PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Elon Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

BlueDevilBrowns
12-30-2013, 11:03 AM
The game is "at" Elon but the location is the Greensboro Coliseum.

Gametime is 12/31 @ 1PM.

TV is ESPNU.

pfrduke
12-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Elon presents a very different challenge to our defense. This is a pure perimeter oriented team. They don't get to the line very often, they don't pursue offensive rebounds, but instead they bomb away from 3. They're 10th in the country in terms of the percentage of points they get from 3s, 19th in 3 point percentage (40.9% as a team), and over 40% of their field goal attempts come from behind the arc. Sebastian Koch and Tanner Sampson have combined to make 86 of 177 from beyond the arc - nearly 50%. I expect Hood will get the main job chasing Koch around as he's the only one on Duke's team who matches him size wise and has the quickness to cover him at the perimeter.

Of course, there has been no more consistent trend for Duke defenses over the past dozen years than not allowing opponents to shoot 3s. Duke is committed to chasing teams off the 3-point line. Often times, this leads to easier penetration and open 2s - expect some of that tomorrow when playing Elon. But if we can limit their ability to bomb away (and force 3s to come off the dribble rather than off the pass), we'll take away the most effective part of their offense and make them try to beat us by playing a style other than what they most want to play.

When Duke has the ball, it should look to give Parker, Hood, and others scoring opportunities inside. Elon has not been good defensively and has been particularly terrible inside the arc - they give up over 50% shooting on 2s, they foul a ton, and they don't block shots.

rsvman
12-30-2013, 03:34 PM
We can only hope that Rodney didn't give the pukes to half the team. Unless your name is Michael Jordan (or Kyrie Irving), it's pretty hard to have a good game when you are vomiting and having diarrhea.

Troublemaker
12-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Lucas Troutman, Elon's leading scorer at 6'10 220 will probably get some chances to go 1-on-1 vs Amile, Josh, Jabari, and MP3 inside.

As Tommy mentioned in his Interior Defense thread, teams haven't been entering the ball into the post lately. This should change in this game. Elon loves to bomb away from 3-pt land but they're not going to be able to do that against Duke. They're going to hope that Troutman scores efficiently enough inside to free up their shooters.

kmspeaks
12-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Lucas Troutman, Elon's leading scorer at 6'10 220 will probably get some chances to go 1-on-1 vs Amile, Josh, Jabari, and MP3 inside.

As Tommy mentioned in his Interior Defense thread, teams haven't been entering the ball into the post lately. This should change in this game. Elon loves to bomb away from 3-pt land but they're not going to be able to do that against Duke. They're going to hope that Troutman scores efficiently enough inside to free up their shooters.

Troutman is averaging 15.5/game, could this be a case where Duke elects to let him work 1 on 1 inside and end up with 25(+) while shutting down everyone else from the 3 point line?

pfrduke
12-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Troutman is averaging 15.5/game, could this be a case where Duke elects to let him work 1 on 1 inside and end up with 25(+) while shutting down everyone else from the 3 point line?

A la DJ White in the IU game during the 2006 season.

Newton_14
12-30-2013, 06:14 PM

I would bet yes. That is historically how K chooses to game plan. 3's will beat you much easier than 2's will as most people realize. I think we will defend the line like mad men and not double team at all in the post.

BlueDevilBrowns
12-30-2013, 06:30 PM
So is anyone else going to the game tomorrow?

The Coliseum is only about 20 minutes from my home and since I wasn't able to make the Atlanta trip, it was a no-brainer for me to go.

I'm worried it may be pretty empty there.

howardlander
12-30-2013, 06:53 PM

The Coliseum is only about 20 minutes from my home and since I wasn't able to make the Atlanta trip, it was a no-brainer for me to go.

We thought about going (We live in North Durham) but it seemed kind of expensive. I think it was going to be $200 for the three of us. Maybe it would be cheaper to scalp tix on site?

Howard

gam7
12-30-2013, 07:06 PM
A la DJ White in the IU game during the 2006 season.

Hey pfr, do you mean Killingsworth?

August West
12-30-2013, 07:11 PM
We thought about going (We live in North Durham) but it seemed kind of expensive. I think it was going to be $200 for the three of us. Maybe it would be cheaper to scalp tix on site?

Howard

I'm going tomorrow with the family. I got my tickets through Duke when I ordered my season ticket. They were $35 each and they're great seats about even with foul line. I think it would definitely be cheaper to pick some tickets in the parking lot. Hope there is a good turnout tomorrow. :D AW.

tommy
12-30-2013, 07:13 PM

Here's an idea: let's see if we can let him work 1-on-1 inside and NOT end up with 25+ points. How bout Amile, Jabari, Josh, and/or Marshall actually, you know, play good interior defense and stop him? He's a nice player, but he's not exactly Lew Alcindor or Patrick Ewing in there.

noworries
12-30-2013, 08:03 PM

Ticketmaster still has plenty of lower levels when I checked earlier...I was planning on going until I got a free ticket to Atlanta this afternoon:cool:

kmspeaks
12-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Here's an idea: let's see if we can let him work 1-on-1 inside and NOT end up with 25+ points. How bout Amile, Jabari, Josh, and/or Marshall actually, you know, play good interior defense and stop him? He's a nice player, but he's not exactly Lew Alcindor or Patrick Ewing in there.

Of course I like your plan better. However, IF there needs to be a trade-off between doubling down/clogging the lane and chasing Elon off the 3 point line history shows K is willing to let a big man have a career day while shutting down the 3 point shooters. I didn't mean to imply Duke would give Troutman free reign or that he necessarily would score 25+, just that the front court would be tasked with stopping him with good 1 on 1 defense and not much help as the focus would likely be on the perimeter.

This may end up being a doubly good strategy for Duke. Shut down Elon's primary offensive option and force them to try and score in the post which, if I understand your defensive charting correctly, may actually be a strength (or at least not the gigantic weakness many predicted pre-season) of Duke's defense this year. Although this also assumes that in attempting to make 3's difficult they don't give up too many easy drives on ball fakes, poor closeouts, etc.

pfrduke
12-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Hey pfr, do you mean Killingsworth?

Probably (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20051130). My memory gets sketchy on anything prior to my last meal.

Marc81
12-30-2013, 08:43 PM

My wife and I will be attending. We also bought tickets on the duke site.

CatDevil
12-30-2013, 08:52 PM
We will be there in section 111. Cannot wait to see Duke Basketball up close tomorrow and then watch the football game at our neighborhood New Year's Eve Gathering. The party will be pretty tame...cannot say the same for Cole and I during any Duke game. We are pretty vocal :rolleyes:

BlueDevilBrowns
12-30-2013, 09:40 PM
We will be there in section 111. Cannot wait to see Duke Basketball up close tomorrow and then watch the football game at our neighborhood New Year's Eve Gathering. The party will be pretty tame...cannot say the same for Cole and I during any Duke game. We are pretty vocal :rolleyes:

That's great! Nothing brings families together like sports.

My Dad and I will be up top in 228 on the front row. It's a bit far but I've always liked to watch the action from above when in person.

jimrowe0
12-30-2013, 10:15 PM
We will be there in section 111.

gep
12-30-2013, 10:52 PM

I vote for Marshall to take the job. Marshall's bigger, provides a big body.. just make Troutman work very hard... maybe get Troutman frustrated and make mistakes.:cool:

Merlindevildog91
12-31-2013, 09:30 AM
We will be there. Section 124. Not sure where that is, but it has to be a better seat than the last time I saw Duke play in the Coliseum, when I was in the nosebleeds next to 6 high school students who screamed every time JJ got the ball.

BD80
12-31-2013, 10:51 AM
... next to 6 high school students who screamed every time JJ got the ball.

Hopefully females ...

Bob Green
12-31-2013, 11:18 AM
I vote for Marshall to take the job. Marshall's bigger, provides a big body.. just make Troutman work very hard... maybe get Troutman frustrated and make mistakes.:cool:

Troutman played his high school ball at Christ School so MPIII has certainly previously played against him in practice.

Bob Green
12-31-2013, 11:21 AM
...next to 6 high school students who screamed every time JJ got the ball.

C'mon, we all know you were screaming along with 'em. :)

kmspeaks
12-31-2013, 01:22 PM
Andre's winning *clap clap, clap clap clap*

subzero02
12-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Go Andre!!!

GGLC
12-31-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm at work so I'm just following along with the gametracker.

Loving Andre's shots, and it looks like Marshall had an active few minutes.

I won't comment on Josh's missed jumper.

Furniture
12-31-2013, 01:37 PM
For the most part Marshall did really well. Everyone is doing very well so far.

sagegrouse
12-31-2013, 01:47 PM
Crawl on the ESPNU screen when Duke led 14 to 2:

"Duke on a 12-2 Run"

Saratoga2
12-31-2013, 01:51 PM
Maybe its the venue or just rust, but Rodney and Quinn haven't got their touch. Good thing Andre and the non-starters are hitting theirs. All is well and it is good to see Marshall take advantage of some burn by playing well.

GGLC
12-31-2013, 01:52 PM
Only one free throw attempt for us in the first half.

pfrduke
12-31-2013, 01:55 PM

In both directions, the refs have not been calling contact on drives. Rodney and Jabari both got hit several times with no call.

ChrisP
12-31-2013, 01:59 PM

Well, we're likely going to win this game no matter what, but 1 FT attempt is ridiculous. I know the refs have called a couple charges against Elon but they have let a TON of contact go on our end of the floor. There was one play where Parker was clearly fouled by two guys as he was driving to the hoop and...crickets. Ridiculous. I hate when refs swallow their whistles in games like this where one team is the underdog.

GGLC
12-31-2013, 02:17 PM
And now we're 1 for 7 from the free throw line? Yikes.

DukieInBrasil
12-31-2013, 02:17 PM
well, now we've taken 3 FTs, 1-3. That's kinda lame, lack of focus.
MP3 continues to have never hit a FT in his Duke career. He's already got his career high in points though, and seems to be playing pretty well.
Well, since posting that bit first, we've stunk it up from the line even more, still at 33%, but 3-9 overall. Terrible focus from the boys in that regard. Regression from Amile there (0-2) and Hood continues to struggle shooting (carryover from last game), as he's 1-8 FG and 2-4 FTs.

Troublemaker
12-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Amile had some sort of elbow stinger when he shot his free throws. Was shaking it off and called for a sub. Hope he's okay.

Relax with the nitpicking. Keep in mind Pomeroy had this as a 12-pt game, Vegas had it as a 17-pt game. Do the math on the margin right now.

uh_no
12-31-2013, 02:33 PM
MP3 continues to have never hit a FT in his Duke career. He's already got his career high in points though, and seems to be playing pretty well.
Well, since posting that bit first, we've stunk it up from the line even more, still at 33%, but 3-9 overall. Terrible focus from the boys in that regard. Regression from Amile there (0-2) and Hood continues to struggle shooting (carryover from last game), as he's 1-8 FG and 2-4 FTs.

it's impossible to determine a regression with any confidence given a sample size of 2.....even a 80% shooter goes 0-2 once out of every 25 tries

that said, yeah, free throws are clearly a problem with this team....and they will cost us a big time game down the line if we keep putting up performances like this

GGLC
12-31-2013, 02:36 PM
Amile had some sort of elbow stinger when he shot his free throws. Was shaking it off and called for a sub. Hope he's okay.

Relax with the nitpicking. Keep in mind Pomeroy had this as a 12-pt game, Vegas had it as a 17-pt game. Do the math on the margin right now.

I'm not complaining about the performance overall in the least. I just echo uh no's concern about free throws biting us when it counts.

Troublemaker
12-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Duke is a very good FT shooting team; for the season, we are shooting 73% from the line. Compare that with other contenders who are mostly sub-70%.

Duvall
12-31-2013, 02:46 PM
that said, yeah, free throws are clearly a problem with this team....and they will cost us a big time game down the line if we keep putting up performances like this

73.3% on the year, 60th in the country.

They *haven't* been putting up performances like this.

GGLC
12-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Duke is a very good FT shooting team; for the season, we are shooting 73% from the line. Compare that with other contenders who are mostly sub-70%.

Pfft...facts.

;)

uh_no
12-31-2013, 02:51 PM
73.3% on the year, 60th in the country.

They *haven't* been putting up performances like this.

hey hey, now no fair letting facts get in the way of a good hypothesis!

Furniture
12-31-2013, 02:52 PM

Amile was clearly affected by the elbow stinger when he took those free throws.
All in all a very relaxed strong performance by the boys.

wk2109
12-31-2013, 02:53 PM
Congrats to Nick Pagliuca on his first career point!

Nick already has more made free throws in his career than Marshall does (1/2 vs. 0/15).

Furniture
12-31-2013, 02:55 PM
Congrats to Nick on his first career point!

Nick Pagliuca already has more made free throws in his career than Marshall does (1/2 vs. 0/15).

I think Marshall's game is improving leaps and bounds. Today you could really see the depth of the talent on this team!