-01-2014, 01:09 AM

We were at the game and could not see the replay. Did Crowder's knee hit the ground on the play with a little over two minutes left when he kept running to the end zone? It was an incredible crowd and the best game I have ever seen. Officiating is part of the game and does determine outcomes.

chaosmage
01-01-2014, 01:11 AM
We were at the game and could not see the replay. Did Crowder's knee hit the ground on the play with a little over two minutes left when he kept running to the end zone? It was an incredible crowd and the best game I have ever seen. Officiating is part of the game and does determine outcomes.

It did, barely. It was close enough to be iffy, but from the wife's view (who is neutral in times like this) it did hit the ground. Unfortunately.

gotoguy
01-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Just returned from the game. Awesome experience. Great effort by our team but the turnovers...
A and M scored so quickly. At the end of the first half goal line play Boone was signaling timeout with at least nine seconds to play. No official saw him. Then Cut got conservative and went for the FG. On the second half drive that took us to the 2 yard line with that amazing catch for first and goal I think Cut wasted a play with that fade route on first down. Shoulda run it, hindsight being 20/20. What happened on Crowder's catch and run on the last or next to last drive when he was down because his knee touched. The replay in the dome was inconclusive. Was he really down? Lots of yards after that changes everything.

Congratulations to the coaches and players for the most memorable season I've witnessed in 40 years. When does spring practice start?

El_Diablo
01-01-2014, 01:22 AM
Just returned from the game. Awesome experience. Great effort by our team but the turnovers...
A and M scored so quickly. At the end of the first half goal line play Boone was signaling timeout with at least nine seconds to play. No official saw him. Then Cut got conservative and went for the FG. On the second half drive that took us to the 2 yard line with that amazing catch for first and goal I think Cut wasted a play with that fade route on first down. Shoulda run it, hindsight being 20/20. What happened on Crowder's catch and run on the last or next to last drive when he was down because his knee touched. The replay in the dome was inconclusive. Was he really down? Lots of yards after that changes everything.

Congratulations to the coaches and players for the most memorable season I've witnessed in 40 years. When does spring practice start?

Crowder's elbow and knee were both down.

Newton_14
01-01-2014, 01:26 AM
It actually wasn't that close. The replay clearly showed that his knee touched down as well as his elbow. Watching it live I thought he was good, but once they showed the replay it showed him to be clearly down with knee and elbow. So close. So dang close.

devildeac
01-01-2014, 01:29 AM
Yea, not sure how they saw enough to overturn it. The ball looked like it *might* have hit the ground, but it also looked like McCaffrey's elbow *might* have been under the ball. There wasn't conclusive evidence, IMO, and the ball never moved, so who knows.

I'm more irritated by the numerous missed PI calls, including the first one of the game on the flea flicker, and the bigger one where McCaffrey got hit before he was able to catch the ball.

Just stop.

Word from the sidelines from one of the managers said Cut was livid with the officiating for the numerous references as above with missed/ignored calls, especially on the last drive. Take it for what it's worth. I'll trust my sources on that one.

devildeac
01-01-2014, 01:31 AM
There seemed to be a lot going on there at the end of the first half. Cut was obviously upset with the officiating. I don't know if it was ignoring a timeout being called or whether or not he was upset at the play not being reviewed. Not sure if there was clock mismanagement or the the fact that the refs might as well have been on walkers bringing the ball back to the line. The time in which it took them to bring the ball back was a little silly

He was probably upset at two things. The first being the ref on the goal line who signaled TD, then changed his mind. The other was with the clock being allowed to run out as we called time out, I think.

devildeac
01-01-2014, 01:44 AM
An even sadder note was watching one of the photographers run out on the field after the game and collapse. CPR looked to start pretty soon but one of the managers just texted my son-in-law that he did not survive. Very sad.

Duke4life92
01-01-2014, 02:30 AM
not running the ball on the Boone pick 6... needed to run clock there and it was only 1st or 2nd down

Great season but oh i wished we'd run the ball on 2nd down and 5 then ran it again after that-use up clock late with lead.Pick 6 pass should have nevr happened but oh well.

gurufrisbee
01-01-2014, 02:44 AM
The team played great and gave us all tons to be proud of and feel great rooting for.

Did we get screwed on a couple not called pass interferences and on the overturned reception? Absolutely, but none of them were 1/100th as awesome as how well Boone played.

Did we get outcoached in not running the ball on 4th and 1 and continuing to try to only run up the middle in the second half when A&M was loading the box? Probably, but we also scared the crap out of a team that starts three guys going in the first round of the next NFL draft with a bunch of kids who never would have even been recruited by A&M.

Does it make almost zero sense to do a delayed all out blitz against a Heisman trophy winning QB with a fast release in a quick passing offense? Absolutely, but we also saw first hand how big one mistake and one turnover could be.

A&M only lost four games all season - and all of them were to teams in the top 15. And three of them (all in the top ten) lost by one touchdown or less. And only Alabama with dozens of future NFL players scored as much as we did tonight.

Definitely should be holding our heads high and be excited for the future. And maybe eat some hamburgers.

nyesq83
01-01-2014, 03:42 AM
Watching replay - dread looms.

So proud of this team. We will get better. Thanks to all.

UrinalCake
01-01-2014, 04:11 AM
.Those missed calls were HUGE. But not why the game was lost. Several key "shoulda/coulda/woulda" plays decided this one....

I agree, and would also add their kickoff guy, who put the ball deep into the end zone almost every single time. I think we only had one or two returnable kicks all game, which gave us a pretty bad average starting field position and no chances at making a big play on a return.

We could also make a list of plays that helped us build that big lead in the first half:
- missed field goal on A&M's opening drive, when they had marched right down the field and it looked like it was going to be a long night for us.
- two penalties on Evans (I thought we got away with a PI call on that opening drive. Though the ensuing play which set him off was a good call)
- blocked punt
- recovered onsides kick

So a combination of mistakes on their part and big plays by our special teams.

As for whether Crowder's knee was down, I think it was and the announcers made a good point that it was almost better for Duke to NOT score right away. If manziel had gotten the ball back he would have almost certainly scored, so our only chance of winning was to run the clock down and score with little to no time left.

Mabdul Doobakus
01-01-2014, 04:31 AM
My experience watching this game was a little weird...I watched the first 10 minutes live, before heading out for the evening. I came back (unspoiled) to watch the game on the DVR, only to have my DVR hiccup and send the recording all the way to the tail end for no apparent reason...before I could react I caught the final score, but I didn't catch the winner. However, based on the score, I knew whichever team got 2 FGs would lose. So, I was rooting for Duke to miss our FG attempts. It worked on the middle one, but once Martin made that FG at the end of the 3rd, I knew we had lost. Maybe that cushioned the blow some...

Anyway, I didn't get to experience the same crushing feeling that some of you may have experienced...just wanted to say that I'm proud of the team's effort in this game and the whole season. They kept making big plays even late into the 4th, but caught a couple of tough breaks with the turnovers, and that was enough to flip the outcome. Still, this was a fun game, and I think even with the loss, it's a nice step for the program, to be able to keep pace with Johnny Football in a high profile game that a lot of people will talk about and remember. A win would have been great for the fans and players, but with regards to the long-term goals of the program, I kind of feel like they got the job done.

Now I'm going into 2014 EXPECTING to be in a bowl game...maybe not a high profile bowl game, but then again...maybe. Hopefully next year we can finally get that bowl win.

Mabdul Doobakus
01-01-2014, 04:33 AM
On a separate note, there was one punt all evening, and it went backwards. Can't remember ever seeing that before.

dukelifer
01-01-2014, 07:13 AM
I thought the refs blew it on the first PI non call, thats really part of the game.

We could have won. We showed belong with the big boys.

Johnny Football can not walk on water but he is one great college qb. I think he might be fine on Sundays.

Congrats to Coach Cut and the team for a great season.

Tough one to lose.

SoCal

Manziel is going to have to learn to contain that emotion at the next level. He had a ton of talent but a pro needs to be under more control on and off the field. He is like one if those kids who doesn't have to study in high school and then gets to college and finds that approach will not get it done. I would be afraid to draft him and I would be afraid not to draft him. My gut is that he burns out very fast in the NFL.

Wander
01-01-2014, 08:33 AM
I completely disagree. Down the stretch, we unsuccessfully went deep on 1st down several times. Hindsight says we should have run the ball or threw a short pass.

Why? Considering how many first downs we picked up and points we scored, I don't see how play calling even in hindsight was an issue. Even the missed PI call didn't really matter as we picked up the first down anyway. Boone has an old bad habit of getting too cute with throwing the ball away while taking sacks. I think this is the first time it's actually hurt us, but no need to make things more complicated than that. Obviously had a great game otherwise.

Bob Green
01-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Why?

Just an observation, I'm not complaining only commenting.

I believe we should have run more and passed less, down the stretch, when we had the lead and the ball. On Boone's interception play, it was 2nd and 5, we had the lead, with two plays to gain five yards and burn clock, but the staff decided to throw the ball. Oh well. Hindsight is always 20/20. Overall, the coaching staff called a solid game.

CDu
01-01-2014, 09:39 AM

Both Crowder's knee and his elbow hit the ground. It was absolutely the right call. Nothing iffy about it.

weezie
01-01-2014, 09:40 AM
So bummed, yet proud of our players.

Though I can't stand Mr. Manziel and his carrying on, he did say some good things about how Duke played with passion for their fans, coaches and school. Seemed pretty sincere about that.

BD80
01-01-2014, 09:53 AM
... I hope [Manziel] goes pro so I can enjoy college ball and watch NFL defenses eat him alive.

He might blow up in the pros ala Russell Wilson, more likely he gets blown up.

On a separate note, there was one punt all evening, and it went backwards. Can't remember ever seeing that before.

Actually it bounced straight up. That block had hang time!

Kind of odd talking about Duke football in January, when does basketball start?

jv001
01-01-2014, 09:53 AM

I believe we should have run more and passed less, down the stretch, when we had the lead and the ball. On Boone's interception play, it was 2nd and 5, we had the lead, with two plays to gain five yards and burn clock, but the staff decided to throw the ball. Oh well. Hindsight is always 20/20. Overall, the coaching staff called a solid game.

I watched the game at a New Years party with my church friends. I think I was the only Duke fan there and I was surrounded by mostly tarhole fans. To my surprise almost all of them were rooting for Duke. They hated A&M more than they do Duke. My only complaint was at the beginning of the 2nd half, A&M set their defense to stop the run, which they did for the most part. After the first series, I would have liked to see Duke pass more on first downs. That would have gotten A&M out of that defense. It killed our "MO" and they got hot. They scored on every possession in the 2nd half except the kneel down at the end. Great season, great bunch of guys and a great coach. Looking forward to 2014 Duke Football. GoDuke!

moonpie23
01-01-2014, 09:57 AM
i don't really "like" johnny football, but when's the last time you saw a QB extend his hand to help the guy who just hit him hard, up off the ground? he's a fuel-injected-multi-talented-no-brakes hemi…………he wants to win and he's got the horsepower to get it done….

still sad that we had such a great game and still lost :(

Bob Green
01-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Coach Cutcliffe press conference:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200&id=3149352

He states all three running backs were banged up in the 2nd half, which made it difficult without Duncan.

Merlindevildog91
01-01-2014, 10:18 AM
A retired judge I sometimes practice in front of suggested to me on FB that I seek indictments for robbery against the referees after the end of the game. (He also suggested that JM might need to get a stalking warrant against the announcers.)

Tremendous season from our guys. I'm extremely proud of them and look for more good things in 2014. But that doesn't take today's sting out any.

OldPhiKap
01-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Still too soon to post much, other than to say I am extremely proud of our team and disappointed we could not hang on.

Big picture -- if I told you in August that Duke would win ten games, win in Blacksburg, beat Miami, retain the Victory Bell with a road win, win its division, play for the conference championship, and play in a major major bowl with a chance to win on its last possession, all of us have paid top dollar to see that happen. And we did it!

Congrats to A&M, both teams played with passion and intensity at a high level. Someone had to hold the short end, unfortunately we came up on that side of the ledger. But I doubt folks will take Duke lightly, if they saw the game. Duke is not a fluke.

Side note, had a great chance to see old friends (some I had not seen in close to thirty years) and to meet part of the DBR family (devildeac and Ozzie, among others I am sure). The future is bright, and always builds upon the past. Bowls are worth attending, and hope to do so again next year.

Great year. Now basketball for awhile, and then start looking forward to next year's edition of The Cutcliffe Project.

Let's Go Duke!

Reilly
01-01-2014, 11:14 AM

Maybe we had three plays to gain five yards: 2d down, 3d down, and 4th down ... could've gone it for it there ....

fitimi1
01-01-2014, 12:31 PM

I don't call it a conspiracy; it was 2 blown calls by the officials, particularly, the first one. We will never know how that impacted the game, if at all, but sure hate to see a game decided by refs. Was watching the game with a "crowd" and I was the only Duke fan in the room. All to a person stated that it was a bad call. That will certainly leave a "bad taste" in my mouth. Feel so very sorry for the Seniors.

uh_no
01-01-2014, 12:44 PM
I don't call it a conspiracy; it was 2 blown calls by the officials, particularly, the first one. We will never know how that impacted the game, if at all, but sure hate to see a game decided by refs. Was watching the game with a "crowd" and I was the only Duke fan in the room. All to a person stated that it was a bad call. That will certainly leave a "bad taste" in my mouth. Feel so very sorry for the Seniors.

so it wasn't decided by interceptions on consecutive possessions? should we also comment on the very iffy late hit on evans that killed an A&M drive?

burnspbesq
01-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Yeah, that hurt. That hurt a lot. But consider this.

Cutcliffe: two bowl losses.
K: four (or was it five?) Final Four losses before the breakthrough.
Dano: three Final Four losses before the breakthrough.

It's out there. It's coming.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Regarding the questionable calls:

- the catch that was reversed to a no catch was awful. If the initial ruling had been no catch, I would be less upset about it, but once a call is made, it takes much more evidence to reverse it, and there was no such evidence.
- There was at least one really bad missed pass interference call where our receiver was hit hard before the ball got to him
- Crowder was clearly down on the TD - good call by the refs
- The second 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct call on their receiver Evans appeared to be a bad call - it didn't seem like he did much wrong, particularly not enough to be called for a 15 yard penalty. As the announcers noted, he was being watched closely after his first penalty.

The officiating "expert" in the booth with the announcers was useless - there was at least one call where he just made things more confusing rather than clarifying.

Pet peeve - the announcers kept calling Manziel "Johnny". Musberger does this sometimes too. If you are going to call everyone else by their last name, don't suck up to one particular player and call him by his first name or nickname. If they were going to do this, then I would have liked to have heard more about "Jamison."

Despite my frustrations with some of these calls, they did not decide the game. It is just preferable to see a well officiated game.

greybeard
01-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Thursday,PTI, Kornheisser did not only "took the spread,", but picked the score, 55 to 48. Wilbon said he was nuts. Next PTI threatens to be great.

DBFAN
01-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Was there any clarification on what happened at the end of the first half. It was strange to say the least. I felt like I was having to watch Romo mismanage the clock again..SMH. Although I wasn't convinced that was Dukes fault

Bob Green
01-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Ross Cockrell deserves props for the great job he did last night. Yeah, he probably got away with a little grab and push, now and then, but overall he was outstanding!

Devilnole
01-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Still too soon to post much, other than to say I am extremely proud of our team and disappointed we could not hang on.

Big picture -- if I told you in August that Duke would win ten games, win in Blacksburg, beat Miami, retain the Victory Bell with a road win, win its division, play for the conference championship, and play in a major major bowl with a chance to win on its last possession, all of us have paid top dollar to see that happen. And we did it!

Congrats to A&M, both teams played with passion and intensity at a high level. Someone had to hold the short end, unfortunately we came up on that side of the ledger. But I doubt folks will take Duke lightly, if they saw the game. Duke is not a fluke.

Side note, had a great chance to see old friends (some I had not seen in close to thirty years) and to meet part of the DBR family (devildeac and Ozzie, among others I am sure). The future is bright, and always builds upon the past. Bowls are worth attending, and hope to do so again next year.

Great year. Now basketball for awhile, and then start looking forward to next year's edition of The Cutcliffe Project.

Let's Go Duke!
Love Cut and our team. What a super season. Happy New Year to all us Dukies.

DBFAN
01-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Was there any clarification on what happened at the end of the first half. It was strange to say the least. I felt like I was having to watch Romo mismanage the clock again..SMH. Although I wasn't convinced that was Dukes fault

I am really interested because I wanna know why there was no official review on that. Does it have to be called a TD on the field before it can be reviewed. If not, why did one not take place. You can prob see where I'm going with this, because if they didn't say there was enough to review that, then how on earth did they conclude there was "overwhelming" evidence to overturn our completion.

Yes I hear what some of you are saying about the catch being overturned, and the PI not deciding what lost the game. What I disagree with here is to ignore that those calls were PART of the game, and they, just like bad plays by the teams, have to be scrutinized as well. If those 2 calls don't happen on our last drive, we are talking about an extra 15-20 sec and an extra 30 yards maybe up the field. That by itself would change the play calling, and would have taken some pressure off the offense, and would have felt less rushed.

FerryFor50
01-01-2014, 01:56 PM
I am really interested because I wanna know why there was no official review on that. Does it have to be called a TD on the field before it can be reviewed. If not, why did one not take place. You can prob see where I'm going with this, because if they didn't say there was enough to review that, then how on earth did they conclude there was "overwhelming" evidence to overturn our completion.

Yes I hear what some of you are saying about the catch being overturned, and the PI not deciding what lost the game. What I disagree with here is to ignore that those calls were PART of the game, and they, just like bad plays by the teams, have to be scrutinized as well. If those 2 calls don't happen on our last drive, we are talking about an extra 15-20 sec and an extra 30 yards maybe up the field. That by itself would change the play calling, and would have taken some pressure off the offense, and would have felt less rushed.

Review only comes on a score. Duke should have used their timeout.

On the replay there was nothing conclusive showing he was in. Would not have been overturned.

A-Tex Devil
01-01-2014, 02:17 PM
I am still devastated by last night's loss. Ahead of the game, I heard Aggies say things like "I can't believe we can't get a better bowl matchup," and ask the outrageous question, "Is Duke the worst team A&M has ever played in a bowl?" (Nevermind that A&M has, themselves, sent some horrid teams to bowl games). I wanted blood.

But there is no moral victory from last night -- our OC panicked and went away from the run game, we made mistakes, we, as expected, couldn't slow down an offense that only LSU could figure out all year. It's worse than the Belk Bowl loss in so many ways.

All that said -- it crystallizes how far Duke football has come when a team like Texas A&M that (1) had the returning Heisman winner (objectively one of the best QBs ever to put on pads in the college game), (2) had national title aspirations, (3) should have beaten Auburn, a team that is now playing for it all, and (4) has bought into the infallible "SEC!!! SEC!!" mindset more than most of the schools in the conference outside Alabama ever have .... celebrated like they just won the ... national title after beating Duke... in football...

That's how far we've come. Thanks, David Cutcliffe and all the seniors. This was supposed to be a "one step back year" after last year's 2 steps forward. It was a great leap forward, and I can't wait for next year.

SoCalDukeFan
01-01-2014, 03:15 PM
As in 86 I am extremely proud of the team.

In 86 I thought the best was yet to come and I feel that way about Duke football in 13/14.

We did not win either game or the court or the field, but I think we won a lot of hearts in both.

Go Duke

SoCalDukeFan
01-01-2014, 03:17 PM
1. Johnny Football was magnificent. Say what you will, he was great. We win against a very good QB.

2. Two turnovers in the 2nd Half.

3. Less effective running attack in the 2nd half, maybe related to injury.

SoCal

_Gary
01-01-2014, 03:18 PM

On the replay there was nothing conclusive showing he was in. Would not have been overturned.

Yep. That play ended with something like 10 or so seconds left in the half and they let all that time run off before finally calling the TO. They could and should have had at least one more shot at the end zone before having to attempt a field goal. Big, big blunder that certainly contributed to the loss (in terms of having to settle for 3 instead of potentially getting 7).

That was truly a gut-wrenching loss. The only other times I felt this bad after a Duke loss was with the men's bb team in '99 and the women's bb meltdown against Maryland.

Faison1
01-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Just got back from Atlanta. A lot of time to digest the game.

Every five minutes I think, "Wow! I can't believe we didn't win that!" But I have to remind myself that as bad as I feel, Boone must be feeling miserable. Poor kid. What a fantastic game he had. Looked rock solid all night until the last dreadful 6.5 minutes.

I spoke with some of my hardcore SEC friends on the trip back, and all admitted major respect for Duke. In fact, one of my more fanatical Georgia friends said it might rank as one of the best games he's ever seen. It had everything: onside kicks, blocked punts, huge plays, lots of scoring, marquee players making plays, good quality play calling, and passionate fans.

A couple things that take away some of the bitter taste: Duke returns the majority of the team. They will almost assuredly be in the pre-season top 25 next year. Every recruit was watching how awesome the game was last night. And Duke just gained major respect from the entire football community. Cutcliffe really has something going on here.

I am totally bummed about last night, but super proud of what our guys accomplished this season. It was magical. We are so, so lucky to have hired Coach Cut. At a minimum, he will have a statue erected.

Side note: My Tennessee friend still can't believe they bungled the hiring of Cutcliffe. What he could do with five-star recruits boggles the mind.

cspan37421
01-01-2014, 03:33 PM

In 86 I thought the best was yet to come and I feel that way about Duke football in 13/14.

We did not win either game or the court or the field, but I think we won a lot of hearts in both.

Go Duke

I don't know about you guys, but I'm proud of our guys for putting a huge, game-long scare into A&M, and the loss is definitely not as bad as when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Faison1
01-01-2014, 03:36 PM

Go Duke

Small correction: Louisville.

I cried after that one, thinking we would never be that good again.

I feel the exact same way about football right now.....didn't cry, but was reminded of '86....the future is VERY bright.

cspan37421
01-01-2014, 04:02 PM
but was reminded of '86....the future is VERY bright.

Maybe not too distant, if we have so many coming back. In '86 we lost 80% of our starters (unless Ferry started for Bilas, which I think he did in the semifinal but maybe not the final). We also didn't have a ton in the cupboard (among returners, I think only Ferry logged serious time in the NBA).

dalmatians98
01-01-2014, 04:05 PM
An even sadder note was watching one of the photographers run out on the field after the game and collapse. CPR looked to start pretty soon but one of the managers just texted my son-in-law that he did not survive. Very sad.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/01/ap-photographer-collapses-chikfila-bowl-dies

arnie
01-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Just got back from Atlanta. A lot of time to digest the game.

A couple things that take away some of the bitter taste: Duke returns the majority of the team. They will almost assuredly be in the pre-season top 25 next year

I believe we will be solid, but don't bet on top 25 preseason next year. In fact, local writers may have us no better than 4th or 5th in Coastal. Expect Miami, VaT, Holes and maybe GaT will be picked ahead of us. Doesn't really matter, since we were picked 7th in Coastal this year.

Bigger question for me, will we be ranked in final poles this year?? If do, 1st time since early 60's I guess.

dukelifer
01-01-2014, 04:18 PM

Go Duke

Perhaps the only similarity is that '86 marked the point where the program under K was officially established as this is the year that Cutcliffe established his team. That '86 was a win from the championship. A bowl game is a cherry on the season. This was a very entertaining game and Duke lost because a great college player played great. But this game is simply another measuring stick and showed what we all know - to make the next step - the D has to get better. This team had a great stretch where the D was bending but not breaking. It needs to get better but the program is in a place that I never thought it would ever get- a competitive football team that is fun to watch.

OldPhiKap
01-01-2014, 05:04 PM
I believe we will be solid, but don't bet on top 25 preseason next year. In fact, local writers may have us no better than 4th or 5th in Coastal. Expect Miami, VaT, Holes and maybe GaT will be picked ahead of us. Doesn't really matter, since we were picked 7th in Coastal this year.

Bigger question for me, will we be ranked in final poles this year?? If do, 1st time since early 60's I guess.

Is there another poll? Certainly not a BCS one.

I would hope, after last night, that folks realize that Cut's Duke team is a different animal than past years. But anyone who wants to overlook us, good luck to them.

arnie
01-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Is there another poll? Certainly not a BCS one.

I would hope, after last night, that folks realize that Cut's Duke team is a different animal than past years. But anyone who wants to overlook us, good luck to them.

I'm fairly sure final AP and coaches polls come out after bowls are complete. We fell out of the 89 season poll after losing to Texas Tech- don't recall if we were ranked at end of 94 reg season, but not ranked after bowl loss to Wisconsin.

devilsadvocate85
01-01-2014, 05:21 PM

Every play of the game is reviewed. The play is stopped by the replay booth if there is uncertainty about the play and the issue in question would have an impact on the game (first down vs. no first down, significant difference in the spot of the ball, stepping out of bounds, fumble/no fumble, catch/no catch, etc). More care is given on turnovers and "scoring" plays. Calling a timeout gives the replay official more time to review.

Challenging the play forces the replay officials hand. The replay booth sees the same thing you see on television. Challenging that play would have given us the chance to see every angle ESPN had and would have effectively been the same as calling a timeout. I think we should have challenged.

devildeac
01-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Another "note" from the sidelines after my son-in-law talked with one of the managers. On the pick 6, our receiver apparently ran the wrong route. Instead of continuing his slant pattern, he broke upfield so we gotta cut AB some slack on that one. But, I do agree with a couple posts made previously that a run there might have been a better choice.

Also, regarding the confusion at the end of the first half (time out, no time out, TD, no TD), We clearly saw the ref on the goal line near the A&M band raise both his hands in the air for a TD signal and then pulled them down. Strange. Very strange. He either anticipated the call or...

DBFAN
01-01-2014, 05:41 PM

Ok so my next question is this. Was there anyone there or saw anything that might have indicated we were trying to get a timeout. It just seemed odd to me that Cut was having some words with the ref in the middle of all of that. I would also expect Cut would be very aware about the review rules and would have been begging for a timeout. The only thing we could see on the TV was the refs bringing the ball back while time expired.

OldPhiKap
01-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Another "note" from the sidelines after my son-in-law talked with one of the managers. On the pick 6, our receiver apparently ran the wrong route. Instead of continuing his slant pattern, he broke upfield so we gotta cut AB some slack on that one. But, I do agree with a couple posts made previously that a run there might have been a better choice.

Also, regarding the confusion at the end of the first half (time out, no time out, TD, no TD), We clearly saw the ref on the goal line near the A&M band raise both his hands in the air for a TD signal and then pulled them down. Strange. Very strange. He either anticipated the call or...

dd, I just watched Cut's post-game conference. You might be interested, he addressed both. (Said he thought it was a TD at the end of the first half and sounded pissed, and on the pick he said that Anthony should have checked out of the play).

DBFAN
01-01-2014, 05:43 PM

I knew there had to be more to that than just bad clock management.

SheltonBob
01-01-2014, 06:54 PM
I knew there had to be more to that than just bad clock management.

DUKE FANS - Last night we saw a GAME Duke team lose to one of the GREAT QB performances of all time!! A play here and a play there might have resulted in a Duke win - but so what!! Duke showed the nation that football is back. This was probably the second most important Duke games of all time in football -Rose Bowl in Durham - the other. Enjoy!! Was Great!!

And One more thing - how classy was it of Coach Cut to start the press conference by referring to the illness that struck the AP photographer!

Thank you Coach Cut.

DBFAN
01-01-2014, 07:39 PM
DUKE FANS - Last night we saw a GAME Duke team lose to one of the GREAT QB performances of all time!! A play here and a play there might have resulted in a Duke win - but so what!! Duke showed the nation that football is back. This was probably the second most important Duke games of all time in football -Rose Bowl in Durham - the other. Enjoy!! Was Great!!

And One more thing - how classy was it of Coach Cut to start the press conference by referring to the illness that struck the AP photographer!

Thank you Coach Cut.

I don't think anybody here has ever argued that Duke didn't show how far they have come. And I am pretty sure nobody has said they were disappointed with this team, most of us were ecstatic to be in that position, to hint at anything else is uncalled for at best. I will say again that to ignore officiating as part of the game is strange. It is just as much a part of the game as the play of the team. If the officiating does not exist, then it isn't football in the sense that we know it. Acting as if those crucial calls would not have effected the game is just wrong. It may not have changed the final outcome, but it did change the game, for better or worse

Also pretty sure that nobody was not amazed with the play of Johnny football. He was great, annoying, but great.

JohnGalt
01-01-2014, 07:46 PM
1. Johnny Football was magnificent. Say what you will, he was great. We win against a very good QB.

2. Two turnovers in the 2nd Half.

3. Less effective running attack in the 2nd half, maybe related to injury.

SoCal

All three are true, but the bottomline is we had the ball on A&M's 38 with at least a minute and change remaining...and threw an interception. I feel horribly for Boone because he was the reason we were still in the game (8 for 8 on 3rd downs or whatever it was), but even despite moving away from the running game and how well Manziel played, we were there to win the game at the end...until the turnovers. Really, really hurts to lose that way.

All the best to the seniors. What a fun season!

Devilwin
01-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Hi! New on the site, but been a Duke fan since age ten. Gotta say, I am very pleased with what the team accomplished this year. I was, however, heartbroken last night. Coach Cut has the program headed in the right direction, for sure.
I feel, however, we gotta do something about that secondary, and quick. I realize many are young players, and they'll get better, but it was pathetic to say the least last night. Think about it. One stop, we win.
And the play calling, brilliant in the first half, was suspect at times in the second. No use whining about the obvious pass interference calls, nothing is gonna change that now.
I, like many, was sick of seeing Jonny Manziel's face on my screen constantly. I MEAN REALLY???
This was a football game, not a coronation!
Anyway, next year may be even better!
Now it's back to basketball, and go Duke!

devildeac
01-01-2014, 08:24 PM
dd, I just watched Cut's post-game conference. You might be interested, he addressed both. (Said he thought it was a TD at the end of the first half and sounded pissed, and on the pick he said that Anthony should have checked out of the play).

Raleigh N&O also referenced that INT and Cut said A&M had dropped a guy into short coverage and AB just looked at that area/receiver/coverage too long.

OldPhiKap
01-01-2014, 08:25 PM
Hi! New on the site, but been a Duke fan since age ten. Gotta say, I am very pleased with what the team accomplished this year. I was, however, heartbroken last night. Coach Cut has the program headed in the right direction, for sure.
I feel, however, we gotta do something about that secondary, and quick. I realize many are young players, and they'll get better, but it was pathetic to say the least last night. Think about it. One stop, we win.
And the play calling, brilliant in the first half, was suspect at times in the second. No use whining about the obvious pass interference calls, nothing is gonna change that now.
I, like many, was sick of seeing Jonny Manziel's face on my screen constantly. I MEAN REALLY???
This was a football game, not a coronation!
Anyway, next year may be even better!
Now it's back to basketball, and go Duke!

Welcome to the site.

To be fair, I think A&M hung at least 41 on every team but one this year -- including Alabama and Auburn. Not sure last night is a good indicator of how well the secondary has played at times this year.

Having said that, we bring a ton of players back next year and have new folks with quality coming in. The future looks bright.

devildeac
01-01-2014, 08:34 PM
All this is pretty ironic in the sense that A&M had one of the worst defenses in the nation (Yea, I know the foes they faced had a lot to do with that.), yet, their D made the two key plays in the last 2-3 minutes that won the game for them. And our offense, having kept Eat Mor Jonny (credit to OPK for that one) off the field for about 35 minutes and outgained A&M by 120 yards (661-541: Are you kidding me?!?!), made the only two TO of the night on our last two possessions.

And no, I am NOT in the dadgum Christmas, err, New Year's spirit either. Not yet anyway. But I'm working on it:o.

FerryFor50
01-01-2014, 09:05 PM

Quoting myself to clarify this at request of Reilly. :)

In college football, replay reviews always occur on the following:

- all scoring plays (including determining if a FG was good or not)
- all turnovers
- targeting penalties (to determine if an ejection is warranted)
- any play resulting in an ejection

There is a limited list of reviewable plays. Those are covered here:
http://www.dfoa.com/attachments/article/69/2013-14_Football_Rule_Book.pdf - page FR-106

Things like pass interference/holding, unfortunately, are not reviewable yet. Would love to see that added...

In addition, coaches can challenge plays up to twice a game any time other than inside the last 2 minutes of a half (I think... that may be an NFL only rule). At that point, all replay reviews come at the discretion of the replay officials in the booth.

That all is covered in section 5, starting on page FR-109:
http://www.dfoa.com/attachments/article/69/2013-14_Football_Rule_Book.pdf

The specific section that applies to the Duke non-TD run:

The replay official and his crew shall review every play of a game. He may stop a game at any time before the ball is next legally put in play (Exception: Rule 12-3-5-c) whenever he believes that:
1. There is reasonable evidence to believe an error was made in the initial on-field ruling.
2. The play is reviewable.
3. The outcome of a review would have a direct, competitive impact on the game.

The only time a replay review occurs from the booth is when there is seemingly clear evidence that a call was wrong. In the case of the TD/no TD run by Duke, there was not sufficient evidence to warrant reviewing the play as decreed by the replay booth (which I agree with... there was no way to tell if he got in from the replay). In the case of McCaffrey's catch, there was enough evidence to warrant another look. Obviously, the refs saw enough to overturn the play, but I did not.

However, as I mentioned, Duke should have called a timeout right after that play. There are multiple reasons for this.

- chance to score a TD on a pass and still get a FG if nothing is there (throw it out of the back of the end zone with enough time left)
- potentially initiate a booth review, as per this section, depending on if he can do that within 2 min (rules don't mention that) - at the very least, it may prompt the booth to send word of review down

A head coach initiates this challenge by taking a team timeout before the ball is next legally put in play (Exception:Rule 12-3-5-c) and informing the referee that he is challenging the ruling of the previous play. If a head coach’s challenge is successful, he retains the challenge, which he may use only once more during the game. Thus, a coach may have a total of two challenges if and only if his initial challenge is successful.

Honestly, getting the FG there didn't bug me that much - the drive was a gift anyway, as it was off an onsides kick. Plus, the bigger bonus was that it kept A&M's offense off the field the remainder of the half. As someone else mentioned, it was a potential 10 point swing.

OldPhiKap
01-01-2014, 09:08 PM
All this is pretty ironic in the sense that A&M had one of the worst defenses in the nation (Yea, I know the foes they faced had a lot to do with that.), yet, their D made the two key plays in the last 2-3 minutes that won the game for them. And our offense, having kept Eat Mor Jonny (credit to OPK for that one) off the field for about 35 minutes and outgained A&M by 120 yards (661-541: Are you kidding me?!?!), made the only two TO of the night on our last two possessions.

And no, I am NOT in the dadgum Christmas, err, New Year's spirit either. Not yet anyway. But I'm working on it:o.

This always helps me get over the tough loss blahs:

http://youtu.be/P2AZH4FeGsc

Even Vinko Bogataj can look back and laugh.

FerryFor50
01-01-2014, 09:10 PM

The only INT I was upset about was the one while he was getting sacked. That throw was inexplicably boneheaded. It wasn't 4th down. There was enough time to take the sack. Just take care of the ball.

FerryFor50
01-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Also, how huge would having Conner Vernon in that game have been? Or on the season? Deaver developed into a reliable 2nd option, and the three headed monster of Braxton/Blakeney/McCaffrey was decent, but having Crowder and Vernon on this year's team? Scary.

Such is the life of 4 year eligibility. :)

OldPhiKap
01-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Honestly, getting the FG there didn't bug me that much - the drive was a gift anyway, as it was off an onsides kick. Plus, the bigger bonus was that it kept A&M's offense off the field the remainder of the half. As someone else mentioned, it was a potential 10 point swing.

Cut said that he thought it was a TD, but regardless he was okay with the fg because we were going to start the next half with the ball and be looking to score.

FerryFor50
01-01-2014, 09:15 PM
Cut said that he thought it was a TD, but regardless he was okay with the fg because we were going to start the next half with the ball and be looking to score.

I felt the same. Except, they didn't score. Grrr. :mad:

House G
01-01-2014, 09:49 PM

Thank you Coach Cut.

Here is a nice summary of the game which, I believe, is very complimentary of Duke. My favorite quote was by Manziel after the game: "I was in a zone I haven't been in before, EVER. I just wanted this game."
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2014/01/01/JOHNNY-FOOTBALL-S-PEAK-MOMENT-COMES-AGAINST-DUKE-YEP

Reilly
01-01-2014, 10:10 PM
One way to look at the end of the half decision:
Chance of Ross making the 18 yd FG (nearly 100%) x 3 points = 3 point expected value
Chance of pushing it in from the 1 (70%(?)) x 6 = 4.2 point expected value

Basically, if you think there's more than a 50% chance of punching it in, go for it ....

From my seat in the lower level 27 rows up, shaded toward that goal line, watching Shaq's run through pretty powerful binoculars, I thought he clearly got the ball across the goal line .... I guess the ref on the goal line (and the TV cameras) did not have the same view I did ...

Dukehky
01-01-2014, 10:50 PM
I do not feel better about this game today.

Lot of little things to harp on. My biggest bugaboo, even at the time, was that we should have tried to punch it in at the 1 before the half. I understand what Cut wanted, but you could use that same reasoning to go for the TD too. But he didn't so it doesn't matter. We got outscored by 25 in the second half and that just isn't going to cut it.

This one isn't easy to swallow, and I'm not ever going to forget it, but it was an exciting game and I'm glad I was there to see it. Ross Cockrell's coverage of Evans last night probably moved him up an entire round in the draft. late 6th would be my guess. Gonna miss him the most.

Okay, so here is where I think improvement has to come next year. Our secondary is really young outside of Cockrell, and they are are really talented. If they continue to improve, they're going to be very strong. Our D-Line, they were great program guys and the worked hard and got big plays against some good teams, but they are not the physically gifted type of athletes that can consistently disrupt strong pass protections. The D Line, is in my opinion, the area of our team that needs to be better (I know we lose 3 key players from it) if we want to see marked improvement on the defensive side of the ball. The secondary can only do so much without strong pass rushing, and good D-line play allows the LBs to make big plays.

Okay, well that whole football season was certainly exciting, but now it's hoops time, and the Blue Devils are getting better, plus the Dali Laama said that on our death beds, we would receive total consciousness. So we got that going for us.

Newton_14
01-01-2014, 11:04 PM

Well, me neither DD. I learned something today and just felt the need to share it. Each time our basketball team loses in the NCAA tourney, I am done watching the tourney, except in a very few circumstances. Last year for example, I watched the FF and thoroughly enjoyed all 3 games as I felt our Devils just ran into the best team in the tourney and on top of that it turned into a "Cause Game" after the horrible injury to the Ware kid. So why the hell am I talking about hoops in this thread?

Because I love Bowl Season. Every year I watch as many of the Major Bowl games as possible (don't care much for the lesser bowls unless an ACC team is playing in it), and greatly look forward to the National Title game. So today I turn on the TV intending on watching the Rose and Fiesta Bowl. I lasted less than 2 minutes real time. I had the same sick to my stomach feeling that I have after Duke Basketball loses in the Dance, and just could not stomach watching Football. The loss last night hurt that bad. Which is a damn good thing because that is how it should be. For once I am glad the National Title game comes way too many days after New Years Day, because I am hoping to recover from this sickness in time to enjoy watching FSU kick the crap out of Auburn!

Duke Football has arrived, I just unfortunately learned that in a difficult manner gosh darn it! Where is my BB gun? :D

FerryFor50
01-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Where is my BB gun? :D

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

SoCalDukeFan
01-01-2014, 11:26 PM
but I would rather be competing at this level than not. Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all or something.
The hurt will go away when we win a major football game, which I expect to be next season. The loss also did not end anything like losing before the NC game in the NCAA Tournament ends your season. The careers of our seniors ended, but they would have ended anyway.

I really think this game is a major step for the football program. I know that Cut outrecruits the rankings, but I wish we would start to get some 4 and 5 stars.

Looking forward to next year.

SoCal

Son of Jarhead
01-01-2014, 11:55 PM

I'm working on it, too, devildeac... I'm working on it. :-\ ... as my niece put it last night: "Happy effin' New Year!"

Really proud of our team, our program. They represent Duke so well. (And a special thank you to our seniors!) It is times like last night that make me so very proud to be a Duke fan. I am so glad to have been able to go to the bowl game this year, and to be there with my dad, aka. Jarhead, and my brother Bob just made it that much more special. Here's to next year being even better yet again! :D Go Duke!!!!

stickdog
01-02-2014, 01:16 AM
http://gifsection.com/2013/12/duke-fan-chick-fil-bowl-duke-texas/duke-fan-asks-why/#.UsT9q1vUAug

OldPhiKap
01-02-2014, 02:03 AM
http://gifsection.com/2013/12/duke-fan-chick-fil-bowl-duke-texas/duke-fan-asks-why/#.UsT9q1vUAug

Just for the record, he is a super nice guy. And a very devoted fan.

stickdog
01-02-2014, 02:30 AM
Just for the record, he is a super nice guy. And a very devoted fan.

And the Rev's reaction was perfect for the moment that happened (2:51 left in the game). At least it was the exact same reaction I had at that instant.

roywhite
01-02-2014, 08:50 AM
I feel bad for the coaches and team to have played so well, and not gotten the victory.

Other than that, I have to say the bowl experience was terrific in many aspects:

Entertaining game -- like off-the-charts; fantastic plays, a simply great performance by a Heisman Trophy winner, just a thrilling overall contest that was cleanly played

School pride -- just great to see the Duke support there; great for the football program and the University to get the attention; on gameday afternoon, I was at the downtown ATL sportsbar Stats, and there must have been 50 former Duke football players there; talk about some proud and happy young men -- it was fantastic to see

Another step in program development -- It was a big stage with a matchup vs the mighty SEC, and Duke was up to the challenge; Coach David Cutcliffe has taken this program on a remarkable progression, and you've gotta believe he's not done yet; he got this team to play at an extremely high level, and will return many of the best players next year; recruiting is steadily progressing; the signing class of 2014 will help further, and the signing class of 2015 could be even better

Fun and friends -- saw many old friends there and made new ones. This bowl stuff could be addicting.

Channing
01-02-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm sure it has been said, but Duke fans had the Dome rocking! I was sitting across from the Duke section and it was awesome to watch the fans as well as the game. Considering Duke historically doesn't have the biggest football fandom, and Atlanta is definitely not Texas A&M's alumni center, the Dome was pretty full!

My only question is whether AB got hurt in the first half; it seemed like he handed off every read option in the second half and there may have been some opportunities for him to pull it down and run once or twice, if for no other reason than to keep the defense honest.

some of my thoughts:

(1) that first half had me as amped as any NCAA tournament game I have ever watched, including championship games;
(2) Texas A&M fans that I ran into on our way in and out were nothing but cordial and complimentary to our team;
(3) Texas A&M's band ... wow;
(4) the only people nearly as excited as Duke fans during that first half were Florida fans;
(5) I hope, and cannot wait to see, this performance, and everything Cut has done starts paying dividends in recruiting. I watched the game with two football coaches, both of whom have watched some, but not a lot of, Duke football over the past 2 years. They were blown away by how well our offense is coached, especially the O-Line.

killerleft
01-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Well, me neither DD. I learned something today and just felt the need to share it. Each time our basketball team loses in the NCAA tourney, I am done watching the tourney, except in a very few circumstances. Last year for example, I watched the FF and thoroughly enjoyed all 3 games as I felt our Devils just ran into the best team in the tourney and on top of that it turned into a "Cause Game" after the horrible injury to the Ware kid. So why the hell am I talking about hoops in this thread?

Because I love Bowl Season. Every year I watch as many of the Major Bowl games as possible (don't care much for the lesser bowls unless an ACC team is playing in it), and greatly look forward to the National Title game. So today I turn on the TV intending on watching the Rose and Fiesta Bowl. I lasted less than 2 minutes real time. I had the same sick to my stomach feeling that I have after Duke Basketball loses in the Dance, and just could not stomach watching Football. The loss last night hurt that bad. Which is a damn good thing because that is how it should be. For once I am glad the National Title game comes way too many days after New Years Day, because I am hoping to recover from this sickness in time to enjoy watching FSU kick the crap out of Auburn!

Duke Football has arrived, I just unfortunately learned that in a difficult manner gosh darn it! Where is my BB gun? :D

You pretty much expressed my feelings, sorry I can't spork you just yet. We've had a great year, and could have won this game. It feels strange to be so down after a Duke Football game, which just shows how much we've progressed. I hope my enthusiasm returns in tiime for the Panther game.

oldnavy
01-02-2014, 10:26 AM
Had a GREAT time at the game.

I came away with two impressions:

First, Johnny Manziel is amazingly good if not great at what he does. I went into the game having not watched a lot of TA&M or Manziel and my feeling was that he was a quirky, gimmicky type player. Well, he has an incredible arm and an amazing sixth sense about him. His arm strength was surprising, he hit several beautiful 15 to 20 yard out patterns that were just perfectly thrown balls. I think besides the scramble play where he appeared to be hemmed in and he bounce out and threw the TD pass, the most impressive play was when it appeared he was going to be sacked and he turned around only to find another defender in his face and he slung the ball about 40 yards across the field to avoid the sack. It is uncanny how he seems to be a few seconds ahead of everyone else on the field.

I have an amazing respect for his game and I think he will do very well in the NFL. He is undersized, but as Russel Wilson has proved, if you can play, you can play.

Johnny Manziel can play. I think that you could have substituted any other college quarterback in the nation (maybe in history) onto A&M's team and we would have won that game.

Second, Duke football is freaking good now. I spent many years pulling for Duke in FB, but to be honest, over the past decade or so I lost interest and passion. I simply got tired of putting my heart into it only to get the sense that I wanted it more than Duke wanted it. NOT NOW!!!! Holy smokes. I am so pumped after watching the game and seeing the crowd turn out in the Georgia Dome, I am probably going to buy season tickets for next year. The ONLY reason I may not is due to my having to work on most Saturdays, but I am going to actively pursue getting coverage so I can go. But season tics or not, I will be in Durham for some games this fall!

Congrats to the team and Coach Cut, it was an amazing season and thanks for reigniting my passion for Duke Football!!

Highlander
01-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Went to the game as well. Some of my thoughts:

1) We played about as perfect a half on offense as we could have. Other than getting a FG rather than a TD on the last drive, we scored a TD every time we touched the ball. We even made two huge plays on special teams. All we had to do was continue to score on at least half of our second half possessions.

2) Our defense could not stop Manziel. Other than the one punt and missed FG by A&M, he scored a TD or FG every time they got the ball. So we only had two defensive stops all game. Counting our missed FG, 4th down miss, and two INT's, A&M got 4 stops. That was the difference in the game.

3) Burning two timeouts in the second half trying to get the play called was killer. Especially when you consider that we run a no-huddle offense. Losing 2 of our 3 timeouts trying to get a play in was inexcusable.

4) Don't understand the rollout on 4th and 1, or why Connette didn't go off tackle on 4th and short ONCE the entire game. Rolling out you have to throw, and it was well covered. Also, we operated 4th and 1 out of the shotgun repeatedly, which I think is very dangerous because you start the play off going 3 yards backwards, so now you need 4 yards to convert. I would have rather seen Boone under center to make them respect the sneak.

5) Didn't see the PI call everyone is talking about, but did see a pretty blatant hold on their rushing TD. But the officials didn't really call any fouls the entire game on either team. We got nabbed for defensive holding once, and I think that was the only holding call the entire game. Zero PI's called on either team IIRC. Lots of jersey pulling, but no flags. Everything else was either unsportsmanlike or procedural. They were definitely of the mind to "let them play."

6) Second half we seemed to have a lot of wasted downs. We kept getting into third and long because we were not nearly as effective on 1st and 2nd downs. Call it conservative play calling or missed fouls or whatever, the point was we kept digging ourselves into a hole and needing a big play to get out of it. Granted, we did go for and convert 2 4th and shorts in the first half as well, but second half we were repeatedly in 3rd and long.

6) I didn't like us taking a shot to Crowder with about 2 minutes to go down the sideline (not the big play he hit and ruled down; this one was incomplete). Had we hit it, we give A&M the ball back with about 90 seconds left and 3 timeouts, down 3. Our only chance to win was to score with less than 30 seconds left, and it looked like we were panicking a bit.

7) Ending was similar to the Belk Bowl, in that we had the ball in a close game with under 3 minutes to go in position to score or run the clock out, and two late turnovers turned a probable win into a loss. For a long time Duke football fan, it was an all to familiar way to lose a game.

We overachieved this season and played a great game where we had a chance to win at the end, but couldn't finish. You can count it as a moral victory if you like, but Duke Football invented the term "moral victory" and has those in spades. It was an entertaining game and we proved that we belonged in the game, but we did everything except win, which is why it hurts. I went to the Belk Bowl last year, so this is twice that the team has squandered a victory away in a winnable game due to late turnovers. Disappointed doesn't begin to describe how I feel.

Benchwarmer
01-02-2014, 11:20 AM
I can't disagree with the analysis above. The only thing I would add is that with 5+ minutes left and with a 10 point lead, Knowles decided to blitz and risk a big play. Blitzing had not been successful all night. When I saw our D lining up to bring the house, I started screaming "NOOOO" at the TV. A few seconds later, our secondary is burned for a long TD. I did not understand why our defense did not give them the underneath stuff and make them kill time to score and maybe in the process our secondary could jump a route or force a fumble. The way our offense was playing, we could have run out the clock or given A&M very little time to work with if A&M had scored. To me, that was the play of the game.

Reilly
01-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Benchwarmer, I agree with you the blitz then and there invited disaster. That said, A&M had four second half offensive drives, all of long-ish yardage (65-ish+ yards) and all took only about 2 minutes or less. Their long-hitter was one of their four, and that drive was only a minute b/c we blitzed. In other words, the way things were going, if we don't blitz there, they were going to score anyway, and it would've only taken 1 more minute to do so.

goduke1962
01-02-2014, 12:11 PM
One way to look at the end of the half decision:
Chance of Ross making the 18 yd FG (nearly 100%) x 3 points = 3 point expected value
Chance of pushing it in from the 1 (70%(?)) x 6 = 4.2 point expected value

Basically, if you think there's more than a 50% chance of punching it in, go for it ....

From my seat in the lower level 27 rows up, shaded toward that goal line, watching Shaq's run through pretty powerful binoculars, I thought he clearly got the ball across the goal line .... I guess the ref on the goal line (and the TV cameras) did not have the same view I did ...

The end of the 1st half was botched by the refs, replay officials, and Duke's coaches. I was in section 323 and clearly saw the A&M goaline sidejudge briefy put both arms up signally touchdown, he then just as quickly brought them down. He should have stopped the clock right there if he was that undecided. That alone should initiate a review. If you compare the overrule on Duke's completion late in the game to the play at the end of the 1st half then there is no excuse for not reviewing the play where Shaq ran the ball, at least that would have left 8-9 seconds on the clock leaving time for another play. Duke's coaches can't just stand there and not call a time out, they can see time running off the clock like the rest of us.

Anyway great game, great season and a great job by Coach Cut and his staff. We look forward to next year.

devildeac
01-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Here's a link to the story about the AP photographer we saw collapse and receive extensive CPR on the field right after the game concluded. Sad.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140101/dave-martin-chick-fil-a-bowl.ap/

Billy Dat
01-02-2014, 01:25 PM
-Watching Duke play a bowl game as, literally, the run up to the stroke of midnight on NYE, was a surreal and satisfying experience.
-The drive that led to their winning pick 6 had the feeling of more Duke Football 4th Quarter magic. I was not thinking interception at all, it wasn't even on my radar, and I was pretty shocked as it unfolded. I punched a piece of furniture for the first time as a Duke football fan.
-Trying to go to sleep in the wee hours of January 1st, upset about a Duke football loss...pretty incredible.

NYE, Punching Furniture, Sleepless Agonizing - a new era of Duke Football continues to evolve - more please!

Lar77
01-02-2014, 01:31 PM
Someone earlier put it right: at the beginning of the year, if someone said Duke would play in the ACC Championship Game and the Chik-Fil-A Bowl (when did it stop being called the Peach Bowl?), only the most optimistic would have agreed. Some said we played a weak schedule, but we beat VT and UNC on their turf and Miami - all in pressure games. The first half we played close to flawlessly; A&M came out a different team (the team that came back on Alabama) and we still were moving for a possible win with 3 minutes left. Frustrating end, but what a great game.

A friend from BigTen country asked how Duke got its players and I told him about the first time I heard Cut speak when he was doing his first tour. He is a great coach and leader. Duke football is on the map again, and it looks like it will be here to stay.

Thank you to the seniors and to all the players and coaches.

flyingdutchdevil
01-02-2014, 01:33 PM
-Watching Duke play a bowl game as, literally, the run up to the stroke of midnight on NYE, was a surreal and satisfying experience.
-The drive that led to their winning pick 6 had the feeling of more Duke Football 4th Quarter magic. I was not thinking interception at all, it wasn't even on my radar, and I was pretty shocked as it unfolded. I punched a piece of furniture for the first time as a Duke football fan.
-Trying to go to sleep in the wee hours of January 1st, upset about a Duke football loss...pretty incredible.

NYE, Punching Furniture, Sleepless Agonizing - a new era of Duke Football continues to evolve - more please!

I feel like that's my NYE every year, Duke football or not ;)

Could not agree with you more. I have never cared for college football until this year. Call me a bandwagon fan, but it's God's honesty truth. Winning creates fans.

Billy Dat
01-02-2014, 02:00 PM
I feel like that's my NYE every year, Duke football or not ;)

Could not agree with you more. I have never cared for college football until this year. Call me a bandwagon fan, but it's God's honesty truth. Winning creates fans.

Me too, bandwagon and proud, and a huge part of it is that they are good enough that the games are on up North where I can see them. Between football, basketball, lacrosse and Team USA, the sun never sets on Duke-related sports - of course, I checked in with DBR 20x per day when it was just basketball I was interested in, so the more things change the more they stay the same.

uh_no
01-02-2014, 02:32 PM
—the game's overnight television rating of 5.3 marks the highest rating for a non-BCS bowl game on ESPN since at least 2000.

How cool is that? everybody saw what duke could do last night. shame we couldn't pull it out...but nobody will be sleeping on duke anymore....that's for sure....

Mal
01-02-2014, 03:40 PM
That was something else, man. What a game. I mean, Duke football just participated in what was probably the second best game of the college football season. Say what?!?!

- I completely agree with oldnavy above. I'd never watched a whole game featuring Johnny Football, but my lord, can he play the game. No one's just that lucky - he's in the right place at the right time and two moves ahead all the time. He makes huge throws when he has to, and he's like a greased pig when he takes off out of the pocket. I, too, came away with the feeling that had we put up a 38-17 halftime score against any other team, or any other QB, ever, that game was over.

- All that said, he is a punk-#$!@ little &%^*, and I got a ton of satisfaction in wiping the smirk off his face for the entire first half. I can tell you that Duke Football gained an awful lot of fans on NYE, and not only for playing a great game and showing how legit they were. I was (unfortunately) watching with a whole bunch of Domers, and every one of them was talking about how freaking clutch Boone was and why can't they get a guy like that, and loving on our team generally, but even more than that, they were having a blast watching Duke put that kid in his place. I know we didn't win, and the stakes weren't nearly so high, but it was somewhat reminiscent of the way Duke hoops instantly became everyone's favorite team, before all the overexposure and the backlash, by stopping the UNLV machine that everyone respected but nobody liked. I feel like there are a lot of people out there who feel forced by social pressure to hate Duke basketball just because that's the thing to do, but they still respect it, and the institution, and now they have an acceptable outlet for their secret Duke crush - the football team.

- I wanted to go for the TD at the end of the half, to finish them off and let them wallow in demoralization for 15 minutes. Especially given that we got the ball to start the second half. Easy to hindsight it, but I wonder if the comeback would have even gotten underway if it was 41-17. The clock management was infuriating, as was the reffing on that last play from scrimmage. No reason we didn't get one more run at it, and have the chance to get Connette in there.

- I think we're all excused from any charges of being "fair weather" or "bandwagon" when it comes to this team and program. The early adapters and Cutcliffe believers, and the few true diehards who've always cared, can always lord that over the rest of us, and justifiably so. But when a program's been that much of a joke for so long, it's not like there's even been a bandwagon to jump off of, or any fair weather to sun yourself in periodically only to disappear when the clouds come along. We didn't even have a legitimate D-1 football team for most of the past 6 decades.

- We did get some crummy calls coming down the stretch on those last two drives. But it didn't stop us, and Boone kept making clutch throws, other than the one pick 6 and the game ender. I still had a lot of confidence on that last possession that we were going to get to the red zone, at least, and have a chance. The no-call on the hold on that one A&M rushing TD was very frustrating, however. Not that we were going to hold them, at that point, however.

- I hated the bring the house call on their second TD, too. I thought containing the edges would force them to run it, and pretty likely we'd get the stop. A stop there and, again, the game's possibly out of reach at halftime. Credit where it's due, though - their o-line was masterful in picking up the blitzkreig.

- We are legit. That was a good football team. It was incredibly satisfying to open eyes like that, against one of the top teams in the country the past couple years, from the almighty SEC (not to mention Texas), with the best QB in a generation on their team. We more than held our own. Terribly disappointing not to finish it off, but Duke Football arrived on 12/31/13, as far as I'm concerned.

- Transitive property disclaimers and all that, but I think FSU is going to crush Auburn after seeing this game. We should have beaten this A&M team, and both 'Bama and Auburn barely beat them and were clearly very evenly matched between the two of them. FSU, on the other hand, destroyed us. It's a shame we didn't win, because the SEC would (if FSU goes on to win it all) have taken a much needed hit in reputation if a TAMU team that started the season in the Top 10 lost to Duke, LSU was challenged by an unranked Iowa, Georgia lost to an unranked Nebraska, and then FSU housed Auburn.

OldPhiKap
01-02-2014, 05:37 PM
I was (unfortunately) watching with a whole bunch of Domers, and every one of them was talking about how freaking clutch Boone was and why can't they get a guy like that, and loving on our team generally, but even more than that, they were having a blast watching Duke put that kid in his place. I know we didn't win, and the stakes weren't nearly so high, but it was somewhat reminiscent of the way Duke hoops instantly became everyone's favorite team, before all the overexposure and the backlash, by stopping the UNLV machine that everyone respected but nobody liked. I feel like there are a lot of people out there who feel forced by social pressure to hate Duke basketball just because that's the thing to do, but they still respect it, and the institution, and now they have an acceptable outlet for their secret Duke crush - the football team.

I cannot tell you how many of my friends -- many of them die hard SEC guys and gals, several from rival ACC schools -- told me before and after the game how hard they were pulling for Duke. My phone was literally* blowing up during the game with phone calls and texts (like you could have heard someone on the other end of the phone, man that place was rocking). I think we got a lot of positive attention, which can only help.

*hoping this does not set Mr. Sumner back in any way. Laughter is the best medicine.**

**Unless of course, you need like real medicine. Then it's kind of a placebo, at best.***

***Sorry for footnoting a footnote, Strunk and White would not be happy.

DukeDevil
01-02-2014, 05:58 PM
I cannot tell you how many of my friends -- many of them die hard SEC guys and gals, several from rival ACC schools -- told me before and after the game how hard they were pulling for Duke.

A buddy of mine, big UGA fan, said this is the first time he has ever cheered against an SEC team when they were playing a non SEC team. I'd rather have had a win, and I think this team is beyond accepting moral victories, but as losses go, this was both so painful and yet so positive at the same time. Other than maybe Gonzaga in 2010, no team so readily comes to mind as having looked so impressive in a loss. I fully admit to being a bandwagon fan, but you can't build new support for a program with just loyal diehards from the dark days (well, you could...but it would take a whole lot of "go forth and multiply"-ing). All that being said, never...EVER have I thought in the midst of basketball season "man I can't wait for football season to start back up."

I could pick apart plays I wish they changed, key points of the game, etc...but I think it's all been said here.

One thing I want to add for those who were AT the game and didn't get to watch it (or can't bear to watch their DVRed recordings yet): at one point, one of the sideline reporters apparently told the commentators that the A+M yell leader (which is some sort of special cheerleader I guess?) said he couldn't believe they were being outcheered by the Duke fans. From my comfy couch watching the game: I salute you all for bringing the loud!

I'm excited, and I'm excited people are excited! Go Duke! (Football!)

OldPhiKap
01-02-2014, 06:25 PM
I agree with a comment above: anyone on the train now is not a bandwagon fan. We're just getting startid. Plenty of room.

(Hell, the administration did not even support football in the modern era really until Cut came. So I certainly understand why there was little enthusiasm generally -- if the school doesn't care, it shows).

Best thing you can do: make a convert, grow the pie, make a game next year. I highly recommend the bowl experience as well, especially if we are able to get back to something as well-run and prestigious as the Peach-fil-A Bowl.

FerryFor50
01-02-2014, 06:33 PM
I always pulled for Duke football, but they were lousy, so I had "backup teams" to at least allow me to bandwagon.

Generally it was Notre Dame, Miami, NCSU...

sagegrouse
01-02-2014, 06:42 PM
One thing I want to add for those who were AT the game and didn't get to watch it (or can't bear to watch their DVRed recordings yet): at one point, one of the sideline reporters apparently told the commentators that the A+M yell leader (which is some sort of special cheerleader I guess?) said he couldn't believe they were being outcheered by the Duke fans. From my comfy couch watching the game: I salute you all for bringing the loud!

From time immemorial, the A&M Yell Leaders were the cheerleaders. I didn't notice on TV, but back in the day, they were all males.

OZ
01-02-2014, 07:03 PM
I didn't notice on TV, but back in the day, they were all males.

Their "Yell Leaders" still are... five guys dressed in white running up and down the sidelines. In the first half, their cheers fell upon shocked ears!

Two myths that ended in Atlanta...

1. Duke football can't hang with the big boys

2. Duke fans won't follow their team

This certainly should help us with future bowl considerations

Faison1
01-02-2014, 07:06 PM

I was at the game, and it was an amazing wave of up and down emotions. In the stands, it was high fives all around with random people I didn't know; hugs with random dudes in the beer line during big plays I missed (essentially, if you left your seat for a beer or bathroom break, you missed a big play); major celebrations in the bathrooms when Duke recovered the onsides kick (no hugs or high fives, but close to it; all of the bathrooms had flatscreen TV's in them so you didn't miss anything).

Then, unfortunately, it was the shock of the last 6.5 minutes, which became sad acceptance of reality.....just in time for the clock striking midnight out on the cold sidewalk.

It was a wonderful year. I am confident we will have more.

Native
01-02-2014, 07:21 PM
All that being said, never...EVER have I thought in the midst of basketball season "man I can't wait for football season to start back up."

This. I'm so pumped for next season.

Yeah, there's no way in Chapel Hill my comrades and I were going to let those five goofy dudes in the nurse's outfits out-yell us. They can come get it anytime, anywhere.

devildeac
01-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Couple really, really good articles about Duke FB from the Raleigh N&O today. Page 1. Sports section. Both articles. Think about that for a minute or two.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/01/01/3500285/decock-duke-will-try-to-raise.html

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/01/01/3500141/chick-fil-a-bowl-performance-good.html

I wasn't in the dadgum Christmas, err, New Year's spirit much Tuesday night or yesterday. I'm much closer to that now after some additional pondering what we accomplished this season and reading those two articles.

devildeac
01-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Duke football continues to be relevant. Comment at the half from the Sugar Bowl:

"We came to watch the OU-Alabama game and Duke-Texas A&M broke out."

:D:D

Merlindevildog91
01-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Duke football continues to be relevant. Comment at the half from the Sugar Bowl:

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

devildeac
01-02-2014, 10:47 PM

I dunno about that. Have you been reading this thread:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?32506-Latest-Updates-on-UNC-CH-Academic-Scandal-Julius-Nyang-Oro-Charged-with-Felony

:D:rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
01-02-2014, 10:48 PM

PJ Hairston says "hello"

;-)

dukie’s_daughter
01-02-2014, 11:04 PM

Also at halftime, Dave Harding was honored as one of the members of the AFCA Good Works Team! Well done, Dave, and to all our Blue Devils!

Go DUKE!

Merlindevildog91
01-02-2014, 11:18 PM
I dunno about that. Have you been reading this thread:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?32506-Latest-Updates-on-UNC-CH-Academic-Scandal-Julius-Nyang-Oro-Charged-with-Felony

:D:rolleyes:

They don't think of it as bad publicity, just another step toward martyrdom. It is all Pack Pride's fault, anyway, and an academic issue, not an athletic one. I can hear the pitch now: come to our esteemed university, play football, and walk out with a degree.

DukeDevil
01-03-2014, 07:01 AM
On a very minor and unimportant note, did anyone else find it odd that the chik fila cow wore an aggies jersey? I get that it's somewhat appropriate mascot wise...but it still seemed weird for the sponsor to be partisan like that.

OldPhiKap
01-03-2014, 07:27 AM
On a very minor and unimportant note, did anyone else find it odd that the chik fila cow wore an aggies jersey? I get that it's somewhat appropriate mascot wise...but it still seemed weird for the sponsor to be partisan like that.

They had both at the game. CFA was very bi-partisan IMO.

moonpie23
01-03-2014, 08:03 AM
After and unfortunate turn of events in the movie ZOMBIELAND, Bill Murray feels the same way i do about the game…. (http://www.tubechop.com/watch/1803322)

Spoke
01-03-2014, 11:32 AM
So after seeing the game at the Dome, I finally went back and watched some of the ESPN broadcast. I was floored when one of the announcers (Pollack, maybe?) made a comment about this being the most successful season in Duke history (paraphrasing). I am very happy about this team and very proud of them, but come on ESPN. Do some (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Blue_Devils_football#Duke_in_the_Polls) research (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Blue_Devils_football#Bowl_games).

Spoke
01-03-2014, 11:35 AM
By the way, why does A&M have a fight song set to the melody of "The Old Gray Goose Is Dead"? Not exactly a rousing tune.

jjasper0729
01-03-2014, 11:43 AM
So after seeing the game at the Dome, I finally went back and watched some of the ESPN broadcast. I was floored when one of the announcers (Pollack, maybe?) made a comment about this being the most successful season in Duke history (paraphrasing). I am very happy about this team and very proud of them, but come on ESPN. Do some (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Blue_Devils_football#Duke_in_the_Polls) research (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Blue_Devils_football#Bowl_games).

typically they look at total number of wins without taking anything else in context. If you look at our season in that regard, 10 wins is the most successful football season.

arnie
01-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Some, not all, younger announcers/analysts have no historical perspective beyond the last 10-15 years. I consider it laziness on their part- but guess that's the way it is now. With so many games, ESPN announcers are spread thin. In the 2nd half after numerous references to most important game in Duke history- someone was prompted to say Wallace Wade might disagree with this game holding that status.

Reilly
01-03-2014, 01:03 PM
By the way, why does A&M have a fight song set to the melody of "The Old Gray Goose Is Dead"? Not exactly a rousing tune.

At one point, they all put their hands on their knees and bend slightly forward (to help with the yelling, it was explained to me). Looked a bit like a communal, difficult #2.

Was neat how they were into it, and all that I spoke with were wonderfully polite.

sagegrouse
01-03-2014, 01:08 PM
At one point, they all put their hands on their knees and bend slightly forward (to help with the yelling, it was explained to me). Looked a bit like a communal, difficult #2.

Was neat how they were into it, and all that I spoke with were wonderfully polite.

Advice to the wise: don't make fun of Texas Aggie traditions. Them's fighting words.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Advice to the wise: don't make fun of Texas Aggie traditions. Them's fighting words.
Don't forget the sabres that go with the boots. Those are not costumes. They're real. Ask the SMU band years ago who used lots of whistles to break up the Aggie band's halftime drill and marching formations on the sacred field in College Station. Seniors ran out on the field, sabres drawn.

duke blue brewcrew
01-03-2014, 01:17 PM
A buddy of mine, big UGA fan, said this is the first time he has ever cheered against an SEC team when they were playing a non SEC team. I'd rather have had a win, and I think this team is beyond accepting moral victories, but as losses go, this was both so painful and yet so positive at the same time. Other than maybe Gonzaga in 2010, no team so readily comes to mind as having looked so impressive in a loss. I fully admit to being a bandwagon fan, but you can't build new support for a program with just loyal diehards from the dark days (well, you could...but it would take a whole lot of "go forth and multiply"-ing). All that being said, never...EVER have I thought in the midst of basketball season "man I can't wait for football season to start back up."

I could pick apart plays I wish they changed, key points of the game, etc...but I think it's all been said here.

I was so proud of all the Duke blue in the stands! Very strong showing by Blue Devil nation. I was in 214 and enjoyed watching a lot of former players one section over in 213 cheering on their current football brothers. Duke showed all of the pre-game detractors that they belonged. It was tough to see them not win the game, but the program is heading back in the right direction. All of my coworkers are SEC fans, and I can't begin to tell you how many pats on the back I got for the impressive performance that came up just a little short. I was hoarse for two days and have yet to be able to bring myself to watch the recorded game. That said, I'm proud of our guys and am looking forward to next season already...GO DUKE!

Reilly
01-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Don't forget the sabres ....

They've got sabres; we've got lemurs. Bring it on ...

Spoke
01-03-2014, 02:16 PM
All my UGA friends were pulling hard for Duke. Everybody loves a Cinderella, I suppose.

It's nice being the plucky underdog. On the other hand, I look forward to the day when we are the Yankees, and everybody hates us. Dare to dream!

FerryFor50
01-03-2014, 02:18 PM
All my UGA friends were pulling hard for Duke. Everybody loves a Cinderella, I suppose.

It's nice being the plucky underdog. On the other hand, I look forward to the day when we are the Yankees, and everybody hates us. Dare to dream!

I think it was more about hating Manziel than rooting for the underdog. :)

Spoke
01-03-2014, 02:22 PM
I think it was more about hating Manziel than rooting for the underdog. :)
Nah. UGA fans don't have much stake in Manziel-hating, since they've never faced him.

FerryFor50
01-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Nah. UGA fans don't have mu h stake in Manziel-hating, since they've never faced him.

I dunno. He's a pretty easy guy to dislike, regardless of your allegiances.

Jarhead
01-03-2014, 02:42 PM
typically they look at total number of wins without taking anything else in context. If you look at our season in that regard, 10 wins is the most successful football season.

Well, let's not forget that the 1938 Duke team only played 9 games, and won all of them,... and not a single point was scored against them. They went on to play Oregon, I believe, in the Rose Bowl, and sadly they lost 3-0, though. We've got some pretty good credentials if you just don't look at the past coupla' decades or so.

arnie
01-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Well, let's not forget that the 1938 Duke team only played 9 games, and won all of them,... and not a single point was scored against them. They went on to play Oregon, I believe, in the Rose Bowl, and sadly they lost 3-0, though. We've got some pretty good credentials if you just don't look at the past coupla' decades or so.

I think we actually lost 7-3 (touchdown late) and was the opponent in that game USC?

Newton_14
01-03-2014, 02:50 PM
I think we actually lost 7-3 (touchdown late) and was the opponent in that game USC?

Don't recall the opponent but the final score was definitely 3-0

FerryFor50
01-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Let me Google that for you... :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1942_Rose_Bowl

Oregon State - 20
Duke - 16

This was the one moved to Durham due to WW2 concerns.

The 1938 Rose Bowl was not Duke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938_Rose_Bowl

Cal beat Alabama 13-0.

1939 Rose bowl was Duke. (Though I suppose it was technically the 1938 Duke team :))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939_Rose_Bowl

They lost 7-3 to USC.

duke blue brewcrew
01-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Don't recall the opponent but the final score was definitely 3-0

USC was the opponent and the final score was 7-3. Duke led 3-0 until the final minute of the game.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/1999/10/07/iron-dukes-so-close-perfection-1938

DukeDevil
01-03-2014, 03:48 PM
I dunno. He's a pretty easy guy to dislike, regardless of your allegiances.

I have to say though, seeing that one play where someone crushed him at the sideline, and he popped up, turned around, and helped the tackler up...

I think when I see him on the sideline cheering and going nuts and being obnoxious, I want to dislike him...but that one move of sportsmanship made me nod and think that he's a good guy. I also acknowledge that what I see as obnoxious, A+M fans see as emotion and evergy. That and, like him or hate him...he's got game...

"game recognize game grandpa, and you looking reeeeeeeeal unfamiliar right now" (nothing to do with this post, but just a great quote from the boondocks cartoon)

devildeac
01-03-2014, 04:08 PM
I have to say though, seeing that one play where someone crushed him at the sideline, and he popped up, turned around, and helped the tackler up...

I think when I see him on the sideline cheering and going nuts and being obnoxious, I want to dislike him...but that one move of sportsmanship made me nod and think that he's a good guy. I also acknowledge that what I see as obnoxious, A+M fans see as emotion and evergy. That and, like him or hate him...he's got game...

"game recognize game grandpa, and you looking reeeeeeeeal unfamiliar right now" (nothing to do with this post, but just a great quote from the boondocks cartoon)

He was highly complimentary of AB and our team after the game, so it's tough for me to have much/any dislike for the guy. What an escape artist! There were several times when I thought we had a sack/tackle for loss and he avoided them. His jumping/running into a lineman and then backing up and circling out of trouble (with Kelby having a hold of his ankle/s I found out later!) was amazing. I just wish he had fumbled once in the second half or thrown a floater straight into the waiting arms of Cockrell or Edwards for a pick 6 so we could have thwarted one of their second half drives.

Duvall
01-03-2014, 04:14 PM
He was highly complimentary of AB and our team after the game, so it's tough for me to have much/any dislike for the guy. What an escape artist! There were several times when I thought we had a sack/tackle for loss and he avoided them. His jumping/running into a lineman and then backing up and circling out of trouble (with Kelby having a hold of his ankle/s I found out later!) was amazing. I just wish he had fumbled once in the second half or thrown a floater straight into the waiting arms of Cockrell or Edwards for a pick 6 so we could have thwarted one of their second half drives.

It was much easier to like Manziel after the bowl game. If you're going to lose, it might as well be due to an amazing performance.

Jarhead
01-03-2014, 04:35 PM
USC was the opponent and the final score was 7-3. Duke led 3-0 until the final minute of the game.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/1999/10/07/iron-dukes-so-close-perfection-1938

Yeah, okay. That's right. I'm glad we got that straightened out. I missed the game, because I was at a cub scout meeting, if memory serves me. However you crank it out we have been to every one of the FBS rotation bowls except perhaps the Fiesta Bowl. Maybe now we can look at going to one of those bowls on a regular basis. So we are a football school, and a basketball school, men and women teams, and Lacrosse... I can go on and on. And I know the words to the Duke Fight Song and the Blue and White. In fact, I sung both of them the other night in the Georgia Dome, so did my sons who were there with me, and several other Duke folks in section 113.

Ggallagher
01-03-2014, 04:45 PM

The good folks at A&M are REALLY serious about their traditions. I learned that years ago when I was working in Houston and one of the co-ops in our office was an A&M graduate. A month or so before he got married, we were all sitting at lunch one day giving him a hard time about the upcoming change in his life. Mature twenty-year olds that we were, a few of the guys were making some pretty inappropriate comments regarding his fiance.
Chuck, the A&M grad, took it quite gracefully - lots better than I expect I would have.
And then one of the guys at the table asked if Chuck would be giving his A&M class ring to his wife - and compared it to a pop top off of a beer can.
BAD IDEA.
Chuck did not take well to having his Aggie class ring spoken of in that manner.
We got a way with a lot when we joked about his future wife - but we clearly crossed the line when we belittled his class ring.
They're good folks - and they're real serious about their traditions.

TruBlu
01-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Yeah, okay. That's right. I'm glad we got that straightened out. I missed the game, because I was at a cub scout meeting, if memory serves me..

Now I know who you are. I was your cub scout leader.

FerryFor50
01-03-2014, 05:13 PM

I dunno. One game doesn't wash out two seasons of the tweets, the arrogance, the autographs, the "money sign" against an overmatched Rice (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-08-31/johnny-manziel-celebrates-with-cash-and-autographs-gif), the pictures of money (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/johnny-manziel-last-laugh-recently-posted-photo-201827330--ncaaf.html), the sideline antics, etc.

Think what you want about the NCAA's rules against getting paid to play, but he was just classless.

I seriously have reservations about how complimentary he would have been had A&M managed to lose that game.

He's a great player, probably one of the best college QBs ever, but as a person, he has some growing up to do.

OldPhiKap
01-03-2014, 05:23 PM
The A&M fans were very gracious before, during, and after the game.

Johnny Football is one of the most exciting players in college football, and he showed Tuesday night why that is so. He has some maturing to do, but hell so do I and I'm a bit older than he is.

Big respect for the Aggies, and I think we've earned the same in return.

DukieInKansas
01-03-2014, 06:07 PM
The good folks at A&M are REALLY serious about their traditions. I learned that years ago when I was working in Houston and one of the co-ops in our office was an A&M graduate. A month or so before he got married, we were all sitting at lunch one day giving him a hard time about the upcoming change in his life. Mature twenty-year olds that we were, a few of the guys were making some pretty inappropriate comments regarding his fiance.
Chuck, the A&M grad, took it quite gracefully - lots better than I expect I would have.
And then one of the guys at the table asked if Chuck would be giving his A&M class ring to his wife - and compared it to a pop top off of a beer can.
BAD IDEA.
Chuck did not take well to having his Aggie class ring spoken of in that manner.
We got a way with a lot when we joked about his future wife - but we clearly crossed the line when we belittled his class ring.
They're good folks - and they're real serious about their traditions.

A good portion of my high school went to A&M but as I learned a few of their traditions, back in the day, I determined that I wouldn't have lasted long. The marching band was made up of Corps members so there were only males. You didn't go to a football game without a date - but I believe that only apply to us lowly females. I wasn't a diehard feminist, but it was too much for me. I think I managed to not laugh out loud when my friend was telling me these things.

Was the band still all male?

uh_no
01-03-2014, 06:27 PM
A good portion of my high school went to A&M but as I learned a few of their traditions, back in the day, I determined that I wouldn't have lasted long. The marching band was made up of Corps members so there were only males. You didn't go to a football game without a date - but I believe that only apply to us lowly females. I wasn't a diehard feminist, but it was too much for me. I think I managed to not laugh out loud when my friend was telling me these things.

doubt they could still get away with that.

devildeac
01-03-2014, 06:48 PM
I dunno. One game doesn't wash out two seasons of the tweets, the arrogance, the autographs, the "money sign" against an overmatched Rice (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-08-31/johnny-manziel-celebrates-with-cash-and-autographs-gif), the pictures of money (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/johnny-manziel-last-laugh-recently-posted-photo-201827330--ncaaf.html), the sideline antics, etc.

Think what you want about the NCAA's rules against getting paid to play, but he was just classless.

I seriously have reservations about how complimentary he would have been had A&M managed to lose that game.

He's a great player, probably one of the best college QBs ever, but as a person, he has some growing up to do.

Fair points. Of course, nowhere in my post did I say I liked him either;).

DU82
01-03-2014, 07:15 PM

No, it was co-ed. We definitely looked to see.

My brother went to TCU, and got me an Aggie Joke Book. Wish I still had it. Can't repeat too many of them here, though.

Newton_14
01-03-2014, 10:34 PM

Thanks. I had always heard that the Duke team went unbeaten, untied, and unscored upon in the Regular Season, then lost 3-0 in the Bowl Game which cost them the National Title. I knew it wasn't the season where the Rose Bowl game was played at Wallace Wade, but always thought the final score was 3-0. Thanks for the link. I stand corrected.

sagegrouse
01-04-2014, 12:20 AM
No, it was co-ed. We definitely looked to see.

My brother went to TCU, and got me an Aggie Joke Book. Wish I still had it. Can't repeat too many of them here, though.

The Aggies got a new mascot -- a zebra. They named it "Spot."

richardjackson199
01-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Went to the game as well. Some of my thoughts:

1) We played about as perfect a half on offense as we could have. Other than getting a FG rather than a TD on the last drive, we scored a TD every time we touched the ball. We even made two huge plays on special teams. All we had to do was continue to score on at least half of our second half possessions.

2) Our defense could not stop Manziel. Other than the one punt and missed FG by A&M, he scored a TD or FG every time they got the ball. So we only had two defensive stops all game. Counting our missed FG, 4th down miss, and two INT's, A&M got 4 stops. That was the difference in the game.

3) Burning two timeouts in the second half trying to get the play called was killer. Especially when you consider that we run a no-huddle offense. Losing 2 of our 3 timeouts trying to get a play in was inexcusable.

4) Don't understand the rollout on 4th and 1, or why Connette didn't go off tackle on 4th and short ONCE the entire game. Rolling out you have to throw, and it was well covered. Also, we operated 4th and 1 out of the shotgun repeatedly, which I think is very dangerous because you start the play off going 3 yards backwards, so now you need 4 yards to convert. I would have rather seen Boone under center to make them respect the sneak.

5) Didn't see the PI call everyone is talking about, but did see a pretty blatant hold on their rushing TD. But the officials didn't really call any fouls the entire game on either team. We got nabbed for defensive holding once, and I think that was the only holding call the entire game. Zero PI's called on either team IIRC. Lots of jersey pulling, but no flags. Everything else was either unsportsmanlike or procedural. They were definitely of the mind to "let them play."

6) Second half we seemed to have a lot of wasted downs. We kept getting into third and long because we were not nearly as effective on 1st and 2nd downs. Call it conservative play calling or missed fouls or whatever, the point was we kept digging ourselves into a hole and needing a big play to get out of it. Granted, we did go for and convert 2 4th and shorts in the first half as well, but second half we were repeatedly in 3rd and long.

6) I didn't like us taking a shot to Crowder with about 2 minutes to go down the sideline (not the big play he hit and ruled down; this one was incomplete). Had we hit it, we give A&M the ball back with about 90 seconds left and 3 timeouts, down 3. Our only chance to win was to score with less than 30 seconds left, and it looked like we were panicking a bit.

7) Ending was similar to the Belk Bowl, in that we had the ball in a close game with under 3 minutes to go in position to score or run the clock out, and two late turnovers turned a probable win into a loss. For a long time Duke football fan, it was an all to familiar way to lose a game.

We overachieved this season and played a great game where we had a chance to win at the end, but couldn't finish. You can count it as a moral victory if you like, but Duke Football invented the term "moral victory" and has those in spades. It was an entertaining game and we proved that we belonged in the game, but we did everything except win, which is why it hurts. I went to the Belk Bowl last year, so this is twice that the team has squandered a victory away in a winnable game due to late turnovers. Disappointed doesn't begin to describe how I feel.

Excellent post - I agree 100%. I was at the game, but I have been too devastated all week to post. Our Section 210 Mezzanine was rocking, and that was the most fun I've ever had at a football game until the end.

We did so many amazing things well. If I had to single out one thing, we win that game if we go for that touchdown before halftime. We had all the momentum and A & M was still reeling. We rushed for 234 yards in that game, and at that time, we needed one yard and we wanted it more. We would have punched it in for a 1 yard touchdown. With 9 or so seconds left, we should have called timeout or challenged the previous play or whatever and punched it in! In my mind, with a 42-17 lead at halftime with us getting ball back to start 3rd and the game is basically over right there. I think that psychological barrier would have been too much for A & M to overcome. That 25 point lead at halftime would mean they would need basically 4 touchdowns to catch us (3 touchdowns + field goal and we still win). 21 point halftime lead, with them needing 3 touchdowns was do-able, and they knew they could beat us as soon as they got that first stop / touchdown and seized 2nd half momentum. Also, with 21 point halftime lead, even if they tie with net 3 touchdown comeback in 2nd half, we would be in serious trouble against Manziel in OT.

Bottom line, how do we play by far our best game in my lifetime, generate 661 yards of offense, convert 9 out of 15 3rd downs, convert 3 out of 4 fourth downs, recover a blocked punt, recover an onside kick, score a touchdown on every 1st half drive (except one missed field goal and another made field goal on the 2nd and goal before the half when we should have gone for touchdown), and then find a way to lose? We'd had a miracle season: picked to finish last in our division, we win the division with 10 improbable wins (almost all of them close wins we could have lost). We find ourselves with opportunity of lifetime in the Peach Bowl with the whole nation watching us beat SEC powerhouse with all-world quarterback Johnny Football losing it on the sideline. It should have been an enormous signature win for Duke football.

I'm usually a pretty positive guy. But I'm devastated because we should have won. There is nothing to do now except Go Duke Basketball and hope that it all happens again one day with a better outcome.

richardjackson199
01-04-2014, 12:58 PM
That said, Duke football has been much lower than it is right now. We had this miracle season because our players and coaches believed and made it happen. They went out and won all those games this year, and they can do it again. The road to winning next year's Peach bowl, ACC Championship, or National championship starts in January 2014. Our players showed that if they believe, work, and want it bad enough, they can make it happen. They've gone from losing 10+ games a year to winning 10 a year. Now I'm ready to enjoy watching them work to take the next step. Now they know they can do it, and I have no doubt they will.
(Is that better for some Oz-like optimism?)

bleudiable
01-04-2014, 01:54 PM
That said, Duke football has been much lower than it is right now. We had this miracle season because our players and coaches believed and made it happen. They went out and won all those games this year, and they can do it again. The road to winning next year's Peach bowl, ACC Championship, or National championship starts in January 2014. Our players showed that if they believe, work, and want it bad enough, they can make it happen. They've gone from losing 10+ games a year to winning 10 a year. Now I'm ready to enjoy watching them work to take the next step. Now they know they can do it, and I have no doubt they will.
(Is that better for some Oz-like optimism?)

Thanks for that summation. I think I can now move on to basketball season and look with one eye to football recruiting and spring practice. Yes, this team...no, this program knows it can get big things done, and we can't let the disappointments of the last two games put any kind of damper on that. This program is for real and can compete for our conference championship on a regular basis (which automatically puts them in some kind of postseason discussion)...something I never thought I would see in my lifetime.

Thank you, Coach Cut and thank you, all Duke football players for making this dream a reality.

DukeDevil
01-05-2014, 05:15 PM
I finally rewatched the first half, thinking it would be a ton of fun given how well it went...wow...what a mistake. Watching that amazing first half and knowing the outcome was just awful. Dammit.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-05-2014, 06:25 PM
I'm still adjusting to no more football after an incredible run in 2013! The ending of the bowl game was a big disappointment, but I continue to feel as if I have been part of something that was so wonderful, so fine, so magical that I can't feel sad except that it had to end. Our guys showed such character, poise and strength in all the activities and interviews during bowl week. How they handled the season's end is such an inspirational contrast to so many of the other teams, bowl participants or not.

The first meeting of the new season is Tuesday. A new OC will soon be on staff. National Signing Day will add new names to the 2014 roster. Spring practice will begin in a matter of weeks. Can't wait for the magic of a new season!

graybead
01-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Excellent post - I agree 100%. I was at the game, but I have been too devastated all week to post. Our Section 210 Mezzanine was rocking, and that was the most fun I've ever had at a football game until the end.

We did so many amazing things well. If I had to single out one thing, we win that game if we go for that touchdown before halftime. We had all the momentum and A & M was still reeling. We rushed for 234 yards in that game, and at that time, we needed one yard and we wanted it more. We would have punched it in for a 1 yard touchdown. With 9 or so seconds left, we should have called timeout or challenged the previous play or whatever and punched it in! In my mind, with a 42-17 lead at halftime with us getting ball back to start 3rd and the game is basically over right there. I think that psychological barrier would have been too much for A & M to overcome. That 25 point lead at halftime would mean they would need basically 4 touchdowns to catch us (3 touchdowns + field goal and we still win). 21 point halftime lead, with them needing 3 touchdowns was do-able, and they knew they could beat us as soon as they got that first stop / touchdown and seized 2nd half momentum. Also, with 21 point halftime lead, even if they tie with net 3 touchdown comeback in 2nd half, we would be in serious trouble against Manziel in OT.

Bottom line, how do we play by far our best game in my lifetime, generate 661 yards of offense, convert 9 out of 15 3rd downs, convert 3 out of 4 fourth downs, recover a blocked punt, recover an onside kick, score a touchdown on every 1st half drive (except one missed field goal and another made field goal on the 2nd and goal before the half when we should have gone for touchdown), and then find a way to lose? We'd had a miracle season: picked to finish last in our division, we win the division with 10 improbable wins (almost all of them close wins we could have lost). We find ourselves with opportunity of lifetime in the Peach Bowl with the whole nation watching us beat SEC powerhouse with all-world quarterback Johnny Football losing it on the sideline. It should have been an enormous signature win for Duke football.

I'm usually a pretty positive guy. But I'm devastated because we should have won. There is nothing to do now except Go Duke Basketball and hope that it all happens again one day with a better outcome.

This sums up the way I feel. I haven't been able to post until now either. Only read posts a couple of times. I still can't bring myself to watch the DVR'd game. We also went to the Belk Bowl last year as well as the Chick-Fil-A this year. I've already decided that I just can't do it next year. I'm still going to be a fan, and pull hard for them. I agree that Duke Football is going in the right direction. I'm also normally a positive person, but with sports I tend to be more negative. For my own psyche, I went to this game to support what Duke did this year, but expecting Duke to lose, with the hope that they would be in the game. Not that I wasn't hoping for a win, but to keep myself calm and try to have fun. I'm in my mid-40's and I have got to stop getting so amped up in these games. By halftime, i was screaming so hard, I had a splitting headache and I know my blood pressure was elevated. The high's and low's of that second half were excruciating. I had already decided to stay until the end and cheer on Duke for the great season - win or lose. However, when we literally threw the ball a way at the end - the second time, I got up and left.

It's not the loss to TX A&M, it's the way we lost. If Boone had taken the sack and we tried to more times and failed to score, I would have been fine. But, to go from Crowder almost scoring a touchdown, to handing them the ball, was too much for me.

The only positive I can gain is the fact that we have a lot of great players back next year and should have another good season. I have just got to step back and make sports less of a priority. I really feel bad for Boone. I can't imagine how he feels, but I know how I would feel.

bleudiable
01-07-2014, 08:08 AM
Not that I wasn't hoping for a win, but to keep myself calm and try to have fun. I'm in my mid-40's and I have got to stop getting so amped up in these games. By halftime, i was screaming so hard, I had a splitting headache and I know my blood pressure was elevated. The high's and low's of that second half were excruciating....I have just got to step back and make sports less of a priority.

But the schools that we want to compete with go through this year after year. We Duke fans have the same investment in our hoops program, but in most of our lifetimes we have not had the opportunity to be that invested in football. We have simply thought of football as a diversion until hoops cranks up and wouldn't it be nice to have a winning record and go to a bowl every few years. Cutcliffe had a vision that we could be more than that, and now that this has become a reality, the Duke football fan base has to adjust. Some of us have joked, "We are a football school now," but what you are describing is something that fans of football schools live with. I like it!

sagegrouse
01-07-2014, 08:43 AM
But the schools that we want to compete with go through this year after year. We Duke fans have the same investment in our hoops program, but in most of our lifetimes we have not had the opportunity to be that invested in football. We have simply thought of football as a diversion until hoops cranks up and wouldn't it be nice to have a winning record and go to a bowl every few years. Cutcliffe had a vision that we could be more than that, and now that this has become a reality, the Duke football fan base has to adjust. Some of us have joked, "We are a football school now," but what you are describing is something that fans of football schools live with. I like it!

"One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day" Duke isn't yet established as a good football program, although this year and last show promise. Next year will be the "bingo" year, especially if we can win the darned bowl game!

roywhite
01-08-2014, 03:03 PM
Johnny Manziel to enter NFL draft (http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10262570/johnny-manziel-declares-2014-nfl-draft)

No surprise.

I guess we saw him in his final "amateur" game. Gotta say -- he was terrific and I think he'll be a success in the pros.

uh_no
01-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Johnny Manziel to enter NFL draft (http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10262570/johnny-manziel-declares-2014-nfl-draft)

No surprise.

I guess we saw him in his final "amateur" game. Gotta say -- he was terrific and I think he'll be a success in the pros.

eh...i'm not so sure....his arm is not exceptional, and the NFL tends to chew up and spit back out mobile QBs who aren't as good at getting it done with their arm when they need to

the NFL is much faster, and it will be interesting to see how he reacts when a lot of the running around he does becomes ineffective...if he can sit in the pocket and pick the defense apart....then yeah, he'll be great...but i'm not sure he'll be able to.

time will tell.

toooskies
01-08-2014, 04:44 PM
eh...i'm not so sure....his arm is not exceptional, and the NFL tends to chew up and spit back out mobile QBs who aren't as good at getting it done with their arm when they need to

the NFL is much faster, and it will be interesting to see how he reacts when a lot of the running around he does becomes ineffective...if he can sit in the pocket and pick the defense apart....then yeah, he'll be great...but i'm not sure he'll be able to.

time will tell.

Having watched only the bowl game, I think Manziel's arm strength is underrated because he's throwing on the run so much. Despite that, he seems accurate with his throws. It's fair to ask whether his scrambling will translate to the next level, but he's definitely as good a scrambler as college has ever seen. I think he'll do fine in the NFL unless the Browns draft him.

I currently have him going #4 to the Browns. They'll try to turn him into a pocket passer.

jv001
01-08-2014, 05:04 PM

time will tell.

When he get's hit a few times running the ball, I bet he'll be hollering for mama, lol. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
01-08-2014, 05:43 PM
Having watched only the bowl game, I think Manziel's arm strength is underrated because he's throwing on the run so much. Despite that, he seems accurate with his throws.

I was going to say the exact same thing. Going to the game, we had a discussion about whether you force him to beat you with his feet, or with his arm. Fact is, he's got both.

He threw some great touch passes downfield, and had a sideline out for about 20 yards that was an absolute bullet.

I came away extremely impressed with his passing ability.

As far as the NFL, this year he scrambled less and passed more. Still had great results. He will need to continue that arc for the reasons mentioned above; scrambling QB's end up scrambled relatively quickly.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-08-2014, 07:15 PM
In this discussion of Johnny Manziel's announcement of going pro, the discussion seems to be revolving around his skills on the field. After all the measuring is done at the combine, the interviews will be the "elephant in the room" in terms of who will take him in the draft. NFL owners are employers who value the images associated with the teams and players. Can he behave in a way that fits what an owner wants to invest millions of dollars to buy? We'll know in a few months. Meanwhile, keep an eye on what unfolds during this audition for the big time.

SoCalDukeFan
01-08-2014, 07:37 PM
In this discussion of Johnny Manziel's announcement of going pro, the discussion seems to be revolving around his skills on the field. After all the measuring is done at the combine, the interviews will be the "elephant in the room" in terms of who will take him in the draft. NFL owners are employers who value the images associated with the teams and players. Can he behave in a way that fits what an owner wants to invest millions of dollars to buy? We'll know in a few months. Meanwhile, keep an eye on what unfolds during this audition for the big time.

First of all NFL owners, at least most of them, want first of all to win. The Eagles hired Michael Vick after he got out of jail for having fighting dogs. Some owners might prefer selling tickets or merchandise over winning. The Chick Fil A was the most watched non BCS bowl in the BCS era, and a factor was certainly the presence of Manziel.

What has Manziel done off the field to scare away an owner. Sign a few autographs? Show off? Have a lot of girl friends? I saw a guy who seemed to rip into his teammate when he got a bonehead penalty. I saw a guy who wants to win. While I guess I am giving away my age how is his off the field any different than Joe Namath or Paul Hornung or Brett Favre?

Manziel is very fast on his feet and has a strong accurate arm. He won't be able to do everything in the pros that he did he college, but he certainly has skills that should translate. I am certainly no expert in rating QBs but my guess is that he will go very high in the draft.

SoCal

CDu
01-08-2014, 07:39 PM

I don't see any reason to think he's any less ready to handle the NFL than the average kid going pro early. I'm sure he'll work with his agents and marketing team and they'll prepare him well for the process.

I do suspect that the combine is not the best place for him, but I think it's the physical measurements and such that are the real problem. He's small, and he doesn't have a laser rocket arm. So he's not the type of kid that is likely to wow at the combine in terms of the skills tests and measurables. His value shows up on the field, where he makes the ridiculous seem routine. So a team is going to have to decide to overlook the fact that others will outshine him in gym shorts and hope that his performances with the pads on will translate to the next level.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2014, 07:49 PM

I would like to agree. But then I think of Michael Vick getting picked up by the Eagles.

MCFinARL
01-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Not really about the bowl game, but I wasn't sure it was worth its own thread. Duke one of 6 FBS football teams to get an "A+" rating for its season in a USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/01/10/fbs-college-football-report-card-2013/4404717/) article today.

The grades were based on performance against expectations, so, for example, Alabama got an A-. Other A+ teams: Florida State, Auburn, Central Florida, Michigan State, Baylor.

Not all that meaningful but pretty cool nevertheless.

dukie’s_daughter
01-11-2014, 12:48 AM
Not really about the bowl game, but I wasn't sure it was worth its own thread. Duke one of 6 FBS football teams to get an "A+" rating for its season in a USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/01/10/fbs-college-football-report-card-2013/4404717/) article today.

The grades were based on performance against expectations, so, for example, Alabama got an A-. Other A+ teams: Florida State, Auburn, Central Florida, Michigan State, Baylor.

Not all that meaningful but pretty cool nevertheless.

To quote Ross Cockrell: "We got the grades!"

budwom
01-11-2014, 08:56 AM

A lot of this talk befuddles me. The kid isn't nearly as bad as many make him out to be. I've seen interviews where he speaks clearly, intelligently, and respectfully. And his good words about how hard and
well Duke played after the bowl game were nicer than ANY opponent's all year long.

He's a young kid who did some foolish things (as many young kids do) but he's an extremely gifted football player and teams are going to line up for him.

jv001
01-11-2014, 01:47 PM
A lot of this talk befuddles me. The kid isn't nearly as bad as many make him out to be. I've seen interviews where he speaks clearly, intelligently, and respectfully. And his good words about how hard and
well Duke played after the bowl game were nicer than ANY opponent's all year long.

He's a young kid who did some foolish things (as many young kids do) but he's an extremely gifted football player and teams are going to line up for him.

I think it's not what he says as much as what he does that probably has some GMs concerned. Just as it is with a lot of young men coming out of college. Where they'll be making more money than they've ever thought about making. GoDuke!

roywhite
01-15-2014, 03:20 PM
Johnny Manziel ranks No. 1 on top 50 NFL prospects list (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000312939/article/johnny-manziel-ranks-no-1-on-top-50-nfl-prospects-list?campaign=Twitter_writers_brandt)

This according to Gil Brandt, longtime Dallas Cowboy GM and draft guru

Also notable:
Jake Matthews TxA&M OT #4; Mike Evans TxA&M WR #20 (so the Aggies had 3 of the top 20 2014 NFL draft prospects)
Sammy Watkins Clemson WR #7
Eric Ebron UNC TE #16

gotoguy
01-16-2014, 04:17 PM
SB Nation has an article up in the news section listing the top 100 college football games of the 2013 season with detailed discussion of the top 10 including video. Living in Atlanta I guessed the top 4 correctly and in order (trust me). A great read. Perhaps someone more adept than I can post a link?

roywhite
01-16-2014, 04:29 PM
SB Nation has an article up in the news section listing the top 100 college football games of the 2013 season with detailed discussion of the top 10 including video. Living in Atlanta I guessed the top 4 correctly and in order (trust me). A great read. Perhaps someone more adept than I can post a link?

Top college football games of past season (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/1/16/5312712/best-college-football-games-2013-auburn-alabama-iron-bowl)

Chick-Fil-A Bowl #4

Auburn is in each ot the top 3

cato
01-16-2014, 04:44 PM
What has Manziel done off the field to scare away an owner. Sign a few autographs? Show off? Have a lot of girl friends? I saw a guy who seemed to rip into his teammate when he got a bonehead penalty. I saw a guy who wants to win. While I guess I am giving away my age how is his off the field any different than Joe Namath or Paul Hornung or Brett Favre?

Did Namath, Hornung or Favre ever get kicked out of something like the Manning camp?

Living in SD, I know all too well the risk of wasting a high draft pick on a QB bust. It is devestating to draft someone with the maturity of a Ryan Leaf.

I imagine that owners will be concerned about whether Manziel has the character to achieve his potential (which his father did not), not necessarily whether he will stay out of the gossip column.

A-Tex Devil
01-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Did Namath, Hornung or Favre ever get kicked out of something like the Manning camp?

Living in SD, I know all too well the risk of wasting a high draft pick on a QB bust. It is devestating to draft someone with the maturity of a Ryan Leaf.

I imagine that owners will be concerned about whether Manziel has the character to achieve his potential (which his father did not), not necessarily whether he will stay out of the gossip column.

I'll give Johnny a break on most of his stuff, but I also don't fault a team for thinking it all adds up to something worth passing on.

Johnny's biggest problem is going to be when NFL teams pop in this year's LSU tape. Yes, he was outstanding against 'Bama, but a ton of those yards were him throwing to Mike Evans in blanket coverage and trusting his bigger receiver to make the play. LSU took Evans out of that game, and that really shut Johnny down.

That said, Manziel's ceiling is high. Really high. Think a combination of Brees/SteveYoung QB that is basically an upgraded version of what Russell Wilson is doing right now. His floor is Blaine Gabbert if he loses the locker room, and I'm not kidding. It's as big of a ceiling to floor disparity as I can remember.

cato
01-16-2014, 07:39 PM
I'll give Johnny a break on most of his stuff, but I also don't fault a team for thinking it all adds up to something worth passing on.

Don't get me wrong: I would probably give him a break, too. But my job doesn't depend on getting the answer right.

uh_no
01-01-2015, 06:43 PM

I have an amazing respect for his game and I think he will do very well in the NFL. He is undersized, but as Russel Wilson has proved, if you can play, you can play.

Having watched only the bowl game, I think Manziel's arm strength is underrated because he's throwing on the run so much. Despite that, he seems accurate with his throws. It's fair to ask whether his scrambling will translate to the next level, but he's definitely as good a scrambler as college has ever seen. I think he'll do fine in the NFL unless the Browns draft him.

I currently have him going #4 to the Browns. They'll try to turn him into a pocket passer.

Manziel is very fast on his feet and has a strong accurate arm. He won't be able to do everything in the pros that he did he college, but he certainly has skills that should translate.

I don't see any reason to think he's any less ready to handle the NFL than the average kid going pro early.

A lot of this talk befuddles me. The kid isn't nearly as bad as many make him out to be.

Sorry for bumping....was bored and thinking about the things we said about Mr. Football last year.

A cautionary tale that success in college does not necessarily translate to the NFL....and willingness to prepare and be a student of the game is often far more important that above average athletic ability.

Not taking the game seriously will trump any amount of speed. The kind of shenanigans Johnny pulled in college works in the NFL when you can already do the other things well (run an offense, read a defense, pass competently, etc). You can't, however, use it to cover up for your inability to do the other stuff, which you may have been able to get away with in college.

Props to toooskies for calling it like it was. Exactly (well except where the browns drafted him).

FerryFor50
01-01-2015, 08:07 PM
Sorry for bumping....was bored and thinking about the things we said about Mr. Football last year.

A cautionary tale that success in college does not necessarily translate to the NFL....and willingness to prepare and be a student of the game is often far more important that above average athletic ability.

Not taking the game seriously will trump any amount of speed. The kind of shenanigans Johnny pulled in college works in the NFL when you can already do the other things well (run an offense, read a defense, pass competently, etc). You can't, however, use it to cover up for your inability to do the other stuff, which you may have been able to get away with in college.

Props to toooskies for calling it like it was. Exactly (well except where the browns drafted him).

Hey don't forget the ones that thought stuff like this...

Tripping William
01-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Finish the joke: Johnny Manzeil and Jameis Winston walk into a bar ....

devildeac
01-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Finish the joke: Johnny Manzeil and Jameis Winston walk into a bar ....

I'm fumbling around to find the words to finish that...

Tripping William
01-01-2015, 08:18 PM
I'm fumbling around to find the words to finish that...

Why so crabby?

devildeac
01-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Why so crabby?

I don't know what the shell you are talking about;).

Tripping William
01-01-2015, 08:37 PM
I don't know what the shell you are talking about;).

Does a Red Rider shoot shells? I thought it just shot BB's.