PDA

View Full Version : ACC Bowl Performance

Olympic Fan
12-30-2013, 10:25 PM
As we know, the ACC had a record 11 bowl teams this season.

So far (after Monday night's games), the ACC is 3-3 with wins from Syracuse, Pitt and UNC ... losses to Maryland, Miami and Georgia Tech

Need three more wins to finish with a winning record:

Three of those games are tomorrow:
Duke-Texas A&M in the CFA Bowl
Virginia Tech-UCLA in the Sun Bowl
Boston College vs. Arizona in the Advocare Bowl

Friday night we get Clemson-Ohio State in the Orange
Monday night we get FSU-Auburn in the title game

So far, not bad, but if the ACC wants respect and winning record -- including a win by FSU -- would go a long way toward achieving that.

BTW: Did anybody else watch the Armed Forces Bowl early Monday?

I had little rooting interest as I started, but watching the game, I thought Middle Tennessee was quite possibly the dirtiest football team I've ever seen. They reminded me of Miami in the '90s with their posturing and cheap shots. One guy in particular -- #33 (Blunt) was in a class by himself -- he eventually picked up two personal fouls and was ejected, but he got away with two even dirtier plays -- the cameras caught him throwing a forearm to the head of a fallen player in a pile. Another time, he was laying atop the Navy QB, his fingers poking through the face mask, trying to gouge his eyes out.

There was another play when Navy converted a fourth down play and a Middle Tennessee defender -- who wasn't involved in the tackle, celebrated the play by dancing and waving and (apparently) taunting the Navy bench ... he picked up a 15-yard penalty. But what made it classic stupidity was that his celebration came on a play when Navy picked up the first down on fourth down.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-31-2013, 12:13 AM
The best way for the ACC to get respect is for Duke to beat Texas A&M tonight. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif And we will. So it is written, so it shall be. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

FerryFor50
12-31-2013, 12:16 AM
Are we really still counting Maryland as an ACC team?

ice-9
12-31-2013, 12:47 AM
Are we really still counting Maryland as an ACC team?

I'm also counting Louisville as an ACC team, so in my mind the ACC is off to a good start with a 3-1 record thus far. :)

Bob Green
12-31-2013, 06:58 AM
BTW: Did anybody else watch the Armed Forces Bowl early Monday?

I had little rooting interest as I started, but watching the game, I thought Middle Tennessee was quite possibly the dirtiest football team I've ever seen.

I watched every second of the game with great rooting interest and agree will all your comments on Middle Tennessee. The university should be embarrassed by their team's outlandish behavior. Linebacker Blunt (#33) should be disciplined for his dirty play, which included attempting to gouge Navy QB Keenan Reynolds eyes out. The Head Coach is ultimately responsible for the conduct of his team, on the field, so I hope the Middle Tennessee coach is censored/fined/suspended or somehow appropriately held responsible.

The 24-6 beat down the Midshipmen put on the Blue Raiders was an absolute joy to watch! :) In the end, Middle Tennessee's ridiculous, undisciplined behavior was for naught.

YmoBeThere
12-31-2013, 05:46 PM
The ACC looks like it will be 0-2 going into this evening's game. And the two early contests weren't even close.

YmoBeThere
01-01-2014, 09:44 PM
Not inconceivable at this point that the ACC goes 3-8.

Duvall
01-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Not inconceivable at this point that the ACC goes 3-8.

Anything is conceivable, but FSU has been a lot better than Auburn this year. So there's that.

uh_no
01-01-2014, 11:55 PM
Anything is conceivable, but FSU has been a lot better than Auburn this year. So there's that.

auburn has played a much tougher schedule than fsu.....but what's the point worrying about it.....we'll find out in a few days...

FerryFor50
01-02-2014, 12:10 AM
auburn has played a much tougher schedule than fsu.....but what's the point worrying about it.....we'll find out in a few days...

Auburn has also escaped with some miracle wins. Will be an interesting game...

uh_no
01-02-2014, 12:37 AM
Auburn has also escaped with some miracle wins. Will be an interesting game...

yep. fully agree, i'm certainly interested to see if this is the year the SEC gets knocked off its throne

FerryFor50
01-02-2014, 12:38 AM
yep. fully agree, i'm certainly interested to see if this is the year the SEC gets knocked off its throne

One can only hope. :)

FerryFor50
01-02-2014, 12:49 AM
On a side note, UCF did to Baylor what Duke could have done to A&M. :(

Olympic Fan
01-04-2014, 12:51 AM
Well, try as they might, Clemson couldn't quite choke away the Orange Bowl.

If you watched the game, you know that Clemson was the much superior team, but almost blew it with incredible stupidity. Ohio State's first TD drive was kept alive after Clemson's Beasley pocked up an unsportsmanlike behavior penalty for his little display after what should have been a drive-killing sack. Another OSU TD drive was kept alive when the4 Clemson sideline was penalized for delay of game (turning a fourth and one into a first down). Boyd was lucky on his first TD run, he casually flicked the ball away as he crossed the goal line -- it's not clear if he dropped it early or not, but it was close ...

There were a ton of other stupid plays, but in the end, Ohio State couldn't protect Braxton Miller from the Clemson pass rush and that saved the Tigers.

Clemson's win lifts the ACC to 4-6 in bowl games ... we can't get to .500, but an FSU win Monday -- coupled with Clemson's win Saturday -- would really help the ACC's profile.

Newton_14
01-04-2014, 07:12 AM
Well, try as they might, Clemson couldn't quite choke away the Orange Bowl.

If you watched the game, you know that Clemson was the much superior team, but almost blew it with incredible stupidity. Ohio State's first TD drive was kept alive after Clemson's Beasley pocked up an unsportsmanlike behavior penalty for his little display after what should have been a drive-killing sack. Another OSU TD drive was kept alive when the4 Clemson sideline was penalized for delay of game (turning a fourth and one into a first down). Boyd was lucky on his first TD run, he casually flicked the ball away as he crossed the goal line -- it's not clear if he dropped it early or not, but it was close ...

There were a ton of other stupid plays, but in the end, Ohio State couldn't protect Braxton Miller from the Clemson pass rush and that saved the Tigers.

Clemson's win lifts the ACC to 4-6 in bowl games ... we can't get to .500, but an FSU win Monday -- coupled with Clemson's win Saturday -- would really help the ACC's profile.

First, Thanks God! The ACC finally won a BCS Bowl game for the first time in forever. Congrats to Clemson for getting it done. I did watch it and fully agree with you. I did think there were some very strange calls, all of which seemingly went against the Tigers, but they somehow overcame that and their own ineptness to pull out the win. One example was a call late in the game. I had the volume down a little bit too low to fully hear the explanation, but OSU ran a play to the left sidelines near the OSU bench, and came up a yard short of a first down. Somehow the refs call either sideline interference or something to that effect against the Clemson sidelines which turned 4th and 1 into an automatic 1st Down. I could not figure out how the Clemson coaches or bench players could have impacted a play that went out of bounds on the OSU side of the field. It made no sense. The late hit call when Clemson drilled the QB on the TD play was bad in my opinion as well.

As for Clemson, that last interception that sealed the game was iffy and Clemson was fortunate no review took place. Like with Boyd earlier, the Clemson defender was a bit too nonchalant in securing the ball all the way through the end of the play. Especially at the end when the ball was coming out and rather than doing everything possible to hold onto it, he just let it drop to the ground.

sagegrouse
01-04-2014, 09:31 AM
First, Thanks God! The ACC finally won a BCS Bowl game for the first time in forever. Congrats to Clemson for getting it done. I did watch it and fully agree with you. I did think there were some very strange calls, all of which seemingly went against the Tigers, but they somehow overcame that and their own ineptness to pull out the win. One example was a call late in the game. I had the volume down a little bit too low to fully hear the explanation, but OSU ran a play to the left sidelines near the OSU bench, and came up a yard short of a first down. Somehow the refs call either sideline interference or something to that effect against the Clemson sidelines which turned 4th and 1 into an automatic 1st Down. I could not figure out how the Clemson coaches or bench players could have impacted a play that went out of bounds on the OSU side of the field. It made no sense. The late hit call when Clemson drilled the QB on the TD play was bad in my opinion as well.

As for Clemson, that last interception that sealed the game was iffy and Clemson was fortunate no review took place. Like with Boyd earlier, the Clemson defender was a bit too nonchalant in securing the ball all the way through the end of the play. Especially at the end when the ball was coming out and rather than doing everything possible to hold onto it, he just let it drop to the ground.

What is happening at the end of these bowls games?! The Orange Bowl last night had three INTs in the last 2-3 minutes. Fortunately, Clemson won that battle, 2-1. The CFA bowl saw Duke go the whole game without a turnover and then throw two INTs in its last two possessions. Oklahoma State was marching for the lead and gave up a sack and a fumble in the last minute, which Mizzou returned 73 yards for TD. We saw Bama turn the ball over multiple times at the end of the Sugar Bowl.

I guess credit goes to the defense, but the head coaches should think through how to play in offense in tense situations like these.

Olympic Fan
01-04-2014, 12:53 PM
First, Thanks God! The ACC finally won a BCS Bowl game for the first time in forever.

Hate to be picky, but the ACC DID win a BCS bowl last season -- not that it was that impressive, but FSU beat Northern Illinois in the Orange Bowl.

And Virginia Tech did beat Stanford in the 2011 Orange Bowl (after the 2010 season).

I agree that the ACC's BCS record has not been good, but it hasn't been a total wasteland lately.

After the 2011 season, the ACC was 0-2 with Clemson getting blown out by West Virginia in the Orange Bowl and Virginia Tech losing to Michigan in overtime in the Sugar Bowl.

So over the last four seasons, the ACC is 3-2 in BCS Bowls and has a chance to go 4-2.

I'm sure what you are thinking of is the period between 2000 and 2009, when the ACC lost 10 straight major bowls (when did the BCS start ... I think FSU's loss to Oklahoma in the 2001 national title game (the Orange Bowl) was the first BCS year). Before Virginia Tech's win in the 2011 Orange Bowl, the previous ACC win in a major bowl was FSU's 2000 Sugar Bowl (again after the 1999 season) victory over Virginia Tech (at that time in the Big East). That was the national title game under the old bowl coalition.

blazindw
01-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Hate to be picky, but the ACC DID win a BCS bowl last season -- not that it was that impressive, but FSU beat Northern Illinois in the Orange Bowl.

And Virginia Tech did beat Stanford in the 2011 Orange Bowl (after the 2010 season).

I agree that the ACC's BCS record has not been good, but it hasn't been a total wasteland lately.

After the 2011 season, the ACC was 0-2 with Clemson getting blown out by West Virginia in the Orange Bowl and Virginia Tech losing to Michigan in overtime in the Sugar Bowl.

So over the last four seasons, the ACC is 3-2 in BCS Bowls and has a chance to go 4-2.

I'm sure what you are thinking of is the period between 2000 and 2009, when the ACC lost 10 straight major bowls (when did the BCS start ... I think FSU's loss to Oklahoma in the 2001 national title game (the Orange Bowl) was the first BCS year). Before Virginia Tech's win in the 2011 Orange Bowl, the previous ACC win in a major bowl was FSU's 2000 Sugar Bowl (again after the 1999 season) victory over Virginia Tech (at that time in the Big East). That was the national title game under the old bowl coalition.

The first BCS year was 1998-99, with Tee Martin's Tennessee winning the national championship over FSU. FSU won the next season over Michael Vick and Virginia Tech. The 3rd year was the OU victory over FSU that you mentioned.

pfrduke
01-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Thus ends the tyranny of the SEC.

FerryFor50
01-07-2014, 12:05 AM
Gus Malzahn had a play called "sportscenter" that they ran at the end of the game. Nice looking play, but no dice. Heckuva game. Way better than seeing FSU mop the floor up with them.

OldPhiKap
01-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Congrats to FSU and the ACC.

Great game.

killerleft
01-07-2014, 12:10 AM
Great poise showed by FSU after being down by 18 early. Brent and Kirk had an SEC love-fest going the whole game. The ACC certainly needed this. Thanks to the 'Noles!

Mike Corey
01-07-2014, 12:16 AM
Big win the for the ACC. Winston wasn't at his best, until that final drive. Goodness gracious.

Looking forward to Duke-Ohio State in the title game next season.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-07-2014, 12:17 AM
Before this game tonight, the largest audience to watch a bowl game (9 mil) watched Duke and A&M slug it out in what used to be the Peach Bowl. How many watched this championship game?

Duvall
01-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Before this game tonight, the largest audience to watch a bowl game (9 mil) watched Duke and A&M slug it out in what used to be the Peach Bowl. How many watched this championship game?

Largest audience to watch a non-BCS bowl game. Peach Bowl still has that.

-bdbd
01-07-2014, 01:07 AM
Great, great game tonight. One of the most entertaining Championship games in BCS history.

I was rooting for the ACC all the way (and by proxy FSU). I thought that FSU was the more talented team, but that Auburn played better and was better coached, for at least three quarters.

This was important for the ACC. We now have the reigning National Champs, went 2-0 in BCS games (over, arguably, the best SEC and Big10 teams), had a record 11 bowl teams (13 if you count L'ville and ND), and came within a whisker of beating .500 in Bowls overall. I'd call it a successful year for ACC football.

Also, give Fisher credit for for getting in a plug for ACC football in the post-game interview... :-)

ice-9
01-07-2014, 01:49 AM
...and came within a whisker of beating .500 in Bowls overall. I'd call it a successful year for ACC football.

Excluding Maryland and Miami's loss to future ACC team Louisville, the ACC's bowl record is 5-4. That breaks 0.500! And two of those wins were pretty major -- if only we could've pulled out the win against Texas A&M.

Speaking of, have you guys seen ESPN's too early top 25? http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10246704/florida-state-leads-2014-way-too-early-top-25-rankings

How is a Texas A&M who we almost beat, who won't have miracle maker Manziel back, be ranked #16 while Duke is unranked? Disrespect!

FerryFor50
01-07-2014, 06:42 AM
Excluding Maryland and Miami's loss to future ACC team Louisville, the ACC's bowl record is 5-4. That breaks 0.500! And two of those wins were pretty major -- if only we could've pulled out the win against Texas A&M.

Speaking of, have you guys seen ESPN's too early top 25? http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10246704/florida-state-leads-2014-way-too-early-top-25-rankings

How is a Texas A&M who we almost beat, who won't have miracle maker Manziel back, be ranked #16 while Duke is unranked? Disrespect!

Manziel has not "officially" announced he is leaving, but most think he is as good as gone.

A&M also lost Mike Evans. So unless they cloned Manziel and get a better defense, hard to understand their high ranking. In fact, they may not be a top 25 team.

Final AP poll is out. Duke with some respect at #23!

http://college-football.si.com/2014/01/07/final-ap-poll-florida-state/?eref=sihp

OldPhiKap
01-07-2014, 07:06 AM
Manziel has not "officially" announced he is leaving, but most think he is as good as gone.

A&M also lost Mike Evans. So unless they cloned Manziel and get a better defense, hard to understand their high ranking. In fact, they may not be a top 25 team.

Final AP poll is out. Duke with some respect at #23!

http://college-football.si.com/2014/01/07/final-ap-poll-florida-state/?eref=sihp

I may be getting my polls mixed up, but it looks like Duke moved up from 24 to 23, and Texas A&M went up from 21 to 18. In any event, glad to see that our showing in the bowl game let folks know we belonged to be in the top 25.

bleudiable
01-07-2014, 07:56 AM
I may be getting my polls mixed up, but it looks like Duke moved up from 24 to 23, and Texas A&M went up from 21 to 18. In any event, glad to see that our showing in the bowl game let folks know we belonged to be in the top 25.

In all final polls for 2013 season, including the BCS, we moved up or stayed constant due to our great showing against A&M. In ESPN's pre-season 2014 projection "poll," we were not listed, but UNC was in the mid-teens, so take that for what it's worth (nothing).

Kfanarmy
01-07-2014, 08:45 AM

A&M is probably in the "too early top 25" because the've been there before, so the expectations are probably a bit higher. Duke is ending its season in the bottom of the top 25 for the first time in a long, long while...it may take a couple of years of consistent performance before folks expect Duke to start a season in the top 25.

CDu
01-07-2014, 08:57 AM
Great game by Auburn. FSU was the more talented team, but Auburn played a MUCH better game. They thoroughly confused Winston, who was even missing the read on the zone read plays. It was a pretty dismal game for Winston with the exception of the last drives of each half.

Pretty fun game to watch. Glad FSU got the win so (at least for this year) we can stop hearing about SEC dominance.

Dev11
01-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Did anybody watch the alternate broadcast of the game with the coaches breaking down film? I found it highly entertaining and informative. Hopefully ESPN can figure out how to get that kind of coverage for more football in the future.

Bob Green
01-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Glad FSU got the win so (at least for this year) we can stop hearing about SEC dominance.

I'm not sure we will stop hearing it. On Sports Radio yesterday afternoon, while discussing a possible FSU win, SVP stated (I'm paraphrasing), an FSU win will not mean anything, the ACC will still be a weak conference and the SEC will still be the dominant conference. He utilized conference overall bowl game performance as justification for his point of view.

SVP is a blowhard, and I really want him to be wrong, but I have a hard time disagreeing with him. As a conference, we have a long ways to go. Performance in 2013 is definitely a step in the right direction.

Dev11
01-07-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure we will stop hearing it. On Sports Radio yesterday afternoon, while discussing a possible FSU win, SVP stated (I'm paraphrasing), an FSU win will not mean anything, the ACC will still be a weak conference and the SEC will still be the dominant conference. He utilized conference overall bowl game performance as justification for his point of view.

SVP is a blowhard, and I really want him to be wrong, but I have a hard time disagreeing with him. As a conference, we have a long ways to go. Performance in 2013 is definitely a step in the right direction.

I disagree that SVP is a blowhard (usually), and to be fair, the SEC is still probably the best conference. They've put a team in the BCS title game, and won it, more than every other conference combined, like Duke and UNC's collective basketball dominance over other conferences. This year, the SEC didn't perform up to their lofty standards, and they still did pretty well overall (BCS bowls notwithstanding).

killerleft
01-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Well, there's always somebody gonna rain on the parade, blowhard or not. The national title makes a pretty good umbrella. Congrats again to FSU, and thanks.

Class of '94
01-07-2014, 11:33 AM

I have no problem with calling the SEC a dominant conference; but I do have a problem with him call the ACC a weak conference. The ACC had a record 11 teams in bowl games; 3 teams in the top 25 and back to back years of being 2-0 in BCS bowls while doing well last year in high profile bowl games. In addition, the ACC gets Louisville which will still be an upgrade over MD (even without Strong as the HC).

I guess its still all about perception and the ACC has to continue to win high profile games; but if SVP calls the ACC a weak conference, then what does he think about his new BIG conference that MD is going to? The ACC had far more bowl teams this year than that conference. Their top team for most of the year lost to our 2nd best team in a BCS bowl; and their record in high profile bowl games over the last few years hasn't been that great (especially against the SEC and other top conferences). The BIG hasn't been in the title game or won a National championship since the early 2000s with Ohio State; and I would argue that the BIG was the 5th best conference of the 5 power conferences in football this year. So if SVP calls the ACC a weak conference, what does that make the BIG?? A pathetic conference?? I'm just sayin.........

Kfanarmy
01-07-2014, 03:25 PM
I have no problem with calling the SEC a dominant conference.........

I believe the SEC dominance in FBS championships under the BCS is singificantly a matter of the format. Using the bowls to define end of season rankings is hugely advantageous to the SEC, as compared to the other major conferences. As I see it, the SEC played in 10 bowl games this year. In six of those games, I’d argue the SEC team had a significant “home” field advantage playing in SEC territory and more often than not much closer to their home stadium. Three of the games were true neutral sites, including the championship game in CA. Only in one could you reasonable assert the SEC team was at a significant geographic disadvantage…the Duke vs A&M game played in Atlanta. So the SEC goes 7-3 in bowl games…routinely I’d argue they should win 6-7 games solely based on location – win home games and half the neutral site games. What does that mean? Those teams are considered stronger than their opponents because folks tend to discount where the games are played…post-season rankings lead to pre-season rankings, so as long as you beat the other teams in the SEC, you ought to be in the championship ahead of every other conference, especially if you can manage not to play a top 25 team from another conference away from home. Not sure how people view A&M and Mizzoos performance in the SEC the past two years, but they were traditionally mid dwellers in the Big 12, shouldn’t they be bottom dwellers in the SEC, instead of immediately rising to the top?

duke09hms
01-07-2014, 04:19 PM

No, Virginia Tech got blown out by Stanford in the 2011 Orange Bowl. 40-12. So the ACC BCS bowl drought went even longer.

bob blue devil
01-07-2014, 04:59 PM

Umm... They have a top 5 incoming class, while we don't have a top 50 class. And at the end of the day, we didn't beat them.

Class of '94
01-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Umm... They have a top 5 incoming class, while we don't have a top 50 class. And at the end of the day, we didn't beat them.

I don't have as much of a problem with Texas A and M being ranked in the top 25 as I do UNC being ranked in the top 25 and we're not. Granted, we lost our bowl game and I think Carolina winning had a lot to do with them being ranked in this way too early preseason top 25 poll. We beat UNC 2 years in a row and at the very least, if UNC is thought of enough to be ranked in the top 25, we should be too, especially considering that many at the beginninng of the this season thought next year's team would be better.

ice-9
01-08-2014, 01:14 AM

I can see this being an issue in the next next or next next next season, but for 2014-2015 we're a lot less reliant on freshmen than A&M.

And we would have won if not for Manziel, who nobody expects to be returning next season. Maybe even EASILY if their quarterback was only SEC-average instead of being a former Heisman Trophy winner -- and it's kinda hard to replace those guys.

I'd put even-money on Duke if we had a rematch next year on a neutral site.

bob blue devil
01-08-2014, 03:04 PM
I can see this being an issue in the next next or next next next season, but for 2014-2015 we're a lot less reliant on freshmen than A&M.

And we would have won if not for Manziel, who nobody expects to be returning next season. Maybe even EASILY if their quarterback was only SEC-average instead of being a former Heisman Trophy winner -- and it's kinda hard to replace those guys.

I'd put even-money on Duke if we had a rematch next year on a neutral site.

And, of course, recruiting rankings don't mean everything. That said, their recruiting class ranking for each of their classes dominate ours. We both lose players, we both have players maturing, and we both have new incoming freshman. We've been upgrading talent. They've been upgrading talent. We've got a great coach pushing our program in the right direction, they've got a great coach pushing their program in the right direction. If you took a poll, I think consensus would be Duke outperformed while A&M underperformed. The projected ranking or whatever it is simply reflects a bit of a reversion to the relative means and talent levels. Yes, I'm hopeful Duke did not overachieve, but I don't see it as an outrageous position.

FerryFor50
01-08-2014, 03:09 PM
And, of course, recruiting rankings don't mean everything. That said, their recruiting class ranking for each of their classes dominate ours. We both lose players, we both have players maturing, and we both have new incoming freshman. We've been upgrading talent. They've been upgrading talent. We've got a great coach pushing our program in the right direction, they've got a great coach pushing their program in the right direction. If you took a poll, I think consensus would be Duke outperformed while A&M underperformed. The projected ranking or whatever it is simply reflects a bit of a reversion to the relative means and talent levels. Yes, I'm hopeful Duke did not overachieve, but I don't see it as an outrageous position.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that A&M did not upgrade at QB.... :)

bob blue devil
01-08-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that A&M did not upgrade at QB.... :)

point taken. most important player on their team. i believe we're losing cockrell, anunike, harding, simmons, braxton, among others - not exactly chopped liver.

FerryFor50
01-08-2014, 07:47 PM
point taken. most important player on their team. i believe we're losing cockrell, anunike, harding, simmons, braxton, among others - not exactly chopped liver.

Right, but the secondary is deep. Braxton was a #3 or 4 guy. Simmons and Anunike will be the hardest to replace, IMO. But none are on the level of Manziel... None are first round picks.

Olympic Fan
01-09-2014, 01:37 AM

Well, we lost Simmons before the bowl game and still gained almost 700 yards on A&M with Lucas Patrick replacing Perry.

In fact, Duke will return nine of the 11 offensive starters in the A&M game (must replace Dave Harding and Brandon Braxton). Duke will return both kickers and both kick returners (who both made All-American teams).

On defense, there are some holes to fill. Cockrell was a great player, but his spot goes to Breon Borders, who intercepted the Heisman Trophy winner twice. We have All-ACC safety Jeremy Cash and ton of other young DBs (Devon Edwards, Dwayne Norman, Byron Fields, DeAndre Singleton, Corbin McCarthy).

We return both starting linebackers -- one first-team All-ACC (Kelby Brown) and the other the leading tackler in the ACC (David Helton). Backing them up are a senior (CJ France) and a junior (Kyler Brown) who have starting experience.

The biggest hole is the DL, where we lose three senior starters, but we return a fifth-year senior DT who started all this year (Bruce) and three senior DEs who have started before (Dez Johnson, Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo and Jonathan Woodruff).

We'll add a couple of major talents who missed this year with injuries (QB Thomas Sirk; OT Tanner Stone) and some very promising redshirts (CB Evrett Edwards, LB Dominic McDonald, DT Mike Ramsey ...)

Cut's program is starting to kick into high gear. We lost some good players a year ago -- Renfree, Vernon, Scott and Canty -- but were deeper and more talented this past year. We lost some good players off this team as you mention -- Cockrell, Anunike, Simmons, Harding, Foxx -- but will be deeper, more talented and more experienced next year.

ice-9
01-10-2014, 12:06 AM
It's official - Johnny Football is going pro: http://www.usatoday.com/videos/sports/ncaaf/2014/01/09/4377231/