PDA

View Full Version : McGary to have back surgery; out "indefinitely"

tommy
12-27-2013, 04:43 PM
Kid hasn't been right all year. Many will now say he should've gone pro after his and the Wolverines' big run late last year. Too bad for him and the team. Link is here (http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2013/12/michigan_forward_mitch_mcgary.html).

Of course #1 is for McGary to get healthy and get back to playing ball, but I gotta say it did cross my mind that this is going to be another hit to Duke's SOS come tournament time. Obviously there's a lot of basketball to be played, but Michigan is not the same team without him, and I don't think they're a serious contender anymore for the Big 10 title. They're going to lose a bunch of games probably, which means our SOS will take a hit. Our OOC SOS wasn't going to be great this year anyway, and with this, and Kansas struggling somewhat and lower ranked (for now) than they usually are, really our ability to make seeding arguments in our favor based on our schedule may be diminished from what it usually is. Of course, if we are very strong in ACC play it may not matter, but still. And again, lots and lots of ball to be played before the impact of the OOC schedule, on Duke, is known.

FerryFor50
12-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Kid hasn't been right all year. Many will now say he should've gone pro after his and the Wolverines' big run late last year.

I said that from the start. He was never going to live up to that run without Trey Burke and Hardaway. McGary reminds me a lot of Mark Madsen.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-27-2013, 05:44 PM
First, we can't control any of this SOS stuff, so why worry?

Second, if we're gonna have a thread about a hurt player, shouldn't it be a sympathetic one? Not a "told ya so" indictment of his choice to return to school? Or focused on a selfish concern like our SOS?

FerryFor50
12-27-2013, 06:05 PM

Second, if we're gonna have a thread about a hurt player, shouldn't it be a sympathetic one? Not a "told ya so" indictment of his choice to return to school? Or focused on a selfish concern like our SOS?

My post had nothing to do with his injury. Mine was about McGary's draft stock regardless of injury.

It sucks that he got hurt, but the reality is that this is the risk of returning to school when you are projected to be drafted in the first round. It's perfectly reasonable to discuss it and isn't off limits.

tommy
12-27-2013, 06:20 PM

I'm sorry, but I could've sworn I started off this thread, and my post, by stating that "many" will now second guess his decision to come back, not that I was. And then the very next thing I said was that it was "too bad for him and the team." Then I said that the #1 thing was for him to get healthy. Is that the kind of sympathy and proper prioritization you were looking for?

Then when I mentioned the SOS issue, I said it "crossed my mind." Not that it is primary, as I already said that "#1" was Mitch getting healthy.

Ease up, Dr. Rosenrosen.

bob blue devil
12-27-2013, 06:38 PM

Agree with tommy, ease up Doc.

I certainly wish Mitch a fast and full recovery.

The stay or go debate is a fun one, but this is only one data point and, despite this setback, Mitch's story is yet to be written.

Reilly
12-27-2013, 07:53 PM
tommy, maybe #1 for you is for the player to get healthy, but for me, #1 is strength of schedule. Always has been, always will be.

1. Duke's strength of schedule.
2. That water stain on the ceiling.
3. The dog barking at the candy dish -- is it far enough out of reach?
4. Health and safety of loved ones.
5. World peace, the environment, the economy ...
6. Health of a Michigan big man.

JasonEvans
12-28-2013, 09:44 AM
I hope McGary gets better soon.

There...

I also think he may go down along with JMM as two big men who made really, really foolish NBA draft decisions as freshmen. Both guys were projected as clear top 10 picks in the draft, perhaps even top 5. JMM would not even sniff the first round at this point and seems likely to be a mid-late 2nd rounder after his senior year next year. McGary is fast on his way to the same fate.

No, on the other hand, we saw something similar a few years back when McJosh was a lottery kid as a freshman but came back and had a, in NBA terms, disappointing soph season at Duke casing him to fall into the middle of the 2nd round. He bounced around the league a bit, struggling to find a home and a role but seems to have really begun to blossom in Charlotte. He's making $3 mil+ a year right now and will be a free agent at the end of this season. I suspect he will command even bigger bucks in the off-season.

-Jason "Charlotte is really running their O through Josh a lot. He is piling up crazy assist numbers for a PF" Evans

comdytrd
12-28-2013, 02:26 PM
tommy, maybe #1 for you is for the player to get healthy, but for me, #1 is strength of schedule. Always has been, always will be.

1. Duke's strength of schedule.
2. That water stain on the ceiling.
3. The dog barking at the candy dish -- is it far enough out of reach?
4. Health and safety of loved ones.
5. World peace, the environment, the economy ...
6. Health of a Michigan big man.

Yeah, what's the deal with that water stain?

Henderson
12-28-2013, 03:35 PM
A little perspective here please.

A 21 year old guy, with a promising future, needs back surgery.

SOS and water stains on the ceiling? Really?

MChambers
12-28-2013, 03:57 PM
I also think he may go down along with JMM as two big men who made really, really foolish NBA draft decisions as freshmen. Both guys were projected as clear top 10 picks in the draft, perhaps even top 5. JMM would not even sniff the first round at this point and seems likely to be a mid-late 2nd rounder after his senior year next year. McGary is fast on his way to the same fate.

No, on the other hand, we saw something similar a few years back when McJosh was a lottery kid as a freshman but came back and had a, in NBA terms, disappointing soph season at Duke casing him to fall into the middle of the 2nd round. He bounced around the league a bit, struggling to find a home and a role but seems to have really begun to blossom in Charlotte. He's making $3 mil+ a year right now and will be a free agent at the end of this season. I suspect he will command even bigger bucks in the off-season.

-Jason "Charlotte is really running their O through Josh a lot. He is piling up crazy assist numbers for a PF" Evans
Just because they would have gone higher if they jumped to the NBA doesn't mean they made a bad decision. They would have gotten decent, but not amazing, contracts and in three they might have been playing overseas. See the discussion about Austin Rivers in the NBA thread.

Newton_14
12-28-2013, 07:34 PM
I never like to see a kid get hurt no matter what. Wishing McGary a speedy recovery, and hopefully he can get his body back to the state he needs it to be to play hoops at the best of his abilities.

I have to say watching his antics in Cameron during warmups and during the introduction of the starting lineups was very off-putting. I was shocked, and wondered if the success he had in the tourney last March had swelled his head a bit and was hurting his play this season. So hopefully he can also regain the proper focus while rehabbing his back injury, and come back healthy and with the proper frame of mind. A lot of talent there if he can put it all together.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

luburch
12-28-2013, 10:20 PM
I said that from the start. He was never going to live up to that run without Trey Burke and Hardaway. McGary reminds me a lot of Mark Madsen.

Exactly this. McGary benefited from not being the primary focus last year, and got hot at the right time. He may not have been ready for the NBA, but his stock was never going to be higher.

tommy
12-29-2013, 02:07 AM

Not even close. McGary's athleticism is miles and miles above where Mark Madsen was, as is his overall skill set. Madsen played harder than anybody else, and that took him far, but he did not possess near the talent that Mitch McGary does.

westwall
12-29-2013, 09:43 AM
I have to say watching his antics in Cameron during warmups and during the introduction of the starting lineups was very off-putting.

I also saw his gyrations during the introductions, and have wondered whether those contributed to his back problems.

Newton_14
12-29-2013, 02:12 PM
I also saw his gyrations during the introductions, and have wondered whether those contributed to his back problems.

They certainly didn't help the back. To expand on it, during warmups, he did nothing but hotdog it the entire time. Every pass to the teammate going for the layup was showtime with mustard. Behind the back, between the legs, etc. Every shot he took was the same. He did not take a single shot or layup attempt in a manner that he would actually take it in the game. I was raised with fine coaches who stressed over and over that if you practiced like crap, you would play like crap. I was shocked at the antics to be honest. Then during starter intro he pulls out the "lean way back gyration, dance routine" using his best Dancin Danny Green impression. Just thought it very odd. I have no issue with kids having fun, but when preparing to play a huge game like Duke in Cameron, I would have expected a serious approach to prepare for the battle.

Like I said, I do wish him a very speedy recovery and hope he gets back to full health soon. A lot of talent there. He just needs to focus on becoming as good of a player as possible and drop the silly ego act.